Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Bettie Jo's Story

• Start Topic

(edited)

Don't adults know how to add sugar to cereal? When I was a kid I added so much it turned into yummy slush at the bottom of the bowl.

I did that too, then graduated to adding Nestle's Quick chocolate powder. Man, does that ever make any cereal taste amazing!  But I haven't had cereal in decades, because I can't justify the calories and sugar. Besides, I can't stick to normal portions like 1/2 cup cereal and 3/4 cup milk. When I ate cereal, it was 3 times that much!

Edited by deedee2
  • Love 5

Her husband is too busy putting Desitin on her butt so no one has time to brush.

I'm sure they do.  In Penny's case, they rented her an apartment full of furniture, it looks like the ones who move this year are bringing their own stuff.

I need to rewatch this episode because I kept missing parts, but I did catch that in the first two months, she lost nothing.  HOW??? Again, this completely baffles me.  And one month after surgery she WANTED to eat Hamburger Helper with what looked like beef!!! I was still on soft foods at one month after my surgery and I still can't eat beef without getting sick six months later. 

Another observation - TLC must have heard our cries from last year that these people need therapy, so they are finally showing it.  Good move TLC!  I just wish they would make these people wear shoes!

I'm curious.  Can you not eat beef because it's verboten, too filling or too greasy?  Thanks.

If Pauline's mouth is open, either she's putting food in it or a lie's coming out of it. She's about as dizzy and nauseous as I am the Queen of England.

Count me in as not understanding how these women can have this type of surgery and barely lose any weight. I thought their stomach size was signifcantly reduced with this procedure and they could barely eat a few tablespoons of food at a time? I really wish instead of using the surgery as a quick fix, they would instead re-educate the participants about food, nutrition, and eating right. Follow them for a year and they will probably lose the same amount of weight as undergoing a major operation. The basic problem with Bettie Jo (and all the others) is that post-op, they go right back into the food situations that got them there in the first place - poor quality, high-fat/high-calorie crap.

It's one thing to lose the weight without surgery, it's keeping it off that is the problem. both my husband and I had RnY gastric bypass. We tried diet prior. We lost some but keeping it off, no. For us, our surgery was the key. We both kept the majority of the weight off. His was in 2001, mine in 2004.

• Love 2

And to answer Granny58, beef can be difficult to digest that early on after surgery. When I did cook with ground beef later, I made sure it was very lean. I still do. Eating a steak came even later, but I can eat a tender cut with no problems.

• Love 1

I'm curious.  Can you not eat beef because it's verboten, too filling or too greasy?  Thanks.

In my post-op instructions, I was told that beef is one of the hardest foods to digest, I think it has something to do with fat interlaced with muscle or something like that, and the stomach has to work really hard to break it down.  It sucks.  I miss burgers!

• Love 2
Guest dutronc

Kind of off-topic, but for a lot of vegetarians (and others) who revert back into meat eating, beef is anecdotally the "worst" food on the stomach. The heaviest, the greasiest, etc. This was true for me and a lot of my friends--it felt terrible. Chicken and pork are difficult, too, but beef was really difficult. 

I have a friend who's been a vegetarian her entire life and if she accidentally eats the tiniest big of pork that is not labeled to be in a sauce or entree at a restaurant her stomach is not happy at all.  

What kind of childhood do you have to have to be happy being a caretaker to a morbidly obese woman?

Maybe his mother was obese.  Something had to happen to influence him to want to take that role.  I was once pursued by a guy who was a friend of a friend who always wanted to "fatten me up" as he would say.  I weighed about 120 at the time.  Turns out, his mother was a very large woman and he had a sister who was very heavy.  Needless to say, I never went out with him and stopped returning his calls. 

When she went home for the visit, they got there around midnight and there was a large spread on the table...fried chicken, potato salad etc. I  guess at least they put the raw veg and ranch dressing in front of her but c'mon people..she's on a weight loss journey/show. Those foods aren't acceptable and by the looks of Grandpa, he shouldn't be eating them either.

I remember in the show about Henry Foots they showed his mother downing a huge Big Mack type burger in front of him after they picked him up from surgery.  I thought, how utterly insensitive!  You couldn't wait until the patient is settled in and go get your food to eat away from the house?  smdh

Edited by swankie
  • Love 3
Guest dutronc

Maybe his mother was obese.  Something had to happen to influence him to want to take that role.  I was once pursued by a guy who was a friend of a friend who always wanted to "fatten me up" as he would say.  I weighed about 120 at the time.  Turns out, his mother was a very large woman and he had a sister who was very heavy.  Needless to say, I never went out with him and stopped returning his calls. 

Regarding Bettie Jo's husband, there was a picture of him with someone who was probably his mother, and she was really, really thin. There might not be a Freudian connector in his case; he might have really liked Bettie Jo and then stayed and freaked when he realized losing weight would be a change in their dynamic.

• Love 1

Maybe his mother was obese. Something had to happen to influence him to want to take that role. I was once pursued by a guy who was a friend of a friend who always wanted to "fatten me up" as he would say. I weighed about 120 at the time. Turns out, his mother was a very large woman and he had a sister who was very heavy. Needless to say, I never went out with him and stopped returning his calls.

I remember in the show about Henry Foots they showed his mother downing a huge Big Mack type burger in front of him after they picked him up from surgery. I thought, how utterly insensitive! You couldn't wait until the patient is settled in and go get your food to eat away from the house? smdh

Some old folks (and younger) sadly don't think their actions affect others. Henry's mother eating that sloppy ass burger reminded me of my dad. My brother seriously struggled with alcohol and my mother and I would go out of our way to avoid drinking around him. My dad on the other hand felt that his having a Budweiser at the dinner table should in no way affect my brothers sobriety. Some folks are just oblivious to the needs of others.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 2

As soon as Bettie Jo was physically able to go shopping for herself, she should have been with her husband at the grocery store, adding doctor approved foods to the cart. If he wanted a hotdog, fine..she can still have her own healthy options.

I seriously feel that Bettie Jo's husband was trying to make her fail her diet in the beginning.  One scene showed her requesting green beans to eat with their hamburger helper and he started ridiculing her because in his words, "Green beans with hamburger helper don't go together."  He was really making a point of her not having anything healthy to eat that day.

• Love 4
Guest dutronc

Some old folks (and younger) sadly don't think their actions affect others. Henry's mother eating that sloppy ass burger reminded me of my dad. My brother seriously struggled with alcohol and my mother and I would go out of our way to avoid drinking around him. My dad on the other hand felt that his having a Budweiser at the dinner table should in no way affect my brothers sobriety. Some folks are just oblivious to the needs of others.

I don't know if there's a clear line about what's right and wrong. What did your brother think of this? Obviously, spiking someone's drink is a terrible choice, and pressuring someone is crappy, but on the other hand, isn't part of recovery learning to make choices? I suppose there are other factors, like newness of recovery steps, etc., but I don't know how reasonable or sustainable it is to protect an addict forever. There was something Bettie Jo said about needing help that rubbed me the wrong way--I forget what it was, but it crossed the line between "please support me when I ask" and "I need you to do it for me." However, when Bettie Jo asked for vegetables and her husband said no and mocked her for it, that was terrible of him. But again, this is something Bettie Jo needs to do--make her own choices and decisions and deal with her own cravings and negotiate her feelings. I'll concede food addiction is different from drug or alcohol addiction, but I think the patterns of recovery tread similar paths.

ETA: And just to be super clear, I don't mean "Lookit me drinkin' a beer, haw haw" is okay, but if someone chooses to have a beer and drink it in a reasonable manner, that's not so clearly disrespectful. When I was teaching a classroom with a majority of Muslim students, I tried to be discreet about drinking coffee during Ramadan, but I didn't not drink it. I wasn't fasting, and I don't think I was being rude.

Edited by dutronc
  • Love 1

in his words, "Green beans with hamburger helper don't go together."  He was really making a point of her not having anything healthy to eat that day.

I didn't understand that all.  Did he mean the flavors wouldn't go together in the same skillet?  Why couldn't you have the beans on the side?  I haven't had any of the 'Helper' foods since they first came out. I tried one and realized it was just pasta and spices. Well, shoot, I had pasta and I had spices, why would I feed my family a salty, chemically mix when it takes the same time to brown the meat and make the pasta?  Takes even less time now that I use beans or fake veg 'meat' instead of ground meat.  : )

Aside from my own dislike of those mixes - should she have been eating that stuff? It can't be the most nutritious thing for someone with limited stomach capacity. 

Guest dutronc

I had the idea that he meant it was stupid to serve the hamburger helper and the green beans on the same plate, but it was hard to tell. Whatever he meant--same dish, same plate, same day--he was being a jerk about it. 

He was being a jerk, and early on she did need his help.  Which is why I said, 'as soon as she was physically able' she needed to be with him at the grocery store. To add to that, she also needed to be in the kitchen, doing for herself, because I agree with a previous poster. Something about her needing him or she "couldn't do it" bothered me too. I'm glad she learned that she could do it herself.  Yes, it's easier with help, but it's not impossible without it.  He wised up and stopped being a jerk. Their relationship survived (until the end of the episode anyway.) I have no idea if they're still together or not. Zsalynn finally found the courage to kick Gareth to the curb. She was another one who learned that not having help wasn't going to stop her. Whether it's bad food choices, alcohol, cigarettes, etc.  you are trying to kick, eventually you will find yourself in a situation where you are facing that very thing, alone and without your support system.  You have to be able to withstand the temptation on your own.  It's unrealistic to think otherwise.  (I say this as a former smoker as well as a person two years into a low carb/high protein diet.)

• Love 1
Guest dutronc

Your point about Gareth reminded me about the taco scene. That was just crummy of him--not only was she practically fresh from surgery, he was a total ass about the whole thing and taunting her. I haven't seen it in a while, but from what I remember, Henry's family was completely restrained.

ETA: What bothered me about Bettie Jo is that she said something close to, "I need someone to help me say no." That sounds like it crosses the line of too much support, I think. 

Edited by dutronc

I need to rewatch this episode because I kept missing parts, but I did catch that in the first two months, she lost nothing.  HOW???

It seemed like a lack of nutritional education and probably not keeping a running calorie total like Joe did. She thought that Raisin Bran was a diet food because it has fiber. I recognized the regional  grocer Save A Lot (not very blurred logo) about six minutes into the episode. Ugh. Those stores are really heavy on junk food while most grocers around here are at least paying some lip service to healthy eating options.

Edited by cheatincheetos

I seriously feel that Bettie Jo's husband was trying to make her fail her diet in the beginning.  One scene showed her requesting green beans to eat with their hamburger helper and he started ridiculing her because in his words, "Green beans with hamburger helper don't go together."  He was really making a point of her not having anything healthy to eat that day.

I wanted to smack him for that comment for two reasons. One, because he was trying to sabotage her. Two, because growing up, when I would spend time at my bio dad's place his wife would make hamburger helper and there was ALWAYS a canned veggie to go with it. It wasn't strange, it was a way to get veggies into the meal.

ETA: What bothered me about Bettie Jo is that she said something close to, "I need someone to help me say no." That sounds like it crosses the line of too much support, I think. 

I thought similar until I realized she's simply asking for what many commenters have said. If she asks for the bad food, say no. Don't buy it at the store and bring it home for her to eat etc. We've all wondered why the enablers don't do this and she simply needed someone to do what WE want them to. Though I must say, hearing that clip at the start of each episode or promo is grating on my ears.

• Love 2

I wish the relatives (including spouses) would make an effort not to eat fried chicken, hot dogs, fries, etc when they invite the story subject over out for a meal.

It happened twice in Bettie Jo's story.  Can't her relatives try to offer healthy food if she's there and her husband eat something a little better than hot dogs when they went out to eat?

I also wish Dr. Now would suggest the patients join Overeaters Anonymous or Weight Watchers so they can get support from people they can relate to.

Guest dutronc

I thought similar until I realized she's simply asking for what many commenters have said. If she asks for the bad food, say no. Don't buy it at the store and bring it home for her to eat etc. We've all wondered why the enablers don't do this and she simply needed someone to do what WE want them to. Though I must say, hearing that clip at the start of each episode or promo is grating on my ears.

I see your point, but I don't think this is the whole picture. This is the double edged sword of enabling, right? Bettie Jo's husband can do his part by helping to learn about nutrition and driving her to the gym or whatever else she needs, but she still needs to be the one to make decisions for herself. She needs to want to go to the gym and learn about healthy eating. She can't rely on other people to create a world in which she has no possibility of making bad choices (or repeated bad choices). It's hard to tell exactly what she meant from the credits, of course.

I see your point, but I don't think this is the whole picture. This is the double edged sword of enabling, right? Bettie Jo's husband can do his part by helping to learn about nutrition and driving her to the gym or whatever else she needs, but she still needs to be the one to make decisions for herself. She needs to want to go to the gym and learn about healthy eating. She can't rely on other people to create a world in which she has no possibility of making bad choices (or repeated bad choices). It's hard to tell exactly what she meant from the credits, of course.

Oh absolutely. I totally agree with you. She has to make good choices and be responsible for those choices. And her husband/family have to say no when she falters and wants them to get the crap she isn't suppose to go anywhere near :) I don't think they have to never have the stuff themselves, they just have to say no to her demanding they get it for HER to consume.

I also wish Dr. Now would suggest the patients join Overeaters Anonymous or Weight Watchers so they can get support from people they can relate to.

He might off camera but we would never see an endorsement for WW. That's advertising and unless they pay for that placement on the show, it's unfair to paying sponsors.

What they never show is the person having a tantrum, a screaming fit and threatening their enabler to get the food they want. They did show it on Dominique's show.

I am not letting the enabler off the hook however.

But it would be good to see how out of control people get.

Can you imagine when Penny doesnt get her way?    

• Love 4

If she has PCOS (and she may), then she may be getting boils in the crease where the thigh meets the ladyparts/rear end.  They are a hallmark of PCOS (the result of constantly fluxuating hormones) and they are horribly painful, and can get infected.  I have PCOS and I deal with one or two a year, but I know people who have them constantly.

Well that it explains it--I also have PCOS and I am just getting over having one of those boils, I don't know why I never connected the two, I don't get them often. But The more I delve into the side effects of PCOS, the more my whole life makes sense, it is an isidious condition, and one that the medical community is only begining to touch upon or research (you would think with relatively high levels of infertility because of it that the medical community would be more interested.)

I wish the relatives (including spouses) would make an effort not to eat fried chicken, hot dogs, fries, etc when they invite the story subject over out for a meal.

It happened twice in Bettie Jo's story.  Can't her relatives try to offer healthy food if she's there and her husband eat something a little better than hot dogs when they went out to eat?

There are millions of americans who grow up eating those foods on a daily basis with no concept that they aren't healthy.  Those foods are also cheap, so when you're both poor(er) and uneducated concerning nutrition, you think that stopping after 1 fried chicken breast is healthy.  I grew up in a family like that.

My husband is a recovering alcoholic with many years of sobriety.  I still feel weird drinking around him and very rarely do.  He says that it makes him feel bad when I modify my behavior because of his issue.  He's being honest, because I'm on a never-ending weight loss journey (80 pounds down, yay) and he eats a huge bowl of ice cream every night, smothers everything in ranch dressing, and eats 3 or 4 times what I do every day.  He's 6'5" and 180 pounds.  Life isn't fair, y'all.

• Love 4

I think low income families can get healthy food. It should cost that much at least not in my area. The local farmers market takes food stamps. Making homemade mac and cheese rather than the box is actually cheaper and lasts longer. Instead of frying chicken you can bake it or boil it.

Guest dutronc

Most people who receive SNAP and similar programs are employed in low-wage jobs. In addition to needing supplemental income, a majority of them are time-poor and can't prepare from-scratch nutritional food if they also want to get to their job/s, sleep and take care of family members. Also, many farmers' markets have limited hours. My local one is open 9-1 twice a month for four months of the year. And no public transit and limited parking makes it a less-desirable option, even if it does take EBT. And one day, the only vegetables at the market were okra and jalapenos, which aren't especially nutritious or easy to eat in large quantities.

In addition to causing nutritional concerns like relying on heavily processed food, this also breaks the chain of knowledge about how food is cooked. Stupid example: My sis has no idea how to make gravy from scratch because my mom worked part time, and canned gravy was one of her shortcuts. Sis also thinks people who make their own gravy are crazy. Likewise, Bettie Jo's boyfriend also learned that mixing vegetables with Hamburger Helper is "crazy." Bettie Jo was raised by her grandmother, and although I don't think I got a good picture of her family dynamics, it was pretty clear that all the food at her relatives' house was purchased prepared--everything was in containers. I don't know if it's because they were coming at a weird hour, or that's how the family is anyway. 

Maybe Bettie Jo and some of the other patients are on SNAP or disability, but I don't think we really know how many of them are, or were covered by their family policies. And I also don't know what difference fresh, locally grown veggies and goat milk soap might make to the people on the show, like Bettie Jo, who has seriously disordered eating. Most of the other patients had middle class families--James, Olivia, Amber, and probably all of the first season (not sure about Henry) were from either middle or working-middle families.

Anyway, tl;dr. I think it's interesting that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot in common across the patients other than a food addiction. Someone else in Bettie Jo's position (raised by strict grandmother, assaulted) could have ended up very normally, or addicted to drugs, or with some other concern. 

I watched a documentary and learned a lot about people on food stamps, food availability and health. In West Oakland, California there are more deaths from health-related issues than from violence and crime. There are no markets that carry fresh fruits and vegetables, no farmers' markets. I have been to West Oakland more than once and just realized that was why I had to settle for a liquor store for snacks. The name of the documentary is Food For Thought. And, there are just as many White communities that were featured. One teacher said she couldn't figure out why one little girl would not participate in class. The child said she couldn't pay attention ... she was just so hungry and spent her time imagining her teacher was a banana and the rest of the class were apples. 

Then there are the homeless. They receive food but a lot of it food that requires storage and/or refrigeration. Or items that needed to be cooked. All of it healthy and fresh or frozen. My mom used to get two or three of together and collect their foods and then cook it for them. 

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Love 2

I watched a documentary and learned a lot about people on food stamps, food availability and health. In West Oakland, California there are more deaths from health-related issues than from violence and crime. There are no markets that carry fresh fruits and vegetables, no farmers' markets. 

I have heard of this before.  They call them "food deserts." I just don't know how much I believe that the local Kroger (or whatever store chain is there) doesn't carry produce, or no supermarkets....so I Googled it.  Good news, West Oakland is getting a new store now! http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/real-estate/2014/12/oakland-grocery-store-tom-henderson-tribune-tower.html?page=all I guess what really goes on in these places is that they are very rough neighborhoods, and since grocery stores operate on such a paper thin margin, they can't afford to take the chance.  This is a terrible situation which I have no idea how to fix...but there has to be some personal responsibility somewhere.  

• Love 3

I have heard of this before.  They call them "food deserts." I just don't know how much I believe that the local Kroger (or whatever store chain is there) doesn't carry produce, or no supermarkets....so I Googled it.  Good news, West Oakland is getting a new store now! http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/real-estate/2014/12/oakland-grocery-store-tom-henderson-tribune-tower.html?page=all I guess what really goes on in these places is that they are very rough neighborhoods, and since grocery stores operate on such a paper thin margin, they can't afford to take the chance.  This is a terrible situation which I have no idea how to fix...but there has to be some personal responsibility somewhere.  

One new store is good.  But West Oakland covers a LOT of territory.  And most folks who live there don't own cars, so getting to a new store that might be miles away, and bringing those groceries home by foot or bus, may not be a viable option.  Especially for the elderly, the morbidly obese, or mothers with young children.  There are signs of hope in West Oakland, for sure, but with those changes there is also the risk of gentrification, which means the people living there now will be priced out of the neighborhood and might end up homeless.  Can you imagine Bettie Jo living on the streets and trying to take care of herself?

It's so sad that so many of the people on the show, and their families, have little to no knowledge of basic nutrition.  I really hope that Dr. Now sets them up with classes so that they can learn to eat better for life.  And that that knowledge is passed down to others in their families.

• Love 3

If she has PCOS (and she may), then she may be getting boils in the crease where the thigh meets the ladyparts/rear end.  They are a hallmark of PCOS (the result of constantly fluxuating hormones) and they are horribly painful, and can get infected.  I have PCOS and I deal with one or two a year, but I know people who have them constantly.

Well that it explains it--I also have PCOS and I am just getting over having one of those boils, I don't know why I never connected the two, I don't get them often. But The more I delve into the side effects of PCOS, the more my whole life makes sense, it is an isidious condition, and one that the medical community is only begining to touch upon or research (you would think with relatively high levels of infertility because of it that the medical community would be more interested.)

Have you ever heard of the autoimmune issue called Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS)?  I don't have PCOS, but I do have HS, and what you are describing sounds very much like HS.  You can read more about it on the blog of Tara Grant.  She also has a book that was published last year called The Hidden Plague.  Based on the Facebook groups that I belong to it's much more common that one would think.  You don't hear much about it because  1) most HS sufferers don't discuss it, because of embarrassment; and 2) many doctors are not familiar with the condition.  I've been able to reduce my flare-ups (both in frequency and severity) by changing my diet.

A lot of women in my HS FB support groups also have PCOS, so I think the conditions go hand-in-hand.  HS is definitely hormone related.

Edited by flappa1016

One new store is good.  But West Oakland covers a LOT of territory.  And most folks who live there don't own cars, so getting to a new store that might be miles away, and bringing those groceries home by foot or bus, may not be a viable option.  Especially for the elderly, the morbidly obese, or mothers with young children.  There are signs of hope in West Oakland, for sure, but with those changes there is also the risk of gentrification, which means the people living there now will be priced out of the neighborhood and might end up homeless.  Can you imagine Bettie Jo living on the streets and trying to take care of herself?

It's so sad that so many of the people on the show, and their families, have little to no knowledge of basic nutrition.  I really hope that Dr. Now sets them up with classes so that they can learn to eat better for life.  And that that knowledge is passed down to others in their families.

Your perception of this situation is extraordinary. And just to be clear with NOTYRMOMMA, it wasn't just "rough" neighborhoods that were cited. As noted, there were non "rough" ares that were all White who were suffering for the same reason. No fresh foods.

But getting back to the show, there seems to be more than one type of non-support. There the type like Henry's mom... she actually was making "nom, nom noises and going ummm while she was eating that burger. And then there the supporters who keep bringing the food, the bad food.

I share food with a younger cousin who is headed to 600 pounds. But it is food I've cooked or purchased and I eat organically and use healthy oils if oil is used at all. Things like roast turkey, dressing made with non gluten breads and other organic ingredients, etc... He is still able to walk and work but cannot sit down 5 minutes before he falls asleep and has three breathing devices. I don't lecture him anymore because he has excuses for why he does it and says he doctor never suggested he diet. He's barely 5 feet and weighs that much.

• Love 1

Lots of low income kids can't even identify many vegetables or fruits. Because they've never see them in their homes. And the adults come from the same backgrounds, so the situation continues through generations. I learned what vegetables look like, AND how to cook them growing up. Carrots, beets, and rutabagas, for example, don't look like much straight from the produce section if one has no idea how to cook/eat them.

• Love 2

I wonder where her and her husband met? He does have really pretty eyes.

Their relationship is so odd. His need to be wanted is really concerning. I feel like their relationship won't last with her weight loss.

He is afraid of her not needing him any more, yet didn't show up when she was in the hospital.

• Love 2
Guest dutronc

He is afraid of her not needing him any more, yet didn't show up when she was in the hospital.

I think that pretty much says it all.

• Love 1

It's so weird seeing how different his behavior was on Supersize vs Superskinny and on My 600lb Life. He acted like he wanted her to lose weight and said that she was afraid to die, but on My 600lb life, he didn't want her to lose weight.

• Love 2

It's so weird seeing how different his behavior was on Supersize vs Superskinny and on My 600lb Life. He acted like he wanted her to lose weight and said that she was afraid to die, but on My 600lb life, he didn't want her to lose weight.

Thanks for that info! I am curious about checking that show out now. :)

• Love 1