Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Pauline's Story

• Start Topic

For the record, salt has no calories and does not cause you to gain fat.  At most it may make you retain water and certain people (not everyone) should keep sodium intake to a minimum, but completely eliminating salt from a diet is dangerous (and nearly impossible).

• Love 5

"She makes me stabby."   I LOVE this.  I am going to have to incorporate this into my phraseology.  

First time I heard this was by Anthony Bourdain on his shows. It's been around awhile.

Edited by peaceknit
  • Love 2

Stabby was first used on The Simpsons.  It was used extensively on Futurama by the robot with the knife on the end of his arm.  It is one of my favorite terms.  And yes, Pauline makes me stabby, extra stabby.  

• Love 3

I think it was on this thread that someone posted that Pauline & Penny should be roommates in a nursing home. I agree, but if they were, they wouldn't be Cleopatras being waited on.

I know from experience. A few years ago I spent a couple weeks in the Physical Therapy Rehab section at a nursing home due to a broken leg & another health problem. Things are run on a regimented schedule & they have to be. We were awake at 7 am for breakfast. After that we washed up & got dressed in regular clothing ready for the day. They were adamant about dressing in regular clothing & not laying around in a hospital or night gown (or naked like Pauline seem to do when she was recovering from surgery). The physical & occupational therapists were great & didn't take No or I can't do it as excuses. That's why we there-to get better so we could go home.

I realize their circumstances would be different -- the scenario being they would end up in a nursing home when no one else could or would take care of them but I think they would be in shock as how things are run. It also drives me nuts that these types of people get disability for something they caused themselves. I am on disability & know how difficult it was to prove my case to get it. There are so many out there that should get it but don't get approved. Then there are these fat slobs laying in their sleeping, cooking, bathroom beds that do. Let me get off my soap box now.

• Love 6

Someone needs to inform Pauline and Dillon that the 13th Amendment abolished slavery back in 1865.

I have to smile at that. Every time I complained about a job, my stepfather, a lawyer, would say, "Lincoln freed the slaves. If you don't like it, go get another job."  Now that I'm the adult, I have to admit using it a few times myself. Either shut up and deal with it, or go find another job; just stop complaining if you aren't willing to make a change. Yeah, Lincoln freed the slaves. It's strange what you remember about people after they're gone. 

• Love 2

I think Dillon has a great defense if he ever kills his mother, and it is on film. I have a heart of stone when it comes to people killing each other. and I would have a difficult time giving Dillon more than probation with therapy.

I was a divorced mom and never got free day care, food stamps, housing, etc. Where are these goodies? Because I had to  work some jobs I hated just to keep the kiddos fed and in health insurance.

• Love 4

TLC aired Pauline's Super-sized Episode last night. I gotta be honest, I was looking forward to hate-watching this again but somehow she got even more unlikeable this go around and it was extremely unpleasant to watch.

There was a bonus scene of Pauline going out to a pizzeria (because OF COURSE). Poor Dillon was having difficulty getting her double-wide wheelchair through the door of the place. She kept saying, "Oh, you can do it! Just move it to the left." The poor kid tried and tried but could NOT get that thing past the threshold. I kept screaming at the TV, "Get out of the wheelchair and WALK INSIDE!" Which, of course, she finally did, but only after making a big production out of it like the whiny drama queen she is. I do believe at some point as Dillon tried to navigate the SS Pauline through the door, she said, "Oh, watch my toesies!" For real.

I think what struck me most last night was her one-month stay (!!) in the hospital. Now, it's pretty clear that TLC is footing the bill for all of this because no way, no how, anywhere in America that any other hospital was going to let her lolly around in bed all day using their employees as her personal slaves. The doctors and nurses would have demanded she get out of bed and walk. I think she wanted to stay there because she knew she COULD. TLC wasn't going to kick her out the way some insurance company would.

Oh, the other revelation was that Pauline's sister and brother both had weight-loss surgery. The sister has managed to lose weight and stick with the plan -- the brother stuck with it for awhile but gained all the weight back and died some time later.

ITA with Giant Misfit. I watched the Supersize episode too and one other thing they mentioned with that Dillon dropped out of college to take care of his mother. And that he gets paid by the government to be the primary caretaker. Poor boy, he's never going to have a life until Pauline hits the double wide plot in the giant all u can eat buffet in the sky.

• Love 7
(edited)

I thought the added info and tweets were interesting.  I definitely came away from this worried for Dillon and hoping Pauline kicks off rather quickly so he can be free.  He kind of reminds me of one of the kids from A&E's Hoarder show.

The tweets started out positive but by the end of the show Pauline was compared to Penny.  She wasn't fooling anyone.

Edited by MrsClaus
Hopefully Pauline's son won't end up on America's Most Wanted for murdering his morbidly obese hosebeast of a mother!  If she makes us feel stabby (love it ChicksDigScars!), imagine how he must feel on a daily basis.

All he needs is a gold bikini.

LOL. I guess a giant chain would help, too. OK, now I feel guilty . . .

But seriously, poor Dillon. His life, at the start of the show, was awful, and it just got worse. When they were in in California, apparently his family did not rescue him from the situation as a teenager. But at least he had one cousin who gave a damn about him. She expressed interest in his welfare, and she put her money where her mouth is by taking on bath duty a couple of times a week. Don't know what was going on with the older generation in that family, but at least Dillon wasn't completely alone. Then they moved to Houston, and he was. 

(edited)

I loved the pop-up during the Bingo scene that informed us that Pauline told Dillon to request that they "go light on the butter" when making the grilled cheese sandwich she was scarfing down in that scene. Oh, well, see now that makes all the difference. Now I don't have the best tv, but that thing looked bright yellow from soaking in butter to me.

Also, can we just adopt that poor dog? Was that a McDonald's cheeseburger she was feeding it while lounging in the back of the van? I think I also saw the dog jumping up to her bed for scraps when she was eating fast food after her surgery also. Why do I have a bad feeling that she only feeds him from her plate and not actual dog food?

Edited by Katydid
  • Love 3

I watched the Supersize episode too and one other thing they mentioned with that Dillon dropped out of college to take care of his mother. And that he gets paid by the government to be the primary caretaker. Poor boy, he's never going to have a life until Pauline hits the double wide plot in the giant all u can eat buffet in the sky.

This just shows the difference in people. There was a mostly bedridden woman on Supersize vs Superskinny whose son was her carer, of an age similar to Dillon's (they have a similar system in the UK, where family can be paid carers). His mother had the surgery and in the follow up, she was happy to be up and about, doing some housecleaning and cooking. They showed her son getting ready for a night out and talking about having more of a life. His mother knew that her condition was taking a toll on her son and she was happy to take back her household duties and let her son get on with his life. Pauline doesn't have near the same amount of concern for her son. She likes her status and doesn't care who it hurts, even if it's her son.

• Love 3

What's kind of amazing to me is that her dog isn't fat. As a former vet tech, 9 times out of 10 you have a fat dog, you have fat owners, usually because they don't exercise the dog and because they share all their human food.

Oh, right...Pauline doesn't share.

• Love 2

There was a bonus scene of Pauline going out to a pizzeria (because OF COURSE). Poor Dillon was having difficulty getting her double-wide wheelchair through the door of the place. She kept saying, "Oh, you can do it! Just move it to the left." The poor kid tried and tried but could NOT get that thing past the threshold. I kept screaming at the TV, "Get out of the wheelchair and WALK INSIDE!" Which, of course, she finally did, but only after making a big production out of it like the whiny drama queen she is. I do believe at some point as Dillon tried to navigate the SS Pauline through the door, she said, "Oh, watch my toesies!" For real.

I kind of half-watched the episode and caught this scene. Didn't realize it was a bonus scene -- just figured I must have missed it the first time around. I wasn't screaming, but rather mumbling at my tv, telling Pauline to get up and WALK! It's not like she can't do it, it's that she doesn't want to. Walk, lady, walk! Very infuriating. And yes, indeed, she said "toesies". LOL!

He kind of reminds me of one of the kids from A&E's Hoarder show.

I said the very same thing a few pages back. Poor Dillon has that resigned countenance like the hoarders kids. Like, "ok. This is my life and there's nothing else". Tragic.

But at least he had one cousin who gave a damn about him. She expressed interest in his welfare, and she put her money where her mouth is by taking on bath duty a couple of times a week. Don't know what was going on with the older generation in that family, but at least Dillon wasn't completely alone.

They probably stay away to keep from giving in to the urge to kill Pauline.  She's not exactly the type of person anyone would want to hang out with.

• Love 1

I think Pauline at one point could have been a really beautiful woman. She has the bone structure and features. It's also obvious that she's not stupid...she can sling a good line of bullshit when it suits her.

She had so many other options.

When Dr. Now was heading into surgery to put the filters in her legs, it looked like he was walking up to a car under a tarp. She really is enormous.

• Love 3

I have caught myself too many times this week saying "ouchie" and "drinkie." I still laugh at Dr. Now calling her wheelchair a monster :)

He wasn't calling her wheelchair, Monster. He was talking about her motorized bed contraption. That thing certainly isn't a wheelchair and definitely is a monster.

• Love 1

I have caught myself too many times this week saying "ouchie" and "drinkie." I still laugh at Dr. Now calling her wheelchair a monster :)

LOL

What I would love to see during her update show is Dillon coming into the room, shooting his mother and saying woopsie !

• Love 2

But she got so terribly dizzy and nauseous whenever she stopped eating!

And I'm sooooo sure that if she actually was feeling those things, it couldn't possibly be related to what she was eating. I mean, how could greasy high carb food not make you feel awesome??! I've had the sleeve and never had a problem with my blood sugars, but I gotta say that high sugar foods can leave me shaky and not feeling hot if I don't eat something high in protein within an hour or two, and really high fat foods make my stomach feel bleh. I feel comfortable armchair diagnosing her nausea as directly related to her crappy diet.

This just shows the difference in people. There was a mostly bedridden woman on Supersize vs Superskinny whose son was her carer, of an age similar to Dillon's (they have a similar system in the UK, where family can be paid carers). His mother had the surgery and in the follow up, she was happy to be up and about, doing some housecleaning and cooking. They showed her son getting ready for a night out and talking about having more of a life. His mother knew that her condition was taking a toll on her son and she was happy to take back her household duties and let her son get on with his life. Pauline doesn't have near the same amount of concern for her son. She likes her status and doesn't care who it hurts, even if it's her son.

I think this was on Fat Doctor? I remember the son had started getting fatter as he became his mother's care-giver, just like Pauline's son. But you're right, Pauline does not have any concern for what is best for her son.

Edited by mrsjoe
  • Love 1

If people donate to her, they are idiots.

http://www.gofundme.com/o071f0

OMG! I feel like signing in and saying Walk to your Pool! you lost almost 200 pounds? you were 700 and now you are 500? You should be 200 by now so Im not impressed as going from 700 to 500 in 2 years you must be eating 7,000 calories a day. If you ate the correct amount that you are supposed to after you bypass you would not need to be riding around on the scooter! If you would get off your ass you would not be living on such a small amount of disability check. 

• Love 6

http://www.gofundme.com/o071f0

OMG! I feel like signing in and saying Walk to your Pool! you lost almost 200 pounds? you were 700 and now you are 500? You should be 200 by now so Im not impressed as going from 700 to 500 in 2 years you must be eating 7,000 calories a day. If you ate the correct amount that you are supposed to after you bypass you would not need to be riding around on the scooter! If you would get off your ass you would not be living on such a small amount of disability check.

She needs to lose weight get off her ass and get a damn job like the rest of us.

• Love 6

That's a nice looking car hooked up to the tow truck.  What happened to the van?  It would be near to impossible to fit the double wide scooter into the sedan.  She's still in Houston, and I wonder why.  Since she obviously isn't following the program of weight loss with Dr Now I wonder why she didn't return to Sacramento.  And I still think she may very be the fat woman who was in cahoots with the attorney who went around to various places of business and parking lots looking for some type of a disability rights violation to file.  She may have a vexatious litigant filed against her, meaning it would be nearly impossible to file another court case.  Hmm, options closing on her, maybe? If she has only $40 cash a month after rent, how would she pay for gas, insurance, upkeep on a car?  Forget the car and get some snacks with that 40 bucks.

• Love 1

The $40 a month left to live on is bullshit. Maybe it is true but then she has her son's whole disability check to use for everything else. If dont split the rent, then that is what she has. Like she gets $750 a month and their rent is $700. He gets $800 a month. If she split the rent she would have $400 a month left.. Lying and stretching the truth....and her chili cheese fries.  That van was provided by TLC I think to haul her to Houston

I am sure she is the one who filed the lawsuits. On Supersized it said that she was complaining that a lot of the hotels they stopped at were not handicapped accessible.

• Love 3

There is a fraud button to press on the Gofundme site.

There is NO way she lives on $44.00 a month. She lied on the show, she is a compulsive liar who is now trying to con people out of money online.

Btw, she has a jar of salsa in her shopping basket. That is not a good choice, mainly salt and chemical tomatoes and spices.

What a p.o.s.

• Love 3

Still not walking I see. So in her rebuttal to the show how it portrayed her she told this whole story about how her car with in the shop and her other wheelchair is in the car which is why she had the "Monster" so they edited her unfairly. Well when dr now asked her "Why didn't you walk from the waiting room into this room" She says "I'm using this because I can't walk more than a few steps without getting dizzy"-- so how was that edited wrong? That is what she said!

Dr/ Now kept saying that she was used to controlling everyone and all situations so in the hospital she lost control and had to listen and she didn't like that dynamic. He had her pegged. She lost 145 pounds in the hospital and is not exactly the same according to the GoFundme site. At 530 pounds she can lose 30 pounds per month....This woman annoys me to no end. The whining, the excuses, the lying, the manipulating! 

• Love 4

Lemmee see - for years the government has had programs to help the blind get work. People with Down's Syndrome work at my local grocery stores, I have had students and classmates in wheelchairs, returned injured vets with prosthetic devices regularly run, bike, 4 wheel, and go back to work in the military if they want, and this poor excuse for a human can'f get off her ass and walk or take her scooter down to Kelly Services or the county unemployment office and find work? Shame on her. Shame.

• Love 4

Why does she feel entitled to a car?  Take public transit like everyone else!  In the words of President Frank Underwood, "You are entitled to nothing!"  Oops, wrong show.  LOL  But seriously, she has $40 left after her rent?  How does she pay utilities? Sundry items like laundry soap and shampoo? The bingo trips?  She needs to find a cheaper place.  You can't survive if your rent is 99% of your income.  

• Love 2

That photo is so totally staged. In reality her cart would be overflowing with chips, frozen pizzas, fried chicken and giant bottles of soda.

Yep, she waited til after taking her staged photo in the produce section to start loading up enough supplies to re-enact D-Day.

• Love 1

But she can't walk more than a few steps without getting dizzy and can't go more than 3 hours without eating or she gets nauseated!

As long as the doctor cleared her for exercise, the dizziness should be a signal that she needs to do it *more often*. I  get sore or out of breath too sometimes when I resume jogging  after being lazy and letting it slide some weeks. It gets better.

• Love 4

Why does she feel entitled to a car?  Take public transit like everyone else!  In the words of President Frank Underwood, "You are entitled to nothing!"  Oops, wrong show.  LOL  But seriously, she has $40 left after her rent?  How does she pay utilities? Sundry items like laundry soap and shampoo? The bingo trips?  She needs to find a cheaper place.  You can't survive if your rent is 99% of your income.  

I think since Dillon lives with her, they pay the rent with her check and then live on his check, so they are fine. He probably gets a good $1200-$1500 a month from the State to be her Caretaker, so they are doing JUST fine....

• Love 1

Pauline is an opportunist. She wants to parlay whatever little fame she has (or infamy) into getting whatever she needs at the time (in this case, a car) with little or no effort on her part. Just like why walk into a pizzeria when you can ride in on the Monster.

I think since Dillon lives with her, they pay the rent with her check and then live on his check, so they are fine. He probably gets a good $1200-$1500 a month from the State to be her Caretaker, so they are doing JUST fine....

I'm sure it was just coincidence that she leaves out that part...

I have yet to read all the comments after the gofund me post above but have to say, there is no legit apartment complex in the US that will rent to someone and only leave them $44 a month to live on. Standard requirement is that the rent not be more than 1/3 of your monthly income. So she's still a lying liar who lies.

ETA: If she's only getting the money for a downpayment, how does she expect to make monthly payments with only $44 to live on?!?! 

Edited by KarmaG
  • Love 2

I'm sure their combined income is $2000 a month If the rent is $700 a month, that is 1/3 of their  total income. If her check is $740- that leaves her $40 to live on- in her head she isn't lying.... But they have his check of $1500 for things like Burgers and Fries.  It;'s that way she has of stretching the truth by exagerating.