Type keyword(s) to search

Press Conference: The Law & Order Media Thread!

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Not surprising at all, since when the renewal was announced, Anderson said he was only signed up/coming back for one year.

Hopefully, with that in mind the producers have been able to really take their time and can cast a good replacement.

• Love 2

Have there been any regular Asian characters on the Law and Order franchise that were one of the top 3 Law or Order characters?  I know there is BD Wong as the psychiatrist on SVU.

But I would love to see a detective of Asian descent.  It would be especially timely for a show set in New York, with all the marked increase in Asian hate crimes that have occurred in New York over the past several years, particularly against Asian women.

Daniel Dae Kim, Daniel Henney, Steven Yeun, Randall Park, Harry Shum Jr, Maggie Q, Lucy Liu, Constance Wu, Lindsay Price, Li Jun Li.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Have there been any regular Asian characters on the Law and Order franchise that were one of the top 3 Law or Order characters?  I know there is BD Wong as the psychiatrist on SVU.

But I would love to see a detective of Asian descent.  It would be especially timely for a show set in New York, with all the marked increase in Asian hate crimes that have occurred in New York over the past several years, particularly against Asian women.

Daniel Dae Kim, Daniel Henney, Steven Yeun, Randall Park, Harry Shum Jr, Maggie Q, Lucy Liu, Constance Wu, Lindsay Price, Li Jun Li.

SVU also killed off their reoccurring Asian CSU lab tech

Just now, Raja said:

SVU never killed off an Asian CSU guy. They killed off CSU O’Halloran in a stupid episode but he wasn’t Asian. 

17 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Daniel Dae Kim,

Daniel appeared in season 4's "The Golden Years" in a guest role as either a ballistics expert or from the coroner's office. So no reason not to tap him as a different character regular, like they did with Jerry Orbach, and even UGH, the Detective Cassady role with Milena Govich. Even the oh so bland and useless ADA Alexandra Borgia was played by Annie Parisse, who had also previously guest starred as the mistress of the crooked defense attorney/killer in season 12's "Attorney Client."

There was also an Asian actress who was first in the Coroner's office, but then guest starred as a recurring judge.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Raja said:

4 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

SVU never killed off an Asian CSU guy. They killed off CSU O’Halloran in a stupid episode but he wasn’t Asian. 

@Raja, are you thinking of Susie Chang (played by Tina Huang) on Rizzoli & Isles
She was the ME assistant who was killed off.

Welly Yang did play a CSU Tech named Georgie on SVU, but it doesn't seem that he was killed off. He just never came back for Season 5 (lawandorder.fandom.com/wiki/Soulless, imdb.com/name/nm1101161/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t31).

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Raja said:

SVU made Alexandra Eames a Lieutenant about 7 years ago. The other Major Case Squad detectives  besides Logan might be availble to reprise their role

Logan is obviously out, but the remaining CI detectives are/were Megan Wheeler, Serena Stevens, and Zack Nichols. And I don't see Julianne Nichols, Saffron Burrows, or Jeff Goldblum coming back. VDO has expressed interest in revisiting Bobby Goren, but I also don't see him ever agreeing to more than a short run/guest role, so he's also out. (Especially with the recent news of Daredevil being revived, where he has a substantial role as Wilson Fisk.) So new blood is likely on the horizon as far as New Detective goes.

I only pray TPTB take their time when casting and write them with some depth and not be all paint by numbers with a "type".

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

Price is alright, but they need to figure out Maroun. Most of the season it felt like she was just there because there's always someone in that role and not because the character added much. I don't know if that's writing or actress or both, but it'd be nice for the order side of the show to feel more settled too. It pains me a bit to say that since there aren't a lot of female characters on the show, but she's the weak link on that side. 

I actually like her better than Price.  For better or worse, I think they write her POV more consistently than they do Price which is strange given his was the main back story we were given right away. 

I think the actress is comfortable in her role. As good as Hugh Dancy can be as an actor, I don't think he has settled into his role. 

11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Not surprising at all, since when the renewal was announced, Anderson said he was only signed up/coming back for one year.

Except a few months ago he did an interview (or interviews) talking about how much fun he was having and how close Donovan and he had gotten to the point where he was considering extending his run. Definitely not a huge shock but I do think it's a mini-surprise. 

2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

VDO has expressed interest in revisiting Bobby Goren, but I also don't see him ever agreeing to more than a short run/guest role, so he's also out.

Goren is too much of a personality for him to take a more staid role on this version of L&O.  

They need someone who is strong enough to stand up to Frank.  I only saw the first season of L&O: OC but I'm thinking someone like Stabler's boss/partner.  

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

I actually like her better than Price.  For better or worse, I think they write her POV more consistently than they do Price which is strange given his was the main back story we were given right away. 

I think the actress is comfortable in her role. As good as Hugh Dancy can be as an actor, I don't think he has settled into his role. 

Except a few months ago he did an interview (or interviews) talking about how much fun he was having and how close Donovan and he had gotten to the point where he was considering extending his run. Definitely not a huge shock but I do think it's a mini-surprise. 

Goren is too much of a personality for him to take a more staid role on this version of L&O.  

They need someone who is strong enough to stand up to Frank.  I only saw the first season of L&O: OC but I'm thinking someone like Stabler's boss/partner.  

I'm not a mere Sergeant Bell can't work for some Detective squad Lieutenant

IMO, the new, other detective should be young enough and nimble enough to run after perps—
because they almost always run.

If they cast a woman, I hope she looks strong enough to wrestle some of the more feisty perps to the ground. 

• LOL 2

I liked Alicia Witt's portrayal of Nola Falacci on CI so much that I was wishing the actress who played Wheeler would have decided to stay home with child instead of returning to the show. Wheeler was never my favorite character on that show anyway. When she returned it was said that Falacci was off in Quantico training for the FBI so they probably wouldn't bring her back. AW is in her mid 40's now so she might not want to return either.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Logan is obviously out, but the remaining CI detectives are/were Megan Wheeler, Serena Stevens, and Zack Nichols. And I don't see Julianne Nichols, Saffron Burrows, or Jeff Goldblum coming back.

You forgot Falacci and the lady with the radiant smile...um...time out while I go to IMDb...Annabella Sciorra as Barek, Logan's first partner on CI.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You forgot Falacci and the lady with the radiant smile...um...time out while I go to IMDb...Annabella Sciorra as Barek, Logan's first partner on CI.

Ah, I did. Well, Carolyn Barek is now a lieutenant in the Bronx, having done a guest role on SVU last season, so she's out. I think Nola Falacci could bring a spark, but I doubt Alicia Witt would be interested.

• Love 2

Nothing really new, except maybe "Sam Waterston, also had signed a one-year deal for Season 21. It is unclear whether he would return for Season 22. In a promising sign, the veteran actor appeared on stage of NBCUniversal’s upfront, which showcased programming and talent for the upcoming season" (primetimer.com/news/anthony-anderson-law-and-order-season-22-wont-returntvtattle.com/item/Anthony-Anderson-wont-return-for-the-Law-amp-Order-revivals-second-season-k4SQlE, deadline.com/2022/05/law-order-anthony-anderson-exit-season-22-kevin-bernard-1235034237)?

• Love 4

I've been watching Season 2 again. I'm really enjoying Michael Moriarty as Ben Stone. I've read on this board that he went "cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs."  What does that mean? Did he have a nervous breakdown, or did he adopt some radical beliefs? 

Any input would be appreciated.

(edited)
10 minutes ago, Mrs. P. said:

I've been watching Season 2 again. I'm really enjoying Michael Moriarty as Ben Stone. I've read on this board that he went "cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs."  What does that mean? Did he have a nervous breakdown, or did he adopt some radical beliefs? 

Any input would be appreciated.

He got into a public beef with then US Attorney General Janet Reno who he thought was calling for censorship over TV violence and thought Dick Wolf wasn't backing him and the industry up. Moriarty saw a new blacklist coming and went public over the others not willing to fight like he was.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

"Sam Waterston, also had signed a one-year deal for Season 21. It is unclear whether he would return for Season 22. In a promising sign, the veteran actor appeared on stage of NBCUniversal’s upfront, which showcased programming and talent for the upcoming season"

Thanks.  I'm pretty sure he did say that he only signed a year deal in an interview which sounds like how he has operated from the beginning.

I believe Moriarty also had issues with alcohol. 

• Love 2
On 5/27/2022 at 9:43 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Daniel appeared in season 4's "The Golden Years" in a guest role as either a ballistics expert or from the coroner's office. So no reason not to tap him as a different character regular, like they did with Jerry Orbach, and even UGH, the Detective Cassady role with Milena Govich. Even the oh so bland and useless ADA Alexandra Borgia was played by Annie Parisse, who had also previously guest starred as the mistress of the crooked defense attorney/killer in season 12's "Attorney Client."

There was also an Asian actress who was first in the Coroner's office, but then guest starred as a recurring judge.

That would fit with how many guest stars end up in main roles on Law and Order. I didn't realize Anthony Anderson wasn't coming back.  Annabella Sciorra would be a good choice and was a defense lawyer Law & Order Trial By Jury.

41 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Annabella Sciorra would be a good choice and was a defense lawyer Law & Order Trial By Jury.

She guest starred on SVU the season before this past one as her Criminal Intent character, Carolyn Barek. Barek was now a lieutenant in the Bronx SVU, so since that has been established, I don't think it would work.

Others mentioned Alicia Witt and her own CI character, Det. Nola Falacci. But I think she has made a thing of doing Hallmark movies these days, so I doubt she would be interested.

• Useful 1
23 minutes ago, illdoc said:

And ... we have are Anthony Anderson/Kevin Bernard replacement: https://tvline.com/2022/06/13/supergirl-mehcad-brooks-cast-law-order-season-22-nbc/

This portion of the article concerns me. Don't mind it so much on the spinoffs, but this is not what the Mothership has ever been about:

Rick Eid, who also serves as showrunner, previously teased more character-driven stories pending a renewal. “I’m excited about next season,” he told TVLine. “I think next year, we’ll get an opportunity to dig even deeper into the character stuff, which really excites me.”

• Like 2
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

This portion of the article concerns me. Don't mind it so much on the spinoffs, but this is not what the Mothership has ever been about:

Agreed about that portion being concerning - the Mothership is 100% about the cases. Hopefully it stays that way, I know there were complaints about the writing for season 21, but the writers did get the most important part right, and that’s that they stuck to the formula of being case centric with minimal personal stuff.

I hope the new character fits in well.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, roseslg said:

Ed Green was one of my favorites. What is Jesse L. Martin up to?

Not sure what Martin is up to now, I love Ed Green as well, and it would be great if he made a return in the future, although I’m hesitant to wish for any character to return given how they did Jamie Ross in the season 21 premiere, they completely trashed her character just as a plot device, it was pathetic.

I wish L&O would introduce some new recurring characters, maybe we will see some of the same defense lawyers and judges appear, and also ME’s/forensics people, plus we need a new psych expert. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

Not sure what Martin is up to now, I love Ed Green as well, and it would be great if he made a return in the future, although I’m hesitant to wish for any character to return given how they did Jamie Ross in the season 21 premiere, they completely trashed her character just as a plot device, it was pathetic.

I wish L&O would introduce some new recurring characters, maybe we will see some of the same defense lawyers and judges appear, and also ME’s/forensics people, plus we need a new psych expert. 

Like they did with Paul Robinette. As much as I want characters to come bac I'm very nervous about it because they rarely are anything like they were when they were on. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Like they did with Paul Robinette. As much as I want characters to come bac I'm very nervous about it because they rarely are anything like they were when they were on. 

Robinette did a 180 when he came back and yeah he was like a totally different character, but at least they didn’t make him unethical like they did with Jamie, the trashing of Jamie was worse than what they did to Paul. 

• Love 6
On 6/13/2022 at 7:13 PM, Xeliou66 said:

Agreed about that portion being concerning - the Mothership is 100% about the cases. Hopefully it stays that way, I know there were complaints about the writing for season 21, but the writers did get the most important part right, and that’s that they stuck to the formula of being case centric with minimal personal stuff.

I hope the new character fits in well.

If I recall correctly they did delve into stories of character lives for a brief time during the period when Carey Lowell and Benjamin Bratt were part of the ensemble. They didn't do so for long though, they soon went back to the show's tried and true case driven format.

On 6/16/2022 at 5:23 PM, Xeliou66 said:

A new psych person would be fine but I wouldn't mind seeing Carolyn McCormick reprise her old role as Elizabeth Olivet or J.K. Simmons his role as Emil Skoda, even if just for an episode or two.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, watcher1006 said:

If I recall correctly they did delve into stories of character lives for a brief time during the period when Carey Lowell and Benjamin Bratt were part of the ensemble. They didn't do so for long though, they soon went back to the show's tried and true case driven format.

A new psych person would be fine but I wouldn't mind seeing Carolyn McCormick reprise her old role as Elizabeth Olivet or J.K. Simmons his role as Emil Skoda, even if just for an episode or two.

In season 8 they gave several characters a personal subplot (Briscoe’s daughter’s death, Schiff running for re-election, Curtis’ wife illness, McCoy facing the disciplinary committee), that was the only season they had more personal stuff, oh and of course the awful season 6 finale, Aftershock, which was all about personal stuff and was the worst episode ever IMO. But the show has always been about the cases first, and hopefully that remains the same, like I said before there were some legit criticisms of season 21 but they did stick to the classic L&O formula.

I would love to see Olivet or especially Skoda back, Skoda is my favorite psych expert, but JK Simmons has gone on to be a fairly big actor and I doubt he would come back, but it would be awesome if he did. I like Olivet but I’m not sure what the actress is up to now, she did appear as Olivet on SVU a few years ago so she might return. But a new psych expert could give the show some freshness.

Also, I want to see them visit the ME and forensics people more, the detectives only visited the ME in 1 episode last season, I wish they would bring back Rodgers or give us a new recurring ME, and see them visit the forensics lab some. Also start showing some of the same defense attorneys and judges again, they did have the same defense attorney in season 21’s Wicked Game and the season finale Black and Blue so maybe we will get more of that and start seeing some more familiar faces. The strong cast of recurring characters was a big plus during L&O’s original 20 season run. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, illdoc said:

No!! I am not happy about this at all. First of all, I don’t see how they can include OC in the crossover as it has multi-episode arcs and nothing is ever wrapped up in one episode, plus there’s zero courtroom stuff on it, so I would imagine the OC part of the crossover would have to be in hour 1 or hour 2, with it concluding on L&O or SVU. Also, I just don’t like the Mothership crossing over with the other shows, I like a cameo here and there, but not full blown crossovers, because SVU is just not very good anymore and OC is totally different from the other L&O franchise shows. The Mothership has no personal soapy crap which is a big part of what makes it great, while SVU and OC are riddled with personal drama, and I don’t look forward to that. I also don’t look forward to St Olivia probably taking center stage and stinking up all 3 hours with her crap. This isn’t good news, a 3 hour crossover just won’t work well with these 3 shows for the reasons I mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Oh, WHY?!

Because Eid is a MORON, just like that idiot from CI.

He, and Wolf (who’s apparently gone senile) have forgotten what made this show stand out was its ability to stand on its own. But nooooo, Eid had to cut out what made the original run so great, and turn this into some SVU shadow. And he has no excuse-he was on the original from around season 15, I think. 

This is going to be one giant clusterfuck of a dumpster fire.

• Like 1

This is likely a network decision so I don't think it's the fault of any of the show runners--not that they're objecting.  

They've also done crossover episodes before with SVU and Homicide so I don't see this as disrespecting the original vision for the show.  

Don't get me wrong, I hate it.  I could probably handle this and SVU but the OC is a different beast.  It doesn't work with SVU and it will be even worse with L&O.

This was always coming.  They warned us when they rebooted L&O.

• Sad 2
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

This is likely a network decision so I don't think it's the fault of any of the show runners--not that they're objecting.  

They've also done crossover episodes before with SVU and Homicide so I don't see this as disrespecting the original vision for the show.  

Don't get me wrong, I hate it.  I could probably handle this and SVU but the OC is a different beast.  It doesn't work with SVU and it will be even worse with L&O.

I wouldn’t mind crossover episodes if the other shows were high quality or if it could be done naturally - I’m a fan of the FBI shows and I enjoyed their 3 part crossover last season, but this just can’t be done naturally because the shows are so different, particularly OC which does multi-episode arcs, I don’t know how that will fit in. An SVU/L&O crossover could work fine, they’ve done it before with the Mothership season 10/SVU season 1 episode Entitled, but I don’t see how OC can be worked in, and my main objection to having a crossover with SVU is just that Olivia Benson drives me bonkers now and the writing for SVU is pretty dismal much of the time. So I don’t object to all crossovers, but I don’t think this will work well at all.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

I can see the undercovers on OC coming up with a case but when they turn it over to the regular detectives  but wouldn't they know if Special Victims, Major Case in the old days of Criminal Intent, or Homicide should be working it? It was like the poor story decision when introducing Organized Crime that had Captain Benson just taking another unit's case. That would work on The Wire as they tried to palm cases off to others but the L&O had always had the our unit will take it prejudice.

• Love 1

peachcat-boo.gif

I hate crossovers in general because you often miss pieces when they rerun, but here,  nobody needs more screen time for St. Olivia or Ramblin’ Rollins.  They need to be contained within their own show.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

The Homicide crossover was with the mothership, not SVU. I loved those episodes, as it was really interesting to see how two shows with different aesthetics and tones were able to work successfully.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

The Homicide crossover was with the mothership, not SVU. I loved those episodes, as it was really interesting to see how two shows with different aesthetics and tones were able to work successfully.

Ha. I know.  The "they" I was referring to was the mothership as in they [the mothership] have done crossovers with Homicide and SVU.

Not SVU & Homicide--although I really did think they had done a 3 way before but I guess not. 

17 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Ha. I know.  The "they" I was referring to was the mothership as in they [the mothership] have done crossovers with Homicide and SVU.

Not SVU & Homicide--although I really did think they had done a 3 way before but I guess not. 

SVU has done both homicide and 3 ways before. Oh you mean in the crossover sense? In that case then no, they have not. There was a definitive plan and various proposals for such before, but it has never come to fruition at least withing the L&O franchise itself (the less said about the Chicago shows the better).

Homicide Life in the Street ended in May 1999, SVU premiered the following September. Detective Munch having retired from Baltimore Police Department and joining the NYPD being the crossover character. I could have sworn there was a three way crossover with the original, SVU and Criminal Intent