Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: I'm Not That Good At Goodbye

Now that Rayna has cancelled their wedding, Luke is not going quietly, and Rayna's own daughters don't take the news well either. Juliette and Avery adjust to married life with a few bumps along the way, and Gunnar fights for custody of Micah. Sadie tries to take control of her own problems with her ex by buying a gun, and Deacon gets dire news about his medical condition.

Promos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHzs3Ncp8cY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdaUgb41L3o

I loved that Layla is alive! YAY!

Something may be wrong with me, but I kinda hope she and Jeff find their way back to each other. 

I feel like there is enough drama without Sadie's ex storyline.

I can't with Rayna, but I felt for Maddie tonight.

Deacon having liver cancer is soapy, but at least it isn't a case of suddenly an alcoholic. I also understood why he didn't  want Rayna taking care of him.

Rayna needs to be without a man for a long time. 

I have mixed feelings about Luke, but I felt for all the kids involved. 

Poor Gunnar is never happy! But I loved his tackling Avery when he found out those two kids got married.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 9

I loved all the story lines except Sadie & her ex. The story lines are already bloated without Sadie taking one. But I'm guessing they need another one since Gunnar won't have much to do without Micah there.

I LOVED the scenes with Juliette/Avery. The last scene in the nursery was great!!

Edited by jb0495
  • Love 3

Juliette and Avery continue to save this show.

Jeff was actually awesome this episode.

The kid who plays Luke's son is going to be a looker one day.

Andddddd I'm such a bro country fan, I'm the worst, but I really want to download the new Luke Wheeler song at the end. Damn, it's catchy. And I also just went through a breakup.

• Love 2

I'm so glad that we're rid of Micah. Like really glad. Does that make me a bad person? Because I legit cheered when that car pulled away to take him back to Texas. What a horrible storyline. 

But I loved his tackling Avery when he found out those two kids got married.

Best moment of the show.

I think we need more of that. Between woman beaters and liver cancer and attempted suicides, I would love to watch an hour of cute and giggly Juliette and Avery who argue over furniture and their happy friend Gunnar. That could be a thing, right?

• Love 18

The chair in the nursery completely redeemed this otherwise terrible episode for me.

I wasn't aware that whipping out a black eye gets you around silly things like gun laws and the need for ID.  I love LB but Sadie is so freakin dull I had actually forgotten that her ex came to her house and punched her in the face.

• Love 3

Man, it feels like ages since the last new episode of Nashville.  I do like that it's now back while Empire is on, so now my Wednesday nights consist of musicl soaps from both, the country world and the rap world. Diversity in my music soaps!

So, the wedding has been called off!  Luke handled it about as badly as I figured he would.  That cake never stood a chance!  At the same time, not exactly crying for Rayna.  There was a lot of stuff she could have handled better, but didn't.  I just hope she moves past this, and become interesting again.  Maybe put anything involving her love life on hold.  That would be refreshing.

Layla didn't die!  That's actually a nice change of pace.  I kind of hope the divorce goes through with no hitches, and things work out.  But, I have a feeling that the scene of Jeff going it to watch her, means something else is going to happen.  And, I'm sure Will will find some way to almost get himself exposed, unless he finally comes out of the closet.

Ted really is either just around to chat on phones or get grief from Maddie.  At least Eric Close is getting some easy paychecks.

Avery and Juliette are realizing that marriage isn't all that easy.  But, once again, Hayden Panettiere and Jonathan Jackson shined in all of their scenes.  They are the best.

Bored with all of Sadie's stuff.

So, in the end, Micah finds out the truth and just wants to go with his grandparents.  So, all that was a waste.  At least Gunnar had that awesome bro scene with Avery. I really hope we see more of that Gunnar again.

Oh, Deacon.  Of course, you are going to need a transplant, and you just need to find a donor.  I'm sure it will end up being someone we know.  Or maybe Scarlett calling her mom means it will be her.  Until then, you are just going to keep it from Rayna, when I'm sure will cause problems.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2

When this episode started I became aware that I missed the last episode.  I have no idea how that happened and my TiVo didn't even pick it up!  Thank God I found it on demand and I was able to watch it before watching this one.

I am so glad Micah is gone.  I hated that storyline but it did help us get rid of Zoey.  I hated the grandparents.

I'm with you all...Sadie is boring..ugh. 

I'm glad Layla is ok and I hope they can work it out.  Jeff is actually not that bad lately.

I LOVED Luke's song at the end.

I'm loving Juliette and Avery!!  Welcome back Nashville.  I missed you.

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 2

So Rayna called off the wedding and Luke throws an actual pity party? He's just classy through and through!

I could certainly stand to watch a few episodes of Juliet and Avery being goofy newlyweds and getting glomp-tackled by giggly, overjoyed Gunnar. That should be a thing.

• Love 8

I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but everything Luke said to Rayna was accurate.  She did use him, and she used Teddy before him.  (Actually, I would throw Deacon into the "used" camp as well.)   Luke and Teddy are not without blame.  Each knew of Rayna's attachment to Deacon, but each allowed himself to be taken in by her promises that she and Deacon were through.   Rayna is not evil, but she can be incredibly self-centered.  Maddy's complaint to Deacon was also accurate.  Rayna does what SHE wants with seemingly little regard for others, including her children.   And writers, if you intended for the final scene with Rayna alone in her bed to touch my heart, you missed your mark.  I think she could use at least a year alone in bed and some intensive therapy before she enters into a relationship with anyone else, including Deacon.  

On a happier note, Juliette and Avery were adorable beyond words.  

Jeff and Layla are actually tolerable when they are together.  

Gunnar and Scarlett are endgame.

Can someone find Teddy a nice girl and a storyline of his own?  Can someone find Emily a nice guy and a storyline of her own?  Can someone find Will a nice guy?

• Love 5

As usual there wasn't enough Juliette/Avery to satisfy me so I found this episode lacking.

Goodbye, Micah. Don't call, don't write. Please don't ever come back.

And yes, the Gunnar/Avery tacklehug was just about the best thing that happened this episode.

Edited by Village
  • Love 7

I missed this show. Rayna took responsibility, Luke is finally the heel everyone wanted him to be, and Gunnar's fake moppet went home with nasty grandparents. And Avery's chair for the win!

Tons of stuff packed in the show tonight. Think my favorite part was watching Luke self-destruct. I enjoyed the character finally now that he's not all gushy over Rayna. And that ending song was awesome. Going to be fun watching them figure out the tour.

Will Jeff get a heart and realize he's partly responsible for what happened to Layla? Watching him get rid of evil producer Gina was gold.

Loved the 4 kids ending up at Teddy's. In the end, he's the best parent on this show.

Let's start a pool over who the liver donor will be. I think Luke. Just kidding.

Avery and Gunner. Gold. "So, you lost your son? Wow. That trumps my chair being moved around the mansion."

And Juliette, give the man a few more shelves. And room for hair products in the bathroom.

• Love 6

Oh, Deacon.  Of course, you are going to need a transplant, and you just need to find a donor.  I'm sure it will end up being someone we know.  Or maybe Scarlett calling her mom means it will be her.  Until then, you are just going to keep it from Rayna, when I'm sure will cause problems.

I don't see how. Not that I expect medical accuracy from this show but if Deacon is blood type O and Scarlett is AB, her mom has to be either A, B or AB. In short: already not a match for Deacon.

• Love 4

If only Deacon had another blood relative on the show who could possibly donate a liver.  If only . . .  

As soon as I found out that Scarlett wasn't a match, I figured it had to be Maddie. It would be the most dramatic possible storyline, too, because of course Rayna wouldn't even want to tell Maddie that Deacon's sick at first, but she'd find out somehow and blow up at both of them for keeping secrets, and then she'd find out she's a match and agree to do it and both Rayna and Deacon would angst about putting their kid under the knife... drama ahoy.

• Love 8

I loved Deacon punching Luke and saying "Wheels up".

I still have no idea why Sadie exists nor do I care.

And the point of Micah was? To get rid of Zoey? Could have found an easier way.

Normally like Tandy but she was unnecessarily abrasive with Deacon.

• Love 5

Luke dodged that bullet, not Rayna. Rayna also lied to everyone about how it was mutual. She lied to the kids, she lied to the press. It wasn't mutual. 

Those 4 kids are hurt and confused because Rayna carried on this relationship when she didn't want it. Luke was right, she did get a lot out of it. She was getting Rolling Stone covers and she didn't care about being around the family and putting them first during that time. She also had lots of time before the wedding to end this, even when Luke was angry over the lies and  wanted to end it she went to him and made declarations of love.

Why would Scarlette think her mother would be a good person to bring into this scenario with Deacon?

Luke's song was great. Hope it's a hit. 

• Love 6

Why would Scarlette think her mother would be a good person to bring into this scenario with Deacon?

Scarlett called her mother to tell her about Deacon and see if she can de-liver a matching organ. Of course it'll be Maddie who saves the day.

Luke's song was the first one I have been able to tolerate from him.

That video tape of Will's confession to Layla will still be leaked somehow. I believe. Hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 4

I don't know what a 7 carat wedding ring goes for, but that could help pay down the bills Luke rightly passed along to Rayna.

I fume when characters don't say what needs to be said in the moment (you can see the words forming and they just.don't.come.out) and the misunderstandings drag on when a simple sentence might avert it all. Case in point, Will had two good opportunities to just say that the woman pressured him sexually, to prove he's not gay. (That was easy!) Or Deacon wanting to counter Rayna's plea to give her a little time with, I don't have a lot of time. (Don't you want to open that can of worms!) But I get it, that's not how shows like this roll.

I also suspend belief when characters do a complete turn on a dime; it gets so soapy. :)

A tweet from Deacon could snag him a liver donor pronto, though I imagine he's not on Twitter nor up for the public getting wind of this.

Loved that Juliette put Avery's chair, draped with a blankie and sweet note, in the nursery.

Edited by KR Vermont
  • Love 3

Scarlett's dad could have been AB, right?  And her mom O?   That said I totally think it is going to be Maddie.  

Funnier, though, if Teddy's a match.  Just saying.

No.  For Scarlett to be Type AB, she had to get the "A" from one parent and the "B" from another.  (You get one letter from each parent.  So someone who is type "O" is actually an "OO.") Who knew that my junior high honors biology class would pay off after all these years ;)

• Love 7

I like Tandy now that she's not in the role of daddy's business partner. She's the Jackie to Rayna's Roseanne.

I'm glad the boring Micha story is over, but I have to say, I thought the kid sang really well.

• Love 1

IT. WAS. A. LONG. ASS. HIATUS.

Um, Did Luke even talk to his kids or, I don't know, wonder where they were AT ALL that day? I mean, folks rag on Rayna, but she told the girls immediately. Luke went straight into PR/asshole mode.

Layla still existing...ugh. I can't stand her. I won't apologize for it. And I'm not giving Jeff a half a damn bit of credit. He had that show cancelled to save himself just as much as he did it for Will and Layla. Please with all that.

WTF moment of the episode for me was Rayna telling Deacon that she needed a moment. I was like....uh, for what? Can you be without a man for a moment? Like 2 episodes? I think that'd be a record.

Luke is an ass for taking credit for Rayna's success AGAIN. But I did actually enjoy his song at the end.

Micah, child, may you have a safe trip back to Bumfuck, Texas. BTW, your grandmother is a bitch and your mother is shit. One day you'll realize what you left. But hopefully not on my time. Have a good life.

Maddie was right when she talked to Teddy. These poor kids. Exhibit A as to why Rayna needs to take a chill pill. I had to laugh when she told the press that it was a mutual decision. 

I like Sadie, but this storyline, no.

As usual, my loves, Mr. and Mrs. Barkley saved it for me. Such a sweet gesture at the end and we finally got to see the baby's nursery (did make me wonder if Avery had any input on it before then).

*braces myself for the return of Crazy Beverly*

• Love 5

I didn't really see anything wrong with Rayna saying the decision to break up was mutual.  It should be a private matter and she knew Luke wouldn't allow that to happen.  He'd tell the story in the way that would earn him the most publicity and money without any regard to how it affects the kids.  Saying it's mutual simply helps remove some of that limelight that is on both families.  There's also the fact that this is just proper behavior.  There is nothing worse than parents who are splitting who tell their kids too much and putting them in a position to judge one person over the other.  They are kids, the specifics aren't their concern.  It's also not anyone else's business.  You tell your bff all the dirty little secrets, you don't tell your random neighbor down the street.  So yeah, Rayna did the right thing here.

The Sadie storyline is just not going well at all.  I like the idea of the show exploring domestic violence, but this plot is so disconnected from everything else that it's like the show is using a sensitive topic as some sort of shock bait.  It's feeling very exploitative.  They best connect this with the rest of the show somehow or else I'm going to get angry face.  

• Love 16

Lawdy, lawdy.

Layla lives! Yay? Sure, yay. I like the actress who plays her and she was just getting interesting.

Two adult men fighting on the lawn is so white trash. I just can't even with that, though Luke deserved what he got. He's such a possessive, sexist, soulless jackass.

Juliette and Avery are darling. They do manage to keep this show from completely falling off a cliff.

I know I'm supposed to feel bad that Rayna is so tortured and Deacon is supposedly dying, but I just don't care about them very much anymore. At this point, I mostly find them exhausting.

As for Sadie and the gun, it's the South. I believe it , especially if she went to a shady pawn shop instead of a real dealer. Also, she had one hell of a shiner. I think it was growing. I liked her song, though.

• Love 4

Did they say the bill Luke sent Rayna was for $50K?  That seems very low for a wedding between two country music superstars.

I believe they said the bill was at least 50 pages.  Then at a later point someone said the shrimp alone was $50,000.  But if People magazine was supposed to be paying for it all, why did Luke have it anyway?

I too am happy that the show is back.  Juliette and Avery are becoming more mature than just about everyone else. 

Also, I know nothing about liver cancer, but I have known people who have had other cancers. One friend had stage 4 uterine cancer, and the doctors weren't as negative and downer as this doctor was. Is that for real? Transplant or nothing, and sorry, Charlie, you're screwed? It seems like the doctor would at least try to sugar coat it a little bit, even if the prognosis is bleak.

Man, it feels like ages since the last new episode of Nashville. I do like that it's now back while Empire is on, so now my Wednesday nights consist of musicl soaps from both, the country world and the rap world. Diversity in my music soaps!

You and me both, I have been seriously missing this show and I am oh so happy that they are back!

• Love 3

I spent the first half hour of the show thinking "oh yeah, that happened", the break was waay too long. I'm hoping that this means Micah, Layla, & Luke are all gone, & Tandy is back. It was nice to see Juliette actually happy, I hope they don't screw around with her & Avery & just let them be.

• Love 1

If I ever had any doubts that Luke was a jackass, watching him drive into the wedding cake sealed the deal. I'm just glad that he didn't hit any of the caterers while he was driving like a maniac. And then to just barge into Deacon's house demanding where Rayna was? Jackass. He is the worst kind of jackass, taking credit for all of Rayna's success. As much as it sucks to get dumped on your wedding day, seeing his true colors like this makes it really obvious that Rayna dodged a bullet by calling off the wedding.

You know, if the show had let Micah sing with Gunnar sooner, I might have liked him more months ago. But now that we are finally rid of him, please don't come back, Micah!

Thank goodness Sadie decided to get a restraining order. I was wondering the entire episode whether she already had one or not. I was afraid that she would be too afraid or ashamed to go to the police to report what he did so I'm really glad that she took pictures and filled out the paperwork.

Sadly, restraining orders don't do much good until someone actually violates said restraining order. There have been cases where women called the police to say that their exes were standing right across the street from their house and the police told them that they couldn't do anything until the exes crossed the line and violated the restraining order by getting within X number of feet, and by the time the exes did that it was to break into the house to hurt or kill them.

As soon as Sadie bought a gun, I was worried that she was going to go the super paranoid Dylan McKay route and almost shoot Brandon Walsh. I was also worried that when she left the house with the paperwork for the restraining order, her ex would be waiting for her.

Jeff actually did the right thing for once? I guess all you have to do is almost die to get that reaction. I wish Will had told Layla that he wasn't attracted to that chick at the party so that she wouldn't think that it was just her that was the problem. I also wish Will had told her something along the lines of, "I really do love you, but I'm sorry it's not the way you want me to love you." It's obvious that he cares about her even though he isn't attracted to her. I think hearing that he still cares what happens to her would help her now that she is feeling so low.

I was sad to see Luke's son and Maddie sniping at each other, so it was nice to see them make up and hang out. I was annoyed that Teddy was worried what it would look like. Who cares? Are the press allowed into Teddy's living room to see them hanging out? Even if the kids posted pictures of themselves together, that would be a positive thing (unlike, say, a video of Deacon punching Luke).

Juliette's sitcom "you have too much stuff" storyline was cliche and boring for me. Look, when you get married and live together, that means that you BOTH get to have the stuff you love in the house. Either buy a new house and decorate it together so that the rooms all have the desired flow or shut up about him having too much stuff. It's not like Juliette has a tiny apartment. She has a huge freaking house and this is not some long lost cousin who is staying for a few days. This is your HUSBAND. You can't have everything your way, even if it's your house that he's moving into.

I believe they said the bill was at least 50 pages.  Then at a later point someone said the shrimp alone was $50,000.  But if People magazine was supposed to be paying for it all, why did Luke have it anyway?

Yup, I heard the same stuff. Luke sent over a 50 page bill for the wedding and the shrimp was $50K. People magazine agreed to pay for the wedding in exchange for having exclusive rights to the wedding pictures. Since the wedding was called off the day of the event, it was too late to cancel (as evidenced by all the food, chairs, etc. being set up) which means the caterers and the rental company have to be paid. Since People wasn't getting the wedding exclusive, they sent the bill to Luke and he sent it to Rayna.

• Love 6

Let's start a pool over who the liver donor will be. I think Luke. Just kidding.

I somehow missed why it couldn't be Scarlet, what did the doctor say? Anyway, my first thought was Maddie but I also can't remember how old she is and don't know how old she needs to be. 

No way. Did he really? I already deleted the episode off my DVR and I'm sad I missed that.

I somehow missed why it couldn't be Scarlet, what did the doctor say? Anyway, my first thought was Maddie but I also can't remember how old she is and don't know how old she needs to be. 

Scarlet is the wrong blood type. Deacon is O and can only accept from another O type donor.

Poor Sage and Daphne. "What happened?" "I don't know but I really hate my mom right now." And I loved Daphne braiding her hair on the couch at the end. Daphne is pushed aside for Maddie's drama and we just learned Sage's name a few episodes ago. They're my favorite. 

A lot of eye rolls tonight.

Micah singing with Gunner- I want one character that's related to someone that can sing that just sucks at it. They try and people have to be like, honey, no.

Sadie and the gun- I don't have a problem with her getting one I guess, her ex is an asshole and something awful is about to go down with him but I wish the lady at the gun shop made her give an ID.

Luke's son saying Maddie was a princess that sat high in her tower judging everyone- Kid, there is a big ass water fountain in an even bigger pool right behind you. You've got a tower too.

• Love 2

Scarlett's blood type is AB and Deacon's is O so she can't donate. Maddie is still underage so she can't donate without parental consent. I think the last we heard she was 15 earlier this season.

• Love 1

Yep parents are anything but O. One is A, the other B or one is AB and the other is A or B. Type O is definitely out of the question. But maybe this is where we find out that the insufferable bitch of a woman isn't Scarlett's real mother. Or maybe Scarlett has a brother.

This is clearly a show about misery, kind of like how Seinfeld was a show about nothing. Why Javery can't have just one episode about being newlywed and in love, I'll never know. And I think Sadie's purpose is to break up Javery or maybe land Avery in jail for murder.

Rayna is a shallow, self-centered jerk who doesn't deserve anyone. And if I'm being honest, so is Juliette. Please, you love Avery. Build him a man-cave for his things.

Gunnar's son story is the high fiber oat bran of the show. It's for firmness and bulk, not for interest and flavor.

Layla is alive!! I hope Jeff starts to pine for her and she wants nothing to do with his sorry self.

No. For Scarlett to be Type AB, she had to get the "A" from one parent and the "B" from another. (You get one letter from each parent. So someone who is type "O" is actually an "OO.") Who knew that my junior high honors biology class would pay off after all these years ;)

Yep parents are anything but O. One is A, the other B or one is AB and the other is A or B. Type O is definitely out of the question. But maybe this is where we find out that the insufferable bitch of a woman isn't Scarlett's real mother. Or maybe Scarlett has a brother.

This is clearly a show about misery, kind of like how Seinfeld was a show about nothing. Why Javery can't have just one episode about being newlywed and in love, I'll never know. And I think Sadie's purpose is to break up Javery or maybe land Avery in jail for murder.

Rayna is a shallow, self-centered jerk who doesn't deserve anyone. And if I'm being honest, so is Juliette. Please, you love Avery. Build him a man-cave for his things.

Gunnar's son story is the high fiber oat bran of the show. It's for firmness and bulk, not for interest and flavor.

Layla is alive!! I hope Jeff starts to pine for her and she wants nothing to with his sorry self.

Edited by TVWithPity
  • Love 1

No way. Did he really? I already deleted the episode off my DVR and I'm sad I missed that.

The exact quote was "wheels up, jackass" and it was awesome. I can't stand Rayna these days and don't care whether she and Deacon get back together, but seeing Deacon realize that he no longer needed to play nice to this massive tool who had made him so miserable on tour was a fist-pump moment.

• Love 8
Jeff actually did the right thing for once? I guess all you have to do is almost die to get that reaction.

Yeah, how close to death does someone have to get before Jeff uses his powers for good instead of evil? Wouldn't it have made sense to call out that producer earlier on her sleazy tactics? Or, I guess, for Will to call on Jeff much earlier about the blackmail scheme?

50 grand? That is a lot of shrimp.

I can sympathize with Deacon not wanting to invoke Rayna's pity in his liver-related drama; he's genuinely trying to spare her from having to clean up another of his messes. But we all know it's not going to last. I was sure Scarlett would call Rayna in spite of Deacon's objection.

• Love 1

Maddie could be 45 years old and I still would have a hard time beleiving Deacon would agree to let her do it so I'm really hoping the show doesn't even try to go there.  My guess it the donor will end up being Rayna.  They don't have to be related and what would be more OTT and soaptastic than Rayna giving her liver to save Deacon.

• Love 5

Also, I know nothing about liver cancer, but I have known people who have had other cancers. One friend had stage 4 uterine cancer, and the doctors weren't as negative and downer as this doctor was. Is that for real? Transplant or nothing, and sorry, Charlie, you're screwed? It seems like the doctor would at least try to sugar coat it a little bit, even if the prognosis is bleak.

That's actually true. They could try to remove the tumor, but with underlying cirrhosis he's not a good candidate and he'd still need a transplant. Chemo and radiation generally don't work. I'm not sure why the writers chose liver cancer for Deacon, the long-term survival rates are abysmal even if it's caught early.

I know I'm supposed to feel bad that Rayna is so tortured and Deacon is supposedly dying, but I just don't care about them very much anymore. At this point, I mostly find them exhausting.

Oh no!!! Am I the only one who hasn't given up on them??? Anyone??? I find that I still care, though I'm glad Rayna's decided to move slowly this time. She needs to spend some time finding her self again and repairing her relationship with her kids before trying her hand at romance again. And I'm glad Deacon didn't spill the beans about the cancer to her. He's right that she needs to not be the one taking care of him for once. Though I was a little ticked that she didn't ask how he was doing after the dust up with Luke earlier in the day. There's still a little selfishness there, talking about her hard day without noticing that he may have had one too.

She really did dodge a bullet with Luke (what a jerk, claiming all of her success as his) and I was happy she admitted that she was running from her feelings for Deacon. But she needs to own up to the hurt she caused not just Luke and Deacon (and Teddy for that matter), but also her children as well as Luke's. Waiting until the day of the ceremony is not cool. I wonder if she won't be hearing from People mag personally.

And Tandy, I get that she's not a fan of Deacon's and that she was rooting for Luke, but did she have to be so rude when Deacon was standing at the door?? Does she not know anything about how Luke treated Rayna?

Skipped over the Sadie scenes and part of the Gunnar/Micah scenes, will watch them later. Love Juliette and Avery, they're too adorable, though I wish they'd have come up with something better to fight about than Avery's chair and his things in her house, that's been done to death. It's not as if she's lacking room - surely Avery could have a whole closet to himself - there must be another bedroom in that place.

Actually looking forward to next week and feel like I've awakened from a long, bad dream.

Maddie could be 45 years old and I still would have a hard time beleiving Deacon would agree to let her do it so I'm really hoping the show doesn't even try to go there.  My guess it the donor will end up being Rayna.  They don't have to be related and what would be more OTT and soaptastic than Rayna giving her liver to save Deacon.

I don't think he will either. I don't think it'll be Rayna, my bet is on Luke

Edited by Clemgo3165
  • Love 5

I don't think I really care about Rayna and Deacon either.  They might love each other, but that doesn't mean they need to be together.  Their love is super toxic and a good reason they never had a successful relationship.  The show makes me care less about them the longer they keep them apart because it just illustrates exactly why they are no good for one another.  I'm tired of them.  

Especially now that we have Juliette and Avery who are the cutest couple.  I loved them this episode and thought it was funny that they had them trying to adjust to combining households.  Anyone who has ever combined households with someone knows exactly why Juliette was feeling so anxious about it.  It's absurd people are calling her a self-centered jerk for this particular thing.  ffs, it's the first day of marriage and the first day she doesn't have final say over her home.  It's a major adjustment and they handled it like any healthy couple would.  Rayna and Deacon would have self-destructed.  

• Love 4

I don't know, Clemgo...I care, I guess...a little? They're just so exhausting. Everything is a such THING with them: music, children, car crashes, breakups, make-ups, weddings, non-weddings, cancer, tours, etc. I really don't like soap operas; they bore and exhaust me, so this show taxes my attention span. I also don't have any experience with relationships that intense going right; in my life, they always explode into misery, so I've reached a point where I want Rayna and Deacon to just chil the hell out. Get their own lives. Do their own things. See if they can be human beings who exist without smothering one another. And I wish the writers had given us a little break before they dropped the new bomb. Suicide, wife-beaters, cancer, fights on the lawn, etc. It's too much for me.

I did like that in their conversation at the end there were no histrionics or melodrama or wild falling into bed. I can see why Deacon didn't tell Rayna in that moment (it didn't feel right), and I liked how matter-of-fact she was about how she felt. I've always felt like...they just love each other. That's just how it is and they need to learn to exist within that framework, rather than force a new one. So I liked that Rayna finally sort of acknowledged that.

Also, though, I spent the entire hour wishing Rayna would write a check to pay for the wedding, or at least say she was going to. Yes, Luke is an asshole, but Rayna did this, not him. She needs to take it, and then to rise above him, do more than just not punch people in the yard. Also, he said he didn't the ring back. Don't give it back then. Sell it. Use it to pay off this charade of a wedding. I don't know...maybe next week?

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

Juliette and Avery made me happy, and I'm so glad their major conflict was finding a space for Avery's chair.

Luke was never a favorite of mine, but I could understand that he'd be disappointed and upset that Rayna waited til the day of the wedding to call it off.  Of course he reacted with anger - that's his default when things don't go the way he wants them.

Hooray that Will finally told Jeff what was going on with Layla and that reality show, and good on Jeff for "taking care of it" regardless of his motives.  I think I might like for his heart to grow 3 sizes and fall for Layla.

• Love 1

Also, though, I spent the entire hour wishing Rayna would write a check to pay for the wedding, or at least say she was going to. Yes, Luke is an asshole, but Rayna did this, not him. She needs to take it, and then to rise above him, do more than just not punch people in the yard. Also, he said he didn't the ring back. Don't give it back then. Sell it. Use it to pay off this charade of a wedding. I don't know...maybe next week?

Totally agreed, and for once I enjoyed a Luke Wheeler song. Rayna needs to find herself again. She got lost in her relationship with Luke and her running away from Deacon after the accident and Maddie reveal. She hasn't been herself for a long time. Focus on what's important, the business, the kids, all those things that have been neglected for so long, before moving into anything with Deacon. 

With the exception of it allowing Chip to show off his acting chops, I really wish this cancer storyline didn't exist - or if it did, it wasn't so life threatening. Not to mention the part where the writers are punishing him yet again for his alcoholic past. He's never going to be able to let go of the past if they keep throwing it in his face.

• Love 3

he said he didn't the ring back. Don't give it back then. Sell it. Use it to pay off this charade of a wedding. I don't know...maybe next week?

This is exactly what I said.  He doesn't want it, I'm sure she won't want to keep it, sell the blasted thing.  

I'm one of those that is disappointed that Layla is still hanging on although I was pleasantly surprised at how Jeff stepped out of the mustache twirling and helped out.  I'm thrilled that Micah is gone now although I agree with the previous poster that if they'd had him singing on the show earlier I might have cared about him more.  

I had a friend die of liver cancer last year.  He lived for two years after diagnosis going thru chemo and a transplant.  A friend's husband died within 6 mos. of his diagnosis.  Its TV so they'll probably have some miracle occur but liver cancer is one of those high mortality diseases like pancreatic cancer.  This way they can hit on all of the soap opera tropes.

• Love 2

With the exception of it allowing Chip to show off his acting chops, I really wish this cancer storyline didn't exist - or if it did, it wasn't so life threatening. Not to mention the part where the writers are punishing him yet again for his alcoholic past. He's never going to be able to let go of the past if they keep throwing it in his face.

Also, with one exception he's been sober for 15 years. I know cancer can come out of nowhere, but it's like...really?? How common is liver cancer REALLY among sober alcoholics? l don't know and am sure it's possible, but I have known many alcoholics and that's never come up. Cirrhosis among full-on drunks, yes, but damn. I feel like no one is ever able to truly evolve on this show, and I'm fairly certain that the main reason I like Juliette/Avery at the moment is that they're just being regular people. Yeah, a bit embellished for TV, but entertaining and not buried in misery. I'm sure that will change soon and then I won't like them as much anymore. It seems like a really bad way to write a story to me. I don't want you to compete with Scandal for most insane, ridiculous, unhealthy, nighmarish plotlines, Nashville. I don't like that show!

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

I actually think Rayna shouldn't even consider paying the entire wedding bill, not after Luke threw himself an adoration party.  It would be one thing if Luke used all that food and stuff to feed the homeless or invite some troops and their family over for a fun day.  It would be hard to make a case against someone who gave perishables away for a good cause.  But a party for himself plus shooting bottles of champagne that could have been resold is enough that Rayna would have a good case for why they should split the bill.  

• Love 5