Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

What crazy Mormons?

The Lafferty brothers.  They weren't mainline Mormons, more break-away polygamist LDS who believed they'd received a revelation from God that they needed to murder three people.  Krakauer wrote a pretty good book on it.

• Love 3

The Lafferty brothers.  They weren't mainline Mormons, more break-away polygamist LDS who believed they'd received a revelation from God that they needed to murder three people.  Krakauer wrote a pretty good book on it.

[sarcasm]They sound like charming people [/sarcasm]

• Love 2

Yes his childhood does seem very nice and they do value work over donations.  The thing that bothered me the most I think is that he was expected to share his journal with his parents - even into adulthood.  He didn't seem to be allowed private thought or to make his own decisions.  He really wanted to wait to age 28 (at least) to get married but was pushed into it by his parents.  I don't think he had a lot of true chances to be an individual with private thoughts or any contrary opinions.  Also Gothard was a big part of the family's influence and David seems to idolize both Gothard and the Duggars.  David tends to write with rose colored glasses and I think he strays from the truth pretty frequently (Halloween story for example).  

All true, and yet still they seem like a far healthier family than the Duggars. 

Edited by Purpose to defraud

He may. Or he may be the kind of person who squelches the hell out of that dialogue before it utters more than one syllable. Could go either way. If it's the first, I think he might eventually walk away, having realized some truths about himself and its incompatibility with his life. If it's the second, he may go nuts eventually from all the crap that's churning but nevertheless buried and squelched deep down in his mind.

Sad but true. If indeed David is struggling with his sexuality, he may well have, or end up with, an anxiety and/or depressive disorder. Which may compound the situation even more, depending on their views of mental health disorders.

• Love 1

I don't know if the Bates have their own thread some place else, but I had something to say about the Bates and picked this thread.

So for those people who don't follow politics, Boehner (Speaker of the House) resigned. Now the republicans are trying to elect a new Speaker of the House (of Representatives). There are (according to last night's Rachel Maddow) 25 candidates and counting. Later I learned when googling the Bates family is that Alyssa Bates's father-in-law Daniel Webster (I didn't know that was his name, but that's his name) is running for speaker of the house. It does seem like he is a long shot.  

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2

*insert TFDW's screaming voice*  I saw a fundie today, I saw a fundie today. Right outside the Kohl's in Elmhurst, IL (right next door to  Oakbrook, IL where Gothard headquarters are at). She had the long, long hair and a denim skirt all the way down to the tip of her feet. I so wanted to talk to her but she got in her car before I could. lol 

• Love 6

There is a Bates forum in case you want to discuss them separately from the Duggars.

However, site policy is to avoid and minimize political talk. There are 18 kazillion Internet sites for political discussion - this is not one of them.

• Love 3

*insert TFDW's screaming voice*  I saw a fundie today, I saw a fundie today. Right outside the Kohl's in Elmhurst, IL (right next door to  Oakbrook, IL where Gothard headquarters are at). She had the long, long hair and a denim skirt all the way down to the tip of her feet. I so wanted to talk to her but she got in her car before I could. lol

Oh, I see those people in my Costco all the time. Only it turns out they're Jews. Indistinguishable, I swear. What is it about the denim skirts?

• Love 2

Oh, I see those people in my Costco all the time. Only it turns out they're Jews. Indistinguishable, I swear. What is it about the denim skirts?

I see the Jewish version but on the other side of Elmhurst. They wear beanies on their heads. This woman didn't look like the North Shore Jewish girls I see.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 2

http://rodriguesfamilyministries.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/IMG_0032-300x225.jpg

Blow up this picture and look at the poor child's rotten teeth. Jill Rodrigues's child. THIS is how most quiverfulls live.

Wow. I looked up the Rodrigues family on Google Images and it was like I was seeing House of 1000 Corpses again...

These are some SERIOUSLY freaky people. The plethora of black and white chevron maxi skirts just makes it that much more. 

<< shudder >>

• Love 1

I was looking through Jill's photos of Michael Bates' wedding and she looks like a total party crasher. In every picture where Jill is with a Duggar/Bates, they all have stiff body language, fake smiles and expressions that say "who the hell is this psycho and would you please hurry up and take the fucking picture so I can get out of here." Jill was trying way too hard to insert herself into the mix.

As far as the one kid's teeth, the pic is too grainy for me to get a good look at, but their oldest daughter has braces, so hopefully they're getting dental care from somewhere.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

Halloween is approaching and I hope we are treated by another David Waller  Halloween story.  The last one was great with Greek Goddesses and handing out bible tracts with candy.  Saving the poor children dressed like demons.  I hope he doesn't let us down. 

• Love 5

The beanies are called yarmulkas in Yiddish and Kippot in Hebrew. Not every Jewish person wears one out of the synagogue.

I think the OP was referring to the hats that some more conservative Jewish women wear to cover their hair, not to yarmulkes. 

• Love 2

I think the OP was referring to the hats that some more conservative Jewish women wear to cover their hair, not to yarmulkes. 

Yes, not beanies. I have no clue what they are called? They are hats that they wear. Here is a picture:  http://www.bitzofglitzonline.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=739

Another reason I suspected it was a fundie is because Elmhurst does not have a large Jewish population like the North Shore in Chicago. The only way I can explain it is that the North Shore has more synagogues.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 1

No, I know your fundie wasn't Jewish; it was more a commentary on how the women in these groups all seem to have the same wardrobe.

My local Orthodox population by and large aren't head-coverers (the women, I mean) although you do see the occasional wig.

ETA Yeah, that's a snood.

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 2

Halloween is approaching and I hope we are treated by another David Waller  Halloween story.  The last one was great with Greek Goddesses and handing out bible tracts with candy.  Saving the poor children dressed like demons.  I hope he doesn't let us down. 

Well at least they do bible tracts WITH candy.

Davey gives out a single tract with a piece of candy?  Surely he can do better than that.  How about something like the candy Advent Calenders?  Each day the child has to learn about one of the 49 Gothard 'Character Qualities' and recite them to his/her parents, then they get to open a door with a single jelly bean behind it.  That'll get them to Dec. 19. 

If Davey puts more effort into it, he can go all the way through to the New Year by interspersing other valuable lessons every so often.  Thanksgiving is a chance to preach that people should be giving thanks to God instead of celebrating a silly little national holiday.  The candy for reading through that dribble can be a stale gummy turkey.  Christmas can be another sermon about how Christ died for our sins, and Gothard has a direct line to God.  The candy will be a wreath made of red licorice strands, to commemorate the blood of something or other. 

New Year's Eve is actually a time to reflect on the sins of the past and an opportunity to join the quiver and get right with God.  The candy will be a Tootsie Roll with tiny feathers sticking out on one end.  New Years Day is an invitation to read up on the only true religion know as Quiverfull, along with a URL to the Gothard recruiting website.  The candy will be a white chocolate-shaped foot.

Davey should also save a spot for explaining that that pesky Commandment about not stealing doesn't apply if it's something you really want, and a jolly black police officer will back you up if the original owner of said item objects.  Obviously, the candy for that day is a wormy pecan.

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 2

I am not picking on a child who cannot help her looney parents and their horrid lifestyle. However, there is something disturbing about the little girl to the right of Jill in the white skirt with black polka dots. She looks like a Junior Businesswoman...like she's in dress up to play grown up. She certainly doesn't look like a 6-7 year old child. Again, for all the Gothard tenets about modesty and dress, it's just pushing these kids (esp girls) to be older than their years, and they shouldn't bear such burdens (or be worrying about their sins at age 8, like poor Jinger).

• Love 4

Davey gives out a single tract with a piece of candy?  Surely he can do better than that.  How about something like the candy Advent Calenders?  Each day the child has to learn about one of the 49 Gothard 'Character Qualities' and recite them to his/her parents, then they get to open a door with a single jelly bean behind it.  That'll get them to Dec. 19. 

If Davey puts more effort into it, he can go all the way through to the New Year by interspersing other valuable lessons every so often.  Thanksgiving is a chance to preach that people should be giving thanks to God instead of celebrating a silly little national holiday.  The candy for reading through that dribble can be a stale gummy turkey.  Christmas can be another sermon about how Christ died for our sins, and Gothard has a direct line to God.  The candy will be a wreath made of red licorice strands, to commemorate the blood of something or other. 

New Year's Eve is actually a time to reflect on the sins of the past and an opportunity to join the quiver and get right with God.  The candy will be a Tootsie Roll with tiny feathers sticking out on one end.  New Years Day is an invitation to read up on the only true religion know as Quiverfull, along with a URL to the Gothard recruiting website.  The candy will be a white chocolate-shaped foot.

Davey should also save a spot for explaining that that pesky Commandment about not stealing doesn't apply if it's something you really want, and a jolly black police officer will back you up if the original owner of said item objects.  Obviously, the candy for that day is a wormy pecan.

LOL at Davey giving out his stolen pecans.  Looking forward (hoping) he's got another Halloween story for us.  He probably starting writing his fictional tale already.

• Love 3

I am not picking on a child who cannot help her looney parents and their horrid lifestyle. However, there is something disturbing about the little girl to the right of Jill in the white skirt with black polka dots. She looks like a Junior Businesswoman...like she's in dress up to play grown up. She certainly doesn't look like a 6-7 year old child. Again, for all the Gothard tenets about modesty and dress, it's just pushing these kids (esp girls) to be older than their years, and they shouldn't bear such burdens (or be worrying about their sins at age 8, like poor Jinger).

Oh my sweet Jebus - I KNOW !!!  I saw her in the picture - knowing full well that no child would dress themselves like that, and no child SHOULD be dressed like that ! - and said to myself "Someone just Benjamin Button-ed Diane Chambers from Cheers !"

It's like one of those "Glamour Shots" people that are soooo fun to snark on, but the girl is only six or seven ! The only thing missing is a pair of granny glasses hanging on a chain around her neck and a semi-used kleenex stuffed into the sleeve of her sweater !

• Love 5

That Rodrigues photo looks very early 90's to me. The clothes, the hair, the make-up... Is that the time when they went off the rails and joined extreme fundieland, or do people in the US regularly dress up as Married with Children extras?

• Love 4

That Rodrigues photo looks very early 90's to me. The clothes, the hair, the make-up... Is that the time when they went off the rails and joined extreme fundieland, or do people in the US regularly dress up as Married with Children extras?

I'm guessing Jill is like Michelle and styles herself from the decade in which she had her heydey.

• Love 5

Yup. Jill is about 37 now; she married at either 17 or 18. So yeah, like Mechelle, her life arrested at that point (c.1994/5), so that's what we see with her and her urchins. 

Free Nurie! 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

I'm guessing Jill is like Michelle and styles herself from the decade in which she had her heydey.

Oddly enough I don't really mind Mechelle's hair except that she still refuses to let go of the wispy bangs. and the more recent pics I've seen it looks like she finally stopped doing those weird wing things on the sides (you guys know what I mean, right?). Her curly hair doesn't look bad, but it's those damn bangs that make it so 90's chic. She may also wanna lay off the mousse. The crunchy look is out.

I might be a little biased though, because I do get perms. My hair naturally has this weird wavyness to it and I got sick of using the flatiron all the time to make it look nice. So now I get a loose perm once a year and I love it. So much easier to maintain!

Who the heck runs in a polo shirt???? And of course it sucked to push a stroller, because it's not a jog stroller; it's not made to go swiftly for 3 miles. I guess it doesn't matter, because this was probably their first and only 5K. But still, these arent't the sharpest crayons in the box!

• Love 5

David ran a marathon in khakis, so this is perfectly normal for them. She's apparently a runned, too, and pimped out that stroller, so I assume it's what she usually runs with.

I can't even...I'm a runner, so I guess that's why I'm gobsmacked. I can't even wear cotton t-shirts anymore, they get too heavy and hold sweat. You can get "modest" tech shirts very inexpensively,(but they won't have collars). Jog strollers are pretty pricey, but easy to snag used, and they are so much better than running with an everyday stroller. But running a MARATHON in khakis? That's just stupid. These people...just when I think I've heard/seen it all with them, they spring something else!

• Love 5

I know, right? Why wouldn't David buy himself a pair of lightweight track pants to run in? Even Josh wore shorts when he did his 5k in DC. These people are just too much, although I will admit Pris looks great for a woman who had two pregnancies back to back.

• Love 3

One has to wonder how these two figured out how to make two children.

In the case of The Fabulous One and Priscilla, I'm going to go with Tobias Funke (of Arrested Development's) explanation for how babies are made: "When a man needs to prove to a woman that he's actually ... When a man loves a woman, and he actually wants to make love to her, something very, very special happens. And with deep, deep concentration and great focus he is often able to achieve an erec --"

• Love 11

UGH kicking myself for not going after that fundie lady I saw the other day. I so need a long denim skirt so I can trick or treat at TFDW's house! Leads, I need leads so I can get one stat. lol It might be my last chance to finally meet him if Gothard is moving out of Oakbrook.

• Love 1

In the case of The Fabulous One and Priscilla, I'm going to go with Tobias Funke (of Arrested Development's) explanation for how babies are made: "When a man needs to prove to a woman that he's actually ... When a man loves a woman, and he actually wants to make love to her, something very, very special happens. And with deep, deep concentration and great focus he is often able to achieve an erec --"

If David Waller weren't real, I'd swear ya'll made him up.

gay-pirate.jpg

• Love 5

A decent bra for sure and get the plugs out of the kids' mouths. 

Yes, and I'm not a mom myself - but isn't Paul a little old for one? He must be 3 or 4 by now, right? Gee, are these people EVER about doing the RIGHT thing? Or are their own needs always paramount? What would be easiest, fastest, cheapest for them? And will ensure a quiet kid at the same time...

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 3

But is TFDW a never-nude? Seems possible...

• Love 5