Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just now, Irlandesa said:

I guess I was wrong (but I still wouldn't be shocked if she had a comeback here).

They could always make her character's murder the mystery of the next movie and continue with her family and Dani.

That's a good point. The Garage Sale Mystery movies don't air until August and if they were presumably filming those now that's not too much of a time-gap. Hallmark could always wait and see if the uproar dies down - this, of course, all presumes Lori won't be going to jail. 

If Hallmark isn't going to air the 4 GSM movies, will they spread out the other mysteries to try and cover, or just have no new programming in that month? Please don't say they will start the Countdown to Christmas even earlier! (And that is another thing. Her Christmas movies did relatively well, also, didn't they?)

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

That's a good point. The Garage Sale Mystery movies don't air until August and if they were presumably filming those now that's not too much of a time-gap. Hallmark could always wait and see if the uproar dies down - this, of course, all presumes Lori won't be going to jail. 

If Hallmark isn't going to air the 4 GSM movies, will they spread out the other mysteries to try and cover, or just have no new programming in that month? Please don't say they will start the Countdown to Christmas even earlier! (And that is another thing. Her Christmas movies did relatively well, also, didn't they?)

I'm pretty sure the 4 movies what were going to air aren't all filmed. I thought I read in this thread previously that they were in the middle of filming the first one or maybe the 2nd.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I guess I was wrong (but I still wouldn't be shocked if she had a comeback here).

They could always make her character's murder the mystery of the next movie and continue with her family and Dani.

I thought Hallmark was going to stick by her since she specifically got her bail request to include a condition that she was allowed to travel to British Columbia for shooting. So I thought Hallmark had already told her they were sticking with her til a verdict came down. Guess not.

In terms of continuing the series. The way HMM has their series set up, usually one of the stars of the show, seemingly why they never go with unknowns, is a major producer of the movie or series. Not the in name only kind of producer, but one with considerable influence on the production and Lori runs the show on hers. So, I'm thinking this is it for Garage Sale Mystery unless and until things blow over and she's welcomed back by them because any continuation of the series likely still means working with her.

26 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I'm pretty sure the 4 movies what were going to air aren't all filmed. I thought I read in this thread previously that they were in the middle of filming the first one or maybe the 2nd.

This is correct. The first of the four movies had completed filming. She was in British Columbia shooting the second movie when she was indicted. Given the production days I saw listed for the current movie's shooting schedule, I'd say it's unlikely it was close to being finished as it had over a week left of filming on a 3-week shooting schedule when the story broke.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I just don't think that Lori will even be allowed back on Hallmark.

I agree. Hallmark isn’t hurting for actresses to replace her. 

I’ve actually been thinking that they have been trying to shift the focus to new actresses for awhile now. Jill Wagner, Jen Lilley, Alexa PenaVega and Taylor Cole seem to be the new faces of Hallmark. 

Edited by Guest
3 minutes ago, Dani said:

I agree. Hallmark isn’t hurting for actresses to replace her. 

I’ve actually been thinking that we’re already trying to shift the focus to new actresses. Jill Wagner, Jen Lilley, Alexa PenaVega and Taylor Cole seem to be the new faces of Hallmark. 

And there's also Holly Robinson Peete, Lacey Chabert, and Danica McKellar.

Edited by MikaelaArsenault
  • Love 2
On 3/13/2019 at 2:00 AM, TVFan17 said:

For those wondering if Lori Loughlin's next  Garage Sale Mystery movies have been filmed.... Out of the 4 that are/were supposed to premiere in August, only one of them has been filmed and wrapped up.

However, the second of the 4 GSM movies was halfway done with production -- Lori was in Canada today, filming this second of four movies, which is why she was not at home when they went to arrest her.   So, now it is unclear as to whether Hallmark had to halt production completely, or if they somehow decided to carry on with the filming without the leading lady -- which would be weird.

And although the second movie was only half-finished shooting, what will Hallmark do with the one GSM movie that was already filmed?  Will they bank it and save it for some day in the distant future, or will they air it in August anyway?

The way the mysteries are supposed to break down this year is this:

April -- 3 Morning Show Mysteries

May -- 3 Hailey Dean Mysteries

June -- 1 new Picture Perfect Mystery (w/ Carlos and Alexa PenaVega)

July -- No mysteries scheduled

August -- 4 Garage Sale Mysteries

September -- 3 or 4 Aurora Teagarden Mysteries

October -- 3 Crossword Mysteries

So, let's assume that Hallmark decides to not air any GSM movies in August.  That means that between June, July and August they would only be premiering ONE new mystery, which is the Alexa-Carlos movie.

That is not going to fly with the viewers who prefer the mysteries over the movies on the main Hallmark Channel.  They will lose so much momentum if they go for all of that time without a new mystery.  They could possibly move Aurora Teagarden to August and Crossword Mysteries to September.  Or... they could rush something else into production that wasn't planned for this year...

....Such as another Mystery 101 movie w/ Jill Wagner and Kristoffer Polaha.  Both Jill and Kris have said that another one is going to film, and Jill said it would be soon (yay!), so it is possible that Hallmark could speed that up to get it on the air for the purpose of filling a gap.

Taylor Cole has also said that there are more Ruby Herring Mysteries coming -- so that could be another one that Hallmark speeds up to fill a gap in the schedule instead of waiting until next year to shoot it.

And Alison Sweeney said that there are more Chronicle Mysteries coming up.  So they could possibly get another one done this year instead of next.

Kimberly Williams-Paisley said that they are trying to get a 4th Darrow & Darrow movie together, so that is one more possibility.

I don't think that Danica McKellar's upcoming Matchmaker Mysteries is anywhere close to going into production, but I suppose that's one extra option as a schedule gap-filler.

I agree that short-term, they will likely try to rush new Mystery 101 and Ruby Herring movies into production to fill gaps in schedule later this year since they are probably close to being ready.  Long-term, they will probably start a new series with one of their 'name' actresses.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Hallmark also said all of Loughlin's completed work will be removed.

Yeah. I just saw the Hollywood Reporter update that Hallmark is pulling WCTH. That actually does surprise me. I thought they would at least finish out the season. Hallmark is even more controversy averse than I thought. 

Now I’m crossing my fingers that this means more Mystery 101 this year. 

1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Oh hell no! The way they treat some of their hosts on the daytime talk show is the reason I quit watching that all together. I think Lori should be out of a job and face consequences for her actions as much as I enjoyed the Garage Sale series but Hallmark doesn’t mess around so she’s gone for good. I hope Garage Sale can continue on in some capacity without her.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Dani said:

Yeah. I just saw the Hollywood Reporter update that Hallmark is pulling WCTH. That actually does surprise me. I thought they would at least finish out the season. Hallmark is even more controversy averse than I thought. 

Now I’m crossing my fingers that this means more Mystery 101 this year. 

They really could've at least finished the season, you're right.

Got a link though?

2 minutes ago, Mountainair said:

Oh hell no! The way they treat some of their hosts on the daytime talk show is the reason I quit watching that all together. I think Lori should be out of a job and face consequences for her actions as much as I enjoyed the Garage Sale series but Hallmark doesn’t mess around so she’s gone for good. I hope Garage Sale can continue on in some capacity without her.

She might as well just leave the entertainment industry altogether.

1 minute ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Got a link though?

Here's one:  https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/when-calls-the-heart-garage-sale-mysteries-hallmark-cuts-ties-with-lori-loughlin/

A Hallmark spokesperson tells us that When Calls the Heart has been pulled from the March 17th schedule. Will future episodes air? “We are evaluating all creative options related to When Calls the Heart series.”

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Got a link though?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/lori-loughlin-loses-hallmark-channel-roles-college-scam-arrest-1194858

Update at the very end. It doesn’t say much so it might be temporary. 

ETA: A Hallmark spokesperson tells us that When Calls the Heart has been pulled from the March 17th schedule. Will future episodes air? “We are evaluating all creative options related to When Calls the Heart series.”

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/when-calls-the-heart-garage-sale-mysteries-hallmark-cuts-ties-with-lori-loughlin/

Edited by Guest
45 minutes ago, mikeb said:

Here's one:  https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/when-calls-the-heart-garage-sale-mysteries-hallmark-cuts-ties-with-lori-loughlin/

A Hallmark spokesperson tells us that When Calls the Heart has been pulled from the March 17th schedule. Will future episodes air? “We are evaluating all creative options related to When Calls the Heart series.”

44 minutes ago, Dani said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/lori-loughlin-loses-hallmark-channel-roles-college-scam-arrest-1194858

Update at the very end. It doesn’t say much so it might be temporary. 

ETA: A Hallmark spokesperson tells us that When Calls the Heart has been pulled from the March 17th schedule. Will future episodes air? “We are evaluating all creative options related to When Calls the Heart series.”

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/when-calls-the-heart-garage-sale-mysteries-hallmark-cuts-ties-with-lori-loughlin/

Thank you.

2 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I wonder if they'll pull the Garage Sale Mysteries from their rotation.

Probably.  I thought from the beginning that she'd get the memory hole treatment. 

2 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Please don't say they will start the Countdown to Christmas even earlier!

Oh I hope not.  I don't care what they run on the regular Hallmark Channel, but it's aggravating that HMM goes 24/7 Christmas for nearly three months a year.

Me either.  As someone else said upthread, there are too many other people who can take her place. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Probably.  I thought from the beginning that she'd get the memory hole treatment. 

Oh I hope not.  I don't care what they run on the regular Hallmark Channel, but it's aggravating that HMM goes 24/7 Christmas for nearly three months a year.

Me either.  As someone else said upthread, there are too many other people who can take her place. 

They already pulled all of her stuff.

• Love 1

It is interesting that in announcing they are stopping development of all her productions that air on their networks "including Garage Sale Mysteries, an independent third-party production",  they felt it was necessary to mention Garage Sale Mysteries is not their own production.  I wonder if they are going to try claim they are not responsible for paying any of the other actors or crew for cancelled movies.

• Love 5
On 3/13/2019 at 6:58 AM, illini1959 said:

Has anyone seen the Aurora Teagarden Mysteries? I've just seen 2, never heard of them before so I'm trying to watch them in order.

Just wondered if anyone had thoughts on these....

I thought Aurora was kind of annoying in the first 3 but I’ve enjoyed the subsequent ones. 

I’m not surprised to hear about LL but I hope the cast and crew can rebound. And I better rewatch what I have recorded of GSM because my DvR only keep them for 30’days. 

Edited by TimetoShine

Damn, Hallmark has already removed her from the WCTH photo. Deadline is reporting that they are trying to rework the existing episodes to remove LL.

EE541964-AD01-4442-9BC2-D981AC168E56.jpeg

They already pulled all of her stuff.

Considering that re-runs of the Cosby Show and Roseanne are already back on the air, I wouldn't count on a permanent ban on her old stuff just yet. And even though I'm pretty disgusted by the charges against her, there's no reason to punish the fans and workers of WCTH by pulling the show mid-season. Slightly off topic, but this is the reason I wish recasting was more common in TV (just like on the old daytime soaps). There have been too many shows over the years derailed by behind-the-scenes disputes and scandals, and in many cases I'd much prefer an actor switch, than a show cancellation.

I'm pretty sad about the end of Garage Sale Mysteries. It was one of my favorite series, and I fully support a new franchise starring Sarah Strange. There are plenty of cozy mystery series out there, no need to re-tool GSM with a new lead. And I know I'm in the minority here, but I really like the actor who plays LL's husband, and would love to see him in more Hallmark movies. His character is a total drip, but I like the actor. As far as filling the hole in the schedule, I would like a few more Emma Fielding movies. I know they're not the most popular, but I love history-based mysteries, and would love to see more of them.

I doubt it would ever happen, but I would love for them to make some cross-over mysteries. A mystery surrounding a collection of old books would have been the perfect Aurora Teagarden/Garage Sale cross-over, but since that's not happening, they could have Jill Wagner's literature professor character be a guest speaker at Aurora's Real Murders club, and then the two solve a mystery together. So many possibilities!

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Happywatcher said:

I was chuckling a little before, even though this likely means Lori's movies are over and I enjoyed them.

I just found out Lori's daughter, the youtube star Olive, was on the yacht of the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the University when this broke. That is not anywhere near okay. It is completely wrong. 

Lori's daughter apparently went to high school with the guy's daughter and they've been friends for years.  He is also a billionaire.  It makes me wonder just how awful her grades must've been if her friend's dad, the billionaire Chairman of the Board of Trustees, wasn't able to help her get a spot.

12 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I've never watched When Calls The Heart, but doesn't Lori have a relatively significant role?

Yes, she does.  She is essentially the female co-lead and her character is sort of the stalwart linchpin of the town and all the other characters come into her orbit regularly.  I'm not surprised they're going to try to salvage WCTH, it's a very popular show with a lot of faithful fans.  They're going to have to kill off her character, I suspect, since it's a show about a tiny town on the Canadian frontier.  Her character is the mayor, no less.  Over the years, Lori has given a lot of interviews where she claimed to have talked the writers into giving various storylines to her character rather than to male characters.  It seems like she had a lot of power on the show.  After all, I doubt many towns on the Canadian frontier had a female mayor in 1910.

• Love 2

I also really like the Emma Fielding mysteries.  It took a little while for Courtney Thorne-Smith to grow on me, but she did and the chemistry between her and James Tupper is easy-going and believable.  The two students are also cute and the four of them work well together.   Also, archaeology is my second love so it's nice to see that discipline on tv (even if it's not all that realistic in its depiction).

It's not at all surprising Hallmark is trying to scrub Lori from that other series.  Isn't that what Empire did with Jussie Smollett?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Dani said:

Damn, Hallmark has already removed her from the WCTH photo. Deadline is reporting that they are trying to rework the existing episodes to remove LL.

EE541964-AD01-4442-9BC2-D981AC168E56.jpeg

Where's Paul Greene? He's the only reason I occasionally tune in to WCTH these days. I sat at the same table as Lori and her husband at a Women in Hollywood luncheon years ago and she was lovely---very friendly and down-to-earth. Looks like her daughters are withdrawing from USC:

https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/14/lori-loughlin-daughters-olivia-isabella-usc-bullying-college-bribery/

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 3/6/2019 at 3:10 PM, AnnaRose said:

That's interesting.  I never watch cooking competitions and I am one of the people who enjoyed it - a lot more than I expected to - and that probably had a lot to do with it.  Part of the appeal for me was because it was so different from anything I've seen before.

If Hallmark ever starts showing one of their banished movies, check out Recipe for Love which they may have gotten the idea from. The competition scene reminded me so much of the one from RfL (in looks as I haven't seen the new one). I can't stand Panabaker but I watched this back when she didn't annoy me as much and it became one of my classic faves.

On 3/11/2019 at 3:34 AM, Veronica said:

I get Brennan Elliott and Kavan Smith confused 

You and me both! It takes me a moment to think about who is who.

21 minutes ago, In2You said:

Surprised they dropped her. Not surprised to see the many people on Facebook capping for her saying she doesnt deserve this over a simple mistake.

Now there's an interesting switch. A few days ago when the scandal first broke, their FB page was filled with people calling for her removal. Now it seems to have a done a 180? Very curious indeed.

• Love 2

Another disappointed fan of Garage Sale Mysteries series here. I concur with the idea that starting a new mystery series with Sarah Strange as a lead. Judging by her IMDB list she seems like a well-known actress in Canada who can carries a series easily.  

I also hope it opens up for Darrow & Darrow to get another order. Admittedly the court scenes were too farcical but the chemistry between the main three characters was too good to be wasted. I liked that side stories around the rest of the cast were relatively intriguing. 

Not going to happen but I wish they would restart Murder, She Baked series. I think someone else playing the Hannah character with a new love-interest would work just fine. I don't know, I just loved the series. Again, probably not a chance, why not a few more The Gourmet Detective movies...

• Love 6

I can't believe I missed the crossword Mysteries. I was looking forward to trying that one out. I really don't like the male lead in that though and I haven't liked him in anything that he's been in. I don't know if they think he's attractive or they're going for the down-to-earth boy next door but more importantly I just don't think he is a great actor and he has definitely overdone it with the botox fillers or plastic surgery or something

4 hours ago, MissyPoo said:

Now there's an interesting switch. A few days ago when the scandal first broke, their FB page was filled with people calling for her removal. Now it seems to have a done a 180? Very curious indeed.

Both groups are still posting on Facebook. The only real difference is that Hallmark is now letting the posts stay up. There’s a lot of “good job, Hallmark” and “what happened to innocent until proven guilty”.

22 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I wonder if they'll pull the Garage Sale Mysteries from their rotation.

I get why they're pulling Garage Sale Mysteries and at least the next episode of When Calls the Heart, but I gather WCTH is their most popular series, so I wouldn't be surprised if they try to retool it.  Also, they're currently showing Seventh Heaven every day on Hallmark Drama and I would have thought Stephen Collins was even more toxic to their brand, given what his legal problems were about, but he hasn't been in the news much lately, so I guess they thought it was safe.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, dalek said:

I get why they're pulling Garage Sale Mysteries and at least the next episode of When Calls the Heart, but I gather WCTH is their most popular series, so I wouldn't be surprised if they try to retool it.  Also, they're currently showing Seventh Heaven every day on Hallmark Drama and I would have thought Stephen Collins was even more toxic to their brand, given what his legal problems were about, but he hasn't been in the news much lately, so I guess they thought it was safe.

Never heard of Hallmark Drama. Is it even available in the US where I am?

4 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Never heard of Hallmark Drama. Is it even available in the US where I am?

Hallmark Drama is a third channel that Hallmark started in October 2017.   As far as I aware, it only shows repeats - no original programming.  It is carried by much fewer cable companies compared to the Hallmark and HMM channels.  If you click 'Channel Locator' on the top right of their website, you can enter your zip code and see if it is available in your area.

https://www.hallmarkdrama.com/

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, mikeb said:

Hallmark Drama is a third channel that Hallmark started in October 2017.   As far as I aware, it only shows repeats - no original programming.  It is carried by much fewer cable companies compared to the Hallmark and HMM channels.  If you click 'Channel Locator' on the top right of their website, you can enter your zip code and see if it is available in your area.

Yep we had a freeview on Direct TV for it twice now and it was only showing Little House on the Prairie reruns and a few Pixl movies

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, dalek said:

They have posted a Facebook update that there are no plans to cancel WCTH. 

A few of the LL fans have been pointing out the problem with Seventh Heaven so maybe they will pull it. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if eventually Hallmark Drama is scraped and the Christmas channel replaces it. It seems to a dud. 

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, GaT said:

Garage Sale Mysteries was my favorite of all the mystery movies, this pisses me off.

Me too. I originally started watching the movies because much of the series is filmed in my mom's hometown. The diner where Jennifer and Detective Lynwood often meet is the diner where my parents met many moons ago. And I can often get glimpses of my grandmother's property. But I actually have found that I enjoy the series. I tried watching the Fixer Upper Mysteries, but do not like that series as much. 

I would feel bad for the actors who play Shannon's husband and kids if they retool the whole series. While I love Sara Strange, I don't know that I would want to see her carrying the series. I would be OK with a replacement for Lori. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 2

Wow.  Amazon has pulled Garage Sale Mysteries DVD collections.

"Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock"

Not only not available from Amazon, but also not available from other sellers.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, mikeb said:

Comcast doesn’t carry it unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Dani said:

They have posted a Facebook update that there are no plans to cancel WCTH. 

A few of the LL fans have been pointing out the problem with Seventh Heaven so maybe they will pull it. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if eventually Hallmark Drama is scraped and the Christmas channel replaces it. It seems to a dud. 

I hope they don’t pull 7th Heaven.

2 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Wow.  Amazon has pulled Garage Sale Mysteries DVD collections.

"Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock"

Not only not available from Amazon, but also not available from other sellers.

Again, not surprised by this. You just knew that Amazon would be pulling it eventually.

19 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

Considering that re-runs of the Cosby Show and Roseanne are already back on the air, I wouldn't count on a permanent ban on her old stuff just yet. And even though I'm pretty disgusted by the charges against her, there's no reason to punish the fans and workers of WCTH by pulling the show mid-season. Slightly off topic, but this is the reason I wish recasting was more common in TV (just like on the old daytime soaps). There have been too many shows over the years derailed by behind-the-scenes disputes and scandals, and in many cases I'd much prefer an actor switch, than a show cancellation.

I'm pretty sad about the end of Garage Sale Mysteries. It was one of my favorite series, and I fully support a new franchise starring Sarah Strange. There are plenty of cozy mystery series out there, no need to re-tool GSM with a new lead. And I know I'm in the minority here, but I really like the actor who plays LL's husband, and would love to see him in more Hallmark movies. His character is a total drip, but I like the actor. As far as filling the hole in the schedule, I would like a few more Emma Fielding movies. I know they're not the most popular, but I love history-based mysteries, and would love to see more of them.

I doubt it would ever happen, but I would love for them to make some cross-over mysteries. A mystery surrounding a collection of old books would have been the perfect Aurora Teagarden/Garage Sale cross-over, but since that's not happening, they could have Jill Wagner's literature professor character be a guest speaker at Aurora's Real Murders club, and then the two solve a mystery together. So many possibilities!

Love the cross over idea!  Magnum PI and Murder She wrote did that... and Pretender and Profiler in the late 90s did that as well.   I would be open to that :)

Quite frankly, this whole censorship thing that channels are doing is sad.. because I should have the choice rather I watch a program or not.. I don't need a network deciding to dictate and take away my decision if I choose to watch a show.  Odd they show 7th heaven when I would think what Stephen Collins did would be worse (if we were to rank crimes from harmless to horrid).

Edited by JAYJAY1979
  • Love 5
57 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Comcast doesn’t carry it unfortunately.

I've been looking at online streaming services that offer live TV and quite few of the ones that offer Hallmark and HMM also offer Drama too.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, mikeb said:

I agree that short-term, they will likely try to rush new Mystery 101 and Ruby Herring movies into production to fill gaps in schedule later this year since they are probably close to being ready.  Long-term, they will probably start a new series with one of their 'name' actresses.

Can I tell you what a bad idea I think it is to rush these two movies? The first in both series were clearly rushed productions from the shooting schedule and announcements to when they aired and the scripts showed that in spades. In Mystery, they didn't know what they wanted to do with Kristopher's character with his temperament being completely different from beginning to the end, and in Ruby, they had it located in Seattle and writing and directing operating like they were in the smallest of small towns to the point of being able to burst into the lab in a police station where the ME is examining a dead body unimpeded and no one bat an eye at it except the detective she is sparring with who didn't grill her on that particular point.

Both franchises need time to develop and write the next scripts if they are truly meant to take over for GSM, a series that did exactly that from first to the second movie when it was greatly revamped for the better. Find a decent director, and for Ruby, let's recast that mom and sister stat, gray up Shawn's hair a bit to age him (or better yet, axe the mom and sister and make him her young uncle), and fill in the supporting cast with more Hallmark regulars instead of the weak bench they brought in last time. There's definitely some GSM actors with suddenly clear schedules that they can call on first.