Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: I'm Not That Good At Goodbye

Unless Luke's attitude changes (and maybe it will; on this show, you never know), I think Rayna should pay up and walk away. Anything else would lead to public fights, possibly court battles, kids dragged through that, and Rayna, etc. dragged through that. For me, pride only gets you so far in life. If you're someone who can genuinely step away from a bad decision, clean it up with dignity, and move forward, you're the better person. There's no dignity, I don't think, in battling a petty fame whore about money, especially when you have plenty of it yourself.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 8

I feel like no one is ever able to truly evolve on this show, and I'm fairly certain that the main reason I like Juliette/Avery at the moment is that they're just being regular people. Yeah, a bit embellished for TV, but entertaining and not buried in misery.

Yeah, that's the thing with Deacon and Rayna it seems, from the writing perspective. They're supposed to be the couple to root for so like any true soap they do anything within their power to keep them apart. So as soon as Rayna moves on from loser Luke Wheeler, Deacon gets a nearly always fatal cancer that just throws more blame on him for having an alcoholic past. Eventually you start rooting for someone else. It's the old Moonlighting trope, when the power couple gets together the show's over. 

Especially now that we have Juliette and Avery who are the cutest couple.  I loved them this episode and thought it was funny that they had them trying to adjust to combining households.  Anyone who has ever combined households with someone knows exactly why Juliette was feeling so anxious about it.  It's absurd people are calling her a self-centered jerk for this particular thing.  ffs, it's the first day of marriage and the first day she doesn't have final say over her home.  It's a major adjustment and they handled it like any healthy couple would.  Rayna and Deacon would have self-destructed.  

Word. Every storyline can't have angst all at once. Just in this ep we have the Ruke non-wedding fallout, Deacon's cancer story, Layla's (unfortunate) recovery and Gunnar's non-kid drama. Oh, almost forgot Sadie and the abusive ex. Come on now. We needed some levity.

Why were Luke and Rayna getting married outside in December? When Rayna went outside for the impromptu news conference, Tandy appeared to be freezing. 

Kylie's mother claimed to be Micah's primary caregiver since he was born, but Kylie said that she and the boy had been living out of her car. Not only that, but she also said that the only life Micah knew was just her and him. So who's lying? I wouldn't put it past either one of them.

Whoever tamed Scarlett's hair, thank you.

How's the breakup going? How do you think?

http://previously.tv/nashville/ruke-no-more/"> Read the story

Lay off the exclamation points. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 1
Luke wrote a song earlier that day he now performs, and while it's called "If I Drink This Beer," the more relevant line from within is "you'll never find a guy like me again." Everyone in the world: "CO-SIGNED."

Hee. Yeah, if we're lucky.

• Love 4

50 grand? That is a lot of shrimp.

Think the wedding count was 500 guests, but that is still $100/guest.

I was no Luke fan anyway, but putting an end to Ruke (the name) is the biggest relief. Every time I heard it, I heard it in Scooby Do's voice.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 3

Also, with one exception he's been sober for 15 years. I know cancer can come out of nowhere, but it's like...really?? How common is liver cancer REALLY among sober alcoholics? l don't know and am sure it's possible, but I have known many alcoholics and that's never come up. Cirrhosis among full-on drunks, yes, but damn.

As for how common? well, my friend and my friend's husband had never been alcoholics.  Neither had cirrhosis of the liver either.  You never know.  I do wish that the PTB didn't go there.  A kidney transplant or bone marrow would have been a much better plot device.  

I too enjoyed the Luke Wheeler song.  I found myself trying to sing along.  Sadie's song, I guess it was supposed to be a brilliant, angstly, award winning whatever but I zoned out on it before I did the Micah/Gunnar song.  

Ted really is either just around to chat on phones or get grief from Maddie.  At least Eric Close is getting some easy paychecks.

I do hope that sometime the character will get a nice plot line with a nice, non crazy, non criminal lady friend.  I hope Eric is getting a chance to direct or something out of his time on the show.

I actually think Rayna shouldn't even consider paying the entire wedding bill, not after Luke threw himself an adoration party.  It would be one thing if Luke used all that food and stuff to feed the homeless or invite some troops and their family over for a fun day.  It would be hard to make a case against someone who gave perishables away for a good cause.  But a party for himself plus shooting bottles of champagne that could have been resold is enough that Rayna would have a good case for why they should split the bill.

I'm kind of agreeing with this.  If he had gone the high road and donated, etc., yes, by all means send her the bill.  I'll even give him a pass for running over the cake since you really can't do much about that (and that was an ugly cake), but the wanton shooting of the champagne bottles and the giant pity party change everything.  Especially since he'll probably make a bunch of money off of that new song.

and now I'll stop editing to add more comments

Edited by Linderhill

Oh no!!! Am I the only one who hasn't given up on them??? Anyone???

I'm at the point where I'm actively rooting for them to stay apart.  The writers have yet to show me one redeeming thing about the two of them being together, all it is is toxic drama, alcoholism, car crashes, secret babies and sham weddings and they both come out looking worse for it.   If I had my way the story for them would be them learning to get over thier shit and co-parent while both moving on to greener, healthier pastures.

I normally hate dropped storylines but if the writers want to pretend that the Jeff/hooker/blackmail stuff never happened I'd be ok with that.  Teddy does well as the parent holding it all together in the background, let's keep him that way.

• Love 3

I can't make up my mind if I liked this episode after waiting over a month. Why did Rayna go back to see Luke again she didn't have that much to say to him? Why didn't she answer him when he said she was broke, in debt and her album went platium, winning 5 CMA's were because of him? What purpose did it serve for her to go back to see him, none as far as I saw. So Nashville writers wasted screen time for nothing. The only satisfaction I got was Deacon punching Luke because he called Rayna a bitch, and saying "Wheels Up, Jackass".

A poster wrote that the last scene of Rayna alone on her bed didn't make her/him feel sorry for her and I can second that. The only one I feel sorry for is Deacon because they have given him an illness that he might not survive from. These writers never seem to give Deacon a break, always and constantly bring up his alcoholism even if he's been sorber for 13 plus years. I know Chip will hit the ball right out of the park with his acting but come on writers, life threating. The only hope I have is the doctor was wrong in his diagnosis.

Normally like Tandy but she was unnecessarily abrasive with Deacon.

Personally never like Tandy, I thought she was to much like Lamar, always keeping Rayna from connecting with Deacon. She was the one who told Rayna she could never tell Deacon that he was Maddie's father. I think she has always been jealouse of the love Deacon/Rayna have for each other even after all these years. Slamming the door in his face was rude.

Juliette/Avery happy for how long that's the big question. Putting his chair in the nursery was a big step for Juliette making Avery happy.

Sadie buying a gun, so I guess she's going to shoot her ex when he comes again, this time forcing his way in.

I love Scarlett because she will do what ever she has to do to get Deacon a donor. She loves him like a father and you can see it in her persistance when she's with him at the hospital, talking to the doctors asking questions on what are the alternatives, what can be done to make him well.

Layla, Jeff will the writers make them a couple? Will Jeff make Layla a star, don't care.

Felt sorry for Gunnar because the only relative he has left is his nephew. It will be interesting if he stays connected but my guess probably not.

I hate Micah's grandparents. I think we're supposed to respect Gunnar, but I really wanted him to say to the grandmother something like, "I told him I was his father, because that's what your daughter told me, and I trusted her. Your family tells lies like that. "

I also thought for those who are angry with Rayna, Cole's interpretation of Rayna's personality was in some ways spot on. He described her as "thinking she's a princess in a tower looking down on everyone else." I could certainly see where the kid got that impression.

• Love 3

I shudder to think what they are going to do with this liver storyline. Having lost my dad to liver disease (post-transplant) I am sure I am a little hyper-sensitive over it. I am already annoyed that it is assumed it will be a live donor (as that is quite rare - only a few hospitals in the country do it). I am also sure I will be annoyed at how not sick Deacon will be while he goes through this. I have seen end-stage liver disease and believe me, it is a terrible thing. 

• Love 5

Amen Angel, and sorry about your Dad. 

A good friend of mine lost her Mom to liver disease and it IS a terrible thing. They aren't even trying to make Deacon look sick and he's certainly not acting like he has any loss of liver function. I really hope it won't be a live donor, would much rather an anonymous donor provide him with the donation he needs.

• Love 1

You guys, you KNOW it'll be a live donor. I can't decide which would be more soapy and melodramatic: Rayna or Maddie. I mean, Maddie would be pretty bad because she's young, the long-lost love child, etc. But Rayna literally saving Deacon's life by giving him a part of her body after she spent years trying to save his soul from the booze?? I'm not sure the writers will be able to resist that.

Honestly, there's a part of me that wishes Deacon would die. Not really...I like Deacon. But story-wise, that would be the most realistic outcome, it would do the disease and the people who have it justice, it would give Connie Britton something to do other than choose which man she wants this week, and it would force Rayna to sink or swim without him. I know it'll never happen, but still. Since they've now gone there, I kind of want it. Instead, though, they've got a guy with a tumor so large he can't get chemo chasing down and punching people in the yard. That's beyond ridiculous and borders on gross.

• Love 4

As for how common? well, my friend and my friend's husband had never been alcoholics.  Neither had cirrhosis of the liver either.  You never know.  I do wish that the PTB didn't go there.  A kidney transplant or bone marrow would have been a much better plot device.  

I too enjoyed the Luke Wheeler song.  I found myself trying to sing along.  Sadie's song, I guess it was supposed to be a brilliant, angstly, award winning whatever but I zoned out on it before I did the Micah/Gunnar song.  

I do hope that sometime the character will get a nice plot line with a nice, non crazy, non criminal lady friend.  I hope Eric is getting a chance to direct or something out of his time on the show.

I'm kind of agreeing with this.  If he had gone the high road and donated, etc., yes, by all means send her the bill.  I'll even give him a pass for running over the cake since you really can't do much about that (and that was an ugly cake), but the wanton shooting of the champagne bottles and the giant pity party change everything.  Especially since he'll probably make a bunch of money off of that new song.

and now I'll stop editing to add more comments

Plus, you know that big-ass wedding was all his doing. 

• Love 1

You guys, you KNOW it'll be a live donor. I can't decide which would be more soapy and melodramatic: Rayna or Maddie. I mean, Maddie would be pretty bad because she's young, the long-lost love child, etc. But Rayna literally saving Deacon's life by giving him a part of her body after she spent years trying to save his soul from the booze?? I'm not sure the writers will be able to resist that.

Ugh, you know Deacon would rather die than let Maddie be a donor, and I can't see Rayna or Teddy agreeing to it either. And the idea of Rayna being the donor just squicks me after the coma from last season, you just know she'll be the one to flatline at the season (series?) finale. The only other thing I could think of is Colt dying tragically in a car accident and Luke having to make the decision to donate his organs knowing full well that Deacon is first on the transplant list. Gah!!

• Love 1

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, yes, though usually it's for a sibling. Occasionally they do it for an adult family member.

Maybe Rayna and Maddie will both match. If the blood type discussions earlier in the thread are right, wouldn't they have to given that Deacon is O? For either of them to match, they'd both have to match, since Rayna would also be O and Maddie would get that from each parent. Sort of like how you could only have blue eyes if both parents do, though Maddie has brown eyes...but whatever! Details, schmetails.

Edited by madam magpie

Right, if Rayna is O and Deacon is O then Maddie would have to be O. If Rayna's not a match then there'd be a 25-50% chance that Maddie would be depending on Rayna's type.

Yeah, that's some dominant gene Maddie inherited from somewhere - not sure how green and blue make brown, LOL!

• Love 1

For either of them to match, they'd both have to match, since Rayna would also be O and Maddie would get that from each parent. Sort of like how you could only have blue eyes if both parents do, though Maddie has brown eyes...but whatever! Details, schmetails.

It's not clear what blood type Rayna is.  She Could be an O,(OO) in which case Maddie would be an O.  Rayna could be a blood type A (AO) and could have given Maddie either an O so that Maddie would be a type O (OO) or Maddie could end up being a type A in that case - if she took the A from her mother instead of the O (AO - A from Mom and an O from Deacon.)  Or Rayna could be an AA blood type in which case Maddie could not be a blood type O because her type would be AO making her an A and incompatible with a type O.

Same thing if Rayna is a blood type B.

And if Rayna is an AB, then Maddie could not be an O either.

I'm not explaining it very well, but you can look at the wikipedia diagram here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABO_blood_group_system

• Love 2

So Tandy dropped her very upset nieces off at an empty house and left them there unsupervised for a number of hours until Teddy finally came home? Whatever happened to acquiring a nanny, by the way?

Only good parts of the episode were the Gunnar/ Avery scene (particularly the tackle hug) and Charles Esten's acting in his end scenes with both Rayna and Scarlett (wow!).

Arrrgghh!  I forgot it was back on last night.   I planned not to read this, but ended up doing so anyway.  Now, can somebody tell me what the fastest way is to watch it?  I don't have a DVR.

I have On Demand with my cable & shows are usually up the next day.

Why did Rayna go back to see Luke again she didn't have that much to say to him? Why didn't she answer him when he said she was broke, in debt and her album went platium, winning 5 CMA's were because of him? What purpose did it serve for her to go back to see him, none as far as I saw. So Nashville writers wasted screen time for nothing.

Why do you hire Connie Frickin' Britton and not have her read someone the riot act in an oh-so-poised way every once in awhile? A lot of actresses come off shrill when they go that route, but CB does it so well. Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2

Arrrgghh!  I forgot it was back on last night.   I planned not to read this, but ended up doing so anyway.  Now, can somebody tell me what the fastest way is to watch it?  I don't have a DVR.

The usual ways.  On the network website, on Hulu, Amazon, itunes, any of the dozens of less-than-legal sites all over the net.  

I have On Demand with my cable & shows are usually up the next day.

Thanks, I'll go that route!

The usual ways.  On the network website, on Hulu, Amazon, itunes, any of the dozens of less-than-legal sites all over the net.  

Thanks!  I've never tried to watch a network show in another method.

Why did Rayna go back to see Luke again she didn't have that much to say to him? Why didn't she answer him when he said she was broke, in debt and her album went platium, winning 5 CMA's were because of him? What purpose did it serve for her to go back to see him, none as far as I saw.

I wonder if part of Rayna is worried that Luke might be a little bit right.  She might be having some self-doubt, which would make sense since she just called off her wedding at the last minute.  She's probably rethinking her perspective on the entire past year. 

Edited by izabella

I can't make up my mind if I liked this episode after waiting over a month. Why did Rayna go back to see Luke again she didn't have that much to say to him? Why didn't she answer him when he said she was broke, in debt and her album went platium, winning 5 CMA's were because of him? What purpose did it serve for her to go back to see him, none as far as I saw.

I think the only purpose was to underscore that he was a jackass and she was right to dump him. We'd seen hints of this attitude of his, particularly at the CMAs. But just because Luke says it doesn't make it so; their coupledom certainly raised her profile but Rayna has always been portrayed as the better artist. In fact he should be thanking her, because breaking up with her gave birth to the only Luke Wheeler song I could bear to listen to more than once.

I felt like there was the fine hand of course-correction in this episode. There was more music, for one thing. Micah is gone. And despite my dire prediction, Sadie is actually handling herself the way I'd want, not the way I'd expected. (I thought she'd hide and feel ashamed. That's how low I thought the show had gotten).

The skeezy Jeff/Teddy connection and coverup worked out more smoothly than I expected. Let's hope this puts the hooker girlfriend storyline to rest. Will finally told Jeff what the reality show producer had done (cannot remember her name), and Jeff did exactly what I expected he would do. Too bad Will didn't tell him last season.

Unfortunately they have done such a piss poor job of integrating Sadie into the show I have no idea where they're going with this, or I should say, how they're going to make me care. I've never liked Luke so I couldn't care less if he becomes her white knight. Although that might be good because I could then easily FF both of them.

Holy makeover, Batman! Cole is now preppy instead of a wannabe hip hop artist? I don't even know how to unpack that one.

Bottom line for me: Rayna and Deacon are endgame and I dig it, even if the melodramatic machinations are annoying. Juliette and Avery are endgame (and R&D 2.0) and I dig it. Scarlett and Gunnar are endgame and I could not care less.

Welcome back, Nashville!

Edited by rubyred
  • Love 4

The makeup and lighting of Connie Britton was so harsh and unflattering in previous episodes (particularly the Christmas one with Luke). But this week, she looked incredible in that scene at Deacon's. She looked SO young ... I thought, "dayum girl...Tammi Taylor has come a callin'."

• Love 1

Also, I know nothing about liver cancer, but I have known people who have had other cancers. One friend had stage 4 uterine cancer, and the doctors weren't as negative and downer as this doctor was. Is that for real? Transplant or nothing, and sorry, Charlie, you're screwed? It seems like the doctor would at least try to sugar coat it a little bit, even if the prognosis is bleak.

I went with my ex-husband to get his lung cancer diagnosis. The oncologist delivered the very bad news (inoperable, 10 months at best... particularly devastating as we had an 8 year old son at the time). My ex started to say that his mother died of ovarian cancer, his uncle of bladder cancer...at which point the doctor held up his hand and said "This doesn't have anything to do with you mother, your uncle or anyone else in your family. Smoke for 25 years? You'll wind up sitting in my office."

Not exactly 'sugar coating'.

ETA that he was exactly right... dead in 10 months.

Edited by panthergirl13
  • Love 1

I agree that all of this is meant to underscore that Luke is a jackass. It started when he proposed to Rayna on stage, and her girls looked shocked, then Maddie seemed heartbroken and Daphne seemed uncertain. What man would do that without even thinking about her kids or his? And I couldn't tell if he really wanted Rayna, or if it was just most important to feel like he won a competition with Deacon. A scene of Luke in private with his kids, fighting back tears while telling them there wouldn't be a wedding, rather than him storming into Deacon's house and yelling at him, would tell me he really loved Rayna and was feeling crushed. 

• Love 5
Sort of like how you could only have blue eyes if both parents do, though Maddie has brown eyes...but whatever! Details, schmetails.

Not true actually. Blue eyes are a recessive trait so you only need one blue eyed parent and the other parent would need to have a recessive trait for blue eyes. I should know; I'm a brown eyed parent who is married to a blue eyed man and we produced a blue eyed child. It is true that two blue eyed parents can't produce a brown eyed child through, because brown eyes is a dominant trait. The more you know.

I still don't care about Sadie and I would think if you might need to kill your ex in self-defense, you might want to pick up a legal gun which you could explain. I'm guessing they were going with her joining some secret women's association and the Jane Smith was a code for 'battered woman'.

I really hated Micah's grandma and couldn't understand why she was raging at Gunnar because her daughter was a liar. How was any of this his fault? I'm really hoping to hear some duets between Gunnar and Scarlett soon-they are my favorite singers on the show.

I thought Rayna did a good job talking to the press. There is really no point in telling the media every detail of your breakup, and Luke would be a jerk either way. Still like Rayna and like Deacon.

I have had both a father and a friend die of liver cancer (one a drinker, one not) and they both were extremely jaundiced and ill when they were towards the end. Deacon doesn't really seem sick at all. I'm guessing Maddie will want to donate, Teddy and Rayna will refuse and so on.

Edited by Madding crowd

Not true actually. Blue eyes are a recessive trait so you only need one blue eyed parent and the other parent would need to have a recessive trait for blue eyes. I should know; I'm a brown eyed parent who is married to a blue eyed man and we produced a blue eyed child. It is true that two blue eyed parents can't produce a brown eyed child through, because brown eyes is a dominant trait. The more you know.

Yes, sorry. I wrote that wrong. I meant that if you had two blue-eyed parents, you'd have to be blue-eyed as well. I don't know if blood types work like that too? Genetics is above my pay grade.

Panthergirl, I don't actually "like" your post. I'm so sorry to hear that story. But I understand the anecdote. Maybe it depends on the doctor? It just seemed so harsh! But maybe too they're less inclined to sugar coat if they feel it's something one has done to oneself?

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 3
(edited)

Yeah, that's some dominant gene Maddie inherited from somewhere - not sure how green and blue make brown, LOL!

I actually never paid very close attention to Rayna, Teddy, or Deacon's eye color but now that you have pointed it out, there is no way that Maddie or Daphne's brown eyes could have come from Rayna/Teddy or Rayna/Deacon. Brown eyes are dominant but none of the three adults have brown eyes!

Blue eyes are a recessive trait so you only need one blue eyed parent and the other parent would need to have a recessive trait for blue eyes. I should know; I'm a brown eyed parent who is married to a blue eyed man and we produced a blue eyed child. It is true that two blue eyed parents can't produce a brown eyed child through, because brown eyes is a dominant trait.

You actually don't even need one parent with blue eyes to have a blue eyed child. You can have two parents with brown eyes and still produce a blue eyes child.

If both parents are Bb (where B is the dominant brown and b is the recessive blue), then the child can be BB (brown eyes), Bb (brown eyes), or bb (blue eyes).

I don't know if blood types work like that too? Genetics is above my pay grade.

Yes, blood type works the same way. Type A and B are dominant while O is recessive. Since Deacon has type O, his parents could have had A, B, or O (his mother/father combinations could have been Ao/Ao, Bo/Bo, Ao/Bo, oo/oo, Ao/oo, or Bo/oo). For the rH factor, positive is dominant and negative is recessive. Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Panthergirl, I don't actually "like" your post. I'm so sorry to hear that story. But I understand the anecdote. Maybe it depends on the doctor? It just seemed so harsh! But maybe too they're less inclined to sugar coat if they feel it's something one has done to oneself?

Thanks... and I agree. Although I also thought it was a really shitty (and probably also inaccurate) thing to say. While the smoking was a stupid idea for someone who has such an extensive cancer history in the family, the genetics certainly played a role. And to bring this topic back to the show, telling a person "well, you did this to yourself asshole" certainly doesn't change anything and DEFINITELY doesn't help them cope with the challenges to come. Feels like Deacon is being punished for his alcoholism which is a cheap shot, writers.

• Love 2

I noticed Sadie had something very similar to Avery's "ugly" chair in her apartment. Both chairs looked sort of mid-century Scandinavian to me, which is very trendy again. I didn't like the colour of the (leather?) upholstery, but the bones of the chair were good, I thought.

• Love 2

To me, the honorable thing to do about the wedding bill is for Rayna to pay it. What Luke did is irrelevant - she's the one who backed out at the very last minute.

My jaw kind of dropped when she decided going back to talk to him again would somehow help things. Even a jackass like Luke (maybe even especially a jackass like Luke) wouldn't have any time to process the hurt in any functional way.

And though I've never liked Luke, I thought the actor did a good job of conveying his pain underneath his anger.

Chiming in on the liver cancer issue - my mother died of it. She never drank. I'd forgotten the jaundice until it was mentioned - it wasn't as noticeable at home, but under the fluorescents in the doctor's office, it was shocking. She died two weeks after the diagnosis. Her doctor actually did try to deliver the diagnosis gently, but there is nothing gentle about a terminal diagnosis, in my experience.

On a lighter note - I thought Avery and Juliette were great as the comic relief.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 3

Wow. I've never known anyone with liver cancer so it was all very abstract to me. I hope the writers handle this story carefully & with the respect it is due. I've got issue with the use of health issues for "entertainment" purposes (not including medical dramas) since it rarely feels organic.

• Love 1

Thanks... and I agree. Although I also thought it was a really shitty (and probably also inaccurate) thing to say. While the smoking was a stupid idea for someone who has such an extensive cancer history in the family, the genetics certainly played a role. And to bring this topic back to the show, telling a person "well, you did this to yourself asshole" certainly doesn't change anything and DEFINITELY doesn't help them cope with the challenges to come. Feels like Deacon is being punished for his alcoholism which is a cheap shot, writers.

Right?! I agree! I'm getting tired of it. He's done such a good job, and that's really hard. I've known many alcoholics, and what Deacon's done is a big deal. I wish the show would let him win it.

Yes, blood type works the same way. Type A and B are dominant while O is recessive. Since Deacon has type O, his parents could have had A, B, or O (his mother/father combinations could have been Ao/Ao, Bo/Bo, Ao/Bo, oo/oo, Ao/oo, or Bo/oo). For the rH factor, positive is dominant and negative is recessive.

Ah-ha! Interesting! It makes sense, then, that O would be a universal blood donor.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

It will be interesting to see who they decide who the donor will be. I vote for Rayna. Maddie is to young, Scarlett has already been told she's not a match. Is Deacon's sister well enough, mentally or physically to be a donor? Why did they do this to Deacon? Is this the only drama these writers can come up with giving someone (he's the character a lot of fans love) a terminally ill sickness. Is Chip looking for an out of the series, I don't think he is. He loves what Nashville has given him, acting and music experience that he's loving, just read his posting on tweeter. He's grateful for all the things that are happening to him in his career since he's been one of the main characters. I know that Chip loves the character of Deacon because his comment on how he feels about Deacon was "He loves deeply and cares deeply, and he's always fighting to be the man he feels he should be." My hope is that the doctors diagnosis was not correct, could that be a way of getting out of this big mess they again find themselves in.

I think the most likely case will be that the writers did zero research about liver cancer.  I have a feeling someone in the writing room thought, "hmm, alcoholic, that means possible bad liver so hmmm, LIVER CANCER!" and then went from there.  I don't think the ones in charge actually know much about addiction or cancer.  So the story will be completely implausible from start to finish.  I'm preparing myself for that.  

• Love 10

I thought they were still hedging about whether it was cancer? Cirrhosis yeah, but possible cancer? Or is the 4m cyst they found definitively malignant?

Although that may not make a difference with the transplant storyline? Not knowledgeable about all this. I think the donor will be Maddie, for maximum angst. Deacon and Rayna will torture themselves about it, Teddy will grind his teeth.

My issue with the whole Deacon thing, is they acted like the diagnosis meant he automatically went on the transplant list - no, sorry, that's not how that works.  You go through a bunch of other physical and mental evaluations, and then a committee meets and decides if you meet the criteria and *then* you go on the list.  You can fast track it, maybe, but not an afternoon certainly.

And a living donor has to go through the same thing.  It takes months, not days.  I believe it was on the order of 4-5 months for my mom's living donor (which was turned down at the last minute, and she's still on the list now).   Donating part of your liver is a serious surgery with a serious recovery - not something they can just jump at doing in a couple days.

I enjoyed the rest of the episode (yay!  Nashville is back!), but the medical stuff was really annoying to me.

Ah, ok, thank you.

It never occurred to me that Luke & Rayna were going to get married outside in December in Tennessee. Yes, we're in the South but December is a really cold month.  I wouldn't want to be standing outside in a wedding gown or eat outside (unless they have big heaters) unless I was wearing a sweater and that doesn't make for the sexiest look.

Chip is absolutely happy as a clam as Deacon, according to our local newspaper, "The Tennessean". He's always showing up in the paper for singing somewhere or hosting something or meeting with students (I believe it was a School for the Arts for teenagers) to talk about their potential careers and having a Q & A with them.  And he was shown taking selfies with them, which was cool.

He seems to love his life and I wish Chip could say the same thing.  

• Love 2

So Tandy dropped her very upset nieces off at an empty house and left them there unsupervised for a number of hours until Teddy finally came home? Whatever happened to acquiring a nanny, by the way?

I wondered about this, too.

I still don't care about Sadie and I would think if you might need to kill your ex in self-defense, you might want to pick up a legal gun which you could explain.
I'm puzzled why she didn't give a real name. Is it just that she wanted the gun right away instead of in 3 days or whatever? And did she do research to find a sympathetic gun seller or just get lucky? I worry that she's going to kill her ex in some random location and ditch the gun and then we'll have a whole arc about that (blergh).

dcalley. Here in TN as long as you have a valid TN drivers license and can pass a $10 background check you get the gun that day, no waiting.

So unless Sadie has a felony in her past she shouldn't have had to pull that Jane Smith crap.