Type keyword(s) to search

S30: Dan Foley

Donny Ketchum
  • Start Topic

I do think that Dan, watching the show, is upset that two other contestants were said to be"Survivor  superfans", and he was the one who had to bring up that HE was the "superfan".  I think he wanted the "tried for 14 years to get on the show, finally succeeded"  to be his legacy.  Instead he got "pompous guy who thinks he's the smartest person on the island"  edit.

What is so funny about this is that he is not a Survivor fan at all, he is a fan of Dan being on Survivor.

He watched 29 seasons and didn't pick up the most fundamental elements of good game play. You can just see him watching and thinking I would say this, I would do this. He was/is so rehearsed and had a "script" set in stone. Funny to see him STILL trying to sell the script ... 'If you look at this specific comment, episode you'll see what I am saying is right and if the scene or that wasn't cut you'd know how great and wonderful I am.

The only cut scene I want to see is Tyler discovering than Dan lied about losing his underwear - a story line he tried to milk (for whatever asinine reason) for a full 3 episodes.

• Love 11

He said everyone hated Sherin and not just him. Apparently, she drove everyone crazy. I guess he thought the edit was going to be more about her being the crazy and annoying one. I'm not exactly sure how he thought he was going to be portrayed as a hero though. I guess he thought when Mike flaked in the food auction that Dan would be portrayed as the hero. Boy! Did he get a dose of reality or what?! He can blame editing all he wants but he did talk to Sherin like that and he also talked to Sierra (who are friends) like that when he gave the worst apology ever. I doubt he is going to change his stance on finale night either. Between Dan, Sherin & Will its gonna be an ugly reunion. This is one time I don't want to hear anyone talk especially Dan. Bring on Season 31!

Yes!  This is the thing about editing - they can edit out all kinds of context, it's true, but they can't edit IN things you didn't actually say or do.  He said those things, he did those things, he was condescending, sexist, arrogant, and deluded.  There is a small possibility context might help some of that, but not most of it.  Was he going for the Captain Underpants, Philip, whatever his name was, slot the whole time with that stunt right at the start?  In that case, he should be pleased at how he came across.  If he wasn't, why on earth would he do such an off-putting thing?  Yike, such an unaware jerk.  

• Love 9

I actually think we should be grateful to Dan and that he was good TV - for a PSA that explains "Why we still need feminism". 

Along with Rodney, so women know they need to hold themselves to a higher standard than us men. 

Where did they find these Neanderthals? 

• Love 3

Lol his interview with Rob is so bad that someone already transcribed it and Rob posted it on the website!

I love RHAP. I'll much rather read the transcript rather than listen to Dan's disgusting, unctuous voice ever again.

• Love 6
(edited)

So right now Dan is batting about -1,875 when it comes to getting any sort of redemption or support from his former Survivors.  Seriously, if Rob will go to that length to further poke you, you know your bad.  I also didn't want to listen to it, but it would have been worth it to see him digging his hole even more.  Glad I can spare myself since someone was nice enough to transcribe it.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

He actually uses the word misandry in his interview with Rob. Amazing.

I can't.

I find it hilarious that Tyler and Dan, two of the biggest 'Shirin sucked and we're the good people!' perpetrators, copied off her idea for the Gordon Holmes word association game. 

• Love 3

From Dalton Ross's episode recap:

And then we are treated to an old skipping phonograph of Jeffrey Probst repeating the same words over and over: “does not count…does not count… does not count…does not count… does not count.” The damage is done, and so is Dan. If this were a movie, you would now be treated to a montage of people from coast to coast waving their arms in joy. People streaming out of their homes in celebration! Strangers kissing and hugging in the streets! Parades! A close up on an old man with a single tear rolling down as cheek as if he has been waiting an entire lifetime to see this magical day come to pass. Two women sharing a subtle yet knowing nod between them as if to say “Yeah, it was a struggle to get here and we may have lost some sisters along the way. There were casualties, and we will never forget the sacrifices they made nor the examples they set. But to finally have this moment, it was almost worth it.” Or, you know, something like that. I don’t know, maybe I watch too many movies.

Oh my god, could that be any more perfect?  Dalton needs some kind of special Emmy,  or something.

• Love 17

I wonder if there's any chance they could just not have Dan at the reunion, like with Brandon awhile back. It seems clear he will just filibuster with a bunch of what he thinks are ten dollar words, and they'll run out of time before they get to anyone else. I would say skip Will, but he's probably the winner this season, so no chance of that.

• Love 1

Ooh, that's gotta sting to read that.  Well, who knows, down the road someone may dethrone Dan as King Jackass and then he can pull a Colton and Rocky calling them out on twitter (even though he says it should all be about family with the Survivor crew).  Although I still think Colton was worse, for being a racist homophobe.  But Dan is pretty equal, so I guess it's a tie.

• Love 1
(edited)

Okay, I need to call you out on your statement that quitters never win.

They don't.

They do.

No they don't. Tony Vlachos was a backstabber, not a flipper.

Okay, but Vecepia Towery won season 4 and she flipped twice. She flipped to vote out Boston Rob at Final 10. Then, at Final 9, she flipped back and took out the Rotu alliance.

But did she win?

Yes. She won the million. She beat Neleh Dennis.

Huh. Okay.

And Sandra Diaz Twine flipped multiple times to win.

Well, Sandra is a different case altogether. But Cochran flipped, and did that work for him?

No. No one says that all flippers don't win. But flippers can and do win. Also, there was Danni Boatwright in Guatemala...

(Laughs) Yes, she played a good game. But I still believe that flippers don't win. I really do.

http://www.people.com/article/survivor-worlds-apart-dan-foley-exit-interview

The author obviously meant "flippers" and not "quitters".  I guess Dan isn't as big of a super fan as he thinks.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

According to Dan in that People interview, he was screaming obscenities at Mike on the way out after being voted off. Mike wasn't really even the reason Dan went home. His hatred of Mike during the game seems way over the top and irrational. It makes me wonder if there was more unpleasantness towards Mike that we didn't see.

• Love 8

According to Dan in that People interview, he was screaming obscenities at Mike on the way out after being voted off. Mike wasn't really even the reason Dan went home. His hatred of Mike during the game seems way over the top and irrational. It makes me wonder if there was more unpleasantness towards Mike that we didn't see.

I heard he was upset by that not being shown.  I think it was that same interview where he said only people not playing the game leave happy and with a smile on their face.  And that's exactly how we saw Dan in his final words.  Score another point for production.  The way he rambles on about Mike, you'd think they weren't friends outside of the show.  All I've seen is that it all came down to the auction, and then Mike's outing Rodney's crew at camp.  Frankly, Mike's been right about everything.  I guess Dan was too delusional to see it, even when it plays out in front of him.  Mike made a strategic move during that auction.  And he probably would have gotten better use out of the advantage than Dan did.  I don't get the vitrol either.  I still think some of these sour grapes are jealousy-the very people that peeps like Dan disliked out there are not only far more popular, but got a much better edit.

• Love 4

Dan's interviews clearly show that he STILL doesn't actually understand how Survivor works.  It never endears you to anyone to whine nonstop post-game about how your edit was unfair.  What is really sad is that he doesn't seem to have anyone close to him to pull him aside and tell him to shut up already, that he's only making things worse.  I don't know - I guess there are people out there who want friends who are arrogant, obtuse, condescending, misogynistic jackasses.  One thing I'll say for this season - I am an introvert who dreads social situations with strangers, but I'm feeling much better about my own social skills after watching idiots like Dan.

• Love 12

Listening to Aras's take on the Dan interview and it is more that Dan needs to step back when he says something like "I lashed out" and realize that there is a problem there. Aras hopes that Dan will be able to take a step back someday and see that it is a story and that he has areas he can improve. I think everyone has said the same thing here and I hope for Dan that the time comes that things are a bit less raw and he can learn and grow.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think that Dan has an irrational hatred for Mike because Mike is everything that Dan wants to be.  Dan finally starts a fire and gets in Mike's face-well that just tells me that Mike has been starting tons of fires (not all as we've seen others start them) and Dan wanted to be the fire starter.  Mike wins challenges and that's who Dan wanted to be-Dan even had an early confessional about his puzzle skills, swimming skills, etc.-but all for naught.  Mike actually had some insight into how to apologize to people (although he framed it poorly, he did rightly tell Dan to keep it simple), but Dan said he had much more experience with women than Mike did and so HE was the expert on how to apologize).  Mike stood up for others (Shirin, Sierra) whereas Dan thought HE was doing the right thing for others (Shirin and Sierra) by telling them how bad they were and how much they sucked).  Dan was personally competing with Mike and came up short every single time.  I really wish Mike had not backed down when he initially pulled out of the auction (but came back in due to Dan's comments), but Dan really seemed to take offense at that action as if Mike had come up with a superior strategy to his own and Dan couldn't take it.  And, Dan is still trying to 'beat' Mike now that Dan is able to give interviews and Mike still has to remain quiet.

Okay, wanted to add-and Mike is so much better looking than Dan who thought that by wearing a jaunty cap and 'losing' his underpants would really draw people to him.  If Dan had been pleasant and enjoyable I may have thought him cuddly or cute, but with his personality....no.  Mike beats him on all accounts and I think that Dan just can't take it.

Edited by seacliffsal
  • Love 19
(edited)

That People interview is pretty much Dan in a nutshell, they go over individual winners that have flipped and won, showing that it does happen, and happens often. Dan's response, laughing and saying, "yeah, but I still believe flipper's don't win, I really do." I mean, how can you reason with somebody like that?

Edited by BigRedCheese
  • Love 13

Dan had his idea of how he was going to play, how he would be portrayed, and how he would play when he was invited to go back. None of that happened. I don't even buy that Dan played the game he wanted to play. He said he was a hero but even with a good edit I cannot see anything that he did that would be defined as heroic. He was on the attack, he was confrontational, he won nothing solo, he won little in a group, and he wasn't a massive provider.

Dan wanted to be the super fan and was overwhelmed by Shirin and Max. Dan wanted to be the big character and he had to deal with Joaquin, Shirin, Rodney, Vince, and Jenn.

I do think Mike was condescending around camp but I don't think Mike knew it. We saw Mike get into it at the beginning of the season because he wanted people to thank him for all his work but he didn't thank others. We saw Mike telling Dan how to talk to Sierra. We have seen Mike try and take over challenges and dictate how they are played, sometimes it worked but many times it didn't. Mike has been right about a lot of things strategically but his approach to dealing with people hurt him because he really was kind of a know it all who wanted all the credit for everything. I can see how that would rub people the wrong way. I can see where that would annoy someone like Dan. Dan wants the spot light and to be the character and is not receptive to people telling him something else or telling him he is wrong. But I can buy that Mike is kind of hard to live with. Dan and Rodney have struggled with Mike and his "work ethic" stuff but we saw Sierra and Lindsey get into it with Mike so I think that there is something there.

• Love 3
(edited)

I can totally see that Mike might be a work-obsessed "Dad" type, thinking he knows what's best at all times.  That can certainly be annoying. I think the problem Dan has with him is that this personality actually works OK for Mike because of his general competence.  At least as we've been shown, Mike is just good at a lot of things and doesn't lord it over others.  He has never gloated over an IC victory when he would have been (IMO) well within his rights to do so.

It's not a coincidence that Dan's irrational hatred of Mike has increased the more Mike has been awesome in challenges and strategy, and the handsomer (and thinner/hotter) Mike has gotten.  I think it is pure jealousy and baldly so.  It's almost like a love affair gone wrong.  Dan got his heart broken by Mike and now Mike is the devil and the happier/more awesome Mike's life seems to be (on Survivor, I mean), the more Dan resents and reviles him.

Edited by Special K
  • Love 9

Dan is very clear that Mike crossed a personal line at the auction. I have no idea how Mike's wavering to buy the letters was that awful but to Dan it was the equivalent of Will calling Shirin soulless. It is a bit bat shit crazy.

• Love 4

I just hope to never see this hateful, delusional buffoon on Survivor ever again, I would prefer they not invite him to the reunion, but I doubt that will happen. I would take a season of the Hantz family vs. the Boneham family over ever having to sit through a season with Dan on it again. To be clear, in case Probst is reading this, that's also bad, and I don't want to see that either.

• Love 7

Mike committed the unpardonable sins of being competent, tall, better-looking, and smarter than Dan.  If Dan cussed Mike out on his way out of TC, it's because Dan didn't have the nerve to confront him face-to-face in an environment where Mike would have the opportunity to stand up and set him straight.  Dan is delusional.  The likeness to Cliff Craven (professionally and in the know-everything attitude) is apt.  All we need now is for Dan to go on Jeopardy and fall even flatter on his face.

• Love 6
•He wanted to be the big-hearted guy who missed his wife back home, but he's mentioned more than once how the show didn't include those scenes of him crying on Day 2 about missing their anniversary and he just sounds like he's mad that his big scene was cut.

This is how Dan is making me despise him even more, long after he has left the game, far away from the evil editors.  It ties in with his upset over Mike "spoiling the moment," when they got their letters from home.  Dan really, really wanted to be seen reading his letter and crying.  He thinks the more he cries over missing his wife, the more we'll all think he's a great guy.  I can't stand that. It proves nothing.  Lot's of jerks love their wives.  Dan definitely should appreciate his wife because she may be the only woman in the world who can stand looking at the underside of his tongue all day while he licks the end of his mustache.  By all means, Dan should love her and be grateful, but it has nothing to do with the rest of us.  This would only be interesting to me if it was a crying contest between  Dan thinking about his wife and Rodney thinking about his mom and we timed it to see who lasted the longest.

• Love 15
(edited)

Dan Foley

People Magazine Interview, May 15, 2015

"So what was your reaction when you were voted out? Were you angry at Carolyn?

Look, anyone who walks out of the game with a smile on their face didn't play the game. I left that game with a fever of expletives. They didn't show it, but I was swearing and spitting and seething after my torch was snuffed. I was absolutely furious, calling Mike every name in the book. But I don't wish anyone ill will."

How very "heroic" ... classic behavior for a hero. Jack ass!

Sounds to me like he got a HUGE break on editiing -- we didn't see him blubering after being away from his wife for a week (all heros blubber right?), we didn't see him get insulted by his teammates when they pointed out truths about his abilities and now we learn we didn't get to see him having a vulgar meltdown. You should be thanking the editors for having pitty Cliff Claven.

Edited by escatefromny
  • Love 8

Sounds to me like a got a HUGE break on editiing -- we didn't see him blubering after being away from his wife for a week (all heros blubber right?), we didn't see him get insulted by his teammates when they pointed out truths about his abilities and now we learn we didn't get to see him having a vulgar meltdown.   You should be thanking the editors for having pitty Cliff Claven.

Yeah, I agree.  The more of Dan we see post-game, unfiltered and unedited, the more I believe that the editors may have actually done him a favor or two.  I mean, if it's even possible, he seems to be way worse than he was depicted on the show.

I wonder if he will ever come to the knowledge that he is now actively (aggressively even) mobilizing detractors, while trying to recruit supporters.  Probably not.

• Love 4

I did laugh at his examples of editing on the RHAP interview. None of his examples made me feel like he would have looked any better. Sierra points out that he would not be good in a challenge and that makes he a horrible person? ummmmm

I have decided I have a better chance of understanding my nearly 3 year old then I do Dan.

• Love 3

The Dan we got on the show is pretty much the same Dan we're seeing in his interviews. Stubborn, insulting, delusional windbag. He doesn't seem to understand that he's reinforcing his edit with every comment he makes.

It's bizarre to hear him say he was screaming at Mike on his way out, and then see him walk into Ponderosa talking about how he should have been more of a jerk because heroes never win. I don't remember any hero going out on a string of expletives, but I'm sure Dan knows better. He's a superfan, after all.

• Love 5

Remember when some of us thought he was acting the part of the villain in order to be a memorable Survivor character? Wow, we were giving him way too much credit. He still insists he was the "hero" of the season, he still thinks that "flippers don't win" even after confronted with several examples of flippers who had won, and he still believes that Mike and Mike alone was responsible for him getting voted off. Absolutely no logic ever enters that dome of his.

• Love 3
They didn't show it, but I was swearing and spitting and seething after my torch was snuffed. I was absolutely furious, calling Mike every name in the book. But I don't wish anyone ill will."

And he thinks that's good to his image? Why? No, to me, it's not. Not only was he vile the whole time he was there, but what did he expect by that? Not only is Mike way much nicer than he is, but why insult Mike when it was you using your advantage and (maybe therefore) Carolyn playing her idol that killed your game? Displacement of fury, Dan is thy name.

• Love 5
(edited)

Dan's Day After Video.  Sigh.  There is something off about this guy.  He is talking about his kids hugging him and being grateful for what he has in life, and yet I still want badly (BADLY!) to punch him in the face.  

Wow- watching his video, I'm stunned.  there was a moment when I started to feel a morsel of actual pity for him.  Then he starts going on and on about how when he gets home, his kids will say they're proud of him (did we ever hear him talk about his kids before?)  for all that he ACCOMPLISHED.  I'm sure his kids WILL hug him and say they're proud, because they know he expects it.  And I bet there will be a camera near by to record the moment. 

He's really taking the show way too seriously.  he didn't do any better than average at physical challenges,  he didn't show he could do the ones requiring a steady hand and good balance.  And for all his arrogance and acting like he's the smartest person there, he sure didn't shine on any puzzles that I recall. 

AND - it's a game.  A reality show.  You go on an island, camp, fish, participate in contests and try to be better than other people at stuff.  It's an opportunity, but in the end, what "accomplishment"  was reached?  Being on TV, I guess.  Oh - and at challenges, his claim to fame would be "at least he was better than Will".  What an accomplishment to be proud of! 

People made reference to him lying about losing his underwear?   Where is that from?  

Edited by backformore
  • Love 4

OK -  I figured out what's missing for me.   It's not what Dan SAYS, as much as what he doesn't say.  

I haven't read and listened to every interview, but the ones I have -  what's missing is humility.   

Just a quick statement like "I played the game to the best of my ability, but in the end i was outplayed. Carolyn played the game  and her strategy worked, whereas mine did not.  Mike rocks at challenges and in the end I couldn't compete with that.  "  anything of that nature  would offer a glimpse that maybe, beneath all that pomposity and arrogance, is the real person Dan claims he is.  

Instead, he took the sore loser route. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I think he does not know the meaning of "hero". Or he thinks Mike is more a hero than he ever was, hence the vitriol. Meanwhile I'm hoping Mike is going all, well, this anoying mosquito is gone, now what's left to take care of?

EtA: in the words of Boston Rob, he's a "small man", thought Survivor was going to be his salvation in life, but is going to realize it's made him even smaller that he was - this time, it's not only in HIS mind, it's in the VIEWING PUBLIC's mind. Way to go, Don.  If only you had played the frikking game instead of the character you were hoping would get you "remembered" for - it's going to get you remembered all right, just not the way you were hoping for - I could have had a modicum of respect for you. After your showing? Sir, you have no shame, no game, and you are a very vile person. Get off my screen and please never, ever, come back. It's not in your interest any way: anyone who'd be willing to drag you along would be talking shit about you in their talking heads - is that what you want your kids (first indication you had any came from this thread) to see you!? Try to become a better man if you can but once again forget about Survivor and never, ever come back. I could say this a hundred times, that's how hearfelt it feels! 

Edited by NutMeg
  • Love 5
(edited)

he still thinks that "flippers don't win" even after confronted with several examples of flippers who had won

He's a bombastic twit, but I'll back him up here.  While flippers HAVE won, in general, they don't.  Many many more players flip on their alliance and disappear shortly thereafter.    He didn't say "never" win, he said "don't" win. 

Dan is another reason I'm not watching the reunion, right after Shirin.

Edited by Eggman

he still thinks that "flippers don't win" even after confronted with several examples of flippers who had won

He's a bombastic twit, but I'll back him up here.  While flippers HAVE won, in general, they don't.  Many many more players flip on their alliance and disappear shortly thereafter.    He didn't say "never" win, he said "don't" win. 

In his interviews Dan has made it perfectly clear that when he says "flippers don't win" he means "never win". As Dan would say, "Period. End of story. End of discussion." 

He was at a complete loss to explain the cases where they have won. He wasn't even familiar with one or two flippers who have won.

• Love 5

"Dan: You really did say it accurately, a lot of this season is going to be overshadowed by a lot of the controversy, and I don't think that's good, I really don't. It's not nice for anybody. I don't think anyone is going to remember my strategic moves because they weren't shown. I don't think people are going to see or remember a lot of the other things because it's going to be overshadowed by some of the things that I said, and things that were represented and misrepresented. But I would like, if nothing else, that I am a fan. That I have chased this for a long time. And that if I can do it, anyone can do it. Regardless of how it turned out, I got to live my dream. And I'm a family man who would die for his wife. If I could be remembered like that? I'd be OK with that."

http://www.examiner.com/article/survivor-dan-interview-i-really-feel-like-i-had-a-raw-deal

Dan is very clear that Mike crossed a personal line at the auction. I have no idea how Mike's wavering to buy the letters was that awful but to Dan it was the equivalent of Will calling Shirin soulless. It is a bit bat shit crazy.

What I find strange is that Mike appeared to change his mind because of Dan and for Dan (not for a social game but personally for Dan who was thankless). I think Mike realized he had screwed up his social game (too big of a target that the social part didn't matter much anyway) and then changed his mind out of pity for Dan. I was annoyed by Mike being "nice" and changing his mind about getting the advantage at the auction. Dan should have been thankful for his letter and his "advantage" (lol).
  • Love 2

People made reference to him lying about losing his underwear?   Where is that from?

Tyler mention Ned it on Twitter and elsewhere.

I wish someone would ask he what he thought to gain by the lost underwear ruse, oh wait, screen time.

This is the guy who in his CBS bio brags that he can charm anyone. What with his pants off?!?! His refusal to protect the eyes of the viewing public by not wearing a shirt was bad enough.

As some one mentioned, he always had that stupid shirt draped over his shoulders - based in a Sierra comment, it seems he really sun burned his back. It makes me laugh because it seems obvious no one would put lotion on his back for him (who would want to touch that mess). Put on a shirt!!