Type keyword(s) to search

Suicide Squad (2016)

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

On 8/11/2016 at 1:30 PM, Lantern7 said:

Speaking of Waller . . . has there been major criticism that Viola Davis didn't look like a "Wall"?

Ever since the New 52, Waller has been more, ahem, conventionally built.  Most depictions of her these days make her look more than a little like Michelle Obama.

Which is a shame, because as much as I like Viola, and Angela Bassett (who played her in Green Lantern), and Pam Grier (who played her on Smallville), and Cynthia Addai-Robinson (who played her on Arrow), not a single one of them can hold a candle to CCH Pounder voicing her for Justice League Unlimited, and in two direct-to-video released Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, and Assault on Arkham (which is probably a better Suicide Squad movie to boot).  Frankly, I would have much rather they have her do it in live action.  Viola is about the only actress that would be an acceptable substitute.

• Love 3

We saw it yesterday afternoon (in 3D!) and enjoyed it, although I don't know why movies are so LOUD now-a-days. I liked Leto's Joker and wanted to see him and Harley in their own movie b/c I wanted to know more about them. I didn't like June Moon and her relationship with Rick Flagg fell flat to me. I should have realized as soon as I saw Slipknot, who had never been mentioned before, was a going to be a red shirt and get his head blown off.

• Love 4
On 8/12/2016 at 2:53 PM, starri said:

Ever since the New 52, Waller has been more, ahem, conventionally built.  Most depictions of her these days make her look more than a little like Michelle Obama.

Which is a shame, because as much as I like Viola, and Angela Bassett (who played her in Green Lantern), and Pam Grier (who played her on Smallville), and Cynthia Addai-Robinson (who played her on Arrow), not a single one of them can hold a candle to CCH Pounder voicing her for Justice League Unlimited, and in two direct-to-video released Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, and Assault on Arkham (which is probably a better Suicide Squad movie to boot).  Frankly, I would have much rather they have her do it in live action.  Viola is about the only actress that would be an acceptable substitute.

People say that, and I do get where they are coming from since her Waller vocal acting was so good, but I DO think it worth noting that while Pounder is not exactly skinny, she doesn't really look like classic comic book Waller either. So we'd be taking away that great voice, but we'd still be adjusting to a different look. I'd do it even still, but I'd also hope people's expectations included knowing that aspect.

There are probably at least a few African-American actresses out there who are the right size (or at least enough in the direction to look sort of like classic Waller), but I don't know if that magic combination of size, proper age and that menacing presence exists. 

• Love 1

Pounder is the closest fit I've ever seen for the combination of appearance and presence. Hell, she basically played a Waller doppelganger in Warehouse 13 for years. I hope she was offered the chance to reprise her role and just wasn't interested, but Viola Davis struck me as a very good substitute. Would that the writing for the character lived up to her performance.

Overall I enjoyed the movie, and the parts I'd been bracing myself to hate (Leto's Joker and Delevigne's Enchantress) didn't actually bother me. My big issues were Waller being written as having such poor judgment/lack of foresight and being willing to murder innocent people to cover her ass, and Flagg being way too sensitive and driven by personal issues. But the performances and action were enough fun to mostly overlook that in the moment.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And Mark Hamill as Joker AND ❤️❤️❤️KEVINFUCKING CONROY❤️❤️❤️ as Batman.

No arguments from me! But they've always been given their props - I rarely see much CCH Pounder recognition.  Way back at the beginning of the thread, I wrote my wish of her being cast in the live action role. I've not seen the film, so I'm glad Davis was well-received. Still, for me, Pounder is the standard, just like Clancy Brown was for the voice of Luthor. But then, I've always thought that comics translate so much better to animation with strong voice actors than live action, and that's where DC excelled for so many years. But I get it - you miss the coveted demo in the theatre with animation.           

• Love 1
On 8/12/2016 at 0:34 PM, darkestboy said:

I actually liked that Eminem song during that scene and Gangsta during the chemical wedding scene as well.

The soundtrack was touch & go for me.  The songs did fit the scenes so I guess it served it's purpose.  I personally don't like that particular song by Eminem but that's just personal opinion. 

On 8/11/2016 at 11:55 PM, MarkHB said:

It wasn't even CPR, was it?  I thought it was just mouth-to-mouth.

I took it as CPR and then Harley doing a classic make out scene.  It seemed like something she would do so it fit.  Batman punched her, Slipknot hit a female guard because she was annoying or had it coming or something like that, enh as a female myself it didn't bother me.

On 8/11/2016 at 1:30 PM, Lantern7 said:

This made me laugh. Hard. Shit like that is why I try to see genre movies ASAP. Seriously, the band would have proved more effective.

LoL that is funny.  I don't read the comics of SS so IDK if Slipknot has a bigger part but a guy that can climb anything....well so what.  You have people that can outrun an elevator apparently.

Newest trailer for Injustice 2, featuring Harley and Deadshot.

Not to nitpick, but Floyd wouldn't bother with a knife. On the other hand, when was the last time Harley had hyenas? Also, I wouldn't be shocked if Katana and/or Croc make the game.

For me it felt like the right cast with the wrong story.  Most of the squad were street level people, talented, well-equipped humans, but not much more.  Even KIller Croc is still in the "humanism" category.  It was odd and slightly silly to see these people going against a threat that would be a credible challenge to Superman.

I feel like the story changed somehow.  I figure the original story was something like the Joker unleashing something and the Squad has to take him out, like "the bad must deal with the worst" with Harley's presence being necessary because she understands the Joker.

As is the presence of Harley Quinn and Boomerang makes little sense in this situation, especially since Waller and Flag know what they're facing.  What exactly is the logic behind bringing a crazy girl with a pistol and a baseball bat or a dude with boomerangs?

• Love 3

I didn't hate this movie, but I did find it odd. While watching the exposition at the beginning, I turned to my sister and said, "they are so lucky Viola Davis is awesome at spouting exposition." 

The storytelling felt disjointed and incomplete (why did we get no background on Slipknot and Katana)? 

By the time Diablo was referring to the rest of the Squad as family, I was like "Huh? When did that happen?"

Just a confusing movie-going experience all around.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, johntfs said:

As is the presence of Harley Quinn and Boomerang makes little sense in this situation, especially since Waller and Flag know what they're facing.  What exactly is the logic behind bringing a crazy girl with a pistol and a baseball bat or a dude with boomerangs?

Boomerang has been a constant of the comics Squad since the first run in the 80's (he's such an intolerable ass in the comics I swear Waller was just hoping he'd give her an excuse).  Harley... they probably just wanted to get her established since she has become one of their most popular characters in other media (comics and, especially, games).

• Love 1
4 hours ago, MarkHB said:

Boomerang has been a constant of the comics Squad since the first run in the 80's (he's such an intolerable ass in the comics I swear Waller was just hoping he'd give her an excuse).  Harley... they probably just wanted to get her established since she has become one of their most popular characters in other media (comics and, especially, games).

I'm not arguing against their placement on the Squad.  They fit in quite well there.  My problem was with the nature and power of their opposition.  Consider a similar story featuring the film version of the Avengers.  Loki and the Abomination have captured Nick Fury and the Avengers assemble a team to rescue him and defeat the kidnappers.  That team will composed of Ant-man, Black Widow, Captain America, the Falcon, Hawkeye and Spider-man.  Those are all Avengers (or at least associates), but does this team seem like they could credibly defeat their immensely potent opposition?

• Love 2

The fact that Incubus could be taken out by a shaped charge placed in a tunnel underneath him that didn't also vaporize the squad members about 50 feet away made me wonder why the US military couldn't have just aimed howitzer shells or surface-to-air missiles at the Tiki Twins from miles away and pounded at them until they were nothing but the ghosts of bad CGI.

If the movie had established they could only be killed by magic and made Katana's sword a much bigger part of the plan, it would have made a lot more sense.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 3
On 8/17/2016 at 8:57 PM, johntfs said:

For me it felt like the right cast with the wrong story.  Most of the squad were street level people, talented, well-equipped humans, but not much more.  Even KIller Croc is still in the "humanism" category.  It was odd and slightly silly to see these people going against a threat that would be a credible challenge to Superman.

I feel like the story changed somehow.  I figure the original story was something like the Joker unleashing something and the Squad has to take him out, like "the bad must deal with the worst" with Harley's presence being necessary because she understands the Joker.

I think you banged it on the head.

This story would have been better served with a "human" threat, like Ajax in Deadpool.

I still cringe when I think about the gyrating Cara Delevigne.

• Love 2

I kind of liked Cara gyrating as the Enchantress.  She reminded me a lot of the First Slayer in BtVS.  She was beautiful in an ancient, inhuman way that worked for me.  She was okay as Flag's lover, the possessed archeologist, but that character, the usual weepy, whiny, damsel-in-distress was ultimately boring and conventional.  

Just saw this today. I walked out extremely confused. Very meh, definitely a mess. I was nicer than my friend, who straight up called it trash. We used gold tickets, and she was happy we didn't spend any real money on it. 

So many things that were perplexing and made little sense that I just don't want to go through the task of listing them. A lot of them have been listed already. Went home and watched clips from Winter Soldier to cleanse my palate. Thought of more things that didn't make sense. Just ugh. 

It wasn't all terrible though. Viola Davis as Amanda Waller was great. Waller was such a ruthless bitch. Ike Barinholtz (Morgan!) was another highlight. I felt bad for Joker's assistant who probably didn't expect "machine gun operator" to be part of his job description. Katana seemed badass and I wanted to know more about her. But the 20 sec character promo for her was basically everything she did in the movie. Can she have a solo movie? Rick Flagg can tag along to be the chatty one. They could pit it against Ghost in the Shell and brag that they got an actual asian actress to play an asian character. Just saying...

Also did they kill off Scott Eastwood's character? 

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 2
On 8/21/2016 at 2:05 AM, JustaPerson said:

Also did they kill off Scott Eastwood's character? 

Literally the question I was coming to ask. I think he does because wouldn't he be directly beside the bomb as it blows?

One would think, but that bomb was strong enough to blow its way up through concrete and who knows how much earth between the plaza and the sewer underneath, yet harm only the two people standing directly above it while leaving others 50 feet away untouched. There's no telling what kind of comic book physics governed the blast wave underground. (Killer Croc got back topside without being significantly hurt by it, didn't he?)

On 8/17/2016 at 9:59 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

I didn't hate this movie, but I did find it odd. While watching the exposition at the beginning, I turned to my sister and said, "they are so lucky Viola Davis is awesome at spouting exposition." 

The storytelling felt disjointed and incomplete (why did we get no background on Slipknot and Katana)? 

By the time Diablo was referring to the rest of the Squad as family, I was like "Huh? When did that happen?"

Just a confusing movie-going experience all around.

Today it was either this or Storks with the kids, so I chose this. Yes, they were lucky that they had Viola Davis going over the 65 backstories of the characters, that's the only reason it held my attention. Still, it seemed like it lasted 30 minutes. 

Harley Quinn in the movie was much more tolerable than I anticipated, as I'd gotten sick of the character just from the promos. Credit to her and Will Smith for really elevating rather thin characters, and Jay Hernandez as well. Like you, I was all, "When did they become close?" when he said they were family, but he made it work as well as he could have. 

As you said, an odd movie. Honestly, it was a mess, but at least it was a watchable mess. Out of all of the new incantation of DC movies, this is the only one I could at least sit through again. 

Edited by Rina99
  • Love 1

"Heath Lesser."  I mainly get a kick out of it because I have a feeling that it actually does probably eat up Jared Leto that he hasn't gotten the praise and adoration that Heath Ledger did.  Should have sent more used condoms, Jared!

If nothing else, it really does show how awkward, rushed, and underdeveloped the Katana character was.  I barely remember a thing about her!

Cara Delevinge's performance still makes me laugh.  Really want to know what David Ayer's intention was when he directed all those scenes.  Because it's gone over my head.

• Love 8
On 12/6/2016 at 2:46 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Cara Delevinge's performance still makes me laugh.  Really want to know what David Ayer's intention was when he directed all those scenes.  Because it's gone over my head.

I have my suspicions...

• Love 3
On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎12 at 2:19 PM, Bruinsfan said:

I have my suspicions...

Heeheehee I totally agree that's exactly what she looked like! I didn't have a problem with how she moved, I thought it looked like she was moving through water, but your dance video changed my mind. Boom chicka boom chicka.

Big deal. The makeup guy from Norbit (whose name I can't remember) got a nomination for that, and Eddie Murphy probably burned that fat suit after the final day of shooting. How funny would it be if somebody won a prestigious award for determining the right amount of color to add to Margot Roble's hair?

50 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Big deal. The makeup guy from Norbit (whose name I can't remember) got a nomination for that, and Eddie Murphy probably burned that fat suit after the final day of shooting. How funny would it be if somebody won a prestigious award for determining the right amount of color to add to Margot Roble's hair?

Well, hair coloring is both an art and science. And you don't get to do a big budget studio film with A-list talent by being bad at it.

The nomination for SS is probably mostly for Killer Croc's prosthetic makeup, though.

• Love 2

I finally watched this one and it wasn't as bad as some said but it wasn't good, either. It was just kind of a mess.

I actually thought the majority of the actors were trying their best to make something out of a very thin script, esp. Viola Davis, but they could only do so much. There were parts where I was left wondering if entire chunks of the movie were left on the editing room floor because it jumped around so much and characters talked about becoming family when they hadn't even spent 24 hours together. It was just so disjointed.

I wasn't left shaking my head in disgust like I did with Batman vs. Superman, but this was just...odd.

• Love 2

And Suicide Squad has won an Oscar!  Best Makeup and Hairstyling, as was said earlier when they got the nomination.

Alessandro Bertolazzi, Giorgio Gregorini and Christopher Nelson won the award for their styling work on all of the great characters they helped create. Killer Croc was the most impressive, but Harley Quinn, The Joker, El Diablo, and Enchantress all had amazing makeup too. From head to toe!

This is the first Oscar win for a DC Comics movie since The Dark Knight at the 2009 Academy Awards, which won Best Supporting Actor (Heath Ledger) and Best Sound Editing (Richard King).

• Love 1

Heh. That's what I was thinking. I mean, it wasn't a bad movie. BvS wasn't that bad, either. It's just that Marvel has set the far so friggin' high, and Fox putting out Deadpool doesn't help.

Did the Razzies ream this movie out as well? I mean, Jared Leto and Poor Man's Shakira (Enchantress) alone . . .

ETA: And Viola Davis won! I mean, not as Amanda Waller. I'm thinking her portrayal still pales to CCH Pounder from Justice League Unlimited.

• Love 1

Haaaaaaaa! at the title change!

28 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Did the Razzies ream this movie out as well? I mean, Jared Leto and Poor Man's Shakira (Enchantress) alone . . .

Nah; BvS took all the heat from the Razzies.