Type keyword(s) to search

Press Conference: The Law & Order Media Thread!

• Start Topic

I don't mind the idea of a crossover but I really don't need Olivia and her drama.  As for OC, that show always stumbles for me when they again, focus on Olivia or the never-ending nightmare that is the Wheatley's and don't get me started on Elliot's family....

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Oh, Lord. The last thing I want is any crossover. Make it stop.

Please, for the love of all things holy, keep St Olivia away from the Mothership!! I do not want ANY crossovers, SVU is a crappy soap fest 95% of the time and everything Benson touches turns to shit, and OC doesn’t even seem like an L&O show with its ongoing story arcs so I’m not sure how they could crossover with it, and it too gets bogged down by family soapy crap and the never ending Wheatley arc. And I’m not even sure how they would crossover since SVU shits on the DA’s office in most of their episodes, and I don’t think the SVU writers would want it pointed out how they’ve trashed the office as a cheap plot device. I am so sick of the St Olivia soap fest that is SVU and I don’t want its garbage spilling onto the Mothership. 

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

This link is almost identical to the one above, but it might work better:

This is the same promo that was posted in the anticipation thread. So, not a new promo, if this is the same one in the link above.

There’s a running joke about his beards are allowed now because of the thick beard Anderson/Bernard is sporting.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

This is the same promo that was posted in the anticipation thread. So, not a new promo, if this is the same one in the link above.

There’s a running joke about his beards are allowed now because of the thick beard Anderson/Bernard is sporting.

I was thinking about that last season when LT Van Buren ordered Lupo and Bernard to shave. But in the past decade I have been seeing beards on uniformed  officers on other NYPD based shows

• Useful 3
6 minutes ago, Raja said:

I was thinking about that last season when LT Van Buren ordered Lupo and Bernard to shave. But in the past decade I have been seeing beards on uniformed  officers on other NYPD based shows

Not the Mothership, of course, but Goren on Criminal Intent sported a beard a little over a decade ago. I thought I read somewhere that rules about beards on police officers were being loosened in real life.

So who knows. I think Anthony Anderson pulls it off well enough, anyway.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

I didn't watch SVU except for less than a handful of shows. I mainly watched the mothership so could someone enlighten me why Olivia Benson is so hated? 

Because that show which was an ensemble about cops who worked in this unit, morphed into a show about Olivia!Olivia!Olivia! The way she broke and bent the laws to suit her personal issues, no way in HELL should she have made it to Captain and running that squad.

But that’s just me. 

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

I didn't watch SVU except for less than a handful of shows. I mainly watched the mothership so could someone enlighten me why Olivia Benson is so hated? 

It's tricky, of course, because she has been paid to stick around on franchise where cast turnover is expected.  So not everyone hates Olivia or MH who plays her. They pay her and they're normally pretty cheap. 

But SVU has always shown more of the personal lives of the cast than the Mothership.  And they've only gotten worse throughout the years.  Olivia wants a child. Olivia adopts. Olivia has a custody fight.  Everyone falls in love with Olivia (literally it feels like everyone, a coworker, a DA, another DA, an ex-IAB officer.)  And she gets to dump them or reject them all.  She's attacked and they keep talking about her assault.  

And then there's what some people perceive to be MK trying to force her  POV into the show as one of the few actors in the franchise with EP credit.  And that POV leads to less interesting twists like a a presumed female victim maybe actually being a villain.  (Think of some great episodes of this franchise where Amanda Peete's character is more involved than we thought or Ellen Pompeo actually being the orchestrator of her mother's murder. There was recently an SVU episode that looked like it was headed that way but nope. )

I do think there has been way too much focus on Olivia.  I don't have an opinion on the second reason as I'm not a regular SVU watcher either.

I am not watching the Super Bowl constantly but every time I've switched, there have been some L&O bumpers showcasing the whole cast.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I’ll explain why I personally have come to loathe the character of Olivia Benson. There are many reasons - the main one being that SVU has become almost entirely about her. She hogs the screen time, she takes center stage in almost every episode, she gets almost all of the storylines, her kid gets a lot of attention and they’ve had a consistent amount of drama surrounding him ever since he was introduced. Also, Olivia can basically do no wrong in the eyes of the writers or any of the characters on the show, hence how me and some others have given her the nickname of “St Olivia” - practically every character on the show has to praise her and tell her how awesome she is, how she is the best at her job, how she is the only one who can fight for justice for victims, they’ve had several characters fall in love with her, including ADA Peter Stone in a particularly infuriating plot. She is never wrong, her instincts and gut is always right, everything else be damned. She is portrayed as an all knowing beacon of light. Also, I think there is no doubt that Mariska has an influence over the show’s writing and uses it to push her own agenda and political views - females are rarely ever guilty of anything and the show just routinely has a heavy handed, clunky political agenda. It makes many episodes very predictable. I feel that the over focus on, and worship of, Benson, plus Mariska’s ego, has greatly weakened the quality of SVU, to the point where the show is more of a soap opera and a vehicle for Mariska to promote herself than it is a crime show. That is why I’ve come to loathe Benson, I haven’t always felt that way, she’s never been a favorite but ever since season 15 or 16 of SVU I’ve come to strongly dislike her. And it’s for those reasons that I want her nowhere near the Mothership, she’s like a goddamn black hole that sucks everyone around her down with her.

• Love 8
59 minutes ago, LizDC said:

My favorite line: "The Mothership is back, Baby!"

Me: giphy.gif

And why THE FUCK are Marishka and Christopher in this promo? Get Thee Away!!!!!!

Sam looks GREAT!

Another Brit to play Executive ADA! Hee!

I guess Camryn, or whoever wrote the script for her to say the show needed a badass Female Alpha, just, what? Forgot about the 16 YEARS with the ultimate Female Alpha known as Lt. Anita Van Buren?😒

It looks and sounds like my Vintage show! And if Donovan's hot temper is what they mean by "rules be damned" I can take it, cuz Mike Logan was quite the hothead.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, LizDC said:

*squee!!!!!!* 

I can’t wait! I honestly keep checking back to make sure I’ve still got it set to record.

Between this and Murdoch Mysteries landing stateside a couple of days later, this is going to be awesome!

As for Camryn and that remark, I prefer to see subtext that of course they need an Alpha female badass because the show got canceled rather than go on without their last one! I know season 20 was S. Epatha Merkerson’s last regardless, but that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

• Love 3

I noticed though, that the promo made a mistake when they had Donovan say that Anderson played Bernard on SVU and then came to the mothership. Then they aired the line about how he was in IAN. EXCEPT his character was another homicide cop named Lucius. Or maybe it was on purpose as a *wink*wink*

• Love 3
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I guess Camryn, or whoever wrote the script for her to say the show needed a badass Female Alpha, just, what? Forgot about the 16 YEARS with the ultimate Female Alpha known as Lt. Anita Van Buren?😒

It looks and sounds like my Vintage show! And if Donovan's hot temper is what they mean by "rules be damned" I can take it, cuz Mike Logan was quite the hothead.

I don't think Camryn was dismissing Anita.  She was just saying that they needed someone to balance out the guys--not that she was the first to fill that role.

And I'm nervous about Donovan's character.  I already want to punch him. I'm also a little nervous about the DA side of things because they're going to be establishing two new characters there which may be tough, especially when they want to highlight their POV.  But Dancy is a good actor so hopefully things will get smoothed out.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

I don't think Camryn was dismissing Anita.  She was just saying that they needed someone to balance out the guys--not that she was the first to fill that role.

And I'm nervous about Donovan's character.  I already want to punch him. I'm also a little nervous about the DA side of things because they're going to be establishing two new characters there which may be tough, especially when they want to highlight their POV.  But Dancy is a good actor so hopefully things will get smoothed out.

Donovan’s character is my biggest worry about the show. He seems like a walking stereotype/cliche of a hot tempered, screw the rules cop. It will get tiresome if he’s like that and Bernard and the Lieutenant have the reign him in all the time.

I think the prosecution side of the show will be fine, yeah it could be a challenge to introduce 2 new prosecutors but I think it will be okay and I look forward to seeing how they interact with Jack, Jack being there will be awesome and will make the show worth watching on its own.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Right. But it came off to me as there hadn't been someone to "reign them in" and I was like, what? Maybe Donovan, because Bernard had Van Buren. Unless they're going to explain that in the past 12 years, Van Buren left, and Bernard and whoever he was partnered with before Donovan, went around "loose" and Donovan is now his new partner. I hope we get explanations for where Lupo, Van Buren, Connie, and Mike went.

And I made a boo-boo. Anderson himself stated Bernard made his first appearance as Bernard on SVU. Did he? I don't remember that. I know his stint on SVU was as a temporary partner for Stabler.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Right. But it came off to me as there hadn't been someone to "reign them in" and I was like, what? Maybe Donovan, because Bernard had Van Buren. Unless they're going to explain that in the past 12 years, Van Buren left, and Bernard and whoever he was partnered with before Donovan, went around "loose" and Donovan is now his new partner. I hope we get explanations for where Lupo, Van Buren, Connie, and Mike went.

And I made a boo-boo. Anderson himself stated Bernard made his first appearance as Bernard on SVU. Did he? I don't remember that. I know his stint on SVU was as a temporary partner for Stabler.

No Bernard was never on SVU, Anderson played a different detective in one episode of SVU, before he was Bernard on L&O. 

• Useful 2
4 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

No Bernard was never on SVU, Anderson played a different detective in one episode of SVU, before he was Bernard on L&O. 

That's what I thought! He was Stabler's temp partner, then he went straight to the mothership. So Anderson can't even keep his character's history straight!🤣

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

4 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That's what I thought! He was Stabler's temp partner, then he went straight to the mothership. So Anderson can't even keep his character's history straight!🤣

That's the writer's job. And ours. Although I am sure he will be set straight by someone as given that they are pretty similar characters and that episdoe was pretty much his audition for a regular role in the franchise they don't want to give the writer's agents a claim that he deserves royalties for Bernard!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, wknt3 said:

That's the writer's job. And ours. Although I am sure he will be set straight by someone as given that they are pretty similar characters and that episdoe was pretty much his audition for a regular role in the franchise they don't want to give the writer's agents a claim that he deserves royalties for Bernard!

I didn’t find his SVU character similar to Bernard - his SVU character was a hothead who bent the rules and got into a physical altercation with Stabler, whereas Bernard was an IAB detective who isn’t a hothead and is pretty by the book. 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

I didn’t find his SVU character similar to Bernard - his SVU character was a hothead who bent the rules and got into a physical altercation with Stabler, whereas Bernard was an IAB detective who isn’t a hothead and is pretty by the book. 

My memory is apparently not much better than AA's. I did not remember the altercation at all or him being much of a hothead!

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Okay, I hate Donovan's character already. STFU about telling the ADA how to do his job, asshole!

I don't like his attitude in that extended trailer either. I'm not really thrilled that both partners are so close in age either.

• Love 1
On 2/16/2022 at 8:29 PM, Xeliou66 said:

...and he likes cupcakes.

I'm amused that Waterston remembered that Jack parts his hair on the left, whereas SW parts his on the right.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, tessaray said:

The long promo had a courtroom scene about 30 seconds in with Dylan Baker sitting at the defendants table. For some reason that made me happy, to see a repeat offender. 

You beat me to it! I hope we also see Judge Bradley. If John Ramsay is still around, would love to see Judge Schrieber.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

I'm getting excited!! Someone calm me down.🤣 Family Guy Reaction GIF

I’m getting really excited as well - can’t wait to have my favorite show ever back with new episodes. I’m a tad nervous as well, just because I want the show it still be high quality, but I think it will be, cannot wait to see Jack McCoy again!!

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

There are a lot of Sam Waterson profiles out there. Just Google his name and you'll find them.  They say about the same thing. 

But one thing that jumped out to me in the NYT Profile is that, like Anthony Anderson, he only signed for one season.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/17/arts/television/sam-waterston-law-and-order.html

I hope they both come back for more than one season, if the show gets renewed for another year. I can’t imagine L&O without Sam/Jack at this point, so I hope he stays with until the end, can’t wait to see him again!!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Door County Cherry said:

But one thing that jumped out to me in the NYT Profile is that, like Anthony Anderson, he only signed for one season.

I think that’s how he did it during the original run - only signing on for one year at a time. 

• Love 3