Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Chapter Eleven

Jane gets two job offers: a permanent teaching position, and a writing internship at Rogelio's telenovela. Elsewhere, Alba reminds Xo to keep the promise she made to God; and Michael ignores his boss's orders and investigates Rafael's link to Sin Rostro.

I don't really get the ending.

What kind of diabolical plan could the assistant and Carla from Scrubs have? 

A solid enough installment, but I wasn't really wowed.

Yeah, not exactly their strongest ep, but some good parts here and there.

Was a little surprised at Michael saying that stuff to Jane at the hospital. He should have played it cool and not bring up Raf if he really has thoughts about getting her back. 

Rogelio and his facial expressions continue to crack me up. As does the typed graphics.

I really wish I liked Rafael, because his and Jane's story is the kind of romantic trope I usually love, but he just seems so skeevy. And oddly boring.

I'm more invested in Rogelio and Xo and even Petra and Lachlan than I am in Jane and Rafael. I just don't buy them as OTP. Everything Xo said tonight about their relationship was spot on, regardless of Michael.

• Love 9

I thought the opposite.  I thought she was pretty much full if it the entire episode and annoyed the heck out of me. 

I sympathized with her when she admitted to missing Michael.  I get that she's mourning the notion that Michael was going to be her son-in-law, that he was part of the family for two years and that she still has a strong connection with him even though Jane seems to have moved on.

But that's where my sympathy for her feelings ended.  For as much as she dislikes Rafael based on what she thinks she knows, he at least treats her like a  human being. 

She, on the other hand, spoke in Spanish thinking he wouldn't understand her.  She treats one incident that happened five years ago as the definining moment of his character and essentially refused to listen when he tried to engage her in a conversation where he admits he was wrong and tried to tell her how/why he changed.  I get that she's protective of her girl but she's holding him to a higher standard than she holds others.  And she did a whole lot of ridiculous projecting when Rafael offered to support Jane financially if she wanted to pursue her writing dream.  Not once did he every imply that Jane wasn't a hard worker. 

What am I forgetting that he did to deserve that treatment from her?  Let her sing at his hotel? Studied hard because he knew Jane wanted her mother and abuela to like him? 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 16

I loved this episode. Didn't approve of everything people did, but enjoyed the drama.

I assume the head writer and the assistant are scheming to get Rogelio's character killed off and give the assistant a role instead. Wouldn't that be a producer decision, though? And wouldn't Rogelio have a contract stipulating how long he's on the show?

Xiomara was a jerk to Rafael, and I'm glad she realized it (or at least was forced to acknowledge it a little, even if she still believes she is right). She's hated him from the start just because he is wealthy. Maybe he didn't call Jane five years ago, but it isn't like they even had a relationship beyond one nice conversation, so I don't know how that is proof of anything about his character. Besides which, we don't know why he didn’t call. Maybe he was a player and thought her just one of many, but maybe it was something else. Family problems going on or something. And then time passed and blah blah blah. It isn’t like they were serious and he walked away without warning. I hate all the assumptions Xiomara makes about Rafael. He is not automatically a certain kind of person just because he has money. I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate other people making assumptions about her character based on her bank account.

Rogelio is the greatest. The priest scene cracked me up. Maybe I would go to confession if it were like that!

Why would Petra leave the terrace doors open if she's worried about her safety? For that matter, why is she still hanging around the hotel? Perhaps she wants Milos to find her.

• Love 1

I assume the head writer and the assistant are scheming to get Rogelio's character killed off and give the assistant a role instead. Wouldn't that be a producer decision, though? And wouldn't Rogelio have a contract stipulating how long he's on the show?

I don't know if this applies to telenovelas as well, but on shows the head writer IS the executive producer who makes the writing decisions. It's difficult to imagine that she could kill of the show's star without support from the network or money people, but I'm sure they will say that it's because Rogelio is insufferable and no longer a good investment anyway. They wouldn't need Jane for anything, but them hiring Jane so she can be the one who kills off her dad just shows how much they personally loathe Rogelio and want to hurt him and mess with his head because he probably treats them like shit as a consequence of his delusions of grandeur.

I wish Jane had picked the teaching job, frankly. I'm all for following your dreams but it's pretty obvious that even though a writing credit is a writing credit, telenovelas aren't her thing. But who knows, maybe it will turn out that she's really good at it. Didn't she say she wanted to write romance?

Xiomara was a jerk to Rafael, and I'm glad she realized it (or at least was forced to acknowledge it a little, even if she still believes she is right). She's hated him from the start just because he is wealthy. Maybe he didn't call Jane five years ago, but it isn't like they even had a relationship beyond one nice conversation, so I don't know how that is proof of anything about his character. Besides which, we don't know why he didn’t call. Maybe he was a player and thought her just one of many, but maybe it was something else. Family problems going on or something. And then time passed and blah blah blah. It isn’t like they were serious and he walked away without warning. I hate all the assumptions Xiomara makes about Rafael. He is not automatically a certain kind of person just because he has money. I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate other people making assumptions about her character based on her bank account.

I liked seeing Xiomara like she was with Rafael. Hell, she makes more sense to me than Jane when it comes to the Michael-Rafael thing. Michael was like a part of the family for a long time and she trust him, probably still thinks he's a good guy. Rafael, on the other hand, is a supposed reformed bad boy who was still married when this whole thing started and, in her mind, is making Jane act very un Jane like. Xiomara is used to Jane being the responsible one, so the whole thing makes her weary. Plus, she probably has met her share of men like Rafael who turned out to be jerks.

All of this makes more sense to me than Jane giving little thought to the guy she was with for two years and having such a fairytale relationship with Rafael as if Michael doesn't exist.  Not that I would prefer her to be forever confused, but it makes my head spin how she gives Michael no thoughts now. She's not even showing a lot, she got pregnant what? Four months ago? Let's say she was with Michael a month or two after that, we're talking about two months ago she wanted to marry this guy.

Whatever. I wonder how things will go when Rafael falls from his pedestal (this can't be resolved so quickly).

Why would Petra leave the terrace doors open if she's worried about her safety? For that matter, why is she still hanging around the hotel? Perhaps she wants Milos to find her.

Poor Preta (never thought I would say THAT). But all the betrayals on top of betrayals and shit are getting old. I guess Lachwhatever wants her scared so he can control her and make her depend on him.

So, is Rose Sin Rostro?

• Love 6

I don't know why everyone is OK with Rogelio using his position to get Jane a job she isn't qualified for but not OK with Rafael helping her out so she doesn't have to have two jobs.  Even the nuns had an agenda for offering her a job.

Michael is likely to get himself killed.  You don't go in someplace where you think a drug ring is operating without back up and not expect to get a beat down at the very least.  

• Love 10

I think Jane was seeing the teaching vs. writing as too much a one or the other choice. It doesn't seem like she really wants to write telenovelas. She's more of a novelist/short story writer, I would think. Totally different working conditions. Couldn't she teach and work on her writing on the weekends and during school breaks?

I think Xiomara is projecting a lot of her own issues and relationship failures onto Rafael. It's understandable, but not entirely fair.

• Love 3

I wanna love Jane, but she is awful sometimes. I can not understand why she literally doesn't give one shit about Michael. Like you were with this guy for two years and engaged to him, but as soon as a hot guy you spent a second with gives you the time of day you drop your fiance and never think about him again. And not only that, she actually seemed put out when she got the call he was in the hospital. Like she doesn't even care that a guy she supposedly loved enough to marry is in the hospital? Damn girl. She's cold as hell.

I am Xo, Xo is me. I wish Jane would give Xo's concerns some thought, but she's being very stupid and blind right now. I want this to come crashing down on her and for Xo to be all "told you so."

• Love 8

I thought they were going to tie in Jane being uncomfortable with conflict with the reason why her writing for the telenovela wouldn't work: she cannot write conflict because she wishes to avoid it in real life.

I still don't care for Rafael. I do care about Michael as I was afraid he would be killed thanks to our wonderful narrator's ominous word last week. 

• Love 5

I enjoyed this episode, like I always do. It had lots of drama, some genuine moments, some cringe worthy moments, some WTF? moments, and some laugh out loud moments for me.

I really enjoyed Rafael this episode. He made efforts to get along with Xo, yet he didn't want (and rightfully so) to let her stomp all over him and dictate how he should act around Jane. I especially liked when Xo came to apologize to him, and their subsequent scene in the hospital by Jane's bed side.

Rogelio...  OMG, he gave me so many LOL moments. I love him to pieces. He's over the top, dramatic beyond anyone in the history of drama, and while he is quite malhabile, he is genuinely in love with Xo and wants the best for his daughter. His heart is always in the right place.

Michael... Sigh... I am team Rafael/Jane, but I don't want Michael to be miserable and unhappy. I was surprised he told Jane about his feelings. And I was glad that Jane was truthful with him.

Petra and Lochlan - I thought he was genuinely invested in her well being, but it became obvious quite quickly that he only wants to manipulate her. What for, I don't know... Loved how he put Magda back in her place! LOL Her face was priceless.

Sin Rostro... I don't know who it is anymore! LOL The person Rafael went to see called a surgeon, according to Michael. Could that surgeon be Louisa? A colleague of hers? Someone hired by Emilio Solano? I think if anything, this episode completely cleared Rafael of being Sin Rostra or involved with him in any way.

Jane and her butterflies... I knew it was the baby kicking, but I loved the analogy to the way you feel when baby is kicking or when you follow your dreams. :)

To those saying Sin Rostro might be Lachlan...  There's one person who makes tons of sense and that I had not thought about!

Edited by Bouffe
  • Love 1

I prefer Michael/Jane to Rafael/Jane, but I can't hate on her too much for being cold to Michael at the hospital. She wants to move on, and knows Michael still cares for her. Being nicer might cause him to believe he is being lead on by her or sending mixed signals. Sometimes a clean break may seem crueler but is kinder in the long run.

I do agree with Xo, though. It is a mixed up situation.

I am glad that Jane took the writing internship. Other than the nuns, I thought the school story line was super boring. This will probably mean more Rogelio on the show, which makes me happy.

Having a hard time caring about who Sin Rostro is. I like the zany fun stuff on this show more.

• Love 2

I totally understood Jane in the hospital scene.  She went to see him because she knew he was hurt so it showed imo that she does care about him but then he tried to make it more and a fate thing and that's when she shut down on him and rightfully so.  She has told him her feelings repeatedly, and he continually disregards that and follows her and does borderline stuff. I don't know what I would have done regarding going to the hospital room but I definitely would have shut it down when he basically told me that a relationship I was persuing was nothing.  Nope.

• Love 8

I don't know why everyone is OK with Rogelio using his position to get Jane a job she isn't qualified for but not OK with Rafael helping her out so she doesn't have to have two jobs.  Even the nuns had an agenda for offering her a job.

Michael is likely to get himself killed.  You don't go in someplace where you think a drug ring is operating without back up and not expect to get a beat down at the very least.  

Jane is about to graduate from college and it was an internship, not a staff writing job.  She is qualified; she just got it through nepotism, which is not uncommon really.   And while Rogelio told them to make her feel like her ideas are good, he didn't actually tell anyone that they had to use anything she pitched or wrote.  I do wonder though, if he still has enough influence to ask that his daughter be given an internship (unpaid though it likely is), how is he being fired?  As noted above, the head writer is generally the main show runner on a soap, but there are still other producers and the network who have influence on such decisions. So is he a real asset with leverage to get his way, or disposable?  I'm not following how it is both... unless they were placating him with the internship so he wouldn't see the axe coming.

I totally understood Jane in the hospital scene.  She went to see him because she knew he was hurt so it showed imo that she does care about him but then he tried to make it more and a fate thing and that's when she shut down on him and rightfully so.  She has told him her feelings repeatedly, and he continually disregards that and follows her and does borderline stuff. I don't know what I would have done regarding going to the hospital room but I definitely would have shut it down when he basically told me that a relationship I was persuing was nothing.  Nope.

This.  Michael won't accept her choice and is convinced she will a) completely forgive him and b) decide she wants to be with him once she forgives him.  I think Jane understands his motives and is no longer angry, but I also think it changed the way she sees him on a fundamental level. It's one of the reasons I don't mind her seeming to have so quickly moved on from their relationship.  She still cares about him, but he didn't just anger her; he did something that is completely outside what she thought he was capable of.  Even forgiving him won't change that.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 7

Does Xiomara know that Michael is the one who pulled strings to get Alba's deportation dropped? I wonder if, in addition to feeling like he's the secure choice for Jane, she feels like the family owes him for that.

I find it amusing that Xo thinks Jane and Rafael are too different, mostly because of his wealth, yet she is so hot on Rogelio's trail. It's true that Rogelio wasn't always rich, but he's WAY more out of touch than Rafael. I wonder what will happen when Rogelio finds out that maybe, just perhaps, not everyone loves him as much as he loves himself. Will he be crushed? Will he not even care because they are mere normal people and his high opinion of himself is the only one that matters? Will he go over the top trying to make everyone love him? Will it just not compute? I love Rogelio, but divas are not fun to work for or with.

• Love 3

Does Xiomara know that Michael is the one who pulled strings to get Alba's deportation dropped? I wonder if, in addition to feeling like he's the secure choice for Jane, she feels like the family owes him for that.

I find it amusing that Xo thinks Jane and Rafael are too different, mostly because of his wealth, yet she is so hot on Rogelio's trail. It's true that Rogelio wasn't always rich, but he's WAY more out of touch than Rafael. I wonder what will happen when Rogelio finds out that maybe, just perhaps, not everyone loves him as much as he loves himself. Will he be crushed? Will he not even care because they are mere normal people and his high opinion of himself is the only one that matters? Will he go over the top trying to make everyone love him? Will it just not compute? I love Rogelio, but divas are not fun to work for or with.

I feel like, though Michael didn't actually tell her, Xo figured out what he had done while they were on the phone and he basically confirmed he had helped and that he did it because he still cares for Jane.  Thus, while I don't recall the specifics, I'm pretty sure she knows and I don't doubt it affects her bias (though I think her stated reasons are also true from her perspective).

As for the second part of this post.  I do not want to see Rogelio hurt, ever... for any reason.  He is absolutely as wonderful as he believes he is and should never ever be told otherwise.  Also, I have a feeling a defeated Rogelio would crush me.

• Love 4

Yeah. She figured it out and they talked about it on the phone. That's when Michael goes all I will love Jane till I die... DUN DUNDUN.

I think he is going to be cruuuuuushed and won't know what to do with himself anymore.

I do wonder though, if he still has enough influence to ask that his daughter be given an internship (unpaid though it likely is), how is he being fired?  As noted above, the head writer is generally the main show runner on a soap, but there are still other producers and the network who have influence on such decisions. So is he a real asset with leverage to get his way, or disposable?  I'm not following how it is both... unless they were placating him with the internship so he wouldn't see the axe coming.

I think he used to be super influential, but is no longer as popular as he was and has become disposable... and they will dispose of him because he is impossible to work with and by now they all hate him and his diva ass. I think they're going to enjoy making him suffer, so they went along with the internship so he didn't realize something is up until he is blindsided.

• Love 1

But, will a show called "Passions of Santos" get rid of Santos?

Sometimes, if the lead actor falls out of favor or has to leave the show for some reason, he or she is replaced without dropping the character. Oh, ooopsie, he was in a car crash/was mauled by an alligator/had plastic surgery to hide from the villains. A few shots on a hospital set swathed in bandages, and then VOILA! Here he is again with a new look!

This happened just recently on a telenovela that is currently airing on Univision. The actor parted ways with the production company (official word was that he had "health problems", gossip says that's nonsense) and they didn't even really bother with an explanation for his sudden change of appearance. It was just like magic fairy dust and ta-da, THIS guy is now Chava. The same Chava you've been looking at all along, capische?

She wants to move on, and knows Michael still cares for her. Being nicer might cause him to believe he is being lead on by her or sending mixed signals.

This is a good point and is understandable for sure. But my problem with Jane is how quickly and easily she moved on. It makes it seem like she never actually loved Michael, which I guess is fine, but I don't feel like the writing supports that, so it makes her look cold that she just legitimately stopped caring about Michael immediately after learning about the lie he told. Also, she comes off hypocritical/naive to me because she wants nothing to do with Michael and can't trust him ever again because of that one lie but she is completely overlooking everything from Rafael's past/his lies.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 3

I think Jane was legitimately angry at Michael, reacted by going off on a bit of a wild hair and taking up with Rafael, and is now doubling down on just how serious she is with him largely because she's stubborn and wants to prove her mother wrong. Also, she's a romantic and wants to believe in a fairy tale happily-ever-after with the father of her child, even if that requires overlooking a few pesky details.

Plus, since she and Rafael are going to share a child whether or not things work out between them, I think Jane desperately wants to believe that he is a great guy and they can get along and be functional, so she is defensive of him and wants him to fit into her life without all the conflict.

She still got into a romantic relationship with him way too fast, after only a weak attempt at stalling and trying to be reasonable. Oh, well. If she were too perfect, I wouldn't like her at all. Like most people, she doesn't always make the best decisions even when she means well.

• Love 4

I guess I'm the only one that views Rogelio as annoying and a weak link.  Oh well, that's what is great about a show that is strong such as this one.  There is something for everyone.

I'm wondering if Lachlan is pretending to be this mystery man from Petra/Natalia's past as a form of revenge for how she treated him. 

I do like there are several different plotlines that are still out there that get bought up episodes later that fit.  I think the remaining four soaps on the air could learn a thing or two about pacing and equal airtime.  Even though the show is mainly about Jane and her pregnancy, there are so many other plots going on that the show doesn't appear to be in danger of running out of steam.

The thing that would have made most sense would have been to take the teaching job and the internship, and stop waiting tables. But they wanted her at the hotel for the drama, ditto the TV show. The school had the least tie-in to other cast members. But I think i'ts wildly out of character for Jane to abandon her entire life plan, graduate from school where she was training to be a teacher, and just toss it out the window for WAITING TABLES.

I like the idea of Lachlan being Sin Rostro. Either him or Daddy's Evil Wife.

• Love 5

This is a good point and is understandable for sure. But my problem with Jane is how quickly and easily she moved on. It makes it seem like she never actually loved Michael, which I guess is fine, but I don't feel like the writing supports that, so it makes her look cold that she just legitimately stopped caring about Michael immediately after learning about the lie he told. Also, she comes off hypocritical/naive to me because she wants nothing to do with Michael and can't trust him ever again because of that one lie but she is completely overlooking everything from Rafael's past/his lies.

I agree with this. I feel like the writing is really weak here or Jane is way colder that she looks. I don't think she's supposed to be cold, so I guess it's weak writing.

Jane was with Michael for two years. Two years he spent waiting for her. She was about to marry him. Yes he was super shady and he lied, but that's not the point. They spent a lot of energy showing us how much she was attracted to Rafael and her heart got all cgi glowy and blablabla, but I don't think they spent nearly as much to show her getting over Michael. It's like he stopped existing after she got together with Rafael. This is weird coming from someone like Jane.

They can just name the new lead Santos as well. Lol.

• Love 5

I laughed when Xiomara tried to leave Rafael out of the conversation by speaking Spanish, and he responded to her in Spanish. Prime example of how she makes assumptions about him. Why wouldn't he speak Spanish? Even if it isn't the language spoken by his family at home, he lives in Miami. He'd pick up a fair amount of the language just from hearing it frequently. Heck, I live in the much-less-Spanish-speaking northern U.S. and even I can understand almost everything Alba and Rogelio say in Spanish.

• Love 6

On a minor note, this is the first time in the flashbacks that we've seen Teen Jane since the second episode (the Quinceanera); I was wondering if they had decided not to use that actress again, for one reason or another, since Little Jane has appeared in almost every episode so far.

I don't know if this applies to telenovelas as well, but on shows the head writer IS the executive producer who makes the writing decisions. It's difficult to imagine that she could kill of the show's star without support from the network or money people, but I'm sure they will say that it's because Rogelio is insufferable and no longer a good investment anyway. They wouldn't need Jane for anything, but them hiring Jane so she can be the one who kills off her dad just shows how much they personally loathe Rogelio and want to hurt him and mess with his head because he probably treats them like shit as a consequence of his delusions of grandeur.

I liked seeing Xiomara like she was with Rafael. Hell, she makes more sense to me than Jane when it comes to the Michael-Rafael thing. Michael was like a part of the family for a long time and she trust him, probably still thinks he's a good guy. Rafael, on the other hand, is a supposed reformed bad boy who was still married when this whole thing started and, in her mind, is making Jane act very un Jane like. Xiomara is used to Jane being the responsible one, so the whole thing makes her weary. Plus, she probably has met her share of men like Rafael who turned out to be jerks.

All of this makes more sense to me than Jane giving little thought to the guy she was with for two years and having such a fairytale relationship with Rafael as if Michael doesn't exist.  Not that I would prefer her to be forever confused, but it makes my head spin how she gives Michael no thoughts now. She's not even showing a lot, she got pregnant what? Four months ago? Let's say she was with Michael a month or two after that, we're talking about two months ago she wanted to marry this guy.

I  know Jane and Rafael are supposed to be the One True Pairing for this show but the way she moved on from Michael immediately makes me like her character a lot less. 

Edited by evilmindatwork

Cracked up at Teenage Jane writing the apology letters for Xo. Also cracked up at Xo speaking Spanish and Rafael responding in kind. I also love the nun who runs the school and distributed the Jane coins.

I could see Lachlan as Sin Rostro. He seems smart enough to be a drug kingpin. I have always thought that Rose was Sin Rostro. This episode she once again tried to push suspicion onto her husband.

Really love the Rogelio and Xo courtship with the talk about touching pelvises.

I don't know if it's because I never liked Michael or something else but I don't feel that bad for him.  Every decision he made, every lie he told was of his own volition.  I did think that Jane did move on quickly but I don't think it's the same as her meeting someone completely new and jumping right in.  She knew Rafael before she met Michael and if things had happened differently I don't think she would have been with Michael at all.  I wasn't expecting that at all when I read what the show was about and I have to think the writers made it so for a reason.  As much as I love Jane and Rafael together, I actually think Rafael being a complete stranger would have been a lot more interesting storywise.

I do think Xo is being very hypocritical of Rafael considering her relationship with Rogelio but I think some Mom's are just like that.  Especially Mom's with good girls like Jane.  It's going to be hard for her to accept any changes from Jane's usual behavior and dating Rafael is definitely something old Jane would not do.

I was glad to see her come around a little in the end because regardless of whether Jane and Rafael stay together forever, he will always be the Father of Jane's child.  And it's important to Jane that they have a somewhat good relationship.  And whether you like him or not you can't say that Rafael is not trying.

I did love Lachlan scaring Petra into staying with him.  They really are made for each other lol.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 4

Could Lachlan be Miloj post-surgery?  

I don't think the timing works but I love this idea.

Sure.  There's always the recast option, of course.  But if the show is an ensemble about the "Santos" family, it can be about the fallout of his death.  Telenovelas don't last forever.

Also, she comes off hypocritical/naive to me because she wants nothing to do with Michael and can't trust him ever again because of that one lie but she is completely overlooking everything from Rafael's past/his lies.

I have a pretty poor memory for someone who analyzes TV on a message board but what lies is she overlooking?

As for his past, it was pre-cancer, pre-her being a big part of his life.  It matters as much to her as Michael's teenage exploits in that it probably feels like ancient history.  What Michael did wasn't ancient history to her.  It happened at a tumultuous time for her. She was pregnant and having unexected feelings stirred up.  Then Michael did something she didn't think he'd do. 

She probably is rushing into things but playing it safe didn't do much for her. 

Yes, she has kept her distance from Michael but looking at it from her perspective, he invaded her privacy after they broke up.  He has also made it his mission to try to "get" Rafael.  The kindest thing she can do is insist on boundaries.

She is qualified; she just got it through nepotism, which is not uncommon really.

Another thing that isn't uncommon is supporting the mother of your child.  I think the question wasn't about the audience's POV but rather the people on the show's POV.  Xio was perfectly okay with the idea that Rogelio got Jane an internship even though she never applied or went through a competitive process.  It was a handout, essentially.  But any time Rafael says he's willing to provide for not only his child but for Jane, Xio and even Jane in the past act like it's a major insult. Both what Rogelio did and what Rafael is offering are due to family relations (this is something Rafael offered before he started dating Jane) but one is acceptable and the other is crass.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 6

I don't get the Rogelio/Rafael comparisons, they're kind of unfair. Rogelio actually has a personality!

Sorry.

No, I think Xo is being a bit hypocritical too, but she's Jane's mom. Of course she is going to be overprotective. She also sees Jane as her opposite, and wants her to have a more stable life.

Edited by Janet Snakehole
  • Love 2

I don't get people saying that Jane can do "both" jobs.  She's also a waitress.  So that's three jobs she's doing while pregnant.

I get why Xo doesn't want Rafe to act like Jane needs a handout, but FFS, let the man take care of his child while she's carrying your grandchild without throwing a fit.  I don't see Xo working three jobs (although she might be).

Edited by KayElektra
  • Love 1

I don’t think Jane has done anything wrong in moving on from Michael and to Rafael so quickly, but I do find it odd/unbelievable. I know, I know, griping about realism in a telenovela is futile!

Re: the difference between Rogelio and Rafael - I think it also matters (to Xio and Jane) that even though Rogelio was also giving something to Jane that she hadn't earned, it was still a job (well, an internship). Jane was still going to have to work, whereas Rafael was just offering Jane money...not in so many words, but let's be real, when Rafael told Jane he'd take care of her, he probably wasn't talking about setting her up with a good job at the hotel. Remember, when Rogelio tried to give Jane a car, Jane initially balked and only gave in after Rogelio talked to her. If Rogelio had simply offered Jane money here too, I don't think that Xio and Jane would have been on board with that, either. 

That said, I do think Xio was a bit too hard on Rafael and I'm glad they managed to find some common ground in the end. But I'm still not crazy about Rafael as a love interest. I'm not on Team Michael, I just don't care about either of them in relation to Jane, although I like them both separately. 

I also don’t know what Xio was thinking when she assumed that Rafael couldn’t speak Spanish. I mean, his name is Rafael. Rafael Solano. And remember how cautious she was about making sure the doctor at the hospital couldn’t understand her?

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 4

But I'm still not crazy about Rafael as a love interest. I'm not on Team Michael, I just don't care about either of them in relation to Jane, although I like them both separately. 

That's how I feel as well. Although Rafael is now so tied to Jane and I really don't like their relationship so it kinda makes me hate him. But if he's ever moved away from Jane then I could go back to liking him.

I read an article recently with a writer and they said the triangle is definitely not over and I was like what triangle? Jane clearly doesn't care about Michael anymore and has fully moved on to Rafael. I guess something could happen now that would make her reconsider Michael, but I would find that even more annoying and stupid than Jane moving on from Michael in 2 minutes. And why Michael would even want her now I have no idea.

• Love 3

Rafael is kind of in a no win situation. If he offers her money, he's offending her family. But I suspect that if he didn't offer to help, he'd be considered a jerk because he's rich and Jane is exhausted from carrying his child.

Of course, if Jane had resigned from her job at the hotel, it would have helped with last week's problem of Rafael having to lay off one of her friends. But we're not supposed to remember that, are we? In general, this show is good about picking up dropped plot threads. But that was a huge omission, and mad this week's story seem ridiculous to me in no only the funny ways.

• Love 3

I wanna love Jane, but she is awful sometimes. I can not understand why she literally doesn't give one shit about Michael. Like you were with this guy for two years and engaged to him, but as soon as a hot guy you spent a second with gives you the time of day you drop your fiance and never think about him again. And not only that, she actually seemed put out when she got the call he was in the hospital. Like she doesn't even care that a guy she supposedly loved enough to marry is in the hospital? Damn girl. She's cold as hell.

I love Jane and I don't think that she is awful. Michael betrayed her. He even stole evidence from a crime scene to protect Petra because he didn't want to keep the baby.  

Jane has been a good girl all her life: she has worked hard, she has kept the promise that she made to her abuela,.. she planed carefully everything and she ended up pregnant anyway. I understand why she has decided to follow her heart and have a relationship with Rafael.

• Love 10

I actually do, too. What I don't understand is how easily she gave up on any feelings she had for Michael.

I'm curious, what do you think she should be doing in regards to Michael?  Because I do think there were numerous instances where she showed she did consider his feelings.

• Love 5

Honestly I think Michael was kind of a douche. "I don't think you're meant to be with him." ORLY Michael? That's really fucking condescending and something you should keep to your self. Also, it's Jane's choice who she's meant to be with.

Michael seems to be in downward spiral mode to me. I don't think things will end well for him.

• Love 8

I actually think she's been too nice to Michael to be honest.  Probably why he has a hard time moving on.  I also question what the appropriate response would be from Jane to Michael after she found out what he did.  Jane is a big believer in trust.  Regardless of what he intended to do, he broke that trust and that's not something that is easily fixed.  Jane certainly could have waited longer to move on to Rafael but I still think she would have moved on eventually.  I just don't think she would have gone back to Michael. 

Rafael may be the baby's father but the baby is also Jane's.  I don't know if I could be with someone that was willing to knowingly let my child go into a situation that I find intolerable.

• Love 2

I don't think Jane's treated Michael horribly. People complain about how she acts like they're not even friends anymore, but come on. They recently broke up! And it was a painful breakup brought about by Michael being an ass. Most people would need space. I wouldn't act very chummy with the guy, either. She's acted fairly civil to him, I think, all things considered, and really only gets icy when Michael gets on her case about her new boyfriend.

Jane visited Michael in the hospital when she heard that he was hurt. Okay, she was in the hospital to begin with, but if she were really acting like Michael was dead to her the way some people are alleging, she wouldn't have even done that.

• Love 4

It's less about how she's dealing with Michael (though I still personally think she's shitty to him) and more about how she has been portrayed as having just completely stopped loving him or even caring about him at all. She was with him for two years. They were engaged. I understand she's upset he lied (but again I personally think she made a bit too much of it, though I guess it makes sense for Jane, but this is why I don't get why she acts like Rafael is some kind of God or something) but it surprises (and annoys) me that she just stopped loving him because of it. Or even caring about him at all. I think that was a mistake in the writing, for her to just be like "Well, I don't love Michael anymore, yay Rafael let's kiss!"

Re: Jane who moved on "too quickly" from Michael, I guess we should all consider how hurt she was when she found out what he did. And what he did was such a huge letdown that she was able to move on THAT quickly, imho. I think that when someone you trust completely disappoints you SO much that that disappointment is even bigger than the sorrow you're experiencing, your feelings toward that person can change very fast. That's what probably happened to Jane so no, I don't think she's cold or too rude to Michael. Besides, what Michael did not understand is that trying to make Rafael look guilty of everything that crosses his mind isn't the right thing to do to gain Jane's trust again. To be fair, so far Rafael has been completely honest with Jane and, whenever confronted, he never lied to her.

That said, the actor playing Michael has such a goody guy face that makes me feel sorry for him anyway, LOL!

At the same time, I understood Xiomara's attitude only to a certain extent, and I agree with everybody talking about double standard here.

I get it, Michael was about to become her son-in-law, he's been part of the family for two years and he even helped Alba to stay in US. That doesn't mean Rafael deserved that treatment, though. He's amazing to Jane and it's obvious that he genuinely cares for her: I mean come on, he even studied Jane's e-mail! Besides, even if shocked at the beginning, he didn't run away when Jane confessed him she was still a virgin, and he agreed to wait for her: why is this a demonstration of Michael's (and now Rogelio's) real love, but not Rafael's?

• Love 2