Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: Robyn: Behind the Scenes

• Start Topic

The same thing happens to me if I get really nervous or angry.  The strange thing is that it also happens sometimes when I drink alcohol or eat ... but not always. 

My doc told me it's a reaction to an increase in body heat, which can be due to hormonal changes, foods or stress.

Before I read your last sentence I thought to myself "oh yea it happens when i drink sometimes too!"  because alcohol rises my body temp A LOT lol

• Love 1

Viewership was not good:  1.187 M viewers and a .4 rating.  If they can shed just 200 to 300K more viewers, then we can wave good bye to the Kody show.  

Even with the *engineered* "surprise" expose of the divorce/remarriage *which was almost certainly done purely for plotlines and to keep the show alive* all over the reality show gossips pages, people STILL could not be bothered to tune in, and/or intentionally avoided the show, knowing from experience that the snark recaps all over the Net would be far more entertaining.   I am one of those people by the way.  Haven't watched all season.  Stopped watching after the RV episode where Kody got dumped on.

No viewers, no advertisers, no ad money, no show.  I look forward to that.  Yeah I know.  They'll just file bankruptcy.  Again.

• Love 6

iirc, the inventory "value" was said while they were in that plg junk shop/museum on a trip, and they were talking about selling some of the joory there. I'm sorry I can't find any clips/old episodes to be sure, but it was after they tanked at the investor meetings, and were talking about securing a loan from the shopkeeper.

But yeah, those $$ wouldn't get past a high school trained bookkeeper, let alone an auditor. Anything they borrowed and sunk into the Mswc still only gets deducted against robyn, and with all her kids, she's a better tax spouse than Meri.

• Love 2

Okay, please don't judge me but we're on week four of being essentially snowed in and I have too much free time...

I went out to their crappy website and did some quick estimating and I find it hard to even get to forty thousand for their inventory, even at retail prices. They have about twenty categories of crap, about twenty items in each category, and most of the categories are cheap sweatshop items they can probably get for less than $4 each. Even their hideous "Fine Jewelry" ( most of which is marked down quite a bit at this point) is again crap they can probably source by the piece, but even if they keep ten pieces each on hand, I can't even get to more than maybe $8000 total for those items and that's stretching it.

If Kody plans to write off four hundred grand on that inventory, I hope the IRS tears him a new one.

But Kody says it's fun!!!!!!!! https://twitter.com/realkodybrown/status/564635669339713536

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 2

It boggles my mind that these women refuse to acknowledge or accept that Kodouche is banging a different woman every night.

Different woman every night? He probably stopped having sex with Meri and Janelle a long time ago. Christine was the third wife -- the cute and young wife -- for a while and got Kody's sexy time (as if it is a prize). They stopped having sex on the regular once Robyn became a wife. So, he isn't sleeping with a different woman every night, he's sleeping with Robyn -- his now legal wife and true delusional soul mate.
  • Love 9

I enjoyed the Salute to Robin mostly because of the old clips.  You can definitely see Janelle's weight loss.  Say what you will about her not progressing, she has come a LONG way and good for her.  

I had forgotten about Meri's (and curiously Christine's) blotchiness.  She must have some kind of rosacea, hence the orange spackle.  

In the clips there were scenes where in the background both Meri and Janelle were holding young children in their laps, and seemed happy about doing it. 

This season Dayton has shown himself to be a very thoughtful and eloquent young man.  I can't imagine he was that much different a few years ago, at least within the family unit.  It's entirely possible HE chose the name he wanted to go by, for whatever reason.  At any rate, I think he would have objected if he DIDN'T like it, and whatever my feelings about the Browns, I honestly don't think they would call a child by a name he wasn't fully on board to be called.   As completely unexpected as it is, given the marital dysfunction (multiplied!), and shocking, considering how damn many of them there are, I think the Brown kids are pretty universally good and well adjusted kids.  The oldest are old enough that we'd have heard behind the scenes stuff about them (a la the Roloffs) if there were anything to report.  And none of that happens by accident, let alone times 20 or however many there are.

As for the bankruptcy thing, they need to think long and hard about the Giudices.  Yes, the authorities may well hold off for fear of being accused of targeting them because of their religion, but if I were the Browns I wouldn't count on that protection.  They've declared bankruptcy x number of times in x number of combinations.  They make major money on their own cable network show.  They "own" 4 large pieces of property but don't necessarily pay their hospital bills.  Another round of bankruptcy roulette may be the end.  Not sure if it would result in prosecution, but the bankruptcy courts can just say "no," can't they?  Maybe they are gambling that if that happens it's a win because it buys them more tv time to bewail their oppression.  But I think it's a risky strategy.

I also think they are walking the line against being accused of what they are actually doing, which is actively conspiring to accumulate debt with the intention to never pay it off.  There's a pretty strong paperwork trail here PLUS they are already in the public eye which makes it a teachable moment for others doing (or considering) the same thing.  The authorities may determine that the risk of the religious persecution accusations are nothing in relation to the evidence they can refute them with.

• Love 4

Robyn is a manipulator.  I don't care how dumb she seems.  I'm think Robyn "offered" to be Kody's legal wife in order to give the other sister wives (a.k.a. "single moms"), who have the bulk of the older kids, the "opportunity" to secure as much financial aid as possible for college.  Her kids are still quite young.  I'm sure she approached it as "taking one for the team"... Kinda like when she offered to birth Meri's baby for her.

The reality though, as someone posted earlier here (or on Cynical Jinx's blog), Robyn's kids are VERY close in age to Christine's:

Paedon 16.5

Gwendlyn  13.5

Ysabel  12

Truely 4

Dayton 15

Aurora 12.5

Breanna 9.5

Solomon 3.5

• Love 2

I think they are still involved, though maybe not as much as they were.

It boggles my mind that these women refuse to acknowledge or accept that Kodouche is banging a different woman every night.

Sorry my quoting is screwed up. [Mod note--I fixed it!--Rhondinella] That seems to be how these women live with polygamy. Deny everything in your mind. On every show TLC and others have done about it the women have admitted they don't like to think about their husband with his other wives, and they basically seem to do their hardest to blank that out in their minds, so they literally do find it hard to acknowledge.

Edited by Rhondinella
  • Love 2

On every show TLC and others have done about it the women have admitted they don't like to think about their husband with his other wives, and they basically seem to do their hardest to blank that out in their minds, so they literally do find it hard to acknowledge.

I wish they would realize if they have to do this, they really aren't cut out for polygamy or all for it. They could save

themselves somuch pain and actually have a happy life and happy marriage if they went the normal route. I can't

imagine what it must be like to be in marriage like that every day.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 3

Sorry my quoting is screwed up. That seems to be how these women live with polygamy. Deny everything in your mind. On every show TLC and others have done about it the women have admitted they don't like to think about their husband with his other wives, and they basically seem to do their hardest to blank that out in their minds, so they literally do find it hard to acknowledge.

I don't know how they do it.  I tried to think about it along the lines of their "religious" beliefs -  if I truly thought this was the only way to heaven, etc.  However, I know without any shadow of a doubt that I could not do it.  There is no way I could block that out of my mind even one night.  No wonder these women are constantly in tears.  And why does it not seem to bother Kody that his wives are sad most of the time?  If he truly loved them, or even cared a little bit, he would want to offer comfort to them.  A real man hurts when his wife is hurting.  Oh yeah, guess I just answered my own question.....

• Love 5
And why does it not seem to bother Kody that his wives are sad most of the time?

Cult leaders rarely care about the feelings of their subjects.  Their only interest is subjugating as many sheep as they can gather up.

• Love 8

And why does it not seem to bother Kody that his wives are sad most of the time?  If he truly loved them, or even cared a little bit, he would want to offer comfort to them.  A real man hurts when his wife is hurting.  Oh yeah, guess I just answered my own question.....

This is where Kody crosses the line from silly moron to cruel narcissist. It's easy to look at Kody and figure he's just an idiot who needs a hair cut but he really is cruel. He knows his wives are miserable and doesn't care. He knows which buttons to push to cause stress and pain... and he pushes them. Then he just sits back and watches.  

• Love 11

I don't know how they do it.  I tried to think about it along the lines of their "religious" beliefs -  if I truly thought this was the only way to heaven, etc.  However, I know without any shadow of a doubt that I could not do it.  There is no way I could block that out of my mind even one night.  No wonder these women are constantly in tears.  And why does it not seem to bother Kody that his wives are sad most of the time?  If he truly loved them, or even cared a little bit, he would want to offer comfort to them.  A real man hurts when his wife is hurting.  Oh yeah, guess I just answered my own question.....

Hey but ya know, it just makes all of them "better".  according to Meri, the dissed one.

All of the jealousy, bitterness, pain, tears, manipulation, comparisons (between self and others)...

Not to mention the constant watching of the husband -- is he being overly affectionate with another woman?  Is he spending more time at her house?  Paying more attention to that one's kids?  Is he picking a fight and ruining my chances for sex tonight because he wants to have it with someone else?  If we do have sex, is he even present, or is he fantasizing about her?  He always tells me that the others mean nothing to him, that I am the only love in his life... is that true, because he seems to love that one, too? 

It's exhausting, and their immune system responses to all of that stress must be devastating.  Assuming, of course, that they still feel these things, the ulcers, the migraines, the constant nervous stomach.  All over the flamboyant, beady-eyed, egocentric Mr Brown.  AND THEY WANT THEIR BELOVED DAUGHTERS TO GO THROUGH THE SAME SHIT????

Screw that.  I think that's why Janelle sat next to Maddie like a guard dog during their fake-smiled, falsely sincere "talk".  She let those idiots grill HER daughter for a few minutes and then ended it when she said, "cool" and told them that she's satisfied with Maddie's choice. 

Good for Janelle. 

• Love 10

It's exhausting,

AND they want to go through this in their afterlife too? No thank you. Personally, I am all about living a peaceful, useful, fulfilling life without purposely adding hurdles that test me and others to the point where I am crying daily. I am also not religious. But I respect other's beliefs. Faith should be supporting and uplifting. It should not be so damn difficult, abusive and degrading on a daily basis to half it's worshipers in order for them to go to heaven, where they will continue to be subject to the same abuses.

• Love 11

AND they want to go through this in their afterlife too? No thank you. Personally, I am all about living a peaceful, useful, fulfilling life without purposely adding hurdles that test me and others to the point where I am crying daily. I am also not religious. But I respect other's beliefs. Faith should be supporting and uplifting. It should not be so damn difficult, abusive and degrading on a daily basis to half it's worshipers in order for them to go to heaven, where they will continue to be subject to the same abuses.

Exactly.  Anyone who hasn't read thePrinciple blog, or any other resource about this "religion" (which, imo, amounts to little more than persecution of its own members) should enlighten themselves.  The escapees' stories are harrowing, the brainwashing is devastating, the child sexual and physical abuse is horrifying, the ties between the Browns, the Bradys, the Dargers and all of that horror is enlightening, etc.  For anyone who hasn't looked deeply into this craziness: prepare to be involved in the subject.  I've spent hours on the Principle blog without even realizing it! lol! 

• Love 3

There was a journal of a

Pioneer Mormon polygamist who wrote she could take it in the day time when things were busy in the house and she could distract herself with all the things she and the other wife needed to do, but at night, when she heard her husband's boots hit the floor of the other wife's room, THAT was the sound that made her go all to pieces.

• Love 3

Screw that.  I think that's why Janelle sat next to Maddie like a guard dog during their fake-smiled, falsely sincere "talk".  She let those idiots grill HER daughter for a few minutes and then ended it when she said, "cool" and told them that she's satisfied with Maddie's choice. 

Good for Janelle. 

I may be in the minority on this, but I didn't think it was so bad that all the parents sat and spoke to Maddie together. I didn't think they were grilling her too bad, just trying to see how she came about this decision. It was also one of the few times I've seen them recently coming together for a common cause, with all the complaining they've been doing about not parenting each others' kids. I agree that as the mother, Janelle's approval or understanding of Maddie's conversion is the most important, but at least it showed they all cared. That being said, I am no big defender of the Brown family. 

• Love 1

I may be in the minority on this, but I didn't think it was so bad that all the parents sat and spoke to Maddie together. I didn't think they were grilling her too bad, just trying to see how she came about this decision. It was also one of the few times I've seen them recently coming together for a common cause, with all the complaining they've been doing about not parenting each others' kids. I agree that as the mother, Janelle's approval or understanding of Maddie's conversion is the most important, but at least it showed they all cared. That being said, I am no big defender of the Brown family. 

I see what you're saying, and it wasn't really a "grilling"... more of a controlled conversation, but I felt it was all for the show and to prove their critics wrong.

All of the concern for Maddie's religious well-being seemed fake (and strangely sudden) to me.  The coming together as a parental unit for Maddie's sake also seemed fake to me, mainly because of the not funny "shoveling food and smores into Kody's mouth" incidents and then the "anthropologists" saying that at least the women were "working together".  It felt like this whole show, and the anthropologists approval, was done to show the viewers how they actually are ONE UNIT, and not 4 separate ones. 

I know that I could be wrong, or way too cynical, but I don't believe for a second that these things aren't planned.  They just HAD to have a meeting with Maddie about her very personal religious choice while those fake students were there, and in front of the camera?  For Maddie's sake, I hope that it was all done out of love, and not for ratings or to prove their critics wrong because I really like Maddie. 

• Love 6

I haven't watched the episode, so can't honestly speak to how it went down. I guess it's good if/when they EVER are able to act like a united parental front, and I suppose the Brown kids are sort of used to this group chat format (although I doubt it actually happens THAT often). I just keep thinking about how much I didn't love it when my parents did the parent-child sit-down with me, and my gut tells me that Maddie would go into such a scenario with her reactions on a tight leash--really, it takes ALL THESE PEOPLE to give their blessing? Especially with self-important, know-it-all ROBYN (who Maddie has, on previous shows, laughed at for her reactions to things)--I would want desperately to ask her to step off and butt out.

Edited by NewBaku
  • Love 1

I don't think they should have questioned Maddie at all on camera..her religion should be a private thing. Same with disciplining the boys..should have been done in private period.

Perhaps she volunteered because she's an adult now and can get paid for the scene?
  • Love 1
This is where Kody crosses the line from silly moron to cruel narcissist. It's easy to look at Kody and figure he's just an idiot who needs a hair cut but he really is cruel. He knows his wives are miserable and doesn't care. He knows which buttons to push to cause stress and pain... and he pushes them. Then he just sits back and watches.

I'd even go so far as to say Kody knows they're miserable and he ENJOYS it. Because they're miserable over him. I'm sure it inflates his ego even more to know that he has such power over 4 different women. 

I don't think they should have questioned Maddie at all on camera..her religion should be a private thing. Same with disciplining the boys..should have been done in private period.

I agree. And I don't even think she really needed to be questioned on the decision, period. She's an adult and free to make her own religious choices. She does not owe anyone an explanation. Had I been her mother, I might have told her I was curious about her choice and if she felt like discussing it with me, I'd be here. And leave it at that. 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 4

I agree, but with Mormonism, her supposed conversion and talking on TV about it is about the same as all the white shirted clean cut young men who bombard neighborhoods to convert you.   Maddie will be pressured to convert her family and anyone else she comes into contact with.   The missionaries who got ahold of Maddie probably suggested she talk about it on the show or made her think it was her idea.

Well the mainline LDS teachings and AUB teachings seem similar and the AUB publicly accepts the LDS as a Mormon organisation, which not all of the fundamentalist sects do. So Maddie preaching at them would be mostly anti polygamy stuff. I wonder if it's just a way of declaring herself publicly monogamist rather than any other reason. She's found a new group of friends who mostly believe what her previous church believes but are anti polygamy. Admittedly I would guess that would be hard for a lot of the adults to swallow, since it dominates all their lives' and is the reason all the women are unhappy and its a big deal for her to tell them that, but doctrinally its not "we're traditional Catholic, how did our daughter decide to become Wiccan".

I would imagine/hope that since she's over 18 Maddie was fine that she was discussing it on TV and could have said no way if she wasn't.

• Love 2

Apparently usually on TLC shows the family get one sum of money and then its distributed as they see fit seeing as they need these shows as dirt cheap as they can get them. It is widely believed that the adult Duggar kids that aren't Josh don't get anything expect what JimBoob dolls out as allowance, and no one is really sure about Josh's status. Anna from HBB didn't receive any money once she turned 18. It's most likely the same with the polygamy shows. We've barely seen a lot of them since they graduated, if they were getting a personal check from TLC I would imagine they'd have more incentive to show up more often. Maddie may not have gotten any extra money fro TLC but I hope she got something from her parents for agreeing to add some actual socially relevant and interesting issues into this boring mess. Or that all of the kids over 18 do when they are featured. They are the only good thing about the show.

• Love 3

I'd even go so far as to say Kody knows they're miserable and he ENJOYS it. Because they're miserable over him. I'm sure it inflates his ego even more to know that he has such power over 4 different women. 

I suspect this is true as well. There are times he appears to smirk when they are upset, crying or clearly in pain. He's not a nice man.

• Love 8
I really like Janelle a lot but never more than when she just outright said about Sister Wives Closet: "It is a HOBBY"

Co-sign. That little dose of honesty, addressing the elephant in the room, was awesome. As was the quivering, crestfallen face on old Sobyn. Priceless. 

• Love 8

Did anyone else notice Meri's neck and how she had these angry red splotches while Robyn was telling her she was pregnant?    

Everyone who watched it with me has adopted Meri's flat 'yay.'  whenever someone gives some kind of news that no one cares about, or they are not enthused about what is for dinner or just to give someone crap. That yay has turned into an evergreen, sarcastic meme around here.

• Love 6

I wanted to punch Cody in the face when they showed the clip of him at courting robin's house and Christine called because her water broke and he told robin 'I have to go because THAT baby is coming'. Fuck you Cody. He shouldn't have been at robins to begin with, at that point he had 3 other 'wives' living in the same house with one of them obviously expecting any day. Take a week's break from courting and stay home with your 'family' and be a part of your responsibility at hand instead of trying to wet your nasty little dick in a new hole.

• Love 5

That scene, which I think hadn't been shown before (?--or else I slept through it) of the moment they actually started for real the website was very, very telling.  It was quite clear that they all expected they would turn on the website and within hours, heck within MINUTES, they would be raking in tons of dough.  Because surely all their millions of fans would just be clamoring to pay waaay overinflated prices for really badly designed jewelry.  I mean, it was from THEM right?  It almost doesn't matter what the product is--everyone wants a piece of THEM!  (And God bless the commenter who told them she'd have to mortgage her house to buy their jewelry.  Heh).

So the business failure wasn't just due to naivete over how difficult it is to create a successful business of ANY kind these days, let alone online, but willful DELUSION about their own appeal to the public.

I've said it before, but it's so true: these people seem to think that the rest of the world should support them for making their families their "job".  They are focused on the "right" thing, family, not getting ahead in a career.  And the world should reward them for it by just handing them money so they don't have to spend one precious second away from each other doing actual work.  I think that's what irritates me more than anything else.

• Love 13

So the business failure wasn't just due to naivete over how difficult it is to create a successful business of ANY kind these days, let alone online, but willful DELUSION about their own appeal to the public.

I've said it before, but it's so true: these people seem to think that the rest of the world should support them for making their families their "job".  They are focused on the "right" thing, family, not getting ahead in a career.  And the world should reward them for it by just handing them money so they don't have to spend one precious second away from each other doing actual work.  I think that's what irritates me more than anything else.

WORD. It is this sort of entitlement that is disgusting. Their job is to show their lives on a "reality" show. Then they play games with cliff-hangers about pregnancy and divorce. Like we are so enamored with them, they can do anything and we will lap it up. They really need to get over themselves. TLC, pull the plug.

• Love 5

I really like Janelle a lot but never more than when she just outright said about Sister Wives Closet: "It is a HOBBY".

I loved that they showed this. It was also hysterical when they were launching their website and Meri said something along the lines of how she was concerned that they had all these website visitors but no one was buying anything. How prophetic she was.

• Love 5

Oh, yes...I had forgotten all about the epi where their website went live. I laughed my head off at the time, and it WAY funnier now, the way they huddled around the computer. They actually believed that the minute they had the site up, a tsunami of cash was going to pour in. That level of ignorance is pretty much a guarantee of failure.

• Love 4

I finally watched this episode, and it really struck me that Robyn and Janelle NEVER interact with each other, except when they fight over My Sister Wives Closet. We never see them sitting together, or working together, or having any kind of conversation. And I don't think I've ever seen Janelle interact with Robyn's kids. Christine may be resentful, but Janelle is totally separate from Robyn. When they covered Robyn coming in to the family, they went into how jealous Christine was, but we never heard how Janelle really feels about Robyn.

• Love 4

I finally watched this episode, and it really struck me that Robyn and Janelle NEVER interact with each other, except when they fight over My Sister Wives Closet. We never see them sitting together, or working together, or having any kind of conversation. And I don't think I've ever seen Janelle interact with Robyn's kids. Christine may be resentful, but Janelle is totally separate from Robyn. When they covered Robyn coming in to the family, they went into how jealous Christine was, but we never heard how Janelle really feels about Robyn.

I think Janelle sees right through Robyn, but just wants to lay low and avoid the conflict. Robyn is terrified of Janelle's no nonsense attitude, though, and avoids her. 

Robyn is also making an effort to separate her kids (and probably herself) from Christine. Now, I don't blame her for that one. I'd be afraid Christine would be come unhinged and they'd find a big hole in the dessert with my name on it, if I were Robyn.

Meri WAS her ally, but now that Meri has refused the Magical Surrogate Baby Plot and then backed out of Sister Wives' closet, I think Robyn knows Meri is not on her side. Meri may be more on Robyn's side than she is on Janelle and Christine's, but Meri is going to put her needs first.

Robyn is quickly digging her own grave with her sister wives, and she and Kody deserve whatever they get from the mess they've created.

• Love 1
Janelle was really excited over Solomon's birth and has been filmed holding him. They do seem to like babies.

I was quite shocked to see Jenelle tearing up when they were re-watching his birth. It seems, to me, that she really does believe in the concept of their family unit and loves all the children - she just probably can't stand Robyn. And I can't really blame her. 

Meri WAS her ally, but now that Meri has refused the Magical Surrogate Baby Plot and then backed out of Sister Wives' closet,

I think the surrogacy thing was a REAL letdown to Robyn. She wanted to come off as this wonderful, selfless saint, but I really thought she was doing it to have more power in the family, especially over the first wife. I was glad Meri said no to her.

• Love 6

Oh, yes...I had forgotten all about the epi where their website went live. I laughed my head off at the time, and it WAY funnier now, the way they huddled around the computer. They actually believed that the minute they had the site up, a tsunami of cash was going to pour in. That level of ignorance is pretty much a guarantee of failure.

I do my bit by visiting daily to help the hit count. Just for the lulz, really- I mean, who could resist a site that has products such as a GENUINE WATCH???  http://mysisterwifescloset.com/shop/genuine-watch-rose-gold/

Edited by MargDelahunty
  • Love 5