Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Candace Cameron Bure, who grew up working with Lori Loughlin on Full House and more recently on Fuller House, posted a message on Instagram: 'If you can't get someone off your mind, pray for them.  You may be the only one who cares enough to do so'.  I wonder what she thinks of Hallmark's decision to cut ties with her so quickly.   Also noticed she turned off Instagram comments.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

They may not be available where I am though.

If your interested in checking it out Philo should be available and they have it has part of their basic package. It’s a decent cable alternative and there is a free trial but I wouldn’t recommend it just for Hallmark Drama. They air reruns of Little House, Touched by an Angel, 7th Heaven and a really random collection of mostly non-Hallmark movies. 

Edited by Guest

I'm glad Lori is facing the consequences of her actions. They're hitting her wear it hurts the most. Her pockets! The whole situation reeks of white privilege and I have no sympathy for her or her spoiled daughters. 

• Love 14

We get the Hallmark Drama channel...mostly Little House reruns and some movies; we never watch it.  Oddly, we get it in Hi Def; but HMM we can't.  

I actually enjoyed the Garage Sale Mysteries and will miss them.  But it is not surprising that the channel is going to stop making them.  The actors who play her kids are young enough that they will find other jobs if they are so inclined; I am meh on the husband.  But he should be able to get into another one of their series.

Their Mystery movies are so cookie-cutter that the actors and actresses (especially the actresses) are interchangeable at this point.  Yet I enjoy quite a few of them; a harmless way to spend a few hours.  Everything but the Candace Cameron Bure ones; her, I skip.  I will even take Lacey Chabert over her.  The Crossword movie was maybe predictable, but one of the better ones.  

I want to see Colin Ferguson in another series without Jewel.  I still miss Gourmet Detective.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, mikeb said:

Candace Cameron Bure, who grew up working with Lori Loughlin on Full House and more recently on Fuller House, posted a message on Instagram: 'If you can't get someone off your mind, pray for them.  You may be the only one who cares enough to do so'.  I wonder what she thinks of Hallmark's decision to cut ties with her so quickly.   Also noticed she turned off Instagram comments.

Good. I'm really glad she decided to turn off the Instagram comments.

I've been on a Hallmark sabbatical but I have to admit after seeing the preview show, I may check out some of those movies just for some cast members I enjoy instead of the storylines. At this point, Hallmark's writers are just running these plots through the generator because I can pinpoint what movies they're ripping off from before Crown Media owned the channel. I'm just glad they aren't dishing out so many sequels (although I may have to wait to see the June Weddings lineup before I finish that particular thought). 

2 hours ago, Jaded said:

I've been looking at online streaming services that offer live TV and quite few of the ones that offer Hallmark and HMM also offer Drama too.

SlingTv has all three along with Pixl in a separate package if you're looking for some old school Hallmark movies.

35 minutes ago, In2You said:

I'm glad Lori is facing the consequences of her actions. They're hitting her wear it hurts the most. Her pockets! The whole situation reeks of white privilege and I have no sympathy for her or her spoiled daughters. 

Yeah, I'm glad there is punishment being carried out for the crime as well. Seeing the comments on the FB page defending her vs the horrible things posted about Holly RP and her family just for existing on the channel is frankly exhausting at this point.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Again - this topic is for discussion of Hallmark. Lori Loughlin getting fired from Hallmark IS on topic. Not on topic - general news about Operation Varsity Blues, including various lawsuits against those charged, any of the family members involved, court actions, etc; basically, anything that does NOT mention Hallmark. Posts have been removed, and warnings will start to be issued; if you want to talk about the scandal over all, please take that to Miscellaneous Celebrity Talk in Everything Else TV. Thank you.

• Love 3

I didn't watch any of Lori's Hallmark stuff (just her movies of the week from the 90's) but as soon as this scandal broke, I knew she was done. Hallmark's brand is very much about espousing small-town values, hard work, compassion for the little people, and railing against whoever the greedy Scrooge of the Week is. Using your wealth to buy your kid a spot in a prestigious university they didn't earn and stealing away someone else's future in the process is anathema to Hallmark's Frank Capra message. There's no way they could have kept her and done their millionth "rich city people are bad and our plucky heroine will save the day from them!" movie and not looked like massive hypocrites.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 9

I'm saddened about no more Garage Sale Mysteries, since they were fun... but really, I would be fine if they just recast her role and used the scripts they already have... They replaced the husband no fuss after the first movie... Someone should just be like "Oh, I love your new haircut!!" and then go on as if she's the same character. 

I have no desire to watch LL in anything after this scandal (Just as I won't watch Rosanne or Cosby or many of these shows with crappy human beings in them) but I liked to setting of the antique shop and how the murders came about. Though if LL Is part of the production team, then that wouldn't be happening. 

Either way, I hope they can find some new mysteries to fill the gap, that's what I want from the HMM channel.... Add me to the people who hate all of the months of christmas movies- unless you can make a christmas murder mystery!  

I like the Fixer uppers and Murder she baked, so I wish we could get more of those. 

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, roctavia said:

I'm saddened about no more Garage Sale Mysteries, since they were fun... but really, I would be fine if they just recast her role and used the scripts they already have... They replaced the husband no fuss after the first movie... Someone should just be like "Oh, I love your new haircut!!" and then go on as if she's the same character. 

I have no desire to watch LL in anything after this scandal (Just as I won't watch Rosanne or Cosby or many of these shows with crappy human beings in them) but I liked to setting of the antique shop and how the murders came about. Though if LL Is part of the production team, then that wouldn't be happening.

Either way, I hope they can find some new mysteries to fill the gap, that's what I want from the HMM channel.... Add me to the people who hate all of the months of christmas movies- unless you can make a christmas murder mystery!  

I like the Fixer uppers and Murder she baked, so I wish we could get more of those. 

Regarding the bolded: It could happen—there could be more installments of Lori Loughlin’s mystery movie franchise; at least theoretically speaking.

If ABC or the show’s producers could buy out Roseanne Barr’s rights to her character & whichever other(s) she created for Roseanne & were, therefore, her intellectual property, as well as her ownership stake in the show & whatever else she made money from through the show, just so they could continue the show in some form because the ratings for the Roseanne revival were good enough to keep it on ABC’s schedule, then Crown Media (owners of the original Hallmark Channel & Hallmark Mysteries & Movies) could (theoretically at least, if they felt it was worth it to their overall ratings, viewership levels, etc.) try to buy out Lori’s stake in the mystery’s franchise & continue airing it without her involvement, like ABC turned Roseanne into The Conners.

• Love 2

I was looking over the Spring Fever movies and I was happy to see so many names that haven’t been on Hallmark in awhile. Julia Gonzalo, Sara Rue, Arielle Kebble,  Bethany Joy Lenz and Jordan Bridges.  I didn’t realize how tired I was of seeing the same faces over and over again until I saw their names. 

Edited by Guest

I don’t have the Hallmark Channel.  For whatever reason it is not in my cable package.  My mother does and is kinda upset about Hallmark dropping LL.  Yeah what she did is horrible and wrong but.....nooooooo!

i joke though maybe now Lifetime is more LL’s speed anyway.  

2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Regarding the bolded: It could happen—there could be more installments of Lori Loughlin’s mystery movie franchise; at least theoretically speaking.

If ABC or the show’s producers could buy out Roseanne Barr’s rights to her character & whichever other(s) she created for Roseanne & were, therefore, her intellectual property, as well as her ownership stake in the show & whatever else she made money from through the show, just so they could continue the show in some form because the ratings for the Roseanne revival were good enough to keep it on ABC’s schedule, then Crown Media (owners of the original Hallmark Channel & Hallmark Mysteries & Movies) could (theoretically at least, if they felt it was worth it to their overall ratings, viewership levels, etc.) try to buy out Lori’s stake in the mystery’s franchise & continue airing it without her involvement, like ABC turned Roseanne into The Conners.

I don't think they can keep the movies going without Lori's character. They've been really stressing how she keeps finding dead bodies, especially in the most recent movies. They've  made it sound like it's something special about her. There's no way to just drop another character in & give them the same characteristic, I think the only thing they can do is recast. Plus, there have been complaints here (not just me, really) about the most recent movies having too much emphasis on the kids & husband side plots, so I don't think making movies that focus on them is a good choice.

• Love 1

I did like the Fixer Upper Mysteries, but then again I liked the Wedding Planner one and never figured out why they dropped it. 

I personally would not have a problem with a recast on the Garage Sale Mysteries, but I think other fans might be upset. 

43 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

They might as well just go ahead and cancel WCTH now.

If anything I hope they will reconsider using the same actress/actor in so many different projects.  Although it is nice to have a "face" for a brand, this is what happens if something happens with that face..you have multiple projects invested in that person/persons and it affects many things instead of just one.  There are a lot of qualified actresses, specifically former soap actresses, that could easily fit in with Hallmark and offer some diversity...diversity in terms of using a lot of different faces. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, catrice2 said:

I did like the Fixer Upper Mysteries, but then again I liked the Wedding Planner one and never figured out why they dropped it. 

I personally would not have a problem with a recast on the Garage Sale Mysteries, but I think other fans might be upset. 

If anything I hope they will reconsider using the same actress/actor in so many different projects.  Although it is nice to have a "face" for a brand, this is what happens if something happens with that face..you have multiple projects invested in that person/persons and it affects many things instead of just one.  There are a lot of qualified actresses, specifically former soap actresses, that could easily fit in with Hallmark and offer some diversity...diversity in terms of using a lot of different faces. 

What specifically former soap actresses do you have in mind?

Just popping in to say that Tyler Hynes is ridiculously charming.

That is all; we now return you to your regularly scheduled Flip that Romance.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 9

Also watching Flip that Romance. The leads are pretty good and likable, but the male lead was played a little too much with the auction and wall scenes, but the director calmed the character down to a decent level.

Cutesy story.

I mainly came here to say that Fiona Vroom, the redhead real estate agent/best friend, needs to be the actual murderer in a Hallmark Mystery movie or two. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, kirinan said:

That is all; now we return you to your regularly scheduled Flip that Romance.

I concur.  LOVE him!  (And her too.)  Is it just me or does he look a lot like Chandler Bing?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, kirinan said:

That is all; now we return you to your regularly scheduled Flip that Romance.

1 hour ago, AnnaRose said:

I concur.  LOVE him!  (And her too.)  Is it just me or does he look a lot like Chandler Bing?

Tyler Hynes first caught my eye on Warehouse 13 so I'm glad to see him popping up on Hallmark so often. IMO, he's a cross between Matthew Perry and Nathan Fillion, but sexier than either of them.

Edited by dcinmb
Quoted wrong post.
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, dcinmb said:

Tyler Hynes first caught my eye on Warehouse 13 so I'm glad to see him popping up on Hallmark so often. IMO, he's a cross between Matthew Perry and Nathan Fillion, but sexier than either of them.

I didn’t realize he was on Warehouse 13! Time to dig up that episode and rewatch. I never watched Friends, so I haven’t seen Matthew Perry much, but I do see in Tyler the Nathan Fillion-type sense of humor I just can’t resist. The movie tonight wasn’t perfect, but I really, really enjoyed it. It helps that I do love Julie Gonzalo, too; she’s got a spark of fun that makes her really appealing to watch.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, kirinan said:

I didn’t realize he was on Warehouse 13! Time to dig up that episode and rewatch. I never watched Friends, so I haven’t seen Matthew Perry much, but I do see in Tyler the Nathan Fillion-type sense of humor I just can’t resist. The movie tonight wasn’t perfect, but I really, really enjoyed it. It helps that I do love Julie Gonzalo, too; she’s got a spark of fun that makes her really appealing to watch.

He played Claudia's brother Joshua.

• Love 4

The movie tonight was better than I thought it'd be and that was mostly because of the leads.  I forgot how much I enjoyed Julie in these movies. I wonder if she's into mystery movies?  I hear there's an opening.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Yes, just because someone did something worse doesn't mean what she did was a victimless crime. If we just gave a pass to everyone who did something less horrible than someone else we would go down in flames. I applaud Hallmark for their decision. She can easily be replaced. Maybe instead of Garage Sale Mysteries, it will be Flea Market Mysteries. Or, as others have suggested, and I, personally would LOVE, give Sarah Strange the lead on a mystery show. She is long overdue. I think she's a bit more interesting than the long series of rather bland "soccer mom" types they've had, Cortney Thorne Smith, Laurie L., Candace CB, they are all basically the same character just with a different profession. All interchangeable in their genericness. I find Sarah S a bit more quirky, which appeals to me personally. Not sure it's "on brand" though, so I'm not holding my breath. 

• Love 11
40 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Yes, just because someone did something worse doesn't mean what she did was a victimless crime. If we just gave a pass to everyone who did something less horrible than someone else we would go down in flames. I applaud Hallmark for their decision. She can easily be replaced. Maybe instead of Garage Sale Mysteries, it will be Flea Market Mysteries. Or, as others have suggested, and I, personally would LOVE, give Sarah Strange the lead on a mystery show. She is long overdue. I think she's a bit more interesting than the long series of rather bland "soccer mom" types they've had, Cortney Thorne Smith, Laurie L., Candace CB, they are all basically the same character just with a different profession. All interchangeable in their genericness. I find Sarah S a bit more quirky, which appeals to me personally. Not sure it's "on brand" though, so I'm not holding my breath. 

Hallmark puts the quirky characters into the friend category...it would involve them breaking their stale formula and Hallmark seems hesitant to do so.  I'd prefer her and Lexa Doig as leads...heck, I'd love if the 'mean' chief from Aurora teagarden was a lead.  But sarcastic and quirky arent lead material in Hallmark land...hence all the recycling of the beautiful and bland as leads.

Although I do like Julie Gonzalo as a lead..that's a promising sign since she was known for playing the mean girl in teen movies in the 2000s.

Edited by JAYJAY1979
  • Love 3

I finally watched the third Chronicles mysteries, and I think this series is the best of the bunch. There was actual investigation and research (rather than just stumbling over clues), multiple people working together, and a sensible reason why they would be looking into unsolved crimes in the first place. Plus, as usual Sweeney is charming.

Seeing the uncle, the inevitable love interest, and the goofy dude (sorry, don't remember their names) all in the same shot cracked me up -- small, medium, and large.

I want to see Colin Ferguson in another series without Jewel.  I still miss Gourmet Detective.

Yes.

Tyler Hynes was in that Christmas movie where he had to learn to bake a cake, right? He really does have a Fillionish charm and dry wit, I'd like to see more of him. I didn't catch Flip that Romance (or whatever) because house-flipping does not interest me at all, but if he's in it ...

• Love 4

It seems my prediction that Hallmark would one day be airing Christmas movies year round wasn't too far off--a Christmas movie will be airing this weekend and another one aired a few weeks ago. And they're doing something online about voting for your favorite Christmas movie--in the middle of March?

27 minutes ago, Camille said:

It seems my prediction that Hallmark would one day be airing Christmas movies year round wasn't too far off--a Christmas movie will be airing this weekend and another one aired a few weeks ago. And they're doing something online about voting for your favorite Christmas movie--in the middle of March?

It’s supposed to be for the 10th anniversary of countdown to Christmas. A christmas movie every Friday all year. Then they added Christmas classic Thursday’s on HMM. I still think it’s the first step to a all Christmas channel. 

I think the voting is supposed to be their take on March madness but I have no idea about the details. 

8 hours ago, beadgirl said:

Tyler Hynes was in that Christmas movie where he had to learn to bake a cake, right? He really does have a Fillionish charm and dry wit, I'd like to see more of him. I didn't catch Flip that Romance (or whatever) because house-flipping does not interest me at all, but if he's in it ...

He was also in It's Christmas, Eve with LeAnn Rimes, where he sings and [really] plays the piano, which makes him even hotter in a Bradley-Cooper-speaking-French kinda way.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Camille said:

9 hours ago, Dani said:

It’s supposed to be for the 10th anniversary of countdown to Christmas. A christmas movie every Friday all year. Then they added Christmas classic Thursday’s on HMM. I still think it’s the first step to a all Christmas channel. 

I think the voting is supposed to be their take on March madness but I have no idea about the details. 

This will be a really great opportunity for them to show Ebbie.

9 hours ago, Dani said:

The insanity. Make it stop.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, beadgirl said:

That movie, Falling for You, was actually one of the autumn movies (so anyone who's looking for it can find it more easily). And as a newly-minted Tyler Hynes fangirl, I would encourage you to watch Flip that Romance. If it had been cast with two other leads, I'd say the story alone didn't necessarily make it watch-worthy, but Tyler Hynes and Julie Gonzalo have made me watch it twice. So far. 🙂 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, kirinan said:

That movie, Falling for You, was actually one of the autumn movies (so anyone who's looking for it can find it more easily). And as a newly-minted Tyler Hynes fangirl, I would encourage you to watch Flip that Romance. If it had been cast with two other leads, I'd say the story alone didn't necessarily make it watch-worthy, but Tyler Hynes and Julie Gonzalo have made me watch it twice. So far. 🙂 

I will definitely be watching it again, too!  The leads are so enjoyable together.

Interesting that Tyler Hynes starred in 2018's autumn romance Falling for You, and Julie Gonzalo starred in 2017's autumn romance Falling for Vermont.  I only saw Julie's movie so far, which I liked, and I will keep an eye out for Tyler's movie.  He is a very appealing actor. 

4 hours ago, dcinmb said:

He was also in It's Christmas, Eve with LeAnn Rimes, where he sings and [really] plays the piano, which makes him even hotter in a Bradley-Cooper-speaking-French kinda way.

I'm not happy about Christmas movies all throughout the year... but I think I would have to tune in for that!

Interesting, Hallmark has announced that they're continuing with "When Calls The Heart", but hasn't made any announcement about the "Garage Sale Mysteries"

Hallmark's 'When Calls the Heart' is 'retooling' after cutting ties with Lori Loughlin

I wonder if they just decided to stop "Garage Sale Mysteries" because they basically just ran out of ideas. All the 2018 movies were heavily dependant on plot lines that involved the kids & husband & had nothing to do with the main mystery. Maybe they're taking this as a sign it's a good time to stop.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GaT said:

Interesting, Hallmark has announced that they're continuing with "When Calls The Heart", but hasn't made any announcement about the "Garage Sale Mysteries"

Hallmark's 'When Calls the Heart' is 'retooling' after cutting ties with Lori Loughlin

I wonder if they just decided to stop "Garage Sale Mysteries" because they basically just ran out of ideas. All the 2018 movies were heavily dependant on plot lines that involved the kids & husband & had nothing to do with the main mystery. Maybe they're taking this as a sign it's a good time to stop.

Sarah Strange posted on her instagram that GSM has been canceled. I like the movies but I’m not going to be upset that there not making any new ones because they had begun to feel stale. I’m starting to think that Murder She Baked had the right formula of having a shorter run and than moving the cast into a different mystery series. 

Edited by Guest
3 hours ago, GaT said:

I wonder if they just decided to stop "Garage Sale Mysteries" because they basically just ran out of ideas

There were 4 more Garage Sale Mysteries planned for the summer, one was already filmed. They got canceled because of real life events.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

There were 4 more Garage Sale Mysteries planned for the summer, one was already filmed. They got canceled because of real life events.

I meant if they were just using real life events as an excuse, if they can keep WGTH going, it's not logical that they can't keep the movies going.

• Love 1

They ran several of the Jane Doe movies today on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.  I hadn't seen them before.  They were very enjoyable and reasonably well constructed mysteries.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, GaT said:

I meant if they were just using real life events as an excuse, if they can keep WGTH going, it's not logical that they can't keep the movies going.

I've not watched WCTH but understand it's much more of an ensemble cast.  While Garage Sale Mysteries has a number of parts, Lori was THE lead - her character solved the mysteries.  While some mystery fans (including myself) would be fine with recasting the role of Jennifer Shannon (as was done early on with Logan, Hannah and Jason), there must be extenuating circumstances.  Perhaps HMM did not want to gamble on fans accepting a new actor?  Or maybe they just wanted to rid themselves completely of something so closely associated with Lori, since they're doing everything they can to erase her from the brand?  Also, I think someone upthread mentioned that Lori was a producer or executive producer on the movies, so it might have been too difficult to disentangle her from the process.

I mean, I know the answer to this, but When Calls the Heart is set in 1910? Did they do ANY research?

when-calls-the-heart-not-cancelled-15526

I known Hallmark loves its loose, flowing hair, but seriously? As much as we made fun of Little House on the Prairie for its inaccuracies they at least recognized that adult women wore their hair up and not in soft, loosely styled curls. I know I shouldn't expect historical accuracy but wtf, Hallmark?

• Love 11
55 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I just looked on the XFINITY Stream app and do not even see When Calls The Heart even being listed on the schedule at all.

They pulled it to retool the remaining episodes  for this season (to get rid of LL). I think they were only two or three eps into the season.

They removed her from the images on the WCTH Facebook page, too.

They say it won't be cancelled. It's one of their most popular shows.  I watch it in spite of the horrible hair styles. It's a guilty pleasure and sometimes a hate watch. lol   I liked the first couple of seasons, but it had gotten away from its original premise, so I'm hoping that LL leaving will help them get it back on track.

I watched GSM, and my husband had just discovered it and liked it, but Hallmark pulled the shows he had set to record (he got Crossword mysteries instead).

It's sad what Lori has done to herself, her castmates, her children, and her career. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

They pulled it to retool the remaining episodes  for this season (to get rid of LL). I think they were only two or three eps into the season.

They removed her from the images on the WCTH Facebook page, too.

They say it won't be cancelled. It's one of their most popular shows.  I watch it in spite of the horrible hair styles. It's a guilty pleasure and sometimes a hate watch. lol   I liked the first couple of seasons, but it had gotten away from its original premise, so I'm hoping that LL leaving will help them get it back on track.

I watched GSM, and my husband had just discovered it and liked it, but Hallmark pulled the shows he had set to record (he got Crossword mysteries instead).

It's sad what Lori has done to herself, her castmates, her children, and her career. 

I agree. It's really such a shame to see all of this even happening.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I mean, I know the answer to this, but When Calls the Heart is set in 1910? Did they do ANY research?

I known Hallmark loves its loose, flowing hair, but seriously? As much as we made fun of Little House on the Prairie for its inaccuracies they at least recognized that adult women wore their hair up and not in soft, loosely styled curls. I know I shouldn't expect historical accuracy but wtf, Hallmark?

I only saw a few minutes of it recently, and I was very distracted by the heavy makeup the actresses were wearing. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, dalek said:

They ran several of the Jane Doe movies today on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.  I hadn't seen them before.  They were very enjoyable and reasonably well constructed mysteries.

CRAP. I missed them again. I've never seen them & can't seem to catch them when they're on.

13 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

If you showed me this picture and asked me what year it was set in I'd have no clue. Other than the red coat looking slightly vintage it looks like it could be 2019. 

• Love 6