Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 4/17/2022 at 10:59 PM, Woopwoopkitty said:

To me there is a difference between snarkers and haters; love the former, loathe the latter.  I post less on this board than I used to because I choose to not add to the chorus of vitriol and negativity, so I only post brief positive messages.  It’s not that I don’t have plenty to criticize or things about the movies that I would change.  But in a way, I like them for what they are at the core - predictable, sappy, full of plot holes, and poor footwear choices included. They are feel good movies for me that surprisingly aren’t the life I lead nor the life I desire but fulfill a part of me nonetheless.

I’m for tweaking the movies but not changing what they are at the core  They are rom coms, that is the Hallmark brand.  I roll my eyes as much as anybody at the lack of pre-marital relations, but I don’t want them sexed up in the last.  I agree that it’s unrealistic that nobody swears in the movies, but I vote for keeping the language squeaky clean.  It’s been suggested that the women in these movies are out of the 1950’s.  I disagree.  The women in these movies are for the most part strong independent successful women.  Doctors, authors, aspiring marketing executives, and entrepreneurs who live in nice houses with nice clothes and nice cars.  Rarely a WALMart greeter or grocery store cashier living paycheck to paycheck. Even when the business they run is lame (e.g. a store that sells Santa hats), they are nonetheless not at home raising babies and sending the husband out the door in the morning with a brown bag a briefcase and a kiss on the cheek so they can go be as one with the vacuum cleaner. Just because they are looking for a loving meaningful committed relationship - which by the way is what most humans want - it doesn’t make them weak.  It’s been suggested that once in a while the woman choose no one. Again, these are rom coms, not women empowerment movies.

There are plenty of edgier alternatives on the tube for those who want it.  Should Hallmark stray too far from the formula they have they will lose more viewers. Why does Hallmark have to be all things to all people?

I came to this site from ones I PReVIOUSLY frequented with people who were WITHOUT PITY.  I’ve enjoyed the wit and intellectual banter and insights that some many contribute, but I don’t appreciate the name calling.  Referring to people as “pearl clutching hausfraus” and “nutty homophobes” does not encourage open dialogue and respectful debate.  While I’m not the group being targeted, I also have choice words for those at the other end of the spectrum who shut down dissent and engage in virtue signaling. 

Keep the snark alive!

Excellent post.

Would you mind if I stayed on to fulfill your last sentence?

I would like to think you do not regard me as a "hater".

• Love 2
On 4/18/2022 at 3:38 PM, ctlady said:

I'm in that same minority.  The HoF movies are just so much more well done.

Hallmark HoF movies used to be an event.  When one came out,  we planned around a family night of watching.

Sadly, Hallmark has chosen to quantity over quality, spewing out formulaic movies with exactly the same recurring themes and with virtually no diversity in the casts.  That's not America.  And as a minority, I find it insulting.  None of these reflect life as I know it.

Edited by Cetacean
  • Love 4

I'd actually like to see plots revolve more around "regular" working class women struggling for fulfillment in their careers and personal life.  Not sure if this would be more in Lifetime's "edgier" line, though.

One of my favorite movies is  While You Were Sleeping (although originally from NYC, I did spend some time in Chicago) where lonely Windy City Transit Authority toll collector Sandra Bullock yearns for a real family of her own and pines for a handsome stranger who trips and develops amnesia near the railroad tracks.  She visits him in the hospital every day and then things get very complicated.

This is the kind of story I love:  a sort of Cinderella tale but also grounded in reality with people one can emotionally relate to.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

This is the kind of story I love:  a sort of Cinderella tale but also grounded in reality with people one can emotionally relate to.

I watch that every Christmas!  No McMansions, no impossible wardrobes, a story about working class folks that is totally relatable.  Love it, so sweet and a rom-com with a happy ending that isn't ridiculous.

Edited by Cetacean
spelling
  • Love 5

The Hall of Fame movies were a part of my childhood and adult-hood.  I can still hear the narrator's deep voice, "And, now, the conclusion of . . . ."  They were appointment television and were, not only entertaining, but frequently enlightening.  Three generations gathered to watch them in my home.  Even though viewing choices were limited in those years of three major networks and a couple of UHF stations, I think I'd still choose a HoF movie over other offerings.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I watch that every Christmas!  No McMansions, no impossible wardrobes, a story about workking class folks that is totally relatable.  Love it, so sweet and a rom-com with a happy ending that isn't ridiculous.

"These mashed potatoes are so creamy!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Dani said:

I’m just glad I don’t have to see CCB in a billion Christmas promos anymore. 

I wonder who the face of "Countdown to Christmas" will be. Not sorry to admit......I will miss Candace doing those promos.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

One of my favorite movies is  While You Were Sleeping (although originally from NYC, I did spend some time in Chicago) where lonely Windy City Transit Authority toll collector Sandra Bullock yearns for a real family of her own and pines for a handsome stranger who trips and develops amnesia near the railroad tracks.  She visits him in the hospital every day and then things get very complicated.

I love this movie.  There is a Hallmark (or Hallmark-ish) clone called A Love To Remember.  The same 'family misunderstands the relationship between their comatose son and a random stranger who happened to be at the hospital.'  It was fine, but I can't imagine anyone would rather see a Hallmark version than the actual original which stars real movie stars.

• Love 3

Because of GAC business model of poaching Hallmark talent, I’m betting there will be more exclusive contract announcements for Hallmark and GAC.   Hallmark has to lock down their talent to prevent losing more people.  But the Hallmark machine is so big I think it can withstand losing a few actors.  I think some have been overused and the audience would enjoy newbies joining the rotation of movies.  But there are favorites I am always happy to see.  I am relieved Andrew Walker is sticking with Hallmark.  I hope Nikki DeLoach, Paul Campbell, Kristoffer Polaha, Autumn Reeser, Alison Sweeny, Michael Rady, and Luke Macfarlane stay with Hallmark. I also look forward to new faces in leading roles.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Dani said:

I’m just glad I don’t have to see CCB in a billion Christmas promos anymore. 

You and me both! There is nothing about CCB that doesn't make me cringe. I'd love to go into details, but not here. She can shuffle on off to that little unenlightened SD corner of 1,000 reruns. My pagan prayers have been answered!

Now, I'll say something nice: Her brother is worse.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Luckylyn said:

I hope Nikki DeLoach, Paul Campbell, Kristoffer Polaha, Autumn Reeser, Alison Sweeny, Michael Rady, and Luke Macfarlane stay with Hallmark.

If there's one person I'm pretty sure will not be making the leap to GAC, it'd be Paul as he has been one of the major voices behind the push for LGBTQ+ inclusion in Hallmark movies.

I think we know that GAC is not going to go there.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

"These mashed potatoes are so creamy!"

Sadly, Micole Mercurio as well as Peter Boyle are gone. Glynis Johns is alive at 98! I adore that movie, just adore. I know I've seen it at least 75 times! If it's on, I HAVE to watch, even if I stumbled upon it midway!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

I am relieved Andrew Walker is sticking with Hallmark.  I hope Nikki DeLoach, Paul Campbell, Kristoffer Polaha, Autumn Reeser, Alison Sweeny, Michael Rady, and Luke Macfarlane stay with Hallmark. I also look forward to new faces in leading roles.

Here's a plea for locking Tyler Hynes into a deal from me! There are others I like, too (Kimberley Sustad, Erica Durance, Victor Webster, and PLEASE bring back Antonio Cupo), but you've hit a lot of my favorites. 

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

Because of GAC business model of poaching Hallmark talent, I’m betting there will be more exclusive contract announcements for Hallmark and GAC.   Hallmark has to lock down their talent to prevent losing more people.  But the Hallmark machine is so big I think it can withstand losing a few actors.  I think some have been overused and the audience would enjoy newbies joining the rotation of movies.  But there are favorites I am always happy to see.  I am relieved Andrew Walker is sticking with Hallmark.  I hope Nikki DeLoach, Paul Campbell, Kristoffer Polaha, Autumn Reeser, Alison Sweeny, Michael Rady, and Luke Macfarlane stay with Hallmark. I also look forward to new faces in leading roles.

I agree with you about every one of those actors you wish to see stay with Hallmark. I'd like to add Paul Greene to that list but somehow I don't think he will stick around Hallmark. I've read about his personal life and Hallmark just may not be a fit for him anymore.

Besides CCB, I'm sad to see Jill Wagner leave Hallmark. I don't plan to tune into GAC much at all so I'll stick with the Hallmark product of movies.

3 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

You and me both! There is nothing about CCB that doesn't make me cringe. I'd love to go into details, but not here. She can shuffle on off to that little unenlightened SD corner of 1,000 reruns. My pagan prayers have been answered!

Now, I'll say something nice: Her brother is worse.

I enjoy Candace but I know exactly what you are referring to. I tune that aspect of her personal life TOTALLY out when I see her on my TV screen. Her brother is a nut case, if you ask me. I don't think she is quite that bad.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

If there's one person I'm pretty sure will not be making the leap to GAC, it'd be Paul as he has been one of the major voices behind the push for LGBTQ+ inclusion in Hallmark movies.

Isn't that what the exodus of actors is all about? Personally, I'm not too happy with all this inclusiveness that is showing up in the Hallmark movies, but I know Hallmark is reaching out to a segment of the public that has not seen anyone like themselves in their movies and I understand that. I'll still continue to watch Hallmark movies. I'm addicted.

Edited by luvthepros
19 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

Besides CCB, I'm sad to see Jill Wagner leave Hallmark. I don't plan to tune into GAC much at all so I'll stick with the Hallmark product of movies.

Even though Jill Wagner was in a GAC Christmas movie, I have not read that she signed an exclusive deal with GAC.  I think there is still hope that there may a new HMM Mystery 101 movie at some point.  The delay may be that she is producing and starring in a new Paramount Network series "Lioness".

• Useful 1
18 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

Isn't that what the exodus of actors is all about?

No, I don't think so.  I think people are going to GAC because of their relationship with Bill Abbot who brought many of them to Hallmark.  I think it's because he's offering exclusive contracts that signaled an investment in future projects whereas it sounds like with Hallmark, they used to wait to get called up. 

Now for CCB, I could see the LGBTQ representation being a factor but for the others, it's probably a combination of relationships, exclusivity and not really caring whether or not the movies pretend gay people don't exist.

• Love 3

CCB not screeching about CHRISTMAS MAGIC in every promotion this season? Woo hoo! I will not miss her and her manic grinning. The only movie I loved of hers is Let It Snow before she got annoying. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Sadly, Micole Mercurio as well as Peter Boyle are gone. Glynis Johns is alive at 98! I adore that movie, just adore. I know I've seen it at least 75 times! If it's on, I HAVE to watch, even if I stumbled upon it midway!

Didn't realize Glynis was still with us!  Wow, she sure is going strong.  A wonderful, charming, beguiling actress over these many, many decades.  (since the early 1940's)  I knew about Peter Boyle's demise but not Micole's...

"Mary mashed 'em"

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mikeb said:

Even though Jill Wagner was in a GAC Christmas movie, I have not read that she signed an exclusive deal with GAC.  I think there is still hope that there may a new HMM Mystery 101 movie at some point.  The delay may be that she is producing and starring in a new Paramount Network series "Lioness".

Don’t hold your breath.

From what I’ve heard from people who are in the know - re: her little Instagram post, it’s a good thing a liar’s pants do not catch on fire,  or her ass would have 3rd degree burns from the lies told & the bridges she set on fire. 

Edited by Veronica
  • Useful 2
19 minutes ago, Veronica said:

Don’t hold your breath.

From what I’ve heard from people who are in the know - re: her little Instagram post, it’s a good thing a liar’s pants do not catch on fire,  or her ass would have 3rd degree burns from the lies told & the bridges she set on fire. 

Well, then.  That sure sounds like a goodbye from Jill.  Darn, I loved that Mystery 101 series.  And Kristoffer is one of my faves.  They were a great duo together and the background cast was fantastic too.  Boooooo.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Well, then.  That sure sounds like a goodbye from Jill.  Darn, I loved that Mystery 101 series.  And Kristoffer is one of my faves.  They were a great duo together and the background cast was fantastic too.  Boooooo.

Yep. The network ordered the cliffhanger. The writer has the script ready for the next episode. Kris is ready.  Whoever is advising JW is giving her bad advice. Real bad. 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Veronica said:

Don’t hold your breath.

The GAC IG account commented on her latest IG post about Easter. I thought I saw it comment on the post you linked to but I got where I saw the response confused because I looked at a few of her IG posts in a row.

Paul Campbell posted this as an IG Story that someone brought over to Twitter. An IG Story for anyone who doesn't know isn't a regular post and only stays up for a certain period of time which I think is still 24hrs. If you click on his profile pic over there it should come up.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, Jaded said:

The GAC IG account commented on her latest IG post about Easter. I thought I saw it comment on the post you linked to but I got where I saw the response confused because I looked at a few of her IG posts in a row.

Paul Campbell posted this as an IG Story that someone brought over to Twitter. An IG Story for anyone who doesn't know isn't a regular post and only stays up for a certain period of time which I think is still 24hrs. If you click on his profile pic over there it should come up.

I adore that man!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Veronica said:

Yep. The network ordered the cliffhanger. The writer has the script ready for the next episode. Kris is ready.  Whoever is advising JW is giving her bad advice. Real bad. 

Interesting.  Hmm.  They could recast.  I like Jill but they could kill her off.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Veronica said:

Don’t hold your breath.

I'm disappointed in Jill.   I don't expect to see her again on Hallmark in anything.   She is either lying or extremely obtuse if she doesn't get that her involvement and promotion of GAC burned bridges with Hallmark.  It sucks because I'll miss Mystery 101.  Jill and Kris had great chemistry.   But this whole situation has turned me off to Jill.  Hard to explain but her IG post didn't set well with me, and your post makes me think I was right.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Personally, I'm not too happy with all this inclusiveness that is showing up in the Hallmark movies, but I know Hallmark is reaching out to a segment of the public that has not seen anyone like themselves in their movies and I understand that.

Wow, we minorities have to apologize for troubling all of the Caucasian viewers.  Sorry to have rocked your boat.

• Love 17
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think Luke MacFarlane is another one who is not going to GAC. 

6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Now for CCB, I could see the LGBTQ representation being a factor but for the others, it's probably a combination of relationships, exclusivity and not really caring whether or not the movies pretend gay people don't exist.

I actually think Hallmarks move toward inclusivity also played a big role in Jen Lilley jumping ship. She been spouting all the “family friendly” language for years. She seems to be pretty in line with Candace in that area.

Even before I read the recents post about Jill Wagner I suspected she was out for the same reasons. All of that also plays a part in their having a good relationship with Abbott. It’s probably not the only factor but the actors who have left have definitely fit a mold. 

5 hours ago, windsprints said:

The actors are probably going to benefit from the two channels fighting to sign them. Hallmark is starting to sign them for exclusive deals too:

https://tvline.com/2022/04/20/hallmark-channel-taylor-cole-exclusive-movies-deal/

So far they have deals with Lacey Chabert, Brennan Elliot, Holly Robinson Peete, Heather Hemmens, Johnathan Bennet, Andrew Walker and Taylor. 

I wonder how many more deals GAC will even be able to make. All these actors with multi-picture deals are going to need movies to be in and they have only had 2 original movies so far this year. Plus their ratings are really bad. Danica’s first GAC movie only got around 100,000 viewers. They really do not have the resources to compete with Hallmark. Now if Lifetime decides to start doing exclusive deals that would make things very interesting. 

Edited by Guest

I’m also wondering if Lifetime is going to get into the exclusive contract game.   They definitely have more resources to compete with Hallmark.   I liked the way things were where actors had freedom to hop from one network to another.  Sometimes one actor would be in Christmas movies on different networks the same year.  Yet locking down the actors makes business sense with GAC actively trying to recruit Hallmark talent.   Plus, I assume the actors appreciate the job security a contract provides.   I do wonder if some will insist on being free agents and continue hopping from one network to another.  

Some actors don’t like longterm contracts.  I remember a show I used to watch and wondering why a popular supporting character never got upgraded to lead but it turned out it was the actor’s choice because he found the contract to be a lead to be too restricting.  I remember Hilarie Burton and her horrible experience with sexual harassment on One Tree Hill and how she said that experience makes her hesitate to sign long term contracts unless she knows the people involved extremely well or has a lot of creative control.  She’s done some Hallmark, but I think Lifetime offered her more control so she’s pops up there more often.  

38 minutes ago, Luckylyn said:

I’m also wondering if Lifetime is going to get into the exclusive contract game.   They definitely have more resources to compete with Hallmark.

I'd be surprised. Lifetime only gets into the romcom game around Christmas. 

4 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Wow, we minorities have to apologize for troubling all of the Caucasian viewers.  Sorry to have rocked your boat.

I don’t know specifically what the poster was referring to, but there are a lot of people who are not interested in gay romance for storylines. I don’t assume the post is about race. Anecdotally speaking, I’ve heard very little objection to the inclusion of POC and interracial romance but a lot with respect to the push for gay romance.

I will be interested to see if Rachel Boston ends up signing an exclusive deal with Hallmark or GAC.   I could be way off, but my impression from her social media is that she is very religious but more in support of inclusiveness than CCB.

7 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

I don’t assume the post is about race. 

Oxford Languages definition of inclusivity: the practice or policy of providing equal access to opportunities and resources for people who might otherwise be excluded or marginalized, such as those having physical or mental disabilities or belonging to other minority groups.

I tend to "assume" when a network claims to be inclusive and includes a single person of color in a cast of 100.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Cetacean said:

It is just a ripple. I get it. Hallmark feels the need to reach out to the minorities and include all of them. GAC, OTOH, could give two shits about including minorities. So, there is that. I will not be watching GAC. I"m sticking with Hallmark, as I said in a previous post.

Edited by luvthepros

Since I’m using YouTube TV so GAC is not available on it… not my problem. I’ve seen their movie once umm… I’m not coming back to cable so they are not important enough to me. 

I know it’s the fight over inclusivity… diversity… whatever you like to name it… it don’t bother me if they want to jump ship to GAC. It’s their right to fail in such fashion. I know Hallmark & Lifetime are going to last much longer but GAC? I wouldn’t bet on their channel yet for now. 

CCB? She’s ok but way overexposed… everywhere you can’t escape at all! 

Just keep me entertained with your sense of humor & disdain for TV decision making process 😉

What does every think these contracts do to the showing of their older movies in the future? Hallmark pulled Lori Laughlin's movies out of the rotation when her legal troubles occurred. Will they pull CCB's or others' movies from the rotation due to their now exclusive contracts with GAC?

3 hours ago, mikeb said:

I will be interested to see if Rachel Boston ends up signing an exclusive deal with Hallmark or GAC.   I could be way off, but my impression from her social media is that she is very religious but more in support of inclusiveness than CCB.

I have vague memories of watching a made for tv movie where her character gets involved with a married man and ends up pregnant (or faked a pregnancy?). The other woman (that is, the wife character) was played by (I think) Anna Chlumsky from My Girl  (my favorite Maucaley Culkin film).

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

Anecdotally speaking, I’ve heard very little objection to the inclusion of POC and interracial romance but a lot with respect to the push for gay romance.

The push for inclusion included everything but you're right, you're far less likely to hear a public objection to POC leads or an interracial romance.  That's not because a lot of the public complainers have any interest in a movie with at least one POC lead; rather it's because the applicable biblical or "family friendly" arguments they could use to protest those movies have largely gone out of style, even in their churches or communities. It wasn't that long ago that the same biblical arguments used against gay relationships were used against interracial relationships.  The underlying prejudice might still be there but it just manifests itself in other ways.  There's no easily available "I'm not racist but...." argument they can use to protest a Hallmark movie with POC leads that can still let them believe they're not racist.

So instead of protesting, most will simply just not watch the movies that don't interest them.

But when it comes to gay relationships or people, "family friendly" still flies as code because even amongst many who are accepting, there are some underlying ideas about homosexuality that can still linger. Things like seeing a chaste kiss between a straight couple is just a chaste straight kiss but a chaste kiss between members of the same sex (usually men) is announcing to the world who they fuck. Heck, even just a character saying "I'm gay" is akin to to announcing to the world who they sleep with to too many people.

And that's why they protest the inclusion of gay characters in any fashion instead of just choosing to ignore the movies that don't interest them the way I suspect many do with other minorities in starring roles.*

*To be clear, this is a mixed bag as there are people who welcome seeing gay characters but not two POC leads and vice versa.  It's why intersectionality exists.

• Love 7
59 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

GAC appears to be the place for White, heterosexual, Christian viewers.

Agreed, although they did have a Christmas movie in 2021 with 2 POC leads. If they continue that may upset people going there too. 

Personally I don't see why any channel would want to be so restrictive. 2022 is the first year GAC will have a full slate for the holidays & they're branding themselves as being the white, christian channel. Out of the gate they're excluding large parts of the population.

There's 500+ scripted tv shows & hundreds of tv/holiday movies available. It's not difficult to find entertainment you can enjoy. Unless it's a religious themed channel I don't see why any wouldn't want to be inclusive to gain as many viewers as they can.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, AAEBoiler said:

What does every think these contracts do to the showing of their older movies in the future? Hallmark pulled Lori Laughlin's movies out of the rotation when her legal troubles occurred. Will they pull CCB's or others' movies from the rotation due to their now exclusive contracts with GAC?

Her stuff was pulled because of her criminal activity, not because someone else signed her to a contract. 

Paul Campbell as the bartender in “Love, Classified” was a hoot! I thought it was the best of 2022 so far! 

Edited by Veronica
  • Love 4

At the end of the day, I don’t care who they cast in these movies. As long as they are the escapist, sappy fluff - I am there. What I find the most shocking in all of this …. Is that so many people can take offense and take these movies so seriously.  But I get it, I guess. If they are offended or uncomfortable they have an alternative network. As for actors jumping ship - no one is irreplaceable. For me, some were so overused, I shed no tears.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, Kemper said:

At the end of the day, I don’t care who they cast in these movies. As long as they are the escapist, sappy fluff - I am there. What I find the most shocking in all of this …. Is that so many people can take offense and take these movies so seriously.  But I get it, I guess. If they are offended or uncomfortable they have an alternative network. As for actors jumping ship - no one is irreplaceable. For me, some were so overused, I shed no tears.

Same.

Crown Media /Hallmark has signed Andrew Walker, Lacey, Holly Robinson Peete, Brennan Elliott, Taylor Cole, and Heather Hemmens to contracts.

Brittany Bristow was on DTH the other day - she seems like a fun person with a super personality. She’s talented - she has been one of my favorite supporting actors in these movies, so I’m happy to see her be the lead and I’m looking forward to her movie with McNally on  Saturday.

Hallmark and Crown Media will be fine. 

• Love 4