Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: Bill's Surgery

• Start Topic

Great episode! I am impressed with Will's and Zoey's ability to not delve into the Hallowe'en candy, and their speaking is a lot clearer. Zoey is really coming out of her shell and the two of them had me laughing out loud. Jen's doing a great job with lots of help.

• Love 1

My heart went out to Jen when she was trying to keep it together and not break down when Bill went into surgery.  With all the tears and fears these two have been through lately, I can totally understand the overwhelming feeling of "it's just too much", as well as the fear of giving in to the tears and not being able to stop.  Bill was her rock, and now she must be his.

It's great that Bill's Mom & stepdad could be there for his recovery (and to keep the kids from damaging Bill!).  They seemed to feel very much at home and looked like they really enjoyed bonding with the kids.

Wow, it never occurred to me that Jen's Sim Center would play such a big part in Ebola training, but now that I've seen it, it makes perfect sense.  Having worked through several Emergency Preparedness training seminars and drills, I think that this type of on-hands experience is invaluable when the real thing comes along.

Halloween trick or treating was such a fun way to end the episode.  Will & Zoey learning the Halloween ropes was pretty darned funny, but they caught on very quickly. 

I am a happy camper once again.

• Love 7

This show was amazing. There was so much substance. Learning about this hospital's preparation for ebola was really interesting. The coverage of Bill's surgery was only a little bit hyper-dramatized. I enjoyed seeing Bill's family there at his bedside. I think it was really Halloween when they took the children trick-or-treating (some thought perhaps it was earlier with the pumpkin patch visit) because there were other children also in Halloween costumes. Altogether, it was an extraordinary reality show. 

• Love 2

Oh my, what a good episode.    I am so happy Bill came through that big operation in such good condition and I hope he gets to where he can do everything he wants to do again very soon.

I love his parents--both of them are so loving, and you can see in how they are with him why he is such a wonderful person.    His step-father was adorable with the kids.

I really enjoyed the little show within a show of Jen leading that simulation--seeing her in action at work, you can see some of why she is so meticulous and detailed at home-that is just part of her and it suits the work she does.     

Will and Zoey trick or treating was adorable--she and her mom are so good at dressing up and party planning!    I thought for sure they would have a fight when they got home over the candy, but it looks like they set the rules of one piece and pretty much got the kids to stick to it! 

I get tickled at how well both of the kids are speaking now--they come out with things that make me laugh every time.

• Love 2

Will's "Ye haw cowboy!" was so cute. He and Zoey looked like little dolls in their costumes I loved how Zoey told Jen "Bye Mommy!" when leaving the house, as if they were just leaving her behind.

It was so nice of the first neighbors to let the kids basically take over their front room, heh, but admittedly if I had them on my doorstep I probably would have stolen them to keep, heh, or at least have found some way to keep them around for an hour...or twelve.

I had a good chuckle over Will saying everything but "Trick  of treat", but he did well with thanking those who gave them candy. I thought that was really good to see, Jen always reminding them to say "thank you", good manners can never be taught enough.

The kids making sure Bill knew the rule of only "one piece of candy" was so adorable heh. They love their Baba but he isn't going to get away with taking their candy. And I like that Jen and Bilk mad sure they understood the limit for the night and held firm when Will wanted more, as Jen told him he could have more the next day.

Though I knew Bill came through the surgery with flying colours I still felt a bit unnerved watching the procedure, so much could have gone wrong but thankfully it didn't and the doctors did a bang up job. I could see how his posture had improved, though it was obvious how much pain he was in.

I'm glad he had his father there at the hospital and then his mother at home, certainly other than Bill himself they are the only other two people who have been there from start to finish with every single surgery he's ever had. To see the immense love they have for their son is so heart warming, and his step parents adore him as well. Bill seems to be the sort of guy anyone would be happy to call their "son".

Jen is just a little general, heh, she really has so many responsibilities and jobs she has to do and she just gets right to work. Watching the Ebola scenario play out was quite riveting I thought.

No wonder contamination concerns and scares are at the top of the priorities list, there are so many pieces to those special suits and the order they must be put on, one mistake or bit of exposed skin could mean becoming infected, what a stressful sequence to go through I'd imagine. Not to mention the cleanup work as well, such as when the "baby" threw up in the hall. 

The actress I thought did such a brilliant job, her tears were very real and I think were caused by the emotional weight of pretending to be in such a life threatening situation. I was glad to see how Jen handled her afterwards as well, showing understanding and concern.

To me this was the right note to end the season on, at least for right now. The kids in great shape, Bill is recovering from his necessary surgery and Jen now is in the role of being the backbone of the family when last time it was her bouncing back from a serious medical complication. It's as if things have come full circle and I was glad to see just how far this family has come in such a short amount of time.

• Love 6

I thought that Bill did a great job setting limits for the kids when he was recovering. He was good stopping Will from banging on his computer without yelling. I am glad that Bill's parents were so involved with his recovery.

• Love 2

For once, I can't say one snarky thing. This was one of the most substantive episodes of any reality show I've seen. Bill is definitely to be admired for his stoicism and good-natured attitude and Jen did a fine job as his rock. The kids were handled very well by all of the grandparents. I wish everyone luck and look forward to next season.

• Love 8

Did the kids call Bill's stepdad "Popeye"?

Yes, on twitter Bill stated all the grandparents have a special name and his stepdad's was Popeye.

This episode really got to me. I'm a nurse and I have been doing Orthopedics /neuroscience the past 10 years. Bill needing fluid resuscitation, 4 units of blood and being kept on a ventilator for 12 hour post surgery let me know how serious his situation was. Most patients are on the floor, breathing on their on, don't require a blood infusion and are up and walking within 24 hours of the surgery start time.

Jen's analike OCD behavior is put to great use with those simulations. All we got were a required 3 videos totalling 30 minutes. Watching someone put on protective gear vs doing it are 2 different things.

Seeing that actress reminded me of the actors they used for assessments while getting my masters degree. Loved the vomit.

Will and Zoey looked adorable in their Toy Story costumes. I laughed at Will saying "up a tree", instead of Trick or Treat. Both of their speech and vocabulary seems to be improving. Will is now saying some 4 word sentences.

I love that Bill and Jen don't hide their illnesses or booboos from the kids.

I was surprised that Jen liked Bill's scruff. I LOLed at the look she gave him after telling him he looked good and he mentioned not shaving.

Edited by BestestAuntEver
  • Love 5

Papai is Portugese for father, it's what Matthew McConaughey's kids call him.  When I've heard Matthew say it in interviews, I thought he was saying Popeye.  So perhaps there is some ethnic connection.

• Love 2

Will and Zoey looked adorable in their Toy Story costumes. I laughed at Will saying "up a tree", instead of Trick or Treat. Both of their speech and vocabulary seems to be improving. Will is now saying some 4 word sentences.

That's one of the funniest things for toddlers to do - they need to try out new words a couple of times before they get them right. When my grandson was Will's age and we'd put on a Disney DVD, I'd say "look, Tinkerbell"! At one point he thought I was saying "take a bow" so he would!

Edited by Lnmop
  • Love 6

Great episode. I too was interested to see the Ebola simulation thing.

The kids were too cute in their Halloween costumes! I loved when Will would say "treat!" when Jen prompted with "trick or treat?" No tricks for Will, just treats, thank you very much. LOL

Aside from the dramatic music (but hey, it's TLC), I thought Bill's surgery was handled well. It seems to me that flying from NY to TX that soon after back surgery would be excruciating. Looks like taking off and landing would put stress on his back, nevermind if they'd hit any turbulence.

Edited by Katydid
  • Love 4

The way these two handle pain and surgeries just blows my mind. Their marriage is one to be envied .

I always wonder when Jen has time to shop for clothes. Her outfits are always on point. Never mind all the alterations she has to have done and shopping for the right fit she has to do, she looks so perfect all the time. Even her glasses were matching her outfits!

The kids were so cute, they are such happy children. . You can see how much they love Jen and Bill. Just a small observation, I wonder why she keeps referring to Bill as BABA when both kids clearly are calling him DADDY? 

• Love 4

Poor Bill.  That surgery looked pretty bad, especially when they said he had to have blood transfusions.  Yikes!

Loved watching the kids go trick or treating.  I loved their costumes, they look so adorable.  Kudos to Judy for that.  I remember taking my nephew trick or treating when he was 2 or 3 and the first house we went to, he tried to go into their house.  At another house after he received a piece of candy, he went into his bucket and gave the person a piece of candy back.  It was soooo adorable.  That's one of the reasons Halloween is my favorite holiday.

Did anyone catch the show that came on afterwards?  7 Little Johnstons.  Its about a family of all little people.  The couple have 5 kids in total (3 of which are adopted - Russia, South Korea and China).  I really enjoyed it - the whole family is great.  The kids range from 9-15.  They are a blue collar family and they seem really down to earth.  The dad swears (which is bleeped out).  The dad also comes from a family of all little people as well. 

• Love 7

Oh man, that surgery and recovery looked brutal. Telling that even his mom, who has been with him through all his surgeries, even commented on that.

Did the kids call Bill's stepdad "Popeye"?

It sounded like Popay to me.

• Love 2

I cringed when Bill did his lap around the unit... the amount of pain he must have been in.... yikes!  You could just see it in his face that he was trying to hold it back and then trying to sit back into the chair. 

"say Trick or Treat"  Will - "up a tree?"   ADORABLE!  

My cousin brought back her adopted kids from Congo a week before Halloween.  She has 4 other kids so they could show them the trick or treating ropes but she said her adopted son kept thinking he could just go into people's houses too lol 

• Love 3

I don't know Jen, but when we have seen her interact with her patient's families in the simulations, especially the family of the baby Aaron she seemed nurturing. Jen is a lot like my mom so maybe I view her actions differently.  I think Bill and the kids understand Jen and I think both kids love her and have bonded with her, just differently than with Bill.  The kids seem to know they cannot be as physical with her as they can with Bill, but they have bonded.  Look how excited Will was to tell Jen he flew to New York, even though he did not jump on her.  IMHO because of Jen's job and her physical limitations she does not come across as Carol Brady, but that does not mean she does not nurture her family.  5+4=9 so does 6+3.  Different ways of doing things can get the same result. BTW it's always nice to have mom there when you are sick. Nobody can take care of you like mom.

• Love 16

I love that Bill and Jen don't hide their illnesses or booboos from the kids.

They seemed to do an appropriate amount of letting the kids know what's going on without frightening them.  Since Will and Zoey are likely to need surgeries at some point, it's great for them to see first hand that things get better.

I was glad that Bill's mom was there for the first couple weeks after surgery. Bill obviously needed some tender, loving, care. I don't think that Jen seems like the nurturing type.

I don't know that Jen isn't nurturing, but I don't think she can handle both kids by herself (the nanny isn't there 24 hours a day).  Plus, someone needed to be able to help Bill.  And she had to go to work.  It was a situation where extra help was not only welcome, it was really needed.  I liked seeing both of Bill's parents (and their spouses) more.

• Love 3

The episode was better than the rest for this new season.   I guess I am just trying to understand why, after all the truly monumental things that happened this past year they would be filming. A major health crisis that involved surgery and chemo, the adoption of two children, and Bill's back. I just don't understand it.

Bill could possibly be paralyzed, yet the camera's are rolling, there is another party and more cake. Then filming what looked and sounded like a very dire situation after Bill came out of surgery. As a previous poster said, who does that?

The other thing is  I can no longer watch Will eating, which usually takes up at least 50 % of each show.  He grabs at the take out bags, he demands food, then he orders Jen to stop talking to Bill at the table.  He is told to take only one Halloween treat, but as usual ignore Jen and reaches for another and no one stops him.

He was also banging on Bill's computer and did not stop. He also was interrupting Zoeys time with Bill and should of been told to stop with an explanation why.

Not disciplining these children because there are on putting it on TV, is sending these kids are mixed message which is plainly a bad idea and not at all in the best interest of the kids.

• Love 3

Well that will teach me to have two windows open at the same time and not pay attention to which box I'm writing in...apologizes to the mod/s!

Thankfully I didn't hit reply for the post I was writing for this thread over in GH land...I'm getting old.

I don't know that Jen isn't nurturing, but I don't think she can handle both kids by herself

Well neither does Bill really. He isn't so much taller or faster than Jen is, imo, which I do think is why they've kept the nanny on and they rely on Jen's parents, friends, etc, to help out from time to time.

I never got the sense from either Bill or Jen that they think it's a negative that they need help at times, even with their kids. I don't think they ever thought two adults in their conditions would able to do it all for their children at all times without assistance, especially when it comes to safety and lifting and things that could actually injure them but wouldn't be a bother to someone who is of average size. 

Personally I see it in the same way that they both were quite glad to have an elevator installed in their home.  Jen and Bill, with their physical challenges, knew it was best to have that sort of lift installed in their home. They know adjustments must be made at times to do what's best and safest for them and now the children.

I don't think either of them tackle those two kids alone, they either have each other or other helping hands. Plus if one can afford to have a professional and well trained nanny to help them with their kids, average sized and able bodied or not, I think quite a few mothers would gladly accept the assistance, heh.

• Love 1

Regarding them showing the aftermath of Bill's surgery, I thought it seemed that they were very careful to not show footage of him immediately afterward when he was in the most dire condition. I remember Jen saying that it had been a rough couple of days and then we saw him out of ICU in bed in the regular room. She did tweet (can't remember if it was shown in the actual episode) a pic of him while in ICU with all the tubes and everything. While I personally wouldn't have wanted such a photo of myself, I can't imagine that Jen would have taken it, let alone shared it, without knowing that Bill was ok with it. I think they've been clear that they want to show us their lives, the good and bad. I've seen the show criticized when they show the ordinary, everyday life because some people seem to be nearly salivating for something dramatic because they can't imagine that the lives of people who are physically atypical could be anything but one tragedy after another. Yet when they do give us a glimpse into some of the challenges they encounter, they are criticized for that too.

• Love 13

I thought it was horrible to photograph or film Bill especially while he was intubated in recovery/ICU!  And what was a film crew doing lurking and filming outside of the operating room?  I wish they had not filmed any part of the hospital and just told us about it.   

There is no such word as discipline in the Klein household, neither parent knows what to do or how to do it.  The grandparents come in and are likely thinking wow I never would have let Bill or my other kids get away with that but they are not mine so they sit back and say nothing.  Must be very frustrating. 

Jen's "now it's time for me to look after you honey" was not realistic.  So it was great his own mother could give him private personal care. 

Jen is wonderful in simulation, it has to be done absolutely letter perfect and she thrives on perfection! I guess there was no one else to run the Ebola simulation other than her at that point in time and it was unfortunate she was unable to give Bill the support she had promised. 

She was snippy coming in to the house thinking they had already eaten and Bill quickly jumped in with "we haven't eaten yet......honey"

Will telling Jen to "stop talk" was priceless.  I am glad they thought it was so cute and once again no discipline.  No wonder he sits at the head of the table.

• Love 1

I felt bad for Jen when Will demanded that she stop talking to Bill. That was a situation where I wish Bill had stepped in and told Will not to talk to his mother like that. I understand that the night before a major surgery is not the time to pick a battle with a four year-old, but it just seems like Bill doesn't back Jen up when Will disrespects her.

On a more positive note, I loved watching Jen in her element when she was conducting the Ebola simulation. Her personality is truly a perfect match for the type of work she does. I was also happy that Bill's mom got to spend some time in Houston helping him recover. I like that the step-grandparents truly seem to enjoy and make an effort to engage with Will and Zoe.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5

Jen and Bill want to make money and they want TV fame. Consequently, they will show anything to achieve this goal. I am sure that Bill was 100% on board with whatever Jen decided to show. I think that they make the same decisions regarding Will and Zoey. I think that the Klein defenders are much more concerned with what is shown than Bill and Jen are. I think they are willing to show whatever keeps the money and fame rolling.

I'm sorry and I'm not trying to be rude, but I completely disagree with this.  Way back when the show first started, Bill and Jen showed the lifestyles of 2 people with serious disabilities that not just survived lots of complications, treatments and surgeries, but they completely THRIVED.  Becoming a doctor is tough, becoming a high risk pediatrician is tougher, but then going on to direct an entire department of a top specialty hospital is amazing for anyone.  Do all that while having the extra hardships Jen deals with every day.  She's a freaking hero, just for that.  Bill isn't a slouch either - he's got more than one business that he runs, again with extra hardships that most business owners don't have to cope with.  

Then, these people who are sharing what life is like, what life CAN be like for someone with their disabilites, also share their losses and struggles.  They aren't trying to present a sanitized, Disney version of their life, this is what happens to them.  When they chose to adopt, they didn't do a healthy, white baby private adoption - they adopted children who needed parents who could understand what their (Will and Zoey's) needs would be and also if they weren't adopted by people who could afford to give them the proper care, those babies would likely live their entire lives in orphanages.  To me, this show is giving parents of children who have disabilities some hope that their kids can become doctors and business owners and have the life we all want for our kids.

As far as the money they get from the show, I really think that between the salaries that Bill and Jen pull in from their real jobs, anything TLC pays them is likely put in trust for the kids or to pay their taxes.

(stepping of my soapbox now).

• Love 19

I felt bad for Jen when Will demanded that she stop talking to Bill. That was a situation where I wish Bill had stepped in and told Will not to talk to his mother like that. I understand that the night before a major surgery is not the time to pick a battle with a four year-old, but it just seems like Bill doesn't back Jen up when Will disrespects her.

True, but Jen hadn't corrected Will's rudeness either.  They are both at fault for ignoring it.  It was not the night before his surgery.  They were home and Bill was in recovery but I give Bill a pass this time as he had enough to deal with.  

I honestly think if Bill turned just once and said "WILL!  STOP RIGHT NOW!"  Will would get the message pdq!

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 6

I'm sorry and I'm not trying to be rude, but I completely disagree with this.  Way back when the show first started, Bill and Jen showed the lifestyles of 2 people with serious disabilities that not just survived lots of complications, treatments and surgeries, but they completely THRIVED.  Becoming a doctor is tough, becoming a high risk pediatrician is tougher, but then going on to direct an entire department of a top specialty hospital is amazing for anyone.  Do all that while having the extra hardships Jen deals with every day.  She's a freaking hero, just for that.  Bill isn't a slouch either - he's got more than one business that he runs, again with extra hardships that most business owners don't have to cope with.  

Then, these people who are sharing what life is like, what life CAN be like for someone with their disabilites, also share their losses and struggles.  They aren't trying to present a sanitized, Disney version of their life, this is what happens to them.  When they chose to adopt, they didn't do a healthy, white baby private adoption - they adopted children who needed parents who could understand what their (Will and Zoey's) needs would be and also if they weren't adopted by people who could afford to give them the proper care, those babies would likely live their entire lives in orphanages.  To me, this show is giving parents of children who have disabilities some hope that their kids can become doctors and business owners and have the life we all want for our kids.

As far as the money they get from the show, I really think that between the salaries that Bill and Jen pull in from their real jobs, anything TLC pays them is likely put in trust for the kids or to pay their taxes.

(stepping of my soapbox now).

This x 1000. 

• Love 6

I don't see Will and Zoey as behaving that badly.  I don't think they behave any better or worse than any other kids, but that's just me.  Considering Bill and Jeny have had the kids for less than 2 years, the issues the kids came with,  Bill and Jen's medical issues during this time, and Bill and Jen are new parents, I think they have done a hell of a job.  Will and Zoey are happy and thriving.  If they are behind you can bet your bottom dollar that Jen has a plan to "divide and conquer".  If she had a 14 page game plan for a birthday party, how much more is she managing the kids development?

If Bill and Jen want money so what? This is America, that is what Americans do.  Will and Zoey have issues.  They will have those issues whether or not they are on TV.  They are going to be stared at, talked about, insulted and all manner of thing because of their stature and their issues. People are mean. But Will and Zoey are TV stars and beloved.  The case can be made that their lives are easier because they are on TV.  They will be treated better in school, on the street......any where they go, than if they were unknown little people. I just don't understand all the pearl clutching

• Love 13

True, but Jen hadn't corrected Will's rudeness either.  They are both at fault for ignoring it.  It was not the night before his surgery.  They were home and Bill was in recovery but I give Bill a pass this time as he had enough to deal with.  

I honestly think if Bill turned just once and said "WILL!  STOP RIGHT NOW!"  Will would get the message pdq!

Thanks for the correction, Foghorn. I got my scenes mixed up. If it was a one-off thing, I wouldn't even comment on it but practically every episode has Will sassing or ignoring Jen. He's pretty clear about which parent he prefers. Maybe it's a phase he's going through, I don't know, but it does make me feel badly for her.

• Love 4

Recovery from back surgery is a nightmare. Lots of people never get better. In fact everyone I know who has had back surgery is worse after surgery because the pain from the surgery never goes away.  The scenes in the hospital brought back all the times my loved ones were in the hospital! It's so stressful.

At first I thought the ebola simulation was a little silly. But then I realized that reading a memo about the procedure is going to be a lot less effective than actually acting it out. People are not going to remember any of what they read that they were supposed to do. When you do something yourself then you can remember it well. I loved it! Great job Jen!

Going trick or treating with a camera crew in tow is just so American...Jen: just me and my friend and my mom (and 2 guys with cameras follwing them). The cameras actually set up in the first house. Yeah that is really normal Will and Zoey, you say Trick or Treat, a door opens and there is a guy with candy And a camera crew behind him filming you get the candy.

People are mean. But Will and Zoey are TV stars and beloved.  The case can be made that their lives are easier because they are on TV.  They will be treated better in school, on the street......any where they go, than if they were unknown little people.

I'm not sure I believe most of that.  Some people can be mean but not nearly all people.  Will and Zoey are performers on a third rate cable network that most people in this country don't watch so the odds of most people they meet in life regarding them as "stahz" isn't all that likely.  Not only that but  regarding them as stars does not guarantee that they will be treated better.  They could be teased about scenes on TV or even pestered about it as Maddie Gosselin claims she was.  

• Love 3

I find it hard to believe that Bill and Jen get nothing from the TV show. If that was the case, why would they do it? They may not need the money, but I think they want the money. If they make as much as people think, they don't need the show for their children or taxes. I think that Bill and Jen want this show for Bill and Jen. Whether for fame or money or both. People don't do things for no reason.

Of course they get paid for the TLC show, my point was that the TLC compensation doesn't fund their lifestyle, their full time jobs take care of that.  The TLC money isn't what's important to them, I think they want to do the show in order to show people that being born with disabilities doesn't automatically limit you to an average life, that you can excel professionally and personally.

• Love 7

I felt badly for Bill's mom when she asked Will if he was going to miss her/them and he shook his head and said NO. And Jen and Bill said NOTHING. Couldnt Bill and the Good Doctor have said something like "Will, dont talk to Grandma like that, she came all the way here to spend time with you and loves you". But NOPE. Unless i really missed something. The look on Bill's mom face was priceless,  She just stared at Will and I could tell she was probably biting her tongue. It took Popeye or whatever they call him to step in and say to Will, well we are going to miss you. Very disrespectful behavior by Will and again, no one corrects him. And this is how he treats his FAMILY.  And yes i think they are definitely in it for the TLC paycheck ride. However, maybe things are not quite what they seem since Jen is back to work full time and the plans to move the pet shop to a bigger location seems to have fizzled. I may be wrong, but i think TLC is looking for replacement dwarves and that is why we are seeing an 18 yr old dwarf named Hannah looking for love and the family last night...

• Love 3

I agree. And when will the excuses for NOT disciplining be used up? Will has been with his new family for almost TWO YEARS. The time for foregoing discipline "because Will is still adjusting and transitioning" has long-past. Many pre-schoolers go through phases of challenging their parents, which I hope is the case with Will.  And some are just naturally more "feisty" or belligerent. But regardless of the reason for the behavior, Will needs to be corrected. When he is fresh or sassy to Jen, or anyone else for that matter, she needs to let him know that it's very definitely not OK.  Whether cameras are rolling or not.  And regardless of whether Will is tired, or hungry, or cranky, or is going to school, or a swim lesson is about to start etc.  "No, Will, we do NOT talk like that to Mommy. That is not OK..."  If Bill hears him, he should be speaking up as well. Both need to use stern-enough voices and facial expressions to make an impression. No laughing, no smiling, no rattling on forever. If verbal warnings don't work, stronger measures need to be taken. Time-outs, toys removed from a period of time, no dessert.  If Will really is as sharp as Bill believes him to be, he will catch on very quickly. Laughing and pats on the head are great when they're appropriate but from what we see, Will receives these reactions even when he's misbehaving - which is clearly inappropriate.

• Love 3

Add me to the group that thought last night's episode was great.  Most reality TV shows never address life's realities.  This one does.  Both Bill and Jen have faced some horrific health issues, and they have not sugarcoated the fact.  What's wrong with showing the world that you can fight your way through tough times with grace?

The Ebola segment was informative, and the trick or treat scenes were adorable.  

Will and Zoe were perfectly well behaved for children their age.  Will is simply going through a phase where he answers "no" to every question.  I don't think his grandma batted an eye when he answered her question about missing her with a "no."  That was likely the 50th time that day, he answered a question with a "no."  Actions speak louder than words, and those kids were all over grandma and popeye.  

I also think Jen and Bill have been careful not to show things like potty training that will come back to haunt the children later.

Are they making money off the show?  Probably, but I have no doubt that when the show is over, they will do just fine without it.  If they happen to pick up one of those lovely beach front homes along the way, good for them!

• Love 8

Will and Zoe were perfectly well behaved for children their age. Will is simply going through a phase where he answers "no" to every question. I don't think his grandma batted an eye when he answered her question about missing her with a "no." That was likely the 50th time that day, he answered a question with a "no." Actions speak louder than words, and those kids were all over grandma and popeye.

When my 6 year old grandson comes to spend the day, we have a great time with lots of activities, fun and affection. When it's time for him to leave, he often won't kiss me or even say goodbye. Mr. Lnmop and I decided it's because he doesn't want to leave. Could be the same with Will.

• Love 5

Boy, they have been on a roller coaster of emotions the last year. I thoroughly enjoy them as they are lighthearted & a break from the other realty shows that thrive on drama. I need that break here & there. The kids are beyond adorable & have so many people that love them. They all hit the jackpot when they found each other. I don't care how much help Jen has, people say that like it's a bad thing. In her situation, her career & size she does need help but there is no doubt how much she loves them & puts them before anything & they adore her. Those bonds are real even if she has to have someone help her. 

I love hearing Will say "Bi-el" with a country accents, it's too cute. Their costumes were adorable & they did a good job trick-or-treating. 

• Love 5

AVERAGE 5 year olds without a history of an orphanage, adoption, surgeries and speech/language delays say no quite a bit too.  Will is not an average almost 5 year old.  Jen and Bill are first time parents, and they got their kids as toddlers.  Do I think they're the poster children for setting limits and would I show clips of their show in a parenting class?  No, but at the same time, I think some people look for any and every reason to pick them apart.  

My grandson is 3.  He's not adopted, he's an only child and hasn't had anything particularly jarring happen to his world.  His parents are pretty strict, but he still says no when he doesn't want to do something, he loves nothing more than to stroll into everyone's pantry and grab something he wants and his language skills are just slightly more advanced than Will's.  On Christmas day he didn't want to kiss anyone good bye and he also thought everything that was wrapped belonged to him.  I guess I need to tell his parents to start cracking the whip, he's going to be a mess in a couple years?

• Love 17

I watched most of the episode the other night and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out what the loopy thing was on the back of Will's costume. I just realized it was supposed to be Woody's pull string. Damn, Judy thought of everything. Very, very cute! I loved Will's "up a tree" instead of trick or treat. Such a little kid thing to say. Especially for kids who really have no concept of Halloween yet. 

• Love 4

Actually, I am more worried about Josie and Jordyn Duggar's speech delays than I am about Will. Will will get therapy and whatever else he needs; the lost Duggar girls will not.

Edited by Lillybee
  • Love 10

All this worry over Will's behavior reminds me of my oldest daughter when she was his age.  She was very high energy, felt she knew how to do everything, and didn't always listen.  I distinctly recall a friend and later a cousin complaining about how poorly behaved she was.  Later, when they had their own children, I didn't see any better behavior from their children..  At least my kids ate the food put in front of them (as do Will and Zoey) while theirs lived on mac and cheese and chicken nuggets!

And in one case, the 17 year old son still gets away with eating only mac and cheese and pizza and grapes.

My obstinate daughter grew up to be a terrific, patient parent herself.  I expect Will and Zoey will be just fine!

• Love 12

I felt badly for Bill's mom when she asked Will if he was going to miss her/them and he shook his head and said NO. And Jen and Bill said NOTHING. Couldnt Bill and the Good Doctor have said something like "Will, dont talk to Grandma like that, she came all the way here to spend time with you and loves you". But NOPE. Unless i really missed something. The look on Bill's mom face was priceless,  She just stared at Will and I could tell she was probably biting her tongue. It took Popeye or whatever they call him to step in and say to Will, well we are going to miss you. Very disrespectful behavior by Will and again, no one corrects him. And this is how he treats his FAMILY.  And yes i think they are definitely in it for the TLC paycheck ride. However, maybe things are not quite what they seem since Jen is back to work full time and the plans to move the pet shop to a bigger location seems to have fizzled. I may be wrong, but i think TLC is looking for replacement dwarves and that is why we are seeing an 18 yr old dwarf named Hannah looking for love and the family last night...

Soooo all of this, her heart sank!  

And don't forget the The 7 Little Johnstons that aired right after.  

While dwarfism is the medical condition, the polite form of address is little person.

I guess each person/family has different descriptions they feel are acceptable to them.  Just to quickly add The 7 Little Johnstons call themselves the real life 7 dwarfs.     

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 2