Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

(edited)
13 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Don't you need to be licensed to operate any sort of food business?

In most states you do. I think she lives in one of those states where people hate any kind of regulations.  Who needs a car with proper working breaks?

Edited by ariel
  • Love 8
30 minutes ago, Beaner said:

What happened with the cake in a jar? I missed that.

She shipped the things without any protective packaging. Many orders arrived with broken jars. I think she charged around $50 for four of those things, so I bet she had to refund a LOT of money. Hence, why she is not shipping this time (she's shipped strawberries locally before). I know leghumpers are her clientele, but one still has to wonder if someone complained. Wouldn't it be lovely if your kid got a shard of glass in their dessert? 

Sweet. 

• Love 4
(edited)
18 minutes ago, ariel said:

In most states you do. I think she lives in one of those states where people hate any kind of regulations.  Who needs a car with proper working breaks?

Thanks! The reason it stuck in my mind is my SIL once thought about doing some a home-based food business in NYC. Once she read up on the procedures to get licensed, she decided it wasn't worth the trouble. 

Edited by BitterApple
9 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

I folow a lot of cookiers with skills that are 1,000 time better than what I just saw NO way is that worth $45. My friend makes amazing cookies and they are $45 for a dozen.

Prices are higher in Arkansas? 

(edited)
8 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Don't you need to be licensed to operate any sort of food business?

8 hours ago, ariel said:

In most states you do. I think she lives in one of those states where people hate any kind of regulations.  

I looked into this where I live (a few states Northwest of Arkansas, in a large city), when I was on an organization's board and someone had a bright idea that was well-meaning but needed a lot of research.

As to food prep, our city may be like others. If you're going to prepare food to sell, it must be prepared in a certified/inspected kitchen that meets essentially commercial criteria for sanitation and safety. And trust me, I think that no ordinary house/condo kitchen would meet those requirements. So it's not so much that the cook needs a "license," but that the food must be prepared in an approved facility (I think that around here, people can rent time in those) and there may have also been some health certificate requirements for the cook(s), but I don't remember.

I always think about that when I see the folks selling breakfast burritos in the mornings around offices and businesses. I figure their kitchens are probably cleaner than mine, and the hot sauce must kill a lot of germs, heh.

Because, I'm sure those health regulations are hard to enforce and lots of people fly under that radar all the time. Even lassez faire Arkansas probably has some laws regulating commercial food production, although probably rarely enforced in situations like Sierra's. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 5

My sister's friend makes chocolate covered strawberries and cake pops. She sells them for about $15 a dozen to locals. $45 is too much, I'd rather go to edible arrangements and get the same thing but prepared in a sanitized environment.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Lunera said:

I'd rather go to edible arrangements and get the same thing but prepared in a sanitized environment.

Me too. I'm willing to pay a premium for things that are well made, but $50 for cake in a jar that was probably made from a boxed mix? No thank you, I can do that myself. Ditto for dipping strawberries in dollar store chocolate.

• Love 9
35 minutes ago, Lunera said:

20170510_171928.png  

Pre-engagement?

Yeah they are probably going to get engaged during Tori's last year of school and married after she graduates. At least they have gotten a chance to get to know each other. 

• Love 2

Amazing that they are both getting college degrees and waiting to graduate before marriage! Although I'm a bit defrauded by her outfit and their pose. 

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

Once again a Bates beats a Duggar in appearance.

That picture surely beats the homeschool fake graduations the Duggars have!

0 0 1 Diploma.jpg

• Love 1

I happy Kelly and Gil encourage and allow higher education. They are using their TV earnings to invest in a proper education for their kids and not just hoarding it for themselves, like Dim Blob. 

I would have thought that she'd drop out and just hurry up and get married, didn't Allysa do that? I guess it proves that school is important to her and not just a pastime till marriage. Does anyone know what she is studying?

• Love 2
Just now, Lunera said:

I happy Kelly and Gil encourage and allow higher education. They are using their TV earnings to invest in a proper education for their kids and not just hoarding it for themselves, like Dim Blob. 

I would have thought that she'd drop out and just hurry up and get married, didn't Allysa do that? I guess it proves that school is important to her and not just a pastime till marriage. Does anyone know what she is studying?

IIRC, I thought Tori was studying something like education, but I'm not entirely sure. 

They look like a normal couple, good for them.

And I can't be the only one bothered that a $45 cookie chocolate basket thing can't even be coordinating colors? The cookie looks so bad on top of the strawberries.

• Love 2

I think someone is phishing. 

As for Tori, I minored in Education and went to grad school for it. I am sure that the real life situations I studied and wrote about are far different than teaching kids to sing "Jesus Loves Me." I doubt she can teach anything beyond maybe third grade. 

But yeah, congrats to Bobby on his PCC degree. Not worth the paper it was written on. 

• Love 2

Sierra needs a good therapist. Birthing babies to distract her from past abuse is going to backfire eventually. And how the hell are they supporting all of this? Her husband sells furniture, ffs.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Sierra needs a good therapist. Birthing babies to distract her from past abuse is going to backfire eventually. And how the hell are they supporting all of this? Her husband sells furniture, ffs.

$45 Cookies and berries. She's an idiot and desperate to be famous, but she's trying to hustle. 

I have a feeling she's perfected the sob story and has plenty of free sitters for when she traipses all over the place with the Duggars. Maybe she gets paid some for appearances as well. 

• Love 5
(edited)
7 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Based on Sierra's Facebook, she is expecting again. 

Yes she is.  #6 and counting.  Married at 19 and is now 27-years-old.

sierra (1).jpg

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 1
(edited)

This lady wrote a public post talking about being constantly depressed because of her molestation, and made worse by 5 back to back pregnancies. I wonder if her husband even read it and if he did just told her that having another baby would fix it. 

Also I can't believe she's Jana's age.

Edited by Lunera
  • Love 7

I guess Sierra doesn't have time to iron her husband's shirt or at least  grab it when comes out of the dryer to prevent wrinkles. Or buy one that fits correctly. He's one hot mess.

I love it that her three oldest are boys, no sister helpers there.

Can't believe Sierra's life at 27.  In comparison, my single 27 yr old niece is a pediatric RN, owns her own house, hangs with friends & is loving life. To each his own but what a difference. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I guess Sierra doesn't have time to iron her husband's shirt or at least  grab it when comes out of the dryer to prevent wrinkles. Or buy one that fits correctly. He's one hot mess.

Yeah, that is one of the worst pictures ever.  Really, really bad.  WTF happened?  That's beyond a little wrinkled or sloppy.  

Maybe he was borrowing some of Derick's clothing? 

• Love 2

Good for Bobby for getting a college degree AND for Tori actually taking the next year to finish off her degree -- rather than just dropping out to get married (ahem - Alyssa). Bummer that Bobby's degree is in "bible and youth ministry." Hopefully it leads to a real job with benefits -- maybe something like Brandon. Hopefully it isn't like the Duggar sons in law, each of whom fancies himself in the "ministry" bc he posts YouTube videos of himself lecturing. I'm guessing it won't turn out like the Duggars simply bc the Bates cannot -- and have not made it a practice -- to support any of the married couples. If you're marrying a Bates girl, you better figure out how to get a house, pay for food, and the daughters appear to like to live relatively nicely -- not extravagant by any means but decent apartments/rental homes, date nights with their husbands, Starbucks runs, they wear nice clothes and even if they are just Old Navy or wherever, there is a cost, and even some driving vacations every so often. So fingers crossed, Bobby is like the Bates sons and sons in law that came before him and takes the next year to start a job and save a bit, so that they can go on an actual honeymoon next yr post marriage and then Tori moves down to Fl. to a decent apartment and they can start a decent married life together.

Sierra is 27?? I usually am not very discerning re women's ages but she looks at least 10 yrs older than that -- but then 6 pregnancies and what looks to be 5 kids age 5 or under will do that to you. How do we know there's abuse in the background -- rather than just the fundie, as many as God gives us as we try every 9 months -- view of life?

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Mollie said:

Yes she is.  #6 and counting.  Married at 19 and is now 27-years-old.

sierra (1).jpg

WTH is he wearing?  I've pulled wet clothes right out of the washing machine that had less wrinkles.  He's a mess!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cereality said:

How do we know there's abuse in the background -- rather than just the fundie, as many as God gives us as we try every 9 months -- view of life?

Sierra wrote about it in a blog post. She was sexually abused by a male relative. Like the Duggars, her parents didn't do jack squat to help her either.

• Love 1
(edited)
17 minutes ago, awaken said:

Is that a current picture of Sierra expecting, with another baby that small?  Or was that a picture taken a while ago? 

An old picture, I think.

Pretty sure Sierra's youngest is the same age as Spurgeon. Almost literally, I think they're something like a week apart.

EDIT: yeah, Spurgeon was born November 5th 2015 and Sierra's youngest (#5) Edyn was born November 12th 2015.

Edited by McManda
found dates

The video I posted is current (posted two days ago). "Squish" is a lot bigger than in the pic that Mollie posted. 

She wasted no time announcing. She says she's due around Asher's birthday, which is Jan. 21, making her about 6 weeks. 

(edited)
14 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

WTH is he wearing?  I've pulled wet clothes right out of the washing machine that had less wrinkles.  He's a mess!

Wouldn't have been as bad if he tucked it in!

That would be an accurate summation of their latest pregnancy too.

Edited by MamaMax
  • Love 16

That video is weird... I mean, the black frame and the ''Watch'' text and emojis. That's the kind of things you see on compilation videos and such that are passed around on social media - not on the original video itself.

Feels like she's trying too hard.

• Love 1

She's definitely trying too hard. The guessing game/reveal wasn't cute or funny since they pretty much had to hand feed the answer to the kids.

From her Facebook feed, her oldest is 6-year-old Khai and the youngest is Edyn, who's 18 months. How old are the middle children?

• Love 2