Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

Peeve of the day?

I had a perfectly lovely morning and lunch with friends and acquaintances, and then, 27 minutes into my 30 minute drive home,

failed crash and burn GIF by truTV’s Bobcat Goldthwait’s Misfits & Monsters

Well, not quite, but I ran over something monstrous and got an instant massive puncture.

Just a three minute drive or a not unpleasant 10 minute walk from home, but it took 4 whole hours to get home.

Thankfully the explosion (slight exaggeration there) had been been right next to a Rite Aid, so I clunked into their car park and worked out who to call. The car happened to be a loaner/rental so I called the dealership and they ordered a tow truck.  Since I wasn't driving my own car, I didn't have my ubiquitous book "just in case I need something to read", and the best thing I could find in RiteAid was a 6-week old Time magazine (did you know Dianne Feinstein and Michael Gambon died?).  My phone was no good as a distraction for calls, or games of Euchre, or jigsaws, or the fiendish MindGames to try to keep my brain working, because, naturally, my phone battery was running a bit low.  Which had been fine because I was close to home, except now I wasn't really.  And I couldn't afford to run the battery down because I needed to be in touch with the tow truck company and the car rental company. And I didn't have a charger because, yes, I was in a rental. And I had literally called yesterday to change both my phone and my carrier because both have been so crappy since I've moved that I was about to self-combust with frustration, but that won't happen for another couple of days. 

So, instead of spending a pleasant afternoon in the sunshine, watching another friend compete in a sports event (ironically, at a venue literally across the road from my wounded car, which I couldn't leave because I didn't know when the tow truck would get there because my phone sucks so I couldn't use the handy tracker app), I sat in said car, reading old news, waiting for a tow truck to take me a couple of miles to the car dealership to get a fresh rental and drive home.

You could describe my mood while I sat in the car as peeved.

• Hugs 5
  • Sad 4
On 12/13/2023 at 4:55 PM, oliviabenson said:

True crime and comedy and adult animation 

Ghosts (US, which is funnier and less mean than the UK version [also true of The Office]) and Bob ♥ Abishola are excellent comedies and are starting in February,  The Futon Critic has a line-up of all shows as well as a short description.

Not Dead Yet isn't knock-down comedy but it is fun.  It's about a woman who's visited by the ghosts of people she's writing an obituary for.  Abbot Elementary follows a ragtag group of teachers as they educate their students.

Edited by JH Lipton
Added other shows
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I think in fact you just added to @Bastet's peeves by giving them the peeve of not having known about the teeny tiny super glue thingamajigs.  🤣

Nope, I was glad for the tip, and even more so once I used it, because one of those little tubes was the exact amount I needed to glue the many pieces of my snowflake decoration back together.  So no waste, and I have three more in the drawer so next time I need super glue, I have a fresh tube ready to go.

Now, I was peeved that the material is porous enough it was hard to get enough glue on each piece to create a bond without using too much, so some ran out and I wound up super glued to myself/the piece, and that the shape of the decoration meant I couldn't use clamps, so having to hold it together, let it sit before putting pressure on it to glue another piece, etc. meant it was a longer project than I anticipated.  But it all came together, is back where it belongs and looks great with the new piece above it, and I got all the glue off my fingers, so I'm happy.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

My peeve today: All of the click-bait ads on social media with come-ons like, "He was a teen heart-throb in the '70s, but he's unrecognizable now!" as if it's shocking news. Having attended my 50-year class reunion, I can say that would apply to most of us.

• Like 10
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
36 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

My peeve today: All of the click-bait ads on social media with come-ons like, "He was a teen heart-throb in the '70s, but he's unrecognizable now!" as if it's shocking news. Having attended my 50-year class reunion, I can say that would apply to most of us.

The late, great Carrie Fisher once said something like "Decades of living makes you look older, who knew?" and I think of that whenever I come across those stupid "stories".

Fisher had lots of great quotes about women aging, and I think this is my favorite:

I’m what psychology journals refer to as batshit crazy.  It’s a delicate mix of bipolar disorder, which I’m able to control with serious medication, and a completely untreatable case of I Don’t Give a Shit.  Unfortunately, for a woman the side effects of this condition include reduced employment, phone calls from terrified PR flacks, and tremendous difficulty getting myself down to a weight that’s acceptable to some 35-year-old studio executive whose deepest fantasy and worst nightmare somehow both involve me in a gold bikini.

• Like 12
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1

Also, I know I've complained about this before, but since this is the time of year I order things for delivery: I am sick of delivery people not knocking/ringing the bell to let me know I have packages. 

I know some people are irritated when they do knock/ring, so the drivers can't win, they're held to ridiculous timetables so I mostly just sympathize with them, and I've never experienced package theft in this neighborhood, so it's a minor peeve, but an annual minor peeve it is.  I certainly don't expect them to wait to see if I answer the door, but take the literal second to knock/ring before heading back to the truck.  The "Delivered" email from the vendor usually doesn't come in for at least an hour, and then of course I may not be on the computer at the time to see it, so if I'm home when the package arrives (which I usually am), I'd prefer to go bring it in right away.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
27 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Also, I know I've complained about this before, but since this is the time of year I order things for delivery: I am sick of delivery people not knocking/ringing the bell to let me know I have packages. 

I know some people are irritated when they do knock/ring, so the drivers can't win, they're held to ridiculous timetables so I mostly just sympathize with them, and I've never experienced package theft in this neighborhood, so it's a minor peeve, but an annual minor peeve it is.  I certainly don't expect them to wait to see if I answer the door, but take the literal second to knock/ring before heading back to the truck.  The "Delivered" email from the vendor usually doesn't come in for at least an hour, and then of course I may not be on the computer at the time to see it, so if I'm home when the package arrives (which I usually am), I'd prefer to go bring it in right away.

I just wish UPS and Fed Ex had a return to sender option.  Sure, if you're home (and they knock) you can refuse it.  But, if they leave it, you have to go through the whole rigamarole of getting a return label.  Which I find annoying because I don't have a printer at the moment.  It would be nice if you could just put (REFUSE) on it and drop it off at a shipping drop off point. 

Last month Xfinity sent me equipment that they had sent me 6 months ago.  Exact same thing that I didn't need.  I didn't even open it, just called to find out what it was, which was a nightmare of its own.  Ever try to talk to a live person at Xfinity?  

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

The late, great Carrie Fisher once said something like "Decades of living makes you look older, who knew?" and I think of that whenever I come across those stupid "stories".

Fisher had lots of great quotes about women aging, and I think this is my favorite:

I loved her in “When Harry Met Sally”, and Star Wars, of course.

• Like 1

On the same note of this time of year online purchases. My peeve is some vendors from Amazon have decided to ship just in a see thru plastic bag. OK, so when it is double bagged I'm kind of OK with that but last night my mail lady put a pair of pants in my mail box (it was dark and I planned to get it today) that was only in the bag the pants came in, with the little safety holes those bags have.

This morning when I drove up to my mailbox, the pants were damp from being overnight outside. Thank goodness it didn't rain (my box is not 100% watertight), but just the dampness from the fog was annoying. If that package had been dropped in a puddle somewhere along the line, it would have gotten wet inside and possibly stained the pants.  It is not that hard to double bag these items if they aren't using a box. And why not use those white heavy duty bags most things come in???

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
35 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

On the same note of this time of year online purchases. My peeve is some vendors from Amazon have decided to ship just in a see thru plastic bag. OK, so when it is double bagged I'm kind of OK with that but last night my mail lady put a pair of pants in my mail box (it was dark and I planned to get it today) that was only in the bag the pants came in, with the little safety holes those bags have.

You can choose “use Amazon packaging” option and that way they’re packed in boxes or the regular plastic (white and blue) or the brown paper bag packaging.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Since I pretty much order everything from Amazon, this is a non-issue. Alexa is constantly telling me my package has arrived. (I get a lot of packages). Sometimes I wish she'd shut up about it, but it is helpful when something gets dropped at the wrong door because I know it should be there, so if it's not, I go looking (I am in condos and sometimes they get the numbers mixed up). 

My delivery based pet peeve is when Amazon asks if I want to select a specific date for delivery so my items come in less packaging (saving the environment yo!) and then proceed to come on the same day but in 2-3 different boxes. Like, um, doesn't that defeat the point? 

• Like 9
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm sitting here waiting for delivery (was supposed to be here before 9 PM; now it says 10 PM).  I've got the front porch light on. It's really raining cats and dogs as there's a storm working its way up the east coast. Delivery folks from amazon rarely ring the bell (of course, this late at night a doorbell ringing would scare the hell outta me!) Tough job delivering in weather like this 😟

Carrie Fisher and Bruno Kirby were *the best* part of When Harry Met Sally, IMO.  I always look forward to the scene when they grab a cab and leave Harry & Sally in the dust.

• Like 4

I do the same thing Mabinogia  with combined deliveries then poor delivery folks making several trips. There’s many drivers out there that aren’t Amazon employees too and more likely to leave them right at my door front and center. 
There’s a lot of package thieves as well a car break ends in my general area so I have added instructions to hide packages from vision of sidewalk in my condo community.  A toy figure that one grandson wanted got double ordered ( I cancelled one on their recommendation when it was delayed 10 days) and both came at same time today.  One came in an envelope and was smashed and the other in perfect size box. I have to chuckle because the grandsons  think these are going to increase in value so they leave them in the box. Amazon has always rung my doorbell .I have new Ring and I  get notices and an early overnight  delivery I didn’t hear because I sleep with ear pods in and I’m hard of hearing ,but my doggie barked so he heard. Everyone is working so hard. My gripe is huge boxes with a non breakable small item then the breakables in an envelope. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

The Royals forum was sunsetted. No more tiaras and bling… ☹️

I'm glad you posted that.  I used to try to keep up with it, but now it probably would have been days or weeks before I realized it was missing.  Oh, well, flip side of the peeve is that I'll no longer feel like I'm missing something.

• LOL 3

On 12/17/2023 at 3:27 AM, Ancaster said:

I'm sorry, I don't get this.  Someone's going to have to explain it to me.  I'm not sure who it is or what the reference is with the wreath, etc.  🤷‍♀️

The inimitable Keith Morrison from Dateline

Also, re. running over something: my BF did that last week. He was unable to swerve due to traffic and his year-old car is totaled. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Sad 1
23 hours ago, Bastet said:

Case in point:  I forgot a package was scheduled for delivery today, so did not check the porch when I got up at 10:00 this morning.  I remembered around 11:00, and there sat my package.  It is now ten minutes after 1:00, and I still have not received a "delivered" e-mail.  I checked the tracking out of curiosity, which shows it as delivered at 10:05.  No harm done, obviously, but it still bugs for someone not to, while standing directly in front of my door, having placed a package there, not take the extra second (I know they're on a ridiculously tight schedule, but damn) to knock/ring the bell as they walk back towards the truck.

Delivery people do not ring the bell anymore and haven’t in years. I send my packages to the neighbor who owns a house or a pick up point. None of my packages are stolen anymore. F the package thief’s I wish them a lifetime of never ending diarrhea.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
23 hours ago, ABay said:

My current peeve is that Disney and a few other streaming services don't show you how much time is left in what you're watching when you pause it.

We thought that too, but then we figured out how to do it.  You have to move your controller arrow down and then it shows more information.  If that does not make sense let me know, and I will try to explain better or post a picture.  Are you using a smart tv or a device like Roku?  We use Roku. 

• Like 1

"After careful consideration and in response to repeated instances of toxic discussions and significant moderation challenges, we have decided to close the Royals forum effective as of today."  This was part of the explanation of why the Royals forum was closed.  The only thing I can think of is the discussion of Harry and Meghan. Why not just close that one?  There was nothing toxic about the clothes and jewelry being discussed, really going to miss those!

• Like 10
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
30 minutes ago, Kimboweena said:

Why not just close that one?  There was nothing toxic about the clothes and jewelry being discussed, really going to miss those!

Agreed. The Royal fashion threads were my favorites. The only bright side is, it will help my ween myself off this site (I spend way too much time online and want to cut back. With the lack of current shows I watch and now that loss of the royal threads I can finally cut back... eventually. It takes me quite a while to make a change). 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

it still bugs for someone not to, while standing directly in front of my door, having placed a package there, not take the extra second (I know they're on a ridiculously tight schedule, but damn) to knock/ring the bell as they walk back towards the truck.

I imagine it’s because a lot of people don’t like it. They’ve got babies napping, dogs that go berserk, etc. I myself have a doorbell that broke three years ago and I just let it stay broken. If I’m expecting people, I put a post it note on it that says “broken.”

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

For me, the dog barks when someone drives up and drops the package, so I don't need the doorbell.  We don't actually have a doorbell at our 100-year-old house, come to think of it. 

For our city apartment, we have a doorman, which is a godsend for receiving packages. 

• Like 3
On 12/17/2023 at 2:27 AM, Ancaster said:

I'm sorry, I don't get this.  Someone's going to have to explain it to me.  I'm not sure who it is or what the reference is with the wreath, etc.  🤷‍♀️

(giggling)  Instead of "Elf on a Shelf," it's "Keith on a Wreath." 

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

For me, the dog barks when someone drives up and drops the package, so I don't need the doorbell.  We don't actually have a doorbell at our 100-year-old house, come to think of it. 

For our city apartment, we have a doorman, which is a godsend for receiving packages. 

I don't need them to knock either. Amazon emails whenever my order is delivered. And I have USPS Informed Delivery so if it's not Amazon, it's the post office.

• Like 4

My dad has been upset, because he hasn't had nearly as much work as he thought he would. His boss said he thinks someone a bit higher up, messed up, because they should have been flooded with things to deliver, this past month. So, he's just trying to get enough to keep us going for the next few weeks. So, even though I would, just once, like to get to enjoy a holiday season again (have my dad enjoy it, too), with everything going on in the world, I'm just reminding myself of how lucky we are to just be here, and not be too sick, or dealing with worse than usual. We will still just be thankful that we made it to Christmas Eve, and the New Year (fingers crossed). I have friends who are experiencing one of the worst holiday seasons of their lives. Right this minute, we're okay. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 7
  • Useful 1

A reminder: We have a health and wellness forum which also includes a peeve thread for all medical talk including Covid. Going forward, these posts will be removed if not in the proper thread. We have posted several notes already about this and a post in the forum rules thread.

• Like 4
20 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

The inimitable Keith Morrison from Dateline.

The inimitable Keith Morrison from Dateline

Also, re. running over something: my BF did that last week. He was unable to swerve due to traffic and his year-old car is totaled. 

No idea who this is, but thanks for the replies - I guess I can release some much needed brain space om this now!

• LOL 1

Re the discussion regarding delivery. I have spent all day waiting for a package that requires signature to be delivered. Before 9am I posted a note on my door to say I am home, please ring door bell. When the delivery person finally showed up after 6pm he knocked on the door. What the heck? Can they not read? And I didn't have to sign anything - just confirmed my name.

While waiting I did manage to get the wreath for the door made and hung - an old grape vine circular inserted with fresh cut cedar boughs, lights and a trio of bells. It does cover my knocker. Which makes the decision not to use a door bell even more preposterous.

• Like 1

Waiting on a UPS package, checking the tracking for such, and seeing that UPS has transferred my package to the post office for final delivery and here is your USPS tracking number. Seriously?! In my area, this means I may get the package anywhere from the next day to never. Naturally on what I’m waiting on the post office is currently delayed. Why can’t UPS just deliver it themselves? One time a package did get so badly held up I got the shipment several days late and damaged. So frustrating. 

• Like 1

Speaking of deliveries, my building usually calls or messages me when something arrives and if something supposedly arrived but I never got a message from them, I know something’s up.  Yesterday, I placed an order from Sephora for skincare products and it was for same day delivery.  24 hours later, I still didn’t have it.  I checked my account and it had arrived.  Turns out it went to a different building and I had to speak with Sephora twice to get a refund.  The first time, it was on chat and they said to call the store it came from.  The store then said there was nothing they could do and to contact the delivery service (which in this case was DoorDash).  DoorDash couldn’t do anything since it wasn’t directly linked to my DoorDash account.  Contacted Sephora again and finally got my refund!

• Sad 3
17 hours ago, Schnickelfritz said:

Keith (Morrison) on a wreath (vs Elf on a Shelf)

Seriously? I can hear his distinctive, kinda smarmy voice right now 😁.  I loved Bill Hader's take on him.

Geez...people are driving like bats outta hell around here this week. Think I'll stay home and bake cookies.

• Like 1