Type keyword(s) to search

Suicide Squad (2016)

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

I've seen arguments elsewhere that the off-the-rack look of the costumes could be a result of their just getting let out of prison for this, and not given a chance to go to the Mad Hatter's or whoever is the official supervillain tailor to get their special duds.

Whoever came up with that theory is being utterly ridiculous.  Harley, at the very least, is not wearing off-the-rack anything.

Have you read what's written on Harley's jacket?

And to a lesser extent what's on her T-shirt seems somewhat custom too, but DEFINITELY what's on the jacket.

• Love 1

That cameo was expected but it's welcomed. While I still have some reservations, I can't lie though. Right now, Suicide Squad is a lot more appealing than Batman V. Superman: Dawn Of Justice is at the moment.

• Love 2

I am interested in seeing more of Leto's Joker, and I wasn't sure I would ever have said that before. I hope a better version of the trailer comes out soon, but I really liked what I saw even though the dialogue was too muddied for me to make out much. 

• Love 1

There's a few leaks here and there but they're mostly being taken down. Personally, it looks bleak as hell but definitely exciting though.

Both Leto and Robbie seem perfect as Joker and Harley, so looking forward to their onscreen dynamic.

Hoping they officially release this soon though.

Here's the official statement:

"Warner Bros. Pictures and our anti-piracy team have worked tirelessly over the last 48 hours to contain the Suicide Squad footage that was pirated from Hall H on Saturday. We have been unable to achieve that goal. Today we will release the same footage that has been illegally circulating on the web, in the form it was created and high quality with which it was intended to be enjoyed. We regret this decision as it was our intention to keep the footage as a unique experience for the Comic Con crowd, but we cannot continue to allow the film to be represented by the poor quality of the pirated footage stolen from our presentation."

- Sue Kroll, President Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures

• Love 1

Here's the official statement:

I don't understand this statement.  Not that I'm saying the pirated stuff is ok, but studios should have a plan in place.  That whenever they show any kind of footage at Comic-Con, that they are ready to release a public version a few hours later.  I understand showing it at Comic-Con first as an exclusive, but after that release it publicly quickly.

• Love 4

The only one who seems out of place is Cara Delevingne, but hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Going by the trailer, it looks like Will Smith is acting in a different movie. Could be misleading though.

• Love 1

Ok, I have apprehensions about Batman vs. Superman, and the cinematic DC universe in general (we`re just like Marvel, except we aren't allowed to smile. Unless your the Joker), but this looks pretty awesome. 

• Love 1

Going by the trailer, it looks like Will Smith is acting in a different movie. Could be misleading though.

That's what it looked like to me as well, all the others are villains but Smith is doing this for his family.  I wouldn't be shocked if Smith put in his own rewrites to make his characters fit his beliefs and make him not so evil as to hurt his brand.

I totally agree that any trailer they show as an SDCC exclusive needs to be just that till the Monday after SDCC then they release their high quality version for the world.  Why punish everyone who doesn't want spend the money to fly out to CA and wait in long lines to where they might not even get into the hall they waited hours for.

• Love 2

I don't understand this statement.  Not that I'm saying the pirated stuff is ok, but studios should have a plan in place.  That whenever they show any kind of footage at Comic-Con, that they are ready to release a public version a few hours later.  I understand showing it at Comic-Con first as an exclusive, but after that release it publicly quickly.

I think that a) they actually want to keep some stuff exclusive to SDCC, at least for a while, to continue to drive the "specialness" of the con (and to use it as a test market, effectively), and b) they didn't want to step on the marketing of Batman v Superman by adding extra publicity for another movie.

There are flashbacks to Deadshot with his daughter in the film.  That's why we saw him in full costume right after the Christmas shopping sequence.  I don't know if it's intended to show his current motivation or what turned him into an assassin.

• Love 1

I think that a) they actually want to keep some stuff exclusive to SDCC, at least for a while, to continue to drive the "specialness" of the con (and to use it as a test market, effectively), and b) they didn't want to step on the marketing of Batman v Superman by adding extra publicity for another movie.

There are flashbacks to Deadshot with his daughter in the film.  That's why we saw him in full costume right after the Christmas shopping sequence.  I don't know if it's intended to show his current motivation or what turned him into an assassin.

Oh I totally understand wanting it to be exclusive, but it seems surprising that the executives didn't know that it would be pirated two seconds after they showed it.  Footage from Comic-Con gets pirated all the time, so any studio who isn't prepared for it seems incredibly unprofessional.

• Love 2

I like this Waller better than many of the other live action Wallers.  She's not fat, but she's got the attitude down better.

Interesting we get to hear more from The Joker than from Batsy, even if we see Bats a few times.

Very psyched for Katana.  About time we got a live action one.

I'm a bit conflicted about the little we've seen of Harley.  Harley's been rebooted a few times already, but I've always favored the idea that although she looks and acts young, she's actually a bit older (the version of her origin with her being a Psychiatrist depends on that vs. the other origin, where she's just some obsessed random girl)--the lost little girl vibe of the stuff in the cage rings false to me, even while the slightly loopy nihilistic stuff OUT of the cage with her seems more on point. 

We barely saw Will Smith as Deadshot. Which is fine with me.  Smith has an awful lot to prove to me before I'll accept him having more than a glorified cameo. Wish we'd seen a bit more of Enchantress, Killer Croc, and Boomerang, but you can't have everyone in a such a short piece and they were right to spend the time teasing the characters they did.

Well also Batman v. Superman STILL seems terrible even after the new footage that's been released.  Whereas THIS movie, after seeing the footage, seems to have a chance of NOT being terrible.

• Love 1

Wow Viola's Amanda Waller really is a lot like Annaliese Keating...

This could could make up for the clusterfuck casting that was Batman vs. Superman. While I still wish Heath Ledger was alive to be Joker, Jared Leto will do just fine.

• Love 1
(edited)

I like this Waller better than many of the other live action Wallers.  She's not fat, but she's got the attitude down better.

Interesting we get to hear more from The Joker than from Batsy, even if we see Bats a few times.

Very psyched for Katana.  About time we got a live action one.

I'm a bit conflicted about the little we've seen of Harley.  Harley's been rebooted a few times already, but I've always favored the idea that although she looks and acts young, she's actually a bit older (the version of her origin with her being a Psychiatrist depends on that vs. the other origin, where she's just some obsessed random girl)--the lost little girl vibe of the stuff in the cage rings false to me, even while the slightly loopy nihilistic stuff OUT of the cage with her seems more on point. 

We barely saw Will Smith as Deadshot. Which is fine with me.  Smith has an awful lot to prove to me before I'll accept him having more than a glorified cameo. Wish we'd seen a bit more of Enchantress, Killer Croc, and Boomerang, but you can't have everyone in a such a short piece and they were right to spend the time teasing the characters they did.

Well also Batman v. Superman STILL seems terrible even after the new footage that's been released.  Whereas THIS movie, after seeing the footage, seems to have a chance of NOT being terrible.

I think they're still going with that though....I think we see Harley in a white coat (possibly a lab/medical coat?)  and simple pony tail being forced onto a gurney ( presumably before she becomes Harley Quinn). Also someone on the internet pointed out that the figure being held down by leather straps looks like Harley and it appears to be the same scene (or at least the same set) where the Joker is about torture someone

Edited by Cirien

I really liked that trailer. 

I've been a fan of Jai Courtney since I saw him on Spartacus so it's going to be interesting to see him as such a different character, one that is in no way altruistic and is in fact a villain through and through.

Harley looks appropriately unhinged.   And MR manages to not look COMPLETELY dangerous in some shots (which is really one of Harley's strengths, many underestimate just how dangerous she is) and the closing music about "the joke being on me" is especially haunting and tragic sounding.

I have know doubt Viola Davis will do a good job with Amanda Waller.

Will Smith.........would not have been my choice for Deadshot.  Sigh.  I can only hope he's better than the last "Smith" to take part in a DC Production.  (Still cringing from Jada's turn as Fish Mooney).

• Love 1

Seeing the trailer properly - that was so much better.

WB should've realised that it was going to leak and spread and should've prepared for this. That press release reeked of sour grapes.

Robbie is going to be the highlight of the fricking movie. Her take on Harley is going to be iconic. Leto is pretty impressive as Joker as well.

Waller is just Waller. Viola's great but I don't always find Waller greatly fascinating as a character. I still think Davis will make her more interesting than Assault On Arkham did though.

Intrigued enough by Enchantress, Katana and Boomerang. Didn't get enough on the others to really care. Deadshot seems okay though.

Makes sense to show the Batman chase in the trailer and nice that the movie won't shy from Joker/Harley's destructive relationship either.

The following comes from some of what fans managed to capture in Toronto:

It looks like they're going with something like the psychiatrist origin; there were scenes of Robbie, in a blue shirt, jeans and glasses and looking very doctor-like, arguing with the Joker and engaging in a motorcycle chase (Robbie did some of the motorcycle work herself).  That's my interpretation, anyway.

WB should've realised that it was going to leak and spread and should've prepared for this. That press release reeked of sour grapes.

Exactly!  Again, WB/DC should take a page out of Disney/Marvel's book like when the Avengers: AOU trailer leaked a few days before the actual premier, they sucked it up and released a high quality version by making a joke about the leak due to Hydra.

• Love 1

I guess if Warner Brothers is doing me the favor of grudgingly releasing the trailer to the unwashed masses the week after it was shown to its elite intended audience, I can grudgingly buy a matinee ticket a weekend or two after it's released so as to let the "real fans" have first crack at seeing it and having their attendance reflected in the box office numbers. How's that sound, WB?

• Love 4

I've been a fan of Jai Courtney since I saw him on Spartacus so it's going to be interesting to see him as such a different character, one that is in no way altruistic and is in fact a villain through and through.

He's very much a villain in Jack Reacher and the Divergent movies.

I 'get' the song choice, but I don't think it worked with the visuals/tone of the trailer.

Also, I'm really surprised they showed so much footage for a film that isn't coming out for a year. I guess it's hard to cut down to the bare minimum with so many characters?

But at least it looks like it has some (dark) humor, unlike another DC trailer.

• Love 1

My verdict: I'm in. The official trailer looks great. For the most part, it's perfectly cast, especially Margot Robbie, Jared Leto & Viola Davis. ITA that Will Smith's Deadshot is acting like he's another character in another movie. Fortunately, it looks like there'll be enough characters for me to hope that he'll occasionally get lost in the shuffle, however temporarily.

• Love 1

I 'get' the song choice, but I don't think it worked with the visuals/tone of the trailer.

Also, I'm really surprised they showed so much footage for a film that isn't coming out for a year. I guess it's hard to cut down to the bare minimum with so many characters?

But at least it looks like it has some (dark) humor, unlike another DC trailer.

What is interesting is that they are still shooting the movie.  The cast and director flew in just for Comic-Con and got right back on a plane to Toronto after their panel.  So what we saw in the trailer was half of the movie.  Seems like that might be a better way to do trailers now.  The main complaint is they show the whole movie, but cutting a trailer half way through might be a interesting idea.

• Love 1