Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Bettie Jo's Story

• Start Topic

Just getting into the episode. Dislike the excuses already. She was 180lbs at the age of 12, before being raped. The sexual assault is not the reason for the weight though that's the one she gave. I hope she gets counseling to understand the real reason.

So many of them say that they started to gain a lot of weight at 5 years old.

• Love 1

What I don't understand is why have the surgery if it doesn't reduce your appetite and you still want to eat all the time? It seems like someone like Bettie Jo could have achieved that weight loss just cutting back on food and moving more without having surgery.

• Love 6
Guest dutronc

We didn't see Bettie Jo's nuclear family--no parents or siblings--so I'm going to assume she had a chaotic childhood, and probably bounced around between relatives. A lot of other people on the show have said violence and fighting in the parents caused stress and weight gain, or at least led to an environment in which food became something more than nutrition. 

The thing that kind of shocked me the most was how much Bettie Jo weighed and how short she was. It's crazy that her body could even support her.

My sister is the height as her and weighs about 110 lbs. I don't think I could imagine her at 600lbs.

How tall was she? I missed that. I did catch that the Dr. Said her ideal weight at her frame was 120 so I figured she must be pretty small.

If I am remembering correctly Betty Jo said she weighed 400 and something pounds when she met Josh at age 17. Given that during their relationship she gained 250 pounds and he clearly sees his role as her caregiver I am wondering if her weight gain was caused by his (perhaps purposeful) over-feeding of her. His attitude will have to change or her row to hoe is going to be a lot tougher... She thinks she can't lose weight without him; the reality may be she can't lose weight with him.

Edited by Alexis
  • Love 3

What I don't understand is why have the surgery if it doesn't reduce your appetite and you still want to eat all the time? It seems like someone like Bettie Jo could have achieved that weight loss just cutting back on food and moving more without having surgery.

Bariatric surgery helps with the physical hunger, it doesn't help with the mental addiction to food. The surgery is more successful than pure diet over the long term because only an incredibly small percentage of obese people have been able to lose weight, and keep it off, with diet and exercise alone. The surgery is a tool to make diet and exercise more successful.

Although it may not seem possible for people without this problem, I truly did not realize how addicted I was to eating until after my lapband surgery. Even when I wasn't hungry, I was shocked that I really wanted to keep eating. You would think that I would have realized this decades ago, but I thought it was more physical than mental.

• Love 8

Just a word about carbs and diabetes. You don't get diabetes from eating carbs/sugar. It's a complex disease that also has a genetic component. Diabetes runs in my family just as cancer or heart disease runs in other families. Many obese people do not have diabetes; it's not just a food issue.

Many, many people use a high carb vegan diet to control diabetes. See the works of Drs John McDougall, Neal Barnard, Caldwell Esselstyn, his son Rip, and others. Their work includes peer reviewed research in the scientific literature. The issue is carbs and fats. So, what you don't want is manufactured food. Pop tarts, not so good. Baked potato, perfectly fine. Go low fat and you can eat the carbs and control the diabetes. Recently, even the man who created the glycemic index (which some diabetics use for dietary control) suggested that folks go vegan as a better way for control and general health.

I am find it interesting to see and read of different people's experiences with bariatric surgery. When they first started these shows, you'd think that it was the answer for everything. I didn't even know that you could gain weight back after the surgery. Now you see the psychological and physical problems that may occur, the difficulties some people have even with foods they are supposed to eat. It's fascinating.  I realize that at 600 lbs maybe there's no other choice but the surgery, but boy, I wish some of these folks would try going mostly low fat vegan (I'd allow eggs, but that's me). Shoot, there are out patient hospital programs with food like Jenny Craig that are quite successful. Why don't they try something like that before rewiring themselves - or, at 600 lbs, are you just too far gone to save yourself with a dietary change? 

• Love 3

Bettie Jo is going to have to have some serious will power to make it, based on what we've seen.  The meal her family served on the trip home was either ignorance  or malicious but there was almost nothing on that table she could (or should) eat.  Her husband, while he didn't reach Gareth levels, appeared to be trying to sabotage her early on.  She said in therapy that he only bought food that was bad for her. 

I'm also 5'2 and am on a high protein/low carb diet. I wasn't anywhere near 600 pounds but my doctor recommended I have the surgery.  I declined and asked for the meds instead.  In just over 2 years I lost 120 pounds and no one around me changed a single thing about their eating habits.  I was surrounded by people who ate pizza and fried chicken all the time.  It didn't (and still doesn't) bother me.  I know I'm lucky though.  I thought I'd struggle with it. When my co-workers brought me a giant cookie for my birthday last year, I thanked them, happily cut it up and passed it out to everyone and smiled while they enjoyed it...didn't even taste the frosting myself and it honestly didn't upset me.

I didn't say all of that for any reason except to say, Bettie Jo, and all of the others on this journey, are still going to be confronted with foods they shouldn't eat.   I see a lot of comments about how 'rude' it is for someone to eat unhealthy food around the one trying to lose weight.  I never thought so, for me anyway.  It was something I had to learn to deal with.  Just because I was on a diet, didn't mean everyone else had to.  I was losing the weight for me, and I didn't think any less of people if they didn't change their own eating habits to accommodate me. 

As soon as Bettie Jo was physically able to go shopping for herself, she should have been with her husband at the grocery store, adding doctor approved foods to the cart. If he wanted a hotdog, fine..she can still have her own healthy options.

• Love 16

She is a very sweet and kind person- what change from those bitches Penny and Pauline! I could not understand why Dr. Now and the therapist didn't tell him that she still NEEDS you to help her stick to the diet! He only wanted to help her if she was totally immobile? It was strange how proud she was at 500 pounds. I think she felt really skinny went to show her family- look at me from 650 to 500! So sad because she has such a good heart. 

• Love 2

Maybe because she was so short, but honestly, I didn't see much of a difference in Bettie Jo's size after she lost 100 lbs. If she needed or wanted to see her family, that's great, but her weight loss, while an achievement, was hardly noticeable. 

As far as others around you eating whatever they want. No, the world doesn't have to diet just because you are on a diet. That said, in your own household, it is far easier to lose weight if everyone in the house is eating the same thing. So if you visit out of town  relatives, should they have to nix the fried chicken? No. But your spouse or SO, if they want to give every opportunity for their obese partner to succeed, especially when most of them are self proclaimed food addicts, I do not see why the partner wouldn't go all in by changing the eating habits for the household.If they have to get a burger and fries, then do it out on their own. It's almost like they either don't see it or are trying to sabotage, maybe without even realizing it. 

• Love 1

I've heard that a lot of people that have weight loss surgery end up having drinking problems. I'm assuming because they never addressed the issues that caused them to overeat in the first place, so they replace the food with booze.

That is absolutely true Cranky One. I have also had weight loss surgery (sleeve gastrectomy) and one of the things my pre-surgical program stressed was the danger of developing transfer addictions -- it isn't just alcohol, but things like drugs, gambling, and shopping can be adopted as ways to deal with negative emotions or life turmoil instead of food.

I know this show has to leave out a lot of what post (and pre) bariatric surgery programs are like, but it's still kind of frustrating to watch sometimes. My dietician would have horsewhipped me if I had been eating hamburger helper (or Raisin Bran) a month after surgery -- or ever. In my program, high protein and low carb is basically a lifetime commitment.

• Love 4

I agree that just because you're on a diet, doesn't mean that everyone around has to watch watch they eat/serve.

I agree with this, BUT, when she came home to visit family, it seemed incredibly short-sighted and unkind of them to put together this huge spread of unhealthy foods and then plop her down in front of it. They had not seen her for a year. They seem to love her and care for her. The whole reason she had been gone for a year was to work on her weight and health. And so you see her, hug her, and offer up some fried chicken?

I am really rooting for Bettie Jo because she seems to have a kind heart. I hope she succeeds. 

• Love 7

I agree with this, BUT, when she came home to visit family, it seemed incredibly short-sighted and unkind of them to put together this huge spread of unhealthy foods and then plop her down in front of it. They had not seen her for a year. They seem to love her and care for her. The whole reason she had been gone for a year was to work on her weight and health. And so you see her, hug her, and offer up some fried chicken?

I'm torn about whether the huge spread of unhealthy food was a production decision (to up the drama), or just general ignorance about what constitutes healthy food. I tend to think it's ignorance. When I grocery shop, the only "processed" foods I buy are canned tomatoes and beans, and frozen green peas. But I do love cooking healthy from scratch, so shopping for raw ingredients is a no-brainer for me. I imagine many, many people buy ready-made meals and other convenience products because processed-food companies seem to have been thriving for many decades. So, the unhealthy spread was likely a typical dinner that this family would not have deemed unkind or inconsiderate.

Anyway, I'm in the 'eat-whatever-you-want-in-front-of-me' camp. If you're trying to lose weight, or quit smoking, or quit drinking, or whatever ... you're better off learning how to live your life among people who continue to live their life as they wish to live it. No need for the world to change for you. I say this as someone who has both quit smoking, and been on plenty of diets in her lifetime.

Edited by deedee2
  • Love 2

I am really rooting for Bettie Jo because she seems to have a kind heart. I hope she succeeds. 

Exactly this. This was a special visit. If they saw her every day, ok then I understnd not changing your meal plan to suit her needs etc. But this was special. 

• Love 4

I really liked Bettie Jo. She seemed sweet and very interested in making a significant change in her life as opposed to lying and blaming everyone around her. Even though she was a heavy child, I do think she started really putting on weight to essentially protect herself after she was sexually assaulted. Some girls/women do that as a way to make themselves unattractive and undesirable. She actually described it as a self-defense mechanism. And she was likely using food as a comfort measure as well. Food tastes good, makes you feel good and isn't going to hurt you. The foods they were shown eating - Hamburger Helper, mac and cheese, chicken nuggets - cheap junk but probably more affordable and enjoyable than baked chicken and salad. 

The relationship with her husband definitely had a feeder/gainer vibe, especially with him saying that he was worried that, once she lost weight, she wouldn't need him anymore. They both seemed very damaged and in need of both individual and couples therapy.  

I'm pulling for  them though. 

• Love 1

Bettie Jo is going to have to have some serious will power to make it, based on what we've seen.  The meal her family served on the trip home was either ignorance  or malicious but there was almost nothing on that table she could (or should) eat.  Her husband, while he didn't reach Gareth levels, appeared to be trying to sabotage her early on.  She said in therapy that he only bought food that was bad for her. 

I'm also 5'2 and am on a high protein/low carb diet. I wasn't anywhere near 600 pounds but my doctor recommended I have the surgery.  I declined and asked for the meds instead.  In just over 2 years I lost 120 pounds and no one around me changed a single thing about their eating habits.  I was surrounded by people who ate pizza and fried chicken all the time.  It didn't (and still doesn't) bother me.  I know I'm lucky though.  I thought I'd struggle with it. When my co-workers brought me a giant cookie for my birthday last year, I thanked them, happily cut it up and passed it out to everyone and smiled while they enjoyed it...didn't even taste the frosting myself and it honestly didn't upset me.

I didn't say all of that for any reason except to say, Bettie Jo, and all of the others on this journey, are still going to be confronted with foods they shouldn't eat.   I see a lot of comments about how 'rude' it is for someone to eat unhealthy food around the one trying to lose weight.  I never thought so, for me anyway.  It was something I had to learn to deal with.  Just because I was on a diet, didn't mean everyone else had to.  I was losing the weight for me, and I didn't think any less of people if they didn't change their own eating habits to accommodate me. 

As soon as Bettie Jo was physically able to go shopping for herself, she should have been with her husband at the grocery store, adding doctor approved foods to the cart. If he wanted a hotdog, fine..she can still have her own healthy options.

You made some very insightful points and I think your attitude should be bottled and passed out!

I am adding that many people, dieters or not, obese and otherwise are unaware of how unhealthily they eat. It's clear the people on this show do not understand nutrition because if they did they would never fear hunger again. Eating less of a boxed macaroni meal along with a smaller fizzy drink is not being diet conscience. Even with the patients who lost their weight the foods were borderline. No one mentions organic, fresh, farmer's markets, etc. They all head to Mega Mart and start pulling things off shelves indiscriminately. 

I have a younger cousin who is barely 21 and weighs nearly 400 pounds. He's about 5'4. He proudly proclaims that he doesn't eat old fashioned food. Yet, he just came from the hospital where they issued him three breathing tools. If he sits for more than 5 minutes he falls asleep no matter where he is. Suggesting that he lose weight gets no response. But here's a clue... when he was in high school he would get up from bed at one or two in the morning, bake a cake, eat it and go back to bed. He would oversleep and then call my uncle to come and give him a ride to school. His mom. dad. grandmother and grandfather never ever told him not to do this! 

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Love 3

You made some very insightful points and I think your attitude should be bottled and passed out!

I am adding that many people, dieters or not, obese and otherwise are unaware of how unhealthily they eat. It's clear the people on this show do not understand nutrition because if they did they would never fear hunger again. Eating less of a boxed macaroni meal along with a smaller fizzy drink is not being diet conscience. Even with the patients who lost their weight the foods were borderline. No one mentions organic, fresh, farmer's markets, etc. They all head to Mega Mart and start pulling things off shelves indiscriminately. 

I have a younger cousin who is barely 21 and weighs nearly 400 pounds. He's about 5'4. He proudly proclaims that he doesn't eat old fashioned food. Yet, he just came from the hospital where they issued him three breathing tools. If he sits for more than 5 minutes he falls asleep no matter where he is. Suggesting that he lose weight gets no response. But here's a clue... when he was in high school he would get up from bed at one or two in the morning, bake a cake, eat it and go back to bed. He would oversleep and then call my uncle to come and give him a ride to school. His mom. dad. grandmother and grandfather never ever told him not to do this! 

I love the other poster who said a person trying to lose weight does have to "deal" with their own behavior when being around others.  We cannot expect other people to modify, its unrealistic. Part of the lifestyle change IS to learn how to stick with what is good for them and then deal with it. 

Ethalfrida,    You are so right about the macaroni and fizzy drink example. It does most certainly matter. It makes all the difference in the world to learn what is good food and what is not.

I had a buddy who was so ignorant about food. She was complaining about slow weight loss to no loss at all.    I had reached my goals and exceeded them when I added exercise.    All the while she was complaining she was eating a bologna white bread sandwich with mayo.    When the group of us suggested this wasnt a good choice, she claimed it was.     

• Love 1

Maybe because she was so short, but honestly, I didn't see much of a difference in Bettie Jo's size after she lost 100 lbs. If she needed or wanted to see her family, that's great, but her weight loss, while an achievement, was hardly noticeable. 

As far as others around you eating whatever they want. No, the world doesn't have to diet just because you are on a diet. That said, in your own household, it is far easier to lose weight if everyone in the house is eating the same thing. So if you visit out of town  relatives, should they have to nix the fried chicken? No. But your spouse or SO, if they want to give every opportunity for their obese partner to succeed, especially when most of them are self proclaimed food addicts, I do not see why the partner wouldn't go all in by changing the eating habits for the household.If they have to get a burger and fries, then do it out on their own. It's almost like they either don't see it or are trying to sabotage, maybe without even realizing it. 

I agree 100%! Hamburger helper and Raisin Bran is good for NO ONE. Her husband may be skinny, but doesn't look very healthy either...garbage in garbage out.  He needs to eat better almost as much as she does.

• Love 3

Just a word about carbs and diabetes. You don't get diabetes from eating carbs/sugar. It's a complex disease that also has a genetic component. 

I'm not so sure about it ALWAYS having a genetic component. My younger sister and I both have T2 diabetes, Dx'd in our 50's, and nobody else in our immediate or extended family is or was diabetic. We both enjoyed drinking, however, I no longer drink. Sis still does and has a more difficult time keeping her diabetes under control.

And you know what? If they use lettuce as the bun and bake patty and add tomato, avocado and mustard, That's a healthy and filling version. I also found a recipe for the most delicious baked fries that taste just like MD's. It would help them so much of nutrition education was a part. But most of the time, like on the Biggest Loser, it is just product placement and many chemical-laden products are promoted.

In high school (back in the day) we were taught that diabetes did not come from eating sweets but from eating things like canned, starchy foods like peas, etc. I remember it well because I discussed it with my family. My mom had it and didn't eat sweets at all but my dad didn't and had the biggest sweet tooth ever. So, it seems it may still be a mystery as to what causes it...

And you know what? If they use lettuce as the bun and bake patty and add tomato, avocado and mustard, That's a healthy and filling version. I also found a recipe for the most delicious baked fries that taste just like MD's. It would help them so much of nutrition education was a part. But most of the time, like on the Biggest Loser, it is just product placement and many chemical-laden products are promoted.

In high school (back in the day) we were taught that diabetes did not come from eating sweets but from eating things like canned, starchy foods like peas, etc. I remember it well because I discussed it with my family. My mom had it and didn't eat sweets at all but my dad didn't and had the biggest sweet tooth ever. So, it seems it may still be a mystery as to what causes it...

I would love that baked potatoe recipe, if you don't mind.

• Love 2

For me, about five years ago, I overhauled my diet, because adult-onset diabetes runs in the family and my bloodwork was coming back problematic.  And I don't count calories or even really restrict how much fat vs. carbs vs. protein I eat.  But I do restrict what I eat.  I don't have any added sugar in my food (if it's already in there, like caramalized onions or fruit, I'll eat that).  I don't use saturated fats.  When I do eat grains, I use whole grains instead of refined grains.  Because sugar or HCFS gets added to everything, I've ended up making almost all my own food from scratch (even salad dressing, ketchup, etc.).   So, that's my default diet.

But, when I do eat out (like at a friend's party or something), I don't really worry about what I'm eating.  And I've noticed that when I don't follow my normal diet, I end up hungry much more quickly then when I do follow my normal diet.  I can make a soup with vegetables and shiritaki noodles at lunch, and I will not even feel hungry by dinner time.  But if I have a scoop of ice cream, I'm hungry an hour later.  So, for me, reducing portion size wouldn't work.  It wouldn't help just to eat a smaller serving of macaroni and cheese, because I'd be fighting off hunger pangs a few hours later.  YMMV, of course.

• Love 4

We cannot expect other people to modify, its unrealistic. Part of the lifestyle change IS to learn how to stick with what is good for them and then deal with it.

Fair enough, but what we saw appeared to be a "welcome home" meal in honor of Bettie Jo. If I have a family member returning home from alcohol rehab -- where he went because he was at death's door -- I am not going to cover the table with wine and beer. It won't kill me to serve iced tea with that one dinner, and it wouldn't have killed Bettie Jo's family to hold off on the fried chicken. They were jackasses, in my opinion.

• Love 15
(edited)

I'm not so sure about it ALWAYS having a genetic component. 

True. I didn't mean to imply that it did. I meant that people aren't always diabetic because they eat a lot of ice cream, cake, and soda. If one only reads the popular press, one might be led to think that diabetes was the individual's fault, when that isn't always the case.

Personally, I was surprised to learn that most morbidly obese are not diabetic. I read that diabetes might actually be a blessing for some, in that, if they control their disease, they avoid the morbid obesity path they were on. When there's no 'wake up call' from disease, people who are prone to obesity just keep getting obese. It's interesting, really.

As far as sticking to your food plan, no matter what is in front of you, that reminded me of someone I knew who was in AA. I've never been much of a drinker and don't drink at all now, but not drinking never stopped me from going to a bar with music because I went for the music or the company of friends. The person swore up and down that it would be impossible to go to a bar and not drink and I couldn't convince him otherwise - but he had the perspective of an alcoholic. For me, I could easily go anywhere alcohol was served and not give it a thought. It must be awful for food addicts because you don't have to go to a bar, but you do have to eat and food is everywhere. 

Edited by aliya
  • Love 5

Fair enough, but what we saw appeared to be a "welcome home" meal in honor of Bettie Jo. If I have a family member returning home from alcohol rehab -- where he went because he was at death's door -- I am not going to cover the table with wine and beer. It won't kill me to serve iced tea with that one dinner, and it wouldn't have killed Bettie Jo's family to hold off on the fried chicken. They were jackasses, in my opinion.

I agree with this.  That dinner was hideous. What I meant is that in an everyday life scenario people will have to learn how to adjust.   

I think this particular family could of and should of made a nice meal.   I have a feeling though, this is all they know. The kind of people who think eating a smaller portion of all that stuff is ok, which of course it isnt.

• Love 3
(edited)

I agree.  I expected to see more of the loss in her face if not her body.  Did we ever see her Mom or Dad?  And - as much as she was more likable than the previous "P" women - I think if she loses the weight and gets the skin surgery - she will leave Geof the Giraff to forget who she used ro be.  Every time she said she "loved him" it sounded forced - as if she was supposed ro love the caretaker to justify using him.

Edited by Grasonville
  • Love 1
(edited)

I am on a weight loss journey. My husband's family had a birthday/retirement party last night or one of the aunts. The theme was Italian. I didn't expect them to change their menu for me, but, they did set aside some salad before they added their dressing so I could use my approved one. Was it hard? Oh yes, I sat in front of a chocolate cake and just imagined how good it was going to be. But, they knew I was on a journey and helped me keep my willpower. I had 2 bites of the stuffed shells and that's all I ate that was bad. I think it takes willpower and I'm not sure if Bettie Jo had it at this point. 

However, difference between me and Bettie Jo. Her family knew she was coming home during a HUGE weight loss journey and should have eaten a little lighter in respect. The party I went to was based on the special person's request and I was expecting the food to be there so had planned accordingly, even asking the hostess to set some salad apart for me. 

I think that Bettie Jo is going to get there. She seemed to develop more and more inner strength as the show went on. I look forward to a 2nd year special on her. She and hubby need seriously (non televised) marriage counseling. That one shot deal was not enough. As her weight goes down, intimacy will become an issue and they don't seem to be on the same page yet as to what they are each ready for. They need to realize together that as her weight comes down she will begin to rely on him in other ways. He can be an emotional caregiver instead of a physical one. Right now, he should be focusing on that. Encourage her. Talk about all the things you will be able to do together once the weight is off. Imagine all those dates you missed and thought were never to be. Dream big and start reaching for them pound by pound. 

Edited by Mom2twoNonna2one
  • Love 2

What bothered me about the welcome home dinner of fried everything was her cousin sitting there eating all that stuff--wasn't this the same cousin who came to Bettie Jo's apartment and was judging her for eating the chicken nuggets and the mac and cheese?  She of all people should have at least offered something baked or broiled for Bettie Jo's return.  

• Love 5

What bothered me about the welcome home dinner of fried everything was her cousin sitting there eating all that stuff--wasn't this the same cousin who came to Bettie Jo's apartment and was judging her for eating the chicken nuggets and the mac and cheese?  She of all people should have at least offered something baked or broiled for Bettie Jo's return.  

Yup, it was. I am still amazed that they did this scene at midnight. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Regarding the raisin bran, I asked a friend who is a dietician her opinion. In an otherwise healthy, active, normal weight individual w/good blood test #s an occassional reasonably sized bowl of raisin bran is fine. For someone like Bettie Jo, not so much.

I can just imagine Dr. Now saying, 'Raisin bran is not a part of your diet plan when you weigh 600 pound'

Edited by lulu69
  • Love 6

And the thing about boxed cereals is that they are so high in calories for such small portions. And they are high in sugar even the plain variety like Cheerios, Corn Flakes. Look at the order of ingredients listed under nutrition. I've even written to companies asking why sugar had to be added because mature, nutrition-conscience adults do not need the sweetener to make the product edible. The company answered that it was for taste. Sigh .... 

• Love 2