Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Trial By Fire

Power doesn't necessarily mean raw strength.  The supervillain, Bullseye, from Daredevil has the power to throw ordinary objects with such strength and precision that they become lethal weapons in his hands.  Also, again, Henrietta specifically told Juliette to practice her Woge, which Juliette did.  We can assume that doing so allowed Juliette to gain control over at least her telekinesis and its associate benefits (acrobatics, punch/wrestling effects and the like).

We don't really have a basis for comparison for the Hexenbiest learning curve. Baby Diana was doing all kinds of crazy magic and telekinesis at birth, so it doesn't seem like it requires a lot of practice and training. We haven't seen a Hexenbiest academy where they spend years learning to use their powers, and we haven't seen anyone doing practice or training.

If we'd seen long training montages for Adalind and then Juliette just instantly knew how to do everything instinctively, I'd have more of a problem. But since they showed a newborn doing more advanced telekinesis than Juliette did, I'm less bothered, especially since they specifically mentioned that a "made" Hexenbiest was more powerful.

• Love 1

I get the point about the control.  However, it seemed like Juliette had trouble bringing up a woge on command (sort of....no problem doing it for Renard, but she pulled a Bud when it came to Henrietta).  When she's emotional, however, it all comes out--and nothing upsets her like Adalind, so I can see her pulling out all the stops in the "biestfight."

I do get your point about her magically appearing powers of control.  For me, however, there are bigger logical issues to deal with in this story of magical creatures.

One thing I liked about the fight was the way that Juliette was just a smarter, more tactical thinker than Adalind.  I especially like Juliette distracting Adalind with the jars, then the one-two-three physical strikes followed up by the attempt knife-skewer.

• Love 1

Remember he is only half Wesen....

As far as we know. Which isn't very far. We are assuming that the Royal family to which both Sean and Viktor belong are human, but we've never been explicitly told that nor has it ever been confirmed one way or another. I would certainly expect, by this time, if Viktor (or Eric before him) were Wesen, we'd have seen him Wogue by now. Then again, we're talking about a show where we didn't find out how, exactly, Wesen recognized Nick as a Grimm until Season 3. 

It would actually make a lot more sense if these ill-defined yet often mentioned Royal Families were Wesen, since from what I can gather, their primary goal is to control the Wesen population. If they were just humans I don't know how they found out about the Wesen population or what their motivation is to utilize them in some vague way.

Of course, that would still mean Sean is half Zauberbiest and half something else Wesen. And that's another thing they haven't explained - what happens when two Wesen of different species/varieties mate? If Rosalee and Monroe have a child, what would it be? Would it be either Blutbad or Fuchsbau? Or could it be some weird hybrid of the two? We've yet to see any Wesen hybrids on this show.

Edited by iMonrey

We've yet to see any Wesen hybrids on this show.

That's not completely true.  In the Season Two episode, "The Other Side" a Genio innocuo mother used genetic engineering to infuse her offspring with the DNA of a Lowen.
  • Love 2

As far as we know. Which isn't very far. We are assuming that the Royal family to which both Sean and Viktor belong are human, but we've never been explicitly told that nor has it ever been confirmed one way or another. I would certainly expect, by this time, if Viktor (or Eric before him) were Wesen, we'd have seen him Wogue by now. Then again, we're talking about a show where we didn't find out how, exactly, Wesen recognized Nick as a Grimm until Season 3. 

It would actually make a lot more sense if these ill-defined yet often mentioned Royal Families were Wesen, since from what I can gather, their primary goal is to control the Wesen population. If they were just humans I don't know how they found out about the Wesen population or what their motivation is to utilize them in some vague way.

Of course, that would still mean Sean is half Zauberbiest and half something else Wesen. And that's another thing they haven't explained - what happens when two Wesen of different species/varieties mate? If Rosalee and Monroe have a child, what would it be? Would it be either Blutbad or Fuchsbau? Or could it be some weird hybrid of the two? We've yet to see any Wesen hybrids on this show.

I'm going to reply to this in the Wesen thread....

After years of being bored by watching damsels in distress waiting for rescue I'm plain sick of it.  How refreshing that at least one originally pretty whimpy damsel has found her mojo.  If I were Juliette, I wouldn't give that up for anything.

Except what usually happens at this point is the character finds out that because of the new powers, he/she is facing death (i.e. powers are wreaking havoc on his/her body) or putting others in danger due to lack of control. Wil be interesting to see if they go the way of that trope.

Juliette with powers is the only Juliette that has ever interested me. Her inability to communicate in a timely manner drives me nuts.

Wu rules, as we all knew he would. He's the Velma.

• Love 1
After years of being bored by watching damsels in distress waiting for rescue I'm plain sick of it.  How refreshing that at least one originally pretty whimpy damsel has found her mojo.
When was Juliette ever a "wimpy damsel"?  Being a crack shot on the first try?  When she threw boiling water at the ogre?  when she was punching out the deamonfuere (sp?)?  
  • Love 3

When was Juliette ever a "wimpy damsel"?  Being a crack shot on the first try?  When she threw boiling water at the ogre?  when she was punching out the deamonfuere (sp?)?  

I have no proof of it, but I get the feeling that early on Bitsie Tulloch sat down with the showrunners and said something like, "Look, fine, it's a TV horror series, but even so, don't make my character into one of those stereotypical hyper-jealous damsel-in-distress ditzy TV girlfriends.  I want Juliette to have common sense and be competent in living her life."

I wonder how much being a veterinarian plays into her character.  Juliette has clearly reached a comfort level with the idea of killing people.  Figure part of her job is killing cute dogs and cats, so wasting a couple Blutbads, a manticore and taking a really good crack at Adalind is cool with her.

• Love 1

I have no proof of it, but I get the feeling that early on Bitsie Tulloch sat down with the showrunners and said something like, "Look, fine, it's a TV horror series, but even so, don't make my character into one of those stereotypical hyper-jealous damsel-in-distress ditzy TV girlfriends.  I want Juliette to have common sense and be competent in living her life."

Replying in the Juliette thread....

Aw, Renard's snake guy.  Why do you have to sell out?

When he announced that he'd find Kelly Burkhardt and Viktor said he'd look forward to hearing from him, my immediate thought was "Dude, if he finds Kelly Burkhardt NOBODY is going to be hearing from him ever again!"

• Love 3