Type keyword(s) to search

Press Conference: The Law & Order Media Thread!

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, mattie0808 said:

Is TNT still showing L&O? For the last few weeks, it hasn’t been on the times I usually watch - 5 & 6 AM Mon-Fri, mornings until maybe noon or 1 on Saturday and Sunday. I miss it!

I believed that the WE ads announcing that they were now the home of all the seasons of L&O was them picking up the seasons they didn't have after TNT didn't renew their deal. Not only have they not shown any episodes lately, but it is no longer listed on the web page with their other dramas. It's all part of their plan to cancel everything I watch on the network - just waiting for the announcement that they are dropping the NBA for a younger, edgier sport with lower ratings, but fewer old people watching...

• Love 2

The one thing I loved about TNT is that they never censored anything, it’s absurd the level of censorship WE does for certain episodes, although I haven’t noticed it on the later episodes that WE just got the rights to, so maybe it’s just something that’s part of the package for earlier episodes. I find it hilarious that WE and Sundance censor certain words and sexually suggestive dialogue but then WE airs ads for trashy, vulgar reality shows as soon as they go to commercial and Sundance shows R rated movies all the time. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Enigma X said:

UGH! I  preferred getting my Law and Order fix from a network other than WE. The advertsisements for the other crappy shows on that network is not worth watching for me.

Honestly, I think the Mothership, L&O: CI, Monk, and CSI: Miami are used to finance the trash. And Lord knows there's a lot of it.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

The one thing I loved about TNT is that they never censored anything, it’s absurd the level of censorship WE does for certain episodes, although I haven’t noticed it on the later episodes that WE just got the rights to, so maybe it’s just something that’s part of the package for earlier episodes. I find it hilarious that WE and Sundance censor certain words and sexually suggestive dialogue but then WE airs ads for trashy, vulgar reality shows as soon as they go to commercial and Sundance shows R rated movies all the time. 

Ironically enough I was actually watching one of the WE episodes as I was reading this thread and just as I was reading your post the new promo of really crass Dick Wolf name jokes came on! I really hope there is some kind of petty contractual language reason why all of the networks other than TNT seem to have gotten the broadcast syndication cuts and that maybe now that TNT had dropped the show things might change (although I doubt that anybody at the networks or NBCUniversal cares enough to do anything about it.) I really doubt that it's an active decision by the networks since I don't think WE has any broadcast standards and the bleeps actually go against the Sundance brand. The only network I can see caring about it is ION given its PAX TV roots, as far astray from them as they have gone over the years.

• Love 3

I've been watching Sundance's marathon today while going about my morning (I love a lazy Sunday with small chores and L&O as my soundtrack), and I haven't noticed any censorship or bleeps.  Am I just missing them?  I don't recall actually ever hearing them on Sundance, but then it's sort of TV comfort food and I'm not always really paying attention.

• Love 1

It’s funny because I’ve never noticed any censorship of ION Mothership episodes, but WE and Sundance both do it some. I wonder if it has to do with the package of the episodes, since Sundance only shows seasons 1-12 and the only censored episodes I’ve seen on WE are from seasons 1-12, while ION only shows seasons 13-20. 

I have been watching Sundance this morning as well and I haven’t noticed any censorship. 

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

The only network I can see caring about it is ION given its PAX TV roots, as far astray from them as they have gone over the years.

Except they never censored any of the “damns, ass, hells, godamns” on Psych. Plus I don’t recall any censorship on this channel.

14 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

It’s funny because I’ve never noticed any censorship of ION Mothership episodes, but WE and Sundance both do it some. I wonder if it has to do with the package of the episodes, since Sundance only shows seasons 1-12 and the only censored episodes I’ve seen on WE are from seasons 1-12, while ION only shows seasons 13-20. 

I have been watching Sundance this morning as well and I haven’t noticed any censorship. 

Sundance used to censor words like “crap”, “crapper,” “ass”, “dyke” and the N word. There was one Mothership episode “Good Girl that had Jennifer Esposito call the victim that word and all other networks except for TNT bleeped or silenced it. It is an offensive word, but censoring it took away some of the power for a lack of a better word, from the scene.

• Love 1

Censorship really detracts from the episodes, it is extremely distracting and takes away from the episode, and yes when they censor racial slurs it’s no longer as powerful or disturbing. It’s funny because they are radically inconsistent about censoring slurs, for example “f*****” was censored in Deceit but it wasn’t censored in Pride when it was used several times. 

The worst case of censorship ever is in Fools for Love because it actually takes away from the plot : they censor the word “douche” when ME Rodgers uses it in the technical sense, saying that the killer used a douche to clean up and remove his semen from the victims. It is beyond outrageous to censor that since it’s important to the plot, without it you don’t know how the killer didn’t leave behind DNA. 

• Love 5

While it will be interesting to have the show back - and I’m really hoping they can get Sam Waterston back, that would go a long way in making sure the show is high quality, I’m very nervous when I read that it will likely crossover with SVU - that is a terrible sign, SVU is crap now and they’ve disgraced the franchise by shitting on the DA’s office, and I really don’t want St Olivia and her crap on the new L&O show. I’m not happy about the show being revived to be honest, simply because I loved how it ended originally and I don’t want to see it’s quality go down the drain the way SVU has.

• Love 2

The excitement NBC is expressing concerning the crossovers has me worried too. I'm not sure what to think of the revival being ready to start airing already by next Febuary when it wasn't that long ago that we even found out about it. We only know about one definite cast member so far and he's someone who was in a couple episodes of the previous run. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don’t think Merkerson will be back because she had decided to leave the show before it was cancelled. That “article” has nothing new except for a lot of hot hair and bait and switch stuff.

The good news is I hear that she will be making some guest appearances. The bad news? They will be as her Chicago Med character during the regular crossovers...

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, wknt3 said:

The good news is I hear that she will be making some guest appearances. The bad news? They will be as her Chicago Med character during the regular crossovers...

wait is this serious?

4 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Apparently, however, AA will only be in one season.

I doubt if it lasts beyond a season.

If the original writers were on board with this revival, I'd be more optimistic. There's no David Black, Michael Chernuchin, RENE BALCER!, Michael Duggan, Robert Palm...

• Love 1

Nice to get Bernard back, at least this revival will have one familiar face!! Now I hope to god they get Sam Waterston/Jack McCoy back, I’m nervous about what the DA’s office will look like given how much SVU has shit on it, but if Jack’s in charge I know things will be good. 

One season feels about right for Anthony.  I do think he's more accustomed to being more of a prominent figure after Blackish.  For instance, he was lead in Blackish.  And he is EP.  And he does a game show where he's an EP.  I'm guessing he'd prefer to continue to have more of a say creatively in his future projects than he'd get on L&O traditionally.

But he still did really love the show so it doesn't surprise me that he'd come back for the back end of the season since filming will not overlap with Blackish nor would it interfere with filming a pilot for next season. 

• Love 2

In the following article, Anthony Anderson says he starts filming on Wednesday.   We should hear about the rest of the cast soon.  We only have half of the normal regulars.

https://www.etonline.com/anthony-anderson-wants-to-have-fun-in-the-dramatic-space-with-law-order-return-exclusive-176197

ETA:  That article was posted Monday.  That means filming has started today!  Which makes it even stranger we haven't heard about the rest of the cast.

But also...yay!  It's really happening. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

In the following article, Anthony Anderson says he starts filming on Wednesday.   We should hear about the rest of the cast soon.  We only have half of the normal regulars.

https://www.etonline.com/anthony-anderson-wants-to-have-fun-in-the-dramatic-space-with-law-order-return-exclusive-176197

ETA:  That article was posted Monday.  That means filming has started today!  Which makes it even stranger we haven't heard about the rest of the cast.

But also...yay!  It's really happening. 

Really strange that we haven’t heard about the rest of the cast.

I am still very nervous about this - while it has the potential to be really good, it could also be a huge disaster, especially if they constantly try to tie it in to SVU. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Really strange that we haven’t heard about the rest of the cast.

I am still very nervous about this - while it has the potential to be really good, it could also be a huge disaster, especially if they constantly try to tie it in to SVU. 

I also don't understand why all the secrecy about the casting.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd be a lot more optimistic if Rene Balcer was heading this, along with all the other names I posted in the other thread.

And I continue to resent all the clips and images of SVU in the IMDb site for THIS show, instead of the cast from THIS show.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

A picture from the first day of shooting for Season 21!

Awesome!! I guess Bernard’s still a detective and is partnered with Jeffrey Donovan’s character. I wonder who their boss will be? It’s really bizarre to me that only half of the cast has been announced. 

1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I like the choice.  She certainly has the presence and gravitas to be a lieutenant.  I also really liked her on The Practice. 

Absolutely! I love Camryn! She's also appeared twice on the mothership. Once as a defense attorney who represented the deaf guy who was first arrested for killing the victim, and then in Season 4's "Nurture" as the lazy uncaring person who pretty much treated her "friend's" daughter like a slave.

Now let's get the Order portion and find out who they've cast.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I like the choice.  She certainly has the presence and gravitas to be a lieutenant.  I also really liked her on The Practice. 

Camryn Manheim also played the hated LAPD Deputy Chief Winnie Davis on Major Crimes. More Ellenor less Winnie for LT Dixon

• Love 4

So we know the police side of the show now, and I think it will be good. My big question is who the prosecutors will be, and how the hell are they going to have a stable and upstanding DA’s office given what SVU has done in crapping on the office. It’s also curious to me how they haven’t announced the whole cast yet. I really, really hope Jack McCoy comes back, but since it hasn’t been announced yet I’m losing hope.

8 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

given what SVU has done in crapping on the office

I’ll pretend the SVU world doesn’t exist. I gave up on the Olivia Benson Hour years ago.

According to that Deadline article on Manheim, Sam Waterston is in negotiations to return.  Hugh Dancy has already been cast as an ADA.  So we might just be waiting for one more name. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

So we know the police side of the show now, and I think it will be good. My big question is who the prosecutors will be, and how the hell are they going to have a stable and upstanding DA’s office given what SVU has done in crapping on the office. It’s also curious to me how they haven’t announced the whole cast yet. I really, really hope Jack McCoy comes back, but since it hasn’t been announced yet I’m losing hope.

I believe the already-announced Hugh Dancy will be an ADA or EADA. The only real question on that end is if Sam Waterston/Jack McCoy returns or not. And Hugh Dancy is married to Claire Danes, who played the young girl/wannabe model perp in the episode, "Skin Deep", all the way back in 1992.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

I like the Manheim casting as well.  I can't believe Waterston is still in negotiations.   That feels quite long.

I wonder if they're going to go with a name for the ADA as well.

Well, as Sam Waterston (I think?) is just coming off Grace and Frankie, maybe he wanted a little break or has an issue about how much he'd work, etc., since he is older now, hence the negotiations. But I could be way off base, too!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, LizDC said:

ADA #2…

Never heard of this actress, but she is definitely the ADA "type" with the dark hair/eyes most of the women had. I wonder how old she is, though? She almost looks too young. But as I said before, new blood never hurts, so I'll reserve judgment 'til I see her in action.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Never heard of this actress, but she is definitely the ADA "type" with the dark hair/eyes most of the women had. I wonder how old she is, though? She almost looks too young. But as I said before, new blood never hurts, so I'll reserve judgment 'til I see her in action.

I don't think Odelya Halevi will be the A.D.A., because the Deadline article that mentions her says Hugh Dancy is getting that role. Maybe she'll be a detective?
ETA: Oops! There are 2 A.D.A.s, and she is one of them.
But speaking of too-young looking female A.D.A.s, Annie Parisse, Alana De La Garza, Angie Harmon, and Jill Hennessy were all in their 20s when they were cast.

Anyway, Odelya Halevi played a psychopathic homewrecker in Why Women Kill, which is/was a great show.

Edited by shapeshifter