Type keyword(s) to search

Press Conference: The Law & Order Media Thread!

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Raja said:

I could have sworn there was a three way crossover with the original, SVU and Criminal Intent

Nope.

The mothership had a cross over with Homicide three times, I think. Or maybe two? We had Olivia and Fin and Elliott appear on the mothership, but the episode concluded on SVU, where none of the mothership appeared-the episode with that con woman, who was supposed to be so irresistible, but who I thought was fugly; but the awesome Lynda Carter played her mother; And we had Lennie and Green appear for a nano second on Criminal Intent in "Poison."

11 hours ago, Raja said:

I could have sworn there was a three way crossover with the original, SVU and Criminal Intent

Apparently, from all I have heard and read, Law & Order: Criminal Intent was supposed to be involved in a 3-way event with the Mothership and SVU. The plot supposedly involved terrorism.

CI was originally, if I recall, supposed to debut in mid-September. However, naturally, due to 9/11, everything was in chaos and TV schedules were changed. In the ensuing fallout, the alleged plot line for the proposed crossover was scrapped and CI debuted on the 30th of the month with "One", and the rest is history.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
12 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Nope.

The mothership had a cross over with Homicide three times, I think. Or maybe two? We had Olivia and Fin and Elliott appear on the mothership, but the episode concluded on SVU, where none of the mothership appeared-the episode with that con woman, who was supposed to be so irresistible, but who I thought was fugly; but the awesome Lynda Carter played her mother; And we had Lennie and Green appear for a nano second on Criminal Intent in "Poison."

Yes, the Mothership crossed over with Homicide 3 times. They did a crossover with SVU in season 10 of the Mothership/season 1 of SVU with the episode Entitled, and then in season 16 of the Mothership they did a sort of crossover with SVU where a plot that started on SVU about the mother daughter con artist team concluded on the Mothership episode Flaw, with Benson and Fin appearing on the Mothership, however no Mothership characters appeared on SVU. Also they did a crossover with the short lived Trial By Jury spinoff with the plot of who shot Green in the season 15 episode Tombstone concluded on a TBJ episode, though the case wasn’t connected to the Mothership case.

Many characters have appeared on multiple shows - all of the DA’s have made appearances on SVU - McCoy has appeared 4 times on the show, Branch appeared a bunch, Nora appeared a couple of times and Schiff appeared once, Briscoe/Green made cameos on SVU and CI, Skoda and Olivet have made crossover appearances on both, and ME Rodgers was on CI just as much as she was on the Mothership and she also appeared in a few SVU’s before Warner came along. Various lawyers and judges have also appeared on multiple shows. And of course Cragen was a regular on the Mothership and then SVU, and Logan was a regular on the Mothership and then CI. So there’s a long history of crossovers between the shows, and I don’t object to crossovers, I think it’s kind of cool to have multiple shows in the same universe, but I’m not excited for this upcoming crossover because SVU just isn’t well written usually now and OC is extremely different from any other L&O show in that it does continuing story arcs. I hope they pull it off okay, but I’m not expecting good results. 

24 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Apparently, from all I have heard and read, Law & Order: Criminal Intent was supposed to be involved in a 3-way event with the Mothership and SVU. The plot supposedly involved terrorism.

CI was originally, if I recall, supposed to debut in mid-September. However, naturally, due to 9/11, everything was in chaos and TV schedules were changed. In the ensuing fallout, the alleged plot line for the proposed crossover was scrapped and CI debuted on the 30th of the month with "One", and the rest is history.

Yes they were planning a 3 way crossover with a plot involving terrorism, and then 9/11 happened and they scrapped it, and they never did a 3 way crossover. 

• Love 2

RIP Paul Sorvino/Phil Cerreta. Great actor. Phil is an underrated character IMO, a lot of people seem to think L&O only became great when Lennie came on, but I really like the earlier episodes and Cerreta and Logan were a good detective pairing.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

RIP Paul Sorvino/Phil Cerreta. Great actor. Phil is an underrated character IMO, a lot of people seem to think L&O only became great when Lennie came on, but I really like the earlier episodes and Cerreta and Logan were a good detective pairing.

Lennie will always be #1 for me, but I did like Ceretta, too. Paul Sorvino was a talented man in his own right. May he rest in peace.

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Lennie will always be #1 for me, but I did like Ceretta, too. Paul Sorvino was a talented man in his own right. May he rest in peace.

Lennie will always be my favorite as well - but L&O’s still a great show in the non Lennie years, that’s what I’m saying, I’ve seen some people who say that the show didn’t become great until Lennie came on and stopped being great when he left, and I strongly disagree with that. I think Phil gets kind of overlooked in that he was Logan’s partner right before Lennie, I really enjoy his episodes though and I liked the Cerreta/Logan partnership.

• Like 1
  • Love 11

I did like the Ceretta/Logan pairing, as well as the characters' bond. (Big Daddy, anyone?) Not a dud in the bunch as far as Ceretta episodes go, in my book. Plus, when Mr. Sorvino decided to leave, the best possible replacement came on in the form of Mr. Orbach. RIP Paul Sorvino. 🙏💖

• Love 10
27 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

I did like the Ceretta/Logan pairing, as well as the characters' bond. (Big Daddy, anyone?) Not a dud in the bunch as far as Ceretta episodes go, in my book. Plus, when Mr. Sorvino decided to leave, the best possible replacement came on in the form of Mr. Orbach. RIP Paul Sorvino. 🙏💖

Yeah it was funny how Logan nicknamed Phil “Big Daddy”, I liked that. The Cerreta episodes are really good I agree, I think season 2 may be the most underrated season, just about every episode was stellar.

• Hugs 2
  • Love 7
13 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

Any word on any changes or who will replace Anderson ?

Yes - actor Mehcad Brooks has been cast as the new detective. The rest of the cast is the same.

• Useful 1
On 7/25/2022 at 1:50 PM, Xeliou66 said:

I agree I love Lennie but Phil was a really great character. Season two was one of my favorite seasons. There's so many great episodes.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Yes - actor Mehcad Brooks has been cast as the new detective. The rest of the cast is the same.

Thanks.  Looked up his bio , not familiar with his work but should be interesting.  Still wishing Phillip Winchester could be the DA. 

2 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Don't expect a big "good-bye" to Bernard/AA: https://tvline.com/2022/08/19/law-and-order-season-22-how-is-bernard-leaving-anthony-anderson/ For the record, despite what it says in the link, they do not say how Bernard is leaving in the article.

Yeah it will most likely just be a line or two by Cosgrove or Dixon, that’s how the L&O shows have frequently dealt with characters leaving, just by a brief mention and then they get back to focusing on the storyline. I’m glad they are apparently continuing that, L&O is all about the cases, not personal stories. Bernard probably either got promoted or retired, they will mention it and that’s that. I will miss Bernard though, he was a good character and it was nice having a familiar face on the police side. I hope the new detective played by Mehcad Brooks is a good character, you never know how well a new character will fit in. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Yeah it will most likely just be a line or two by Cosgrove or Dixon, that’s how the L&O shows have frequently dealt with characters leaving, just by a brief mention and then they get back to focusing on the storyline. I’m glad they are apparently continuing that, L&O is all about the cases, not personal stories. Bernard probably either got promoted or retired, they will mention it and that’s that. I will miss Bernard though, he was a good character and it was nice having a familiar face on the police side. I hope the new detective played by Mehcad Brooks is a good character, you never know how well a new character will fit in. 

Agree with all of this. 
I wonder if they might say Bernard is “taking time off for a family matter” to leave the door open for him to come back
Or even something a little retcon-ish like “he’s decided to go back to law school.”

From the article:   

“You get the idea that Cosgrove liked working with him, and then we find out that the character Anthony [Anderson] played has moved on,” he explains.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Agree with all of this. 
I wonder if they might say Bernard is “taking time off for a family matter” to leave the door open for him to come back
Or even something a little retcon-ish like “he’s decided to go back to law school.”

From the article:   

I’m pretty sure Bernard isn’t coming back, so I’m guessing either retirement or a promotion, probably retirement since he’s been a detective for a long time. I’m glad they won’t make a huge deal of it, characters come and go on L&O, the show is all about the cases. I’ll miss Bernard though, glad he came back for season 21 to help get the show running again.

• Like 1
On 7/30/2022 at 5:06 PM, Xeliou66 said:

Nothing against Mehcad Brooks... but I was really hoping that they would cast an actor or actress of Asian descent.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

So they’ve released the synopsis for the premiere 3 hour crossover that will air September 22, the synopsis says “A young girl is shot and Cosgrove teams with Detective Jalen Shaw to track down her killer. Benson and Stabler assist and realize it’s more than a typical homicide. McCoy and Price seek justice against an international crime ring, but complications threaten the case”. The episodes are titled Gimme Shelter.

I’m looking forward to it - I was nervous about doing a crossover but I’m hopeful they’ll pull it off well, since it’s going to be a 3 hour continuous movie and not 3 one hour episodes, and the synopsis sounds interesting. I’m excited for L&O to be back.

• Love 2
On 7/30/2022 at 6:06 PM, Xeliou66 said:

On 8/23/2022 at 3:35 PM, blackwing said:

Nothing against Mehcad Brooks... but I was really hoping that they would cast an actor or actress of Asian descent.

Interesting idea. Although I heard they were conisdering going a whole different direction and combining the classic writing formula with the SVU/CI/OC approach of building the cast around a big name with a much smaller supporting cast. Peacock execs really wanted it, but Dick Wolf had some concerns. Leaked footage online -

Law and Order Audition

• LOL 1
On 8/23/2022 at 12:35 PM, blackwing said:

Well in real politics after losing an ADA and then the Lieutenant TPTB would have to be recast a second role to bring an other than Black identified detective 

32 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Interesting - I figured SVU would be the show to address Roe being overturned/abortion rights in the franchise - I hope the writers handle it well, and don’t botch it terribly like they did in the god awful season 20 episode Dignity. I don’t like the sound of more character stuff and more action, they need to just stick to what L&O does best - investigation and legal drama with minimal character stuff. Hopefully they’ll stick with the formula, else the show would be a disaster, the formula is what makes L&O work, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I’m excited for the new season, and I really hope the new detective is good, I’ll miss Bernard.

On 8/19/2022 at 7:39 PM, Xeliou66 said:

I will miss Bernard though, he was a good character and it was nice having a familiar face on the police side. I

Now we're never going to find out what happened to Lupo, either. They should have done some throwaway line about him going to the FBI...

• LOL 1
45 minutes ago, ML89 said:

Now we're never going to find out what happened to Lupo, either. They should have done some throwaway line about him going to the FBI...

Hey! That's my line! 😆

But all is not lost. Maybe McCoy will drop us a line.😉

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, ML89 said:

They said they're planning to tell us what happened to him in the second episode of the season.

Oof, Roe?  No way.  I am scared.  I want to see them get the basics of an investigation down first.  That has always been more important than ripped from the headlines and their abortion episodes haven't been great. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

They said they're planning to tell us what happened to him in the second episode of the season.

Oof, Roe?  No way.  I am scared.  I want to see them get the basics of an investigation down first.  That has always been more important than ripped from the headlines and their abortion episodes haven't been great. 

They’re planning to tell us what happened to Bernard, not Lupo, in the season’s second episode. We’ll never know where Lupo went.

I’m not overly concerned about the ripped from the headlines stuff, L&O has done that since the very beginning, I just hope it’s pulled off okay - the Mothership has done 3 abortion centric episodes, and I thought Life Choice from season 1 and Progeny from season 5 were pretty good, while season 20’s Dignity was horrid. I’m not sure how these writers will pull it off - I agree that season 21’s writing wasn’t up to the standards of L&O at its best, but I liked it more than a lot of people it seems, and I think the writers may find a better rhythm in season 22. I’m way more nervous about potential personal drama plots than about ripped from the headlines stuff.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, illdoc said:

About Rohm's directing the most recent episode & whether Serena would return: https://tvline.com/2022/11/14/law-and-order-elisabeth-rohm-ada-serena-southerlyn-return-sam-waterston-reunion/

I for one don’t care one way or the other about seeing Serena again - Serena wasn’t that remarkable and came off as whiny many times - while it would be good continuity to see her back as a defense lawyer, they might shit on her as well like they did with Jamie so I’m hesitant to wish for the return of any character. Only I wouldn’t care as much about Serena being crapped on, her feeling sympathy for those pieces of human waste that let their kid get raped in season 13’s Smoke was the worst moment for a main character ever on L&O and really sours me on Serena, along with other instances of whiny behavior.

It is interesting that the actress came back to direct an episode, and I think she’s much better at directing than acting, as others have noted, she was pretty dull and wooden on the show.

• Love 2
On 11/14/2022 at 5:06 PM, Xeliou66 said:

I for one don’t care one way or the other about seeing Serena again - Serena wasn’t that remarkable and came off as whiny many times - while it would be good continuity to see her back as a defense lawyer, they might shit on her as well like they did with Jamie so I’m hesitant to wish for the return of any character. Only I wouldn’t care as much about Serena being crapped on, her feeling sympathy for those pieces of human waste that let their kid get raped in season 13’s Smoke was the worst moment for a main character ever on L&O and really sours me on Serena, along with other instances of whiny behavior.

It is interesting that the actress came back to direct an episode, and I think she’s much better at directing than acting, as others have noted, she was pretty dull and wooden on the show.

Same here. I disliked the character in her first season because of her whining but really hated her in season thirteen when she had sympathy for those shitty parents. There is no coming back from that. 

• Love 1

Every year at this time, TCM (Turner Classic Movies) has its TCM Remembers retrospective of those that have died in the past year.

If you're interested, here is this year's. I mention this because Paul Sorvino (Phil Ceretta) is among those listed:

• Sad 3
  • Love 1

In case you missed it, NBC released a Law & Order Monopoly this month.

Wolf Entertainment - “Law & Order” Monopoly Game and Calendar Now Available

And I just got mine! But gotta say, I'm disappointed in the character representation.

Baltic Avenue - Kate Dixon
Mediterranean Avenue - Frank Cosgrove
Oriental Avenue - Serena Southerlyn
Vermont Avenue - George Huang
Connecticut Avenue - Alex Eames
St. Charles Place - Kevin Bernard
States Avenue - Dominick Carisi
Virginia Avenue - Claire Kincaid
St. James Place - Don Cragen
Tennessee Avenue - Phil Ceretta
New York Avenue - Paul Robinette
Kentucky Avenue - Abbie Carmichael
Indiana Avenue - Ben Stone
Illinois Avenue - Rey Curtis
Atlantic Avenue - Amanda Rollins
Ventnor Avenue - John Munch
Marvin Gardens - Fin Tutola
Pacific Avenue - Robert Goren
North Carolina Avenue - Lennie Briscoe
Pennsylvania Avenue - Elliott Stabler
Park Place - Jack McCoy
Boardwalk - Olivia Benson

Biggest snubs have to be Van Buren and Green. No way should Cosgrove and Dixon have been there when L.T. and Ed are not. Not surprised by the Mike Logan/Chris Noth erasure. I would have bumped Ben Stone for Adam Schiff.

Also, Benson - not Briscoe - as Boardwalk?!?!?!?

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95249ectsl814bf2nt07f

Edited by TakomaSnark
  • Like 7
  • Useful 2
33 minutes ago, TakomaSnark said:

Biggest snubs have to be Van Buren and Green. No way should Cosgrove and Dixon have been there when L.T. and Ed are not. Not surprised by the Mike Logan/Chris Noth erasure. I would have bumped Ben Stone for Adam Schiff.

Those subs are awful. The Boardwalk designation peeved me off too and I had to do a double take at who got Oriental Avenue.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Those subs are awful. The Boardwalk designation peeved me off too and I had to do a double take at who got Oriental Avenue.

They should have just done standalone versions for the Mothership and SVU. There's no shortage of people who would have bought both but people like me, who prefer OG, would have been much more satisfied with the cast representation.

I also am surprised that they translated 'streets, railroads and utilities' into 'Iconic Characters, Vehicles and Confidential Informants & Jury Pool.' I would have gone with Police & Prosecutors, Iconic Landmarks and Defendants. Who gets excited over police vehicles? But ignoring noteworthy places in-universe and New York seems like a big miss.

I'll have to flip through the 'Community Chest' and 'Chance' cards (can't remember what they were rebranded as) to see if there's one that says, 'Elliott Stabler beats you to a pulp outside your apartment. Go directly to jail.'

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
1 hour ago, TakomaSnark said:

And I just got mine! But gotta say, I'm disappointed in the character representation.
Park Place - Jack McCoy

The NBC Store page you linked says:

When you play the Monopoly Law and Order Board Game, you'll take on the roles of NYPD homicide detectives partnering with Lennie Brisco to crack cases! As you make your way around the board using the six custom collectible tokens -- a brief case, flashlight, gavel, handcuffs, magnifying glass, and walkie talkie -- you'll encounter investigation and prosecution cards, and be asked to pay fees for being an expert witness or police pension contribution. With so many twists and turns, this board game is sure to keep everyone on their toes - just like a real life investigation!

So is this👆 just bogus ad copy?
They did misspell (or at least made a typo in) Lennie's last name. 
Or does the character of Lennie Briscoe actually some how figure into the game play?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Applause 1
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

The NBC Store page you linked says:

So is this👆 just bogus ad copy?
They did misspell (or at least made a typo in) Lennie's last name. 
Or does the character of Lennie Briscoe actually some how figure into the game play?

I haven't played *yet* (literally just ripped it out of the packaging) but there's absolutely nothing that pairs any player with Lennie. It's standard Monopoly rules/play filtered through a board and accessories representing L&O characters and legal structures. As even the instructions emphasize, 'Remember: Your aim is not to just to get rich. To win, you must make every other player BANKRUPT.'

So not really like a 'real life investigation!' - though I guess if you consider that a good defense can bankrupt someone, it's not total b.s. 

• Thanks 2
9 minutes ago, TakomaSnark said:

I haven't played *yet* (literally just ripped it out of the packaging) but there's absolutely nothing that pairs any player with Lennie. It's standard Monopoly rules/play filtered through a board and accessories representing L&O characters and legal structures. As even the instructions emphasize, 'Remember: Your aim is not to just to get rich. To win, you must make every other player BANKRUPT.'

So not really like a 'real life investigation!' - though I guess if you consider that a good defense can bankrupt someone, it's not total b.s. 

Sounds like a genuine L&O aficionado on Etsy could do better and hopefully will. 
Thanks for this info about the NBC-sanctioned "Law & Order Monopoly Board Game"  and any other review that you might care to share.

And wow:

9 minutes ago, TakomaSnark said:

the instructions emphasize, 'Remember: Your aim is not to just to get rich. To win, you must make every other player BANKRUPT.'

Shouldn't it be something like:

• Remember: Your aim is not to just to get rich. To win, you must bring about JUSTICE. 

Or:

• Remember: Your aim is not to just to get rich. To win, you must bring about LAW & ORDER.
Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And wow:

Shouldn't it be something like:

• Remember: Your aim is not to just to get rich. To win, you must bring about JUSTICE. 

Or:

• Remember: Your aim is not to just to get rich. To win, you must bring about LAW & ORDER.

That would have been far more in-line with keeping to the theme!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

To be fair, Lennie is at least a stop on the board:

B014C80C-675C-43E4-B4F4-3EE8BC3777BC.jpeg.1883010fc6c17e5ab378585272403ba1.jpeg
Is he worth $300??
They better not be saying he'd take a bribe!😡

That he's valued less than Stabler... STABLER!!!!

*punches wall, Stabler-style*

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
5 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

Park Place - Jack McCoy

As one who was a fan of mainly the Mothership and Criminal Intent (I watch(ed) SVU, but the two previous are/were my favorites!) - and am glad the latter is still remembered - I do think there should have been three different versions instead of a franchise mishmash.

But it is what it is...

• Like 2
5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

As taken from the SVU forum's Media thread: Every detective in the Law & Order franchise * ranked:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ranked-every-law-order-detective-214603713.html?a20_comeback_from_auth=1

*Except this person/these people completely forgot Max Greevey and Phil Ceretta.

I disagree with where they ranked Olivia and Curtis. But that's probbly my personal ranking. I'd put them further down the list. Olivia should have been fired years ago and I just can't stand Curtis. I'd put Munch higher because he cracks me up.

• Like 2