Type keyword(s) to search

Suicide Squad (2016)

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

When the trailers and photos of this movie first surfaced it looked so bad to me, but I saw this on HBO over the weekend (most of it). I turned it off near the end, couldn't really finish it in one sitting. Maybe I'll catch the ending at a later date. I liked MoS and parts of BvsS, which had quite a few things wrong with it. Miscasting. Eisenberg. Here it was a bit of the same. Cara as Enchantress (although I liked the primal slayer look). Jai as Boomerang (guy can't act and useless in the movie) and I don't know who Joel K is but wrong for Flagg, didn't care for him either. Leto as Joker. It's all been said already, but the grill and tats and all, just no. If he is part of the new solo Batman movie, I will be skipping it. Funny how Marvel seems to cast the perfect people and DC always missteps. Like Pixar/DreamWorks on their animations and the voice acting. Pixar gets it right, DW fails a lot.

Will was Will, as we've seen him in most movies, MR did good with Harley, and VD wasn't bad as Waller. I didn't care for her casually killing her own men though that seemed a bit OOC in my eyes.

I am also tired of all these DC movies being so damn dark, and I don't mean gritty. I mean visually dark. Marvel movies take place in the sun, with bright colors, these DC movies are starting to drag with all the night time battles and muted colors.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

MR did good with Harley,

I think she was amazing, you actually felt sympathy for a psychotic murderer. I agree about everything else you said too. And if they were killing Slipknot so fast, why didn't they cast some unknown in the part? I thought he'd be there longer since it was Adam Beach.

21 minutes ago, SherriAnt said:

I think she was amazing, you actually felt sympathy for a psychotic murderer. I agree about everything else you said too. And if they were killing Slipknot so fast, why didn't they cast some unknown in the part? I thought he'd be there longer since it was Adam Beach.

As soon as I saw it was Adam Beach I knew he'd be the first to go. That man can't act his way out of a wet paper bag.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ciarrai said:

As soon as I saw it was Adam Beach I knew he'd be the first to go. That man can't act his way out of a wet paper bag.

See, and I love him! Isn't that funny? I thought he was great in Windtalkers and Flags of Our Fathers. Maybe I like him because of North of 60, a Canadian show.

I got the impression with the Harley Quinn character that we were just supposed to automatically care about her because she was hot.  Same with her teammates, they seemed to develop a soft spot for her very early on, I guess just because she was hot.  I mean, if she's with the Joker, she must have been involved with some truly sociopathic homicidal stuff.  But she looks cute in a pair of shorts, so she deserves our sympathy.  That's just the way it seemed to me.

Regarding why a psychiatrist would fall for the Joker in the first place, this type of thing actually happens more than most people realize.  I am aware of female employees in local mental health and forensic facilities falling for male patients/inmates, sometimes going so far as to help them escape.  This has also happened with male employees and female patients, though in those cases it is more often about sex (see the movie Girl, Interrupted for an example).  Someone like the Joker in real life would probably be someone with a great deal of fame and charisma, as well as a lot of power.  I don't think it's hard to believe at all.

• Love 2

I just had the thought that Harley Quinn's outfit might be one of the most iconic movie images from this decade, something that people will dress up as for years to come.

I can't think of anything else that seems as instantly recognizable.

*From the 2010's. Media consumption just seem so fractured now that it's getting rare for something to cut across everything. Her outfit has been able to do that.

Edited by methodwriter85

Finally got to see this last night.  I didn't realize it was a "next story" after BvS, which I haven't seen because everyone tells me its bad and I shouldn't waste 3 hours.  But now I sortof think I should see it to understand the background a little bit more, especially since there will be more movies from this story line.

Second, I know they have to do all this introduction/background story in these movies for people like me who haven't read the comic books and only have a general idea of who the characters are.  But it goes by so fast, that I feel I miss things and then I'm left wondering, why is this guy called Boomerang and what purpose does he serve?  Really, only Deadshot and HQ were explained in any depth, I suppose because they were the "lead villians/heroes", and to a lesser extent Diablo, who died I think.  I feel like they need to shorten the final confrontation story line, to have time to explain the characters at least a little bit more, or make the movie more than 2 hours (even perhaps an additional 15 minutes would help).

I agree that I'm tired of these movies being placed in such dark surroundings, making it difficult to see what's going on.  At least HQ's costume stood out and was easy to see.

That all said, I did enjoy the movie.  I thought Jared Leto and Margot Robbie did fine jobs with their characters, especially since Jared is doint a character very iconic to two other infamous actors.  He put his own spin/look on it and it was good.  I almost didn't recognize Will Smith (and I lol'd at his daughter using gun tragectories for her math homework).  

5 hours ago, Hanahope said:

I agree that I'm tired of these movies being placed in such dark surroundings, making it difficult to see what's going on.  At least HQ's costume stood out and was easy to see.

Well yeah, between the bright colors, bling, chalk-white skin, and the camera being operated like a sigmoidoscope, for her costume not to be easy to see the movie screen would have had to be a blank dark rectangle.

• Love 3
On 4/25/2017 at 10:22 AM, Hanahope said:

Finally got to see this last night.  I didn't realize it was a "next story" after BvS, which I haven't seen because everyone tells me its bad and I shouldn't waste 3 hours.  But now I sortof think I should see it to understand the background a little bit more, especially since there will be more movies from this story line.

Have you seen Man of Steel?  That's the first one, then BvS.  I happen to love both, but I'll readily admit that BvS is probably anything BUT what you're expecting when you pop in the disk.  But we have other threads to discuss those.

On 4/25/2017 at 10:22 AM, Hanahope said:

But it goes by so fast, that I feel I miss things and then I'm left wondering, why is this guy called Boomerang and what purpose does he serve?

In the comics, he's Captain Boomerang and he uses boomerangs to commit crimes (much as he used a surveillance boomerang towards the end of the movie).  His real purpose in the film is to be a dick (and because it's not Suicide Squad without him); I actually quit reading the comic back in the 90's because I couldn't take his assholeness anymore.

• Love 1
On 4/26/2017 at 11:45 PM, MarkHB said:

Have you seen Man of Steel?  That's the first one, then BvS.  I happen to love both, but I'll readily admit that BvS is probably anything BUT what you're expecting when you pop in the disk.

Yes, I did see Man of Steel.  And I just finished BvS last night, which was not as bad, imo, as others had led me to believe.  and yes, did provide at least a little good background info.

(edited)

I'd like to comment that when I saw this film, it was very much like seeing a comet streak through a summer's sky ... but in some other genre.

For example, when Jesse Owens won all those gold medals in 1936, it seemed like the entire world was talking about nothing else. He was akin to a comet streaking through a summer sky.

When The Beatles first hit the popular music scene ... same kind of thing. OK. What am I trying to say?

It's about Margot Robbie. I have only ever seen 2 or 3 other actors who broke into the business with such a powerful "comet like" performance. I know she isn't the world's greatest actress like Meryl Streep might be. But, Holy Bleep! She has this amazing power and range that just puts all other young actresses to shame. I don't think hardly any of them can hold a candle to her in that respect.

I sure do hope that someone here can do a better job of describing her kind of power. I know there must be a name for this condition. But I just can't find the name for that ability. Can anyone help me do that?

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, MissBluxom said:

I sure do hope that someone here can do a better job of describing her kind of power. I know there must be a name for this condition. But I just can't find the name for that ability. Can anyone help me do that?

The ditzy blonde?

4 hours ago, SherriAnt said:

I find her very charismatic.

Charismatic is an excellent word to describe her.

Ditzy? Under some circumstances and from some POV, I suppose. Personally, I find her talent close to Greatness.

20 minutes ago, MissBluxom said:

Ditzy? Under some circumstances and from some POV, I suppose. Personally, I find her talent close to Greatness.

I didn't mean Margot Robbie was ditzy, but Harley Quinn certainly is.  You mentioned Marilyn Monroe, who played the ditzy blonde a lot (both in acting roles and to get what she wanted), even though reports are she was quite intelligent.

(edited)
10 hours ago, rmontro said:

I didn't mean Margot Robbie was ditzy, but Harley Quinn certainly is.  You mentioned Marilyn Monroe, who played the ditzy blonde a lot (both in acting roles and to get what she wanted), even though reports are she was quite intelligent.

OK. Sorry for any misunderstanding. I think you are right. She must be very intelligent to pull off some of the extremely diff characters that she has.

If you see Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (which I would not particularly recommend), you can hardly recognize her as the same actor who she played in  Suicide Squad.

Edited by MissBluxom
4 hours ago, MissBluxom said:

If you see Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (which I would not particularly recommend), you can hardly recognize her as the same actor who she played in  Suicide Squad.

Definitely.  She has been in so many roles lately.  I just watched the Tarzan movie last night and she was good in that as well.

(edited)

OMG! Tarzan? I never even realized she was in that.

It also stars Samuel L. Jackson and he only gets 5th billing on IMDB. I will def have to check this out. Thank you so much for the tip.

I've skimmed thru parts of Z for Zachariah and she seems pretty good in that too. It's uncanny seeing her with long brown hair and hearing her speak with an American accent. Not just any accent but a strong Kentucky twang. Uncanny!

Edited by MissBluxom
(edited)
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:22 AM, Hanahope said:

why is this guy called Boomerang and what purpose does he serve?  

Captain Boomerang was a Flash villain in the 1960's. When they revived him for the comics, he was put in the role of team asshole/sociopath/wildcard.

Edited by Ubiquitous
"wildcard", bitches!
  • Love 1

Here's the Enchantress trailer. Nice balance of the comic and movie, to the point where the movie kinda fades from memory. The magic effects are a little too "Green Lantern," though the ultra combo is impressive. Also: no hip-wiggling like Shakira with fleas.

New Suicide Squad "Ayer Cut" script pages and photos have leaked
By Molly Edwards   August 16, 2021
https://www.gamesradar.com/new-suicide-squad-ayer-cut-script-pages-and-photos-have-leaked/ 

Script pages and photos from the so-called "Ayer Cut" of Suicide Squad – the original version of the movie, as directed by David Ayer – have been leaked, revealing more about the unseen version of the movie.

The leaks surfaced on @RTAyerCutSS's Twitter account as part of a trending event. They feature cut scenes with Jared Leto's Joker, including a moment where he confronts a judge at night, as well as more from the movie's ending, and even an alternate version of the mid-credits scene featuring Viola Davis's Amanda Waller and Ben Affleck's Batman.

These excerpts from the script were seemingly confirmed as real when Ayer tweeted, in response to a fan asking which scenes were filmed: "All of them."

New photos from Suicide Squad deleted scenes also hit the internet, with one featuring Jai Courtney's Boomerang in his cell lighting a fire, and another of Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn and Will Smith's Deadshot kissing. The accompanying script page of the kiss was also posted, with Harley warning the sharpshooter that she's "high maintenance".
Warner Bros. CEO Ann Sarnoff poured water over hopes for the Ayer Cut following the release of Zack Snyder's Justice League – and Ayer has recently disowned the theatrical cut of Suicide Squad. 

The director did acknowledge the trending event, though, tweeting: "Was going to low in all this. But the engagement with this hashtag is stunning. All I can say is please keep it positive. It's humbling to have so many people pulling for me. #ReleaseTheAyerCut Light and love always win over darkness"

Edited by tv echo