Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, they haven't paid for a meal since they set foot in FL. And Jill is now obsessed with trying to prove her kids eat.

People have been saying her kids look positively skeletal for years and she has only just found out?

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

People have been saying her kids look positively skeletal for years and she has only just found out?

Apparently. Timbits found the critical FB groups. Jill reported one (I think Pickles, but Tim didn't specify). Ever since, Jill has made it a point to first day that they don't starve their kids and post pics of the kids with food.

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, not you again said:

Agreed, but there's something about the color-coordinated dressy outfits and her overly done makeup and nails that screams "INTENTIONAL" to me.  It feels extremely contrived and planned but hey, if she wants to present this as a surprise/unexpected, go ahead; I'm cranky and old.  LOL

Come sit next to me...🍸

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
22 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, they haven't paid for a meal since they set foot in FL. And Jill is now obsessed with trying to prove her kids eat.

It’s the Winter 2020 Feed Our Starving Children Grifting Tour, to be followed by the 2020 Spring FOSCGT, followed by the Summer tour...As long as there are well meaning people willing to feed and entertain them, the grift bus will keep on rolling.

I’d like to see just ONE picture of Jill and David treating their hosts to a nice meal to thank them for their hospitality. That is the proper thing to do. I won’t hold my breath though. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 23

Sorry to be super snarky...Being a pastor in this branch of Christianity must be pretty lucrative for him to have a nice home with a swimming pool and a fishing boat. Most (if not all) of the clergy I know personally are not well off.  They are comfortable (Fed, clothes, roof over their heads) but do not live in fancy homes or drive posh cars. Isn’t there something in the Bible about rich men not getting into heaven...?  But I guess this goes by the wayside when it’s benefitting the Rods.  And as far as them repaying their hosts for their hospitality, they sang at their church...isn’t that enough?

• LOL 1
  • Love 23
7 hours ago, Zella said:

He is incredibly creepy-looking. The one advantage to running from David is you don't have to be a track star for him not to be able to keep up. 🤣

I found the fish more handsome than he is.LOL

• LOL 13
  • Love 3

I would be surprised if they even brought a hostess gift,as would be proper etiquette.

It would also be proper to do things like help w shopping,cooking and cleaning.My aunts would come to stay w us growing up,and they really earned their keep.They cooked,shopped and even ironed the clothes in my closet 🙂

Edited by sondraK
  • Love 10

I really hope Nathan and Nurie will be happy. I'm sure they're good kids, but this courtship feels forced, even by Fundie standards. It's like they're trying to play-act this happy couple, but the discomfort and insecurity radiates off them in waves.

• Love 14
25 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Why yes it is. 😁

My mind is a very weird place, admittedly, but that makes me think of an anecdote I once read about the black market in post-WWII Berlin. Apparently Soviet soldiers were bonkers for American watches, and you could sell them ridiculous watches (like ones with Mickey Mouse faces) and make out like a bandit because watches were considered very prestigious to them. Like, to the point they'd wear multiple watches at a time to show off their jazzy watches. 

All of that's a rambly preamble to explain my next comment: I feel like poor Nurie has a Soviet soldier's mindset about watches. 🤣   🤣 🤣  🤣  🤣

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 6
  • Love 7

Jill mentioned somewhere that the watch was a gift from Nathan. Nurie has probably never owned a real watch before, and this one is from her beloved. It has marks instead of numbers, so I hope she knows how to read the time. The curriculum at the Rodrigues (Traveling Circus) Family High School is a little sketchy. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4
Just now, BradandJanet said:

Jill mentioned somewhere that the watch was a gift from Nathan. Nurie has probably never owned a real watch before, and this one is from her beloved. It has marks instead of numbers, so I hope she knows how to read the time. The curriculum at the Rodrigues (Traveling Circus) Family High School is a little sketchy. 

I wondered where it came from. Her family certainly wasn't ponying up any money for it. . . .

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Zella said:

My mind is a very weird place, admittedly, but that makes me think of an anecdote I once read about the black market in post-WWII Berlin. Apparently Soviet soldiers were bonkers for American watches, and you could sell them ridiculous watches (like ones with Mickey Mouse faces) and make out like a bandit because watches were considered very prestigious to them. Like, to the point they'd wear multiple watches at a time to show off their jazzy watches. 

All of that's a rambly preamble to explain my next comment: I feel like poor Nurie has a Soviet mindset about watches. 🤣   🤣 🤣  🤣  🤣

I traveled in Eastern Europe in the 1960's wearing double knit polyester. People approached me on the streets in several countries wanting to touch my clothes and sometimes offering to buy what I had on--and my watch, headband, purse, nylon stocking, shoes. Everything. I didn't sell anything because the police were certainly watching, and I needed the few items I had brought. 

I think the watch Nathan gave Nurie is appropriate for their emotional ages of about 9. 

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
30 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Sarah Mally's wedding is set for May 2nd. It's little more than four months after the engagement.  She is currently 41/40 years and has been dating/courting the guy for several years. 

Wow.You'd think they'd be worried about her internal time clock and want to get her married off sooner 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

I’m sorry, I know this is unkind, but what in God’s name is wrong with his face? 

My theory is he is someone else's Dorian Gray painting. . . .

• LOL 16
  • Love 2
On 2/22/2020 at 8:28 PM, Absolom said:

MacArthur's Calvinism and the Southern Baptist Convention are commonly known as conservative evangelical problematic as any categorizing can be.  Fundies are even "fundier" going with things like King James only, absolutely literal interpretation of the Bible, and some other weird to many of us things.  What makes them fundie isn't their political or sociological views although those are frequently reprehensible.

Reformed Presbyterians (the church I grew up in and what MacArthur is) very much believe in the absolutely literal interpretation of the bible, though. The motto of the RP church is "Sola Scriptura," only Scripture. King James only is quirky, but so is rejecting instruments like my church because they aren't mentioned in the New Testament.

On 2/23/2020 at 8:07 PM, BitterApple said:

Just like Carlin and Katie Bates, Michelle is beautiful and her fiance is a total dweeb. I know looks aren't everything, but she could do way better. I don't know why there's a flurry of young girls settling for the first guy who comes there way. It's like they're afraid they'll fall victim to the Jana Duggar Curse.

Looks really aren't everything, though. I can't imagine deciding whether or not to marry someone based on their looks. He looks fine. I'm much more concerned with how young they are.

• Love 8

I would have died of embarrassment if my mom had posted pictures and stories of me and any of my boyfriends when I was younger. Hell, I'm way old and I'd die if she did it now. It's just weird to me that Jill is so involved in their relationship.

• Love 19

Jill is a spotlight leech. If anyone else is getting attention she’ll insert herself dead in the center of it. It’s not like Nurie is going to tell her to knock it off.

Just wait until the wedding...my money is on a simultaneous vow renewal with Jill and Nurie wearing identical dresses.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

The whole first kiss/wedding night thing is so wrong. It all really hit me when they filmed Jeremy and Jinger the morning after their wedding in the hotel room. Between Jinger's demeanor and the unmade beds, it all felt so intrusive. I try very hard now to skim past any mention they make of first kiss/wedding night stuff.

• Love 20
18 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The whole first kiss/wedding night thing is so wrong. It all really hit me when they filmed Jeremy and Jinger the morning after their wedding in the hotel room. Between Jinger's demeanor and the unmade beds, it all felt so intrusive. I try very hard now to skim past any mention they make of first kiss/wedding night stuff.

OMG! Seriously, they actually filmed that? FFS...

• Love 5