Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Trial By Fire

When an arson case looks to have Wesen origins, Nick find himself reluctantly having to ask an old foe for help. Elsewhere, Viktor teaches Adalind the effectiveness of well-played diplomacy. Meanwhile, Juliette finds herself in a confrontation sooner than expected.

Hell Yeah! Juliette kicked Adalind's ass.

Hell No!

Adalind is pregnant.

Hell Yeah! Juliette told Nick.

Hell No! Nick freaked out about the truth.

Hell Yeah! The Super Soaker added to the Ancient Grimm Weapon collection!

Hell No!

Adalind is pregnant.

Oh well, I still think the Super Soakers made the episode. I loved it.

Edited by mustbekarma
  • Love 13

So many great moments in this episode.
I like Wu being in the know now. He comes up with the best ideas. 'He could have had a bomb strapped to his body' OK, that sounds good.
The best part for me was the last 10 minutes. That smack down between Adalind and Juliette was the best. I liked when Juliette did the superstar motion and all those knives flew at Adalind. And the look of horror on Adalinds face was priceless, she was scared shitless.
I knew Juliette was going to have to tell Nick after that fight, the house was so trashed. I expected the look of surprise on his face. Those hexienbiests are fugly!
Next weeks show looks good.

Adalind having another baby? What?

Edited by stacey
Spoiler tag
  • Love 7

Nick is told.  Biestfight was a bust, as Juliette had surprise and raw power on her side.

It was nice seeing Orson, as I enjoy Daniel Roebuck. Glad he was able to be written as the good investigator he was.

Nick still should have cautioned Rosalee about Orson being who he is; it's her business Orson was going to visit.  I was glad Rosalee pointed out how age-old feuds lead to crap like the wesenrein. Also, glad they Monroe and Orson were able to come to a grudging agree-to-disagree point.

Aw, Renard's snake guy.  Why do you have to sell out? Because Renard's on the phone all the time or because he doesn't speak French to you? Dumb move. I kinda hope Kelly finds you first.

Well, I do hope that Juliette is cool with being hexen; it might be more help than hindrance once Juliette learns more control.

Those previews! I swear, show, if it's what I think? I may have to quit you.

PS--The supersoakers were awesome and the DH and I chuckled as Nick added his to the arsenal! *g*

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 5

Preview for next week! I'll spoiler tag it, just in case.

Well, preview for next times five, anyway.  The show comes back March 20.  Ah well, at least I have Justified once February sweeps are over.

Five weeks? Insanity!

I loved this episode, every little thing, until the adalind/ Juliette fight which was two stunt doubles in masks fighting plus cgi and that's honestly all I could see. Meh. It's still stupid that Juliette waited to tell nick. I'm going to ignore that stuff for now.

All of the actors were entertaining and this had an old school vibe, maybe because they brought back a first season character. That whole thing really works for me and I think the actor is fab. Aside from the rats episode, that was probably my favorite season one episode and it made so much sense to bring him back for an arson case. I did think Monroe's turnaround was a bit more friendly than it had to be since this ass killed my beloved hap. But oh well.

My one thing was that I was surprised there was no mention of the two other fiery Wesen we've seen. (Hilariously my phone knows to capitalize Wesen but still thinks it's not a word).

• Love 4

The super soakers were brilliant--ridiculous but believable, and thereby hysterical. I would love to have been a fly on the wall of the meeting when they decided to use them for the episode and especially when they decided to make the color of the potion day-glow green. Hee.

And, of course, Nick adding his to the weapons stash.

I also really enjoyed the little debrief among the cop buddies when they were getting their story straight.

The rest of it was just barely okay, but I'm easy to please, and DG is pretty, and I think Monroe got at least one good line in. I don't like it when Monroe goes all pompous beast mode. I wonder if he's been cheating on his Vegan diet.

• Love 5

...and I think Monroe got at least one good line in. I don't like it when Monroe goes all pompous beast mode. I wonder if he's been cheating on his Vegan diet.

Well, Monroe did snack on the Wesenrein leader two episodes ago. Maybe that's why he's cranky.

• Love 4

That stair bannister was MAHOGANY!

As someone old enough to have grandchildren who still lives in a very funky apartment and will never have a house like Juliette, I was cringing over destruction of the fight scene, and even yelled at the TV: Not the lamp! It is/was way nicer than any of my totally utilitarian objects. Too bad she's not the kind of witch like Samantha from Bewitched who can twitch her nose and put Humpty Dumpty back together again.
  • Love 10

Too bad she's not the kind of witch like Samantha from Bewitched who can twitch her nose and put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Who knows; maybe she can! *g* I don't see Adalind as a DIYer when it comes to housewares. She was a practicing lawyer; she probably kept some boutique in overpriced crap for ages.

• Love 1

Totally agree X 1,000,000!  Aaaaaargh!!!!

Why, why, why are they doing this??????

I don't think this is a spoiler but Claire Coffee is pregnant in real life.

Edited by stacey
Spoiler tag

The biggest laugh of the night was adding the supersoaker to the weapons cabinet (will it be there the next time we get an "opening the cabinet" shot?).

But the other one (and I wonder how deliberate it was in the script) was when Nick answered the phone and said, "Wu? What? When?" That gave me a bad case of giggles because it was so silly and I know if I were writing this show I wouldn't be able to resist doing that, either. I guess it hits my funny bone because I went to journalism school and had the 5 Ws and H drilled into me, so "who, what, when?" are the big questions.

• Love 8

I was heartbroken when they started trashing all the beautiful wood in that old house.  I guess in the magic of television it will all be back to normal next episode.  Which isn't for five weeks?  What the heck?

I loved this episode (except for trashing the house part).  I hope we see Orson again.  He and Monroe were great.

• Love 6

Ha, Adalind got owned!  That went as well as it could have.  True, Juliette may have trashed the house a bit with her powers, but it was totally worth it!  Even better, she finally told Nick.  That should be fun.

Surprised over them bringing Orson back.  Glad they had the flashback to remind me who he was (and just to see S1 Nick again; David Giuntoli really looked younger back then.  Not saying he's aged too much, but I could tell the difference.)  The case itself was by the books, but I liked that it brought back his issues with Monroe, and them name dropping past characters like Hap and Anjelica (RIP, but seriously, Monroe really did find a much better woman in Rosalee.)  I don't blame Monroe for being upset, but I'm glad he did come around at the end.  Although, the handshake might have been a bit much.  Could have just ended with a nod or something, and I might have bought it more.

The supersoakers were the best.  Capped off perfectly with Nick adding it to the weapon collection.  Maybe he should at least paint it so it will fit in better.

Still loving how they use Wu; loved the end, when he helped Nick and Hank with a good cover story about how the guy just blew up like that.  Bomb works!

I missed the five weeks thing.  That's going to be a long wait.

• Love 4

...when Nick answered the phone and said, "Wu? What? When?" That gave me a bad case of giggles because it was so silly and I know if I were writing this show I wouldn't be able to resist doing that, either....

Somehow I missed that (was multi-tasking for just a moment, I swear!) so thank you. I can totally imagine him saying it, and it makes me giggle too.

Now I'm thinking of a knock-knock joke next time Drew Wu comes to Nick's or Monroe's house and Juliette or Rosalee is on the other side of the door saying, "Wu? Wu who?"

Maybe Wu replies, "I wasn't sure you'd be so glad to see me."

Ya know, like: Woo hoo!

• Love 2

Although I was disappointed that we had to wait till the final 5 mins for the much-hyped "beistfight", I really enjoyed the episode. Lots of great moments, like others have mentioned...and the look on Adalind's face was worth the price of admission! And after all the great moments, we get the preview - which was like a kick in the gut. If the show goes there, I just might smash my tv screen.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the episode. I was expecting the Wesen of the week to get away at the end by transforming into a fire bird and flying off at the end, but I guess blowing up works too. It was interesting to see Orson back, since he has been gone for so long. We got the weird flashback to S1 Nick with the longer hair, and I greatly prefer the current short hair Nick.

The Juliette and Adalind fight was fun if predicable. Now I'm just waiting for HexenJuliette to lose her first fight. I get the feeling Adalind will be wearing black for the rest of the season. So glad Nick finally knows about his girlfriend being a Hexenbiest. I don't think it was possible for the writers to drag that out for much longer, and I was terrified of it becoming as long as the amnesia arc from S2.

Oh Lord.....

In a post on another thread, I mentioned the Cinderella episode from season 1 and how it was truly crappy.  Well, this one gave that episode a run for its money (and 

the preview looks like the next episode will be infinitely worse. I think I saw a shark.....

)

Here are my positives for this episode:

• I think the people of Portland can rest a little easier knowing that the Grimm has a Wu.
  • I did not expect Lizard Guy to be a double agent.  I'm rarely surprised by this show lately, so I appreciated that.

And, uh, that's it.

Other random thoughts:

• I did not enjoy the Wesen of the Week story line at all.  For one, it just seemed like they wanted some filler to take up about 45 minutes before the #BIESTFIGHT and decided to bring back Vulcanalis.  Under normal circumstances, I would have been, well, offended at the super soakers, but they really fit right in here.  That, folks, is not a good thing.  They were also the most memorable thing about this story line.  That, folks, is an even worse thing.
  • However, my husband was convinced that FlameBoy was played by Denis Leary.
  • I don't know what prison Orson was in, but it most certainly was not Oregon State Penitentiary.
  • I'm torn about Orson going back to prison.  On one hand, I felt sorry for him.  On the other, if they had somehow gotten him out, he would have become yet another member of the Scooby gang.  We don't need anymore of those, we have Wu.
  • Okay, the little scuff up at Nick and Juliet's house.  I know everyone was waiting for it, but it was predictable and cartoonish.  I felt like I was watching a video game.  And, here's a question...how is that house even still standing?
  • I think that only Wu should be allowed to read aloud from the super special books.  Anyone else--Nick, Monroe, Hank--sounds like a 2nd grader as they read--trying to sound out the words as they run their fingers along the text.  Wu is the only person who sounds like he's finished elementary school.  
  • Speaking of the books, the 64 (or whatever) AD text is the one that finally made me call BS.  There is no way that a text that old would survive in that condition.  I'm geeking out here--I'm a book AND history lover--I can suspend my disbelief for a great many things for this show, but that apparently was a step too far.
  • Juliet's reveal to Nick was, well, anti-climactic and expected.  I'm glad it's finally done, but I'm not satisfied with it.  I think I would have actually liked it more if Adalind ran out of the house after getting her tushy kicked, gone to Nick with a great big, "GUESS WHAT!"

Here's the thing, I really love Grimm, but I'm starting to be really worried about its current path.  I feel like the writers are going on a trip without a destination or a road map and it is just getting more and more dire.  

Next week's preview only convinces me more of this. Please, please, please, PLEASE no more babies!

Right now, I'm just hoping my blossoming Wu love is enough to keep me tuned in.

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 1

Juliette's house gets trashed so often she must hire new people each time to do the repairs in order to avoid awkward questions! Loved, loved her kicking Adalind's ass. Five weeks! :: hexenbiest face::

Maybe she and Nick just contact Bud and his fellow Eisbibers. They know what is going on and they are quite good at fixing and building things. Not to mention that they are rather friendly to Nick.

• Love 8

Folks, the next new episode is in five weeks, 

WHAT??? WHY??? Didn't we just have a months long gap? What possible reason could they have for making us wait 5 weeks?

As for tonight's episode, I liked it. I don't mind a monster-of-the-week episode, especially when the alternative is the friggin' royals. I love how Wu is just getting more & more comfortable with the whole thing, enough to suggest the guy had a bomb strapped to him.

As for the preview, 

We better not be in for another Adalind is pregnant for what feels like 27 years story again. The way whatshername said Adalind was going to have another baby, I think she might not be pregnant (on the show), but there's going to be some (hopefully) quick mystical thing & then the baby & the royals can leave forever.

The fight between Juliette & Adalind was great & I am so glad she finally told Nick. Nick had better not be a dick about it though, because they'll drag that drama out for forever.

• Love 1

I thought this episode was a bit stupid, but I was distracted because I was writing positive stuff about Constatine and hoping it gets renewed. The trailer from last week made it seem like the episode would revolve around the royals and Juliette vs Adalind.  I did like Juliette vs Adalind but it was the very last part of the show.  The monster of the week wasn't interesting and stranger stuff goes down in Portland without supernatural creatures and insurance claims.

I know the sweeps are going on

but why doesn't Hollywood remember what freaking condoms are? What does Adalind's character even have to do now? She seduces members of Rennard's family and gets knocked up. The episode preview makes it look like Nick is holding the idiot ball and angsting about his new hexenbeist gf.

Can he just marry her already? They've been dating forever and she accepts him being a grimm. Why can't he accept her for being a hexenbeist?

Well, I enjoyed the #Biestfight and the Biest-reveal with Nick's taken aback reaction but I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised about having to wait through almost the whole snooz-a-licious episode to get to it.  I just didn't care about Firestarter's boring story.  (Though boy did Nick look noticeably younger in the flashback.)  I guess it was nice to see Nick and company adding to the Grimm knowledge stored in the trailer with the super soakers dispensing the anti-Firestarter formula, and it's nice to see how Wu fits right into the Scooby gang, but other than that I just wanted the police case done with.  Boring!

With all the talk of the lame FX/stunt double BIESTFIGHT where we already knew they'd make sure Juliette won, there was a real bad-ass moment with Rosalee telling off Monroe. I couldn't believe he was still being an ass after finding out about the two dead kids. Rosalee said everything I was thinking. Then scientifically knowing all of the ingredients needed and sending the men off to get them...then Monroe coming back properly chastised...that woman is the definition of bad-ass.

Oh I enjoyed that as well although I was torn because it was not just generic feud stuff-this guy murdered hap in cold blood. I haven't forgotten and I'm glad Monroe hasn't.
  • Love 1

This was a great episode right up until the end.  That fight was just laughable from the horrible line readings, capped off with the laugh out loud "Bitch" line, to the bad CGI and horribly disguised stunt doubles. The only good piece of acting was Adalind's fear at the end.  And of course Juliette has mastered her hexenskills in what?  a week at most.  At least Juliette finally told/showed Nick, although in another piece of weird directing I have no idea why Juliette had to walk across the room to do that.  I can understand standing up, maybe, but the let's walk around while we draw this out more thing was just odd. 

I don't mind Orson going back to jail, he did kill someone after all.  Wesen or not, murder is murder and he was caught.  I did love his "Does the whole precinct know?" when everyone in Renard's office was asking about Wesen stuff and the quick "no!" responses.

As for the preview,

I wonder if Adalind is pregnant with Nick and Juliette's baby.  God, I hope not.  They don't need to write actresses real life pregancies into stories.  They really don't.  Adalind is barely on the screen anyway.   I also don't think Nick is that upset about hexen Juliette - more about her not telling him sooner.  And the confrontation with that super witch woman (blanking on name), Juliette obviously told him she's the one said it can't be reversed and why bring it up unless she wants it to be reversed?

This was a great episode right up until the end.  That fight was just laughable from the horrible line readings, capped off with the laugh out loud "Bitch" line, to the bad CGI and horribly disguised stunt doubles. 

The fight was bad but this episode reached a CGI low with the car explosion. I thought last week's "blood" test was bad but this week was just laughable.

• Love 3

Biestfight was a cheese fest, what a joke.  I never like people burned to death, didn't like it in the first season, don't like it now, hope to never see it again.  We'll have to have some tolerance for repetitive types of crimes and violence in a series like this but for me, no more of that, please.

Loved Rosalee (Monroe a tad over the top) taking charge, Wu is adjusting very well, and it will be interesting to see if Renard is going to be truly out-foxed by snake man.  Enjoyed seeing Dr. Arzt again.  Was it a 'Lost' shout out that the fire beast blew up into pieces? 

To the point about the Grimm text from 64 A.D. or so, the way I took it was that Nick mentioned that it had been translated many times, so that what he was reading from wasn't the ancient page itself but rather a generations- later recounting of what happened back then.  Otherwise, it's not at all believable. 

• Love 3

Fun episode!  I liked seeing Orson again, the uneasy truce (with both Nick and Monroe), and the fact that he actually was a good investigator and wanted to solve the case.  I felt kinda bad for him when he went back to jail, even though he belongs there.

Boy, Adalind just sucks at everything, huh? She's a pawn who wants to be a queen.

And sigh, another pregnancy. Is it at all possible it was just an overly-clever way of suggesting Juliette is her "child" because the consequences of her spell led to the creation of a new hexenbiest? I know, I'm flailing wildly.

Nick freaked out at the reveal, and rightly, because he had no idea at all it was coming. 

I suspect, previews be damned, that he will adjust quite quickly to it -- the previews always make a big deal of the relationship drama between the two, and the episodes themselves have them react far more sensibly and lovingly.  The confrontation with the woman, however, was interesting -- so Nick's blood is a solution, and the woman did not tell Juliette for her own reasons?

Wu's suggestion of a bomb strapped to the guy's chest was great.  I like him involved!  Although I laughed when Orson asked if the whole department knew about Wesen.  And I find it interesting that Renard has no problem telling people he knows about Wesen, but he doesn't reveal that he is one himself, or what he is.

I'm not sure who I want to get the betraying snake guy -- Renard or Nick's mom.

• Love 1

About the Preview

When Bree Turner got pregnant in S2, Rosalee didn't get pregnant, the writers just put her on a bus and sent her to live with her aunt for the first half of the season. Not sure why the writers would have Adalind getting pregnant again just because Claire Coffee is pregnant instead of hiding it like what they did with Rosalee.

Shoehorning that into the season would be horrible, not to mention possibly screw up the the writers' previous plans for the ENTIRE season. To me, Adalind getting pregnant AGAIN but this time with Nick's baby is coming dangerously close to jumping the shark for me. I hated how the baby drama took over season 3, and is still around over this season too. Hopefully this will turn out to be another fakeout.

• Love 5

I know the ancient text seemed unbelievable.  I see all those rare books and think they should be handled with more care.

I did like that the fire happened on Nero's watch.  Was he not responsible for the fire?

I just love the houses they show.  I love the craftsman style and would take that any day over the Mcmansions we see.  How bland they are.

• Love 4

Wu: So he exploded?

Nick: Spontaneously combusted.

Wu: Is it possible the victim had some sort of homemade bomb strapped to him?

Hank: Yeah, sure. Anything's possible.

Wu: It'll look better on the report.

Nick: Yeah, we like bomb.

This exchange was just perfect IMO. All the fears I had about Wu knowing have dissolved, because they did figure out how to keep his snark intact, while contributing to the team.

• Love 14

This exchange was just perfect IMO. All the fears I had about Wu knowing have dissolved, because they did figure out how to keep his snark intact, while contributing to the team.

Wu does seem to blend in well with the gang.  My biggest objection to him finding out was that the show benefited from having at least one cast member who could offer us the point of view/reactions from an outsider who didn't understand what was going on, and I still feel that way, but Wu finding out is not a deal breaker for me, though,

based on the previews, what we find out next episode just might be.

Edited by Fable

That was actually good episode. It's kind of bad that I was surpised. Anyhow:

I really liked the Adalend and Juliette fight. That was intense! I really was hoping Juliette would killed her, oh well maybe next time. I also like that she finally told Nick! I wonder if at the end she was surprised by Nick's eyes, because they would have gone Black.

I also liked the tie back to season 1 with the guy that killed Hap. I like that Monroe is starting to get over some prejudge he has. Though it's understandable to hate the guy that killed your friend.

The fact that is episode had less Wu was a good thing for me. I liked that he wasn't really more involved in the case then he would have been in the past. I also liked the end when he was helping come up with more "realistic" ways the guy could have exploded. Also kind of random but I loved Monroe's "he's going to blow!" lol.

Anyhow great episode, I'm actually looking forward to next week's episode though

Not thrilled about Adalind being Pregnant again

Enjoyed seeing Dr. Arzt again.  Was it a 'Lost' shout out that the fire beast blew up into pieces?

I didn't think of that, maybe lol.

Edited by blueray

Everything up until the last five minutes was a complete waste of time. And that's unfortunately, because the MotW storyline would have been an excellent one back in Season 1 when it was just a MotW show.  But now they've got way too many balls in the air and the stuff that's really important is all sitting on the sidelines while the episodes play out like mostly filler with a teaspoon full of story arc here and there.

What they really, really need to do is spend the next few episodes without a generic crime of the week and focus on Nick trying to fix Juliette, Sean figuring out his agent is double crossing him, and getting rid of Viktor and Adalind once and for all.

• Love 4

And sigh, another pregnancy. Is it at all possible it was just an overly-clever way of suggesting Juliette is her "child" because the consequences of her spell led to the creation of a new hexenbiest? I know, I'm flailing wildly.

I'm going to post a reply to this in the Spoiler thread....

What they really, really need to do is spend the next few episodes without a generic crime of the week and focus on Nick trying to fix Juliette, Sean figuring out his agent is double crossing him, and getting rid of Viktor and Adalind once and for all.

I agree with this 100%.  The way this show started--and I think the way that this show will work--is a balance between a Wesen of the Week and Nick adjusting to life and relationships as a Grimm, with possibly ONE long-term, multi-episode story arc happening at the same time. Lately, this show has just become a soap opera and they need to clean that up in order to get back to what works.

• Love 1