Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

I believe if you don’t agree with something someone says, say nothing.  I’ve gotten in a lot of trouble defending myself.  It’s hard, but it saves a lot of aggravation.

Agree. For me it also depends on the relationship with the person and what that opinion is. Most of the time, it's really not worth the energy. 

I generally don't care what random people think. If it's someone in my life, I think, am I close enough to this person for it to even be worth a debate? If I think someone means well, I usually don't care if they have a different outlook. Once I see someone is just not nice, I cut them out, if I can anyway. 

I posted about this before but, I did cut someone out of my life this year. She's someone who used to be very sweet to me, would build me up more than my own family, someone I confided in. She is someone who seems nice to others at first. She loves her husband, her siblings, her children, is friends with people at her church. We got into different discussions where I'd become more and more frustrated. I'd tell myself it's okay, she has different views on religion. It's okay, she has different views on politics. She's a little older, she's not going to see the world the same way. After a lot of discussions, I just gave up on her. The woman is VERY racist. She's not someone I was best friends with, but she was someone I'd known and liked for years. I never knew how trash some of her views were until the culture became more political and race became a bigger topic. She'd say she was tired of being called racist, but she'd say she would never want her kids to get with anyone of another race, that black men were like this and that. She'd get annoyed by the attention different police shootings would get. She was obsessed with race, quick to call out what she considered victimhood mentality of others, yet she considered herself a victim because her views aren't as acceptable as they used to be. And she's also someone who downplays covid and would get annoyed by people who take precautions. What ticks me off is this woman has such a great life. I like to believe in karma and that you get what you give, but I know so many sweethearts who don't have half of what she has. 

Taking it back to the topic, that's probably another pet peeve. I do think what you put out into the world makes a difference, I really do. I think if you're nice, work hard and try to do good, things will tend to go your way. Even though I don't wish anyone bad health or divorce or loss of friends or money or whatever, it does annoy me to see horrible people with everything and sweet souls who don't have much. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, icemiser69 said:

I also blame anti-bullying campaigns and cancel culture.  I think those two have a lot in common.

Anti-bullying campaigns should be all about building people up into being self-sufficient and confident individuals without tearing others down.  People have to be taught how to fight their own battles without having to rely on others to do it for them.  If they don't learn to fight their own battles they will forever be victims.

YMMV but as a high school teacher I am strongly for anti-bullying campaigns because I have seen how kids can be derailed by bullying. They get depressed, stop coming to school. If I see bullying I put a stop to it or I try. 

Also, people who are bullies -- often that's a huge red flag for some major home dysfunction. Seen it too many times. Dad beats mom up at home, kid comes to school angry and bullies other classmates.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

. She was obsessed with race, quick to call out what she considered victimhood mentality of others, yet she considered herself a victim because her views aren't as acceptable as they used to be. And she's also someone who downplays covid and would get annoyed by people who take precautions. What ticks me off is this woman has such a great life. I like to believe in karma and that you get what you give, but I know so many sweethearts who don't have half of what she has. 

In a way, she has instant karma. I mean, she sounds pretty miserable in spite of all her wealth and family. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, BexKeps said:

@Anela, I feel your pain. There is someone who I really admired, I thought she was kind and smart and well-educated. I looked forward to her FB posts because they were positive and funny and sometimes enlightening. Then covid started and she became....well, kind of a nut. It has changed how I look at her now and I no longer follow her on FB because she is constantly posting misinformation and while she asks for others to be tolerant of her and her "freedom of choice" to not be vaccinated, she will chastise anyone who has chosen to be vaccinated for "being sheep." In her view you can only 'live and let live' as long as you do it her way. So sad.

These people have some nerve calling other people sheep when they are parroting each other and what they hear from sources known to have a specific bias. I especially hate when they learn a buzzword — like HIPAA or approval (in the FDA sense) — and that’s as far as the go before using it nonstop to chastise everyone; they don’t bother learn more about the actual terms of HIPAA or how many other things in life are not FDA approved.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

YMMV but as a high school teacher I am strongly for anti-bullying campaigns because I have seen how kids can be derailed by bullying. They get depressed, stop coming to school. If I see bullying I put a stop to it or I try. 

Also, people who are bullies -- often that's a huge red flag for some major home dysfunction. Seen it too many times. Dad beats mom up at home, kid comes to school angry and bullies other classmates.

As someone who was ruthlessly bullied all through school, and into adulthood, thank you.

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Anti-bullying campaigns should be all about building people up into being self-sufficient and confident individuals without tearing others down.  People have to be taught how to fight their own battles without having to rely on others to do it for them.  If they don't learn to fight their own battles they will forever be victims.

I have often mentioned how I was bullied through my grade school years from beginning to end from at least a dozen classmates.  I know what would have worked, and what wouldn't have worked given my situations and that was from the 70's through the early to mid 80s.  What doesn't work is any situation where the bullied individual doesn't feel empowered, knowing that he or she can't go wherever he or she wants to go and can't do whatever he or she wants do without fear, when there is no one around to step in to protect them.  Sooner or later they have to be able to stand up for themselves, and need to be taught the tools to do so.  Bullies (for the most part) can't be reasoned with, they get off on making people suffer.  They get off on humiliating people.

Let's not blame the victim. Bullying is 100% on the bully and all the coping mechanisms, the ability to stand up for oneself makes no difference in many circumstances. It takes intervention from an adult (when there is a minor involved) or other adults when its adult on adult bullying to step in and say something and stand up for the victim in addition to the victim attempting to stand up for themselves. There is power in numbers.  

Gaslighting is a form of bullying that runs rampant in adulthood and until others call out the gaslighter it will never stop. Leaving the situation isn't always an option, and why should the victim be the one that has to leave, why are they the one to be ostracized and blamed for being bullied? Not ok.

7 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I believe if you don’t agree with something someone says, say nothing.  I’ve gotten in a lot of trouble defending myself.  It’s hard, but it saves a lot of aggravation.

It really depends on the topic. I'm not going to keep my mouth shut when it comes to a slew of issues that can't be discussed here. I will always call out a racist or bigoted comment and nearly made someone tuck and roll out of my moving car for dropping the N-word shortly after I moved here.

4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

They aren't softening.  Things are getting worse, and will continue to get worse until people can learn to agree to disagree and still remain friends.

I suppose "agree to disagree" is a huge peeve of mine, because it implies (to me) that one has to be OK with things they learn about the other person as a friendship goes on. There is disagreeing about pineapple on pizza and being friends, or if PSL is the best thing ever, and being friends. I won't remain friends with someone who I learned has a fundamentally difference in morality and ethics than I do and that is 110% ok.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 23
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

These people have some nerve calling other people sheep when they are parroting each other and what they hear from sources known to have a specific bias. I especially hate when they learn a buzzword — like HIPAA or approval (in the FDA sense) — and that’s as far as the go before using it nonstop to chastise everyone; they don’t bother learn more about the actual terms of HIPAA or how many other things in life are not FDA approved.

Ok if I have to look at the "FDA Approved: Opioids; Not FDA Approved: Raw Milk" meme one more time circulating today I will scream. I've seen it circulated at least 5 times.

Opioids have a genuine use for end-stage cancer patients or people rehabilitating from pain. Opioids are dangerous because of their addictive quality but in small doses they can be very therapeutic.

Raw milk is not FDA approved because pasteurized milk is safer and cleaner. Really not rocket science here.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Ok if I have to look at the "FDA Approved: Opioids; Not FDA Approved: Raw Milk" meme one more time circulating today I will scream. I've seen it circulated at least 5 times.

Opioids have a genuine use for end-stage cancer patients or people rehabilitating from pain. Opioids are dangerous because of their addictive quality but in small doses they can be very therapeutic.

Raw milk is not FDA approved because pasteurized milk is safer and cleaner. Really not rocket science here.

You know what isn't FDA approved? The air we breathe. It can be clean, or it can be polluted, but it's not like we can stop breathing.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
56 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

On a much lighter peeve note, my house has an odor to it and I can't figure out what it is. I cleaned this weekend, took out the trash, scrubbed, soaked and changed the litter box. Next up is changing the air filter.

Do you have a laundry room in your house?  A few years ago I started noticing a smell and couldn't figure out what it was.  Changing the filter to an odour reducing one helped but eventually the smell would come back.  Anyway eventually I finally tracked it down and it turned out the smell was coming from the pipes attached to the washing machine.  I put some vinegar  (or bleach? blanking out now on what I used, something strong!) directly down it and then made sure to do that on a regular basis afterwards.  Smell gone.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

On a much lighter peeve note, my house has an odor to it and I can't figure out what it is. I cleaned this weekend, took out the trash, scrubbed, soaked and changed the litter box. Next up is changing the air filter.

Do you have carpets? Maybe a steam cleaning would help (says the lunatic who, on a whim, decided she must own a carpet steamer on Sunday and ran right out to buy one).

Our place generally smells perfectly fine, but I have the deadly combination of a super-sensitive nose and an obsessive need to “fix” whatever it is I (think I may) smell, even if it’s just the power of my own suggestion (or neuroses). Meaning, if I decide that MAYBE the carpet is musty, I’m off to an appliance store for a carpet cleaner, haha! In other words, sometimes just taking a measure like that makes me feel satisfied that I corrected it. (I got a good deal though! And I am so mad that I didn’t just do it months ago, when I rented one of those giant nightmares and then had to rush to finish so I could lug it back to the store by the deadline!)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

super-sensitive nose

I'm pretty sure in a game of Sniff Off that I'd win, LOL. 
Every morning at 4:30a.m. I can smell the neighbor's shampoo. 
Even though I've lived here for 7 months, I can still smell the Febreeze-type "deodorizer" under the kitchen sink, in the drawer and cupboard adjacent to the kitchen sink, and in the faucet and drain when I first run the water. It's decreased a lot, but I still can't keep my garbage container under the sink because that would mean having to open that door frequently and let the deodorizer escape. I read that there are some sort of sticks of deodorizer sold to put in sink drains. Maybe that's it. I have looked everywhere (with a mask on) and can't find anything.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

As someone who was ruthlessly bullied all through school, and into adulthood, thank you.

Let's not blame the victim. Bullying is 100% on the bully and all the coping mechanisms, the ability to stand up for oneself makes no difference in many circumstances. It takes intervention from an adult (when there is a minor involved) or other adults when its adult on adult bullying to step in and say something and stand up for the victim in addition to the victim attempting to stand up for themselves. There is power in numbers.  

Gaslighting is a form of bullying that runs rampant in adulthood and until others call out the gaslighter it will never stop. Leaving the situation isn't always an option, and why should the victim be the one that has to leave, why are they the one to be ostracized and blamed for being bullied? Not ok.

It really depends on the topic. I'm not going to keep my mouth shut when it comes to a slew of issues that can't be discussed here. I will always call out a racist or bigoted comment and nearly made someone tuck and roll out of my moving car for dropping the N-word shortly after I moved here.

I suppose "agree to disagree" is a huge peeve of mine, because it implies (to me) that one has to be OK with things they learn about the other person as a friendship goes on. There is disagreeing about pineapple on pizza and being friends, or if PSL is the best thing ever, and being friends. I won't remain friends with someone who I learned has a fundamentally difference in morality and ethics than I do and that is 110% ok.

Agree with you about bullying.

I also agree with you that it depends on the topic, if it's worth the aggravation.  

I never thought about agree to disagree that way. When I personally say agree to disagree, it's normally when a disagreement isn't getting anywhere, just saying let's agree that neither one of us is going to change our opinion.

I do feel the same way when someone says that different opinions shouldn't be friendship dealbreakers when those opinions are about things that pertain to morality and ethics. If your interests are different from mine, no problem. If your opinions lead me to believe you're not a good person, there's a problem.  

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 10

Agree to disagree is fine when it's a debate of opinion, both parties have thoroughly explained what they believe and why, and further discussion would be fruitless, so it's time to just move on to something else because "I see what you're saying, but I disagree" is as productive as the conversation is ever going to get.

When it's thrown out by someone who is arguing something that is factually incorrect, doubling down when the error is pointed out, and then trying to flounce off with "We'll just have to agree to disagree," though, no.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but no one is entitled to their own facts.

If someone thinks five is a better number than four, so the world would be a better place if two plus two equaled five, I can entertain that discussion.  But if someone claims two plus two does equal five, I'm not going to just shrug that off as an opinion I don't share.

• Useful 1
  • Love 21
20 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Aw, I'm so sorry honey. I agree, that's not a friend. Friends should take up for you, not attack you like that. 

11 hours ago, BexKeps said:

@Anela, I feel your pain. There is someone who I really admired, I thought she was kind and smart and well-educated. I looked forward to her FB posts because they were positive and funny and sometimes enlightening. Then covid started and she became....well, kind of a nut. It has changed how I look at her now and I no longer follow her on FB because she is constantly posting misinformation and while she asks for others to be tolerant of her and her "freedom of choice" to not be vaccinated, she will chastise anyone who has chosen to be vaccinated for "being sheep." In her view you can only 'live and let live' as long as you do it her way. So sad.

Thank you. We've only argued once before, and it was Spring of last year, when everything was crazy, and I said so. I felt like I was losing my mind, because of everything that I can't talk about here. 

I have tried to put friendship before everything else, but it's gone too far. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Agree to disagree is fine when it's a debate of opinion, both parties have thoroughly explained what they believe and why, and further discussion would be fruitless, so it's time to just move on to something else because "I see what you're saying, but I disagree" is as productive as the conversation is ever going to get.

When it's thrown out by someone who is arguing something that is factually incorrect, doubling down when the error is pointed out, and then trying to flounce off with "We'll just have to agree to disagree," though, no.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but no one is entitled to their own facts.

If someone thinks five is a better number than four, so the world would be a better place if two plus two equaled five, I can entertain that discussion.  But if someone claims two plus two does equal five, I'm not going to just shrug that off as an opinion I don't share.

Yeah I see that a lot with the covid vaccine refusers. They always say "I'm entitled to my opinion and we can agree to disagree" but when they insist that vaccines have a higher death rate than covid, when they say that children die from wearing a mask, when they insist that the vaccine is the mark of the devil and that only "godless" people get it, then no, we don't agree to disagree. You're just living in your own fact-free bubble. 

• Love 15

Mini pet peeve: I'm involved in several DEI initiatives at work, and today, for the umpteenth time since last year, I heard someone say that "allyship is a verb." Now, obviously I think allyship is very important, but it's most certainly not a verb. The word "ally" can be used either as a noun or a verb, but "allyship" is strictly a noun (just like "friendship" and "relationship"). I have never corrected anyone who said it because I worry about creating the perception that I'm dismissive of allyship. But, as someone who's learned English as a second language, it really irks me when native speakers misuse their own language like that.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

In a way, she has instant karma. I mean, she sounds pretty miserable in spite of all her wealth and family. 

Good point. Things aren't always as they seem either. 

Another pet peeve . . .

I posted about not being able to dance due to covid, and I'm still having a hard time finding covid-friendly hobbies.

I think baking is so fun, and it's nice being creative and working on a skill, but I don't have many people to bake for right now. :( My little bubble of people is either not the most healthy (diabetic, overweight) or healthy but not super into sweets. 

Edited by RealHousewife
4 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Mini pet peeve: I'm involved in several DEI initiatives at work, and today, for the umpteenth time since last year, I heard someone say that "allyship is a verb." Now, obviously I think allyship is very important, but it's most certainly not a verb. The word "ally" can be used either as a noun or a verb, but "allyship" is strictly a noun (just like "friendship" and "relationship"). I have never corrected anyone who said it because I worry about creating the perception that I'm dismissive of allyship. But, as someone who's learned English as a second language, it really irks me when native speakers misuse their own language like that.

And a lot of those DEI people are in a world of their own.  I’ve brought up linguistic challenges before and they were really dismissive of it.  I think it was only more recently that they have become open (after hearing about some communities having more trouble getting accurate vaccine information), if at all.  So yeah, I wouldn’t have bothered either.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Probably the people who say "allyship" is a verb don't mean it's grammatically a verb, but rather that "allyship" requires action. 
I wonder if there's some meme out there proclaiming "Allyship is a verb!" 😕 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but no one is entitled to their own facts.

For the life of me, I could not think of this quote last night. 

8 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

You're just living in your own fact-free bubble.

I  like to say "science doesn't care about your opinion".

Thanks to those who had suggestions on my "house smell". I am going to get some fabric cleaner to clean my couch and swiffer under my couch, again in addition to replacing the air filter. The smell is both up and down stairs so I'm hoping that is the culprit. It's also been disgusting out and I haven't had any windows open because I don't need to cool the outside but I think I may need to do that this weekend, too. 

• Love 3

It happened again the other day: I went into a restaurant (masked) and suddenly nature called but when I finished heeding said call: NO TP in the bathroom! ARGHH!!!

Luckily, I had Kleenex in my pocket which worked in a pinch but, really folks ,that should be the FIRST thing anyone makes sure is stocked  in any eating establishment when going over any    'to do' list. 

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, Blergh said:

It happened again the other day: I went into a restaurant (masked) and suddenly nature called but when I finished heeding said call: NO TP in the bathroom! ARGHH!!!

Luckily, I had Kleenex in my pocket which worked in a pinch but, really folks ,that should be the FIRST thing anyone makes sure is stocked  in any eating establishment when going over any    'to do' list. 

The soap dispenser at the club I work out at STILL hasn't been replenished for at least two sinks!!!  I finally told the person at the front desk and she said she'd let maintenance know immediately.  So maintenance hasn't been checking?

1 minute ago, PRgal said:

The soap dispenser at the club I work out at STILL hasn't been replenished for at least two sinks!!!  I finally told the person at the front desk and she said she'd let maintenance know immediately.  So maintenance hasn't been checking?

My husband works in a hospital forgodssake and for the last year he and his colleagues have been providing their own soap for the employee bathroom they use.  I am hoping the bathrooms in the main part of the hospital are better stocked than what they provide for the 'behind the scenes' people working there!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Probably the people who say "allyship" is a verb don't mean it's grammatically a verb, but rather that "allyship" requires action. 
I wonder if there's some meme out there proclaiming "Allyship is a verb!" 😕 

In every context I've heard it, that's exactly what was meant. They're not arguing that the word is literally a verb; they're implying "unless you're doing the work, the noun is nonexistent". I don't like the expression because it's reliant on subtext and can be interpreted literally as nonsense, which undermines the point trying to be made. So, yeah, it's an ineffective phrase for tons of reasons.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Peeve:

The chickenshitification of society.

Life isn't without risk.  Everything we do in life has some level of risk. We can't avoid it, we can't run from it, we have to accept it.  The more we embrace risk the better people are able to deal with things when things don't go as planned.

People can't succeed unless they are willing to assume the risk of possibly failing.

Life is change. That's all it is. Without change there is entropy.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Thanks to those who had suggestions on my "house smell". I am going to get some fabric cleaner to clean my couch and swiffer under my couch, again in addition to replacing the air filter. The smell is both up and down stairs so I'm hoping that is the culprit. It's also been disgusting out and I haven't had any windows open because I don't need to cool the outside but I think I may need to do that this weekend, too. 

I ran a small load in my washer with just water and white vinegar. Can't use bleach as it is bad for the septic tank. Lo and behold the weird smell in my laundry area is gone!! That is going to become a regular routine! Thanks to whoever gave the suggestion of bleach or vinegar! 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I have a frontloader machine, and that awful mildewy smell has been an issue since the beginning. I tried vinegar, which didn't do it for me. Also baking soda and several other remedies. No dice. Then I tried some odor remover meant to treat hunters' clothes so the animals they're after don't sense their presence. It didn't work on the washer, but my husband never knows when I come into the room. (That's a joke.) Finally I got some commercial treatment thing, and that seems to do the trick. I think it's Tide, but I'll check the name tomorrow. I find that the best thing, though, is just to leave the washer door open all the time so it doesn't start to smell in the first place and wipe down the rubber gasket around the door where water tends to collect.

If you don't have a frontloader, then all the above was completely irrelevant.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Mondrianyone said:

I find that the best thing, though, is just to leave the washer door open all the time so it doesn't start to smell in the first place

This is what I've heard pretty much everyone I know with a front-loading washer say needs to happen.

Which means I'll probably never have one unless the top-loading units go extinct; I can't close the door from my kitchen to my laundry room, as my cat's feeding station is in there and her litter box is in the half bath off of it, so whenever I was in the kitchen I'd see the partially open door - which would be substantially open, because my cat would come along, see it open a bit, and promptly open it more so she could get in - and it would bug me (I'm not particularly anal, but that's one of those silly little things that I wouldn't be able to ignore).  I guess I could put a kitty door in that door, keep it closed, and make her crawl through that, but then the heated/cooled air from the kitchen wouldn't carry in there, so at some times of year it would be too hot or too cold in there for her.

File that under bridge I'll cross if I ever get to it.

• Love 2

I have a top loader maybe 15 years old. I live alone so it hasn't gotten a huge amount of use but the smell was annoying me. I am on a septic system so have to be very careful that all cleaning products are septic safe. Bleach a big NO NO vinegar is Ok and did work for me.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I ran a small load in my washer with just water and white vinegar. Can't use bleach as it is bad for the septic tank. Lo and behold the weird smell in my laundry area is gone!! That is going to become a regular routine! Thanks to whoever gave the suggestion of bleach or vinegar! 

Vinegar is a miracle! I clean the floors with it instead of other stuff, mainly because I have no way to stop the bad cats from walking on freshly mopped areas; I don’t want them licking their paws if they stepped on a chemical!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

mainly because I have no way to stop the bad cats from walking on freshly mopped areas

Because they can be sound asleep for an hour, well and truly into a nap that would normally last several hours, oblivious to anything else going on in the house, but you mop a floor and suddenly they're awake, present, and absolutely must walk on that floor.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
On 8/25/2021 at 11:36 PM, Mondrianyone said:

I find that the best thing, though, is just to leave the washer door open all the time so it doesn't start to smell in the first place…

If you don't have a frontloader, then all the above was completely irrelevant.

I always leave the top loader open for that reason. It hadn’t occurred to me that leaving a front loader open could be awkward, but now I can imagine that.

Thanksgiving 2019 (effectively the last Thanksgiving) at my daughter’s, her new mother-in-law and another female relative were wondering about her top-loading washing machine being closed, so I mom-splained it was probably because of her cat (her in-laws are dog people).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Because they can be sound asleep for an hour, well and truly into a nap that would normally last several hours, oblivious to anything else going on in the house, but you mop a floor and suddenly they're awake, present, and absolutely must walk on that floor.

Or, they barf on it. Why, kitty, why?!

• LOL 7
11 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Garth Brooks not being on Spotify. Everyone says how great he is, but it's really not convenient listening to his music. 

He's amazing and a hell of a performer. I saw him in the 90s, in 07(?) when he did a one-off fundraiser to help with the California wildfires and in 2017. You would never know the shows were 20 and 10 years apart, that dude runs around the stage like he's still in his 20s.  He signed with Amazon Music if you want to stream it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Appliance pet peeve - the house we bought last year has stainless steel appliances in the kitchen.  Super trendy and way more high end than I ever would have bought for myself and believe me if they ever need to be replaced it will be with good old white appliances.  I am so sick of how smudgy and just plain unkempt the damn things always look!  I have no intention of adding "wipe down stove, fridge and dishwasher three time a day" to my routine so I live with smudge.  But I'm not happy about it!

• Love 9

I have a top loading washing machine that is relatively new (I got it a few years ago after I accidentally destroyed my previous machine with a pillow that exploded mid-cycle and jammed up the entire inner workings with cotton fluff) and it came with these Affresh tabs that clean it. You're supposed to run a cycle with just one of the Affresh tabs every month and it keeps the stink away. So far, so good. 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Appliance pet peeve - the house we bought last year has stainless steel appliances in the kitchen.  Super trendy and way more high end than I ever would have bought for myself and believe me if they ever need to be replaced it will be with good old white appliances.  I am so sick of how smudgy and just plain unkempt the damn things always look!  I have no intention of adding "wipe down stove, fridge and dishwasher three time a day" to my routine so I live with smudge.  But I'm not happy about it!

Yes! I love my white appliances! My sister got stainless steel fridge, stove and dishwasher and highly regrets it. Of course the prior appliances were avocado green so that's how long it'll take her to replace these. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

Yes! I love my white appliances! My sister got stainless steel fridge, stove and dishwasher and highly regrets it. Of course the prior appliances were avocado green so that's how long it'll take her to replace these. 

I would never have anything but white appliances. When we first bought this house the appliances were all different colors. Avocado stove, brown reefer, white dishwasher, stainless steel microwave. We replaced everything with white. My ritzy mom had her laminate cabinet fronts on all her appliances except the wall ovens. So eighties.

• Love 1

While I do appreciate that bath towels are significantly larger than the ones my family had when I was little, I feel peeved that I can't seem to find any in the older, smaller size. I like them for my hair, and the ones of today (again, much better for drying off and wrapping around oneself) are way too big to try to balance on top of my head!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

While I do appreciate that bath towels are significantly larger than the ones my family had when I was little, I feel peeved that I can't seem to find any in the older, smaller size. I like them for my hair, and the ones of today (again, much better for drying off and wrapping around oneself) are way too big to try to balance on top of my head!

Not only are they too large, they're too fluffy!  I have the same issue.  I used to be able to get smaller, thinner towels at K-Mart, but now I don't even know where to start looking.

I have a top-loading Kenmore washer that I bought for myself for my birthday in 1990.  I've had to have the timer replaced once, but it's still going strong, with no funky odors.  It's in the basement, so I can't leave the top open or spiders will set up housekeeping.  The matching dryer has had to have two new belts (it's probably about due again), but otherwise is also still going strong.  Peeve?  That newer appliances don't last as long as the older ones.

• Love 7

16 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Not only are they too large, they're too fluffy!  I have the same issue.  I used to be able to get smaller, thinner towels at K-Mart, but now I don't even know where to start looking.

Highly recommend the Turbie Twist. It's a uni-tasker hair towel that I swear by after throwing out my back (laid out for a few weeks) flipping my hair into a regular towel years ago.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/the-original-turbie-twist-super-absorbent-hair-towel-in-white-light-pink-set-of-2/1012201079?

Edited by theredhead77
  • Useful 2
17 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

TY, @theredhead77. I do have one, but I generally prefer the towel. However, it would save me some laundry if I just used that!

OOH, I do love a dollar store. I don't recall ever seeing any in ours, but I will look!

We don't have a dollar store around here but when my son first met his now wife, she had one by her house. He could not get over it! I swear it was like Disney Land to him.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

It's crazy! I went nuts buying all kinds of cabinet and drawer organizers and random kitchen stuff. I swear to the gods, someone could get all the basics needed for an empty kitchen for $100. Now  if only I would remember to go there for stuff like gift wrap/gift bags/cards and that kind of incidental. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Or, they barf on it. Why, kitty, why?!

Your cats barf on the floor???? How do you get them to do that? As soon as my cats feel like they're going to barf, they head for the nearest carpet. It doesn't matter if they're in a room with no carpeting & have to run to somewhere else, they find carpet. I would love it if they barfed on the floor instead.

• LOL 12
  • Love 8