Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Pauline's Story

• Start Topic

Guest dutronc

If she's on disability, wouldn't she qualify for a housing voucher? Also, I can't believe I'm typing this, but I wonder--didn't she have a career of sorts as a web model? I wonder if that income line has totally closed down for her. It seems like a reasonably good way to scrape together some money, although more work than monitoring a GoFundMe account.

Not her first attempt with GoFundMe... I wonder if this one went better.

https://m.facebook.com/shaycarlbook/posts/10203236442327475

Good find! I notice she used the name Paulee in that post and it was done in April of last year. Wonder how long after the post she was accepted to be on the show and TLC/production picked up the tab for the trip....

ETA: I notice she lists her relationship status as married, on that page and last updated her profile pic in Feb.

Edited by KarmaG
Notice how she has the photo in the fruit and veggie aisle. LMFAO!!!

Now, wait just a second. Isn't this the same woman who claimed that there weren't any grocery stores around, just fast food places? And that's why they ate that shit for every meal?  Is there a growing list of the lies that she keeps getting caught in, because that picture proves that there is more in her neighborhood than just McDonald's. 

Stabby bitch.

• Love 3

OMG, I just realized she is a member of the same group I belong to on Facebook using the name Paulee Porter.  I have no idea how that happened other than it's about the 600lb shows.  Unfortunately it's all positive stuff, no discussing the truth of what's shown.

I have a friend who's a social worker, and we were discussing a mutual acquaintance who is as vile a human as I've ever met.  My friend said that he'd learned in his career in social work that some people simply don't have any idea how to relate to other people unless it's playing the role of victim.  They are simply incapable of any other kind of relationship.  As I watched Pauline last night (I'm new to this series), all I could think of was that comment.  Pauline will always be the victim, no matter what the facts are or who she deals with. That's her only template. She is incapable of having any other sort of relationship.

Incidentally, the acquaintance who was the subject of the initial conversation is living under a bridge, homeless, in Houston -- of all places. Maybe there's something cosmic about Houston, like a vortex, that attracts that type of person there.

• Love 3

Wow, I just watched this (on the heels of watching Penny).  Pauline and Penny both need to go to physical therapy alongside vets who've had limbs blown off and kids who are born without limbs, etc.  They should have Overeaters Anonymous meetings at the pool Pauline goes to for water therapy so they can fit both of their gigantic egos in the same building.  I want them to hear from family members being honest about what their fat and their selfish desires are doing to them and what will happen if they don't get out of bed.  At first I thought, well, at least Pauline kind of gets out of bed occasionally, which put her miles ahead of Penny, but the road to Denial had the ruts left by Penny's fat-heaving van carting her to places that did not include her son's graduation or to PT.  Grrr.  Free Dillon!

• Love 2

I'm not sure that the obese ones are the victims.  It seems to me that they are cunning and really put in a lot of effort into being how they are.  The victims seems to be the social workers who doubtless get calls all the time demanding special accommodation, the doctors who have to put up with them, their kids, their caretakers---everybody else.  And if Pauline is the one who filed violations of ADA rules and would settle for X amount of money, business owners working their butts off were victims too.  

• Love 3

ETA: http://www.gofundme.com/o071f0 if anyone is interested

I notice that since I clicked on this a few days ago, Pauline has since disabled the commenting on the page. I guess this will allow future suckers, err, donaters, who aren't familiar with her brand of victimhood and manipulation to continue filling her coffers.

That said, the fund's up to $90. Maybe that will pay for the electricity she needs to charge up the Monster.

I'm not sure that the obese ones are the victims.  It seems to me that they are cunning and really put in a lot of effort into being how they are.  The victims seems to be the social workers who doubtless get calls all the time demanding special accommodation, the doctors who have to put up with them, their kids, their caretakers---everybody else.  And if Pauline is the one who filed violations of ADA rules and would settle for X amount of money, business owners working their butts off were victims too.  

I think what we're seeing on this show are some folks with raging personality disorders who also happen to be over 600 lbs. Not all of them, of course, but definitely folks like Pauline and Penny.

• Love 3

Free Dillion!!

My god I know I am late to the game but this was truly a mentally ill fucked up con artist. What a despicable, despicable human being. The sick co dependent manipulation was for the ages. This should be shown to psych and med students. The problem here is not her weight. The weight is a result of her raging combo of histronic/narcissistic/borderline personality disorders. It gives her attention, she can cry over the pain and unfairness, she has a forced slave, she doesn't have to work, get to be on TV. Shit she doesn't even have to get up to go to the refrigerator. Her son is dead in the eyes. I co sign with others. It would be better of she was dead. She will never NEVER change.

I admit I watch this show while working out. Incentive. I also have MS, have had it for 19 years, work my ass off and am 5'10 145 because a I know life isn't fair and its up to me to take care of me for my friends and family especially my son. Whining in pain? Bitch you are in a prison of your own making. Millions would love to be in a position that they could get rid of their health problems if they could do some work at it. My blood is boiling. I hope the stupid bitch reads this and sees what a colossal waste of resources she is. Kids in this country go to bed hungry. Fay ass parks her ass in a mini van barking orders of fast food to her son. Fuck you. Seriously. What a waste of life.

• Love 19

They should have Overeaters Anonymous meetings at the pool Pauline goes to for water therapy so they can fit both of their gigantic egos in the same building.

A Penny-Pauline showdown. I'd pay to see that long as the money went to a legit charity!

• Love 3

What's with TLC? I've never felt the urge to comment on Internet forums like the unsquashable urge I have to post about their shows.

First off, I think What's Eating Gilbert Grape should be handed out at the door as soon as the caregiver children walk in with their parents along with phone numbers to a therapist.

As for Dr.Now treating them when he clearly knows they are not willing to help themselves after surgery, he can only do what he can. Every show he says he knows operating is their only hope. I think he's a wonderful man. At least he's trying. I'm sure he knows they are not long for this world but he does his part to give them some sort of chance....even a smidgen of hope is better than nothing.

I'm willing to bet that mental therapy is included in all cases but TLC has time constraints and would rather show the lumps and bumps than the frustrating tears and denial and excuses. We see that already in the hospital and homes.

Food must be a lot less expensive in the states than it is here in Canada. I could not afford to eat out like these people do, subsidy or not...

The poor kids. If they were caring for parents in homes who were substance abusers I.e. Drugs/alcohol, family members would hopefully be yanking them out of the home and getting them somewhere safe. Why don't people see food abuse in the same light? The children are being subjected to the same mental abuse and neglect. Imagine the guilt these kids are forced to live with. Flash forward to them as adults....they will either turn out on the same operating tables or be looking to have offspring to wipe them down themselves. It's a terrible prognosis either way.

Instead of go fund me bullshi7, these parents should be looking for ways to help the kids. Penny's husband should grab the kid and walk out the door. She can't go after him until she can walk and the courts could see she is incapable of caring for her child. All seems quite simple from where I'm sitting, but alas, I do know it's not simple. It's sad. Really really sad.

• Love 5

I'm not a regular viewer of this show but I saw Pauline's episode yesterday. Never have I wanted to reach through the tv and slap the shit out of someone as I did with her. What a manipulative beast! I have to admit that I laughed out loud when, while confronting her, Dr. Now commented, "Here come the tears."

I know of someone who had the bypass surgery and wasn't successful but she is honest about what has contributed to the failure. I think Pauline's head would explode (owwie!) if she were honest about her situation.

• Love 2

Saw Pauline's show as well last night and , wow, it was everything and more that people have been talking about here.  That poor, poor son of hers; "I'm doing this for him!' while she continues to ruin his life.

And what a contrast to the episode before. She (forget name) was willing to do anything to stay out of a wheelchair. Pauline looks like she's happy to spend the rest of her life in basically a motorized Barcalounger.  Even Dr. No was a bit aghast when she wheeled in for her last appointment.

I don't get the move to Houston. With morbid obesity such an epidemic, is Dr. No the only surgeon around willing to operate on such large patients?

• Love 2

I saw this one for the first time last night, too.  I think she may be the only one that I've ever yelled at the TV.  Her line about not having food choices near her just didn't sound right.  Another person who only believes what she wants to believe.  And I feel very sorry for her son.  He should not have to take care of his mother for forever.

• Love 1

Pauline came to mind today as I caught some of the results from the Boston Marathon. One woman who finished was a survivor of the bombings who ran with a prosthetic leg. Another was a man who lost both legs in Afghanistan and ran on two prosthetic legs. And she whined about a toe getting caught. They *ran* Pauline, after experiencing incredible physical and emotional traumas. You could haul your ass out of the Beastmaster and walk a little bit without experiencing an owwie on your footies. Sheesh.

• Love 10

It's very common to see people with missing limbs running in marathons. The legless people usually start last so you pass them after a turnaround. They often run together. I saw a woman with no arms in the last marathon I ran.

Many runners who are obviously not at their ideal weight finish marathons. You don't have to have the physique of a gazelle.

• Love 1

Many runners who are obviously not at their ideal weight finish marathons. You don't have to have the physique of a gazelle.

That was my point.  She's bitching about her freakin' toe getting caught in some fabric and there are people who are physically challenged who are doing some incredible things.  She appears content to sit in her wheelchair and complain how mean everyone is to her and how nobody understands.  They understand, Pauline, they understand that it's a big ol' steaming pile of bovine excrement.

• Love 1

I just watched this one.  She kept saying how she didn't want Dillon to walk into her bedroom and find her dead one morning because it would ruin his life.  And I have to say I saw a dark glint in Dillon's eye which suggested that was a situation he was looking forward to, and in fact probably prayed for every night.  Go ahead, Dillon!  Feed her up with chili-fries and fried chicken and pancakes  and pizza and hot dogs with the works.  See how many she can scarf down!  Sooner rather than later she will choke on a Cheezy.  She'll try and call out to you for help and you will stand by the door with a smile on your face...

• Love 1

I'm not a regular viewer of this show but I saw Pauline's episode yesterday. Never have I wanted to reach through the tv and slap the shit out of someone as I did with her. What a manipulative beast! I have to admit that I laughed out loud when, while confronting her, Dr. Now commented, "Here come the tears."

I felt the same exact way. I mean, I've felt that way about other people on TV but she was really an asshole. 

I am watching Pauline's story now. She's 50 years old and said that when she was six " there was no welfare back then."

AFDC was enacted in 1939. I was on food stamps myself in 1972. Big red flag there. maybe her mother didn't apply for assistance but I suspect she just makes stuff up.

• Love 1

I've never commented on this show's forums before because most people have covered what I've thought.

Not today.

Watched Pauline for the first time. I've never wanted to throat punch someone so badly before.  She wasn't kidding when she told Dr Now she manipulates her son. That poor kid. It looked like he gained what little weight she lost. 

I usually try to empathize, find some redeeming quality..etc  I tried to see if she had a redeeming quality. If there was one, I missed it.

Pauline was completely unrelatable, infuriating, and unsympathetic.

• Love 3

I saw her episode a few days ago. It seems to me if she actually tried to eat healthy and walk for exercise people would be more inclined to help her financially.

Just walking around her complex a couple of times a day would make huge changes for her. I walk 6 days a week for about 1.5 hours per day. I lose about a pound a week and that is with minor changes to my diet. She can do this if she wants to. I don't think her kid knows how to be a successful adult. He never saw anyone get up and go to work every day. I think he will develop her grifter ideals because that is what he knows.

• Love 1

Pauline, next to Penny, made just ill to watch! Here she gets another shot at bettering fear life with that sugery and she completely wastes it, thinking her measly 6 pound weight loss after surgery was something great. And I feel so sorry for her son, I actually don't see him as an enabler, Pauline is so controlling, manipulative, and demanding he's stuck in that situation. In my mind he should get his own place, move her potato chips to the kitchen, and tell her to walk there. And it set me crazy that whenever she had to move she cried and whined, she'll never get out of that wheelchair, and seeing her play bingo with the fattening sandwich was just it! I agree there should have been some psych evaluation with her before surgery, and her following a monitored diet on her own before getting approved...and our tax dollars are being spent on food stamps to buy her ice cream...and in the Sacramento supermarket where they got the tamales, that "let's go get a drinkie" line made me so mad I could have choked her, she's not 5 anymore!

Edited by firecrackerz26

To post again to stress my concern about Dillon, I feel awful for him. He clearly looked more overweight, depressed, empty, and unkempt after every passing month, you figure he was just eating fast food along with Pauline when she had it, which was all the time. He can't go very far away from the apartment because his demanding, manipulative, controlling, blob of a mother might need a bag of Cheetos. And I shutter to think he has to help her bathe and use the bathroom, it's just not right. And Pauline has mentally pushed him into the ground so bad he feels her health and weight are on his shoulders, if something happens to her, Dillon now feels responsible for it. It's just a sad situation for him. He should be offered some free psych counseling to help him get back on his feet.

He needs to be set free of her while there's still time! Have his own place, job, maybe some community college classes (especially since I saw here he had to drop out because of her), maybe he can make friends. He just needs to be far away from her fat, lazy, selfish behind. And how can a mother, like Pauline, and Penny, be so selfish regarding their kids best interest?

Edited by firecrackerz26
  • Love 1

Catching up on this one. She is truly amazing.

She knows so much better! than the professionals she's consulting! She know more about weight loss than Dr. Now. She knows more about what her body needs and what's dangerous that her physical therapist. She knows more about healthy eating than any nutritionist. She knows more about what's fair and what's reasonable than any and all of the above.

If she knows so damned much, why is she still in exactly the same situation?

As someone with an eating disorder, I've started watching this to remind myself where I've been and what I still need to do. This hour just taught me what kind of people to stay as far away as possible from. There's nothing surgery can do for her.

• Love 1

There's nothing surgery can do for her.

This was the first episode I've seen that didn't even attempt a happy ending.

Marla and Lupe, as infuriating as they were, appeared to maybe "get it" by the end of their episodes. But Pauline's ending consisted of Dr. Now saying "Well, you can't save everyone," followed by a shot of Pauline (and her increasingly scuzzy-looking son) chowing down on toasted cheese sandwiches while playing bingo in her wheelchair.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS

Im watching the "new extended version" and I'm more than half way thru and not one extra tid bit. The captions on the bottom just keep saying that an all new episode will air next week. I was hoping for some new info. Instead it's just the same old delusional lying Pauline. Im at the part where she thinks losing 6 pounds in 3 months after her surgery is good.

• Love 2

Also watched the extended this week and agree nothing new at all. 

Extended or not, Dr. Now reams her out in this one good though several times. This is as pissed as I've seen him, though I admit I'm not an avid watcher. 

Also love the part when the nurse goes "It [Pauline's weight] went up." And Pauline mouths off back to her. Cut back to the nurse with the "F off you fat bitch" look on her face. Love it. 

• Love 2

I've seen it before but watching it again it just was too too much the way she lied about the PT and kept saying she knew better and refused to walk. It was so obvious she was lying. Yeah Now told her off quite a few times, he was really annoyed with her.

• Love 1

Just watched this one for the first time.  SO much whining.  And thinking she knows better than the doctor.  News Flash: if you knew better you wouldn't be 700 lbs.  Also, I don't think bingo counts as "getting out and doing more."

• Love 1

Dr. Now doesn't know what he is talking about and I will do it MY WAY.

This is from another thread but it applies as well as to Pauline and   others who seem to be looking for an easy  out.  They start out desperate and we hear how Dr. Now is their last hope and praying he approves them for surgery. Some initial success but then more and more resistance to any change and outright denial. Then comes the "I didn't appreciate the doctors attitude." "I know my body". "I can do this on my own…..etc….etc."  Sigh.

• Love 1