Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

I have nothing against old ladies. That’s a good décor if you are 95, but not for a guy in his 20s. It’s a good thing Jonathan is already engaged because that bedroom won’t help him to get laid.

Gotcha, I thought you were talking about the musty downstairs 'apartment'. I agree, the décor looks like something my grandmother had in her tiny retirement apartment.

10 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Jonathan will have to find some way to limit his spending on gifts and restaurant trips for BME. He must realize that basement is no place for a newborn, and CPS would not be impressed.

CPS is not going to care unless little Jonlee develops black mold in his/her lungs and the kids refuse to move.

As for the 'apartment', who is going to complain about the unsafe conditions? It's basically just 2 newlywed kids temporarily living in the basement of old church friends. People have this type of informal set-up all the time.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

A hose can be hooked up by removed the shower head and using an adapter.

Or, if no one has actually installed plumbing for a shower, the hose can be attached to any random faucet and run into the fiberglass shower stall bought on clearance at Home Depot.  Based on what we've seen of the 'apartment' thus far, I wouldn't be surprised if the proper plumbing was never installed.

• Love 5
On 4/8/2022 at 8:37 PM, Cinnabon said:

IDK, they could be in a camper in Jill’s yard.

Kaylee may not expect much , but it seems like Jonathan grew up with more.

At least they would be above ground with windows and a way to escape if they needed to.  And an actual shower.  I'm sure BME would just love to decorate an RV.  Those poor kids.

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

At least they would be above ground with windows and a way to escape if they needed to.  And an actual shower.  I'm sure BME would just love to decorate an RV.  Those poor kids.

Anything is better than a death trap.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

A hose can be hooked up by removed the shower head and using an adapter.

But what would be the point of removing a shower head and hooking up a garden hose? 

• Love 2

Ok I posted my comment before I read what Rootbeer said that maybe this hose is hooked up to a random faucet somewherre in the house and run through the shower wall.  So if it is hooked up to the kitchen sink I guess you have to detach the  the hose to use the faucet to wash dishes? It is unbelievable that that people would live this way. There is no way that this apartment meets city code if they are doing stuff like this with the plumbing and the electrical wires hanging by the sink. 

And then Jill posts this bragging about how she fixed the place up for Jonathan. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

But what would be the point of removing a shower head and hooking up a garden hose? 

No reason I can think of for getting a human clean, but maybe to get a large pet clean. The only other reasons I can think of are for 'workshop' type stuff. Filling a mop bucket, using a wet saw/grinder, mixing joint compound/grout/cement, etc.

So no reasons that seem to work for Jonathon.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/8/2022 at 8:38 AM, laurakaye said:

And which is it, Jill - do you need PT because you tore your knee in four places, or you just ran a mile?

Ok this one got me. I tore 1 thing in my knee (so medical huh) and couldn't run a mile so I call bullshit on this now. I was giving her the benefit of the doubt-ish. She lies like her abundant rugs.

• LOL 13
  • Love 7

Translation for "on visitation," please.  

God has been so good to you, Jill. Your knee is healed. Now, He doesn't want to hear another word or see another photo about it.  

10 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

Bye Felicia!

• LOL 8
  • Love 4

Maybe we shamed Jill into feeding her kids more food. It looks like Sophie is filling out a little and her hair is growing in. Hopefully the super skinny son will start filling out now too.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

An RV can be driven away.   Far, far, far away.    Johnathan needs to announce that he prayed over it and God told him to stay in Oklahoma with Kaylee.   Let Jill argue with that.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

Translation for "on visitation," please.  

I'm not fluent in Jill, but I interpreted it as a typo-ridden "on vacation." 😂

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 4
8 minutes ago, Zella said:

I'm not fluent in Jill, but I interpreted it as a typo-ridden "on vacation." 😂

Makes sense. "On visitation" could mean Felicia is in prison or a hospital, but that would be work for Jill. Jill needs a beach, hotel, gift shop, or restaurant to inspire her to bring people to the Lord. Laundromats have Lord Daniel to take care of things. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

Makes sense. "On visitation" could mean Felicia is in prison or a hospital, but that would be work for Jill. Jill needs a beach, hotel, gift shop, or restaurant to inspire her to bring people to the Lord. Laundromats have Lord Daniel to take care of things. 

There was a part of me that wondered if it meant "at a visitation," which I could totally see Jill being that tacky. But I feel like it would have added extra words to her word salad. LOL

• LOL 4

Visitation is part of God bothering 101.  You go visit with people to convert them to your denomination.  Sometimes it's only people who have filled out the visitation request cards at church showing interest and sometimes it's walking neighborhoods and door knocking.  Some churches visit all local guests who have visited the church and filled out guest cards. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Visitation is part of God bothering 101.  You go visit with people to convert them to your denomination.  Sometimes it's only people who have filled out the visitation request cards at church showing interest and sometimes it's walking neighborhoods and door knocking.  Some churches visit all local guests who have visited the church and filled out guest cards. 

I meant visitation before a funeral, which is the only context I've personally heard that word. I've personally never attended a church with a formal visiting program, and I have a really hard time seeing Jill devoting any time to someone else's program. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, YupItsMe said:

I’m pretty sure @Absolom’s interpretation is correct. Being raised Southern Baptist, that is also what I think of when someone says “visitation.”

Interesting. Not on my radar at all. LOL

• Love 4

A wake or viewing is also referred to as visitation, so my mind went there also.

There are visitation ministries, but whatever Jill is doing should be confidential in my opinion. The horn she keeps blowing is going to get rusty.

Jill needs to elevate her 4 torn “things”, and do some reading: 
Proverbs 27:2 - Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips. (KJV, for Jill)

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

E05F78DE-BAD5-498B-872E-7B46C0491FC2.jpeg

I guess Jill does not know that God does not look with favor on boastful people! I found so may quotes from the Bible about this.

Proverbs 16:5 “The LORD detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.” Proverbs 16:18 “Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.” God is not out to hurt your pride he is out to kill your pride.

I might get brave enough to post some of them on her Facebook or Instagram one day.

Edited by smallfry
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11

I’m doubtful that a malnourished six-year-old has any concern about the strangers her mother allegedly led to the lord. She might however wonder why she’s forced to wear a too-large dress over a too-large cardigan.

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

A wake or viewing is also referred to as visitation, so my mind went there also.

There are visitation ministries, but whatever Jill is doing should be confidential in my opinion. The horn she keeps blowing is going to get rusty.

Proverbs 27:2 - Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips. (KJV, for Jill)

Visitation is used to refer to the time scheduled to greet the family and pay respect to the deceased here in my neck of the woods. But it is also used to refer to church members visiting prospective members, members who have not been attending services for whatever reason and members who are "shut-ins" or have been ill. (Shut-ins are those who are unable due to illness/ age to leave their homes very often. I don't know if that term is used in other areas.) I assumed Jill was visiting people's homes on behalf of her church and "witnessing" or " sharing her testimony " with them. (That would be evangelizing)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

If it was wake she would have taken a selfie with the deceased. 

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

If the people were already AT church, why would need conversion?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

Growing up in the Midwest, I eventually learned not to fill out those guest cards as I explored area churches. Somebody inevitably would show up at the house and annoy my mother. Mormons sent local people after I wrote my name and address in a guestbook during a trip to faraway Salt Lake City. I've never heard the term "visitation" used this way, however. 

If Jill and Hulk appeared at my front door, I'd probably faint--a reaction they would certainly take as a positive sign. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
26 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Sometimes when people are new to a community, they visit several churches to determine which church they feel most comfortable in and which they might like to join. Some churches have cards in the pews that visitors can fill out if they are interested in having someone from the church call or visit them. Then either the pastor or a few members will visit or call. Depending on the church, some will use a " hard sell" approach to convince the person to come back to their church. Other churches will just offer them a welcome and whatever support they need. So it is not really an effort to convert those who have filled out the cards, but more just to either persuade, convince, welcome or browbeat those who have expressed an interest into joining that church.  Some churches do also do " cold calls" on unsuspecting people whose Aunt Sally brought up their name during prayer meeting as being in need of being saved from their sinful ways. Those may well be the kind of visits Jill is doing. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, farmgal4 said:

I think she used a filter on Sofia’s pic.

It's possible. Sofia looks healthier than usual in that photo. I really hope she's filled out a bit.

On the other hand, Hunk looks as if he's stuffed in a garbage can. 

• LOL 8

Ok. I never saw those growing up Catholic. They generally just let people attend without accosting them for their names, addresses or anything else. If people like the church, they’ll come back without being bothered.

• Love 15
55 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Depends on the church. The Methodist churches I’ve attended would send a personal note and give visitors (who wanted one) a gift that also had church information in it. For instance, contact info if you needed help or had questions.

For some churches, merely attending isn’t enough. You have to be “saved.” And some insist it has to be at their specific church. A family friend’s son married a girl from a fundie-lite church and they made him get re-baptized and do all kinds of stuff to get married there. This was a guy who was baptized, confirmed and went to church almost every Sunday his whole life, but it wasn’t at their church so none of that counted.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

Sometimes people show up at a church who were previously unchurched and they are looking for religion.  More often these days it's someone looking for a new church home who may have been the wrong "brand" previously.  To Jill if a person hasn't recited some version of a sinner's prayer and been "saved" according to Jill's theology, then they count in her saved tally.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

Ok. I never saw those growing up Catholic. They generally just let people attend without accosting them for their names, addresses or anything else. If people like the church, they’ll come back without being bothered.

That's because Catholic churches aren't competing against other Catholic churches with different beliefs like Protestant churches are competing against each other. You generally belong to your assigned parish church and ignore whatever the priest (or the Pope) says that you don't agree with, hence the expression cafeteria Catholic.

• Useful 6
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

If Jill and Hulk appeared at my front door, I'd probably faint--a reaction they would certainly take as a positive sign.

Yes, Jill would claim your fainting was you being "Slain in the Spirit" just by her presence at your door. 🤣

I have no idea if Jill and her correct christian friends believe in such a thing

• LOL 8
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Usually the cards are just available in the pews. No one is required to fill one out, at least in the churches I have attended.  I have never seen anyone bothered or pressured. I attend a very small Presbyterian church in the South.  I do Usually speak to visitors,  saying something like, "We are glad you could be with us today." It is not an attempt to badger them but to make them feel welcome. I imagine Jill probably is a lot more aggressive in her approach. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Sometimes people show up at a church who were previously unchurched and they are looking for religion.  More often these days it's someone looking for a new church home who may have been the wrong "brand" previously.  To Jill if a person hasn't recited some version of a sinner's prayer and been "saved" according to Jill's theology, then they count in her saved tally.  

I wonder how she details her own special theology in 5 min or less to these random people.

1 hour ago, Dehumidifier said:

That's because Catholic churches aren't competing against other Catholic churches with different beliefs like Protestant churches are competing against each other. You generally belong to your assigned parish church and ignore whatever the priest (or the Pope) says that you don't agree with, hence the expression cafeteria Catholic.

Really? And Protestants don’t pick and choose just as much?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

Usually the cards are just available in the pews. No one is required to fill one out, at least in the churches I have attended.  I have never seen anyone bothered or pressured. I attend a very small Presbyterian church in the South.  I do Usually speak to visitors,  saying something like, "We are glad you could be with us today." It is not an attempt to badger them but to make them feel welcome. I imagine Jill probably is a lot more aggressive in her approach. 

Yes, the Catholic Church my mom attends (and forced me to attend until I became  an adult lol) has newsletters available at the entrance/exit detailing special events, classes, etc that new people can attend if interested. No pressure. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I wonder how she details her own special theology in 5 min or less to these random people.

Really? And Protestants don’t pick and choose just as much?

My impression is that they tend to switch denominations until they find one that they agree with.

• Love 4

The Rods were at a church in PA last week which is where Jill did her visitations. They've been to this church several times in past years. It's also the church of Jonathan's aunt, who introduced the lovebirds. 

But back to the visitation for a second, as I understand it, this was door to door god-bothering. 

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Useful 7
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

The Rods were at a church in PA last week which is where Jill did her visitations. They've been to this church several times in past years. It's also the church of Jonathan's aunt, who introduced the lovebirds. 

But back to the visitation for a second, as I understand it, this was door to door god-bothering. 

For Jill 

5F24F718-52C9-44CD-B97D-D6FA0612D3BB.jpeg

• Love 23
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEEEEEE! Oh yeah, and God is SO good to MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEEEEEE.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3