Type keyword(s) to search

Press Conference: The Law & Order Media Thread!

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

As taken from the SVU forum's Media thread: Every detective in the Law & Order franchise * ranked:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ranked-every-law-order-detective-214603713.html?a20_comeback_from_auth=1

*Except this person/these people completely forgot Max Greevey and Phil Ceretta.

Yes, but although their only role on the show as far as plot was concerned was as investigators Greevey and Ceretta were never Detectives, only Sergeants during their tenure with the series. So to our list compiler I say -

tctbkoc.jpg

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, roseslg said:

How the F did they rank Rey over Ed Green? Rigged I say!

That made me kind of mad too. Green was much easier to watch and enjoy as a character compared to Rey. I didn't hate Rey although I have always wondered how much dating Julia Roberts while on the show and getting her to guest star helped with his character's popularity. In reruns Rey doesn't bother me quite as much as he did back then. His attitude and demeanor overall is still annoying though. I also remember thinking that they seemed to love torturing his mostly offscreen wife in terms of having to put up with illness and his behavior. I felt worse for her then I did him having to deal with it all.

• Like 4

How in the BLUEDILLY FUCK does that sanctamonious, judgemental asshole Rey Curtis get put in the top 5?! and Cassady and Imperioli's character too? BLECH.

Aside from the actor's real life issues, I'm glad Logan made the top 10.

Bratt's relationship with Julia ended in his last year on the show. Or right after she got the Oscar.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

How in the BLUEDILLY FUCK does that sanctamonious, judgemental asshole Rey Curtis get put in the top 5?! and Cassady and Imperioli's character too? BLECH.

Aside from the actor's real life issues, I'm glad Logan made the top 10.

Bratt's relationship with Julia ended in his last year on the show. Or right after she got the Oscar.

Your reaction to the Rey ranking in that list was similar to mine. I toned it down a bit when posting though...😄

Imperioli worked my nerves most of the time. I was never a Sopranos watcher so I always wondered if he and his character on there acted similarly. I was really glad there never seemed to be any attempt to make him a long term character once Green returned. Fontana and Falco together were a bit much and it was kind of weird having Fontana be the voice of reason between them.

Logan should be in the top 10. I just hate that knowing about Chris's awful behavior off set makes it harder to enjoy watching a character who used to be one of my favorites.

• Like 6

I’m happy the show has been renewed, I’m enjoying the revival more than most it seems and I’m hopeful they’ll get a better grip on the legal writing next season. I’ve liked the majority of the episodes overall this season. I hope all of the main cast returns for season 23. 

NBC "spoils" L&O finale: May 18

Spoiler

“Open Wounds”
When a senator is gunned down at his daughter’s wedding, McCoy pushes for a severe sentence and squares up against a formidable defense attorney — his own daughter. Price aims to stay neutral but can’t help but empathize with the defendant over a shared trauma.

• Like 1
On 4/10/2023 at 12:52 PM, Xeliou66 said:

I’m happy the show has been renewed, I’m enjoying the revival more than most it seems and I’m hopeful they’ll get a better grip on the legal writing next season. I’ve liked the majority of the episodes overall this season. I hope all of the main cast returns for season 23. 

I agree with the sentiments but if Maroun and/or Price were replaced, I wouldn't cry myself to sleep at night.  Cosgrove and Shaw are a nice team, and definitely keep Lt. Kate

On 4/28/2023 at 11:53 AM, illdoc said:

NBC "spoils" L&O finale: May 18

Reveal spoiler

“Open Wounds”
When a senator is gunned down at his daughter’s wedding, McCoy pushes for a severe sentence and squares up against a formidable defense attorney — his own daughter. Price aims to stay neutral but can’t help but empathize with the defendant over a shared trauma.

Holding out on seeing the Reveal Spoiler.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I agree with the sentiments but if Maroun and/or Price were replaced, I wouldn't cry myself to sleep at night.  Cosgrove and Shaw are a nice team, and definitely keep Lt. Kate

Holding out on seeing the Reveal Spoiler.

I agree that I like Cosgrove/Shaw/Dixon more than Price/Maroun, I don’t have any real issues with Price/Maroun, they are just very low key, and the issues are with how they write the legal portion sometimes makes the DAs look unprepared or there’s some flaw with the writing. I hope they get that worked out next season. I really hope Jack McCoy returns for season 23, he adds a very stabilizing presence to the legal side and is a legendary character.

• Like 3

Didn't see a forum for L&O: Los Angeles but just learned the entire season  is on Freevee, if anyone is interested. I don't think I've seen more than a couple of episodes, so I might check it out.

• Thanks 1

Another franchise's show I watch ended their season leaving the possibility of a change of focus towards  what another franchise member that had been cancelled does. I am speculating it is being done to use rejected scripts from the cancelled show on the newer show post strike.

In this case I am sure a lot of Criminal Intent passed on scripts can get a treatment to fill some NBC hours in lieu of more America's Got Talent. I would ask just let Eames continue to rise in ranks and be the Captain and not busted down to partner for nostalgia sake

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Raja said:

Another franchise's show I watch ended their season leaving the possibility of a change of focus towards  what another franchise member that had been cancelled does. I am speculating it is being done to use rejected scripts from the cancelled show on the newer show post strike.

In this case I am sure a lot of Criminal Intent passed on scripts can get a treatment to fill some NBC hours in lieu of more America's Got Talent. I would ask just let Eames continue to rise in ranks and be the Captain and not busted down to partner for nostalgia sake

Actually, Kathryn Erbe's Twitter account in the article also expressed a desire to return with VDO. Not saying anything will come of it, but if both express a desire to return, and based on the reaction to the article, there is real interest, TPTB could probably conceive of something where G/E interact again.

And unfortunately, the later part of the franchise tends to ignore details if it is convenient, so...anything goes, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 6/1/2023 at 9:56 AM, illdoc said:

Not L&O: Mothership, but L&O Universe: https://tvline.com/2023/06/01/law-and-order-criminal-intent-reboot-season-11-vincent-donofrio/

I'm thinking...since L&O: OC only has 13 episodes next (mid) season, how about they alternate: CI in Fall (not this fall, of course), OC in Spring, 13 episodes each, every year.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hated what the last show runner did to Bobby. The show was best the first four years, then really good with the return of Mike Logan (SHUT UP! Don't judge me!), but it did Bobby DIRTY. I will never forgive Warren the asshat.

Unless it's Rene Balcer writing, I'm not fucking interested.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

With the recent talk of VDO wanting a CI revival, this franchise news seems a bit ironic.

But Canada has apparently greenlit (greenlighted?) Law & Order: Criminal Intent: Toronto.

So another international cog of the franchise wheel...

Just came here to see if there was more info on this than the CityTV tweet. I was also wondering if it was a bit of a lark but it being in The Hollywood Reporter saying it's actually linked to the franchise... I'll reserve judgement.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Door County Cherry said:

Show me the US streaming site where I can find it!

That was my thought. I don't think Canada is affected by the Writers' Strike, as it has its own writers and talent. Based on the article, it should debut in 2024.

I do hope there will be a way for those of us in the states to watch it!

• Like 1
On 5/30/2023 at 9:42 AM, TakomaSnark said:

Didn't see a forum for L&O: Los Angeles but just learned the entire season  is on Freevee, if anyone is interested. I don't think I've seen more than a couple of episodes, so I might check it out.

Since almost every other L&O show has a thread or forum, I have created a thread for Law & Order: Los Angeles, should anyone want to discuss it since it is now streaming.

• Thanks 2
  • Useful 1

A Variety article on the new spinoff says there is not yet anyone cast, but apparently, Spring 2024 is when this is supposed to begin.

There is also speculation [nothing concrete] of whether this Canadian branch will branch out and crossover with its American counterparts or if it will remain its own entity...

• Useful 1

Since news of this spinoff was originally posted here, I figured I'd post an update:

TV Line has an article with a photo of the main actors/cast of Law & Order Toronto: Criminal Intent. Seems Kathleen Munroe is Canadian but had guest starred on both FBI and Law & Order: Organized Crime, so she should know how Dick Wolf shows go.

The male lead is actor Aden Young from Rectify.

Per a Variety article, international distribution is being shopped this week:

As the series preps for a Spring 2024 debut on Citytv, it’s eyeing international buyers at this week’s MIPCOM.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
11 minutes ago, TakomaSnark said:

This is a bummer. I disliked Cosgrove at the start but he grew on me a lot over time and I thought he was really good last season, and I really liked his chemistry with Shaw. The detective side of the show was really good last season, and I think it’s stupid of them to write out Cosgrove - why mess with what was working so well? If they wanted to get rid of a character, get rid of Maroun or Price, Maroun is bland most of the time, and Price can come off as overly soft. It’s the legal side that needed a shake up, not the detective side, which was working well. I hope they bring in a good new character but I don’t have much confidence in the writers - but they did do a good job with Shaw last year so maybe they’ll do a good job with his new partner.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, Xeliou66 said:

This is a bummer. I disliked Cosgrove at the start but he grew on me a lot over time and I thought he was really good last season, and I really liked his chemistry with Shaw. The detective side of the show was really good last season, and I think it’s stupid of them to write out Cosgrove - why mess with what was working so well? If they wanted to get rid of a character, get rid of Maroun or Price, Maroun is bland most of the time, and Price can come off as overly soft. It’s the legal side that needed a shake up, not the detective side, which was working well. I hope they bring in a good new character but I don’t have much confidence in the writers - but they did do a good job with Shaw last year so maybe they’ll do a good job with his new partner.

Absolutely agree. The detective side was finally working so let's change it up? The legal side is what needs the overhaul.

And the writer's room!

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, ML89 said:

Absolutely agree. The detective side was finally working so let's change it up? The legal side is what needs the overhaul.

And the writer's room!

Yeah it’s stupid to get rid of one of the people on the side of the show that was working well - it’s the legal side that needs improvement. Hopefully the writers improve the legal side this season the way they improved the detective side last season, but I don’t have a lot of confidence in these writers, and writing out Cosgrove isn’t a good move and makes me think the writers don’t know what’s best for the show.

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Like 3
  • Fire 2
24 minutes ago, TakomaSnark said:

Why not both!

I don’t hate them like some do, I think it was more the writing of the cases that had weaknesses when it got to the legal stuff rather than the characters, most of the time, but I wouldn’t mind a complete shake up on the legal side - Price/Maroun are very low key and don’t do a lot to keep viewers attention. Regardless, getting rid of Price and or Maroun would’ve been a much better choice than getting rid of Cosgrove, who had come into his own as a good character last season. I hope they don’t kill Frank off. 

• Like 6
30 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

The cop side of the show was so enjoyable last season.   This frustrates me.  It's like they've identified something is wrong but misidentified the cause.

I would get it after the first season but the combo of old school cop and lawyer partner worked well.  All three had great chem.

Agreed - if they had gotten rid of Frank after season 21 I would’ve been fine, he wasn’t that likable in season 21 and the police side needed a change, but in season 22 they did a great job with it by bringing in Shaw, fleshing out Cosgrove, and that side was very good last year. It’s a dumb move to write out Cosgrove now, especially since I’m not sure how the writers will do bringing in a new character, and the police side wasn’t in need of fixing, it’s the legal side that needs fixing - so if a character needs to go it’s Price or Maroun. I’m nervous about season 23 now, because I’m worried the police side will regress now and nothing will be done to improve the legal stuff.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Yeah, this definitely - based on phrasing - was not Donovan's decision. Like many here, I wasn't fond of Cosgrove at his start, but he grew on me.

I think this is a mistake.

As mentioned, it seems the DA characters are the two not exactly setting the show on fire these days. The wrong things are being "fixed", IMO.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I don’t hate them like some do, I think it was more the writing of the cases that had weaknesses when it got to the legal stuff rather than the characters, most of the time, but I wouldn’t mind a complete shake up on the legal side - Price/Maroun are very low key and don’t do a lot to keep viewers attention. Regardless, getting rid of Price and or Maroun would’ve been a much better choice than getting rid of Cosgrove, who had come into his own as a good character last season. I hope they don’t kill Frank off. 

If I had to pick, I'd say Maroun goes but the writing for both is abysmal. I tip the scale to her, though, because the writing has shown her to be incompetent multiple times and while I can't really stand Price either, his flaws as a character are not as glaring (though I'm really not enamored with what Hugh Dancy does with him, either).

Cosgrove has grown on me too, I thought he and Shaw had developed a compelling dynamic. It does seem weird that Donovan was pushed out.  I'm sure in time we'll get some behind-the-scenes crumbs as to why.

I do wonder with Brooks filming Mortal Kombat 2 what that means for production. 

But please, find some OG writers willing to come back and take control of the scripts. It's criminal that Camryn Manheim is given so little to work with.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

While I stopped watching after the third? fourth? episode of the 21st season, I've been lurking here.

I detest Eid, and this show is such a pale imitation of what it was during its initial run, warts and all.

Ahem.

That said, this casting news isn't unusual. To Whit:

• Dzundza left after the first season (his choice; he thought the show would be in Vancouver, but ended up staying in NY)
  • Sorvino (RIP, I still miss Paulieeee), left early in the third, because NY's cold weather was affecting his voice--he sang opera
  • Cragen-Gone after the third season--learned later network/brass was "told" to add women, hence the departure of Paul and Cragen
  • Noth-well, he was let go after five years (I'm still unsure-money? He was asking for more? "creative differences"? He was brought back 10 years later, reprising his role on Criminal Intent
  • Bratt-who cares? Good Riddance
  • Brooks-his departure never addressed. Pissed me off. I LOVED Paul!
  • Hennessy-less said the better about her departure. Wasn't sure if it was her choice or not
  • Lowell-left after two season (her choice-young child)
  • Harmon-left after three seasons to never be seen again even though Abbie was in the U.S. Attorney's office
  • Rohmbot-lasted waaaay past expiration date (Let go? I don't know/remember. Don't care, even if it had the most HILARIOUS line that came out of f'ng NOWHERE)
  • Nora-gone after two years-Good Riddance (even if I love the actress, she was a poor fit)
  • Borgia-less than a year
  • Cassady-Good RIDDANCE after one season (Let go? Or left on her own?

The only characters to stay long term were Adam Schiff (THE BESTEST), Foghorn Leghorn, Van Buren, Jack, Green, and Lennie.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That said, this casting news isn't unusual. To Whit:

I think anyone who is watching in S22 knows about the casting changes of the past.  It's not the casting changes that's upsetting. 

It's the fact that they happened on the cop side which is the side that the show figured out and improved upon from S21 to S22.  Those characters worked.  Had they gotten rid of someone on the legal side, I think those changes would have been welcomed because those characters aren't really working yet. 

If you look at the cast changes of the past, they rarely boot the characters that are working.  Hennessey definitely chose to leave and asked to have her character killed off so she wouldn't be tempted to return.  The only three characters that might not apply to is Noth (and I think that was a combination of Noth being notoriously prickly and rumors he wanted more money) and Cragen and Paul due to a need to appeal to a broader audience.  That was more of an NBC decision than a TPTB decision. 

But with all the other boots, there was something not working about either the actor or the writers didn't quite find the character.  

Maybe there's more to the story but right now, even I'm surprised by how much I still hate that he's leaving.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

I think anyone who is watching in S22 knows about the casting changes of the past.  It's not the casting changes that's upsetting. 

It's the fact that they happened on the cop side which is the side that the show figured out and improved upon from S21 to S22.  Those characters worked.  Had they gotten rid of someone on the legal side, I think those changes would have been welcomed because those characters aren't really working yet. 

If you look at the cast changes of the past, they rarely boot the characters that are working.  Hennessey definitely chose to leave and asked to have her character killed off so she wouldn't be tempted to return.  The only three characters that might not apply to is Noth (and I think that was a combination of Noth being notoriously prickly and rumors he wanted more money) and Cragen and Paul due to a need to appeal to a broader audience.  That was more of an NBC decision than a TPTB decision. 

But with all the other boots, there was something not working about either the actor or the writers didn't quite find the character.  

Maybe there's more to the story but right now, even I'm surprised by how much I still hate that he's leaving.  

100% agreed with this post. It was a bonehead move to boot out Cosgrove as the detective side of the show was working very well, it was really good in season 22, it’s the legal side that needs improvement as Price/Maroun just aren’t clicking as well. Really dumb to get rid of one of the characters from the side that is working well. It makes me think the writers are clueless as to how to improve the show. I’m concerned that whoever they bring in won’t work out well and will screw up the police side while nothing will be done to improve the legal side. The only thing giving me slight hope is that Shaw has been a great addition so I’m hoping his new partner will be good as well but I have no confidence in the writers ability to improve the show or bring in a good new character. I didn’t think I would say it after the bad start Cosgrove got off to, but I’ll really miss him and I’m disappointed we only got 1 season of the Cosgrove/Shaw partnership, they had great chemistry.

• Like 7

L&O Season 23 is scheduled to premiere January 18 - they announced it today. I look forward to it. They had better find someone to replace Cosgrove quick because they’ll have to start filming soon in order to get to air in January.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 11/15/2023 at 4:42 PM, shapeshifter said:

"…sources close to the show tell us that Donovan was let go for creative reasons."

Yeah unless there is a big casting surprise coming I am thinking that this is spin. Some combination of trying to hide the stupid reasons for the decision and trying to make sure that it is known this isn't about any sort of misconduct.

On 11/15/2023 at 4:53 PM, Xeliou66 said:

On 11/15/2023 at 4:55 PM, ML89 said:

And the writer's room!

I think the writing is the problem more than the acting. Although sometimes replacing characters can be part of rethinking the writing and coming up with a new dynamic.

On 11/16/2023 at 11:14 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

While I stopped watching after the third? fourth? episode of the 21st season, I've been lurking here.

I detest Eid, and this show is such a pale imitation of what it was during its initial run, warts and all.

I really doubt the problems are Eid's fault except that he's willing to put his name on a product he damn well knows is not up to the standards of what he wrote for the original run. There is less time per episode, lower budgets, and I get a strong vibe that there are some network execs trying to "modernize" the show in ways that are not helpful. Plus in the modern television landscape I suspect that many of the mid and low level writers who would have previously been working on the legal side are being exploited by the prestige shows on streaming in the hope of getting a deal for their own series instead of making more money putting up with Dick Wolf's bullcrap in the hope of becoming a showrunner for a highly rated, but unhip procedural and then getting a deal for their own series.

• Like 2