Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E06: Michelle's High School Reunion

I just got around to watching “The Reunion” show.  I sincerely hope Jana was given the common courtesy of being asked to attend and she declined, especially after hearing Joy exclaim how cool it was going to be - in her presence.   Please tell me that poor put-upon girl was not singled out to stay home with the younger kids.  Please. 

• Love 5

Georgia; is your skirt as long as Michelle's was? I can't imagine how that would not get in the way. Michelle is said to work out with machines, which I believe a flairy skirt can catch on to and it would be unsafe...thanks..

• Love 2

I though it might be a "taped reunion" provided by TLC. You don't take kids to reunions and they're almost never "dry". If they had filmed the real reunion, which, someone saw the newspaper for, was at night, they would've needed consent to film. There's almost always a DJ and a sit down dinner which people pay for per head. I think what we saw was the pre-party party.

• Love 2

So the Duggar's and TLC faked a reunion? Probably because everyone that J'Chelle graduated with thinks she's crazy.

Yes! Because they are running dry on storyline so fake til you make it must be their new moto.

• Love 2

I attended high school with a multi-Grammy Award winner who is considered the best in the world at what he does. He was also tormented when we were in school due to bad skin and being a real introvert. The reunion committees for the past thirty years have been BEGGING him to attend. He turns them down every time. I tell this story to state the following: I agree that the "reunion" was faked. "Families were welcome" but the only identifiable children of any of the attendees are the Duggars? Also, the lack of alcohol or any food choices besides finger foods the Duggars' kids Hoovered up -- uh, no. I don't think the people that attended were offered even $50 for their participation. After all, they got to be on Tee Vee. The best part: The room was full of people when the Duggars walked in. As usual, they were LATE.

I'm guessing that people who are legitimately famous would have almost anything else to do besides attend their school reunions for publicity.

The people that attended were most likely hand-selected by the producers to make sure the comments would paint J-Chelle in a good light.

• Love 6

I like when Jim Boob was gathering everyone to go to the reunion, it was almost an afterthought "oh Jana, she's going to stay with the younger ones." Well of course she is Boob, who else would?

When the kids were working on the invitations (?putting mailing stickers on them) was that the Home Foolin' for the day? We haven't seen or heard anything of the Home Foolin' this season. Good grief TLC --at least put some of them in front of the computers now & then to make us viewers think they are learning. Maybe they haven't gotten a new teacher to replace Jessa. (Didn't MEchelle hand over the reigns to her or was it another J'slave?) At least James has his private tutor, Jilly Muffin (til Dilly comes along.)

Boy Hannie was lucky that she got to celebrate her birthday on her birthday. She didn't have to wait a month or celebrate it with anyone else.

• Love 3

As religious people, shouldn't they look at all of this timeline fakery as LYING? As when Jessa just happened to try on an off the rack wedding dress & it fit perfectly, not that it had already been shopped for and altered? Or the fake reunion? I'm wondering how they justify it in their head? "It's just acting?" Or Reenacting?

• Love 4

I like the quote from this episode..."if you humble yourself, you'll never go wrong." (Paraphrasing). I am not personally getting into whether or not or when the Duggars have/haven't been humble. Anyone else can, of course, but, I'm just saying I like the idea. It's beautiful to me, and hearing it made me happy. I wrote it on my chalkboard wall in my bedroom to hopefully remind myself when I get too uppity. :)

The LAST thing I think about when I see/hear Boob, Mechelle, Smuggar (he earned that moniker), Jessa, and even Jill pontificate on just about anything is humility. IMO, the only truly humble Duggar is Jana. 

• Love 10

The LAST thing I think about when I see/hear Boob, Mechelle, Smuggar (he earned that moniker), Jessa, and even Jill pontificate on just about anything is humility. IMO, the only truly humble Duggar is Jana.

Yeah, I don't think of the Duggars when I think about that quote. I just like it to think about in my own life. But, I will say I agree, Jana does seem pretty humble. I could see her saying "I'm sorry" first, for instance, in an argument. Or, just keeping quiet in certain situations or with certain topics.

• Love 4

I didn't get a real reunion vibe from it at all.  Odd how when Michelle walks in the door there is someone who just happens to be right inside the door for her to shriek and run to hug.  There were no typical decorations or sign in table.  Just a very few people milling around and an almost snack buffet line.  It looked exactly like TLC rented a hotel conference room and set up for filming.  Maybe it was the weekend of the real reunion and they offered a group of the attendees a free "lunch" and filming opportunity or perhaps $50 each to come be filmed with Michelle.

Well then I guess my high school reunion was fake lol

My 10 year was pretty lame.  We had a dinner at the country club where there's a bar.  That's it.  No decorations, no sign in table.  I graduated with 69 people.  Who needs to sign-in?? lol 

And omg we didn't even have name badges *shock and horror*

My point is that not all high school reunions are fancy shin-digs or multi-day events.  Because it's someone from that class that organizes it and there are not a whole lot of people willing to do that. 

• Love 2

I checked in to Michelle's high school and the yearbook, etc. Almost everything regarding the class of 1984 is not there. It seems strange to me that the school system, websites, etc would remove "that year" because of her? Maybe I'm not researching Springdale High School very well...anyone find into online?

I actually don't find Jana very humble either. I find her slightly more honest, but that isn't the same as humble.

My high school only had a 15 and 25 official reunion, but a bunch of us get together every Christmas for dinner. We usually have 20-50 show. It wouldn't be hard to do that if there was going to be a filmed segment. I'm betting TLC arranged something similar.

Edited by GEML

One small nitpick this episode: Michelle and Cindy talking while working out. I absolutely hate being talked to while doing cardio. If you're doing it right, shouldn't you not be able to carry on a conversation due to being out of breath and concentrating?

I actually don't find Jana very humble either. I find her slightly more honest, but that isn't the same as humble.

Interesting, could you elaborate in the Jana thread? I'm curious.

• Love 2

I checked in to Michelle's high school and the yearbook, etc. Almost everything regarding the class of 1984 is not there. It seems strange to me that the school system, websites, etc would remove "that year" because of her? Maybe I'm not researching Springdale High School very well...anyone find into online?

I found someone selling her yearbook on Ebay a long time ago.There was a picture of her and a boyfriend (supposedly ) .

I find Joy's comment quite telling about how floored she was in meeting people who knew her mother "before she was her mother"....well, who does she think Grandma Duggar, Deanna, Michelle AND the RUARK family are? It goes to show you just how infrequently she visits and spends any time with her mother's side of the family because they ALL knew Michelle from infancy. It is weird of Joy to react like that also because they LIVE IN THE TOWN she went to school in, in the first place! I would think that in a small rural community like Springdale/Tontitown, they run in to people you "knew when you were young" all the time. It also tells me just how sheltered and segregated these kids are and were from the general population of the community in which they live...anyone else feel similarly?

Even in large towns, if you don't move, you see people fairly regularly. My hometown is fairly large, but no one ever seems to move away from the county. My mom and I were shopping last week and the cashier at PetSmart recognized her from high school. My mom is 55 and graduated with 1700 kids and that was just her class, not even the whole school. I went to the same high school as my mom and just saw a guy I've known since elementary school at the grocery store last week with his kids and I see people I've known literally since kindergarten. My class was one of the smallest in years, 806 students, but I still see people all the time. 

As for the kids at the reunion, it's a newer trend. My 20th reunion is this summer and it's a 3 day event. Friday night at a local bar, my guess being the one a guy a few years older than us owns with his brother a year younger than us (like I said we NEVER LEAVE THE DAMN COUNTY!), Saturday will be the reunion at a party center, and Sunday is a family day at the beach.

I don't doubt the filmed event was set up specifically for TLC with a limited amount of people involved though. If it was a family day situation, there should have been other kids. I did notice Michelle was very touchy feely with that guy from her class. She must have touched his arm like 5 times. A married woman like Michelle, touching a man? That's flirting right there! 

One small nitpick this episode: Michelle and Cindy talking while working out. I absolutely hate being talked to while doing cardio. If you're doing it right, shouldn't you not be able to carry on a conversation due to being out of breath and concentrating?

I despise this as well.   You want to talk- lets talk.  Don't talk to me when I'm working out or I'll kill you!  ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-1982-Springdale-High-School-Yearbook-Springdale-Arkansas-/221707240260?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339ec80344

Here's 1982. Michelle would've converted to Christianity that year. Old yearbook crop up all the time on ebay.

So is Mechelle 50?

• Love 1

I despise this as well. You want to talk- lets talk. Don't talk to me when I'm working out or I'll kill you! ;)

So is Mechelle 50?

Yes in September I believe.

Eta. Michelle's bday is September 1966, so her high school graduation year would be 1984

Edited by Darknight

Question - if Michelle does work out alone at home, what does she wear?

She wears long skirts and those thrift store polo shirts. One of the most ridiculous episodes featured Michelle wearing this outfit and working out on the elliptical while PREGNANT. My mouth dropped at how dangerous that was.
  • Love 1

I, also thought that Michelle on the elliptical while pregnant was NOT a good idea at all...I also noticed that Michelle does not know how to work out. I'm sure her "working out" is limited to that type of machine, like Jana is a concert pianist, a midwife, and Jinger is a photographer,,,etc... The difference in form between Cindy and Michelle was obvious to me and I am not an expert "exerciser"....her movements were sloppy compared to Cindy; Michelle doesn't look like she was a cheerleader; as I believe one needs to be athletic and know how to "move" properly. Michelle also, should have known the workout moves if she, indeed , DID work out. She really doesn't.

Another thing that I thought was "verboten" was a woman, especially a MARRIED one, touching and stroking the arm of another man! Michelle, who barely, and rarely hugs her OWN CHILDREN was stroking a non blood relative who is a man...how is that right in accordance with their beliefs? I noticed the look on Jim Bob's face and he was NOT comfortable at all at that event. I am quite tired of invented, scripted but oh, "real events" being passed off in this poorly put together TV show that masquerades as a "ministry". It is not a ministry and ceased to be,, IMO, after the first few specials...

Once again, I thought Michelle was dressed in a ridiculous and improper manner to exercise. Her skirt was simply too long to be safe to work out in. There are some times in life that pants are the proper choice. I doubt that anyone would mistake even Michelle for being a man in a pair of proper pants attire. They have simply lost the focus about that and wear skirts constantly just to get attention. Like Joy with that silly skirt over pants pushing that truck in an exercise segment..Jessa, also had an improper skirt on in the first place..who works out in a fitted denim skirt, girl? I would think you could see 'up her dress" when bench pressing...that's not modest either. It's just no common sense.

• Love 5

No, Michelle was born in 1966, so she's still 48. Jim Bob will be 50 this summer, I think maybe in June.

Oh no, do I see a Surprise 50th B'day party in the future? Maybe they will surprise him with things he doesn't like, like they did with Amy & the clowns. Make him eat food from another country or put him high up somewhere & make him bungee jump, since he didn't like the rappelling thing w/Ben & Derick.

• Love 4

Another thing that I thought was "verboten" was a woman, especially a MARRIED one, touching and stroking the arm of another man! Michelle, who barely, and rarely hugs her OWN CHILDREN was stroking a non blood relative who is a man...how is that right in accordance with their beliefs?

I noticed that, too! That gesture seemed extremely out of keeping with their usual song and dance.

• Love 4

Oh, but there are plenty of folks who really do believe stuff like that. Horseback riding, gymnastics, all kinds of ridiculous stuff. And I'm sure plenty

of girls have used that myth to their advantage to explain why it ain't the

Shhhh... it's not a myth. 

I lost mine sliding into 3rd base.

LOL!!

• Love 4

The difference in form between Cindy and Michelle was obvious to me and I am not an expert "exerciser"....her movements were sloppy compared to Cindy; Michelle doesn't look like she was a cheerleader; as I believe one needs to be athletic and know how to "move" properly. Michelle also, should have known the workout moves if she, indeed , DID work out. She really doesn't.

I have to slightly disagree with you on the cheerleader thing. In high school, a good friend of mine was a cheerleader and she was not that athletic. She was on the chunky side compared to the other cheerleaders and today she's sort of big. She didn't run or anything like that and she was never thin like most cheerleaders. I was more athletic  & sexier then she was. For most, cheerleading is about socializing and being associated with the 'in' crowd. I was actually surprised that my friend always made the cheerleading squad. But she did. 

On another note,  I will say that if Michelle did exercise on a daily basis, like they claim she does, then she wouldn't have been so out of breath doing a basic exercise routine for the cameras for 10 minutes. She looked totally lost during the cardio and that stretching, or whatever it was Cindy and her did, looked like a poorly put together aerobic video from the 80's. 

• Love 2

As with a lot of high schools, there are those that take cheer seriously as a competitive sport and those that view it as a popularity contest and those that just see it as another club. I have no idea what Michelle's high school was like, but I had the impression that she was a " joiner" in high school which, ironically, makes her becoming part of a cult like Gothard all the more believable. It's not isolated social misfits who tend to join cults, but people who like to join groups and feel included yet special. Most are in their early twenties and are above average intelligence.

• Love 1

Its really hard for me to believe that J'chelle let her daughters write in their courting book about her throwing up after eating when in high school and she never bothered to tell her best friend Cindy about it before the book came out.  (I couldn't tell if Cindy was implying that when she read the book that is when she found out about it or if just reading about it made her cry. )   Also, when Cindy came to the house to pick J'chelle up, J'chelle did not seem very excited.  She barely got up to greet her friend when she came through the door.  That seemed weird.  Probably another planned reenactment. 

J'Boob looked really off his game at the reunion.  He was uncomfortable.  A gathering he couldn't control. 

• Love 3

Boob was standing right behind Mechelle when she got super familiar with her old classmate. I was surprised that Boob didn't jerk her arm away right then and there. I do bet she got a good talking-to that night, behind closed doors. I bet the gist of it was how these people are still such a bad influence on her and that she still needs to steer clear of them. Just another way to assert his control over the "hot cheerleader."

Boob has already shamed her into thinking she had "baggage" before they met.  This scenario dovetails well with this theory, in HIS mind. 

• Love 3

Its really hard for me to believe that J'chelle let her daughters write in their courting book about her throwing up after eating when in high school and she never bothered to tell her best friend Cindy about it before the book came out

Just wait until Jill's baby is born. Michelle will need to get all eyes back on her. We'll get a story of how she went to a dance in middle school, wearing a white dress, and got her first period. ANYTHING to say relevant with her.

• Love 2

I don`t know. I still kind of think Jim Bob exerts so much control over his children because he has no control over Michelle despite their belief system. I still think Michelle is the one driving this crazy train and it has more to do with the way she sees herself rather than the way Jim Bob sees her.

Jim Bob often looks at Michelle like the sun rises out of her ass. Michelle, despite keeping sweet, not so much.

• Love 2

Just wait until Jill's baby is born. Michelle will need to get all eyes back on her. We'll get a story of how she went to a dance in middle school, wearing a white dress, and got her first period. ANYTHING to say relevant with her.

I'm still laughing. I'm sure after the Dillard Messiah is born, we'll have to have MEchelle go down memory lane & describe each child's birth AGAIN. No TLC, please don't go there...

Oops, I'll show myself to the Prayer Closet.

I'm thinking TLC already has the "Memory Lane of the Duggar Births including grandchildren" front & center on their shelves, ready to go at a moment's notice whenever they need filler.

• Love 1

I'm still laughing. I'm sure after the Dillard Messiah is born, we'll have to have MEchelle go down memory lane & describe each child's birth AGAIN. No TLC, please don't go there...

...and how Michelle could have DIED giving birth to each and every one of them.

They have filmed Michelle at home on her elliptical machine, and she wears that god awful long denim skirt, her cotton blouses and sneakers..I guess she doesn't life her legs up in the air when working out...so no need to wear the leggings under her skirt...but oh, yuck, I don't want to think about what is really under Michelle's skirt....!

19 miles of baaaaaaaaad road.
  • Love 2

Jim Bob looked absolutely repulsed to have to face Michelle's high school peers. He was as nervous as a "long-tailed cat in a room filled with rocking chairs"! Was he afraid he would run in to any of Michelle's old boyfriends or dates? Did those guys touch down on her lips first, before he did?

I watched the "additional scenes" episode late last night. Boob sure did look pissed about being there. Even as they walked n the door & MEchelle greets someone, Boob pushed Jackson forward like to get him out of the way so he could get closer to MEchelle.

They added that Hannie requested fruit instead of a cake at her birthday party at the stables. They went on & on that she loves fruit & didn't want a cake. That could be true but at the end Hannie said she didn't miss the birthday cake, making it sound like they had to coax her into having fruit. (A true internet FU) The kids were really excited about the fruit as we know fresh fruit & veggies are a treat in that family, not a food staple. Their bodies were probably in shock.

• Love 1

Georgia; is your skirt as long as Michelle's was? I can't imagine how that would not get in the way. Michelle is said to work out with machines, which I believe a flairy skirt can catch on to and it would be unsafe...thanks..

Yes, I wear either a below-the-knee yoga skirt over leggings or skirted leggings (also below-the-knee). I cycle, do Barre and weight-training classes, and swim without any problems. I tuck or fold my skirt underneath me if I need to. Like I mentioned, I've done triathlons in a skirt. Never had any problems. With my skirt, that is - I've had shoelace problems at my last 3 races.

Elliptical is fine when you're pregnant and otherwise healthy. It's a low-impact exercise. I personally clear all exercise with my OB and that was one of the ones she signed off on for me.