Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: The Major

• Start Topic

When Agent Keen is questioned in court as a suspect in the murder of the DC Harbormaster, her unusual relationship with Red and their task force falls under scrutiny. Meanwhile, Red enlists Cooper and Ressler to locate "The Major," a dangerous former associate who is key in keeping Liz out of prison.

I can't believe they are dragging out this court case for another episode.  Because this was so boring.

The only useful part was we found out that Red hired Tom first, and that Berlin paid off the Major to get Tom to work for him.

How did the harbormaster turn into a police officer ?  Because now it's all about how Lizzie shot a cop.

The preview teaser contained the phrase "Will Lizzie go to prison ?" -- really ? Do the clowns that run this show honestly expect the viewers to believe that there is any chance Lizzie goes to prison for this stupid sub-plot ?

• Love 1

I am confused. My understanding is that the absolute majority of Blacklisters have been murderers and occasional slightly less violent creepazoids like the guy who inseminated kidnapped women, for example. This is all horrible and tragic, to be sure, but how exactly is catching those guys a matter of national security

• Love 2

They must think there are so many new viewers (because of going from Monday to Thursday, I guess) that they need to recap the entire show.  What a waste of time. 

I wondered when someone would mention the "I suck" part.

• Love 2

Seriously?  Clip shows are still a thing?  I really can't remember the last time I've watch a series that had a clip show.  Are they already running out of ideas, already?  

At least it was kind of fun watching John Finn chew the scenery as the judge. And, did the show totally acknowledge that Lizzie kind of sucks at the whole profiling thing?  Sure, they tried to sell it as a badass moment somehow, but that still doesn't change the fact that she basically admitted everyone is duping her.  Hilarious.

Oh, and the Tom backstory was kind of cool, plus learning more about how Red hired him from "The Major."

Besides that... what is going on?  This show was never perfect, but I remember it being more fun then this.  Now, I feel like I'm watching James Spader battle Kevin Bacon over on The Following over which normally dignified actor is slumming it the most.

• Love 6

I am feeling very uncomfortable watching this episode, simply because the behavior of the judge. If Homeland ever teaches us, once an investigation of a crime is taken over by the CIA in the name of national security, then it is over. Local law enforcement can not even get to the crime scene anymore. Here, the judge actively seeks for information he is not supposedly privy into. Not to mention that the whole conversation is on the record. Do the judge and the stenographer have security clearance?

Homeland aside, what is the purpose of the judge's discussion with Lizzie about Red, about Tom, about her life, her career, her choice? None of it is pertinent with the case in hand. Also, he forces Lizzie to incriminate herself multiple times.

Edited by TV Anonymous
  • Love 10

I also agree that this episode felt like a waste of time, but not because of the clips- the clips were kind of fun- but because in the end, it served no purpose. We knew Liz was going to trial before the episode and now we know afterwards that she is.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the judge is working for someone that needs intel on Red, which is why he asked all those questions about Lizzie's work. It's the only explanation that makes sense to me for that entire dance. None of it at all was relevant, and I got the sense, as Lizzie was talking, that she was revealing way too much. If the judge wanted to find out what kind of work she was doing, then he had to subpoena the appropriate person. I'd also imagine, at that point, that there'd be a different judge in charge- like maybe a military tribunal or something, whatever it would be that would have clearance in that matter, just not the outright public system.

I did actually find the case of the week interesting, because we learned why Red hired Tom and that Tom turned on him- which is probably why Red came out of hiding for The Pilot. I just think it was a bit too convenient that all Red needed to do to find The Major was find one guy- it seemed easy, too easy. Plus, how did Red know that the Malayasian guy was connected to The Major in the first place? This would have been better if there was an actual investigation, not a simple kidnapping.

(Did dig the mention of the Sinaloan cartel...Sinaloa's been one of my favourite places to read about in Mexico and has been for a while)

Ultimately, the reason for a "quick" show I think has to do with the fact it's all about next week. Just the title alone says it all and I can't wait actually.

I just hope it doesn't mean that Tom isn't long for this show, because that would be a shame.

• Love 3

I ended up fast forwarding through half of the episode because I cannot stand being reminded of how awful Elizabeth is as an FBI agent. The show used to be really awesome but I have no idea what happened to it.

• Love 3

I liked that the judge was a stand-in for the skeptical audience. The concept behind this series is quite frankly ridiculous and actually having someone say "You expect me to believe that?!" is a long-overdue moment.

I can't recall any really specific cases but haven't several of them been newsworthy? I guess the existence of the task force isn't in doubt but I did find myself wondering why Lizzie didn't say "You remember when this or that had to be shut down?"

Lizzie keeps insisting that Tom is dead even though she knows otherwise. I don't get why she would take the blame for a murder he committed though.

Add me to the list of people who believes that the national security apparatus could easily overrule this overly curious judge.

• Love 4

I did actually find the case of the week interesting, because we learned why Red hired Tom and that Tom turned on him

Actually, Red didn't exactly say what he hired Tom for. However, the scene with Dembe and the Major's response that he didn't expect Tom to get "emotionally involved," makes me scared that it had something to do with Lizzie after all.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 1

You know, I've always thought she had no facial expressions to speak of, but I never noticed before that Megan Boone-as-Lizzie's jaw barely moves when she's talking. Between that and her monotone line readings, all those facial closeups tonight looked uncannily like she's her own ventriloquist dummy. Which may be my new head canon, because she actually works pretty well as a semi-animate mannequin.

And yes, Lizzie dear, you really do suck as a profiler. The rest of us noticed there was something wrong with your perfect husband back when he practically hid your shoes and chained you to a radiator to force you to quit your job and adopt a baby you didn't want. And I agree that this episode must have been for the new viewers, because I kind of doubt that the surprise shower Tom threw for her where he let his biddy coworkers call her a bad mother before she caught him in their bedroom with his mistress would count as a misty watercolor memory of his perfection even for someone as insight-challenged as Lizzie.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 5

Maybe the lengthy trial scenes will spice this show up a bit. I for one miss Alan Shore chewing the scenery in his closing arguments. He can bring Denny Crane to occasionally shoot the judge and court reporter with a paint gun. What fun!

• Love 4

Maybe the lengthy trial scenes will spice this show up a bit. I for one miss Alan Shore chewing the scenery in his closing arguments. He can bring Denny Crane to occasionally shoot the judge and court reporter with a paint gun. What fun!

I'd die of laughter if they made a Boston Legal reference.

• Love 3

Is Blacklist more ridiculous / Ludacris than Scorpion?

No, but how about Scandal? State of Affairs?  How to Get Away with Murder?  So much to laugh at in each.  What this show has that the others do not, however, is James Spader.  So I'll keep watching after the others have been deleted from my DVR. 

• Love 3

Seriously?  Clip shows are still a thing?  I really can't remember the last time I've watch a series that had a clip show.  Are they already running out of ideas, already?  

At least it was kind of fun watching John Finn chew the scenery as the judge. And, did the show totally acknowledge that Lizzie kind of sucks at the whole profiling thing?  Sure, they tried to sell it as a badass moment somehow, but that still doesn't change the fact that she basically admitted everyone is duping her.  Hilarious.

Oh, and the Tom backstory was kind of cool, plus learning more about how Red hired him from "The Major."

Besides that... what is going on?  This show was never perfect, but I remember it being more fun then this.  Now, I feel like I'm watching James Spader battle Kevin Bacon over on The Following over which normally dignified actor is slumming it the most.

I so wanted to enjoy The Following enough to keep watching it, but I had to stop in the first season when someone was teaching the child to enjoy killing small animals.  I adore Kevin Bacon, but even he couldn't entice me back after that.  This one so far I can tolerate for the sake of the scenes with James Spader. 

• Love 4

Could I have hated this episode more? Yes, a clip show to catch new viewers up on what's going on. ARE there any new viewers? The last clip show I saw was Seinfeld. Until last night.

So Lizzie admits to KILLING Tom? Okay, there's grounds for imprisonment right there, Harbormaster be damned.

While I was ambivalent about her before, I now officially hate Lizzie and wish she would get sent to prison/executed/anything to get her off this show. Then it could be the Red/Dembe/Donald Show. I totally would be in for that. She couldn't shut the freak up about anything, volunteering info that goes way beyond what the judge asked? Please. You're the homeland security threat, Lizzie.

Then when she shouted "I SUCK!" I couldn't agree more. I also agree her thread should be renamed to commemorate Lizzie finally realizing what everyone else already thinks of her.

• Love 6
So Lizzie admits to KILLING Tom? Okay, there's grounds for imprisonment right there, Harbormaster be damned.

So when Tom shows up alive, they should also be able to get her on perjury charges.

I couldn't believe when Lizzie was prattling on about all this classified stuff in front of the court stenographer -- whom I doubt had security clearance.  I expect the judge didn't have security clearance either -- because he was surprised that they both moved the courtroom and cleared out the entire floor.

There had better be some big payoff for all this dead harbormaster nonsense, because I expect it was all just an excuse for this clip show.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

and how ridiculous was the cop angle? This guy retired from harbormastering and became a cop? The other way around wouldn't be plausible but it would at least be within the realm of possibility.

• Love 3
My favorite scene was Liz "sorry for being so incompetant!" Scene. Kinda meta to the audience.

Oh, it was mega meta - it had layers! First, we have Elizabeth Keen yelling "I suck!" The judge is like, I am not quite sure what this is all about, but if you are going to get hysterical, let's just move on. I'm with the judge, I don't know whether it was supposed to be sarcasm, or wailing in self-pity, or some kind of catharsis, but I do agree with the sentiment - Lizzie sucks at profiling.

And then we have Megan Boone yelling "I suck!" Obviously, Megan Boone doesn't believe she sucks, but if she doesn't suck, then I should probably be clear on what it is she is trying to convey in this scene. So in a way, Megan Boone yelling "I suck!" while not believing it indicates that she may, in fact, suck, even though this is not the intent of the scene. It's a thing of beauty, really.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the judge is working for someone that needs intel on Red, which is why he asked all those questions about Lizzie's work. It's the only explanation that makes sense to me for that entire dance. None of it at all was relevant, and I got the sense, as Lizzie was talking, that she was revealing way too much. If the judge wanted to find out what kind of work she was doing, then he had to subpoena the appropriate person.

I kept thinking there was some other reason, because he didn't need any of that information to make a decision.  I actually wondered if this was some FBI test of Lizzy and whether she could handle interrogation (FAIL!).  But it was stupid.  There is also the FISA Court, which specifically handles national security court matters. 

But it did bring up the insanity of the FBI handling national security, them going overseas, Lizzy the newbie being such a badass physically, etc.  How do I get that hour (ok 42 minutes, I started in late so I could fast forward through commercials) back??

It reminded me, as others have said, I only watch for Spader.  Any other actor and I would have left long ago. 

• Love 6
I ended up fast forwarding through half of the episode because I cannot stand being reminded of how awful Elizabeth is as an FBI agent. The show used to be really awesome but I have no idea what happened to it.

Lizzie has *always* sucked, so I'm not sure what you liked so much before. Everything else is largely the same, except that the black listers have become less about brains and more about ick.

So when Tom shows up alive, they should also be able to get her on perjury charges.

We viewers should be so lucky.

I was totally waiting for the judge to ask the FBI head guy just WHOM Lizzie was searching for on that boat. Since, of course, the head guy doesn't have a clue what Lizzie was doing or what her fake story was. Then he'd go down for perjury too, and we can entirely skip over his "I'm going to die anyway" storyline.

I've had a bad feeling for two episodes now that the detective guy is going to die instead. And he's been a brilliant addition to this show so far. Maybe a Red/Donald/Dembe/Detective series?

• Love 1

Wow.  What a waste of an hour!   And how does Lizzy know that the nosy judge may not be part of the group that wants The Fulcrum as badly as Red wants it?   Yep, Lizzy, you suck indeed.

James Spader deserves every dime of his paycheck.  Without him this show would be totally unwatchable on so many levels.   I guess that the main reason I'm still watching this show is to partake of the fun on this forum.  

• Love 5

I kept thinking there was some other reason, because he didn't need any of that information to make a decision.  I actually wondered if this was some FBI test of Lizzy and whether she could handle interrogation (FAIL!).  But it was stupid.  There is also the FISA Court, which specifically handles national security court matters. 

But it did bring up the insanity of the FBI handling national security, them going overseas, Lizzy the newbie being such a badass physically, etc.  How do I get that hour (ok 42 minutes, I started in late so I could fast forward through commercials) back??

It reminded me, as others have said, I only watch for Spader.  Any other actor and I would have left long ago. 

Thank you, yes, there was no way on God's green earth this could have gone down this way.  If national security really were so cavalierly treated by anyone, we would be in for a lot, a lot of trouble.  Crazy show.  I am so willing to suspend disbelief for the sake of a good plot, but not for a really, stinking, lousy one.

• Love 1

I am feeling very uncomfortable watching this episode, simply because the behavior of the judge. If Homeland ever teaches us, once an investigation of a crime is taken over by the CIA in the name of national security, then it is over. Local law enforcement can not even get to the crime scene anymore. Here, the judge actively seeks for information he is not supposedly privy into. Not to mention that the whole conversation is on the record. Do the judge and the stenographer have security clearance?

Homeland aside, what is the purpose of the judge's discussion with Lizzie about Red, about Tom, about her life, her career, her choice? None of it is pertinent with the case in hand. Also, he forces Lizzie to incriminate herself multiple times.

I also agree that this episode felt like a waste of time, but not because of the clips- the clips were kind of fun- but because in the end, it served no purpose. We knew Liz was going to trial before the episode and now we know afterwards that she is.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the judge is working for someone that needs intel on Red, which is why he asked all those questions about Lizzie's work. It's the only explanation that makes sense to me for that entire dance. None of it at all was relevant, and I got the sense, as Lizzie was talking, that she was revealing way too much. If the judge wanted to find out what kind of work she was doing, then he had to subpoena the appropriate person. I'd also imagine, at that point, that there'd be a different judge in charge- like maybe a military tribunal or something, whatever it would be that would have clearance in that matter, just not the outright public system.

I did actually find the case of the week interesting, because we learned why Red hired Tom and that Tom turned on him- which is probably why Red came out of hiding for The Pilot. I just think it was a bit too convenient that all Red needed to do to find The Major was find one guy- it seemed easy, too easy. Plus, how did Red know that the Malayasian guy was connected to The Major in the first place? This would have been better if there was an actual investigation, not a simple kidnapping.

(Did dig the mention of the Sinaloan cartel...Sinaloa's been one of my favourite places to read about in Mexico and has been for a while)

Ultimately, the reason for a "quick" show I think has to do with the fact it's all about next week. Just the title alone says it all and I can't wait actually.

I just hope it doesn't mean that Tom isn't long for this show, because that would be a shame.

ME THREE! Absolutely think the judge has a nefarious ulterior motive.

naturally, my DVR crapped out just as Dembe turned to Red and said "Raymond, you must tell her the truth. You..."  What did he say, please?

And she mentioned the dog!!!

Wasn't she entitled to legal representation during the chambers discussion?

I cackled at Red' discourse on having to go to the cockfight. HA!

• Love 1

I've always liked Lizzy. There, I said it.

Obviously, James Spader is, without a doubt, far and above the best on the show but I've never had a problem with Megan Boone's acting. I also wish Tom hadn't had to shave his head; I find buzzcuts very unattractive. Looks-wise, no matter how good-looking the face is, a buzzcut pretty much cancels the appeal to me. I thought Tom looked so hot with long hair--rowr!

• Love 4
I've had a bad feeling for two episodes now that the detective guy is going to die instead.

Lizzie was stalking him at the end of one episode.

And she mentioned the dog!!!

I know.  But the dog hasn't been seen in 6 or 7 episodes.  Maybe he went to a nice farm upstate. </snark>

• Love 1

I actually like that Liz isn't super-awesome at every little thing under the sun, that she's only been a profiler for eighteen momths and that she's not an expert at it.  I feel like she's the underdog and I'm rooting for her to continue to learn and improve, but of course I do have to question why she told the judge that Tom is dead and that she refers to him as her ex-husband.  She should actually be saying her non-husband because Tom doesn't actually exist.  I guess Jacob Phelps doesn't flow off the tongue as easily as Tom Keen :)

Now I have a question about Red and Tom.  Are we supposed to believe that Red hired Tom specifically to get to Liz?  I think Red might have hired Tom for another purpose but then Berlin got the Major to turn on Red and then Tom was told to get close to Liz and in the middle of all of this myhem, Tom started to develop real feelings.  I'm loving the tragic quality of it all :)

The cop uncovering the coverup is rather fabulous--I hope he sticks around for awhile.

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 2

It reminded me, as others have said, I only watch for Spader.  Any other actor and I would have left long ago

Altho my Spader love knows no bounds, I gave up at the end of last season.

Except for Red, the characters are badly conceived and written.

There does not seem to be an end game/thru plot to make any season consistent, coherent or logical.

Finally, lovely a person tho' she may be, the actor playing Keen is no actor.  A good actor could at least lend some life to the character - a great actor could chew the scenery to dust and create an acting legend - one who could go toe to toe with the great Spader.

I rather think the judge is more interested in the Fulcrum than in getting info on the admissibility of evidence. I suspect he is part of the cabal.

If not he is a prime example of the arrogance of some judges in this country. His courtroom being his little kingdom. Not that most characters on this show are not the epitome of self-involved arrogance.

Still finding enough joy in Red's convoluted mind and Spaders acting to enjoy this show.

Edited by pcta
  • Love 2

I actually liked the judge, he being one of the few to call BS on Lizzie and her BS story. I want more of that, please.

I am no way "up" on what department where handles homeland security. Claire Danes works for the CIA; Lizzie works for the FBI. I'd think "a matter of national security" would be more in the CIA's ballpark, not the FBI's, and certainly not undertaken by a brand new kid out of Quantico, Lizzie, all by herself.

But that's just me. My opinion obviously isn't shared by writers of this show.

I rather think the judge is more interested in the Fulcrum than in getting info on the admissibility of evidence. I suspect he is part of the cabal.

Note that the judge did not ASK Lizzie anything about Fulcrum or, really, much else. Lizzie just got her mouth running and wouldn't shut up about anything. I say the judge is totally just that, a judge. Nothing more. Although now he (and the stenographer) are perfect targets to being kidnapped and killed. So there's that.

Edited by saber5055

The CIA isn't allowed to operate inside the US. But then, that's in this world, not in whatever world very special agent Mary Sue is being held in durance vile by one of the all-powerful municipal court judges who are the secret masters of the national security apparatus. I'll bet the CIA has does their laundry and walks their kids to school.

• Love 1

This clip show definitely felt like a wasted hour. Liz shared WAY too much with a judge. If the task judge is as important as they say, there definitely should have been a FISA warrant and there's no way any of their conversations would have taken place in the judge's chambers with a random court stenographer. They went to the trouble of switching the courtrooms and taking every single recording device only to go back to the judge's chambers where they all could have been planted?

I'm assuming the judge is on the take, that he's part of the group that Reddington is up against to acquire the Fulcrum and Liz was dumb enough to supply him with a wealth of information she never should have divulged. They didn't have enough to hold her and she had no compelling reason to talk because nothing has officially been brought against her, but she did anyway, just told all kinds of classified information to an "Associate Judge" no less and his court reporter. Makes zero sense and definitely a waste of an episode. The way Cooper shut down the judge's questioning and then they showed his notepad trying to connect the dots, makes it more likely that the judge is not what he seems. I hope so because at least then, this will make a bit more sense, even if it's just by a little bit. There's no explaining Liz telling all the task force's business without full top level security clearance of everyone in the room along with a full sweep of the judge's chambers.

Although the other parts of the episode with Red and learning more about Tom's background were quite good, there's no reason those couldn't have gone on alongside a more compelling storyline instead of a clip show that basically also helped to make us dislike Lizzie and her weak spy game even more.

• Love 3

I love it when Dembe actually speaks!!!

Would the detective even be able to keep investigating while Keene was in chambers with the judge?  Also, as others have pointed out, much of what the task force did would have made national news- the FBI involvement just would not have been mentioned.  Plus, is it so hard to imagine that there are major criminals that the criminal justice system does not know about? 

This episode was so frustrating.  

Harold kicks ass.  I hope he doesn't die.

Edited by gik910
  • Love 2