Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 02/09/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

During that conversation about how the news has evolved from Walter Cronkite's time, I wish someone had mentioned the revocation of the "Fairness Doctrine" during the Reagan administration. News organizations are no longer required to be honest or unbiased (present opposing views).

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 6

Dang, I just heard on the news she was leaving and she and her wife, Michelle separated in November.  I am on vacation so not keeping up with things. 

HBO

Thanks.  Damn again! My son does not have HBO and that is where I am.  What is it about?

Well...that was just ridiculous and shows the amount of regard (or lack thereof) that The View has for its audience.  They're going to milk this until the end to pull in the viewers.  Elephant in the room, indeed.

• Love 4

Well...that was just ridiculous and shows the amount of regard (or lack thereof) that The View has for its audience.  They're going to milk this until the end to pull in the viewers.  Elephant in the room, indeed.

I missed today. What happened???

I missed today. What happened???

Nothing.  Business as usual.  No mention of Rosie leaving or the changes in her status.

If Rosie were the stand-up person that many feels she is, she would have addressed her situation straight out.  The fact that she either determined she wasn't going to mention her leaving or that she allowed ABC to ignore it lowers any small admiration I may have had for her.

I'm not surprised at all about her bailing out.  When the announcement was first made that she was returning, I was one of the dissenters who thought the Whoopi/Rosie blend would not go well, and I haven't been swayed otherwise.  At this point, Rosie can move on, and I won't miss her.

• Love 1

I wonder what benefit they see to not making an on air announcement today.  Since the "official" reason is Rosie's health, today would have been the logical time to mention it since she discussed her heart health documentary.  Maybe they think all the viewers heard the news, but I'm sure there are some who haven't.  Maybe they don't want a boast in ratings for Rosie's last few days. 

Thanks for posting the link to the Variety article. I too think it is a combination of everything that had Rosie choose to leave early. 

• Love 1

I forgot to record it this morning, but looks like I didn't miss anything.  merriebreeze thanks for the article.  It seems working there really seems like a health hazard.  The show doesn't know what it wants to be anymore; clearly the staff is feeling that the overhaul and shift to the news department isn't doing anything other than having too many people exerting control.  I do think it's time for ABC to cut their losses and end the show in May. 

• Love 5

Nothing.  Business as usual.  No mention of Rosie leaving or the changes in her status.

Oh good grief. Do  they think we don't have internet access???

or a message board that was on fire this weekend???

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 4

Well that was...strange.  

I have a feeling that Whoopi is part of the reason the announcement from over the weekend won't be touched upon until later in the week.  Why would she let someone else draw attention away from herself?  She could see this as the "Farewell Week of Rosie" and won't allow it.  I'm sure we will get a farewell Rosie party on Friday that was pre-taped on Wed/Thur.

When Rosie talked about how black people might look ashen if they are suffering from a heart attack, Whoopi looked furious.  I know Rosie didn't mean any offense, and tried to joke off any insensitivities, you could just tell Whoopi checked out at that point and was pissed.

The link upthread to Variety regarding Rosie's exit isn't surprising...we knew most of it, a few things like Rosie O being disappointed that ratings were lower while she was the moderator should have no standing imo.  

• Love 3

Who's running this show?  The bait and switched they pulled with Rosie O's announcement wasn't cure. 

I have a feeling that Whoopi is part of the reason the announcement from over the weekend won't be touched upon until later in the week.  Why would she let someone else draw attention away from herself?

I really never bought the Whoopi is the reason for everything wrong with the show, but even if she is, it falls back to the question of who is running this show.  The incessant leaks, rumoredly letting Rosie O rant and yell backstage and allowing Whoopi to go on nonsensical tirades on air is not a good look.  They really need to get this show under control.

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Love 2

But following a near fatal heart attack in 2012, O’Donnell has become even more serious about social issues. During “Hot Topics,” she’d often chime in to plug one of her favorite documentaries, and asked that the show book guests like “Vagina Monologues” writer Eve Ensler and the parents of Matthew Shepard.

These more hard-hitting segments didn’t rate with the daytime audience, which prefers light fare such as discussions about Justin Bieber, “Dancing With the Stars” and “The Bachelor” (a show that O’Donnell doesn’t watch).

This from the Variety article I'm not sure I agree with.  Since ratings have declined as the View has continued to present "light fare" maybe the daytime audience does want more serious topics discussed.  I'm not saying I want Meet the Press but as it is now the View is just rehash of junk that has already been seen elsewhere. 

• Love 14

If Rosie were the stand-up person that many feels she is, she would have addressed her situation straight out.  The fact that she either determined she wasn't going to mention her leaving or that she allowed ABC to ignore it lowers any small admiration I may have had for her.

I'm not surprised at all about her bailing out.  When the announcement was first made that she was returning, I was one of the dissenters who thought the Whoopi/Rosie blend would not go well, and I haven't been swayed otherwise.  At this point, Rosie can move on, and I won't miss her.

I don't see how we can possibly know what the show executives allowed her, or the others, to say. How can someone know she isn't a standup person with this?

This from the Variety article I'm not sure I agree with.  Since ratings have declined as the View has continued to present "light fare" maybe the daytime audience does want more serious topics discussed.  I'm not saying I want Meet the Press but as it is now the View is just rehash of junk that has already been seen elsewhere. 

I thought the same when I read that. In its heyday, The View covered quite newsworthy topics -- not necessarily tragedies, but stuff of some substance. That is what attracted people -- substance. 

• Love 16

The link upthread to Variety regarding Rosie's exit isn't surprising...we knew most of it, a few things like Rosie O being disappointed that ratings were lower while she was the moderator should have no standing imo.

The ratings were low because of the guest co-hosts, not RO as mod.

• Love 12

I have been watching this show since the first season. Missed a few of the Star Jones years but mostly have seen every panel go for a while. Today's show was just the dumbest piece of crap! No wonder this show is screwed. Do they really think that would pass? I would be embarrassed to run this crapfest. To totally ignore the news was so odd. Whoopi was on a short leash and mustered up her most pleasant self as of late. They were all walking on eggshells. RO seemed nervous, Nicole was nervous, RP couldn't shut up and then nothing. Anyone that reads internet news, twitter, already knows all the hot topics. A longtime mistake they have been making is bringing up old hot topics and just informing us they exist. No real discussion, just Whoopi's angry final word. So they go and ignore the hottest topic of the present show. So dumb and fake. I hate fake shit like this.

Spike Lee seemed absolutely out of it, too. What was up with him? Maybe an extra valium before coming on. For all he knew, cannons could have been going off today.

• Love 8

I thought the same when I read that. In its heyday, The View covered quite newsworthy topics -- not necessarily tragedies, but stuff of some substance. That is what attracted people -- substance. 

Also from the article: “The View” premiered to 3.9 million viewers in September—an eight-year record that proved stay-at home moms and dads were eager to see O’Donnell back on the show—but then the numbers quickly dropped.

If ABC actually thinks viewers are only stay at home moms and dads, they are  more out of touch than I ever thought. I do believe some watched to see Rosie's return. I also think some tuned in because of some that weren't returning! 

• Love 9

Good for Rosie, she is right imo, Plus I think she feels her documentary should be the focus this week.

I totally agree maggiemae & was thinking the same thing as the show progressed.  It's all been said, virtually everyone knows, so why beat it to death!!

• Love 5

Well, it fits the pattern.  Star jumped the gun on them when she was getting fired and took control of when she did it.  After the rumors of Elizabeth being fired leaked on a Thursday, the charade went on for quite a while before they addressed it.  I can't really remember with Sherri and Jenny for some reason, but I think Sherri leaked hers on some cable channel on a Thursday or Friday.  When Holley Robinson and Leah Remini were fired from The Talk (on a Friday), the co-hosts returned on Monday and never ever spoke of them again.  It was as if they had dropped off the planet.  I think Meredith and Lisa got to make an announcement, didn't they?  They, however, were not fired, so why can't Rosie make an announcement?

• Love 1

So according to Rosie on twitter she doesn't feel she needs to bring up her leaving since it was already announced over the weekend?  I get that to some degree...she doesn't need/have to explain the breakup w/her wife portion of it, but to just not say anything is just odd.  So will we just have Rosie until the end of the week then she is gone, new opening credits, and no more mention of Rosie like her last go round on this show?  I don't buy this at all, I think the panel was told not to bring it up at all by the higher-ups.  Hell, they led us on when they started to bring up the topic of Rosie having a big weekend only to misdirect us into the documentary.  It is what is though...oh well.

• Love 6

Perhaps I am in an extra bitchy mood today but Rosie's twitter reply really chaps my ass.  I feel differently than maggiemae and Medicine Crow in that I took it to be a big "Eff You" to the viewers who tuned into this shit show to see her.  I already knew that the show didn't give a flying fuck about the viewers and I guess now I know that Rosie doesn't much either.  "Google it" she says.  Gee, thanks. 

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 9

I still don't like it, lol. If we are supposed to just know things by reading them on the internet why have a show at all? I think a member of a four member panel leaving the show is worth a mention. Instead we got a commercial about what that person is doing once they leave without us actually knowing from watching that she's leaving. If Rosie didn't want it discussed, then maybe she should have just bowed out Thursday and let Whoopi tell the news while wagging her finger and telling us not to tweet her. :)

• Love 9

I agree with Cementhead. And not to insult any of my fellow forum folks, but, there are plenty of people who don't follow forums or tv all that much and have no clue she's leaving. Ego, much? With a dose of FU, I quit again, suckers!

• Love 4

Until seeing Rosie's tweet I was of two minds about "not directly taking on the obvious".

First, I thought that they actually did with Nicolle repeating "something has to give" with the conversation turning to Rosie at the Athena Film Festival, because that line came out of her appearance there in explanation of her impending departure.  Second, I thought that was rather dishonest of them and felt that taking on Brian Williams and discussing trust of public figures or those that "deliver the news" when The View is now under the fold of ABC News was really shitty and hypocritical.  Just present the whole truth, before you go on to take down the corporate owned media (a sentiment that I agree with but don't sit there collecting your cool five or ten million, not being fully honest and upfront and direct about what is going on).

The tweet answers my question - and while I can appreciate that Rosie didn't want to take on any discussion of her separation right now, I'm pretty disappointed about the whole thing.  Come on, stand up - eat your damn peas and move on.  And you lose some credibility when you want to point the finger at others about "honesty" when you can't deal with it yourself.

From the Variety article...

and she once singled out certain people in a meeting and accused them of leaking information about her in the press

It sounds like the whole environment was a toxic stew, I'm surprised that Woolf is such a mess here, and yes, way too many cooks in the kitchen.

This is all from a huge Rosie fan and admirer.  I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth.

• Love 4

I'm not sure if anyone else heard what Nicolle said today about sending Whoopi to an island and leaving her there. I wish I could remember the exact words that Nicolle said. Nicolle was trying to be funny, not vindictive, but wow that was clueless.

• Love 2

IDK, but it seems to me that RO made an announcement, as did ABC. Both are all over the internet.

What more can RO say than the show was not good for her health (heart) and that she wants to be home with her family now that she and her wife are separated?

IF there is to be a going-away party she will have time to say a few words. If there isn't she might say a few anyway.

• Love 4

And not to insult any of my fellow forum folks, but, there are plenty of people who don't follow forums or tv all that much and have no clue she's leaving.

Why couldn't she  have said "It was announced on Friday that I'm leaving The View and this is my last week. I'll talk about it more later this week but just wanted you to hear from me"???

Could have taken 10 seconds max.

• Love 13

I can understand how others feel about the show not addressing it outright, but it didn't bother me too much. Of course, I wanted to see what she'd say, but after the bait-and-switch with the documentary, I just assumed they would wait until Friday (her last day?).

Nicolle's hair looked so dry. The ends look like a broom. Her googoo eyes for Rosie O this morning made we want to throw up. Both her and Whoopi acting all nice, happy, and supportive--bleh, this whole thing has made it so I can't even stand them. It irritated me more because it was as if they were giving us a brief glimpse at what I *thought* this season was going to be if Whoopi hadn't decided to be a diva.

Spike Lee seemed like a real piece of work. With a dash of crazy.

• Love 5

I can't really remember with Sherri and Jenny for some reason, but I think Sherri leaked hers on some cable channel on a Thursday or Friday.

They were "let go" on a Thursday afternoon and both tweeted about their dismissal.  However the show was in repeats the following week so they didn't mention it on air until they were live again.  Which is why Rosie's tweet bothered me: she may be on Twitter, a lot of her fans are on social media but not everyone is. 

• Love 2