Type keyword(s) to search

S26: Blair & Hayley

• Start Topic

Maybe there's hope for them yet!

The first three-fourths of the episode I thought they were doomed to hate each other for all eternity, but then there were some glimmers of hope at the end. It seemed to align with him realizing he got the directions wrong and she was right (and perhaps not a total airhead, which it seemed clear he thought she was up to that point). It will be interesting to see where they go from here, given his "I don't waste time on people who don't meet my standards" intro.

In his intro he said something like, "where are all the interesting women!" and something about having high standards.  

Obviously, he's not looking for a nurse!  He's probably had nurses flirting with him shamelessly since he was in medical school.  

• Love 1
She is obviously a smart, accomplished woman but was trying to come off as an adorable, ditzy blonde.

You hit the nail on the head. ER pediatrics is a ridiculously difficult and stressful specialty, so she must be smart, but she apparently thinks it's cute to pretend she's dumb. HAAAATE.

• Love 1

Repeating here: All talk about how dumb nurses are and the "favors" they give doctor's are now hereby BANNED. There is no need to get offensive about any particular career path. I have deleted the offensive posts and posts responding to those posts (even though they were civil responses, I just took them all down).

Thanks and happy posting!

• Love 7

She's clearly more into him than vice versa, as has been said.  But seeing this dynamic should be interesting.  I wonder how many other teams she'll be right when he thinks he is?  They did okay with the Detour, using it to catch back up, so maybe they won't be too much of a trainwreck.

Blair seemingly only barely tolerating Hayley is still funny for now, but other than that . . . it's gonna get old after a few legs.  I couldn't believe that Hayley struggled at the Roadblock that much.  And the Detour was not the best one for them to choose.  They should've also done Share over Chair.  Very lucky that Libby & C.J. made all the mistakes they made, or they would've been toast.

Hayley reminds me of Jordan from Big Brother 11 does anyone else think so?

Me too! I completely share your impression, and think it makes much more sense than that other example the posters are mentioning - Whitney, one of the F2 on The Bachelor. With that one, I just don't see any resemblance to Hayley.

Jordan on the other hand, is almost a dead ringer. Just one with a better career. Too bad she didn't get coupled with a "Jeff" type. I bet we're not the only ones that see the resemblance. Her girlfriends probably encouraged her to go on the show without a partner using Jordan and Jeff as role models, once she was offered the single spot. 

The other blind-date couples seem like they were matched up because they might get along, but these two seem like they were put together because they're so incompatible, for the sake of potential comedy/drama. 

Hayley reminds me of Jordan from Big Brother 11 does anyone else think so?

Not at all. I don't see it. But I often think somebody looks like someone and people think I'm crazy...

Hayley looks exactly like Anna Faris

That! I realized it when at commercial they played a promo to AF's show that ironically on CBS and it was a DING! moment.  Poor thing has got some odd features. But I never thought AF was all that pretty either.

What was she saying to NKOTB's Jonathan? I couldn't understand a word she said, but it sounded like she said she used to date a Back Street Boy and Jonathan said, "You were there?" Wondering what she said.

You hit the nail on the head. ER pediatrics is a ridiculously difficult and stressful specialty, so she must be smart, but she apparently thinks it's cute to pretend she's dumb. HAAAATE.

I know!  I'm a nurse and I can't stand her dumb act.  Does she start twirling her hair and talk about how she's just a "little blonde", when triaging her pediatric trauma patients?  You show that kind of weakness to a doctor, and they'll tear you apart.

• Love 2

I know!  I'm a nurse and I can't stand her dumb act.  Does she start twirling her hair and talk about how she's just a "little blonde", when triaging her pediatric trauma patients?  You show that kind of weakness to a doctor, and they'll tear you apart.

Except when she spat out that line about being a blonde in Episode 1, it sounded like she was clearly being sarcastic (as a comeback to how Blair had been dissing her earlier).  There's a difference between doing that and doing the hair twirling/little blonde thing as straight up manipulation.

• Love 2
What was she saying to NKOTB's Jonathan? I couldn't understand a word she said, but it sounded like she said she used to date a Back Street Boy and Jonathan said, "You were there?" Wondering what she said.

I thought she was saying that she went to a concert when the NKOTB toured with Backstreet boys.  

• Love 1

I thought she was saying that she went to a concert when the NKOTB toured with Backstreet boys.  

That's what I got out of it too, but I may have watched it as an extra. It was a concert at an amphitheater in the Toledo Zoo.  Jonathan didn't think he played a zoo, but then she said NKOTB was better than BBB and she wanted them to play more, so he decided he liked her.  They also went through the merchandise NKOTB had, with Johnathan stating that he made Harvey wear a NKOTB onsie. Blair didn't add much to the discussion, so I'm guessing he didn't have the bedding like Hayley had. ;)

That's what I got out of it too, but I may have watched it as an extra. It was a concert at an amphitheater in the Toledo Zoo.  Jonathan didn't think he played a zoo, but then she said NKOTB was better than BBB and she wanted them to play more, so he decided he liked her.  They also went through the merchandise NKOTB had, with Johnathan stating that he made Harvey wear a NKOTB onsie. Blair didn't add much to the discussion, so I'm guessing he didn't have the bedding like Hayley had. ;)

Thank you both for clarifying. That makes much more sense. I tried to find the "extras" clip, but only found one of Jenny announcing Jonathan wasn't her favorite. 

(edited)

This is them on Mat Chats after the last leg http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/video/6rLjfnefVonhD4Oz_5VfpD55ZgZjk7CH/the-amazing-race-choose-your-words-carefully/

lmao, I think I like them (her) http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/video/W3_nMKNjpe97vDT6ttBNSyv1Whu1LRl5/the-amazing-race-911/

They should have air that clips of them in the car after the first challenge but I get why they didn't. 

Edited by gator12

I didn't like Hayley referring to herself repeatedly as the "little blond girl" or whatever.  You're an adult and I'm not sure you're actually blonde.

She looks like Jordan to me.  

As long as Blair doesn't start rolling his eyes at the camera or giving annoyed talking heads, I'm giving him a pass.  For now.  Her voice would drive me batty.  But she also reminds me a bit of Mallory, who was just upbeat and chipper a lot.  

This team was painful from the start and it's not getting better. I feel like I know both of these people. I know girls like Hayley and I have unfortunately been attracted to guys like Blair. It really did seem like he wasn't into her from the start and they're just not connecting as teammates on the race, let alone as romantic partners. They do joke a bit and I think it's easier to get along when you're succeeding (and they haven't been) but still, I don't have high hopes for them.

I had no problem with Hayley nattering on to Blair.  When it came right down to it, there was a list of things they needed, and Blair chose to brush off Hayley.  They likely lost a chance at first place because of it.

That said, they didn't make any other mistakes, so I guess second was deserved.

• Love 1

Oh I was so annoyed when Hayley said something like, "If not for this FATAL mistake, we would have been first!"  Hon, it's not a fatal mistake if you come in second, it's only fatal when you're eliminated!

• Love 4

Oh I was so annoyed when Hayley said something like, "If not for this FATAL mistake, we would have been first!"  Hon, it's not a fatal mistake if you come in second, it's only fatal when you're eliminated!

Did she mention not being first?  If she did, I sure missed it.

• Love 1

Yes, she defintately mentioned that it cost them first place. Also, she could have just stopped walking and gone back and got the shit but she wants to be right after the fact but actually doesn't make him stop and listen to her.

• Love 3

I like this team as a whole.  I think they are editing Hayley exactly the way we are seeing her and Blair the same but that doesn't mean that's who they are.  The clip in the car from above showed two people getting to know each other and he seems a lot more reserved that she is.

I do think Blair should have stopped are listened to Hayley in the last episode but I also think she should have just let it go after she told him once that she was right.

(edited)

Yeah this is what really started to irritate me about Hayley going ON and ON about the error, is that she kept harping on it costing them first place. That started driving me up the walls because all I could think was one, the leg just started so maybe if she'd quit bitching about the same thing and just get the task done, they could get the precious first place.

Two, multiple seasons of this show has shown that the only leg it really matters most to be first place is the last leg. Just last season we saw a pairing who was never in first win the the whole damn thing. Yes first places are nice, especially with the prizes and all but it is a race and as they say "slow and steady wins the race". As long as you're not last, you're still in it.

As I noted in the episode thread, I totally understood Hayley's frustration and absolutely was with her when she first snapped. It was the going on and on and on about it and repeating the same thing that just became incredibly annoying. It happened, okay, move on and get the task done. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6
(edited)

Interestingly enough if you google "Hayley Keel" you get some really fascinating results.

also three other videos for the same Doctor.

Interestingly while the video doesn't mention TAR, note the submission date (Published on Mar 5, 2015).

EDIT - Wait.  I'm backing that out.  She totally namechecks TAR in these other videos.

Just for posterity (but I'll link instead of embed) here's one last video http://youtu.be/3bd4jShGMHM

Nothing wrong with this (different sizes seems about as good a reason as you can get for a boob job), I just thought it interesting, this whole aspect of how she felt compelled to fix her breasts to actually get onto TAR and how their casting criteria was SPECIFICALLY "young attractive females" (not that such is news to us).

Edited by Kromm

Eh, isn't even fatal if you are eliminated or at least the last I heard death wasn't the penalty for coming in last in an elimination leg.  I guess [the comment in the video about casting ] also explains why she felt the need to carry all her beauty products with her as well, not only will she not snag a beau but if she isn't attractive they will kick her off the race.  Perhaps, the reason she's having issues finding a man isn't her looks but her issues.  She's bagging on the guys not looking like their photographs on what ever internet dating sites she tried, but does she use a candid photo or a glamor shot for her profile?  I worked with a lady who wouldn't even check her mail without a full face of make up and her hair done.  

Edited by GenL

Don't forget, "I'm happy to be in charge. What do you want to do? You decide where we go. We should go that way." She wants him to be in charge but only if he does exactly what she says or alternatively (or perhaps at the same time) so she can blame him if it goes wrong.

• Love 2

This team is a disaster, but a comical disaster.  Hayley can't make up her mind as to whether or not she wants Blair to be in charge or herself.  That said, they did the Wheel Detour in a decent enough amount of time, and Blair surprisingly owned the Roadblock.

Second place two legs in a row.  Not bad!

See, I think the show gave us the Blair rolling his eyes setup, and Hayley being quite ridiculous and self-contradictory, as a tonic to the impressions from the first few episodes.  

It's easy to totally swing over to Blair's side and now cast Hayley as bonkers, but the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.  Blair probably really is still chauvinistic and dismissive, but at the same time, he was deliberately set up, I bet, by casting rather than with a romantic match with someone they guessed would push all the wrong buttons with him. The more we see of them, the more it seems to me at least that they're BOTH nuts, and the editing just alternates letting us know who's MORE nuts on a particular leg.

• Love 9

I'm with Kromm - both of these guys have issues.  Blair was dismissive of Hayley from the start, and Hayley went from playing the ditzy blonde to being a somewhat psychotic nag.  The whole "struggle" over who would pick which direction to run blindly in was pretty sad.  While I don't care about the romance angle the show is pushing I like to see good racers and the personality differences these to have make that impossible.

She is so toxic that I would not blame him for just getting on a plane in the middle of leg.  Hasta la vista, b****.  It would make a great episode, but there are probably contract restrictions from just going walk-about.

I have had enough of the whiney, bitchy girl-women like that horse-faced braying rachel.  Don't need anymore of them.

• Love 2

I love this couple!  SO DAMN MUCH!  They are hilarious, they cannot stand each other, they're on a date from hell, they're a single spoken word away from going full out Mortal Kombat on each other.  I think it's more her fault, but I feel like he's not giving her much of a chance, I hope they make it to the end, or at least really close to the end just so I can keep watching this train wreck!!

Is there anyone with a Naval Medical Corps background aboard?

Blair's bio says: "I am taking a few years away from surgery residency to serve as an active duty doctor in the Navy."  Does anyone know how that works?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_Corps_%28United_States_Navy%29

I am wondering how common is it for someone in an active duty program like this to be exused for the

almost four weeks the Race requires. Casual google stalking shows no indication of his rank.  

Military personnel earn 2.5 days of leave each month (30 days each year).  That seems like a lot, but they get charged leave for days that would ordinarily be considered free time -- for example, if you go on a long weekend trip and take Friday and Monday off, you are charged four days of leave.  Nevertheless, one of the things the recruiting brochure fails to mention is that you often won't be able to take time off.  You're allowed to bank up to 90 days of leave (it was even bumped up to 120 days for several years after 9/11); after that, you lose the leave without compensation for it.  It is permissible to take up to 30 days leave in advance, but more than a few day's worth generally only happens for special reasons such as a family emergency.  Most people try to keep 10-15 days on the book for such contingencies.

Taking a large chunk of leave requires advance coordination with your command.  It helps if they like you, you're a good performer, and have a respectable reason for doing so.  Seaman Slacker who wants to go take trapeze lessons is not going to get the same consideration as Lieutenant Commander Competent who agrees to take on extra duty schedules before and after his absence.  It still comes down to needs of the Service, and they could have canceled his leave if something else had come up.  

Depending on timing, the filming may have been scheduled at the same time that he was transferring between units.  It's common for servicemembers to take large periods of leave then because you often don't have specific commitments then.  (Though that is still constricted by unit schedules.  You can't take 30 days of leave if the ship you're going to is sailing in 20 days.)

It's also possible, though I don't think likely in this case, that he may have been given permissive leave orders (time away that is not charged to personal leave time) to participate in this show as a public affairs gig for the Navy. If he were running around in a Go Navy t-shirt and giving a lot of interview time about his work, I'd be more inclined to think so.

Edited by Sassenach
  • Love 3

Well, I've just binge watched the first 4 shows and have to say that I find him fairly reserved and standoffish, but she is just annoying the crap out of me.  It is fine to be angry and say so, but then shut up.  Harping on it just annoys everyone around you, not just the person who was in the wrong.  Also, as the person above said, on the Zipline task, what was stopping her from taking more stuff if she thought he was wrong?  Absolutely nothing except the burning desire to be able to say "I told you so" about 8 million fricking times. 

I don't particularly find him to be a wonderful person, but I would probably find myself doing way more than just rolling my eyes at her.

• Love 2

Yeah, I'm kinda over Hayley now and can see why Blair wants to run away.  She was a real pill the whole leg through.  She should've toughed out that Stein Detour.  No need to switch at all.  Nonetheless, Blair rocked out the Stack Detour, and he seemed to be the only one to knock out the Roadblock on his first try, so well done!

Good fifth place.

• Love 2

Haley looks like Britney Spears.

YES!  exactly!   

Hayley is such a shrill harpy.  Constantly criticizing, but she can't freaking DO anything!   The beer stein task was not all that awful if you observe how the waitresses were doing it - it seems that they were pushing their arms IN not UP, making it easier on their arms, because it's a different set of muscles.  

For comparison, if you have to carry two gallons of milk, one jug in each hand - if you push them together, the task is easier than if you lift them independently. 

And why didn't SHE do the singing?  that was a good task for the women to do, save the guys for when there's something that's going to involve brute strength.  

Blair singing a love song to her?  too funny!  

• Love 3