Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

I feel some for the children. They’re mostly likely in church almost every day. That must be an exhausting and helpless feeling. I never knew any white evangelicals growing up. I grew up attending African-American Baptist churches and I only had to go on Sundays. I did know plenty of Black and/or Latino kids raised in strict COGIC, Pentecostal, and Jehovah’s Witness households who had to go to church/kingdom hall every evening and weekend. Some of those kids went wild later in life. Some were already wild unbeknownst to their parents. I guess the major difference is that the kids I knew were allowed to go to school with us heathens, so they weren’t totally cut off from the world and their education like the Rodlets.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6

I’m imagining Cam, Zane, and Colt opening some beers later that night and having a good laugh at the crazy lady with the malnourished children that accosted them in the Walmart parking lot. 

I also imagine that Jill has a whiteboard in her bathroom where she keeps track of all the people she brings to Jesus (but then never sees again because they were just humoring her so they could get away). A soul-winning scoreboard!

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • LOL 9
  • Love 13

Tim must be really desperate (or being punished) if he’s living in that trailer.  My camper is way smaller but I spend a lot of time in camping forums. The water supply for it comes from a hose that would freeze in the winter as it doesn’t look like it’s set up permanently. The toilet lines would also freeze and I wonder where he dumps his waste water to - did they crack open their septic tank and run the line to it? Plus, those trailers aren’t very insulated and he must have to sleep in his coat. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Mojitogirl said:

Tim must be really desperate (or being punished) if he’s living in that trailer.  My camper is way smaller but I spend a lot of time in camping forums. The water supply for it comes from a hose that would freeze in the winter as it doesn’t look like it’s set up permanently. The toilet lines would also freeze and I wonder where he dumps his waste water to - did they crack open their septic tank and run the line to it? Plus, those trailers aren’t very insulated and he must have to sleep in his coat. 

Despite all of that, I would much rather live in the camper than inside the house with a trillion other people. Maybe Tim is relieved to have his own space.

• Love 20
50 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I also imagine that Jill has a whiteboard in her bathroom where she keeps track of all the people she brings to Jesus (but then never

sees again because they were just humoring her so they could get away).

Have we ever seen one of the people she's brought to Jesus in a parking lot or check-out line actually following through? Showing up at the Rods' church? Stopping by the Barndominium to "fellowship" and bringing Jill a love offering of groceries, scented candles and teddy bears? 

10 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Edited by Albanyguy
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Mojitogirl said:

He probably goes to the house to shower/use the rest room and used the trailer just for sleeping/hanging out. I don’t want him to be cold, and I can believe you that it’s not very warm in the winter. 

We lived in a small mobile home for a winter, while our house was being rebuilt. We were hooked up to the town sewer and water through hoses. We never had a problem with them freezing up and I live in New England. It was cold in there though. And the wind - it would hit everywhere. Underneath us and through us. We talked about getting a portable heater but never did. 

I'm guessing if Tim has a portable heater, it would warm up his tiny place very quick. I'm more concerned about the dog being cold if he actually leaves everyday for a 9-5 job. Being cold inside with no heat from the sun is bone chilling, I would imagine even for a dog. I hope Tim lets the dog snuggle on the bed with blankets.

• Love 7
Just now, iwantcookies said:

I pictured Colt, Zane and Cam going to a gay  club and drinking and laughing at that loony Jill.

And coming up with a drinking game. Downing a shot everytime someone says 'sinner'! Or psycho.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I pictured Colt, Zane and Cam going to a gay  club and drinking and laughing at that loony Jill.

"Dude! We should totally dress up like that weird lady and her creepy kids for Halloween!"

• LOL 11

I imagine Jill is hoping to get more gifters for her grifting in their church.I wonder if she pays attention to things like what kind of vehicle someone drives,and the brand of clothes/accessories they wear and carry

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
41 minutes ago, sondraK said:

I imagine Jill is hoping to get more gifters for her grifting in their church.I wonder if she pays attention to things like what kind of vehicle someone drives,and the brand of clothes/accessories they wear and carry

Oh, she absolutely does. Narcissists can spot a mark the way sharks smell blood in the water.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

4B3A8743-18F2-41D9-BEB6-2AFE7E5AA88B.jpeg

8800D846-4AFB-4A78-8380-27D2FBBD391B.jpeg

🙄🙄🙄 

“Hey, honey! It’s Friday night! How about we go out for dinner and then a little soul-winning after?”

these people are strange.

also, I am a bit shocked that Timothy witnessed his puppy being born. Wouldn’t that be defrauding?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

They were much kinder and more patient than I could ever be.

Agree. I run for the hills when I see proselytizers coming. I cringe to think of how I was trained to do that as a kid and how others felt about being accosted in train stations, malls, knocking on their doors, etc. 😞

• Love 11
28 minutes ago, awaken said:

Agree. I run for the hills when I see proselytizers coming. I cringe to think of how I was trained to do that as a kid and how others felt about being accosted in train stations, malls, knocking on their doors, etc. 😞

I remember an older woman chased me down in a grocery store parking lot. I stopped because I truly thought she was in distress and was bracing myself to help her in whatever way I could. When she caught up to me she asked me for the time and then tried handing me a Watchtower. I was so angry, I shouted at her, which I regretted later. I just feel like any belief system where you are knowingly deceiving or harassing people in order to proselytize to them needs a serious evaluation. There was a group of JWs who canvassed that block. I did feel very badly for the children who were forced to be out there and always made sure to smile and say good morning/afternoon to them. I ignored the adults who were with them though.

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 10

Okay, so I'm confused as proselytizing is rare-ish where I am (you see the odd JW or LDS missionary and get pamphlets in the mail every so often but no fried blond ladies with a denim skirt, an armload of pamphlets and a gaggle of starving children, thank the Lord!). Who are these people that Jill is converting in parking lots? Are they atheists? Agnostics? Non-Christians? Other flavours of Christian? Are they flinging themselves on their knees in tearful repentance, or are they just agreeing to say a prayer with Jill to get her to go away? Like I said, I've never met anyone who has been convinced to switch religions based on such a short interaction (and with the likes of Jill Rod, no less!), so I can't figure out what's actually happening there. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, awaken said:

And during a pandemic? I think we are justified to use pepper spray on anyone who gets in our faces like that.

• LOL 4
  • Love 13
4 hours ago, awaken said:

I’m sure the guys were just humoring her and laughed about it later. 

Jill always follows these "saved souls" posts with a disclaimer like: let's hope they grow in the Lord, let's pray he continues in his journey with Jesus, etc. Unless people give their real names and phone numbers, she has no way to know if they are sincere. She never mentions following up with anybody. She just declares success and goes out to lunch with Shrek to celebrate. 

• Love 14
6 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

And during a pandemic? I think we are justified to use pepper spray on anyone who gets in our faces like that.

My street had been on the JW circuit for years. Sometimes we'd answer the door and politely say "not interested", sometimes we'd all be quiet and let them leave their pamphlet. Less than a week after 9/11, they came a knocking. A lifelong friend of ours was still "missing" from one of the towers, so we were all having a hard time. I feel bad now, but I intentionally answered the door knowing I would not be nice - and I wasn't. Needless to say, they haven't been back to our home ever since, and that was almost 20 years ago.

I totally agree JillR should not be soul winning during a pandemic (or ever). I don't carry pepper spray, but I have a mouth and know how to use it. I really wonder if, Jill believes she's winning souls, if she knows folks are humoring her, or if her stories are straight up lies.

Similar to what @awaken posted, "Zane" probably put a video on FB showing a big eyed, blonde, crazy woman selling Jesus and Plexus at the same time. 

• Love 10
8 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Now I’m picturing Raccoon eyed Jill; mascara running, crying hysterically because she got pepper sprayed in a Walmart parking lot.

That would be a dream come true for her. Can you imagine the mileage she's get out of being persecuted and assaulted for the Lord like that? We'd never hear the end of it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

In other words, the children's activity for the last few weeks has been printing, sticking on labels, boxing, and loading vehicles with these tracts. Now, they get to stand in parking lots in the cold for hours trying to hand them out to strangers. It's not surprising that nobody graduates from the Rodrigues Homeschool being able to read or write above a third grade level. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I find it is very effective to say, "I'm a practicing Catholic, let me tell you about my church!'"  Most of these proselytyzing types are the sort that think that Catholics worship statues and are going straight to hell.  They shut up and go away pretty quick, afraid of catching Catholic cooties.

I welcome one and all to use this approach; Catholic or not.

1 minute ago, BradandJanet said:

In other words, the children's activity for the last few weeks has been printing, sticking on labels, boxing, and loading vehicles with these tracts. Now, they get to stand in parking lots in the cold for hours trying to hand them out to strangers. It's not surprising that nobody graduates from the Rodrigues Homeschool being able to read or write above a third grade level. 

Now; all of this was advanced education in marketing and logistics.  Not to mention the artistic talent needed to put labels on boxes.  And the physical education requirement is more than met with all of the lifting involved.  These kids are lucky to be getting such a wonderful education.

• LOL 15
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Now; all of this was advanced education in marketing and logistics.  Not to mention the artistic talent needed to put labels on boxes.  And the physical education requirement is more than met with all of the lifting involved.  These kids are lucky to be getting such a wonderful education.

Don't forget the mathematics in knowing how many tracts will fit in a box and how many boxes will fit in a van. Also, the kids need to figure out how many they need to hand out before BEST MOMMA comes back so they can earn a cup of beige slop or a slice of the unpopular beige casserole for dinner. Geometry involves getting the labels centered perfectly and knowing how to navigate the ever-shrinking printshop space without falling into a vat of blonde hair dye. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I find it is very effective to say, "I'm a practicing Catholic, let me tell you about my church!'"  Most of these proselytyzing types are the sort that think that Catholics worship statues and are going straight to hell.  They shut up and go away pretty quick, afraid of catching Catholic cooties.

I welcome one and all to use this approach; Catholic or not.

If they come to your door, do you also do what my grandmother used to do--invite them in, pour them a cup of coffee, light a cigarette, and start to tell them about the Catholic Church?  

• LOL 23
Just now, Ohiopirate02 said:

If they come to your door, do you also do what my grandmother used to do--invite them in, pour them a cup of coffee, light a cigarette, and start to tell them about the Catholic Church?  

No, I don't smoke.  Or drink coffee.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

No, I don't smoke.  Or drink coffee.

In my grandma's defense, it was the 60s or maybe the 70s when she did this and she had popped out 9 kids in 11 years.  She would also stay up all night cleaning the house and cooking for the family, so she definitely needed the pick-me-up coffee provides.  She was also a Prod before meeting my grandfather and converted for him.  Those RCIA Catholics are dangerous when the JWs come calling.

• Love 15
10 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Jill always follows these "saved souls" posts with a disclaimer like: let's hope they grow in the Lord, let's pray he continues in his journey with Jesus, etc. Unless people give their real names and phone numbers, she has no way to know if they are sincere. She never mentions following up with anybody. She just declares success and goes out to lunch with Shrek to celebrate. 

I notice that Jill always follows these "saved someone" posts with a selfie of herself.  Basically every topic must include a photo shopped selfie of Jill.  Jill is who is most important, not the poor, saved, Walmart parking lot guys.

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

Do they ever print anything other than Bible tracts? Seems like it would be a good idea to diversify their business. 

No, as I recall, Shrek actually used to work in the printing industry.  Then, he quit his job and started up the home printshop specifically to glorify Jesus.  He does it for the love of Jesus, doncha know? I think he also either gives them away  or charges a pittance for them because Jesus told him that giving away scary pamphlets threatening hell and damnation without charging for it was more important than feeding, clothing or sheltering his children.

I am pretty sure that David takes no outside jobs, he only prints the pamphlets we've seen.

1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

In other words, the children's activity for the last few weeks has been printing, sticking on labels, boxing, and loading vehicles with these tracts. Now, they get to stand in parking lots in the cold for hours trying to hand them out to strangers

Well now I am even more angry - for some reason I thought those stupid tracts were just left in doors or mailboxes.  I didn't realize the kids have to hand them out.  Seems like that's a slippery slope for Jill, to have her skeletal, sunken-eyed offspring handing out tracts to strangers - might not someone take a close look at those kids and call CPS or the authorities?

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Well now I am even more angry - for some reason I thought those stupid tracts were just left in doors or mailboxes.  I didn't realize the kids have to hand them out.  Seems like that's a slippery slope for Jill, to have her skeletal, sunken-eyed offspring handing out tracts to strangers - might not someone take a close look at those kids and call CPS or the authorities?

CPS has already been called multiple times on the Rodriguii.  Alas, it seems that Jill and Shrek aren't the worst parents out there and their kids aren't the most neglected, so not much happens to them.  And, when it seems like CPS might've reached their limit, they pull up stakes and move out of state.

For those who remember good ole Emily and Dna and her blog; the Rodrigues' kids live in the land of milk and honey compared to conditions in the slum where Emily and Dna lived.  They also got reported to Children's Services by people who read the blog and saw the way they were living.  Dna (Emily  was a really bad typist) even got tossed out of divinity school when the dean saw what she was posting online.  Last I heard, they were divorced after having a couple more kids and I believe Dan had custody and Emily was completely off her rocker.  There were some photos of their apartment and living conditions on the old blog that would make you cry.  Amongst other things, one of the kids got sick and actually lapsed into a coma before Emily noticed and took him to the hospital.  She thought it was normal for a 6 year old to sleep for 24 hours straight.

Edited by doodlebug

My dad once forced a door-to-door evangelist to mow our lawn. (He was drunk and is a big, burly guy covered in scary paratrooper tattoos.) They never came back. 

I would pay money to watch him do that to the Rodrigues family. 

• LOL 18
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

My dad once forced a door-to-door evangelist to mow our lawn. (He was drunk and is a big, burly guy covered in scary paratrooper tattoos.) They never came back. 

I would pay money to watch him do that to the Rodrigues family. 

David would die from a heart attack due to over exertion 

No great loss to Jill

Then Jill would marry a Dingus and happily spend all his $$$ 

Kids would still be hungry 

Edited by iwantcookies
  • Love 3

My guess is that he doesn't. Hasn't Jill made a big deal out of the fact that he's Portuguese and not of Spanish descent? I always got the vibe it was something they were assholes about (among the many other things they are assholes about). 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, louannems said:

I notice that Jill always follows these "saved someone" posts with a selfie of herself.  Basically every topic must include a photo shopped selfie of Jill.  Jill is who is most important, not the poor, saved, Walmart parking lot guys.

Oh yes, it's all about JillR, all the time.

It's interesting that although she posts many selfies of herself with the people she encounters, and also photos of the other people, I don't think I've seen a selfie with, or photo of, any of her "saved" souls. If it were anybody but JillR I'd think the reason would involve respect for the privacy of the other person. But, this is JillR. I wonder if she refrains from SM posts with photos because it's easier to dodge any followup/accountability if all she mentions is a name or three, vs. photos. Someone might see a photo and recognize their hearty-partying bro-in-law who either had a temporary conversion or was just shining JillR on so that she would shut up and leave them alone. It's safer for JillR to avoid that.

56 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

As @doodlebug said, the tracts are often shipped or delivered to buyers (churches or the like), probably at cost or very little profit to David. I don't believe the Rod kids had to personally hand out all the tracts in the boxes in that recent photo, for instance. There are, I'm sure, plenty of times when the family does go paper a neighborhood, but I don't recall her posting about that lately. Then there was the expedition to save souls in the Walmart parking lot being discussed above. She only mentioned a few of the older kids in that post, so I'm not sure she dragged everybody out with her that time.

• Love 5

update on the rod family blog Jan 23 2021- they still need donations to complete the barndo

January 2021 – Family Update & Videos!

Posted on January 23, 2021 by Rodrigues Family

***VIDEOS BELOW!!**

We apologize how LONG it has been since we have reached out to you with an update on how our family and ministry is doing.  We are doing great and it seems the older we (and our children) get, the busier we become.  We took a HUGE sigh of relief once we had the main part of our house built (on the inside) and Nathan & Nurie’s wedding done and paid for.  It was indeed a glorious wedding day (on July 25, 2020) and our home is a blessing. 

However, as soon as we finished all of that, we became swamped in the Print Shop with a ton more work and some more traveling to sing and present our ministry.  God has been SO good to us in allowing us to serve Him full time.  We are just now finishing up 110,000 Yellow Smiley Gospel booklets – 10,000 of them being Spanish.  It has been a family effort to get that job complete while working on other orders and preparing for a singing / presenting our ministry tour down South….midst keeping the children on track with their home school work, etc.  It is a VERY busy, yet FULL life.  We wouldn’t trade it for anything!  Jill is working on the annual Ladies’ Retreat presently.  It has been a challenge to plan with all the new Covid restrictions, but God is working out all of the details.  

Our biggest need right now is to pray for the funding to complete work on the house and print shop.  The space in the print shop is infringed upon due to us using a lot of it for living space.  We plan to build an addition off of the back of the house to put our living room space (for the family) there.  Then, we can fully use the shop space for what it was intended for – printing and all the work space that is involved in making that happen.  Please pray for us regarding this.

We love you all and although we have been disheartened at the direction our good, ole United States of America is headed, we know our hope is not in our government, but in the LORD (as we are seen singing about in the video below).  We pray it encourages you.

Stand STRONG, Christian.  In a world where Christians are caving to the pressures of this old, sinful world and its demands, now – MORE THAN EVER- we need to learn to endure HARDNESS as soldiers of the cross!  To NOT compromise on values we once held dear, yet, to love others big.  It is a fine line to walk, but God will always give us the wisdom to walk it!! 

Please check out our YouTube Channel under the name – Jill Rodrigues – for fun family videos PLUS a new series Jill has started named – “Make Your Life Count Minute with Jill”.   Hope you enjoy.  **Check out some of those videos below.**

God bless you all and HAPPY NEW YEAR! 

With Care,  The Rodrigues Family 

https://rodriguesfamilyministries.com/main/?cat=1