Type keyword(s) to search

Suicide Squad (2016)

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

Will gets to carry an arm-full of blond:

Suicide%20Squad%202-20150511-23.jpg

They both look a bit too bemused in that shot to fit the characters though, so I wonder if this is right before or after a scene.

Well, this one definitely is:

Suicide%20Squad%205-20150511-17.jpg

Lots more pics (mostly of Robbie): http://www.starpulse.com/news/Kevin_Blair/2015/05/11/margot-robbie-and-will-smith-get-soake

It's all very "wet T-shirt contest" (although she's clearly wearing a support garment).

That same site has this (older) photo I hadn't seen of Robbie, in what's clearly intended to show Dr. Harleen Quinzel (vs. Harley Quinn) (markHB alluded to this).

Margot%20Robbie%20Suicide%20Squad%204-20

Edited by Kromm

Older real closeup of Batfleck, that I'm sure has been around the net for months, but never got posted here.

Suicide%20Squad%206-20150529-34.jpg

And a shot of Common playing whoever the heck he's playing... (could be Tattooed Man, could be Black Manta, could be a lot of characters).

common.jpg

And just for posterity (again I'm sure it's been all over the net for months), here's that one good on-set shot of The Joker someone got (it may look like a posed shot, but in the pulled back version of that you can see that white background is actually a Thrifty Moving Truck).

jared-leto-3.jpg

Edited by Kromm

Are we sure that's Affleck, and not a stuntman (that they hired based on chin resemblance)?

Perhaps. But there was a shot of Batman inside his car and THAT version had no chin.

Could mean two different stuntmen rather than one Batfleck and one stuntman, but at the very least it made it clear there IS a stuntman working for the production that had no Ben-Jaw. (EDIT - okay after thinking about it a bit, change that to "probably", not "IS")

Suicide%20Squad%204-20150529-30.jpg

EDIT - Admittedly there's similar stubble though (I just noticed as I went back to add this to the existing post). So maybe back off what I typed up there a bit. This could just be the same person but with the worst possible angle for the shot (where the jaw just magically disappeared under the rubber cowl).

And actually in BOTH shots those look like Affleck's eyes.

And Harley IS in the other car--although she's in the passenger seat.  We can only CONCLUDE Joker is driving (unless someone else got a photo of that).

Suicide%20Squad-20150529-29.jpg

Edited by Kromm

This DOES all have me wondering about the timeline of things.

I see what SEEMS to be three separate times represented.

1.) Harley is Dr. Harleen Quinzel. That presumably has to be earliest.  She's got unbleached long dirty blond hair.
2.) Harely is (seemingly) with The Joker in a chase involving Batman. Her hair is now bleached almost white, where there isn't the blue and pink dye.
3.) Harley is in prison, Waller collects her, and she joins the Squad.  Adventures happen.

And... here's another article and set of pics I JUST found.  These are also months old, so certainly also all the hell over the net. And the origin story of Harley is well enough known that I don't think it's overly spoilery to post this. So, yes, pre-Harley Harleen appears in scenes with The Joker. Because you know. That's the story, right?

Suicide%20Squad%207-20150519-82.jpg Suicide%20Squad-20150519-73.jpg

But see it makes me wonder if time period 1 and 2 (from my above list) aren't the same. That maybe Harleen is already Harley and we get some kind of magic wig pulling off reveal.

Speaking of hair, two other questions.

1.) How does Prison/Post-Prison Harley have bleached hair?  Bleach is dangerous. A weapon. And Joker and any crony of his knows how to weaponize chemicals. It seems to make no sense.

2.) How the heck does Joker's hair STAYING green even make sense?  This really IS nitpicky, because the comics are the same. I mean can a chemical really penetrate roots enough so that all future growth is a certain color?  Argh. Never mind. This one we just have to chalk up to comic book logic.

Sorry, not trying to give you a hard time. It's just that I don't think they'd actually have the main actor do a stunt like that.  :-)

What stunt?  He's still in the first shot, and sitting in a parked car in another. The car shot (if it is Affleck) may just be for a closeup.

EDIT - Okay, I see what you mean. That first shot SEEMS to be in a harness on top of the car. That said, Affleck has been known to do his own stunts when they are low-impact.

Edited by Kromm

2.) How the heck does Joker's hair STAYING green even make sense?  This really IS nitpicky, because the comics are the same. I mean can a chemical really penetrate roots enough so that all future growth is a certain color?  Argh. Never mind. This one we just have to chalk up to comic book logic.

If we're postulating him surviving a dive into a giant vat of mysterious chemical goop that bleaches his skin permanently chalk white, I don't have a problem with it permanently altering his hair follicles to turn them green. :)

• Love 1

Speaking of that -- props to the makeup department on the Joker's skin tone. Leto actually looks otherworldly pale, instead of painted white. I don't really "notice" the makeup. (Just the white, I'm talking about.)

1.) How does Prison/Post-Prison Harley have bleached hair?  Bleach is dangerous. A weapon. And Joker and any crony of his knows how to weaponize chemicals. It seems to make no sense.

Shut up, brain!

In the current comics continuity, didn't Harley also get permanently bleached by chemicals? So if the movie goes with that (which I think they are because I think that's the same continuity as Harley on the Roller Derby team), she wouldn't need to maintain the bleach. It just is. but rather the red/blue dye for the pigtails. But that could be Kool-aid or something similar that can be obtained in prison.

In the current comics continuity, didn't Harley also get permanently bleached by chemicals? So if the movie goes with that (which I think they are because I think that's the same continuity as Harley on the Roller Derby team), she wouldn't need to maintain the bleach. It just is. but rather the red/blue dye for the pigtails. But that could be Kool-aid or something similar that can be obtained in prison.

I admit being behind on my facts with the current version, but isn't the current one the one with no Dr. Quinzel?  Which this movie DOES seem to have. So I'm curious how that would mix with any kind of Roller Derby thing.  As for chemicals on her?  If so, they'd have to have been a lot more carefully managed, because this version in the movie clearly has no damage to her skin (frankly, a chalk-faced Margot Robbie would be a crime against aesthetics, so it's not exactly a surprise there isn't).

I cannot keep all the various histories straight, but I thought she was Dr. Harleen Quinzel in all of them, but the new origin had her going insane as a result of the Joker putting her in the acid vat instead of as a result of trying to treat the Joker. I haven't read it though--just read about it.

I also think Margot Robbie does look chalk faced in her Harley outfits in both the stills and the trailer.

Jared Leto's Joker looks like a very skinny creepy clown. I swear everytime I see him I want to feed him and keep away from him at the same time.

Edited by Jazzy24

Margot Robbie and Jai Courtney went to visit a child's fundraising lemonade stand in Toronto, and in the video it's mentioned that principal photography on Suicide Squad has wrapped!  Jared leto also noted the occasion.

Jared Leto's Joker looks like a very skinny creepy clown. I swear everytime I see him I want to feed him and keep away from him at the same time.

That's probably not a bad look for The Joker, now that I think of it!

• Love 3

The NY Daily News has an interview with Margot Robbie where she talks about the film experience, and also mentions that she was up for the role of Sue Storm in "Fantastic Four".

"I guess the one common denominator is we're all bad guys, it just makes everything more fun that way," says Robbie. "The scenes are more interesting I feel, when you just don't know how the characters are going to react, especially with Harley, who's absolutely nuts… she's either going to kill you or laugh and give you a hug."

Suicide Squad could just as easily end up more like Green Lantern than the Nolan Batman movies, so she's not out of the woods yet.

I don't think it's aiming for either territory. It's clearly intended to be more like a DC comics version of The Dirty Dozen--which is not something that fits either brief.

Although I get that you mean mainly it's quality. Which... of course it could. Given how the last Superman movie was shit, they're already a bit in a hole in terms of their recent work.

I LOVE Viola Davis.

But there is nothing that I have seen, that makes me want to see this movie. Not one thing. Nothing.

Not even my love for Viola Davis. 

I would rather just watch the Justice League Unlimited's CADMUS Arc in a continuous loop.

The December issue of Empire Magazine is featuring Suicide Squad... complete with 5 variant covers (one of which is subscriber-exclusive).  There are stories on each of the 4 primary covers on the Empire News page (see above link).

(Posted from Clay Enos' Twitter)

CSa67mAWcAANcn0.jpg

CSVgU1hWEAAGxHB.jpg

CSazn97WIAA2e9s.jpg

CSVd9gcXIAAQtn_.jpg

And the Subscriber-only special, from Moviepilot

brand-new-photo-of-jared-leto-as-the-jok

The issue should be on newsstands now in the UK, and probably at the beginning of December in the US and Canada (but I'm not sure about Canada).

Yeah, It's coming out August next year. It does seem a bit much so soon. Maybe it's a DC/WB thing, because they've been promoting Batman v. Superman a bunch, too; and that one isn't coming out until March. With Bv.S, at least that was supposed to come out this year (the marketing plan was already in place), I don't know what the excuse for SS is.

I don't know what the excuse for SS is.

The first big magazine cover for BvS was Entertainment Weekly, and that was the Comic-Con issue 10 months out from the release.  This is the December issue of Empire, so that's 8-10 months out from the release depending on how you want to count it.  Plus, there is probably marketing data that says these 4 individuals boost magazine sales.

(Still waiting for that December Empire to hit the stands, btw)

DC announced a line of collectible statues from the Suicide Squad movie today, and while there are no pics yet they did include something that reads like an official synopsis of the film:

It feels good to be bad…Assemble a team of the world’s most dangerous, incarcerated Super Villains, provide them with the most powerful arsenal at the government’s disposal, and send them off on a mission to defeat an enigmatic, insuperable entity. U.S. intelligence officer Amanda Waller has determined only a secretly convened group of disparate, despicable individuals with next to nothing to lose will do. However, once they realize they weren’t picked to succeed but chosen for their patent culpability when they inevitably fail, will the Suicide Squad resolve to die trying, or decide it’s every man for himself?

Next Tuesday at 9:30 ET, The CW will be running a special on the DC Movie Universe, including the new trailer for Suicide Squad.

Also, USA Today ran an article on the DCEU this weekend, including a new pic from this film and some comments from David Ayer and Ben Affleck about the movie:

Then there’s Suicide Squad, which offers arguably the most colorful group of villains ever seen in a movie. And Ayer loved every minute with them. “We all need good guys and everything — yay, good guys — but at the end of the day, they’re kinda boring,” the Fury director says. “They’re always going to do the right thing. When you’re dealing with the baddies, it’s easy to get ahead of the audience and invert expectations.”

Deadshot, Harley, Killer Croc (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje), Enchantress (Cara Delevingne), Rick Flag (Joel Kinnaman) and Katana (Karen Fukuhara) are part of a team put together by government official Amanda Waller (Viola Davis) to deal with a mysterious adversary in the movie, which also showcases a Joker played by Leto who transcends being bad or even evil, Ayer says. “He’s the king of Planet Joker.”

When you have Batman’s archnemesis, the hero himself can’t be far behind, and one of Ayer’s favorite days was filming Affleck’s part in Suicide Squad. “We made him fight,” the director says with a laugh. “He’s awesome (as Batman). ... You really sense that but for the grace of God he himself would be doing some really foul stuff out in the world.”

Heh -- Joker's has a broken tooth!

I wondered if they would somehow fit Batman into the poster despite having (I think) very little screentime. Making his insignia part of Joker's face is a clever way to do it, since Joker's fixation on Batman is a defining part of him, without letting unspoiled people think that they're getting Batman in the movie.

I'm so psyched for this movie. The look, the attitude, the chance to experience villains with an actual personality! I'm reaching comic-movie-burnout, and knowing the deluge of releases to come in the next few years isn't helping, but Suicide Squad and Captain America are still my two biggest must-sees of the 2016.

Edited by coppersin
  • Love 1

Between this and the new BvS trailer, it seems DC has finally caught on that it's okay to not be completely grimdark all the time. This may be the first of their films I'll actually see in the theater.

If the movie lives up to these very satisfying trailers, as soon as the credits roll I'm gonna want more of every single character ASAP (possibly even Deadshot, even though I'm not thrilled with Will Smith in the role).

We should start taking bets on what song DC decides to use for the next trailer, 'cause the first two were aces.

Edited by coppersin

DC/WB clearly put some money into the effects and makeup for Killer Croc; should I assume that he's one of the few to survive?

Not really feeling the 'smoke aura'(??) they're using for Enchantress, though.

And yeah, Joker and Harley are here to be scene stealers.

I hope the next trailer shows a little more of the lesser known Squad members -- some lines maybe?

I'm excited, this movie looks like a blast!

Yeah this movie looks like a blast.

And they still haven't let it be known who Scott Eastwood is playing, I'm leaning towards the theory that he's playing an undercover Dick Grayson.