Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Shunning / S01.E04: Success Perm

When the cul-de-sac plans a block party to celebrate NASCAR, Louis urges the family to use the event to make new friends (and promote Cattleman’s Ranch Steakhouse). But Jessica has problems fitting in, especially after she befriends a beautiful trophy wife the roller blade moms don’t like. Meanwhile, Eddie schemes to win the respect of the neighborhood kids.

The dial up internet sound had me laughing and also sent a chill down my spine remembering the wait, there was always that one point in the dial up that you knew you had to get to or it would fail.  My husband and I loved these episodes, oh the success perms.

• Love 7

The details in Success Perm were spot on:

- pouring Pert into Pert Plus bottles (I might have used that shampoo)

- the dial up modem (I miss that static sound)

- the dedicated FAX line (with the label!)

- even the volume bars on the TV (I still have a 90's TV with those bars)

- Grunge! (Poor Nirvana, what will they do without Kurt Cobain?)

I thought perms were well on their way out by the mid-90's, but I love that they symbolized success in this group. It kind of reminds me of disco music taking off in India... in the 80's.

• Love 1

Count me in for liking the dialup part the most.

I thought this episode was good. The writers have established who this family is and we don't need to be reminded that they're Chinese. Loved the "success perm" angle as it's new to me. The only "success perm" I'd ever seen (or noticed) was not nearly as successful as these perms. These perms were really curly.

I've always thought that the best way to get to know about other ethnic groups is through comedy (more specifically, stand-up) because you get to see what they find absurd/humorous about themselves and that's a better look than observation from a distance or book learning.

• Love 1

I'm enjoying the show.  The scene in the ODB music vid and video shop had me rolling.  "Mom, get out of my fantasy"

Heh.  I went to high school with Eddie and that young actor has him down. The swagger and annoyance at the mundane is just what I remember.  

My favorite character continues to be Jessica.  She's tough, funny and very likable.  

• Love 7

I'm so obsessed with Evan, the youngest.  He's the one who fed Jessica all the gossip about the moms.  He did the Hammer dance in Eddie's room.  He is the cutest, sweetest, most adorable thing.

Emery is the middle child, the ladies' man.  That name is adorable.

Constance Wu is beautiful.  Her face can be so sad and say so much!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
I'm so obsessed with Evan, the youngest.  He's the one who fed Jessica all the gossip about the moms.  He did the Hammer dance in Eddie's room.  He is the cutest, sweetest, most adorable thing.

Me too! He's a scene-stealer. The kids on this show are remarkable.

• Love 4

My mom stopped getting perms around 1988 or '89. I think all those 80s chemicals fried her hair. The saving money thing...is it exaggerated? There's a brand name obsession thing with Asians too.

I'm so obsessed with Evan, the youngest.  He's the one who fed Jessica all the gossip about the moms.  He did the Hammer dance in Eddie's room.  He is the cutest, sweetest, most adorable thing.

Emery is the middle child, the ladies' man.  That name is adorable.

Yes, love both those kids they are adorable.   Loved Evan's line delivery and facial expressions in the gossip scenes; he did them without being a cutesy kid actor type. 

I cracked up when Jessica grabbed the mic back and told Honey the song was not a duet! I didn't like that she caved to her husband's wishes to find another friend though. But glad it all worked out in the end and they're Stephen-King-loving pals again.

And someone please tell me where I know the actor who played Jessica's brother in law? I almost had it but couldn't figure it out. I was trying to picture him without that perm wig!

Edited by Valny
  • Love 3

And someone please tell me where I know the actor who played Jessica's brother in law? I almost had it but couldn't figure it out. I was trying to picture him without that perm wig!

He was on Dexter.

That youngest kid is adorable. He and Jessica are highlights.

• Love 2

"My mom is a nurse, and she helps sick people get better!" <-- it's lines like these that make me feel like there's a bit of the spirit of Apt 23 in this show.

I didn't really grow up with stinky tofu and lemme tell you, as someone who first encountered it much later in life, it can be intense.  I was at a street market in HK once where I couldn't continue walking down because all the stinky tofu vendors were at that end. It was eye-wateringly foul.  So yeah, people who aren't used to it wouldn't want it, but really, they woulda put a lid on it or kicked Jessica out for the day immediately. No way they even pass that plate around.

Evan's hilarious.

"This is not a duet" -- outstanding.  Seriously, if Chloe from Apt 23 was singing to make things up to June, that is exactly what would happen there too.  And ep 4's "your ta-tas and your Miatas" is such an Apt 23 line.

Whoever it is who raps the opening titles, I keep hearing him say "fresh off the bus", not "boat".

BTW, perms were not the signifier of success for Chinese in Vancouver in the 1990s... or at least not among my generation.  I remember one of my classmates got a perm once and we CBCs clowned him about it for the whole day.

• Love 3

BTW, perms were not the signifier of success for Chinese in Vancouver in the 1990s... or at least not among my generation.  I remember one of my classmates got a perm once and we CBCs clowned him about it for the whole day.

Definitely true.  Perms were waaaaaayyyy out in '95.  It was about the Rachel, which really only lasted, what one or two seasons before Jennifer Aniston, more or less, her current look? 

What was the deal with the cousin and his obsession with Nirvana?  By the show's setting, Kurt Cobain would have been dead for a year or so.  If he had been a fan, he would have been one BEFORE the Huangs moved to Orlando and Eddie would have known about it.

Jennifer Aniston only had The Rachel for Season 2, but I have a strong, strong feeling that people liked it for YEARS afterward and still asked their hairdresser to do it.

Kids like me got HEAVY into Biggie and Kurt Cobain only after they died.  We were Generation Y, not X.  Generation Xers probably loved all those artists even before their deaths but I was too young and ignorant.  Obviously their deaths multiplied their popularity by a huge amount.  People are still buying those T-Shirts!  I bought that T-Shirt that the cousin is wearing like 2 years ago!  And it was huge for me to buy up all those CDs at the time.  Nirvana's MTV Unplugged was released (Nov '94) right after Kurt's death (April '94) and it was the hugest thing.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

I thought both of these eps were outstanding, much much better than the first two. 

The story lines of both eps were so good. Love all the characters. Jessica's sister was great. I'm not sure where I've seen her before. Loved the BIL too. The dial-up modem scene has been used in promos (which I try to avoid), but I didn't know it would be this long. So so good.

Loved Jessica and Honey doing "Redrum" fingers at each other.

Oh, and Ray Wise!!!!!!

"You may be living your fancy lifestyle with your ta-tas and your Miatas…"

"I didn't know Asians like karaoke."

"It's cute like a little mouse shoe."

I'm just so very happy with this show.

• Love 5

I didn't really grow up with stinky tofu and lemme tell you, as someone who first encountered it much later in life, it can be intense.  I was at a street market in HK once where I couldn't continue walking down because all the stinky tofu vendors were at that end. It was eye-wateringly foul.  So yeah, people who aren't used to it wouldn't want it, but really, they woulda put a lid on it or kicked Jessica out for the day immediately. No way they even pass that plate around.

Well  I suppose it was sitting out for so long their nostrils got overloaded. But I agree, that the smell is just overwhelming. They don't seem to be the type to kick someone out though. They'd just be insanely bitchy and passive aggressive afterwards.

Constance Wu has a voice. Wow. I loved that entire plot line, fleshing out Jessica instead of just being Tiger Mom.

"I didn't know Asians liked karaoke"

"This isn't a duet"

The kids are all so adorable. The kid playing Eddie has the "swagger" down. But the little brothers have such odd and cute personalities as well.

Melrose Plate's of Steak so reminded me of Bob's Burgers. I hope it's a thing, like Bob's specials.

Eddie's family is Taiwanese no? I'm surprised they haven't corrected any of the "Chinese people" comment. I know my Taiwanese friends were very firm in correcting anyone who'd call them Chinese.

It was definitely an issue with my parents generation. My parents thought it was dumb and definitely made fun of their myriad of friends who get them. "Lion heads". My aunts in China got into the whole perm thing in the 2000's.

The dial up sound was...nerve wracking. Why isn't it connecting? Why can't I connect? What's going on? And then the memories of someone picking up the phone while being online.

"Steve has a fancy noise box."

"Yeah, it's called Connie."

Was the OJ is an imposter thing a thing?

It is getting a bit distracting that they speak so much English to the grandmas.

I'm really liking this show. Not just the Asian aspect, but it's funny.  I love the relationship between the parents. They're funny but they also love each other.

Edited by solotrek
  • Love 1

Followed by the distracted autopilot high five.

It is getting a bit distracting that they speak so much English to the grandmas.

Eh.  When I was a kid, my parents were bilingual and I was pretty bad at Chinese, so I almost exclusively spoke to them in English no matter what language they started the conversation in. And it sure seems like Grandma Huang knows enough English if she can follow along with the OJ trial.

• Love 6

I had so many feels from Ep 3 (had to post before getting to Ep 4) for Jessica and Honey.  As I'd hoped, this show is really making the intersectionality (ethnicity and gender) visible in a way that is thought-provoking.  Loving Emery's vs. Eddie's views on gals and relationships. 

• Love 2

That was so great. There were so many terrific lines and exchanges. Another thing I loved was the subtitles for what Jessica and Connie really meant when they were speaking with each other. The payoff (with them saying mean things but actually being loving) was sweet.

• Love 7

Eddie's family is Taiwanese no? I'm surprised they haven't corrected any of the "Chinese people" comment. I know my Taiwanese friends were very firm in correcting anyone who'd call them Chinese.

Accoring to the book, only his parents were born in Taiwan - the rest of their families were from mainlamd China. Most of them later left Taiwan for America, so they don't have deep ties to there.

Accoring to the book, only his parents were born in Taiwan - the rest of their families were from mainlamd China. Most of them later left Taiwan for America, so they don't have deep ties to there.

Many mainlanders left for Hong Kong or Taiwan after WWII due to communism.  Many left the Mainland a few years later (this time, for Hong Kong) because of the Cultural Revolution (or what led up to it).  By today's standards, the latter cohort would be considered illegal, but the rule back then was that anyone who stepped on Hong Kong style was automatically legal.  Boy, things have changed.

I am finding that I like everyone except the main character. His quest for a "hot girlfriend" wasn't doing much for me. I was actually more interested in the grunge-lovin' cousin. And I love the two younger boys. 

I know nothing about the real person's life, but I wonder if the restaurant will "evolve" over the years. Serving Western-Asian foods. All-You-Can-Eat asian restaurants become huge in the later 90s. 

• Love 2

Is that supposed to be super ironic?  That the father thinks the path to success is him running a Western-themed restaurant even though Chinese food is so popular? 

I feel like I've watched more 90's sitcoms than is at all reasonably healthy, and ordering Chinese food was a staple in all of them, was it not? 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

The only way I can understand the parents' thinking is that this is a small (I think--not sure) town east coast city. Asians are more prominent on the west coast. And most of the 90s sitcoms took place in NYC. Of course, the wife ends up serving stinky tofu. Not sweet n sour pork? Deep fried squid? Fried rice? 

• Love 1

Loved a lot of the moments already mentioned! I really do love how Evan seems to be a bit of a mama's boy and he was her representative for the meetings. I cracked up at that entire situation, especially him reciting the story of why all the neighbors don't like Honey, and having his voice overlay the wives as they all talk. And his look after hearing that bit of gossip slayed me. Also did anyone notice when Evan was pitching his idea for a petting zoo, the grandma was stealing sugar packets (I think)?

Also was OJ Simpson's nickname also really " The Juice"? I cracked up when I realized why the grandmothers were referring to him as Juice cos I didn't have any former context about that (till I saw it on Wikipedia, haha). I was born in '91 so of course I have no concept of the Simpson trial.

Regarding the restaurant selling Chinese food,  I'm trying to remember if Huang mentioned anything in his memoir about why his father chose to open a western-themed restaurant, but I can't seem to recall the book caring to specify. Perhaps just even in the context of the show, the father's decision to have a western-themed restaurant is representative of his attempts to conform and assimilate to western culture and be successful. I mean, I don't wanna go around creating symbolic meanings to everything single detail or thing that happens in the show though, cos typing that out felt a little ridiculous. Hahaha. But I mean, maybe there is something to it in his decision to choose a western-themed restaurant and to serve American food as part of his process of acculturation. Now I'm wondering if they'll address how and why Louis chose the type of food for his restaurant to serve.

Anyway, is this gonna be the norm for the show to air two episodes every week?

• Love 2

Regarding the restaurant selling Chinese food, I'm trying to remember if Huang mentioned anything in his memoir about why his father chose to open a western-themed restaurant, but I can't seem to recall the book caring to specify. Perhaps just even in the context of the show, the father's decision to have a western-themed restaurant is representative of his attempts to conform and assimilate to western culture and be successful. I mean, I don't wanna go around creating symbolic meanings to everything single detail or thing that happens in the show though, cos typing that out felt a little ridiculous. Hahaha. But I mean, maybe there is something to it in his decision to choose a western-themed restaurant and to serve American food as part of his process of acculturation. Now I'm wondering if they'll address how and why Louis chose the type of food for his restaurant to serve.

In the book he wrote that he asked his mother why they didn't do Chinese and she said that nobody wants to pay for real Chinese food. The dad and his partner worked for a few weeks as line cooks for a steakhouse and seafood place before getting their own seafood place (the steakhouse came later), so maybe they just went with what they knew professionally.

(I'm reading his memoir now. Started out fine but has become incredibly grating.)

Edited by Luciano

I liked that eppy it had heart. I see they're airing episodes out of order since this is obviously the episode before last weeks ( which explains why she was singing at the restaurant). I don't know I'm just expecting more laughs. Not impressed by the perm episode. This show just feels .... safe.

Edited by Oscirus

I really like having the restaurant in the background of everything because it helps bring a contrast to food when it's brought up - like the lame potluck by the Stepford wives and the "Stinky Tofu" by Jessica.  I got a bit wibbly when Honey went for the tofu and genuinely was excited about it; that's always been a way that I find affinity for someone - if they like or are willing to try delicious (but strange) ethnic food, they've got to be okay on some level. 

• Love 4

Also was OJ Simpson's nickname also really " The Juice"? I cracked up when I realized why the grandmothers were referring to him as Juice cos I didn't have any former context about that (till I saw it on Wikipedia, haha). I was born in '91 so of course I have no concept of the Simpson trial.

Yes, it was. Its not something I heard alot of during the trial because at the point it seemed like most people had shifted to hating OJ, but before when he did movies and commercials I heard it all the time. Nothing felt more 90s to me than seeing the court footage of that trial. They announced the verdict over the PA system at my elementary school. Details like an OJ subplot are what really ground this show for me.

• Love 6

Also was OJ Simpson's nickname also really " The Juice"? I cracked up when I realized why the grandmothers were referring to him as Juice cos I didn't have any former context about that (till I saw it on Wikipedia, haha).

I'm so slow that you guys talking about it now made me figure out why OJ would be called "The Juice".

• Love 2

Regarding the OJ stuff, his nickname was "The Juice", and no, the OJ imposter theory was not really a thing. At least not among anyone whose hat wasn't made of tinfoil.

I tell you, people being too young to know that OJ was called "The Juice" makes me feel incredibly old. 

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 14

I hope honey and her old man, literally, become regulars on this show.  I like her as a BFF for Jessica.

Yeah, and I like that they made Honey likeable and Jessica unthreatened by her instead of the usual one-dimensional bimbo or superficial trophy wife stereotype.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 8

Yeah, and I like that they made Honey likeable and Jessica unthreatened by her instead of the usual one-dimensional bimbo or superficial trophy wife stereotype.

Agreed.  There was an interesting nuance with Honey that she's more worldly and open to new experiences (stinky tofu and Stephen King movie), more likely to think for herself, and even very aware of why Eddie was acting so ridiculously.  While I don't support stealing someone's spouse (which is not even certain), it is certainly possible that the hubbie actually realized she was more of an individual, thinking person than his first wife (who was probably also a Stepford).  It's awkward and uncomfortable (esp. since Eddie likes her stepdaughter), but that's reality, and it's something that I look forward to seeing explored.

• Love 2

I'll say one thing for Louis, he recovers quickly and doesn't dwell on making an honest mistake "Of course she's your wife, she doesn't look anything like you" (or words to that effect).

As a character I think Eddie's in danger of being overshadowed by his brothers.

Oh, and Ray Wise!!!!!!

In FOTB time, it's only been a few years since Twin Peaks. I wonder if Louis & Jessica watched it and noticed the resemblance between their neighbor and Leland Palmer.

Is that supposed to be super ironic?  That the father thinks the path to success is him running a Western-themed restaurant even though Chinese food is so popular? 

I feel like I've watched more 90's sitcoms than is at all reasonably healthy, and ordering Chinese food was a staple in all of them, was it not?

For show purposes, unless/until I hear otherwise, I'm just going with a basic business decision. Louis & Jessica may have decided that the particular area in Orlando was a good location for a steakhouse (it's close to the hospital after all); that the area already had enough American style Chinese restaurants; and they thought a steakhouse would do better business than a restaurant that served more traditional Chinese dishes (it's not as if the neighbors or the kids at Eddie's school seemed interested in it).

After all, Outback Steakhouse didn't start in Australia, but Florida, nor were any of founders, so far as I know, from Australia.

As a character I think Eddie's in danger of being overshadowed by his brothers.

Very true. Eddie is the only character I don't have any interest in.

Perhaps because his character is such a cliché. Which is ironic since the whole point of this show, and it's source material, is to challenge and defy clichés (and at times, dive right into them). We're supposed to be all "what the hey?" at a 12 year old Asian kid who, rather than being the studious overachiever pop culture has deluged us with forever, is instead a hip hop loving, smart aleck who seemingly has little interest in academics. Which is indeed something different for Asian characters, but in general makes him just like countless other 12 year olds, both in real life and in pop culture.

On the other hand, Evan and Emery, while conforming to the clichéd characterization, manage to add nice touches that make them stand out and enjoyable to watch.

Outside of being Asian, Eddie is just like any number of TV kids that have been around since the beginning of the medium.

• Love 1

Outside of being Asian, Eddie is just like any number of TV kids that have been around since the beginning of the medium.

That's sort of the point, isn't it?  That he's pretty "normal," unlike his brothers?  However, he IS rebellious by immigrant Asian standards - especially for his love of hip hop (considering many middle class Asian immigrants' attitudes towards black people/African-American culture).

• Love 4

To be fair, among the brothers, I think Eddie is the most difficult character to play, at least so far.  It's a bigger part and the character doesn't seem to have the sense of place that Evan and Emery do.  Both Evan and Emery seem to naturally fit in, in their own way (one again, at least so far, maybe that will change when they get older)

Emery is one of those kids who has "it", for lack of a better word.

Evan doesn't have "it" in that sense, but it just seems natural that he could sub for his mother at neighborhood meetings without anyone missing a beat (I think Ian Chen did a really good job with that).

(Offhand thought: Perhaps Eddie isn't always a reliable narrator and Emery and Evan don't fit in as much as Eddie thinks, but Eddie doesn't notice).

Still, even playing smaller, less conflicted characters, I think the actors playing Evan and Emery and doing a good job.  They're the most enjoyable TV kids I've seen in a long time.

• Love 3

That's sort of the point, isn't it?  That he's pretty "normal," unlike his brothers?  However, he IS rebellious by immigrant Asian standards - especially for his love of hip hop (considering many middle class Asian immigrants' attitudes towards black people/African-American culture).

I know it's the point, I'm just saying it isn't interesting. Not to me anyway.

Edited by reggiejax