Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

This is a soft cancellation. They’re dumping the last contracted season onto Peacock. The loyal viewers will protest but they can’t complain that they show is ending. Then, next year, they can quietly cancel the show with much less outcry because they will have already lost a bunch of viewer with the move.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4

I'm surprised there has been such little notice as well.  Have they said what they're replacing it with?

I do wonder if this was the plan all along with a two-year renewal.  The first on NBC and the second on Peacock. I think if they had any thought of canceling, they would have only given the show another year-long contract as that had been the length for many years before this 2-year.

I guess we'll know if they plan a big splashy launch on Peacock with a big cliffhanger.

I don't thin this is an attempt to bury DOOL. I suspect they're more concerned with trying to get Peacock up and running.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

What this comes down to, though? Ron essentially killed OLTL, and now his shitty writing killed Days on NBC. Because if the numbers were still there, it would not be moving.

Why is this hack still employed?

The other soaps won't be far behind. All of the numbers are terrible. GH will probably move to Hulu next.

• Sad 2
  • Love 1

I have a feeling that this is only news to us.  I bet TPTB have known for a while.  

I'll go out on a limb and say that the most recent Beyond Salem is a set up for what the new streaming Days will look like.  Actors' Instagrams aren't necessarily a good indication, but it seems like the time between filming it to when it aired was pretty quick... like they knew something.  I didn't watch it because I don't pay for Peacock (yet, maybe I'll have to), but I'm pretty sure it ended with a cliffhanger regarding a fan favorite.  My guess is that they are about to merge.  

• Love 2

Have to admit I'm impresssed that Days kept this under wraps for as long as they did. They provide better drama offscreen than on it. Which is why I don't expect a lot of people paying to watch it. I get Peacock with my cable package but if I have to pay extra to watch Days I won't do it. 

Other than being anti streaming in general its not even worth watching for free what makes them think people are going to pay for it now especially in this economy. Most of their fans are of an older age group they probably aren't going to go through the trouble of streaming. I'm considerably younger and I won't do it. 

This feels like a slow march to the inevitable cancellation in September 2023(which is why I think they got the two year renewal). Except instead of providing a series finale on NBC it will probably be on Peacock where most people won't even get to see it. 

Once that happens the other soaps will follow....

In retrospect I think they probably should've been cancelled last year instead of given a two year renewal if this was going to happen.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

TVMoJoe on Twitter: "@clever_katy @SteveKaylaGroup @WilliamFMorgan @KarenGurie @Scrappy519 @daysofourlives @vulture I’ve talked to sources inside NBCU. The company is devoted to making this work because they need Peacock to work. I do agree with this: If it doesn’t boost subscribers in a meaningful way, it’s very unlikely DOOL lasts beyond its current deal." / Twitter

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I will never absolve Ron Carlivati for making the show so awful that the network dropped it.

But...

I said this on another board, and it may be controversial: I doubt this show would have ever had a true hack like Ron had the show never hired James E. Reilly. Yes, he raised ratings with the Possession shit for a short time, but that story as far as I am concerned changed the entire foundation of the show (seriously, look up Episode #1 on YT, which aired on the defunct SoapNet years ago, too! It was REALISTIC. The show dealt with family and romance - a soap!) for the worse, allowing the quality to turn into a cartoon with the depth of a puddle.

And the show NEVER recovered after the brief ratings surge.

And with the show now a joke, Ron was a "perfect" fit to bring JER's work back (second round of Devil shit!) and here we are.

So, if I had to say who is responsible for all of this? Hacks 1 and 2, Reilly and Carlivati.

• Applause 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm surprised there has been such little notice as well.  Have they said what they're replacing it with?

I do wonder if this was the plan all along with a two-year renewal.  The first on NBC and the second on Peacock. I think if they had any thought of canceling, they would have only given the show another year-long contract as that had been the length for many years before this 2-year.

I guess we'll know if they plan a big splashy launch on Peacock with a big cliffhanger.

I don't thin this is an attempt to bury DOOL. I suspect they're more concerned with trying to get Peacock up and running.

Another hour-long news program (NBC News Daily) Cause you know we need more of them. 🙄

• Sad 5
  • Fire 2

That's good for Canadian fans if things won't change for them. I do wonder though how many actors are going to leave as they know the writing is on the wall.

I can see some jump to another soap LK can return to B&B as Margo. Susan Seaforth Hayes can return to Y&R as Lauren's mom, Joanna Manning(although I think she would stay with Days till the end tbh).

SN/MBE could go back to GH(assuming they don't get the boot after April 2023).

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I do wonder though how many actors are going to leave as they know the writing is on the wall.

If this was in the plan with the renewal, my guess is the costs are already baked into their contracts.

Streaming is much more advanced than the AMC/OLTL attempts.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

There are three levels of Peacock. 

Basic Peacock has no paywall.  Lots of commercials, though fewer than broadcast TV.
Peacock Premium is $4.99/month.  Limited commercials, 
Peacock Plus is $9.99/month.  Commercial-free.

Cox, Spectrum, and xfinity all give their cable TV subscribers free access to Peacock Premium.

https://www.peacocktv.com/spectrum
https://www.peacocktv.com/cox
https://www.peacocktv.com/xfinity

Other cable companies may also offer free mid-level Peacock Premium.  Try using the URL format to check.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Like 3
  • Useful 4
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

If this was in the plan with the renewal, my guess is the costs are already baked into their contracts.

Streaming is much more advanced than the AMC/OLTL attempts.

I mean, it could work but I feel awful for the viewers who are 90 and live in retirement homes and don't understand why Days isn't on NBC at 12 like it always is. My Baby Boomer mother is 75 and I have to put GH on for Hul for her. She doesn't understand streaming.

• Sad 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I agree with the poster who talks about the Beyond Salem format being the future, if there is one for the show. It’s hard to imagine them producing 260 episodes per year for streaming once the current contract for the 2022-2023 season is concluded. I could see them doing shorter mini seasons instead.

But this is more evidence that broadcast/linear TV is dying. NBC isn’t even trying to put a decent replacement on. Just a news show that will also get low ratings, but is much cheaper to produce.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

There are three levels of Peacock. 

Basic Peacock has no paywall.  Lots of commercials, though fewer than broadcast TV.
Peacock Premium is $4.99/month.  Limited commercials, 
Peacock Plus is $9.99/month.  Commercial-free.

Cox, Spectrum, and xfinity all give their cable TV subscribers free access to Peacock Premium.

https://www.peacocktv.com/spectrum
https://www.peacocktv.com/cox
https://www.peacocktv.com/xfinity

Other cable companies may also offer free mid-level Peacock Premium.  Try using the URL format to check.

I have spectrum and I only have basic Peacock. I had to pay 499 to watch beyond Salem

And not to mention there are still people in the country who are not able to stream. We only got broadband the year and a half ago. Before that I was stuck with satellite TV no streaming. I do not know if I am willing to pay $60 a year to watch days of our lives since Peacock programming basically sucks. It it’s not like paying for Amazon or Netflix or some thing that actually has interesting shows . I also believe that this is the end of days of our lives. 

Edited by chediavolo
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

I do not know if I am willing to pay $60 a year to watch days of our lives since Peacock programming basically sucks.

I gave up cable in 2020.  I originally signed up for YouTube TV (which is essentially cable but much cheaper) but dropped it when they thought it was a good idea to raise prices 30% in one month because they were now going to include a bunch of channels I never wanted in the first place - as I said, just like the cable companies.  When I gave up YouTube, I was originally watching Days on the NBC app for free.  (Roku users couldn't originally use Peacock until they worked out some revenue agreement.)  After Peacock and Roku worked out an agreement, they then stopped carrying Days on the NBC app - forcing all viewers to go to Peacock - but you could still access it on the free tier.  At the end of the 2021, Peacock ran a promo where you could sign up for Premium for a year for only $30.00.  I did this only because I wanted to watch a couple shows I could only stream on Peacock Premium.  I'm guessing that for at least the near future Peacock will continue to show regular Days on the free tier.  

I agree with all the posters who say this move is going to really cut down on the number of viewers for Days.  I'm a younger boomer and fairly comfortable with technology and it took me a really long time to give up cable and turn to streaming - basically inertia and comfortability with what I was used to.  I can't imagine trying to teach someone who still has cable if their package doesn't include Peacock how to switch input, and stream on their TV - assuming they either have a smart TV with WIFI or a streaming device.  Many people who are not comfortable with technology  won't even know where to start.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

I'm going to be the optimist here and hope the move will bring in better writing and new viewers.  If it's the end of Days, so be it, but I'm hoping the move will breath new life into this old soap.

This is where I am. But I mean, I like the show still so lol.

11 hours ago, tessaray said:

I suspect enough people watch online already that the ones left behind won't matter to the advertisers.  

Yea, this. I imagine they feel Beyond Salem did well enough that they feel this has potential to be a good move for them.

Also, I don't see how Ron killed Days. Soaps are just dying out. Times change. Maybe they'll have a resurgence, even if only a little bit, on streaming. 

• Like 2
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I mean, it could work but I feel awful for the viewers who are 90 and live in retirement homes and don't understand why Days isn't on NBC at 12 like it always is. My Baby Boomer mother is 75 and I have to put GH on for Hul for her. She doesn't understand streaming.

Oh I agree.  I feel very comfortable with streaming.  I have quite a few services, including Peacock through cable. (Although I'm thinking of cutting that cord. )  But I almost never go to Peacock because its interface sucks. 

And I think that's a big negative for DOOL.  Even though people aren't thrilled with Netflix, I do think people go there to look for something to watch and would watch DOOL if it came up.  I don't think people just hang out in the Peacock interface looking for something to watch.  I think people will forget.

44 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Also, I don't see how Ron killed Days. Soaps are just dying out. Times change. Maybe they'll have a resurgence, even if only a little bit, on streaming. 

I agree.  I've blamed JER for years because I do think the temporary ratings rise changed the tenor of soaps and broke the habit for many. 

But after that?  I don't think Ron is any more responsible than Dena.  Or any other number of writers before him.  I think only Anderson could write a show I'd be happy with.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

I agree with the poster who talks about the Beyond Salem format being the future, if there is one for the show. It’s hard to imagine them producing 260 episodes per year for streaming once the current contract for the 2022-2023 season is concluded. I could see them doing shorter mini seasons instead.

But this is more evidence that broadcast/linear TV is dying. NBC isn’t even trying to put a decent replacement on. Just a news show that will also get low ratings, but is much cheaper to produce.

It does make me wonder if that's what will happen for any of the soaps that end up being moved to streaming (yes, I expect this to happen to at least 1 of the other soaps in the next few years if not all 3 of them). It was too early in 2013 for All My Children and One Life to Live when they did it on Hulu and enough people, including me (I ended up watching the revived AMC via OWN), weren't quite used to watching via streaming, but it's more normalized now. Given Beyond Salem seems to be working on Peacock, I think Days could work on Peacock, especially with reduced episodes, though obviously it will lose viewers. It will be interesting to see what happens

• Like 3

I think one of the challenges with the AMC/OLTL model was that they didn’t really understand ahead of time that people wouldn’t keep up with the daily episodes (that’s why they quickly moved from four episodes per week to two). And they should have understood that, because that was always the model on broadcast: daily serials are written for people who tune in roughly three times per week. That’s why they move slowly and have so much repetition.

With streaming, you have the ability to go at your own pace and see every episode. So if they move forward with more episodes of DOOL after they burn off current episode order, I think they’ll look very closely at how many episodes they’ll truly need. And whether or not they have shorter, close-ended seasons a la Beyond Salem.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, carrier76 said:

I guess too bad for people like my 90 year old grandma who has watched this for as long as I can remember. I truly hate moving free tv shows to streaming.

I also feel for the elderly viewers who find comfort in this series as part of their daily routine. There are plenty of people who are too old and won't bother with streaming services. This is the end of the show for them, for sure. They won't pay money or fuss with signing up for a service to find it. For them, it'll just disappear.

Perhaps this was simply the last resort for Corday. Either fold the show completely or try streaming for a year or two. I can't imagine they're happy about going off the air, even if it's technically continuing...

...I also wonder how this will affect the tone of the series. We've all long prayed for a return to character-based storytelling and an emphasis on slow-build, nuanced arcs. My suspicion is the streaming series will only lean more into Ron's cartoony approach, for the sake of creating "hype".

Will it be all shirtless RSW?

Will they finally try appealing to younger fans, the ones who can theoretically keep it afloat by subscribing?

Will veterans like Maggie, Julie, Doug and Victor get the brush-off?

And given how far in advance they work, did they write the September episodes knowing they'd only be streamed? Or will streaming-influenced changes only come into effect six months from now?

...how would the show be cancelled from the streaming service? Would it even get notice?

So many questions.

Amen to Global carrying it. Canada has long supported the soaps.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Let's think about the numbers: the show's weekly budget is probably around 700,000. I remember reading that figure about a decade ago - there have been cuts, but also inflation, so it could still be around the same. AMC and OLTL online cost around 125 an episode.

That's 2.8 million a month. The show would need to bring in 560,000 subscribers just to cover that budget, which is about a third of its audience right now. Commercials will bring that down a bit.

That sends like a really real order, frankly. There will definitely be changes, and I assume the first will be a move to fewer episodes.

On the other hand, for a regular hour long scripted series, you're talking in the millions. DOOL is a pittance compared to that.

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

...how would the show be cancelled from the streaming service? Would it even get notice?

Cancellations for streaming shows are usually announced in the press, so I don't think it will go unnoticed

1 hour ago, Egg McMuffin said:

I think one of the challenges with the AMC/OLTL model was that they didn’t really understand ahead of time that people wouldn’t keep up with the daily episodes (that’s why they quickly moved from four episodes per week to two). And they should have understood that, because that was always the model on broadcast: daily serials are written for people who tune in roughly three times per week. That’s why they move slowly and have so much repetition.

Honestly, Prospect Park was pretty incompetent and I think had never produced daily soaps before, so it's no surprise they were caught by surprise by this. They tried to blame it on viewers who supposedly complained they couldn't keep up, but even if true, I think that was just a cover for their own stupidity

Like others, I'll predict that DOOL will eventually (or later in the year or next year when they catch up with filming) go from daily all year round to maybe a few days a week for a few weeks at a time a few times a year with particular storylines that get wrapped up during those set times, maybe a little like telenovellas. Beyond Salem has done 5 episodes for its first season and 5 for its second nearly a year later, which seems too little for DOOL. If people decide to stream episodes all at once, a small set of episodes with a particular storyline done a few times a year would work really well and probably work for a lot of other people since there's a lot of repetition and treading water in daily shows

• Love 3

Another disappointed Canadian here. Went through the loss of Another World, Guiding Light, and ATWT but now that my life is less busy for not fun reasons, this one hurts in a different way.

I’m paying for cable and rotate streaming services, but my spending needs constant monitoring and adding a monthly cost just for DOOL, is not in the cards. 😪

• Sad 5
  • Love 3

Now that the news has had time to settle in, I too am feeling really sad.  Though I didn't watch for a long time in the early 2000's, I've been a fan since around 1982, and have been watching regularly again since 2014.

I've always known the show would end, likely sooner than later, but I thought it would be announced in advance, and the writers would have time to wrap things up.

This way, fans who don't have Peacock, or don't want to pay to watch their show, will just not get to see it anymore after Sep 9th.   And unless they've known about this for 6+ months and wrote things to cover the change, that Friday show will likely end just like any other Friday show, not like the last show of a 50+ year era. 

I'm cautiously optimistic that Global Canada will continue airing the shows, but won't be surprised if they don't.

Edited by buffynut
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

NBC just lost This Is Us, which is pretty much their last big hit. Things aren't looking that great. The fact that a cable t.v. show is the most popular show on t.v. says it all.

7 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

I wonder if this move will let Ron further his explore his stated desire to have a real three-way love story with Chanel and the twins.

Honestly, I'd be down to see Carson Boatman exploring a bit of man love with Paul. LOL

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Retired at last said:

I wonder if this move will let Ron further his explore his stated desire to have a real three-way love story with Chanel and the twins.

I'd be down for Johnny/Chanel/Trip instead, and ship Allie to where all Hortons go: Africa.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

It isn't dying - it's dead. Nothing on the networks can even capture a 1.0 rating in 18-49s anymore. If it weren't for the backend (VOD, streaming), the networks would have folded already. Now than anything, they continue to exist as a first-look service.

DOOL's key demo is around a 0.2 right now. You can't get much lower than that. At least with viewers playing to watch, demos won't matter.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

It’ll be interesting to see some of the cable networks start to fold. For example, TBS and TNT are now out of the original scripted programming business, and many of the shows they rerun are available on demand elsewhere. They don’t have a much of a reason to exist anymore, except for some live sports here and there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Egg McMuffin said:

It’ll be interesting to see some of the cable networks start to fold. For example, TBS and TNT are now out of the original scripted programming business, and many of the shows they rerun are available on demand elsewhere. They don’t have a much of a reason to exist anymore, except for some live sports here and there.

USA, TNT, and TBS all seem like they're circling the immediate drain. The CW has less of a reason to exist now because it's basically been a content farm for Netflix, but Netflix is doing mostly their own stuff now. Freeform (formerly ABC Family) pretty much has Grown-ish and Good Trouble and that's it. They didn't even get the Pretty Little Liars reboot. I can see it all being pretty much folded into Hulu/Disney Plus.

The CW is desperate enough that they're resorting to trying to reboot the Waltons, which doesn't fit the edgy adult vibe of what they go for, at all.

Peacock might have a fighting chance as a streamer because of Friends and The Office.

• Love 2

'Days of Our Lives' Crew Members 'Shocked' to Learn Soap Is Moving to Peacock, Source Says

By Miguel A. Melendez‍ 9:53 AM PDT, August 4, 2022

Evans Vestal Ward/Peacock/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images

Days of Our Lives moving from NBC exclusively to Peacock after nearly 60 years on the air came as a shock to a lot of people, including the show's crew members.

A source tells ET that some members of the Days of Our Lives production team learned the soap opera was moving to Peacock through media reports and were not told beforehand.

"We suspected this would happen at some point, but just not now," the source says. "This was shocking."

Indeed, the long-running daytime soap had been NBC's longest-running series after 57 years on the air. It had eclipsed more than 14,000 episodes, and just two years ago celebrated its 55th anniversary at NBC. But it's now moving to the network's streaming service, with new episodes dropping Sept. 12. NBC News Daily will replace the soap's time slot.

Chris Haston/NBCU Photo Bank/NBCUniversal via Getty Images

The bold move means NBC is getting out of the soap business, at least on the network side, and it leaves behind only three soaps on network television: The Bold and the Beautiful (CBS), The Young and the Restless (CBS) and General Hospital (ABC).

During its historic run, Days of Our Lives won four Daytime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Daytime Drama, with its last win in 2018. The series has been nominated 26 times in that category and, overall, it has a whopping 372 Emmy nominations.

In a statement, the network billed the move as a win-win for the show's ardent fans of the show and those who want to consume more daytime news.

"For the first time ever, all new episodes of the 58-time Emmy Award-winning drama will debut on Peacock daily with the show's robust library already available to stream for Peacock Premium subscribers," a statement read. "The historic move to Peacock creates the ultimate destination for daytime fans to access the library, new episodes and Peacock Original Days of Our Lives: Beyond Salem in one place."

'Days of Our Lives' Crew Members 'Shocked' to Learn Soap Is Moving to Peacock, Source Says | Entertainment Tonight (etonline.com)

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

USA, TNT, and TBS all seem like they're circling the immediate drain.

USA probably would have been okay had NBC Universal never bought it. It seemed to have its own quirky identity when it was independent. (With USA Up All Night, Silk Stalkings, La Femme Nikita, Duckman, etc. )

Once NBC Universal bought it, it became generic and ran a bunch of shows that could be found on any other channel.

• Love 4

Wait, wait, wait...its "rubust library" is really available..? In full? Dating back to the beginning?

Sigh. I'm so frustrated the staff wasn't informed ahead of time. Not surprised, but frustrated.

And that press release - oh come on. It's a win for the fans? Tell that to Auntie Em and Uncle Henry at the nursing home.

But they gotta spin it somehow.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Wait, wait, wait...its "rubust library" is really available..? In full? Dating back to the beginning?

Just checked Peacock (I already have Premium) and "robust" is a HUGE stretch. "Robust" is...April 2021 through now. (At this moment, anyway.)

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Just checked Peacock (I already have Premium) and "robust" is a HUGE stretch. "Robust" is...April 2021 through now. (At this moment, anyway.)

Yeah, they would have to remove a shit ton of licensed music in order to have episodes from before the 2010's. Some of which was actually sung by cast members. However, I'd be down to see Nick's prison daddy again. That was a riveting storyline.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

I gave up cable in 2020.  I originally signed up for YouTube TV (which is essentially cable but much cheaper) but dropped it when they thought it was a good idea to raise prices 30% in one month because they were now going to include a bunch of channels I never wanted in the first place - as I said, just like the cable companies.  When I gave up YouTube, I was originally watching Days on the NBC app for free.  (Roku users couldn't originally use Peacock until they worked out some revenue agreement.)  After Peacock and Roku worked out an agreement, they then stopped carrying Days on the NBC app - forcing all viewers to go to Peacock - but you could still access it on the free tier.  At the end of the 2021, Peacock ran a promo where you could sign up for Premium for a year for only $30.00.  I did this only because I wanted to watch a couple shows I could only stream on Peacock Premium.  I'm guessing that for at least the near future Peacock will continue to show regular Days on the free tier.  

I agree with all the posters who say this move is going to really cut down on the number of viewers for Days.  I'm a younger boomer and fairly comfortable with technology and it took me a really long time to give up cable and turn to streaming - basically inertia and comfortability with what I was used to.  I can't imagine trying to teach someone who still has cable if their package doesn't include Peacock how to switch input, and stream on their TV - assuming they either have a smart TV with WIFI or a streaming device.  Many people who are not comfortable with technology  won't even know where to start.

I read an article that said it’s on premium just like the spinoff. So $5 a month. I am sick of these established shows switching from package channels to apps that cost way too much money. I liked it better when tv was free! This is all too common, greed. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

DOOL is one of the few pre-1980s soaps with its entire library intact. Most daily shows prior to 1980 re-used their videotapes because they were expensive - not to mention big and bulky to store. And DOOL was in color from day one - the first color daytime soap I believe. I have a copy of episode 1 and it’s pristine-looking.

Would be fun to see those 30 minute episodes from the show’s first decade, perhaps as a companion to RetroTV’s run of The Doctors. I’m not holding my breath, though, because it would cost money to digitize those early shows and I don’t think Sony has any interest in doing that.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

And that press release - oh come on. It's a win for the fans? Tell that to Auntie Em and Uncle Henry at the nursing home.

I mean, they could have just cancelled it altogether. They'd have every right to since soaps are just not as profitable as they once were. But they are trying to see if it can make it on another platform. It is a win. Well, for people who actually enjoy the show lol.

• Love 5

In a statement, the network billed the move as a win-win for the show's ardent fans of the show and those who want to consume more daytime news.

This statement would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.  The network is either utterly out of touch with the show's fans or they wrote this knowing it was the biggest load of bs.  With numerous 24-hour news channels (including the one NBC owns) for the last decade or more, no one is sitting home in the afternoon thinking, "gee I didn't get enough news coverage on NBC today. 4 hours of the Today show just didn't cut it. I wish they'd move Days of our Lives to Peacock so my mental health and wellness can be strained further by constant dissection of politics, wars, and plagues." 

• Love 11
8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Pffft. That's pathetic.

They're celebrating Bope, yet newbies can't watch any part of their love story.

Honestly, if they didn't already announce efforts to digitize the old episodes, they probably never will and don't intend to bother.

Once DOOL is dead officially, are they suddenly going to make 5 decades worth of shows available? Will anyone even ask them to? I doubt it.

I hate false advertising. Robust? More like bust.

• Love 6
On 8/3/2022 at 5:50 PM, Kitty Redstone said:

Yes, I'd love to be able to watch L&O that way.  And Dark Shadows, which I've always heard about but never seen, so that's exciting!

Be forewarned that Dark Shadows was bad, but in a "so bad it's fun to watch" way.  I remember one scene where there was an evil cat that they kept trying to film, but they flashed to where the cat was, and it wasn't where they wanted to film, so you could see some crew member holding the cat in place while they filmed.

• LOL 6
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I mean, they could have just cancelled it altogether. They'd have every right to since soaps are just not as profitable as they once were. But they are trying to see if it can make it on another platform. It is a win. Well, for people who actually enjoy the show lol.

I mean, the writing really was on the wall. I was hoping the plan was that they'd finish out the contract, and then go to the Beyond Salem format, stripped down to favorites like Patch/Kayla and the like. 

I'm getting flashbacks to when Passions moved to DirectTV for their last year or two.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

And who are willing to pay $60 a year for a shit channel. On top of the $ 150 I already pay for spectrum, Netflix, Disney & Hulu. At least they have interesting programming.   I have been watching since 1974 and I think this is going to be it. It really saddens me and turns my stomach but I just don’t know if I’m willing to pay for it, since it would be the only thing I would be watching on this crappy channel. But who knows, maybe I will sign up for a year and the show will be canceled anyway at this point I don’t even really care anymore and I really loved it in the 70s and 80s but it’s just a former shell of itself. ☹️

• Sad 1
  • Love 4