Type keyword(s) to search

S30: Dan Foley

Donny Ketchum
  • Start Topic

I love how Dan was suck a dick to Gordon Holmes and RobC that they have both commentated on his exit interviews today, which they dont normally do.

In all of the interviews I've listened to, you can practically hear the host willing himself to keep it professional and polite. 

• Love 1

Dan got a bit indignant in his Dalton Ross interview too, and told Dalton what he could and couldn't ask him about. Some people complained in the comments that he let Dan dictate how to conduct his interview, Dalton defended himself in the comments and said that Dan did not dictate anything to him. 

(edited)

Wait, so Dan purposely lost his underwear?  I guess he wanted to "be remembered"  Yuck.  And I guess it got him a lot of attention from the other contestants.  Oh that Dan, he's the big loveable guy who lost his underwear, I feel so bad for him.  Yuck.

I am not at all looking forward to Dan's final question.  Especially if Mike is in final 3.  "Mike.  [pregnant pause]  During the [pause] Food.  Auction.  We were given an opportunity.  An OPPORTUNITY.  to purchase a letter from a loved one.  OUR (jazz hands, tapping on chest) loved ones.  [pause]  That meant a lot to me.  [pause]  It meant a lot to ALL of us. [p a u s e]  AND YET.  [pause] you almost cost us.  Those letters.  [pause]  So now.  [pause]  I ask you this.  I have one.  SIMPLE. question for you.  And my question [pause].  Is this.  WHY.  You gave ME.  [pause]  your word.  [pause]  YOUR.  Word.  And then.  You went back.  on that word.  I had to beg.  I had to beg you.  To let me get that letter. [pause]  How can you now sit there.  And ask me.  ME.  [pause]  Me.  The person that you wanted to deny that letter to. [pause]  To now ask me ----"

Jeff:  "I'm sorry Dan, questions are supposed to only take a minute.  Yours has gone on for five so I'm going to ask you to sit down."

He didn't even lose them, according to Tyler.  Tyler claims he found them in his bag when he was searching for his advantage.  So that's what he lied about.  I guess he needed a story to tell.

I can totally see that scenario playing out at TC if Mike makes it to the end.  The others in the jury will probably start booing Dan to sit down.  They all like Mike (except maybe Tyler, though I know they are friends outside the game now).  It seemed like they were all annoyed with Dan's ramblings about Mike during Ponderosa, so I doubt they will be swayed by his grand standing.  I feel like that will be the final dig for the hole he's created for himself, is his final TC speech.  Everything he claims he wanted to do or was going to do, TPTB have shown him in the opposite light.  They must have really enjoyed messing with him on that.  There's the people that you can't outwit.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2
(edited)

What is all this "I'm the fat guy" stuff in the interviews, and about not being picked for teams in school, supposed to signify?  That he has overcome hardships almost as horrible as his having been *gasp* adopted?  

Ha, he was even beat out in the "fat guy picked last for teams" department, since Will is also a bigger fellow and in that one challenge he was not picked and Dan was?  Dan's not the super-est superfan, and he's not the fattest left-out-est fat guy.  Ha.

But seriously, I don't know why he brings it up--he's trying to make a point with it but he never follows through to any kind of conclusion (logical or not).  I'm not really sure what he's getting at.

For the record, I was the fat girl always picked last, and it does sting and affect one's self-image, so I'm not diminishing that experience in general, just truly baffled by Dan.  It's one of his talking points, but why?

Edited by Jobiska
  • Love 11
(edited)

Yeah, Jobiska, that's been befuddling me, too.  They ask about how he feels his edit wasn't fair, or about what strategy he wishes they'd shown, and he launches into "I get it, I'm the fat guy, I wasn't picked for teams in school, I was bullied!"  It's like he's reading from prepared talking points.

ETA:  The reddit linked upthread is really interesting.  Someone took the trouble to cobble together Dan's nearly identical responses in like half a dozen interviews.

Edited by Special K
  • Love 4

I think he originally tried his comparison to being adopted to Shirin being abused, and that clearly didn't fly and he knew it by now.  Now he's trying out a new comparison to Shirin being abused with his fat guy story.  I think he thinks maybe this story will work.  And, along the way, he makes sure to question whether Shirin was really abused..."if that happened". 

It is all just a little sad. 

• Love 6

Because it can't be said enough. Dan . . . .

". . is a drama queen, is a two-faced liar. He LOOOOOOVES to play the victim. For Dan to say that Mike and Shirin are worse than him, that's hypocritical."

• Love 6

Dan is delusional. Overbearingly delusional.

The one that had me laughing was when he said that he was "self aware." Yet, he didn't learn anything about himself. He may be the only person on survivor who didn't. Even Coach learned some things. Well, maybe Russell didn't . So, no, Dan. You are not a hero although I'm sure your wife will tell you that you are.

• Love 5

Sounds to me like he got a HUGE break on editiing -- we didn't see him blubering after being away from his wife for a week (all heros blubber right?), we didn't see him get insulted by his teammates when they pointed out truths about his abilities and now we learn we didn't get to see him having a vulgar meltdown.

Poor Shakepearean Dan -- edited as Malvolio when all along he was Romeo.

Act III, Scene iii

Nurse O holy friar, O, tell me, holy friar,

Where is my lady's lord, where's Romeo?

FRIAR LAURENCE There on the ground, with his own tears made drunk.

Nurse O, he is even in my mistress' case,

Just in her case! O woful sympathy!

Piteous predicament! Even so lies she,

Blubbering and weeping, weeping and blubbering.

• Love 2
(edited)

SpecialK:ETA:  The reddit linked upthread is really interesting.  Someone took the trouble to cobble together Dan's nearly identical responses in like half a dozen interviews.

Agreed, it's an interesting discussion generally and as for the Dan interview quote anthology, it's quite astounding:

Dansplaining the Shirin incident:

People.com

"Look, there's not a single person on this season who didn't say derogatory things about Shirin. Even Mike called her a man-hater. I made an unfortunate comment about slapping her. I had no idea about her past. None. Zero. I would never have made that comment. I apologize for saying it. But at the same time, my comment was not meant literally. I meant it figuratively. How many times do you hear people say, "I could kill him." Are they really plotting to kill someone? Of course not."

CBS.com

"First and foremost, I had no idea that there was any type of domestic violence in her past. None. Zero. I would never have made that comment if I did. And I feel terrible about that. That’s the God’s honest truth. Now, my comment? Come on. The fact that people took me literally is foolishness. How many times have you heard somebody say, “God, I could just kill this person!” You think they go home and plot murder? It was a metaphor. And I was not alone. Every single person on our season said derogatory things about Shirin. Even Mike called her a “man-hater.”"

EW.com

“The first thing I will tell you is that I had no idea that Shirin had domestic abuse in her past. I had no idea. That wasn’t shared and she didn’t say anything. I didn’t know. Had I known, I never would have chosen those words. You know something, how many times have you said or anybody else out there in the world has said, ‘God I could just kill this person’? Do you go home and plot murder? It’s an expression, people! Get a grip! There wasn’t a single person on the entire season that didn’t say derogatory things about Shirin.”

RealityTVMagazine.com

"I had no idea that this woman had domestic violence in her past. None. Zero. I would have never made that comment had I known. But in my own defense, I only said it as an expression. I wasn’t trying to promote violence against anybody. There wasn’t a single person all season that didn’t have something derogatory to say about Shirin. Even Mike said she’s a man hater."

Parade.com

"It was meant metaphorically. I was not promoting violence against women. I was not trying to promote violence against anybody. There wasn’t a single person all season who didn’t have something derogatory to say about Shirin. Even Mike called her a “man-hater.” I meant it metaphorically. I had no idea about her past. None. Zero. And how could I? How many times have people said, “God, I could just kill that person.” Do they go home and plot murder? No. Of course not."

Goldderby

"I had no idea that Shirin had domestic violence in her past. I had no idea. And my comment was meant metaphorically. It was not meant literally. I was not promoting violence against men or women or children or dogs or anybody for that matter. I mean it's no difference than somebody saying 'God I could kill this person!' Do you go home and plot murder? It's an expression."                                                                                                     ...And he wonders why people believe he's putting on a performance. No clue at all. None. Zero.

I'm not sure I would even be ABLE to remember a canned speech like that, if I had to deliver it in a series of interviews.  This is clearly a guy who knows how to rehearse!

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 6

Is it possible that these are all actually from one shared interview? I know that happens sometimes where media outlets do one big conference call, and journalists edit the quotes slightly differently.

Dan mentioned in one his interviews he was asked to do SJDS last season, but didn't have anyone willing to do it with him.  Tyler also said he was asked to participate last season, but also had issues finding a loved one to compete with.  In  one of Dan's interviews, he said Rodney and his dad were slated to compete but were cut.  And we know So and her sister were cast but had to pull out at the last minute. So there's 4 contestants this season we might have been spared this time had it worked out for them last season.  Suddenly this season seems like it could have been so much better.

• Love 1

Dan mentioned in one his interviews he was asked to do SJDS last season, but didn't have anyone willing to do it with him. 

Could you imagine the kind of mincemeat the Twinnies would have made of Dan!?!

On another matter that has been bugging me:  Dan's constant harping on "superfans can't do math."  I hate when people on Survivor call basic counting "math." It would be like calling reciting the alphabet "writing."

• Love 8

I was just thinking about the comment that Mike made to Dan a few episodes back. Dan had apparently told Mike that they could not allow Rodney to make it to the finals because Rodney was so awful.

This makes me think that Dan could potentially be very pissed because Dan thought that Rodney was so awful and sexist and that little of that was shown. Yes, we have seen Rodney's statements and his behavior but he comes off as a sexist meathead while Dan's entire season leads to a the overall portrayal is that of a sexist blowhard who is delusional.

Dan sees himself as a hero and Rodney as a villain and that is not what is being portrayed. In reality, Rodney is not exactly loved but not seen as bad as Dan and that has to honk Dan off.

• Love 2

Dan sees himself as a hero and Rodney as a villain and that is not what is being portrayed. In reality, Rodney is not exactly loved but not seen as bad as Dan and that has to honk Dan off.

Also, Rodney has had moments of being genuinely entertaining. His campfire impressions of Mike and Dan made me laugh out loud and rewind the DVR for a rewatch, as opposed to whatever well-rehearsed slapstick routine Dan had obviously been preparing for months. It fills me with glee to think of the editors taking a scissor to all of Dan's 'aren't loveable?!' antics, just for the hell of it.

• Love 7

I think the editing is just all whack this season.  I don't know that I believe people got a worse edit than they thought they deserved, but I do think some people got really lucky with their edit.  And it's made little sense in watching, the logic in some of the votes and strategy (what little we've seen of it).

• Love 3

I didn't like Dan with or without his edit. Where I really have the problem with him is in his exit interviews. He is so arrogant and so unaware how he comes off. He keeps using the excuse when people push he pushes back. Unfortunately, he makes himself look worse and even less likable.im glad he is gone either way and didn't get a hero edit.

• Love 4

I just don't think, even taking away all the crap that he spewed about women and math and flippers, that he would have been likable.  Either way he wasn't going to be a hero.  I agree with those that believe he fancied himself a Rupert.  The fat guy who was teased in life emerges as the ultimate fan favorite hero.  And he could add that he'd be waiting for 15 years to get on this show.  I'm still amazed he and Tyler considered themselves heroes, in the game taking out villains.  Given all the crap Dan has spewed towards Jeff and CBS, I think it's safe to say he won't be coming back again. 

I remember during Amazon, Heidi and Jenna came under a lot of backlash for how they acted out there, especially towards Christy.  After the show, Heidi didn't really make any apologies for her actions.  But Jenna seemed to own it and say she was still young and had a lot of growing up to do.  I appreciate contestants that can come out more self aware.  I think Dan, Tyler, and probably Will just won't want to admit they were wrong or that there's anything wrong with them.  It probably doesn't help that one of the main people they are taking backlash over is someone at least two of them couldn't stand and have no ties to outside the game.

• Love 1

Given all the crap Dan has spewed towards Jeff and CBS, I think it's safe to say he won't be coming back again. 

Yeah, he certainly hasn't had any problems dissing CBS and talking about how it "did him dirty."  TPTB like controversial "characters," sure, but I don't think they like being blamed -- I'm surprised he isn't contractually forbidden to cast aspersions on the production like he is.  In any event, I'm guessing that CBS and JP won't be using any  kid gloves on him at the Reunion.

• Love 6

This is just going to be such a bad reunion. 

Which is why the second chance reveal is going to take up a huge chunk of time.  TPTB saw the outcome of this ending badly a mile away.  I say they give this current crop 20 minutes, tops, including talking with the winner and hashing out the drama.  Then they flip to talking with former castaways in the audience and revealing the voting.  I won't be surprised if the second chance vote has a bigger celebration feel than revealing the winner.

• Love 3

You know Dan is just dying to use the Reunion as a showcase for his Nicholas-Sparks-style love for his wife.

I've only read one Sparks bk in my life but I am pretty sure when someone refers to N. Sparks, it means one of them dies in the end. So does that mean Mike really killed Mrs. Dan? Literally killed, not Dan-type metaphorically killed.

• Love 3

Maybe we're being too hard on Dan.  Here are definitions of "hero" . . . he is pretty close to #6.

1.  a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.
2.  a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal:  He was a local hero when he saved the drowning child.
3.  the principal male character in a story, play, film, etc.
4.  Classical Mythology.

a being of godlike prowess and beneficence who often came to be honored as a divinity.
    (in the Homeric period) a warrior-chieftain of special strength, courage, or ability.
    (in later antiquity) an immortal being; demigod.

5.  hero sandwich.
6.  the bread or roll used in making a hero sandwich.

• Love 13

Was Dan ever asked in his exit interviews if the manties story was made up or not? I could have sworn someone else said Dan had made up the story. That would have been another nail in his coffin in my book. I think he made it up for camera time since it wasn't even shown. Him being a hero and all I just assumed he would be telling the truth. <sarcasm>

• Love 2

Yeah, even the best Survivor Reunions are only marginably watchable.

I agree...get ready to cringe extra-hard and extra-often during this one.

You know Dan has been practicing his reunion sound-bites for weeks now.  My eternal hope is that Probst doesn't let him speak at all.  There's always one or two jurors who don't get to do anything but "sit there and look pretty."  PLEASE let it be Dan this time!  And maybe Tyler.

• Love 2

Maybe we're being too hard on Dan.  Here are definitions of "hero" . . . he is pretty close to #6.

1.  a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.

2.  a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal:  He was a local hero when he saved the drowning child.

3.  the principal male character in a story, play, film, etc.

4.  Classical Mythology.

a being of godlike prowess and beneficence who often came to be honored as a divinity.

(in the Homeric period) a warrior-chieftain of special strength, courage, or ability.

(in later antiquity) an immortal being; demigod.

5.  hero sandwich.

6.  the bread or roll used in making a hero sandwich.

I dunno, I think he comes to mind when I read #4.  :)

• Love 2

The best description I've seen of Dan is that he's like Michael Scott from The Office. It's so true that I think it just ruined The Office for me. Dan really does suck at life.

And he sucks the life out of life.

I remember the merge episode when someone (Sierra?) said that Dan had repeated the lost panties story to each and every new person. That was bad enough when we thought the story was true. It's just mind boggling that Dan, probably while he was still at home, invented a story to tell everyone, that forces them all to picture him taking a dump in the ocean. He thought that would endear him to people.

Maybe Dan is #3. The hero in the story he has written about himself. The horrible disgusting story we all wish we could bleach from our brains.

• Love 4
(edited)

If Dan taught us anything this season, it is this: do not piss off Probst.  He got the worst of it, but frankly, Rodney, Will, and even Mike had equally bad moments.  Okay, maybe not so much Mike, but he was pretty sexist in the beginning.  I do think he got thrown under the bus, which should have also been thrown under Will and Rodney.  They didn't even show the worst of the Will and Shirin drama.  And then Will's wife yelling in the audience.  Very awkward reunion.  They need to fire whoever is in charge of casting.  Horrible choices this year, and all the drama caused eclipsed everything else.  Even poor Dan was trying not to let the season go out on a negative note.  With it being the shows 30th, I wish it could have been more festive.  I loved the excitement of the S31 reveal, but that took up so much time.  I wish they had done that throughout the finale, and then filled the last spots after Mike was announced the winner since he would have been ineligible.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

I love that Dan had his rehearsed, scripted replies to why his "edit" was bad and Probst shot him down.  "So you're saying there are circumstances when it's okay to promote slapping a woman?"  The best was pulling the footage of Dan calling Rodney's mother a whore to give the context.  It completely contradicted everything Dan has been claiming in his interviews.  Jeff even made fun of Dan's stupid shirt.

I also loved watching Dan freak out that Mike had won every immunity challenge.  It drove him crazy.  And, in the end, after Dan asked his classic "you suck" question Mike throws out an apology and Dan completely buys into it.  Dan wanted to be an iconic Survivor character and he succeeded - he was the bitter, delusional juror.

• Love 11

Dan is this show's biggest attention hoor EVER.  Laughing out loud during final tribal council.  Speaking when Shirin was giving her "dead fish" analogy.  Banging his stupid head against the desk while trying to decide who to vote for.  Survivor is DAN'S SHOW and the rest of us get to watch him run it!  Watch Dan act a condescending ass to all the women!  Watch Dan produce "clever" sound-bites!  Watch Dan shake his man-boobs!  Watch Dan roll his eyes as hard and pointedly as he can (having practiced in the Ponderosa mirror)!  Watch Dan try to backtrack against the fury of Probst!  Gosh, but I am so glad he's gone.  May he NEVER be invited back.  EVER.  I'd like to think that he pissed off Probst so much that Dan will never, ever get the chance to "redeem" himself.

• Love 10
(edited)

Dan's such an idiot.  Acting all morally superior to Mike when he talked out of the side of his mouth the whole time he was in the game.  So all Mike does is stroke Dan's ego by throwing out an apology and Dan eats it right up.  Sure Mike wants to be his friend after the show.  About as much as he wants to get crabs.  I knew a guy like Dan once, that is one kind of friend you don't ever want.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 9
(edited)

And, Mail Escort. I don't even think he would get killed for that. Yup! He isn't very self aware.

But...it's a joke...because he's a mailman. He escorts mail...to mailboxes.

The "your mother's a whore" comment was definitely offensive, but I would have liked for Jeff to bring up how patronizing he was to Sierra with his "make the little woman think she's right" comments. I can't even put into words how frustrating it is to try to calmly and rationally explain my feelings to a man, and then get condescending baby talk or PMS jokes in return.

Edited because I know which "your" to use!

Edited by truelovekiss
  • Love 8

I found the whore joke to be pretty inoffensive only because there is a whole school of mother jokes and they seem to be popular still. I would have 100% thought that was a joke from moment one. But it was one of the things that Dan kept hitting on in his interviews. It was the easy thing for Jeff to go to. That and the Sierra apology where he equates Sierra saying that he should sit out a challenge with what he said to Sierra after the tribal council. And the slap comment was the other thing he harped on.