Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

I've never eaten at Chik Fil A or whatever.  Saw one for the first time ever a year ago.  Just noticed there is one only a couple of miles from me but in a complex that is the very devil to get into and park.  So I'll probably never even try.  As good as people say it is, I've never had a chicken nugget, and that looks like what they mainly sell.  Barf to chicken huggets, based on opinion only.

Go ahead somebody tell JB it was CatLick monks who laboriously wrote out copies of the bible pre-printing press, pre-literacy, in parchment days.    Also camping out in front of stores must only be done for fun, because the deals to be had at opening are not great.  You can get trampled to death at WalMart, shot at Kmart, battered and bruised at Macy's for half-off Christmas paper.  No, it must be the fun in the line, party all night atmosphere.  

I just got a picture in my brain of cats licking papers with their saliva and writing the bible :).

EDITED to add: My English aunt used to have a birthday cake for Jesus, when her grandchildren were small. On Christmas Eve she'd gather the little kids around the cake and they would sing happy birthday to Jesus. I don't know if she just made that up herself, or if it was a custom from her childhood, but I thought it was rather sweet. She was not all that religious herself, BTW.

My Mexican-American family does the same. 

• Love 1

Discussions of how one's family does or doesn't celebrate Christmas, the etiology of the word, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., can go in the Small Talk thread.

This is the Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends thread. It is not the "I had a thought while in this thread so I'll mention it here even through it's off-topic" thread.

Thanks!

• Love 4

Anyone else wonder what kind of frumpy and ugly wedding dress Michaela will be wearing on her wedding day?

I guarantee it will be hideous. Michael is a nice looking girl, but she's the frumpiest dresser out of the older kids and she doesn't have a natural eye for style. Case in point: Brandon's poop colored tux.

Speaking of clothes, people are giving Alyssa shit again for wearing *gasp!* jeans and a fitted v-neck tee. Reading the comments you'd swear this girl was walking around in a thong and pasties.

• Love 4

This has probably been covered before, so forgive me.

Has anyone else wondered about Brandon being Wallerish?

Also, in one of the recent episodes, she seemed so frightened of making Brandon angry. Something about a decision she had to make?       I am remembering awhile back people were talking about him having a temper?

Also, in one of the recent episodes, she seemed so frightened of making Brandon angry. Something about a decision she had to make?       I am remembering awhile back people were talking about him having a temper?

Yeap, very much so...

Also, in one of the recent episodes, she seemed so frightened of making Brandon angry. Something about a decision she had to make? I am remembering awhile back people were talking about him having a temper?

If you ever read their story, Michael pined after him for years, while Brandon never noticed her until it was time to start thinking marriage and his sister pushed him in Michael's direction. I'm not sure if you watch their show on UP, but Brandon is rather blase towards her. I think Michael feared he'd call off the courtship and that's why she's always hyper vigilant of his reactions and moods. Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1

I guarantee it will be hideous. Michael is a nice looking girl, but she's the frumpiest dresser out of the older kids and she doesn't have a natural eye for style. Case in point: Brandon's poop colored tux.

Speaking of clothes, people are giving Alyssa shit again for wearing *gasp!* jeans and a fitted v-neck tee. Reading the comments you'd swear this girl was walking around in a thong and pasties.

I am an old fart. Our wedding colors did not dictate the color of my hubby's tux. If it did, it might have been some shade of purple. I went the Blush and Bashful route. Hubby's tux was black. Not a wedding color. :D

• Love 4

If you ever read their story, Michael pined after him for years, while Brandon never noticed her until it was time to start thinking marriage and his sister pushed him in Michael's direction. I'm not sure if you watch their show on UP, but Brandon is rather blase towards her. I think Michael feared he'd call off the courtship and that's why she's always hyper vigilant of his reactions and moods.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw it this way. Poor Michael. They say every relationship has one person who cares more than the other, and that it's better to be the one who cares less. Let's face it -- Brandon is, as someone said, a very Waller-ish young man, steeped in Gothardism and conservative Christianity, and so has physical motivations toward marriage. In their belief system, you're not supposed to necessarily start out madly in love anyway. You're supposed to purpose to find someone with a heart for the Lord and a ministry mindset. 

Before someone complains, of course we don't know the truth about their emotions; it's just a sense I get and I could of course be completely wrong.

Oh! Did anyone see the most recent Bates episode? I don't know all their names yet but one of the older sons was having his wisdom teeth removed and he seemed really worried about the possibility of what he might say while under the influence of anesthesia. It made me laugh because I had to wonder if he was worried about some sort of impure thoughts being divulged.

• Love 5

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw it this way. Poor Michael. They say every relationship has one person who cares more than the other, and that it's better to be the one who cares less. Let's face it -- Brandon is, as someone said, a very Waller-ish young man, steeped in Gothardism and conservative Christianity, and so has physical motivations toward marriage. In their belief system, you're not supposed to necessarily start out madly in love anyway. You're supposed to purpose to find someone with a heart for the Lord and a ministry mindset. 

Before someone complains, of course we don't know the truth about their emotions; it's just a sense I get and I could of course be completely wrong.

Oh! Did anyone see the most recent Bates episode? I don't know all their names yet but one of the older sons was having his wisdom teeth removed and he seemed really worried about the possibility of what he might say while under the influence of anesthesia. It made me laugh because I had to wonder if he was worried about some sort of impure thoughts being divulged.

I saw that episode.   The guy was a drama queen and yes very fearful he would say something under the influence of the anesthesia. I also got Wallerish vibes from him too.

If you ever read their story, Michael pined after him for years, while Brandon never noticed her until it was time to start thinking marriage and his sister pushed him in Michael's direction. I'm not sure if you watch their show on UP, but Brandon is rather blase towards her. I think Michael feared he'd call off the courtship and that's why she's always hyper vigilant of his reactions and moods.

Thanks for the info.    I got a very disturbing vibe from the girl regarding upsetting him or making him mad.   

• Love 3

Michaela is also the one who thinks her parents have gone "soft" on child training.

So do several of her siblings, but it's not unusual for the eldest children to complain about mom & dad getting soft in their old age.  I'm the baby of my family and I heard it all the time.  :)

• Love 5

So today I was driving through Park Ridge,IL (Hilary Clinton's hometown) and a store caught my eye it was a closed baby store and the colors on the store front were pink and brown. I was SMH head because those are Michael's wedding colors! I kid you not. Annnndddddd anyone else find it strange that Michael picked her mom as her maid of honor? Isn't she close to any of her sisters? I find it odd. 

• Love 2

So today I was driving through Park Ridge,IL (Hilary Clinton's hometown) and a store caught my eye it was a closed baby store and the colors on the store front were pink and brown. I was SMH head because those are Michael's wedding colors! I kid you not. Annnndddddd anyone else find it strange that Michael picked her mom as her maid of honor? Isn't she close to any of her sisters? I find it odd.

I think it's weird and it sucks for Kelly because she can't really watch and enjoy the wedding as a spectator. You don't have the same view as a bridesmaid that you would in the audience. Plus it means Gil will be sitting by himself. Not to mention Kelly is going to look ridiculous if she's wearing the same outfit as the other girls. The style and cut of the dress is too girlish for a woman in her mid 40s.

As far as the sisters, the only ones who seem close are Tori and Carlin. Alyssa, Michael and Erin are all completely different personality types, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're not friends as adults.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

When Erin's wedding episode was on, she seemed exceptionally close to Carlin.

Those two girls somewhere in the middle of the lineup seem very close. The two who are all arms-crossed-and-sassy in the opening segment (and I love them for that part).

• Love 1

As far as the sisters, the only ones who seem close are Tori and Carlin. Alyssa, Michael and Erin are all completely different personality types, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're not friends as adults.

So true. Alyssa is the bubbly, outgoing Prom Queen type. Erin is snooty and reserved and Michaela is kind of nerdy.

• Love 1

When Erin's wedding episode was on, she seemed exceptionally close to Carlin.

Those two girls somewhere in the middle of the lineup seem very close. The two who are all arms-crossed-and-sassy in the opening segment (and I love them for that part).

Josie and Katie. 

Kelly is going to look stupid in any dress Michael picks from the website she mentioned. They're all overly lacy, overly embellished hot, but "modest," messes. Michael claims that Kelly is the MOH because she couldn't pick between the three sisters. I imagine that she has Tori and Carlin, but I missed the third sister. She must have gone down to Josie, who's now 16. (I'm too lazy to look this up on her blog, SewSumi!) :D

eta: Examples of what could be a bridesmaid dress. 

http://daintyjewells.com/bridesmaids-dresses-1/

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

Oh Lord those dresses are UGLY especially the gray cheap fabric ones. I can see her picking that dress since she has no style. Poor Kelly even her tin foil dress was a lot better looking.

Damn you Sew Sumi for posting that link(my eyes, my eyes)-----oh my those girls need makeup stat and some of the places that they took their pictures are leaving me wondering WTH? I'm scratching my head at the bridal party in the graffiti laced alley!?!?!? I'm like the idea that the bridemaids carry a different colored umbrella----we will save that idea for Josiah's wedding.

I quitting my day job  and going into wedding planning I must save these girls from all these fashion fails.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 8

The graffiti one was my favorite! I imagine those girls ran like hell once that picture was taken. LOL

eta: rumor has it that this is the dress Michael discussed on last night's episode. Imagine this in pink(eta: there's actually a picture. It's bubble gum). Picture that on almost 49 year-old Kelly. Oh dear...

http://daintyjewells.com/a-night-in-paris-more-colors/

I went back to the DVR and that pic of the girl leaning on the chair was shown. So yeah, this is it. ugh

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

My favorite is the black panty hose and silver sandals. Tres classy.

I'm guessing the three sisters were Erin, Tori and Carlin because Alyssa lives too far away to help with the wedding prep, however Carlin isn't even a bridesmaid. I'd bet any amount of money Kelly didn't want to be MOH, but she didnt want to hurt Michael's feelings by saying no.

The graffiti one was my favorite! I imagine those girls ran like hell once that picture was taken. LOL

eta: rumor has it that this is the dress Michael discussed on last night's episode. Imagine this in pink(eta: there's actually a picture. It's bubble gum). Picture that on 50 year-old Kelly. Oh dear...

Yeah, that style will look great on a woman whose body has been through 19 pregnancies...

• Love 2

eta: rumor has it that this is the dress Michael discussed on last night's episode. Imagine this in pink(eta: there's actually a picture. It's bubble gum). Picture that on 50 year-old Kelly. Oh dear...

Ok I actually like that dress but unless you are tan or have olive skin that pink is not flattering on pale skintones. 

• Love 1

Yeah, bad news for Jana. That bubblegum pink will wash her out. I hope she goes with the taupe instead. 

eta: Looking through Michael's blog to find out her bridesmaids (she didn't mention that) , I found this piece about their covenant marriage. Good lord, what BORING people. 

http://brandonlovesmichaela.com/2015/07/28/preparing-for-the-big-day-part-3/

eta again: I went to the DVR. Bridesmaid sisters are Erin, Alyssa, and Tori. Kind of surprising. The pink will wash out Our Fair Erin. That can NOT happen! 

She's putting the flower girls in "darker khaki." Ugh. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4

Ok I actually like that dress but unless you are tan or have olive skin that pink is not flattering on pale skintones.

That pink would look gorgeous on Carlin, she has the dark features and tan skin tone. I agree with everyone that the taupe will be the most universally flattering shade, so of course Michael will be going with the pink, lol.

• Love 2

Josie and Katie. 

Kelly is going to look stupid in any dress Michael picks from the website she mentioned. They're all overly lacy, overly embellished hot, but "modest," messes. Michael claims that Kelly is the MOH because she couldn't pick between the three sisters. I imagine that she has Tori and Carlin, but I missed the third sister. She must have gone down to Josie, who's now 16. (I'm too lazy to look this up on her blog, SewSumi!) :D

Man, so much ugly and it just goes on and on. Pantaloons, parasols, paper flowers, portly attendants, badly posed photography, up-dos to heaven, crunchy ringlets with and without saucer flowers and lots of strings of pearls.

• Love 6

Man, so much ugly and it just goes on and on. Pantaloons, parasols, paper flowers, portly attendants, badly posed photography, up-dos to heaven, crunchy ringlets with and without saucer flowers and lots of strings of pearls.

...and the ugly prison jumpsuit dresses that look like they're from 1920. Hell to the No.

• Love 4

So is their show on Thursdays?  I thought I'd been missing it because it was on Fridays, and I'm usually not home Fridays.  Anyway, the most dreadful overall photog site I've seen, with all the modest wear.  Bad, really bad.  Is Jana Duggar going to be a bridesmaid, or is there a Jana Bates?  The boots picture was glorious.  Overall, too bad to laugh.

I haven't had a pro photo session.  I'm cheap.  But my dog was picked for one, and he will have it, no charge to me, on Tuesday at 6 p.m. at a park where there is water and whatever.  I don't know what the photographer looks like but he said he'll be there with cameras, umbrella thingies, and a dog couch.  Notice he (the dog) is pretty and he was picked, not me.  He was bummed out tonight because when I went to pick him up, there was the once a month street festival going on, and he was interested, wanted to go and showed it.  He loves the people, animals, music, whatever is happening.  But old mom here felt like a bag of shit and just couldn't muster up the energy.  I wanted to go too, was looking for some stuff they usually bring out to the street, and I hate going in the stores.  Bummer.  Sorry doggie.  

Edited by Micks Picks
  • Love 4

Man, so much ugly and it just goes on and on. Pantaloons, parasols, paper flowers, portly attendants, badly posed photography, up-dos to heaven, crunchy ringlets with and without saucer flowers and lots of strings of pearls.

I couldn't agree more, and I just don't get it. It is entirely possible to dress modestly and still look nice -- women all over the world do it -- and, most women don't choose go "go slutty" in their wedding / bridesmaid dress selections, so it's not like there aren't options.

There are dozens of pictures here of pretty young women who simply look awful in so many different ways: awful hair, hideous dresses, inappropriate shoes, etc. Maybe it is just years of body shaming because none of these young women look comfortable in their clothes -- the clothes are wearing them as they say. It's especially sad because this is a really big deal for most of them, and the last time that a lot of them will get the opportunity to wear a pretty dress and be admired for their physical appearance.

• Love 4

Josie and Katie. 

Oh my.

• Love 2

So true. Alyssa is the bubbly, outgoing Prom Queen type. Erin is snooty and reserved and Michaela is kind of nerdy.

Oh no, no, no......Alyssa is the cheerleader type. Erin is the Prom Queen, circa 1955, with Chad as the Prom King. Don't be raggin' on E&C .....they are my Flashback Fundies. Love them!!!!

Not to mention that they're stuffed into all that flounce. The sweating will be epic and the ripping of the thin arm lace will sound like farting.

Edited by drafan
  • Love 5

In the Duggar special with Erin's wedding, Erin struck me as being perpetually sweet and bubbly. But in the Bates show, she seems to be more reserved, careful, responsible, but still sweet.

Is the Duggar Stink Bus & entourage showing up early to help like they did for Erin's wedding? I wonder if Josh & Anna are invited to the wedding & if so, will they show up? I was going to say at least Jana will have a nice day being around others her age & escaping the TTH for awhile. Who am I kidding, she'll be put on Precious Josie duty all day. (Duggar Josie, not the Bates' Josie).

• Love 2

Oh, Good Lord, those dresses are HIDEOUS ! What did I just see ?

My eyes are burning...

Seriously, the color combinations, those awful high-waist belts with the fou-fou fabric clumps that look like net shower loofas, and those bizarre headdresses that remind me of the things Michelle used to slap on Josie's head - it's just too much. 

How is it possible to feel violated by modesty ? I need to put on a pair of Daisy Dukes and a crop top and then drink a box of wine. 

• Love 9

My eyes are burning...

Seriously, the color combinations, those awful high-waist belts with the fou-fou fabric clumps that look like net shower loofas, and those bizarre headdresses that remind me of the things Michelle used to slap on Josie's head - it's just too much. 

How is it possible to feel violated by modesty ? I need to put on a pair of Daisy Dukes and a crop top and then drink a box of wine. 

The only thing missing is under skirt hoops, and parasols. 

• Love 1

Oh my good lord in heaven those are some butt ugly bridesmaids and butt uglier dresses. The only thing worse would be if they were doing the "everything" dance. As my father frequently exclaimed "Jesus Christ all shit!"

• Love 3

She said she did it because she didn't want to have to choose among her sisters.  I think it's kind of sweet, as long as Kelly doesn't mind.

In the Duggar special with Erin's wedding, Erin struck me as being perpetually sweet and bubbly. But in the Bates show, she seems to be more reserved, careful, responsible, but still sweet.

I give her props for having 3 miscarriages and then a very difficult pregnancy.  Her delivery was quick but painful.  She had wanted an epidural "as soon as I walk in the hospital".  She must have known she wasn't one of those natural all the way gals, so good for her!  Unfortunately, baby Carson had other ideas and there was no time for the epidural.  She also had something wrong with the actual delivery--a placenta tear or something.  I had never heard of it, but it could have been dangerous.  So God  bless that new little family.

Kelly's going to look like an idiot in any of those "modest" getups. She's 48, not 18! I could see MEchelle Duggar doing this because she's all about stealing limelight. Kelly may well do that herself, but  sadly not in a good way. 

• Love 1

My eyes are burning...

I never care about the bridesmaid's dresses.  As long as the bride likes them, then so be it.  It's HER (and the groom's) day.  I liked both Jill and Jessa's dresses.  I'm over the strapless thing.  When I got married my sister was my matron of honor.  I told her to pick out whatever she liked.  She picked a blue gown (my least favorite color--I should have said something beforehand!).  But so what?  It was a great day and I'm still married to the same man after 41 years.  Lots more important things than a bridesmaid dress.

• Love 3