Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Dani said:

I wonder how this is going to impact When Calls the Heart. 

To make the situation even worse last year Lori’s daughter put up a YouTube video saying:

“I don’t know how much of school I’m gonna attend but I’m gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all,” she said. “But I do want the experience of like game days, partying…I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”

The level of entitlement displayed is astounding. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com/tv/lori-loughlin-daughter-olivia-jade-apologized-school/amp/

ETA: According to TMZ there are recordings with Loughlin talking about the scheme.

I don't watch When Calls the Heart but wondered the same thing.  Maybe it depends on how big of a role she has on that show and how long the season is?  If the show's renewed, I'd think a scandal like this would result in her character being drop kicked into the memory hole, never to be mentioned on screen again.

Her daughter's entitlement is really something.  It should be interesting to see how all the universities now deal with these kids/young adults and whether any of them will face federal charges.  Apparently some of them knew what was going on and some didn't. 

4 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

That is such a shame -- she sure had a good gig at Hallmark.  I don't watch When Calls the Heart or Fuller House but I enjoy the Garage Sales Mysteries. 

I did, too.  The entire cast worked so well together and the mysteries themselves were always pretty good.

3 hours ago, mikeb said:

I feel bad for some of her co-stars who may end up losing a steady gig.  For example, Sarah Strange who plays Dani and whose IMDB page shows very few other projects last few years.

Agreed.  Hopefully HMM will be cast them in other projects.  I especially like Sarah Strange and think she could easily lead another series.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:
4 hours ago, mikeb said:

I feel bad for some of her co-stars who may end up losing a steady gig.  For example, Sarah Strange who plays Dani and whose IMDB page shows very few other projects last few years.

Agreed.  Hopefully HMM will be cast them in other projects.  I especially like Sarah Strange and think she could easily lead another series.

Totally agree -- Sarah Strange is a gem in her role as Dani.  This just sucks for the supporting cast. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, mikeb said:

I think this would be a major blow to HMM.  They aired 18 new mystery movies in 2018 and the 4 Garage Sale Mysteries movies were all in the top 6.

Although it does look Crossword Mysteries was a bit hit this weekend - it had more viewers than any of the 2018 or 2019 mystery movies.

Aren't Lori and Lacy (with Candace) kind of known for their Hallmark appeal? 

And that's why I would be surprised if Hallmark didn't wait things out.  Yeah, they have a 'brand' but I am never surprised when an entity embracing family-friendly/wholesome values shows a bit of hypocrisy when push comes to shove. 

What is the Facebook page's reaction?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

And that's why I would be surprised if Hallmark didn't wait things out.  Yeah, they have a 'brand' but I am never surprised when an entity embracing family-friendly/wholesome values shows a bit of hypocrisy when push comes to shove. 

What is the Facebook page's reaction?

I’ve checked their facebook a few times today and there is a lot of outrage and threats to stop watching with a small number saying she’s innocent until proven guilty. Nothing about the scandal is staying up for long before Hallmark deletes it which is pissing people off even more.

I think if Hallmark could wait it out they would but the fact that When Calls the Heart is currently airing is probably going to force their hand. If she had nothing planned until Christmas I would be expecting a different outcome. 

ETA: I don’t see this one blowing over too quickly. Lori’s daughter’s social media is being pored over for every instance of entitlement (and there are a lot) and is fueling the fire. The criminal charges are probably less hurtful than the damage being done to her wholesome image. 

Edited by Guest
24 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I would think at some point somebody is going to go for the "a mother's love" excuse, they were misguided, but they only did it for the children. It sounds like a Hallmark (or Lifetime) movie, so they may slide with their careers intact.

• Love 2

I checked in on #Hearties on Twitter and there seems to be a mix of prayer/forgiveness and "See ya, Abigail", with most concern going to the cast/crew and hoping the show continues.  One thing I did see pointed out that I hadn't realized is that if she's convicted, she won't be getting back in Canada anytime soon, so wondering about seeing her on more Hallmark productions becomes a moot point.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, GaT said:

I would think at some point somebody is going to go for the "a mother's love" excuse, they were misguided, but they only did it for the children. It sounds like a Hallmark (or Lifetime) movie, so they may slide with their careers intact.

Lifetime would probably be thrilled to get one of the Hallmark Christmas queens. Netflix is also making a push for that market and they already have a relationship from Fuller House. 

1 hour ago, GaT said:

I think that's what actually will end up getting her fired.  A lot of people who watch Hallmark are women, many middle-aged women with college-aged children, or soon to be.  And they know how much they had to go through to get their kids into college, filing out financial aid, the whole ball of wax.  I think they will resent Lori for cheating her daughters' way into the schools of their choice.  Some of those mothers will also know how devastated their own kids were if they didn't get into their top school of choice, and knowing it could be because of the privileged Lori's of the world taking a spot away from their kids...well, I don't think these moms will give her mercy.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Any word on if Lori ended up getting bail or not?

All I've seen is that she's turning herself in tomorrow morning.  I would bet she gets a bond, a high one, given that her husband was bonded out for a million (he put up their house) and Felicity Huffman was bonded out for $250,000.  Of course, now that the husband has used the house for his bond, the question will be do they have to cover her, if her's is a million too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, LegalParrot81 said:

All I've seen is that she's turning herself in tomorrow morning.  I would bet she gets a bond, a high one, given that her husband was bonded out for a million (he put up their house) and Felicity Huffman was bonded out for $250,000.  Of course, now that the husband has used the house for his bond, the question will be do they have to cover her, if her's is a million too.

A MILLION????? Seriously? R Kelly's bail was a million, I really don't see these two crimes as being in the same category. 

• Love 1

Finally caught the movie with Kavan and Autumn and liked their easy chemistry. They were flirty and fun and not mean to each other, and the small hiccup was fixed pretty easily with an apology. I don’t know why they made the boss so mean when she didn’t have to be, and the teen daughter annoyed me at times with her vegan/nonvegan stuff and not eating the yummy breakfasts her dad would make. 

• Love 3

For those wondering if Lori Loughlin's next  Garage Sale Mystery movies have been filmed.... Out of the 4 that are/were supposed to premiere in August, only one of them has been filmed and wrapped up.

However, the second of the 4 GSM movies was halfway done with production -- Lori was in Canada today, filming this second of four movies, which is why she was not at home when they went to arrest her.   So, now it is unclear as to whether Hallmark had to halt production completely, or if they somehow decided to carry on with the filming without the leading lady -- which would be weird.

And although the second movie was only half-finished shooting, what will Hallmark do with the one GSM movie that was already filmed?  Will they bank it and save it for some day in the distant future, or will they air it in August anyway?

The way the mysteries are supposed to break down this year is this:

April -- 3 Morning Show Mysteries

May -- 3 Hailey Dean Mysteries

June -- 1 new Picture Perfect Mystery (w/ Carlos and Alexa PenaVega)

July -- No mysteries scheduled

August -- 4 Garage Sale Mysteries

September -- 3 or 4 Aurora Teagarden Mysteries

October -- 3 Crossword Mysteries

So, let's assume that Hallmark decides to not air any GSM movies in August.  That means that between June, July and August they would only be premiering ONE new mystery, which is the Alexa-Carlos movie.

That is not going to fly with the viewers who prefer the mysteries over the movies on the main Hallmark Channel.  They will lose so much momentum if they go for all of that time without a new mystery.  They could possibly move Aurora Teagarden to August and Crossword Mysteries to September.  Or... they could rush something else into production that wasn't planned for this year...

....Such as another Mystery 101 movie w/ Jill Wagner and Kristoffer Polaha.  Both Jill and Kris have said that another one is going to film, and Jill said it would be soon (yay!), so it is possible that Hallmark could speed that up to get it on the air for the purpose of filling a gap.

Taylor Cole has also said that there are more Ruby Herring Mysteries coming -- so that could be another one that Hallmark speeds up to fill a gap in the schedule instead of waiting until next year to shoot it.

And Alison Sweeney said that there are more Chronicle Mysteries coming up.  So they could possibly get another one done this year instead of next.

Kimberly Williams-Paisley said that they are trying to get a 4th Darrow & Darrow movie together, so that is one more possibility.

I don't think that Danica McKellar's upcoming Matchmaker Mysteries is anywhere close to going into production, but I suppose that's one extra option as a schedule gap-filler.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
47 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

However, the second of the 4 GSM movies was halfway done with production -- Lori was in Canada today, filming this second of four movies, which is why she was not at home when they went to arrest her.   So, now it is unclear as to whether Hallmark had to halt production completely, or if they somehow decided to carry on with the filming without the leading lady -- which would be weird.

One of the articles mentioned that the judge is going to let her continue to travel back to Canada for work. So hopefully they can come up with a plan that works.

55 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

Such as another Mystery 101 movie w/ Jill Wagner and Kristoffer Polaha.  Both Jill and Kris have said that another one is going to film, and Jill said it would be soon (yay!), so it is possible that Hallmark could speed that up to get it on the air for the purpose of filling a gap.

That’s great news. I loved the first movie. 

12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

She's a rich white lady.  Is it jail strong?  Or make a deal strong?

Paging Martha Stewart. You have several calls holding on line one!

11 hours ago, Dani said:

If she was any other network I think she would be fine but I can’t see Hallmark keeping a leading lady after she’s been arrested. It just doesn’t fit their brand. 

Oh, many other networks or production companies fire people for DUI, drugs, sexual harassment, etc. due to Morals Clauses. This is way up there (felonies), so I think other networks would oust her, too. It's the current leading news story. BIG scandal. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I personally think she's toast.

Pity it couldn't be CCB since she's a deal-breaker for me in any of the Hallmark movies (or anything else she's in). Oh, well. Hallmark doesn't care about my opinions since I'm definitely not part of their base.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, twoods said:

Finally caught the movie with Kavan and Autumn and liked their easy chemistry. They were flirty and fun and not mean to each other, and the small hiccup was fixed pretty easily with an apology. I don’t know why they made the boss so mean when she didn’t have to be, and the teen daughter annoyed me at times with her vegan/nonvegan stuff and not eating the yummy breakfasts her dad would make. 

I read an interview with Kavan where he said that he had written the first draft of the script but it ended up being rewritten by a more experienced Hallmark writer when Hallmark decided to rush it into production late last year (it was originally scheduled to be a summer movie).  He said he originally had written the boss as even more of a Cruella de Vil character but she was toned down in the rewrite.  He had Brooke Shields in mind to play her, but she was not available so Hallmark ended up casting Barbara Niven.

• Love 2

It sounds like he intended the role to be more humorous, although it did not turn out that way.  Here is his exact quote:

"While I had initially written the part with Brooke Shields in mind and sort of a Cruella De Vil kind of role, Hallmark had to pull back a little on how “Cruella” I had written the role. I had her a little too menacing. {laughs} I know that Brooke does humor really well, but she was not available, and Barbara is a network favorite, and she was great. She’s such a nice lady. She’s so kind and considerate. She showed up on the first day and hugged everybody on set. She’s also very close with the executives. But she never acts like it. She’s just an actress doing her gig."

Here is link to entire interview

http://mydevotionalthoughts.net/2019/02/interview-with-actor-kavan-smith-love-on-the-menu-when-calls-the-heart.html

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, illini1959 said:

Has anyone seen the Aurora Teagarden Mysteries? I've just seen 2, never heard of them before so I'm trying to watch them in order.

Just wondered if anyone had thoughts on these....

As long as you like Candice Cameron Bure (she has her detractors), then I think they are enjoyable.  They are not too challenging or realistic, but I think are more entertaining that most of the other HMM mysteries.  I think they benefit from strong supporting cast, especially Lexa Doig as Sally and Marilu Henner as Aida.

• Love 5

Here's an article that discusses a lot of what has already been discussed here regarding Lori Loughlin and Hallmark.

https://jezebel.com/lori-loughlin-is-the-hallmark-channels-best-loved-actor-1833264262

As far as Emma Fielding movies, I have not heard anything either way.  For Fixer Upper mysteries, someone upstream on this thread has said that Colin Ferguson has confirmed there are no plans for more movies.   Maybe he will end up in a new series, like Alison Sweeney going from Murder, She Baked to Chronicle Mysteries and Brennan Elliott from Flower Shop Mystery to Crossword Mysteries.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, mikeb said:

As long as you like Candice Cameron Bure (she has her detractors), then I think they are enjoyable.  They are not too challenging or realistic, but I think are more entertaining that most of the other HMM mysteries.  I think they benefit from strong supporting cast, especially Lexa Doig as Sally and Marilu Henner as Aida.

Thank you! I like her, but you're right. They aren't too challenging or realistic.

I wondered how they ran, I don't see any continuity - or are they just made to be each their own little story? For example, the first one I saw was A Bone to Pick, she inherits a house and starts to date the minister. I know that's not the first in the series - but the second one I saw was next in line - Three Bedrooms, One Corpse. 

She's back at her condo and no mention of the minister. Did she sell the house? Did things not go well with the guy? Did they address all of this and I missed it? 😉 

The other, kind of odd thing, is I've seen the location of the fictional town listed as being in BC Canada and also in Georgia. Which is it? I don't think it rains that much in GA....They probably film in BC but not being familiar with the books I didn't know where she's supposed to live.

Anyway - just wondering. We watched the new one with Jill Wagner and like it much better.

Thanks, again!

36 minutes ago, illini1959 said:

Thank you! I like her, but you're right. They aren't too challenging or realistic.

I wondered how they ran, I don't see any continuity - or are they just made to be each their own little story? For example, the first one I saw was A Bone to Pick, she inherits a house and starts to date the minister. I know that's not the first in the series - but the second one I saw was next in line - Three Bedrooms, One Corpse. 

She's back at her condo and no mention of the minister. Did she sell the house? Did things not go well with the guy? Did they address all of this and I missed it? 😉 

The other, kind of odd thing, is I've seen the location of the fictional town listed as being in BC Canada and also in Georgia. Which is it? I don't think it rains that much in GA....They probably film in BC but not being familiar with the books I didn't know where she's supposed to live.

Anyway - just wondering. We watched the new one with Jill Wagner and like it much better.

Thanks, again!

I think the order they originally aired was Bone To Pick followed by Real Murders followed by Three Bedrooms, One Corpse.  In Real Murders, they explained away the minister as they didn't have enough in common and also mentioned she sold the house she inherited in Bone To Pick.  She currently is up to at least 3 different houses - it might be due to them not being available each time they film new one.  I had gotten the impression that in the movies the location was suppose to be Washington state (even though filmed in BC Canada) and in the books the location is Georgia.

Edited by mikeb
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Dani said:

One of the articles mentioned that the judge is going to let her continue to travel back to Canada for work. So hopefully they can come up with a plan that works.

I’m quoting myself because I just read a more complete description and the article I read was not accurate.  The judge in her husband’s case said that she may be able to travel for work but that it would be a different judge making the decision. There is a hearing today at 2 where that decision should be made. 

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, mikeb said:

Brennan Elliott from Flower Shop Mystery to Crossword Mysteries.

Hmm, he needs to up his choice of projects, he went from one not so interesting mystery series to another not so interesting series.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, GaT said:

Hmm, he needs to up his choice of projects, he went from one not so interesting mystery series to another not so interesting series.

If social media is to be believed, he and Lacey Chabert are friends in real life, so that might have affected his decision to sign on to Crossword Mysteries.

6 hours ago, illini1959 said:

Has anyone seen the Aurora Teagarden Mysteries? I've just seen 2, never heard of them before so I'm trying to watch them in order.

Just wondered if anyone had thoughts on these....

The Aurora Teagaredn wiki page has all of the movies listed in order if you need a reference to go back to. After looking at that page I realized the last movie in that series I watched was from Jan. of 2018. I'm not really a fan of Candace but I like the stories and supporting cast most of the time. I'm also a bit of a TV/Movie mystery junkie.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mikeb said:

Here's an article that discusses a lot of what has already been discussed here regarding Lori Loughlin and Hallmark.

https://jezebel.com/lori-loughlin-is-the-hallmark-channels-best-loved-actor-1833264262

As far as Emma Fielding movies, I have not heard anything either way.  For Fixer Upper mysteries, someone upstream on this thread has said that Colin Ferguson has confirmed there are no plans for more movies.   Maybe he will end up in a new series, like Alison Sweeney going from Murder, She Baked to Chronicle Mysteries and Brennan Elliott from Flower Shop Mystery to Crossword Mysteries.

That was an interesting article.  I had no idea When Calls the Heart had such a following or had been on for so long, or that Lori was the marquee face for the network.  Except for the cat/kitten and dog/puppy programs, I don't ever watch the regular Hallmark Channel.  Crossword Mysteries was the first time I'd watched anything with Lacey Chabert, though from this thread it's clear she's another person Hallmark has invested in for their movies.

That's too bad about the Fixer Upper movies.  Hopefully HMM finds another series for Colin. 

• Love 1

Lori was released on a $1 million bond. She was able to keep her passport until December so she can travel to Canada to film. Apparently the judge was reluctant to let her travel so she needs approval each time she goes. She has to be back in court in a couple of weeks.

It will be interesting to see how Hallmark handles the Garage Sale movies that are currently filming. 

Edited by Guest
7 hours ago, Jaded said:

If Lori gets booted from Hallmark I wouldn't mind seeing Sarah Strange get a mystery series of her own.  

I hope so; I found her more interesting than Lori, and she rocked the vintage style they dressed her in.

• Love 7
On 3/12/2019 at 7:06 PM, MerBearHou said:

Totally agree -- Sarah Strange is a gem in her role as Dani.  This just sucks for the supporting cast. 

I wish they'd give her a series or at least try her as the lead. 

I love Garage Sale Mysteries.  This whole thing is crazy. I can't look at Lori the same after hearing about this and the daughter wow. Lori and her husband raised an entitled brat. 

I really enjoyed Allison Sweeney new movies about the podcast.  I have the crossword mystery on dvr I'm glad people enjoyed it.im looking forward to watching it. 

• Love 5
18 hours ago, mikeb said:

I think the order they originally aired was Bone To Pick followed by Real Murders followed by Three Bedrooms, One Corpse.  In Real Murders, they explained away the minister as they didn't have enough in common and also mentioned she sold the house she inherited in Bone To Pick.  She currently is up to at least 3 different houses - it might be due to them not being available each time they film new one.  I had gotten the impression that in the movies the location was suppose to be Washington state (even though filmed in BC Canada) and in the books the location is Georgia.

Ohhhhhhhk. I missed Real Murders. I'll check that out.

Thank you!

3 more Aurora Teagarden movies are coming this year.. so I'm excited.  If CCB ends up tied in some type of scandal like Aunt Becky.. I'd lose faith in humanity LOL

I do agree about Sarah S in the garage sale mystery movies... perhaps they could do one of them with just Sarah S as the lead to see if it will work.  If it does, maybe than do a spin-off featuring her as the lead.

And I wonder if Hallmark Channel will be releasing a 'mutual parting of ways'..... I smell a Lifetime tv movie future for Lori L down the line (heck, they'll probably  make a movie about this scandal by Christmas).

My girlfriend enjoys the Hallmark Mystery Movies, and I admit, I have learned to enjoy them.  They are very predictable, but an enjoyable to spend a few hours, nevertheless.  However, my irritation with the Aurora Teagarden series is that CCB is a mature woman (40+ yo) with an adult daughter IRL.  Yet Aurora's mother, played by wonderful Marilu Henner, nags at her and fusses over her choices and love life as if she hadn't yet graduated high school. 

• Love 4
On 3/13/2019 at 1:48 PM, Jaded said:

If Lori gets booted from Hallmark I wouldn't mind seeing Sarah Strange get a mystery series of her own. 

They could just make her the lead in Garage Sale Mysteries after booting Lori off because "she moved" to take over a store in a different city or something.  Poof, gone, and Sarah can totally handle the role.  I always liked her better than Lori on the show.

• Love 7

Not sure if I can bring this up here but I wonder what's going to happen to Lori Loughlin's career with Hallmark after the college admissions scandal.  She has several Garage Sale Mystery movies in production right now, not to mention When Calls the Heart.

• Love 2

Hallmark just fired Loughlin 

“We are saddened by the recent allegations surrounding the college admissions process,” Hallmark Cards Inc., parent company of the Crown Media Family Networks umbrella group that includes the Hallmark Channel, said in a statement.

“We are no longer working with Lori Loughlin” and have stopped development of all productions with the actress for Crown Media channels, the statement said.

I wonder what is going to replace her mysteries. 

Just now, Dani said:

“We are saddened by the recent allegations surrounding the college admissions process,” Hallmark Cards Inc., parent company of the Crown Media Family Networks umbrella group that includes the Hallmark Channel, said in a statement.

“We are no longer working with Lori Loughlin” and have stopped development of all productions with the actress for Crown Media channels, the statement said.

That's a shame, but you just knew that it would be coming.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

That's a shame, but you just knew that it would be coming.

Yep. I thought all along they would make a decision before the next WCTH airs. 

Hallmark is known for putting out movies quickly so I doubt that film crew in Canada is going to go to waste. I just hope the find roles for the supporting actors. 

Just now, Dani said:

Yep. I thought all along they would make a decision before the next WCTH airs. 

Hallmark is known for putting out movies quickly so I doubt that film crew in Canada is going to go to waste. I just hope the find roles for the supporting actors. 

I wonder if WCTH will end up being canceled because of this.

8 minutes ago, Dani said:

I knew they would, especially after reading the FBI affidavit detailing Lori's involvement (and the family's panic when a high school counselor starting asking questions).

Hopefully HMM will do what many of us have suggested and replace her with Sarah Strange - whether that's giving her character Dani a fresh start or starting a whole new series doesn't matter to me.  I feel bad bad for the actors who played Lori's family in the series and hope they'll be able to find other steady work.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

I knew they would, especially after reading the FBI affidavit detailing Lori's involvement (and the family's panic when a high school counselor starting asking questions).

Hopefully HMM will do what many of us have suggested and replace her with Sarah Strange - whether that's giving her character Dani a fresh start or starting a whole new series doesn't matter to me.  I feel bad bad for the actors who played Lori's family in the series and hope they'll be able to find other steady work.

I wonder if they'll pull the Garage Sale Mysteries from their rotation.

• Love 3

I guess I was wrong (but I still wouldn't be shocked if she had a comeback here).

They could always make her character's murder the mystery of the next movie and continue with her family and Dani.

• Love 7