Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Joe's Story

• Start Topic

Shrinking the stomach makes them feel full. If they don't feel full they keep eating.

I don't get why that's so hard to understand.

People who undergo gastric bypass still have to change their behaviors and learn to deal with food differently; it's not just about not eating. For people with eating disorders, hunger or feeling full doesn't dictate whether or not they eat. And people who have gastric bypass can (and do) gain the weight back. And as a poster above pointed out, gastric bypass patients often have multiple ongoing health problems. Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 8

Btw, the amount a single adult can get in food stamps each mint varies by state. I was sick and unemployed for about 3 months in California in 2009 and go $200/month until I was healthy enough and able to find work (which was not easy). And that didn't buy much food. It can happen to anyone. I am not going to judge others, nor try to tell thrm what foods they should buy for THEMSELVES. I do have a problem, however, with my tax dollars mostly going to fund wars.

I agree. I too am on disability and know just how difficult it is to get it. I do not get SNAP benefits however.

Since SNAP benefits only go so far depending on what state you live in, what you purchase will make a difference on how far it will take you. You run out, there's no more until the next month. I can't see purchasing junk foods like chips and sweets as they are Hella expensive but unfortunately fresh produce can be expensive as well. Farm stands help, but you need cash for them. Mobility restrictions limit choices as well. Not all of us are fortunate to live near a well stocked grocery store that isn't loaded with crap foods like Aldi or Save a Lot.

• Love 6

Since SNAP benefits only go so far depending on what state you live in, what you purchase will make a difference on how far it will take you. 

That's because SNAP was never intended to cover your entire food bill: SUPPLEMENTAL Nutrition Assistance Program.  It's there so you don't starve to death, not to cover your entire food bill.

I was on WIC when I had my first baby in 2001 and it was very strict.  You could only buy exactly what the voucher said,  like for the baby formula, you had to buy the specific brand and size, and even for the cheese, you had to buy real cheese and not the imitation crap wrapped in plastic.  And it did not cover all the formula he used, I still had to buy a lot more, but it was a good help for us.

• Love 9
Guest dutronc

I also think it's kind of a problem that food assistance programs don't cover hot foods. A hot rotisserie chicken at the local supermarket is about $4 less than a raw roasting chicken in the butcher section, for example. 

I remember seeing a teaser for one of the patients being described as "an IT supervisor who works from home, but his new boss wants him back in the office." I thought it was going to be Joe, but I don't think Joe was ever mentioned as having a job. 

That's because SNAP was never intended to cover your entire food bill: SUPPLEMENTAL Nutrition Assistance Program. It's there so you don't starve to death, not to cover your entire food bill.

I was on WIC when I had my first baby in 2001 and it was very strict. You could only buy exactly what the voucher said, like for the baby formula, you had to buy the specific brand and size, and even for the cheese, you had to buy real cheese and not the imitation crap wrapped in plastic. And it did not cover all the formula he used, I still had to buy a lot more, but it was a good help for us.

while it is supplementary, it still needs to stretch as far as it will go.

I remember my sister being on WIC back in the late 80s. Even back then it certainly didn't go very far, but it sure helped. Back then, I seem to remember it covered milk, formula, cereal and peanut butter. Maybe cheese? I recall big bricks of government surplus cheese.

• Love 1

Now, if he can lose weight without the surgery, how about he just keeps going?  Why remove 3/4 of your stomach?  Why subject the body to such trauma?

Virtually all of us who end up needing bariatric surgery have lost weight without surgery. Two problems: 1) we can't lose enough weight and 2) we can't keep it off. I am sure Joe is no different. I know that when I decided on bariatric surgery (I was not as big as these folks, but over 350 lbs) I had lost a lot of weight multiple times in my life and always gained it back, plus more. There's a reason that bariatric surgery has orders of magnitude more success in long-term significant weight loss than diet and exercise without surgery.

I had 85% of my stomach removed. And it actually wasn't that big of a deal. The surgery was not particularly painful, I was back to feeling normal in a couple of weeks, and I don't and never felt traumatized. My life is very normal now -- but I'm 200 lbs less and doing things like running 10K's instead of spending all my time on the couch stuffing my face with cookies and bread.

I hope Joe does well and that we get a follow up with him.

Edited by Peanutbuttercup
  • Love 11
Guest dutronc

I've never had bariatric surgery, but this thread has inspired some research, and the evidence supports Peanutbuttercup's experience. Patients who have bariatric surgery are more successful at keeping the weight off long-term than conventional methods. That's why surgery is a reasonable and, in many cases, preferable option.

WIC coupons purchase the following monthly in our area, for a child over 1 year:

2 gallons of milk, skim or 1%

1 lb of cheese

1 quart of milk

2 boxes of certain cereals totaling 36 ounces

1 small jar of peanut butter or 1 bag of beans

1 dozen eggs

64 ounces of fruit juice or X number cans of frozen concentrate

2 loaves of whole wheat bread or X ounces corn tortillas

$8 in fresh or frozen fruit and/or veggies

• Love 4

I've never had bariatric surgery, but this thread has inspired some research, and the evidence supports Peanutbuttercup's experience. Patients who have bariatric surgery are more successful at keeping the weight off long-term than conventional methods. That's why surgery is a reasonable and, in many cases, preferable option.

I am curious as to what research you found. Did you research just people who weight hundreds of pounds over their normal weight or anyone who is considered overweight?

Guest dutronc

I am curious as to what research you found. Did you research just people who weight hundreds of pounds over their normal weight or anyone who is considered overweight?

I looked in medical research databases for things like "long term efficacy of weight loss/bariatric surgery vs. conventional methods" and found articles with lots of variables--types of surgery (gastric sleeve, roux-en-y, lap band), age, gender, degree of obesity, and even geography. There is a lot of research coming out of Sweden, Turkey, Brazil and other places in addition to the US, so there was a wide sample with similar conclusions. The papers were written by nutritionists, surgeons, and other health care professionals. Some studies were two years, others were longer.

Guest dutronc

I also discovered that bariatric surgery is not always recommended for patients with a BMI of less than 35, either, unless they have a secondary health condition like sleep apnea or diabetes. It's definitely worth researching because some of the indicators for a bariatric procedure are behavioral, certainly some people can succeed without the surgery, although sometimes the discussion takes a strange turn. Some people see obesity as a moral failing, and anything that seems like an easy path to redemption is undeserved.

Anyway, Joe. Kind of a blank canvas. I wonder what will happen to him.

I think they get so large because they're in huge denial about how much they weigh.  And not being able to step on a scale helps them stay in denial. 

And not wearing pants at all.  When I've gone into the mode to lose in the past, I've usually gotten the wakeup call from my pants getting too snug.

Edited by cheatincheetos
  • Love 3

And not wearing pants at all.  When I've gone into the mode to lose in the past, I've usually gotten the wakeup call from my pants getting too snug.

Definitely this. Without the waistband to judge, they simply have the fit of their gown/t-shirt.

Definitely this. Without the waistband to judge, they simply have the fit of their gown/t-shirt.

No firsthand experience with outright obesity, but I'm guessing that even with no clothes on and almost no motion, and aside from the pressure on the vitals that kind of fat mass has to be very uncomfortable, chafing, stretching the skin, etc. Those follow-up operations where just the excess skin removed weighed 60 lbs or more...ugh.

Also, this:

https://40.media.tumblr.com/7f93ec26b5088200055ced83124d0a6b/tumblr_n270wcuwaX1qh59n0o6_500.png

Edited by cheatincheetos
  • Love 2

Maybe I am getting weary of the stories, but I am starting to lose sympathy for these folks. So you have someone who is basically immobile because of food, who can't wipe their behind, can bathe alone, can't shop or prep meals. They and all the people around them know that the food is killing them. Yet continue to eat and feed the bad stuff, exacerbating the problem. I'm sorry, but  how effed up is that?Most admit they are demanding, but so what? Anyone who has ever raised children know that they are demanding, stubborn little creatures who want what they want when they want it. So they cry and complain and as a parent, you just learn to zone it out, because you know that if you give in, kids will run over you. I realize these are adults we are talking about here, but much of the same parent/child dynamic  exists in these relationships. Even if the enabler says no ice cream and soda, that in and of itself would lead to weight loss. 

BTW, the mom in the ep had to have something wrong with her. She barely spoke and had a vacant look on the face most of the time, not to mention that she had to be pushing 500 pounds herself. 

• Love 11

I hope we eventually get an update on Joe. I was looking forward to this episode because Joe lives in my hometown, but the episode was just a whole lotta waiting around. I hope he does well. I think trying to get Joe eating healthier, though, is an uphill battle so long as his mother is his caretaker. It was a very depressing episode.

• Love 1

No firsthand experience with outright obesity, but I'm guessing that even with no clothes on and almost no motion, and aside from the pressure on the vitals that kind of fat mass has to be very uncomfortable, chafing, stretching the skin, etc. Those follow-up operations where just the excess skin removed weighed 60 lbs or more...ugh.

Also, this:

https://40.media.tumblr.com/7f93ec26b5088200055ced83124d0a6b/tumblr_n270wcuwaX1qh59n0o6_500.png

Uncomfortable, yes but since it's a constant discomfort they are bound to get use to it to some extent which will keep them from realizing just how much they are gaining. Unlike when you wear something with a waistband and can feel the difference immediately. 

I've gained and lost weight my entire adult life.  The point at which I know I have to lose is when I have trouble reaching around to wipe (TMI, sorry).  For me, at 5'4", that point comes at around 250 pounds.  I, personally, can't imagine getting so large that I can't perform that function for myself and it amazes me that people go so much farther with the gains.

You'd think that my wake up call would come far before 250, and I guess it would if I had a healthy relationship with food, but that's my personal breaking point.

• Love 5

I've gained and lost weight my entire adult life.  The point at which I know I have to lose is when I have trouble reaching around to wipe (TMI, sorry).  For me, at 5'4", that point comes at around 250 pounds.  I, personally, can't imagine getting so large that I can't perform that function for myself and it amazes me that people go so much farther with the gains.

You'd think that my wake up call would come far before 250, and I guess it would if I had a healthy relationship with food, but that's my personal breaking point.

See, this right here.  If reaching around to wipe isn't their breaking point, shouldn't that be the breaking point of whoever their caretaker would be?  Cause I promise you if my husband ever got to the point where I had to wipe his ass cause he couldn't lay off the Double Cheeseburgers, those would be the LAST double cheeseburgers to come in that house.  You can eat whatever the hell you want as long as at the end of it  it doesnt involve me wiping ya ass.

I have to have a conversation w my hubby.  Unless it's cancer or some non-self inflicted ailment, ass-wiping is a deal breaker.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 16

Usually if the caretaker is a parent, the parent feels guilty for letting the child get that way so they give the child whatever they want and the child just runs over them with more guilt if they don't get what they want.  It's just a vicious cycle.

Spouses/significant others as caretakers probably have some deep seeded issues of their own and for whatever reason feel like they can not be without the person they are taking care of. So they don't want them to get mad at them either (or like some partners, don't want them to lose the weight and leave). 

When it's a child being the caretaker I think they're just completely brainwashed. 

I don't think it's as easy as to tell them no or not get them the food they want. 

• Love 1

From what we saw, unless there is something I missed, Joe is taking care of his own personal hygiene.  He even mentioned he would be too humiliated to ask someone else to bathe him.  There are assistance devices specifically created to help people with issues like wiping and cleaning themselves, putting on clothing if you cannot reach your feet, etc.  As a person with a disability (not weight related), I have used various items. (I have fortunately always been able to wipe myself without an assistance device).  

• Love 4

Bingo!  You can live long term on low carb, you can't do low carb and low fat for more than a couple weeks.  Why do so many people still think fat/cholesterol in food=fat/Cholesterol in body.  It's like saying a calorie is just a calorie, which it's much more complicated than that.  Google Gary Taubes (I bet flappa1016 already knows who he is).

I love Gary Taubes.  And Nina Teicholz has expanded on his thesis in her book that was published last year (which is the next book in my Kindle queue).

• Love 3

I've gained and lost weight my entire adult life. The point at which I know I have to lose is when I have trouble reaching around to wipe (TMI, sorry). For me, at 5'4", that point comes at around 250 pounds. I, personally, can't imagine getting so large that I can't perform that function for myself and it amazes me that people go so much farther with the gains.

The make things to help with this. A long, arm-type device that reaches way back. Ugh. But they are out there and people buy them.

See, this right here. If reaching around to wipe isn't their breaking point, shouldn't that be the breaking point of whoever their caretaker would be? Cause I promise you if my husband ever got to the point where I had to wipe his ass cause he couldn't lay off the Double Cheeseburgers, those would be the LAST double cheeseburgers to come in that house. You can eat whatever the hell you want as long as at the end of it it doesnt involve me wiping ya ass.

I have to have a conversation w my hubby. Unless it's cancer or some non-self inflicted ailment, ass-wiping is a deal breaker.

What if the person got cancer from years of smoking? Still not self-inflicted? A slippery slope. Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 1

I caught part of Joe's story again last night while waiting for the new episode.  God bless him...he touches my heart.  When he tried to chuckle over his pain while speaking with the therapist - so poignant.  Working hard by walking around the apartment complex, nodding, looking around - so courageous.  Joe, I hope you read this (I don't know where else to post).  You seem like such a pleasant, nice guy and when you're thinner you'll be handsome too.   You don't deserve to be so lonely.  Please continue your weight loss and mastering your life, and I hope that you meet a nice woman to share your life with.  I'm a married old broad, no use to you in this aspect, but I really and truly pray that you will succeed in life.

• Love 9
Guest dutronc

I just did some research and it looks like there is strong, repeated evidence for a correlation between divorced parents and childhood obesity. I don't know if the patients themselves could articulate the cause of this, but I would guess it's something fairly straightforward, like eating for comfort. A few other studies suggest a biochemical or neurological reaction to stress, which could trigger poor eating habits or perhaps bad processing of food. It's been well-documented that childhood stress has long-lasting effects, so an unstable household where parents are fighting all the, and caretaking is disrupted is not so very far from other sorts of stressors. 

It's also interesting how in the families where people connected their parents' divorces to their weight problems, they were the only truly heavy sibling. Off the top of my head, I'd say this applies to Christina, Ashley, Joe and even Penny, although she's a lying liar, so who knows with her. 

Edited by dutronc
Guest dutronc

Probably that, too. Some of the studies looked parental engagement, activities and other things. In any case, it's a complicated topic with no simple solutions.

Joe seemed to be cooking healthier things for himself, and I really hoped he'd start cooking for his mother.
At the beginning, I thought she was able to walk, but by the end, she was in the wheelchair most of the time.

I saw one of those advertised a few days ago. "My Shiny Hiney". What will they think of next.

No way am I going to that up. 
I'm not having that follow me around via ads. 

• Love 3

When I was in middle school or junior high maybe (somewhere in between) I was on the bigger size for my age and I very clearly remember my mom saying "if you lose weight I will buy you an entire new wardrobe" and at the time I'm like "eh, who cares".  I just don't think (most) kids think/care about being healthy.

Although I'm sure my mom would completely deny she ever said that lol 

• Love 2

I hope we eventually get an update on Joe. I was looking forward to this episode because Joe lives in my hometown, but the episode was just a whole lotta waiting around. I hope he does well. I think trying to get Joe eating healthier, though, is an uphill battle so long as his mother is his caretaker. It was a very depressing episode.

I want to hear about Joe too.  I hope TLC reads this board.  He really touched my heart.  Hey, if you ever see him let him know somebody(me) is rooting for him. 

• Love 2

When they get to be over 500 pounds and have not had a breaking point yet, I'd say the relationship between them and their caregiver is super complex. Normal people have a breaking point or have a spouse who would say "Im not wiping you, no more cheeseburgers" and they would never get to the 500 pound mark. It's an intertwined mess of psychological and relationship issues between the people involved that causes this tragic situation that is so out-of-hand.

the Joe story kills me as he is the spitting image of a young man I know - sounds and looks exactly like him- except he is a normal weight. That boy is 28 years old and mildy mentally disabled- he is best friends with my mentally challenged son. It is just so weird to see his doppelganger in Joe. Especially the voice! the face is identical, the glasses are identical. 

Edited by Bellalisa
  • Love 2

From what we saw, unless there is something I missed, Joe is taking care of his own personal hygiene.  He even mentioned he would be too humiliated to ask someone else to bathe him.  There are assistance devices specifically created to help people with issues like wiping and cleaning themselves, putting on clothing if you cannot reach your feet, etc.  As a person with a disability (not weight related), I have used various items. (I have fortunately always been able to wipe myself without an assistance device).  

I have a gripper - for picking up clothing, pulling up my pants etc and a contraption to put on socks (a half tube connected to a shoe horn type thing) that was created by the nurses on the orthopedic surgery floor, so I know what you are talking about. Got them after my second (and would have after the third had I not refused so someone else more needy since I already had a set could have them) hip surgery in late 2013. They helped me not be so dependent on my husband who was my caregiver while recovering.

Not an official note, but a call for mercy from your mod, please temper down the judgement. Many people use assistance to get through the day for many reasons not related to their behavior. It's possible that some of the people might still need help even if they were thin. I'd also encourage some soft eyes for the caretakers, they are responsible for their lives but some are probably mentally ill.

Less teeth, more snark, ok?

• Love 9

I just watched the Supersized episode for Joe, and I have even more respect for him (though I thought he was really pleasant before too, and seemed to be a good person with a good attitude). He went to a career counselor to discuss getting back into the workforce and apparently he used to do IT support with many people working under him. One of the little blurbs that pop up during the episode mentioned that he was working, and then working from home, and then was finally let go.
The show also showed his mother fixing him a salad with lots of vegetables...I was glad to see she is at least supporting him in that way if not with her own eating habits.
The only thing that kind of confused me is that when the scale showed 777 lbs on Joe's first visit with Dr. Now, Joe said he was so surprised he had gotten that heavy, but right after that a little blurb explained that he said his highest weight ever was 830 lbs. I guess I'm confused why then, the weight he saw on the scale would surprise him.
I hope we will see more people with Joe's attitude on this show. I'm rooting for him!

• Love 4

I also think it's kind of a problem that food assistance programs don't cover hot foods. A hot rotisserie chicken at the local supermarket is about $4 less than a raw roasting chicken in the butcher section, for example. 

I remember seeing a teaser for one of the patients being described as "an IT supervisor who works from home, but his new boss wants him back in the office." I thought it was going to be Joe, but I don't think Joe was ever mentioned as having a job.

It was him. I saw the supersized version (and later compared it to regular episode) and he later went to career counselor and said he worked in IT and then from home until they let him go. Also he said he lost his job in June so he was probably not working only less than year when he went to counselor. Wish they would have all this info in regular episode, it certainly changes the opinions about him.

Guest dutronc

It was him. I saw the supersized version (and later compared it to regular episode) and he later went to career counselor and said he worked in IT and then from home until they let him go. Also he said he lost his job in June so he was probably not working only less than year when he went to counselor. Wish they would have all this info in regular episode, it certainly changes the opinions about him.

Thank you! I didn't watch the Supersized episode, and you're 100% right--this is a huge piece of the story and could really profoundly shift opinions.

Where can the supersized episodes be found?

I just saw the Joe episode.   I wonder why he talks like an old man.   As for only one sibling in a divorced family being extremely overweight -- perhaps the other siblings have other addictions/struggles that don't manifest themselves in weight gain.   In my family -- three of us with divorced parents.  I eat too much, one sister drinks too much, and the other is a compulsive gambler.   Of the three, I'm the only one whose problem is worn on the hips. 

• Love 3

Thats what I thought too.  I kept saying he is a guy who looks more like a girl.  I was also wondering if the reason his father ignored him was because he acted feminine as a child?

This episode just gave me the willies.  I guess I cant take anymore of these bathroom scenes, the obese enablers and the rest of it.   The mother was strange too.

I am also very much against this surgery when the patient can clearly lose the weight without it.  Therapy, a nutritionist and exercise are such better options.

Why not praise the effort and success and build confidence to continue without the surgery?

Yep X 1000.

It just killed me when Joe's sister pulled out a box of Lean Pockets and made him both of them. I've seen folks do that and I always think, "a serving is clearly not the whole box!"  It looked like his mother walked in a few hours later with a bag of Taco Bell, going "Are you ready for dinner?" and Joe idly said "...sure!" Like, he was just feeling a wee bit peckish and why not partake, since he wasn't busy.

And it amazed me that Joe was eating as someone else was carrying his mattress out of the house! I know that Joe could not possibly manage to move the mattress. But you're going for weight loss surgery. People are helping you out. At least give them a sense that you're not throwing the opportunity away.

I'm living with anorexia myself (and am hoping to work with a nutritionist soon). But it amazed me that Joe "didn't know" that calories added up. Yes, he did. You could see how embarrassed he was - and that was uncomfortable. I felt for him. It's just strange how so many participants on this show are like, "I don't know how I got this way." 

ETA: I wish the show set up the obese person with nursing care/a professional caretaker, instead of giving them the option of trucking in family members. It'd be a good step toward independence

First bold: Right? WTF. 

Second: Sorry for your struggle but good on you for taking care of yourself. Woot :)

• Love 1
(edited)

I saw Joe's story for the first time the other night.  I almost broke out in tears with him when he went back to Dr Now's office, only to find he had put weight on, then the 2nd time, had not lost enough weight.  When the light bulb finally went off in his head, he was a champ! 

I do not know if the patient's do not understand the diet given to them or if they keep the same mindset of 'I can eat the same thing, just a bit less of it.'. 

There were a few times when I thought Joe had a very feminine look to him, not like the other guy who wore woman's clothing and carried a purse. 

I did not understand the issue with Mom either.  Can she not see that she has a weight issue herself.

There seems to be a few people here who have had these surgeries done.  I really admire you!  My sister in law has had it done twice, but has not been successful. 

I have been very lucky in my life with weight, I come from a Midwestern farming family on my mom's side, on my dad's side, a Midwestern depression era family.  Eating habits on both sides is poor, the heavy gravies, breads, cakes, etc.  I cannot think of anyone on either side who has weight issues as large as these, but there are weight issues.  My parents divorced when I was 14, we were uprooted & moved from our large, beautiful suburban home in the Chicago area to a smaller home in the Phoenix area, I was raped when I was 18 by someone I knew & ended up pregnant due to that rape, I gave the baby up. I have never used any of this as an excuse for any negativity in my life.  If anything, I feel it has all made me a stronger person.   Due to medical issues caused by a car accident, I dropped from 120 to 80# within a few months.  After a surgery in 2006, I began putting weight on & could not lose it for anything.  I will not go into all of the details, but almost a year ago, I cut sugar out of my diet, what a difference!  Even though I was hardly eating anything, I would actually go 2 days without eating, I would suck on those wonderful soft peppermints, pure sugar!  I have dropped 30 lbs just by stopping sugar, I am not wanting to be 80# again, but would like to be back to the 110-120 I am comfortable with. 

It seems as though every episode where a person relocates to Texas, they all have the same excuse, the only thing to eat while traveling is fast foods.  Today, there are so many healthier options than a huge, fatty hamburger or greasy chicken fingers, even at McDonalds.

One question I have regarding this procedure is soda.  I know a soft drink is just empty calories. I do enjoy a Coke Zero every couple of days, especially if we go to the movies.  Is it the carbonation that they are to be staying away from?  I do love just plain soda water, I have a Soda Streamer to make just plain fizzy water & put a slice of lemon in it.  Is that forbidden when you have this type of surgery? 

Edited by alegtostandon
  • Love 2

One question I have regarding this procedure is soda.  I know a soft drink is just empty calories. I do enjoy a Coke Zero every couple of days, especially if we go to the movies.  Is it the carbonation that they are to be staying away from?  I do love just plain soda water, I have a Soda Streamer to make just plain fizzy water & put a slice of lemon in it.  Is that forbidden when you have this type of surgery? 

Yes.  It supposedly stretches the stomach, but that could be an old wives tail.  I too enjoy a Coke Zero occasionally (I had the gastric sleeve done Sept 2014), but I can only take slow small sips, then I burp for hours after.  Totally worth it! LOL (I have lost 125 lbs so far).

• Love 2

Yes.  It supposedly stretches the stomach, but that could be an old wives tail.  I too enjoy a Coke Zero occasionally (I had the gastric sleeve done Sept 2014), but I can only take slow small sips, then I burp for hours after.  Totally worth it! LOL (I have lost 125 lbs so far).

Thank you, notyrmomma.  I was wondering if it had to do with the carbonation affecting the stomach. I am sure, just like many other things, moderation.  I remember there was one episode where the woman would stop at a fast food place & order one of those huge sodas, she said she knew it was a no no, but figured one every once in a whie would not hurt.  When she mentioned to Dr. Now that she was doing this, he really got upset at her. 

Congratulations on your weight loss!  I really admire you.  I know how tough it was for me to drop 40 lbs. 

• Love 2

Congratulations to both of you on your success!  I have been yo-yo dieting my entire life.  Now I'm trying a different approach--eating healthy and exercise--it's a real new idea for me (no pills, no new gimmicks--I've tried them all)!  I was considering surgery but thought I'd give this one last chance.  It's very slow but I think I'm onto something.  Also, haven't had a diet drink since January--now that was hard!

• Love 3