Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

53 minutes ago, Daff said:

In the spirit of “interesting to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there”, you might want to do a quick search for health effects associated with living in proximity of wind turbines. 

Oh, I have. So far peer-reviewed studies have not had enough data to have definitive conclusions beyond anectodal reports.  It's a complex issue, for sure.  Early studies seemd to show problem but without good parameters such as "I live near a wind turbine" but no actual distances were recorded.  

I tried to watch the Butterfly movie but the CGI was so godawful I had to turn it off. 

It seems like a lot of movies with driving scenes are terrible as well.  The actors need to stop carrying on full face-to-face conversations without ever looking at the road.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

but no actual distances were recorded.  

Exactly. Thanks for providing the link, btw, as others might be interested, as well. The lack of information regarding “how close is too close” is what prevents local governments from establishing appropriate zoning guidelines to these companies. Much more information is needed, from knowledgeable, disinterested sources (try finding those these days). Meanwhile, so many tax dollars are going toward constructing these things, but shortsightedly, not one cent to maintain them. And they’re going up in poorer areas, where the citizens haven’t the means to declare NIMBY! Yes, obviously, renewables need to be developed, but with care, proper planning, and awareness of unintended consequences to human life (Texas, again). Right now, we’re as prepared to rely solely upon them as we are to rely upon dilithium crystals for reliable, consistent energy. 

• Love 1

Hallmark reran The Presence of Love this afternoon and I watched while I worked. I didn't know it was set in Cornwall.  Oh, my goodness!  It made me yearn for Poldark and all the beautiful scenery it contained (especially Aidan Turner).

• Love 7

Eeep!!  An ER Benton/Jeanie reunion!

I ‘shipped those two back  when “shipping” only meant “How are you mailing this?”  
And there was Eriq LaSalle with that Peter Benton finger-waggle in the preview…

I would so be down with a line of Hallmark movies reuniting Great Couples of TV (*who never had a HAE).  Off the top of my head: Amy Brenneman and Richard T Jones (Amy & Bruce from Judging Amy) should be next.  I would never stop shrieking.

• Love 8
54 minutes ago, voiceover said:

I ‘shipped those two back  when “shipping” only meant “How are you mailing this?”  

I would so be down with a line of Hallmark movies reuniting Great Couples of TV (*who never had a HAE).  Off the top of my head: Amy Brenneman and Richard T Jones (Amy & Bruce from Judging Amy) should be next.  I would never stop shrieking.

Loooove this idea.  Hallmark, are you listening?  

Yes, I was excited to see the teaser for Benton/Jeanie and will definitely watch!

• Love 4

I finally started In The Presence of Love and enjoyed it for awhile due to the gorgeous scenery, story of displaced English professor working on her very important paper, and the engaging lead guy (I’ve never seen him before), but I just cannot take Samantha Bond as she’s playing this character.  She is rude and cold and insulting.  There are so many personal issues at play in this one — I don’t care to finish it.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 1

I have been watching movies on a Canadian CityTV which a couple movies each weekend and I have enjoyed them. One was called Written in the Stars. The actress was fine but the actor was so dreamy. His name is David de Lautour. Loved him!!!

On 3/16/2022 at 10:59 PM, Clawdette said:

Hallmark reran The Presence of Love this afternoon and I watched while I worked. I didn't know it was set in Cornwall.  Oh, my goodness!  It made me yearn for Poldark and all the beautiful scenery it contained (especially Aidan Turner).

Just watched this and enjoyed it more than my normal reaction to Hallmark's movies... the emotions were real (for me) and the little girl reciting her poem made my eyes wet. My only complaint that matters is the sound editing - the music was lovely, but way too loud. I had to lip read at the end.

Spoiler

(And I would have written the ending differently... she'd have returned to Boston and THEN returned to her love at the end of the semester - that's what I'd have done! No way I'd expect someone else to take care of leasing my apartment, packing/etc., and leaving students/classes in the lurch without a prof is just wrong on some level. The storybook ending is typical Hallmark and I wish they'd stop "and they lived happily ever after ~ the end". There can be a happy ending that's somewhat realistic and still fulfill fantasy. Still very enjoyable!)

• Love 1

I am surprised they have not had Danica to persuade Fred Savage to be part of a movie. I know he is more of a director these days but I remember when he would co-host with Kelly Ripa and he was both charming and still looking good. 

Lacey Chabert and Jonathan Bennett could star in a movie together, either as a couple or as friends unlucky in love. Same for Hilarie Burton and Chad Michae Hall. 

My dream Hallmark movie would reunite Daniel Dae Kim and Yunjin Kim of Lost.

Edited by memememe76
  • Love 2

I just got around to watching The Presence of Love. Did Hallmark send out a memo to screenwriters asking for scripts containing the following elements

1. A woman with anxiety.

2. A single father 

3. A daughter with some sort of issue that can be helped by the woman

4. The woman has a dead mother who left her a message before she died but that was delivered after her death on the woman's birthday

If so, both The Presence of Love and Don't Forget I Love You were both in response to that memo.

If anyone is counting Jos had 5 coats in The Presence of Love (pink, light blue, tweed, short reversible, and red at the end) -- and one medium suitcase.

• Love 4

Do you notice that when the leads "buy" (no money seems to be exchanged) food from a cart, they never order anything to drink?  Probably because Hallmark doesn't want to show a brand name.

During one program the cart owner came out and quickly placed some undefined bottles of what looked like kefir beside their meals.

6 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

Do you notice that when the leads "buy" (no money seems to be exchanged) food from a cart, they never order anything to drink? 

Of course, they do carry around the obviously empty paper coffee cups and pretend to sip from those.  Couldn't they put something in the bottom of them to make it look a little believable? 

Of course that's not just Hallmark.  There are actually Empty Cup Awards.

• LOL 3
On 3/7/2022 at 6:14 PM, Cetacean said:

Good lord, what is it with Hallmark and Italian restaurants?  Is that the only acceptable ethic food on their checklist of tropes?  God forbid it be Ethiopian or Thai or Greek.  

I think it might have been The Baker's Son (you know me with Hallmark titles -- they all sound the same, lol) where they go to the usual ubiquitous Italian restaurant -- the leads and all the diners around them have spaghetti and meatballs (must be the "specialty") on their plates, but no one is eating, probably because the food is plastic.

• LOL 2
8 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

If anyone is counting Jos had 5 coats in The Presence of Love (pink, light blue, tweed, short reversible, and red at the end) -- and one medium suitcase.

That does drive me crazy with these Hallmark movies when the characters travel with one small suitcase and have all sorts of bulky coats with them. So unrealistic!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

I just got around to watching The Presence of Love. Did Hallmark send out a memo to screenwriters asking for scripts containing the following elements

1. A woman with anxiety.

2. A single father 

4. The woman has a dead mother who left her a message before she died but that was delivered after her death on the woman's birthday

This.  I know everything is diversity and inclusiveness now, but what's with two movies about women with crippling anxiety?   I'm sure it's a real thing and I had no objection to the first movie (other than the assumption that because the daughter was nervous about a school presentation, she must also have anxiety) but it makes me wonder if there is a list of challenges and Hallmark is going to work their way down the list.

On 3/18/2022 at 12:49 AM, MerBearHou said:
On 3/17/2022 at 11:54 PM, voiceover said:

I wasn't sure what you meant by this when I first read it, but having seen the previews a few (hundred) times this past weekend, I laughed out loud as soon as I saw it!  Gosh, I loved ER back in the days of Benton and Jeannie.  I'm really looking forward to their movie this weekend.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 3/21/2022 at 10:08 AM, ShelleySue said:

Oh, I've noticed that in several HM movies that involves travel.  I think North To Home was the most recent where everyone shows up with one roller suitcase and enough clothes (especially winter gear) to last a month.  That's Micro-Packing 101!

On 3/21/2022 at 10:08 AM, ShelleySue said:

2. A single father 

Bonus if the father is a widower, because I guess you can't sell a divorced dad with sole custody.  Plus it ups the awwwww factor.  I know marriage isn't for everyone, but I find it hard to grasp all these young, pretty people who are still single in their 30s-40s.  You can only play the following:

"I'm too career driven" 

"I'm getting over a bad relationship to where I'm throwing myself into my career - thus, career driven!" 

"I was engaged, but found out he/she was cheating on me the night before"

"In a relationship with aloof guy/girl who's also career driven so we just haven't had time to discuss marriage"

Or, my personal fave:

"In relationship with aloof, career-driven guy/girl who wants to 'talk about next step, but......the other party receives urgent call/text from small, home town relative whose been injured/sick/struggling.  They're the only ones who can swoop in and save their soon-to-be-foreclosed-upon edible Christmas ornament shop by using their suddenly savvy marketing tactics, original recipes and website design skills to pull the shop into the black.  Oh, and along the way meets high school sweetheart whose handsome, muscular, has all his hair and - Glory be to God - SINGLE!! "

......for so long before it gets unbelievably dull (if it hasn't dulled you already)

16 hours ago, bankerchick said:

This.  I know everything is diversity and inclusiveness now, but what's with two movies about women with crippling anxiety?

Because it's probably an issue they can give to someone that (and not downplaying it) sounds a lot safer than giving a lead depression, bulemia/anorexia, ADHD, etc.  Anxiety can range from mild stress to full blown can't leave the house to get the mail.  And I'm sure there are some viewers who can relate to the issue

Edited by ctlady
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ctlady said:

Because it's probably an issue they can give to someone that (and not downplaying it) sounds a lot safer than giving a lead depression, bulemia/anorexia, ADHD, etc.  Anxiety can range from mild stress to full blown can't leave the house to get the mail.  And I'm sure there are some viewers who can relate to the issue

Oh, I'm sure this is exactly what it is.  I just wonder about the pitch:  "We want some sort of disability.  But not anything that would really affect the looks or actions of the heroine.  Nothing physical.  Something we can mention several times to make sure people get how inclusive we are but otherwise, we want your bog standard 'girl meets boy, is rude and dismissive but eventually warms, some kind of fake crisis involving a job, business or property, then one party or the other, probably the woman, will give it all up for love.'"

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

"We want some sort of disability.  But not anything that would really affect the looks or actions of the heroine.  Nothing physical.  Something we can mention several times to make sure people get how inclusive we are 

And, of course, once said afflicted heroine (or hero - I mean, c'mon - if Hallmark wants to REALLY be cutting edge, they'll make these equal opportunity issues) meets the love of their life and gets married, we're supposed to assume that they're condition is cured and they're off all medication

• Love 2
19 hours ago, bankerchick said:

...if there is a list of challenges and Hallmark is going to work their way down the list

Well, since anxiety begins with "a" we have a long way to go before they get to the bottom of the list.  Do you supposed they will end the campaign with zenophobia?  All of those Americans coming across the Canadian border?  Or invading scenic places in Europe or Africa?

3 hours ago, ctlady said:

...before it gets unbelievably dull (if it hasn't dulled you already)

That ship sailed long ago.

• Love 2

They did, to their credit, last year have as a lead Alyson Stroker, previously Ado Annie in that very odd revival of 'Oklahoma', who is in a wheelchair.  I didn't watch the entire thing, but don't recall that they mentioned it.  Just sayin'  

(Not here to defend the many odd limitations they have, but they did use an actually disabled person as a heroine.  Just the one)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Chippings said:

They did, to their credit, last year have as a lead Alyson Stroker, previously Ado Annie in that very odd revival of 'Oklahoma', who is in a wheelchair.  I didn't watch the entire thing, but don't recall that they mentioned it.  Just sayin'  

Wasn't that a Lifetime Christmas movie?  Or did she do a Hallmark one too?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I believe it was Hallmark, but it was awful and I bailed early so I don't know whether the disability itself was part of the story.

No.  It was Lifetime.   I can't find her in  Hallmark movie. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2020/12/06/ali-stroker-being-first-disabled-actor-star-lifetime-film/3840122001/

I watched.  She was just in a wheelchair.   I don't think it was a major part of the story or even mentioned. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

I just found the greatest reviewer of Hallmark movies:  Rebekah, and want to share:

Hallmark Movies | Rebekah's Readings and Watchings (rebekahsreadingsandwatchings.com)

Thank you for sharing!  I couldn't stop reading.  I love that the reviewer agreed with me on almost every movie, character and actor.  She'd be great fun to watch the movies with.

Of all the Hallmark movies I have watched, of all the annoying characters I have seen, I think I can honestly say that the daughter in A Second Chance At Love was the worst.  Honestly.  What the hell is wrong with her?  She is debilitated by the fact her mother is still single?  She allowed her mother to come over at what appeared to be bedtime, and sat up and ate pie with her instead of going upstairs with her sexy husband, who had planned a big romantic gesture??  I can't believe her husband has lasted this long.  Having said that, this movie did hint at both sex and divorce, so a bit of a stretch for the network.

• Love 4
On 3/21/2022 at 3:59 PM, Bronx Babe said:

Do you notice that when the leads "buy" (no money seems to be exchanged) food from a cart, they never order anything to drink?  Probably because Hallmark doesn't want to show a brand name.

During one program the cart owner came out and quickly placed some undefined bottles of what looked like kefir beside their meals.

I never took notice. Probably because I never drink liquids while eating a meal. I cannot tell you how many people this bothers! (Why?) At a restaurant, I will have the “starter” drink, then the meal begins to come, and if it’s not gone, I typically won’t finish it (and the water remains untouched). There IS one exception: any chocolate baked good must be accompanied by a glass of milk!

• LOL 1

I’m 40 minutes into Second Chance and I’m thinking this is a terrible waste of a lot of talented, attractive actors. Seems like they’re all doing a first walk through in a badly written and produced stage play. There’s no closeness among characters, and every scene seems merely to give an impression: of a marriage, of office work, of dining out, etc. With this atmosphere, who would want a second chance?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Daff said:

I’m 40 minutes into Second Chance and I’m thinking this is a terrible waste of a lot of talented, attractive actors. Seems like they’re all doing a first walk through in a badly written and produced stage play. 

I kept losing interest and drifting off.  Rubin and LaSalle deserve a lot better script that this mess.  What a dysfunctional family. 

And "accidentally" meeting on a dating app?  Done a thousand times.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I kept losing interest and drifting off.  Rubin and LaSalle deserve a lot better script that this mess.  What a dysfunctional family. 

And "accidentally" meeting on a dating app?  Done a thousand times.

Right? I kept walking off. Eventually, I found I had washed half the living room walls! I usually watch these movies to take a BREAK from boring tasks. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

@bankerchick  I know, right, with those reviews?  I couldn't stop reading them either!  She certainly has her pulse on what makes Hallmark, well....Hallmark.   I was particularly fascinated with Rebekah's comments on A Veterans Christmas, IYKWIM, lol.  (the, er, "alien" factor)

I only saw about two minutes of A Second Chance at Love, then switched over to QVC.  For some reason I watched The 27 Hour Day and that one was horrendous.  

By the way, I was floored to discover three Hallmarks in a row where the leads actually DID pay (in cash or credit card) for their meals!  I was shocked!   So much for my carping about THAT subject.

• LOL 1
On 3/27/2022 at 8:21 AM, Daff said:

I never took notice. Probably because I never drink liquids while eating a meal. I cannot tell you how many people this bothers! (Why?) At a restaurant, I will have the “starter” drink, then the meal begins to come, and if it’s not gone, I typically won’t finish it (and the water remains untouched). There IS one exception: any chocolate baked good must be accompanied by a glass of milk!

Ha!  I do agree with you about the milk -- particularly with chocolate chip cookies!

I saw Surprised by Love and was.....well, more than surprised by -- the Twinkies!  I couldn't believe it!  I've never seen a brand name before in a Hallmark movie.  Was this a first?

48 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

I only saw about two minutes of A Second Chance at Love, then switched over to QVC.  

Well, clearly I missed something in Second Chance because Rebekah gave it glorious reviews.  She posted the same thing on IMBD with a title of "God and Family First".  That alone would have made me avoid it.  Not my thing.

• Love 4

There wasn't too much God in it.  There was some church scenes.  The sound was a little off.  And the daughter was pretty dismissive of her husband.  But I didn't hate it. I think I liked it more than others. Maybe it was the "star" power.

Oh and there will definitely be singing in next week's movie.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Clawdette said:

Hallmark has been using product placement for several years.  The one I have seen most often is Folger's Coffee.  It's been prominently displayed on counters and in cabinets.

And there’s nothing subtle about it either. It’s pretty much, “stop the action, in your face, attend to this product; now isn’t this better than having to watch a commercial?”

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Daff said:

And there’s nothing subtle about it either.

And it goes without saying that every Christmas story not only has Balsam Hill commercials but some include shots of a Balsam Hill label on boxes of ornaments.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

If youse guys want to experience some truly juicy comments about Hallmark holiday and Christmas movies, please check out the DataLounge message board.  Just click DataLounge, then Hallmark Christmas Movies.

Be forewarned, though, lol.  Some of the posts are, well....pretty down-to-earth.  But they are hilariously spot-on.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Cannot wait for that Royal Runaway Romance -- what name will they give her kingdom?  

I'm hoping it's a nod to the Marx Brothers -- Freedonia.  Hail, Hail, Freedonia!

By the way, I've noticed that parents of the lead actress's character WILL NEVER CALL HER BY HER FIRST NAME.  It is always "Sweetheart" or, secondarily, "Dear".    This is a given!

Another good drinking game.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 4/1/2022 at 9:48 PM, ECM1231 said:

Niall Matter is currently guesting on Magnum PI. He looks quite scrumptious with a beard and longer hair.

Saw that! Parent to a nicely normal, non-precocious kid! (Much appreciated). 

• Love 1
(edited)

Did anyone watch Just One Kiss last night? While it wasn’t perfect, I really enjoyed it—due in great part to Santino Fontana and his voice. The rest of the cast was excellent, too. I got why Krysta Rodriguez’ character was as defensive as she was at the beginning, and it was good (? - never thought I’d say that) to actually see nods to adult subjects like divorce and alcoholism. Although I guessed the moms’ roles virtually the second they showed up onscreen—I’m usually not good at that—I was able to handwave the plot weaknesses with the movie. Maybe I was just in the mood for a cozy story and the classic standards, which are my favorite genre of music to listen to any day of the week. But I think I’ll watch this one again.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 5

Just One Kiss was an unexpected surprise.  It's by far my favorite of the 2022 Hallmark movies and something I would actually watch again.  I wasn't familiar with the male lead prior to this, but I really enjoyed his singing.  I knew of Krysta Rodriguez so I'm glad they found a way for her to sing too.   The leads had chemistry, the movie didn't involve party planning, and the misunderstanding didn't last all that long.  I thought something was off about the moms from the beginning, but I didn't know for sure until the end.   I wish more of the Hallmark movies were as enjoyable as this one. 

• Love 4

I watched Just One Kiss and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can already guess all the negative things the usual haters will post. I liked not just the rom but this one had com too!  And.the singing! And no mermaid waves.

as to the exchange of money conversation, I often see someone order a coffee or ice cream bars from a cart and then hand over a folded bill.  They never ask how much it is and no change is ever given.

as for brands featured, I’ve seen Jergens, Walmart, and Nestles chocolate chips in addition to Folgers.  I know there have been others but I don’t recall them at the moment.

i am traumatized by Tyler Hines’ hair in the previews.  I might dump him and go back to Wes Brown.  I’d pick up Christopher Russel but he’s tainted from having kissed Cindy Busby.  Ewww,yuck.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

i am traumatized by Tyler Hines’ hair in the previews.  I might dump him and go back to Wes Brown.  I’d pick up Christopher Russel but he’s tainted from having kissed Cindy Busby.  Ewww,yuck.

This is why I read this thread!  Tyler's hair has been bad for a while, in various different bad ways.  I see your Wes Brown (who is on right now in Wedding At Graceland but Kelly Pickler and Priscilla Presley are scaring me away) but my personal faves are Travis Van Winkle (for being hot) and Paul Campbell (for being funny and charming.)  Christopher Russell is hot enough to get past the Busby cooties.  Just ask him to take his shirt off first and all will be forgiven.

I watched 5 minutes of last night's movie, which happened to be the part which has been the commercial I have watched 100x in the last week.  I turned away for a minute and forgot to go back, but it sounds like I should check it out.

Edited by bankerchick
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1