Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Nacho

• Start Topic

I think you are on to something.  Episode 4 is called "Hero" and episode 5 is "Jello". 

I just thought the first two were similar (one word ending in "o") since they sort of work as one episode split into two parts. Then the third one threw me. Now you've confirmed it's a thing, I really, really want one of the episodes to be "Tio."

• Love 8

I just thought the first two were similar (one word ending in "o") since they sort of work as one episode split into two parts. Then the third one threw me. Now you've confirmed it's a thing, I really, really want one of the episodes to be "Tio."

Apparently, Vince Gilligan likes to have fun with titles.

I never knew this until I read it today, but the 4 season 2 BB episodes with the pink bear teasers were titled, in chronological order: "737 Down Over ABQ", which revealed what the teasers were foreshadowing.

• Love 2

The first half of the episode felt a little slow but the payoff in the second half of the episode was predictably worth it. 

Michael McKean's flashback Chuck McGill looked so much like a conservative lawyer type.  Really well done.  They weren't even trying with "young" Jimmy, however.  I don't think I care.  It was still nice to get that backstory.

I loved how they introduced more of Mike.  I've enjoyed this season so far but I personally felt an extra kick of energy when Jimmy and Mike had a more in depth scene of them kind of working together. 

The "KettleTeam" is over-the-top. I liked how we got to see Jimmy's instincts in tracking them down* and I loved how he opened the tent, freaking out the whole family, and then he seemed to realize that the parents deserved to be freaked out but the kids didn't.  So awkwardly Saul. 

*BB talk-I know one pool probably looks like another but did that kind of look like the Whites' backyard to anyone else?

• Love 7

"Screw you, geezer!"  I have to admit that had me laughing for quite a while.

Really good episode.  As pointed out, it started out slow as this show has a tendency to linger in one scene for a loooong time.  But it picked up nicely in the second half once Mike got involved heavily and Saul went looking for the family.  Also really enjoyed the earlier flashback with a "young" Charles and Jimmy.  Interesting backstory for Saul.  It also explains why he puts up with his brother's ridiculous electricity phobia.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 5

Thought it was another slower episode compared to the second one, but I did love finally getting more Mike!  Mike is the best!  Jonathan Banks is too!  And, Jimmy/Mike is really the best!  I like how they've began planting the seeds.  Jimmy now knows that he's not only a tough guy, but a former cop, who is still pretty intelligent, like the way he figured out what the Kettlemans were up too.  I can see how this leads to what their relationship will end up like on Breaking Bad.  I can't wait for more of this!

The opening flashback does explain why Jimmy is so loyal to Chuck and everything, but I thought it went on too long, and I'm still not as interested in this particular story, compared to the rest.

Finally got more of that Kim Wrexler character, besides just being part of the Hamlin law firm.  Sounds like she and Jimmy had a hell of a past.  I wonder what her part is going to be in all of this.

Despite his name being the title, Nacho really wasn't in this one too much, but I continue to enjoy Michael Mando in this role.

I have to admit Jimmy's "Here's Johnny!" reveal at the tent had me dying.  Bob Odenkirk seemed to be having so much fun in that scene.  In general, he seems to be having so much fun on this show.  I'm glad for him.

• Love 11

Saul completely failing at the voice changing thing was completely hilarious, as was his failure at the payphone, and the family's constant singing. 

Ha! When Jimmy was telling Kim about the warning call he made to the Kettlemans she said, "You didn't use the robot sex voice, did you?". Saul: "I did."

I LOL'ed very hard at that. Sounds like the paper-towel tube voice changer is something Jimmy has used in the past!

It's going to take a while for the show to find its groove but compared to a lot of other crap on TV I think I'm loving this show pretty good right about now.

• Love 13

God, I feel bad for the Kettleman kids.  Not only are their parents thieving bastards, but they're taken out to the middle of nowhere by said parents and made to sing camping songs.  The horror....the horror.

Also, the beginnings of Jimmy's/Saul's relationship with Mike.  So nice :)

Can't wait for the next episode.

• Love 11

Okay. I'm hooked. Vince Gilligan does it again.

If Mike is with him, maybe there's something to it....

jimmys-not-a-crackpot-he-just-thinks-the-embezzlers-kidnapped-themselves

one of the pleasures of Better Call Saul is that even though it's a crime show, it's definitely not the kind you see on CBS -- or, really, most shows in network primetime. We're not dealing with criminal supergeniuses playing cat and mouse with a just-slightly-smarter investigator

More than head and shoulders above the CSIs, the L&Os, the NCISs, etc., this show is Boston winter-of-2015-snow-level above those shows.

...Sounds like the paper-towel tube voice changer is something Jimmy has used in the past!...

Since that was still early in the episode, I was thinking: Well, it's not a giant magnet, but the night is still young. Heh. It sure was.

When Nacho jumped forward and banged his cuffs on the metal table, I jumped as much as Jimmy did. Heh.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6

I for one am super intrigued by Chuck.  He put his bigass 90s cell phone in the jail drawer, just like a mailbox.  What happened to him, and did Joe's magnet have anything to do with it?

I hope more than ever that the black and white flash forward from the pilot is going to be a serialized thing and continue.  I want Jimmy to win in the end, even if he just wins a little bit more than he is.  I mean in the flash forward, he already has a job, a cool apartment with a nice fireplace, and he is alive, so it's not that bad.  His entire future wouldn't need to be spelled out, but maybe just a little insinuation that there could be something interesting still in store for him.

• Love 2

If Jimmy hadn't warned the Kettlemens, Nacho could have really scored.  That was a lot of cash.  One more thing to eat away at Jimmy being a good guy.  

Having your kids sing John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt should be considered child abuse.  

• Love 7

The show has a much lighter tone than Breaking Bad so far... it might not be as captivating as the early stuff where Walt and Jesse have to figure out what to do with Krazy 8, but Gilligan and Co are smart. Jimmy McGill's path to becoming Saul Goodman is different than Walt's path to Heisenberg. Even at his worst, Saul would only advise his client to have someone whacked, he was never the one pulling the trigger (not that that would be off the table in the show's future). Saul's world is much more about scheming... and I'm totally fascinated by how Jimmy is going to get from where he is now to the unscrupulous Saul.

• Love 5

I'm totally hooked now. This episode was so much fun - despite careening from one mess to another, and all his scheming and fast-talking, Jimmy/Saul's good nature and conscience always seem to come through. I laughed out loud at, his high-tech voice disguise, the tent scene, and loved his interplay with Mike this episode. Curious to see what he got up to in his younger years that landed him in jail.

It's taking a bit of time for the series to find it's legs, but I'm enjoying the lighter tone. Looking forward to more.

• Love 7

I had a heck of a time buying that the detectives would give Jimmy that much leeway.  Once the quick little convos were going on b/t Jimmy and Kim, it was difficult for me to see why they were giving either of them much deference, and not a whole lot of bluster/threats.  Basically, Saul was given a whole lotta unjustified wiggle room for my liking.

I would much rather have seen what Mike was going to do to Saul and his car than for him to have just made a citizen arrest and/or hold Saul for cops to arrest.  You just know he had considered how to maximize the pain for Saul.

Since my standard for watching this is not BrBa, but if it is good on its own, I am really pleased, overall.  This show can become quite something of its own accord.  It's as good as anything new I've seen in years.

• Love 3

After kind of a slow start, I've loved these past two episodes.  Yes, the scenes between Chuck and Jimmy have lagged compared to everything else, but I'm intrigued by the flashback opening confirming my hunch that Chuck was once the long-suffering older brother who got him out of a bad situation and likely helped him start over in Albuquerque. I have faith in Gilligan and Co. that the story is leading somewhere.

The arrest of Nacho felt believable to me in contrast to a lot of what you usually see on lawyer/cop shows.  The license plate came up as his and there was blood in the van.  No one really cares about running DNA or the fact that they don't actually have any bodies to even prove the crime was committed.  Kim from the big law firm wants Jimmy to do the "right" thing and give up his client but isn't willing to do that to her own and risk her own payday no matter how many times she laments the poor children.

Loved loved loved all of Jimmy's interactions with Mike.  Loved Jimmy botching his attempts at an anonymous call (and pay phones!).  Loved Jimmy following his gut and bursting into the tent, saving those poor kids from however many verses of John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt (which yes, should rightly be considered child abuse).  Loved the tug of war over the bag of cash, which nicely sets up next week.  This is easily the best new show I've seen and the most fun in awhile.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 6
God, I feel bad for the Kettleman kids.  Not only are their parents thieving bastards, but they're taken out to the middle of nowhere by said parents and made to sing camping songs.  The horror....the horror.

The Kettlemans were the worst! Jimmy just did those kids a huge favor. If both their parents get locked away, those kids will have a real shot at a good life. 

"Heeeeere's Johnny!" was the best moment of the show! I was just dying. 

I'm continuing to really enjoy this. It's exciting, different, and hilarious at times. Loved seeing more of Mike and Jimmy together. 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 3

I for one am super intrigued by Chuck.  He put his bigass 90s cell phone in the jail drawer, just like a mailbox.  

Ah. Nice catch. I have to admit that I'm curious about what happened to Chuck. I liked this opening. I'm not sure I understand what Jimmy was arrested for. I know there's something about a sex offender. I think I heard "sunroof." So I'm picturing that he was standing in a car with his head out the sunroof while a woman was servicing him.

The Kettlemans. I like how the wife is the one in control. In the pilot when Jimmy was trying to get them to retain him as an attorney, she stopped her husband from signing. She always exhibited a subtle dominance over her husband.

When Jimmy was standing outside the house convincing the woman attorney (Kim?) that Nacho was innocent, I thought the family was hiding in the boat. I couldn't figure out how that would really work, so I'm glad that they were actually camping. BTW, when Jimmy goes back to look for them, why isn't the house taped off as a crime scene? Maybe it was still taped off out front.

Love Mike.

• Love 6

I am really starting to love this show. At the end of the episode, I realized I hadn't thought much about BrBa. I was truly invested in Jimmy, Nacho, the blonde attorney (can't remember her name), and even Mike on their own merit. But it's nice to recognize a little bit of "Saul" in Jimmy ("Hey, Cagney...Lacey" lol). I do hope Jimmy gets Nacho out of jail soon. He had until the end of the day, and he found the Kettlemans at bedtime. Hopefully Nacho will give some leniency since Jimmy most certainly got him completely off the hook (unless they decide to pursue the fact that Nacho WAS watching their house, which may not be illegal in and of itself, but it IS suspicious). Obviously, I know Nacho isn't going to kill Jimmy, but like last week, the fun is in the suspense of figuring out how he's going to save his own tail.

• Love 2

Like Mike was saying 'human nature is human nature...' But the Kettleman's, what was their eventual plan? Were they going to stay there till somehow things blew over? Or were they going to slowly camp their way out of the State?

Meant to add...I'm amazed Saul was able to find any kind of pay phone at all!

• Love 3

Ah. Nice catch. I have to admit that I'm curious about what happened to Chuck. I liked this opening. I'm not sure I understand what Jimmy was arrested for. I know there's something about a sex offender. I think I heard "sunroof." So I'm picturing that he was standing in a car with his head 

When Jimmy was standing outside the house convincing the woman attorney (Kim?) that Nacho was innocent, I thought the family was hiding in the boat. I couldn't figure out how that would really work, so I'm glad that they were actually camping. BTW, when Jimmy goes back to look for them, why isn't the house taped off as a crime scene? Maybe it was still taped off out front.

I was so certain that they were in that boat.  That boat has come up in two straight episodes and they did that long scene right next to it.  But the cops did seem competent so it really wouldn't make sense for the family to be THAT close.

• Love 2

Let me start by saying I love this show. I did not watch BB (the Couch Husband did, avidly) but because I admired Odenkirk's work in Fargo, and I love shows about how lawyers act in real life, I wanted to watch this one and I am loving it.

BUT no one embezzles $1.6 million dollars and ends up with it in a duffel bag. No bank allows you to cash more than $10,000 (?) at a time without alerting the IRS, so how did Mr. K get the money out of the county bank account and into cash? I could understand the cash in a bag if he was accused of taking bribes, but embezzling? No, that money would be in an offshore account under a LLC name controlled by a corporation that holds shares in another company that is owned by Mrs. K. Just saying.... I mean, no personal knowledge.....never mind......

• Love 4

I'm amazed Saul was able to find any kind of pay phone at all!

Finding a pay phone wouldn't have been difficult; it's where he found one that's remarkable. Any place that restricts cell phone use, like a hospital, would have had them. So did major fast-food chains like McDonalds. Maybe an auto repair shop. At the side of a road in an urban area, not so much (at least one that worked).

I had a heck of a time buying that the detectives would give Jimmy that much leeway.

I took it as a change in tactic; they're probably tailing him.

Finding a pay phone wouldn't have been difficult; it's where he found one that's remarkable. Any place that restricts cell phone use, like a hospital, would have had them. So did major fast-food chains like McDonalds. Maybe an auto repair shop. At the side of a road in an urban area, not so much (at least one that worked).

Isn't this taking place in the past?  In the days when they were called mobile phones, and not everyone had one?  In those days pay phones were still around, especially in lower income neighborhoods.

I took it as a change in tactic; they're probably tailing him.

• Love 1

I have to admit that I'm curious about what happened to Chuck. I liked this opening. I'm not sure I understand what Jimmy was arrested for. I know there's something about a sex offender. I think I heard "sunroof." So I'm picturing that he was standing in a car with his head out the sunroof while a woman was servicing him.

Jimmy said he was busted for “a simple Chicago sunroof.” People have since added definitions to Urban Dictionary, but there was nothing there when the show first aired. (Yes, I checked.) I think the writers just made it up. Didn't Chuck mention property damage, too? Maybe Jimmy was peeing in sunroofs.

Edited to add that my takeaway was that Jimmy grew up somewhere other than Albuquerque. And Jimmy's mother is still alive. (I guess she's Chuck's mother, too?)

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 3

I guessed it was probably something like that too from what they said. Without going back and rewatching, I remember hearing something about a sunroof and property damage and how Jimmy would be lucky not to be labeled a sex offender, so that would certain fit but I'm also not really sure it matters much in the grand scheme thing of things either.

And yes, pay phones were still everywhere in the early 2000s.  Cell phones weren't as much of a novelty by then as they had been in the '90s but lots of people still didn't have them yet.  Plans were horribly convoluted and charged by the minute with all sorts of complicated formulas for coverage vs. noncoverage areas and peak vs. offpeak times and you'd pay through the nose if you got it wrong.  In addition to hospitals and hotels, I remember using pay phones outside of gas stations, a Subway restaurant, and even an urban street corner.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 5

The show has a much lighter tone than Breaking Bad so far... it might not be as captivating as the early stuff where Walt and Jesse have to figure out what to do with Krazy 8, but Gilligan and Co are smart. Jimmy McGill's path to becoming Saul Goodman is different than Walt's path to Heisenberg. Even at his worst, Saul would only advise his client to have someone whacked, he was never the one pulling the trigger (not that that would be off the table in the show's future). Saul's world is much more about scheming... and I'm totally fascinated by how Jimmy is going to get from where he is now to the unscrupulous Saul.

I think this is the trouble I am having with the show, that once again this seems to be a story of transformation of one person over time.  While yes, the path is different for Jimmy to Saul than Walt to Heisenberg, I still feel like I have already seen a story like that on Breaking Bad and I don't really care that much about again seeing the "transformation" story of Jimmy to Saul.  I already watched a version of that show and feel like it would be hard to top it. Personally I'd rather watch Saul be Saul and stories surrounding his other clients besides Walt.  That is what I expected of the show.  Going back in time is fine, but I don't really want the whole series to focus on how Jimmy becomes Saul from start to finish, because then we aren't going to see much Saul, who I think is much more fun to watch than Jimmy. 

I like the show OK, I think I am still adjusting to the show and what I expected, which was more Saul and less Jimmy.  Even if they are going to tell this story over time of the transformation, then I would almost prefer them jumping back and forth between Saul and Jimmy and comparing/contrasting them.    Again will still keep watching and I find it interesting, but I still find myself more underwhelmed by it and still feel it moves slow. 

But ratings are good, critics seem to like it....so what do I know? 

• Love 4

Jimmy and Chuck are in the Cook County Jail, which explains why Jimmy is scared to death when Chuck get up to leave; it's one of the worst county lock-ups in the country. I think Jimmy and Chuck are Chicago natives, and Chuck has moved to Albuquerque to practice law, and has been successful. Later, he obviously begins to suffer from severe mental illness, likely after Jimmy has emulated him by going to law school.

I suspect Chuck's mental illness is either going to eventually get him killed, perhaps by suicide, or drive him to kill somebody, resulting in long incarceration or commitment to a mental institution, and this will cause a tectonic shift in Jimmy, in the manner that a cancer diagnosis caused in Walter White. I think they are doing the backstory quite skillfully, to get us to understand the extreme loyalty Jimmy feels for his older brother. I bet Chuck foots the bill for Jimmy's law school tuition.

• Love 2

The opening flashback does explain why Jimmy is so loyal to Chuck and everything, but I thought it went on too long, and I'm still not as interested in this particular story, compared to the rest.

Oh, I am. Property damage? Assault charges? Sex offender? Chicago sunroof? I want to see how all that ties together. 

"Heeeeere's Johnny!" was the best moment of the show! I was just dying.

He said that to Chuck in the opening flashback also. Don't know when that was taking place, but because it was a flashback I assumed Jimmy was referencing Jack Nicholson in The Shining. I think he definitely was during the tent scene.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 3

I'm finally in, I feel like this is the episode they found their footing, and have a path to escape from BB's huge shadow.

I'm just spitballin' here, but my take on the opening scene: we know it was in Chicago, because they mentioned Cook County jail and Chicago sunroof = sex offender. I interpreted this as being the final crime of "Slippin' Jimmy" who had the bad luck to try to scam a woman driving a car with a sunroof. He expertly rolls over the hood, but unfortunately he fell through the sunroof and landed on her- probably in a compromising way- and since his petty record as SJ probably came up, he's now jailed on charges stemming from both the con itself, and his unfortunate fall through a sunroof to tack on a "bullshit" sex offender charge.

Chuck, at wit's end with his useless failure of a brother, presumably extracted a promise in that prison room from Jimmy to go clean, and to get his law degree so he defend the law instead of breaking it. The show will likely show us that promise made and fulfilled, and the reformation of Slippin' Jimmy into poor but noble James McGill, in a series of flashbacks that run in parallel with Jimmy's inevitable slide right back into the grey and then dark side of crime as weasely Saul Goodman. At least, that's how I'd write and edit it.

I also didn't see the preview for next week, so I don't know what happens with the Kettlemans- but at the risk of being embarrassingly wrong, I think he comes up with an on-the-spot fix that not only gets Nacho out but gets him the Kettlemans as clients along with a sweetheart plea deal. And thus begins the legend of Saul Goodman, the best goddamn attorney in the world.

Edited by hincandenza
  • Love 5

I'm enjoying the show, but I don't understand why Jimmy seems more stupid than Saul.  This is a character that started out as a teenage con artist and then had an epiphany in his twenties to become a better person thanks to his brother, and is now a practicing attorney in his thirties.  If he's not yet familiar with specific legal or political machinations then that would make sense... but Jimmy doesn't seem to think as quickly on his feet as Saul and that was largely the appeal of that character.

I can understand if he were a naive, bookish kid that gradually became Saul that this difference would make sense, but it doesn't make sense that Jimmy would lose his street smarts when he became a law student, then regain them when he started to become Saul.

This being said, I don't get the people that bail on this show after two or three episodes.  If you do a search by user rating on Breaking Bad on Imdb, you will find that out of the nearly 60,000 films and tv shows with over 200 votes... it is ranked number #2 and Saul is ranked #13.  I'm not saying that all of us should have the same tastes nor am I saying that imdb ratings are the definitive arbiter of quality, but I'm thinking if you're not satisfied with shows at this level (99.9 percentile) what do you do for entertainment in the meantime... wait ten years until David Simon or David Chase come up with a new show?  I don't mean to troll, but I truly wonder what shows they would leave to watch that would be at the same level of quality?

Edited by Sentient Meat
  • Love 1

...I'm not sure I understand what Jimmy was arrested for. I know there's something about a sex offender. I think I heard "sunroof." So I'm picturing that he was standing in a car with his head out the sunroof while a woman was servicing him....

Since this is Vince Gilligan, I'm going with this theory, which, to me, is totally Occam's Razor.

...The Kettlemans. I like how the wife is the one in control. In the pilot when Jimmy was trying to get them to retain him as an attorney, she stopped her husband from signing. She always exhibited a subtle dominance over her husband...

Thanks for reminding me about that scene. Again, since this is Vince Gilligan, I can easily foresee part of the endgame being Mrs. Kettleman and Jimmy working together. She might even be a precursor to Walter White.
  • Love 1

I'm enjoying the show, but I don't understand why Jimmy seems more stupid than Saul.  This is a character that started out as a teenage con artist and then had an epiphany in his twenties to become a better person thanks to his brother, and is now a practicing attorney in his thirties.  If he's not yet familiar with specific legal or political machinations then that would make sense... but Jimmy doesn't seem to think as quickly on his feet as Saul and that was largely the appeal of that character.

Oh, I don't know.... that desert scene where he bargained with Tuco on the Douchebag Twins's behalf, getting a death sentence down to a broken leg each, was some pretty quick thinking.  Not everyone could have done that.  I definitely see a lot of Saul in Jimmy... just not quite as well-formed yet. 

• Love 8

Jimmy is still pretty quick on his feet.  He just hasn't identified all of his possible tools yet.  Nor does he fully understand that he is potentially dealing with sociopaths.  When he negotiated down to a broken leg each, he did not understand at first how "an eye for an eye" would be seen as "So you want me to blind them?"  He needs some time to truly understand his audience - his creepy, volatile audience.  

• Love 4

Though it's certainly early days, I'm just charmed by it, in fact it's my favorite show of the entire season, which includes going back through the fall.  Bob O. is doing a great job of keeping Jimmy's essential human goodness front and center, despite and through all of the shenanigans, I'm believing Jimmy as someone who wants to do good and make a difference for others.

Oh, I don't know.... that desert scene where he bargained with Tuco on the Douchebag Twins's behalf, getting a death sentence down to a broken leg each, was some pretty quick thinking.  Not everyone could have done that.  I definitely see a lot of Saul in Jimmy... just not quite as well-formed yet. 

Jimmy is still pretty quick on his feet.  He just hasn't identified all of his possible tools yet.  Nor does he fully understand that he is potentially dealing with sociopaths.  When he negotiated down to a broken leg each, he did not understand at first how "an eye for an eye" would be seen as "So you want me to blind them?"  He needs some time to truly understand his audience - his creepy, volatile audience.  

My point is that he starts out as a sociopath ("Slippin Jimmy") and then thanks to his brother decides to reform.  He's not an innocent so he should be able to recognize others of his breed.  This story would play out more believably if he started out naive and then became corrupted.

As far as Saul goes, I don't think he'd make those clumsy phone calls to the Kettlemans with the towel roll nor make those fumbling calls to Nacho.  I also don't think he'd try to bring in the Kettleman's himself, but instead wait for the police to come.  Don't get me wrong, though... I still like the show.  I just wish they left out the part about how he was a con artist as a young man if he's going to be naive as a younger lawyer.