Type keyword(s) to search

S30: Dan Foley

Donny Ketchum
  • Start Topic

Colton was on One World and was awful before he left for "medical" reasons.  He was also on one of the Blood v Water seasons, with his fiance Caleb. Colton quit because he didn't get his way.  The saddest thing is that we all got to see how wonderful Caleb was, but then he was tragically killed in an on-job accident relatively recently.

• Love 4

Dammit! You made me figure out how to find Dan on twitter...grr:) Not only did he do every single thing you said he did, Lady Chatts, he was still a coward and only replied to Shirin in his apology.  Nothing on his main page.  Nothing like, oh, say, on the page all of his followers can see, "I was wrong to even joke about slapping a woman". 

Yeah, and this seemed to annoy Jenn

@chxdigme super noble of you to take to Twitter to publicly "rectify" the situation instead of directly contacting @theshirin

• Love 8

I love Jenn.  I've never had a girl crush on here, but she is it.  I like how a couple of people on twitter called her out for referring to Shirin as annoying-yeah, kind of a big difference there.  Plus, they were willing to work with Shirin despite her annoyances.  Dan just kicked dirt in her face because he's being protected by his boy Mike.  Take away his alliance and security, and then what will he do.  Also, has Dan only ever been in the water when he gave his non-apology to Sierra, and then with his math class to Shirin?  Is that his comfort zone or something for when he wants to act like a prick?

Seriously, when Colton can zing you, you know you're bad.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

I'd watch that, but only if no one gets voted out. They just rip him to shreds over and over and he can't get them out and can't leave, either. 

Also, has Dan only ever been in the water when he gave his non-apology to Sierra, and then with his math class to Shirin?  Is that his comfort zone or something for when he wants to act like a prick?

He's probably peeing and/or farting in the water for some extra-special passive-aggressive jollies.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 7

Dan is a piece of shit human being. Why would they invite him back?

You think he's shit, Probst thinks he's a 'character'.  They cast characters and invite characters back.  Anyone people talk about after the show is money to them.

Yeah I really liked Jenn's tweet to Dan. And she was kind of mean about Shirin, but when she said she didn't even know her name I think it had more to do with the fact that the shuffle had just happened and Jenn was referencing the fact that Shirin hadn't been in their camp very long. It's very different from Dan's disgusting, patronizing disrespect and not knowing the name of someone who he's been on a tribe with for 6 days. And where it seems like he can't be bothered to learn it because it's not a common white person name. Although it is only 2 syllables and not that hard to pronounce. But I'm thinking that even 2 syllables is too many for Dan.

• Love 2

You think he's shit, Probst thinks he's a 'character'.  They cast characters and invite characters back.  Anyone people talk about after the show is money to them.

Yea, Probst doesn't think he's a character. Read his interview.

Not only is what Dan says disturbing, but there is also this psychopathic disconnect between what he says, his tone of voice (too soft, too slow) when talking one-on-one to a woman, and his real thoughts (as expressed in talking heads). I also didn't like how he waited to have his intended victim isolated to go on the offensive.

Give me a Rodney any time - at least with him, what you see is what really is there. And he's quite happy to speak in front of everyone. (Can't believe I'm now defending Rodney!... as the lesser of two evils).

I'm not sure Carolyn has seen the Dan that Shirin saw. She doesn't look like someone who'd take this kind of crap and I doubt he'd try that with her. 

• Love 2
He is intentionally playing a character and being outrageous to get air time. At least, that is what Lindsey said. I suspect he is less of an ass in real life.

That makes him a bigger asshole in real life. But then, I've never been a fan of "it's just a game" as justifying horrible behavior. If you cheat at something as unimportant as a game you are way more likely to cheat at something important. If you're an asshole during a game because you think it will get you something you want, you're more likely to be an asshole in real life to get something you really want.

Until he's gone, I'm not watching live. If the people I like (very few now) get booted, I'm out. If Survivor thinks this guy makes "good TV" I'm never watching again.

• Love 6

You need to seperate between gameplay and personality. Personality is real. Cheating at the game is fine. I mean, do you wanna play survivor or not? whether you're a fan watching or a contestant. It's already 30 seasons, cheating is the name of the game.

He [Jeff] doesn't say anything that implies to me they're not enjoying his [Don's] antics.  He even says "sometimes we get lucky" about Dan's challenge stupidity being "so fun to watch".

As I read it, Jeff is very happy that Dan was so stupid that we [viewers and Jeff] enjoyed seeing his downfall and stupidity not only once but TWICE, which to me means Jeff doesn't much like the guy either - and therefore there's less chance to see him back, yeah!

I would like to see Dan on a tribe with Sandra, Parvati, black widow Natalie, twinnie Natalie, and Twila.

They would eat him alive. Make it happen, Probst!

No, please don't make it happen. I'd hate to see assholish behaviour being rewarded by another appearance (and the $$$ that could mean). Just let him fade into obscurity and just be a footmark in Survivor history. I miss the days of Survivors strike back when previous Survivor alumni such as Sandra and Parvati were not shy about giving their opinion. But the lure of the possible come back has been very effective in making former Survivor contestants much muted in their criticism because they never know who they might have to play with in the future. Good for CBS I guess, much less piublicized public criticism of potential returnees. 

• Love 3

maybe the disaster that Colton was will make them rethink that policy? The only way I could stomach Don coming back is if, as that guy in HvV, he's voted off right of the bat just because he doesn't fit and nobody give a shit about him. But mostly, I'd rather he doesn't disgrace my TV screen ever again. 

• Love 1

There's a secret scene where Dan talks about his puzzle failures and then says something like "it was just another buuuuh for Dan Foley in the game of Survivor" So I think that deep down, he's actually really insecure about his game (and his appearance, intelligence, life, etc) and that's why he picks on Shirin. He does it so that he can tell himself "At least I'm not the worst one out here. At least other people don't think of me the way they think of Shirin". I don't think he actually believes he's good at the game at all. It doesn't make his behaviour any less horrible or disgusting though.

Hali has a secret scene where she talks about the possible women's alliance and says something like "I don't know what happened to Dan in his childhood to mess him up so much" and I swear you can hear the cameraman laughing. It's hilarious.

• Love 6
Do you mean Russell Hantz in Redemption Island? Coz the first one to get the boot was Stephanie in HvV. And that was a bummer for me. They didn't even gave her a chance.

No, I meant Randy, in HvV. He came from Gabon, where he was quite an unpleasant character (although the least unpleasant one of the bunch if I go by behavior at Ponderosa). Anyway, there was a consensus to vote him out first during Heroes vs Villains, despite the different fractions having started to line up by then - I guess he was just someone no one wanted to align with.   

• Love 3

Not only is what Dan says disturbing, but there is also this psychopathic disconnect between what he says, his tone of voice (too soft, too slow) when talking one-on-one to a woman, and his real thoughts (as expressed in talking heads). I also didn't like how he waited to have his intended victim isolated to go on the offensive.

Give me a Rodney any time - at least with him, what you see is what really is there. And he's quite happy to speak in front of everyone. (Can't believe I'm now defending Rodney!... as the lesser of two evils).

I'm not sure Carolyn has seen the Dan that Shirin saw. She doesn't look like someone who'd take this kind of crap and I doubt he'd try that with her. 

ITA about waiting until he got Shirin alone. That is such a classic bully/psychopath move. It's usually that or trying to get a bunch of people to gang up on their victim and make their victim look like crap.

Yeah, I think that's why people are okay with Rodney. On the other hand, Rodney had a horrible comment about wanting to take Lindsey by her hair and spank her. I'm not sure why that didn't get as much backlash as Dan's comment got. Excusing it because Rodney is younger and more obviously fits the frat/douchebag archetype isn't right.

• Love 4

People hate a fraud.  Rodney embraces or is at least aware of the fact that he's a gigantic asshole and is thus less horrifying than Dan, who genuinely thinks he's helping.

Of course, they're both among the five most loathesome people this show has ever cast, so.

• Love 3
There's a secret scene where Dan talks about his puzzle failures and then says something like "it was just another buuuuh for Dan Foley in the game of Survivor" So I think that deep down, he's actually really insecure about his game (and his appearance, intelligence, life, etc) and that's why he picks on Shirin. He does it so that he can tell himself "At least I'm not the worst one out here.

Just based on your post and without having watched the scene, I'd say: 1) he talks on himself in the third person, as he's this iconic person we'll al lremember? Well Randy was not remembered - see hyukx3 above -  and I bet that in the future, if I ever see the name Dan in the context of Survivor, unless prefaced with "that vile", I'll be like Dan? there was a Dan? when? 2) I bet that if he had known what Shirin was doing professionally, he would have toned it down. She has achiveed way more in her 20s than he had in his 50s (or is it 60s? cannot be bothered to go check his age). It would have help him to talk with her, not only to get her name right if he wanted to know her name to vote her off but also to know who she is outside the game and not to ridicule yourself even more than he did in the challenge by avoiding talking shit about someone who is so way out of his league that he looked like a jackass making fun of her. His only hope in life in Survivor, because in his 60s he's still unable to achieve what she has in hwer 20s. 

• Love 3

maybe the disaster that Colton was will make them rethink that policy? The only way I could stomach Don coming back is if, as that guy in HvV, he's voted off right of the bat just because he doesn't fit and nobody give a shit about him. But mostly, I'd rather he doesn't disgrace my TV screen ever again. 

I've seen a few Survivor alumni speak out on his twitter or on recaps about their dislike for the guy, so I think you may be right about that.  It wasn't anything overly significant that they said, just enough of an impression that they feel the same way about the guy as we do.  I don't know that Jeff likes Dan.  That was the tone I got from his EW bit he gave this week.  And it sounds like there will still be more of Dan putting his foot in his mouth, so I hope his beard is quivering at the backlash he'll probably still get.  However, I also know that being liked and being considered good TV are two different things.  I really don't believe Dan would get another chance, and if he does, I think he would be a lot more reserved.  He got super lucky this time by tribe dynamics.  He probably wouldn't be a second time around.  Dan is the perfect goat.  No one likes him, he sucks at challenges, and he can't play this game for himself so he has to follow someone else's lead.  That would be the only thing to make him successful the second time.  His tribe would have to go on a winning streak for him to have any hope of surviving.  That was what saved him this time.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

Dan unfortunately does not really suck at challenges.  He's done pretty well with them.  In fact that's another something he has a bit in common with Randy (although I don't like the comparison because Randy was a fascinating character for me) that everyone assumes he sucks at challenges because of how he looks but he's actually good at them, at least the team challenges.

People hate a fraud.

I think you nailed it - I would add that Hali who called it hypocrisy in one her her interviews, which comforts that it's not "just editing".

People have been assholes on Survivor for as long as it has been on. I can even be ok with it if it makes sense in the game (for example I didn't like Sophie asking Alfred/Albert/ some guy to forgo his chances at Immunity and go and help her, but I understood the game play and while it shows her as self-centered and entitled, I wouldn't call her namesw. YMMV, but for me Dan is a real asshole independantlty of game play (which while not impressive seems to be going his way so far). I cannot wait for his comeuppance!. Which is undoubtly coming, one way or the other -

• Love 1

Colton was on One World and was awful before he left for "medical" reasons

More specifically, he was awful because he said some horribly bigoted things.  He did not get along with black Survivor Bill, and called him "ghetto trash" among other things.  Although Colton bragged about not having to work, he sneered at Bill's trying to become a stand-up comic and said at Tribal that Bill was "obnoxious and loud and needed to get a real job."  When Jeff asked Colton if he had any African-American friends in his life at home, he replied with a giggle, "of course I do.  Our housekeeper! She's like a member of the family!"   Seriously, that "member of the family" thing would seem over the top if he were playing a scripted villain on Revenge or Empire, and yet he just came right out with it in propria persona  on Survivor.   He also called Leif (a Little Person) an Oompa Loompa and a Munchkin - but it was the racist stuff that caused the shitstorm.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 8

Also did the slanty eyes thing to make fun of the one Asian cast member

Shit!  about  Christina!  I forgot about that.  See, this is the thing. I hate this guy and I forgot about that.   Everyone is always all bent out of shape at the time, and then a couple of seasons later, they don't even remember.  I bet fucking Nayonka is still teaching school.

• Love 3

Dan doesn't seem to be playing to win.  I think he's watched Survivor enough times to know that there's a pretty decent paycheck to be had by being dragged to the end as a goat and, if he's a memorable controversial character, he'll be asked back a few times ala Russell Hantz.  Which doesn't mean he isn't the asshole he appears to be because I truly think he's just as offensive and boorish as has been shown in his every day camp life.  In his THs he seems to be trying to hard to be OTP.  I hate him.  I think I hate him more than I did KKColton and that's saying a mouthful.  I think it's a shame TPTB encourage vile assholes like this by giving them huge amounts of airtime and inviting them back.

ETA:  Also, Shirin doesn't have to beat him in Survivor to be a winner.  She's already beat the shit out of him in Life.

Edited by NurseGiGi
  • Love 6

[OT but Re. Colton] On top of the delightful qualities already described above, he also charmingly told Cristina to just throw heself in the fire, didn't he?

[On topic now - sort of] Colton was invited back, but then TPTB were so tired with him that they outed him out as a two-times quitter. And Russel was brought back twice, despite being a major source of spoilers his first two times, and I'm happy to think TPTB finally soured on him. Coach and Philip were brought back, but on repeat viewing their were more benign excentrics that full on psychos, and both even showed decent strategy/game play their last time around, even if they couldn't carry that to a win. So there's hope that TPTB are starting to learn that real asshole, while it might make for water-cooler conversations, is source of headaches down the road and better avoided in the future.

I'd rather suggest "difficult" characters, à la Shane, Jamie from Guatemala, Laura (great returnee and much more likeable the second time around), etc. rather than the likes of Dan or Russel - everyone can have fun not liking them and rooting against them without feeling uncomfortable while watching. And they still make great water-cooler topics.

• Love 1

I was so disgusted with Colton in his season, during the episode where he told Cristina she might as well quit or throw herself in the fire, I had decided that would be my last episode of Survivor, at least for that season. Then miracle of miracles, he pretended to get sick and quit at the end of the episode.

Dan is repugnant, but in more of a buffoonish way than Colton was, even his wishing Shirin would be hit seemed more like a pathetic attempt to fit in with the cool kids than true malice. He hears the others talking about her being annoying, so he does too, but has to go over the top with it.

• Love 2

While I agree about his talking heads being a buffoonish attempt to be remembered, I think some of his face-to-face interactions are the real Dan. Of course, YMMV, etc. I have such an intense dislike for that guy that I'm probably not objective at all :-)

• Love 2

Good lord I forgot how reprehensible Colton was.  I remembered the maid comment, but forgot just how horrible he was to Christina.  To me, that is not playing any sort of character or villain.  That is ones true colors coming through.  That is exactly how I feel about Dan.  He can say he wanted to play a character and be remembered all he wants, but I don't buy for one second that this isn't who he really is in his every day life.  Since they actually brought Colton back, I guess there is a sad chance Dan may make a return in the future.  I'd be willing to agree with you Nutmeg in that he may be overemphasizing his actions a little for camera purposes, but the real Dan is in there.  I fully believe how he acted to both Sierra and Shirin was the real deal.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

I'd watch that, but only if no one gets voted out. They just rip him to shreds over and over and he can't get them out and can't leave, either. 

He's probably peeing and/or farting in the water for some extra-special passive-aggressive jollies.

Okay I have to admit I laughed my ass off at this comment, probably more than I should but the funny thing is I could see him doing just that.  Him peeing in the water with that shit eating grin on his face being such an asshole.

• Love 3

Hahaha!  Someone upthread said Dan seemed like the guy hauled away by the cops one day and the neighbors say, "gee, he was always such a nice guy!"

That's what that article reads like to me.

And it changes my opinion of him not a wit.  Yeah, I'm sure he's a fair landlord, works hard, and is nice to his friends.  He can still be a misogynistic pig, ya know.

His wife even said that if Dan says something, he means it.  So.

• Love 5

From the article:

"For instance, he said that as a preface to his comments about Oskooi, he mentioned that often in movies when someone is hysterical, someone else has to slap the person to bring them back to reality. That’s the kind of slapping he was talking about, Foley said. But his setup for the remark was not in the episode that aired."

Oh, so he meant the good, helpful kind of slapping to shut someone up. That's so different.

• Love 8

Dan: YOU CAN'T COUNT! YOU'RE GOING TO LOSE! THEY'RE ALL LAUGHING AT YOU!!! YOU'RE A LOOOSSSSERRRRR!!!

Shirin: No, I'm fine.

Dan: SHE'S HYSTERICAL!1!!1 SLAP HER SLAP HER HELP HER!! HER UTERUS IS GIVING HER FITS!!!

• Love 15

The problem with Dan is he didn't seem to think he was in the wrong or care to apologize until two days after the episode aired.  At that point, Hali's interview with the DV comment about Shirin had come out and Dan must have really been feeling the backlash then.  Until then, he was still being an ass and passing himself off as some funny sarcastic twit.  Again, for a "super fan", doesn't he realize how this works?  Hasn't he read and talked with the hundreds of contestants who claim they got a bad rap solely because of editing?  Did he not watch the original AS finale when Jerri walked out after getting booed because fans were down on her from her Outback days still?  So we know he'll get airtime at the reunion for this.  I wonder if he's working on some big apology to save face.  I almost can't wait to hear what he has to say next.  If I've got to put up with him, at least I can watch him have to dig his hole a little deeper each time.  Fair trade.  Still hoping he gets voted off however.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

It is so apt that this Survivor experience and reality-television attention that he so longed for -- applying over and over, and vowing to be memorable in the early episodes -- it is just richly ironic that all that is bearing such bitter fruit for him now.

It's like a Greek tragedy!

• Love 4

I think the article sums about the things that Dan's "family" and "friends" don't get - Dan is nice to them because he likes them, so of course they won't see the side of him he displayed to Shirin. He's probably the type to turn on people really quickly though and has lots of ex-friends.

The most surprising part of that article is that it says 200 of Dan's family and "fans" came to his premiere. The fans part was shocking to me. Also, I still think that he isn't really married and the woman in the picture with him was rented for this photo.

Edited by wudpixie
  • Love 1

And we can add electricians apprentice to his list of jobs....

And Rob Has a Podcast gets a mention because Rob likes his awful play. Great. I do love how the article mentions Rob's comment but ignores all of the posts discussing how awful Dan is. And how they interviewed one person about Dan. A whooping two friends went on record in the report. I am not counting his wife.

The article was an attempt to defend Dan and yet it seems to have fallen flat.

• Love 3