Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

40 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Mine have permanent indentations. Big boobs on a small body.

Oy, same. And I have dense tissue so I can lose weight and my cup size doesn't change. I lost over 30 pounds a few years ago and went from a 32DDD to a 30DDD. It's gotten to the point where I'm looking into a reduction to help with my back/neck/shoulder pain, asthetics comes second now (although I would love to buy tops that are actually my size instead of ones that will fit over my knockers).

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I know wearing four layers of tights would make me reach for Aunt Pittypat's smelling salts for sure.

13 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Oy, same. And I have dense tissue so I can lose weight and my cup size doesn't change. I lost over 30 pounds a few years ago and went from a 32DDD to a 30DDD. It's gotten to the point where I'm looking into a reduction to help with my back/neck/shoulder pain, asthetics comes second now (although I would love to buy tops that are actually my size instead of ones that will fit over my knockers).

It's such a problem for me too. Bleh. I liked it back when I was a standard 32B. But since I had my son I shot up to a 32DD. So much back pain. And clothes never look good.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'll pile on the bra peeve.  I cannot for the life of me find bras I like.  Underwire doesn't bother me either way, but I despise molded cups, and I'm not a fan of padding or even a lot of lining.  I also prefer one with a clasp -- no pulling it over my head, thanks, so anything resembling a sports bra-type garment is right out.  I'm on the verge of needing new bras, and if anyone has any suggestions, I welcome them!

I became a fan of Olga Luxury Lift a couple years ago.  Comfy, supportive and they come in a variety of colors.  I get them mostly on sale at Kohl's, but I've bought a couple from eBay in colors I can't find in the store. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I have an extensive bra collection (same with panties; I have an intense dislike for boring underwear - on me, I don't care what anyone else wears - so I've curated a varied selection), and I'm lucky to have a lingerie shop in the neighborhood run by a very knowledgeable woman who looks at your breasts' size, shape, and placement, and immediately rattles off a handful of options to best support and flatter them.  Whenever she comes across (in catalogs or trade shows) a new bra with the structure I need and a style I might like, she gets one in my size and asks if I want it.

Anyway, based on that experience, some of my favorite brands are Lunaire, Chantelle, Wacoal ... and my very favorite, that I can't recall the name of, and was unable to check the tag for, as it turns out to be worn off on all the tags - great bras, terrible tags!  (Oh look - another peeve.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Thanks, y'all.  I've looked at those websites, and in the bra descriptions, they all seem to say, "foam cups", and that's my problem.  I'm not a fan of the molded cups -- I prefer unlined or lightly lined at best. <sigh>  Just another one of those things that shouldn't be so hard.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Thanks, y'all.  I've looked at those websites, and in the bra descriptions, they all seem to say, "foam cups", and that's my problem.  I'm not a fan of the molded cups -- I prefer unlined or lightly lined at best. <sigh>

Weird; most of mine are unlined, and those with any lining have just one thin layer - no molding foam.  I looked up my most boring bras, figuring they'd be the most widely available, and this Lumiere says "2-ply"; looking at my bra, the second ply is an interior thin layer of "solid" mesh under the exterior layer of patterned mesh.  No foam!  Same with this Wacoal - just two thin mesh layers, no foam.  This Chantelle bra is crazy comfortable, also with just a little bit of mesh lining.

Getting less boring, here are two of my favorites from Chantelle, both unlined.

(As you can see, other than the brand I can't remember, Chantelle is my favorite.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I also buy my bras from Bare Necessities when they have sales, which are pretty frequent. They also allow coupon codes that are easy to find. Freya, Fantasie and Panache have very well-made unlined bras. My most recent purchase was an unlined bra made by Birdsong, who I'd never heard of, but it has amazing side support, which I need due to weight gain and dense/heavy breasts. I'm at about 40FF/G now, depending on the bra/brand. I've had several weight fluctuations over the past 15 years or so, but my cup size stays about the same.

I was sized at Nordstrom about 15 years ago, and that taught me how to shop for myself. I'm now certain I'd been wearing too-small bras my entire life up to that point.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

What is up with losing weight and only changing band size, but not cup size? Same thing happened to me. I was actually pretty annoyed about it. 

@Browncoat, there are quite a few Wacoal bras at Nordstrom that don’t have foam. The Perfect Primer Underwire is one. Steer clear of their tshirt bras, which usually are foam cups.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I have two arms, two legs, and two butt cheeks. 

But only one bloodstream and immune system.  Although the shingles and flu vaccines are supposed to be fine administered at the same time.  Maybe something special about your overall medical condition?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

Oy, same. And I have dense tissue so I can lose weight and my cup size doesn't change

Yes. I do envy my sister's barely-there boobs. She can wear anything and look good. 
But many years ago shopping with her the one time together as adults in Filene's Basement in Chicago I did get to vicariously enjoy finding a cute, yellow bralette that she bought for herself. I wished there was more than one so I could savor the moment
--vicariously, only, of course.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

some of my favorite brands are Lunaire, Chantelle, Wacoal

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I prefer unlined or lightly lined at best.

Yes. This page has a few with wide straps and no padding: https://us.chantelle.com/collection/soft-stretch/bras.html
But nothing tempting me to buy at this time. 
But thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! I just added a new "Bras" category to my Google Drive doc "Links" in case I get invited to another wedding or something.

26 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't have anything hinky going on.   I am clean as a whistle, inside and out.  Maybe they just didn't want to give me both shots at once.

I totally forgot it was flu shot season again!
I recall when I got my Shingles shots some years back that they offered me the flu shot at the same time. Even encouraged it.
Maybe they were running low on them? Or in a hurry? Or protocols have changed? 
I hope it's the last, because the others would mean they weren't being honest with you.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

And those don't come in my size (which is not large).

There are others that do come in smaller sizes; this, for example, I would wear the hell out of if it was right for me.  I like this one, too.  And this one is simple but cute.

Here's a link to all the Chantelle unlined bras; out of 183 results, hopefully there are a decent number that come in your size!

• Useful 1
48 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes. I do envy my sister's barely-there boobs. She can wear anything and look good. 
But many years ago shopping with her the one time together as adults in Filene's Basement in Chicago I did get to vicariously enjoy finding a cute, yellow bralette that she bought for herself. I wished there was more than one so I could savor the moment
--vicariously, only, of course.

Cosabella has the best bralettes for DD+ cup sizes. They come in many fun colors as well. Pricy, but worth it.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

What is up with losing weight and only changing band size, but not cup size? Same thing happened to me. I was actually pretty annoyed about it. 

My doctor says estrogen dominant women tend to have denser breast tissue and it's harder to lose weight there. I lost fat around my ribs, hence the band size shrinking, but my stupid dense boobs didn't go down at all. I need to get fitted again because my 32DDD now has a loose band but my cups runneth over, so I think I'm closer to a 28E now. I imagine that size is even harder to find and stupid expensive. My dream boobs are a 32B, which I'm hoping to achieve via insurance covered surgery at some point.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Well I've never even filled an A cup and that's annoying. When I get a mammogram they always have to practically pinch my nipples to get any kind of look. Hard to take a picture of a flat board.

I used to be a 34 A and loved it! Rarely had to wear a bra (and didn't all the way through high school and college - my hippie years). Had my son at age 35 and breast fed so now I am a 34B and slightly droopy but I still really, really hate bras, particularly those with underwires (feels like a torture device). What works best for me are these sort of bralettes made by Fruit of the Loom (just plain cotton with spaghetti straps) designed (I think) for adolescent girls and they come in packs of three at Walmart (various colors and white). They offer enough coverage and a bit of support and the white ones are not at all transparent so if you are wearing a sheer blouse they are perfectly modest. No clasps, they go through the regular wash just fine and it takes several years to stretch one out.  And yes, mammograms are not fun as the techs always have a hard time getting enough under those panels without endless tugging and such.

• Love 4

I have been wearing those pullover stretchy bras too for the most part since the start of this pandemic shitshow — those or just the cheapo spaghetti-strap tops with a shelf bra in it. Working from home has pretty much ended the “wash in a net bag and hang dry” routine over here! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, emma675 said:

My doctor says estrogen dominant women tend to have denser breast tissue and it's harder to lose weight there. I lost fat around my ribs, hence the band size shrinking, but my stupid dense boobs didn't go down at all. I need to get fitted again because my 32DDD now has a loose band but my cups runneth over, so I think I'm closer to a 28E now. I imagine that size is even harder to find and stupid expensive. My dream boobs are a 32B, which I'm hoping to achieve via insurance covered surgery at some point.

I'm a 32B or 32C depending on my weight. Wish we could trade! My dream is 32DDD. 

Seriously though, I'm sorry to those of you dealing with back pain. I'd also imagine bras can be tricky. I struggle finding 32C ones sometimes. 

15 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

How in the hell do you even get four pair of tights ON???!!??

I wonder if layer 1 is like a spanx-like shapewear compression tights, layer 2 is like an opaque legging to hide the spanx, layer 3 is the shiny hose (the thing I got), and layer 4 is the fishnets.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't have anything hinky going on.   I am clean as a whistle, inside and out.  Maybe they just didn't want to give me both shots at once.

I received my first shingles & flu shots simultaneously a couple years ago.  Perhaps it's a Walgreen's corporate lawyer thing?  Mine was given at our local supermarket's pharmacy.

1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm a 32B or 32C depending on my weight. Wish we could trade! My dream is 32DDD

You lucky perfect size boob people have no idea how annoying big boobs are. Gravity takes its toll sooner on big boobs and perkiness is soon a thing of the past and it doesn't matter how small your frame is, you have to buy the size that fits your boobs. I'm a size 6 or medium in tops, yet there's no way that size fits my chest. I would love to buy bralettes or bras off the rack at stores but there's nothing that fits. I also have awful posture because of the weight and because I developed early and had no idea what to do with them, lol.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Maybe there should be a whole Spanx top-to-bottom suit! Or would that just be a skin-toned wetsuit?

Actually, I was considering buying a wet suit (I love to do open water swimming and live in the north) and I don't think they're that tight. Apparently they keep you warm by allowing a thin layer of water next to your skin, which heats up from your body heat.
It looks like a top-to-bottom Spanx could be called a "full bodysuit."

• Useful 1

My peeve today is promotions that say free delivery when in actuality, yeah sure there's a fee you call "delivery fee" and yup it's been waived with the promo, but oh wait, there's this service fee...and an operations fee...and just a bucketfull of fees that disappear if I switch to pick-up. So, it's not really free delivery is it? It's "no fee named delivery fee, but still a bunch of other fees that only apply when selecting delivery". In other words, they're fucking delivery fees. That's not free delivery. It's one fee fewer than usual delivery.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

My peeve today is promotions that say free delivery when in actuality, yeah sure there's a fee you call "delivery fee" and yup it's been waived with the promo, but oh wait, there's this service fee...and an operations fee...and just a bucketfull of fees that disappear if I switch to pick-up. So, it's not really free delivery is it? It's "no fee named delivery fee, but still a bunch of other fees that only apply when selecting delivery". In other words, they're fucking delivery fees. That's not free delivery. It's one fee fewer than usual delivery.

That's why I never order meal delivery. There are several fees that add up to a hefty sum, plus I'm still supposed to add a tip for the driver. I'm usually just ordering for one, so the delivery fee and tip would amount to 40-50% of the price of the meal. That's why I've cooked 99.99% of my meals myself since the pandemic started. I refuse to pay the ridiculous delivery fees (or whatever the hidden fees are called), and if I'm going to take the time to drive to the restaurant to pick up the food, I might as well take the time to cook it myself.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 5
On 9/5/2021 at 5:52 PM, Lady Whistleup said:

Well I've never even filled an A cup and that's annoying. When I get a mammogram they always have to practically pinch my nipples to get any kind of look. Hard to take a picture of a flat board.

I’m a bit bigger - 30B - but my boobs are super dense and due to my genetic health condition, I am considered higher risk.  I’ve been having mammos since I was 37 (42 now).  I also need breast MRIs and at times, ultrasounds.  Nothing like gel on boobies.

Bras are near impossible to find. I basically wear three brands:  The Little Bra Company, Pepper (which I recently discovered) and Knix for sports bras (they only started carrying XS), 

• Useful 2
On 9/2/2021 at 2:14 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

I'm going back to good old Betty Crocker.

Betty's never let me down. I got a BC cookbook as a bridal shower gift 31 years ago, every recipe from it was fantastic. I purchased a newer BC cookbook 2 years ago and it's even better. I've tried a couple recipes off of Pinterest and Food Network but they were either overly complicated or not that good. I stick with the tried and true.

My pet peeve today: those who are coming back to work now that schools have started and apparently forgot how to drive. The expressway I use has been wonderful for the last 18 months and now it is going back to the "oops, forgot my exit is here" and "I'll just sit in the middle lane going 45mph as long as i darn well please" and "Who needs a blinker, you should know I need to change lanes!" Gah!!! I haven't missed these folks!!!!!!!

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

My pet peeve today: those who are coming back to work now that schools have started and apparently forgot how to drive. The expressway I use has been wonderful for the last 18 months and now it is going back to the "oops, forgot my exit is here" and "I'll just sit in the middle lane going 45mph as long as i darn well please" and "Who needs a blinker, you should know I need to change lanes!" Gah!!! I haven't missed these folks!!!!!!!

Makes me happy to have switched to a 100% remote job recently (which will stay remote forever).

• Love 5

I can't decide if this is a peeve or a laugh. The last two packages I've ordered from different places have been sent via USPS. I live in Texas and one package was coming from Florida and one from Seattle. Both have literally crossed the US before arriving at my house. The Seattle one flew to Brooklyn first and the Florida one went to California first. Mind you, both arrived on time, I just can't figure out why they flew over my state first before coming back around. I'm jealous my mail is traveling more than I am right now.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1

Darn.  I recently had a bone density scan and it showed decreased mass.  A lot of this is genetics, but more has to do with the anti-convulsants I take for epilepsy.  So now I have to take calcium supplements and increase my vitamin D intake.  :( Getting old.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, emma675 said:

I can't decide if this is a peeve or a laugh. The last two packages I've ordered from different places have been sent via USPS. I live in Texas and one package was coming from Florida and one from Seattle. Both have literally crossed the US before arriving at my house. The Seattle one flew to Brooklyn first and the Florida one went to California first. Mind you, both arrived on time, I just can't figure out why they flew over my state first before coming back around. I'm jealous my mail is traveling more than I am right now.

Here it is nearing the end of the swimming outdoors season in the north, so I paid extra to have my swimsuit arrive in 1-2 days instead of 4-7. It didn't say "business days" (which annoyed me because I knew that's what they meant).
I signed up for message alerts and if I didn't get any I logged in to see where it was.

The day I ordered the swimsuit, it left a warehouse 2 hours away from me, allegedly on a truck. 
Then I got messages for 2 days saying it was "delayed." 
So I'm wondering if the truck driver broke down, or meth addicts stole my swimsuit or...? 
After taking a trip several hours in the wrong direction and spending another night on the road, it finally arrived, taking 5 business days.

The thing is, my son-in-law would have gladly driven to that warehouse to pick it up just to have somewhere to go.
(When one of my other daughters missed her flight to his and her sister's wedding, he drove 10 hours the day before the wedding to get her so his bride/my youngest daughter would be happy.)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Darn.  I recently had a bone density scan and it showed decreased mass.  A lot of this is genetics, but more has to do with the anti-convulsants I take for epilepsy.  So now I have to take calcium supplements and increase my vitamin D intake.  :( Getting old.

For me it's caused by genetics, age, and probably spending most of 12 years being either pregnant or breastfeeding without adequate calcium in my diet. Last year, 20 years after having my first "osteoporosis" diagnosis, my doctor said I had the worst bone density she had ever seen. 

But wait! There's good news! 
I can float on water like a cork. 
When I was young, my feet sank to the bottom, now I'm like thistle down on the waves.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 3
15 hours ago, theatremouse said:

eBay screwed all the buyers when they did the whole "free shipping" promo for sellers. The idiots couldn't see what was going to happen? The sellers just added the cost of shipping to the price of the item & listed it with "free shipping". Buyers were still paying the same, and then sellers started listing things with shipping costs, but they didn't lower the price so now everything costs more. I really don't understand who is running eBay, but they're stupid.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, GaT said:

eBay screwed all the buyers when they did the whole "free shipping" promo for sellers. The idiots couldn't see what was going to happen? The sellers just added the cost of shipping to the price of the item & listed it with "free shipping". Buyers were still paying the same, and then sellers started listing things with shipping costs, but they didn't lower the price so now everything costs more. I really don't understand who is running eBay, but they're stupid.

I would guess this is what eBay intended.  Their motive is not to keep pricing down for the buyer.  Their motive is to increase their profits by increasing transactions (which promos do) and increasing commissions (which higher sales prices do).

This is a thing as old as time. The promo that doesn't save you anything that also lets the base price point shift up.  All the while the consumer deludes themselves into thinking they got themselves a deal.

17 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Coming from a place of not believing you get anything for free, I prefer the "free delivery" has an extra charge relative to pick up even if they don't call it that.  Because why should the people not using the delivery service have to subsidize the cost for people who do?

I can see the peeve about truth in advertising but its really just a distinction on whether they are lying to your face or behind your back.

Actually, maybe even scratch all that.  I bet there are instances where store pick up is more expensive and they probably just figure that people will pay for the cost of convenience.

I say this because I find it bizarre that my grocery store has two online prices and its usually that the shipping is cheaper and free for household goods.

Quoted from @shapeshifter (my quoter isn’t working!): It looks like a top-to-bottom Spanx could be called a "full bodysuit."

Or “the Ed Gein.” (I’m sorry, I’m terrible—and also currently wearing a T-shirt that says “Buffalo Bill’s Body Lotion.”)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Peeve:

Getting older and not being able to eat the foods I once did without backfiring all over the place.  There are only so many times I can get away with it by blaming my pets. 

We have a new rescue kitten and when she farts, she looks really surprised and turns and looks at her butt like WTF was that?

• LOL 19

My stupid peeve involves those email notifications to let you know when an item you want is back in stock.

So we were planning to have a party around now (we won't because the crappy weather and the delta variant set everything back), and I decided to get a couple of those beverage dispensers with the spout. I found one that I really liked, and although it's branded as BH&G, it's distributed by Walmart and only Walmart. Apparently everyone else likes it, too, so every time I went to order, they were out of stock. I signed up for an email notification starting months ago, and each time I got a notification, as soon as I went to snap them up, they were out of stock again. Sometimes I'd get an email at two in the morning and go to the site if I happened to be awake, and within five minutes I'd get the "Out of Stock" sign again. Somehow I eventually managed to snag two of them, in two separate orders. One of them has already been delivered, so they can't take that away from me.

Then today I get an email saying that the other one is back-ordered. Either I'll get a notice telling me when it will be delivered or . . . letting me know the order's been canceled. Canceled? After all that work?!

I know this is a very First World problem, but why do they tell people the item is back in stock if they've restocked with maybe half a dozen of them and they know the demand is high? Nothing goes out of stock within five minutes if there are enough of them on the shelves.

This is a ridiculously long post for such a petty problem, but jeez.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

We have a new rescue kitten and when she farts, she looks really surprised and turns and looks at her butt like WTF was that?

Unfortunately, one of my cats has a tendency to poot when she’s happy. When she purrs loudly, there is likely a toot just waiting to happen. She refuses to acknowledge that she is the source.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

I found this on the interwebs last night and hope it doesn't violate any forum policies or anyone's religious sensibilities (this is SO my pet peeve, being 4'11" and having to watch every single bit of incoming food for my entire adult life):

image.png.e4856a5ad2b9e40d3657bb99b0ebda4f.png

• LOL 20
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm amazed re: these kittens breaking wind. I've had several cats ever since I was a kid and never noticed that. We now have a huge Maine Coon cat who scarfs down her food but never poots. Dogs? Yeah!!

• Love 3