Type keyword(s) to search

Press Conference: The Law & Order Media Thread!

• Start Topic

On 12/19/2021 at 8:00 PM, balmz said:

found this out yesterday......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Anderson#Rape_and_sexual_assault_allegations

this is rather disturbing to say the least, also puts the character's comments about abortion and rape in that one episode in a different light, think it was called dignified or something 

surprised he is returning if this kind of thing has been alleged for years

Thank you for posting!

I really wish Jesse L. Martin or somebody else got the role instead.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Sam Waterston is supposed to be on Colbert tonight in about half an hour, or stream later.

Thanks for the heads up! Since his Friday shows are usually pretaped, I usually don't watch them but I will watch this interview!!!

• Love 1

Sam is charming as always! But sorry, Sam, the new courtroom is NOTHING like the original. Maybe Jack’s office and the squad room is. 

Ahh, so they destroyed everything from the original and are now filming in a smaller studio in Brooklyn, whereas the original was on the West side.

And Boo, that Stephen didn’t bring up how he appeared as a killer on Criminal Intent and didn’t ask if maybe he could appear on the revival!

Whaaaat?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4
57 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Sam is charming as always! But sorry, Sam, the new courtroom is NOTHING like the original. Maybe Jack’s office and the squad room is. 

Ahh, so they destroyed everything from the original and are now filing in a smaller studio in Brooklyn, whereas the original was on the West side.

And Boo, that Stephen didn’t bring up how he appeared as a killer on Criminal Intent and didn’t ask if maybe he could appear on the revival!

Whaaaat?

I wonder which Brooklyn studio. It's not the NBC studio where Another World filmed, or was it torn down? Does SVU still tape at Chelsea Piers?

I’m putting this here since the anticipation thread is now locked. I checked IMDb and it turns out that Dylan Baker (who we saw in one of the promos) isn’t playing a new character, but reprising the character we met in “Darwinian” and it looks like he played that character in two more episodes after that. I’m blanking on if he was a lawyer, but that might be the case?

He shows up in episode three.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I’m putting this here since the anticipation thread is now locked. I checked IMDb and it turns out that Dylan Baker (who we saw in one of the promos) isn’t playing a new character, but reprising the character we met in “Darwinism” and it looks like he played that character in two more episodes after that. I’m blanking on if he was a lawyer, but that might be the case?

He shows up in episode three.

Depending upon whether reading IMDb, Wikipedia, Fandom.com, Rotten Tomatoes, or Titan TV:   

• It might be episode 2 (with episode 3 being “Filtered Life”)
  • And episode 2 may be titled either “Impossible Dream” or “Free Speech.”  
  • And Dylan Baker will be playing Defense Attorney Sanford Rems ——or is it now “Remz”?

But in the past, Dylan Baker was Defense Attorney Sanford Rems in: 

• 14.11 Darwinian

• 15.10 Enemy 

• 16.20 Kingmaker

• Useful 3
On 2/28/2022 at 4:45 AM, shapeshifter said:

Depending upon whether reading IMDb, Wikipedia, Fandom.com, Rotten Tomatoes, or Titan TV:   

• It might be episode 2 (with episode 3 being “Filtered Life”)
  • And episode 2 may be titled either “Impossible Dream” or “Free Speech.”  
  • And Dylan Baker will be playing Defense Attorney Sanford Rems ——or is it now “Remz”?

But in the past, Dylan Baker was Defense Attorney Sanford Rems in: 

• 14.11 Darwinian

• 15.10 Enemy 

• 16.20 Kingmaker

This just in:

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Prairie Rose said:

Hugh Dancy (EADA Nolan Price) was a guest on Seth Meyers last night: 
https://youtu.be/Gmcm3YD4Lsk

Thanks for sharing, @Prairie Rose! That was very enjoyable!
Seth is a great interviewer, and Hugh Dancy was a great interviewee too.
I loved the bit about how since all the NYC stage actors have appeared on L&O that there's talk about how Dick Wolf should get a Tony. 😆
I know they were just kidding, but I wish Seth could get a bit part on L&O.
But Seth's so well-known at this point, he'd have to play himself unless maybe they dressed him up with a long beard etc. and had him be a homeless guy who finds the body.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Thanks for sharing, @Prairie Rose! That was very enjoyable!
Seth is a great interviewer, and Hugh Dancy was a great interviewee too.
I loved the bit about how since all the NYC stage actors have appeared on L&O that there's talk about how Dick Wolf should get a Tony. 😆
I know they were just kidding, but I wish Seth could get a bit part on L&O.
But Seth's so well-known at this point, he'd have to play himself unless maybe they dressed him up with a long beard etc. and had him be a homeless guy who finds the body.

You're welcome! My favorite part was when they mentioned Mr. Dancy's wife Claire Danes making her acting debut on the show (S3E1 "Skin Deep"). The proud husband gleefully proclaimed, "she was the murderer!"

• Love 4

Oh no!! I’ve got terrible news for everyone - Olivia Benson is appearing in the Mothership season finale. I nearly threw up when I read that news, I do not want her shit stinking up this show, I just hope her appearance is minor and doesn’t involve the L&O characters falling to their knees worshipping her. Apparently the case will involve the shooting of an off duty cop and Bernard and Cosgrove will need to talk to Benson for some reason. 

36 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Oh no!! I’ve got terrible news for everyone - Olivia Benson is appearing in the Mothership season finale. I nearly threw up when I read that news, I do not want her shit stinking up this show, I just hope her appearance is minor and doesn’t involve the L&O characters falling to their knees worshipping her. Apparently the case will involve the shooting of an off duty cop and Bernard and Cosgrove will need to talk to Benson for some reason. 

I have always liked Marisa H. But I have not watched SVU since Kragen left; because the show is now a soap opera; the law and order that the show is based on is no more. And shallow section of the pool: Mariska is a beautiful woman. But whoever styles her for the show does her no favors- the long hair, parted down the middle, with beachy waves. Just like all the Hallmark Movie Debs. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I have always liked Marisa H. But I have not watched SVU since Kragen left; because the show is now a soap opera; the law and order that the show is based on is no more. And shallow section of the pool: Mariska is a beautiful woman. But whoever styles her for the show does her no favors- the long hair, parted down the middle, with beachy waves. Just like all the Hallmark Movie Debs. 

Agreed SVU is a soap opera now, and it focuses way too much on Benson and her personal life and she dominates the screen time and she’s never wrong about anything - it’s really tiresome. I’ve never been a huge Mariska Hargitay fan either, it seems like when she became a producer of SVU everything started revolving around Benson. She is an attractive woman who’s much more attractive in real life than she is on SVU. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

https://tvline.com/2022/04/29/law-order-mariska-hargitay-season-21-season-finale-benson/

This is the part (my bold) that makes me want to throw up (from the above article): Showrunner Rick Eid has confirmed to TVLine that Mariska Hargitay is set to appear as the beloved captain in the May 19 episode (NBC, 8/7c)

Beloved captain??? She wore out her welcome at least a decade ago!!! 😠

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

Awesome!! I’m loving having the show back and I hope next year the writing hits its stride better with a full season and the characters having been introduced. I hope this means all 6 main characters return, particularly Jack, Jack McCoy/Sam Waterston is the face of the show. 

• Love 5
(edited)
15 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Great news.  I know many have complaints about the revival and compare it to the past, but to me, any iteration of the original L&O is still better than most of what is currently airing.

Question... in all the years of this show, I think there has only ever been one female detective.  Curious as to why.  Is it because Anita Van Buren occupied the Lieutenant's seat for so long?  

I think it would have been great if Camryn Mannheim's character had been one of the senior detectives, and Jeffrey Donovan in the LT role.  But given that this isn't the direction they chose, I do hope they at least give her more to do next season.  I've liked her ever since "The Practice".

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

Great news.  I know many have complaints about the revival and compare it to the past, but to me, any iteration of the original L&O is still better than most of what is currently airing.

Not if the writing sucks. And for me, it sucked BIG TIME, so I'm not happy. But, that's me. I don't begrudge those that are thrilled.

Question... in all the years of this show, I think there has only ever been one female detective.  Curious as to why.  Is it because Anita Van Buren occupied the Lieutenant's seat for so long?  

No. Because Cassady and her portrayer, just SUCKED. Clearly, they couldn't find another woman who was up to the task. Whatevers.

I think it would have been great if Camryn Mannheim's character had been one of the senior detectives,

Well, she made two guest appearances during the first four seasons. First time was in season 3? where she played a defense attorney, representing a deaf person accused of killing the victim; and then as the sleazy, lazy ass "friend" who took in her daughter in season 4, but treated said kid as a slave. Sorry, I'm blanking on the names.

But I wouldn't have minded if she had been brought back to play a detective.

• Love 2

I'm happy to hear that the L&O reboot has been renewed. Overall the cases/plots may not reach the level the original show did in its heyday and I'm still reserving judgement about the characters aside from veteran Sam Waterston. Yet I find myself watching it with a sense of nostalgia. It's great to see the old format (for the most part) and remember how dramatic TV was written decades ago.

I was also put off to see Mariska Hargitay being featured in the season finale. Make no mistake, I like her and I know her heart is in the right place with her outreach efforts. But the show doesn't need her "star power". The original L&O distinguished itself by not being a star vehicle for any one actor and by building itself around the plots. I gave up L&O SVU several years ago because with the departures of Dann Florek and other actors the show evolved to center too much on the Olivia Benson character and away from being a true ensemble act.

• Love 6
(edited)

I totally remember the two episodes Mr. Donovan was in ("Jeopardy", S6 and "Good Faith", S17) before he became a regular, but I didn't realize that it was him. Loved his imitation of Anthony Anderson at the end of the interview!!!

Edited by Prairie Rose
  • Love 3

That’s too bad that Anderson/Bernard isn’t returning, I’ve always liked Bernard and I feel like the chemistry on the police side had really hit its stride, the Bernard/Cosgrove partnership had become solid. I’m not sure how Cosgrove will do with a new partner, I hope they don’t pair him with someone young and inexperienced. I hate that they will have to bring in a new character instead of just being able to focus on the cases.

I really, really hope Sam returns for another year, I don’t think I want to watch an L&O without Sam/Jack. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I was surprised by the news but I hadn’t read ahead of time about his one-year contract so maybe this is what he always planned??  Ditto — I’ve always liked Bernard / Anderson.

If we’re going OG Law & Order, I’d joyfully welcome back Jesse L Martin or Kathryn Erbe to partner up with Jeffrey Donovan.  I’m sure those are long shots, but one can wish.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 4

Interesting.  It sounded like he had such a fun time that he was considering sticking around.  I do think the cop unit is solid so it's not a great shake up.  The getting-to-know-you stuff they always felt they needed to have play out between the cops is irritating because it's always the same. An episode or two of tension and then they usually end up respecting one another.  

They tend to skip that on the legal side. 

Sam's probably going to drag his feet again.  Or come back for a few episodes to get written off.  I wonder if Anderson will come back for an exit story.  

I'm curious to see who will be replacing Anderson.  I think a younger detective would be nice.  It doesn't need to be super young but 30-something would be nice.  

Or maybe they could bring in one of the cops from SVU who appear every now and then but aren't regular members of the squad.  For instance, I've enjoyed Detective Khaldun when I've seen him. 

• Love 2

Is Dean Winters still doing the Mayhem schtick? Cassidy from SVU can always team up with Cosgrove! He seems to be liked enough since he also played a different character on Criminal Intent (one shot) after that role...

I am sorry that Anthony Anderson is not returning, though.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Is Dean Winters still doing the Mayhem schtick? Cassidy from SVU can always team up with Cosgrove! He seems to be liked enough since he also played a different character on Criminal Intent (one shot) after that role...

I do like him but that's basically two white men in their mid fifties. Donovan is 54.  Dean is 57. I don't see that happening. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Door County Cherry said:

I do like him but that's basically two white men in their mid fifties. Donovan is 54.  Dean is 57. I don't see that happening. 

Ah. I didn't realize both were in their 50s. Yeah, then it probably won't happen. (Please let it not be some uber-young wet-behind-the-ears detective, though. I'd love to avoid that trope if at all possible. Especially since Maroun strikes me as that type on the prosecution side and is hit or miss for me!)

Hey! The "other" Cassady [yes, slightly different spelling, but still!], Nina, can always come back!

*Screams at the barrage of rotten tomatoes hitting me* (In all seriousness, I doubt she will, since Milena Govich seems more into directing now, having directed an episode of this show this season, FBI (another Dick Wolf show), and the current version of The Equalizer.)

• Love 3

I had hoped for at least another season of Bernard, since the law side of the show had finally settled into its groove with the characters. I wonder who will replace him. 

I hope Sam comes back. I don't think it would feel the same without him, even if it is in a limited capacity. Price is alright, but they need to figure out Maroun. Most of the season it felt like she was just there because there's always someone in that role and not because the character added much. I don't know if that's writing or actress or both, but it'd be nice for the order side of the show to feel more settled too. It pains me a bit to say that since there aren't a lot of female characters on the show, but she's the weak link on that side. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I was surprised by the news but I hadn’t read ahead of time about his one-year contract so maybe this is what he always planned??  Ditto — I’ve always liked Bernard / Anderson.

If we’re going OG Law & Order, I’d joyfully welcome back Jesse L Martin or Kathryn Erbe to partner up with Jeffrey Donovan.  I’m sure those are long shots, but one can wish.

SVU made Alexandra Eames a Lieutenant about 7 years ago. The other Major Case Squad detectives  besides Logan might be availble to reprise their role

• Love 2
8 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Not surprising at all, since when the renewal was announced, Anderson said he was only signed up/coming back for one year.

• Useful 1