Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: Bill's Surgery

• Start Topic

My sister was adamant her son wouldn't have a toy gun. And then he did start making them out of Duplo blocks and ate his Pop Tart into the shape of one. At that point, she gave up. 2 more sons later, they had all sorts of toy guns and the biggest issue was losing the damn nerf suction cup bullets all over the house. 

• Love 4

This may sound shocking coming from a preschool teacher, but I don't think we will ever break preschool boys of the habit of making guns out of Lego's, Playdough, or toast! It almost seems hard-wired, like the fascination with wheels. Of course we tell them that it's not appropriate in school, but I don't know if their parents are that vigilant, and for sure once they're out of parents' sight they will resume playing with "guns" - including real guns, unfortunately.

Sometimes, they're in the "parent's" (and I use that term loosely & with extreme prejudice) sight:  http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jan/12/indiana-couple-arrested-baby-video-gun-in-mouth

When I saw the linked video, I forgot all about Will's toy gun kerfuffle (and I think my head may have exploded).

• Love 1

when my nephew was around 2 or 3 he would take straws and point them at people or things and say "pew pew pew!" in a high pitched voice. Almost like a space radar gun or something lol 

Pretty sure he didn't have any toy guns.  So yes, boys will be boys. 

• Love 2

My sister was adamant her son wouldn't have a toy gun. And then he did start making them out of Duplo blocks and ate his Pop Tart into the shape of one. At that point, she gave up. 2 more sons later, they had all sorts of toy guns and the biggest issue was losing the damn nerf suction cup bullets all over the house.

The difference, for me, is a child has never been killed by a cop when his pop tart or duplo block gun was mistaken for the real thing.

• Love 2

He's a very funny little boy. He seems to have a great sense of humor. He'd be the death of me, I'd have such a hard time being angry with his sunny little face when he was in trouble. He takes such joy in everything, I could see him doing things he knows are wrong but being so happy about it. Cheeky little thing!

My old friend Fostersmom (amalficoast here) said it for me, Will is the most joyful, delightful boy. I love him to pieces. And I'm so pleased to see Zooey doing so well. I love the bond she has with Jen's mother, those little arms are always reaching up to Nana.

• Love 7

I don't think the toy gun was a big deal. It's just a toy.

I am 40 and when I was will's age your statement did hold true but, now not so much and it's unfortunate that a child could be holding a toy gun and someone call 911 and police respond and kill that child. I did notice the red tip on the pistol to clarify it is a toy. That is our society today unfortunately. With the few incidences of shootings with toy guns in the news lately I would think maybe just omit the pistol from the costume.

• Love 2

True, but Jen hadn't corrected Will's rudeness either.  They are both at fault for ignoring it.  It was not the night before his surgery.  They were home and Bill was in recovery but I give Bill a pass this time as he had enough to deal with.  

I honestly think if Bill turned just once and said "WILL!  STOP RIGHT NOW!"  Will would get the message pdq!

I actually thought that Will was telling Bill to stop talking to mommy because he directed his statement to Bill not Jen but, of course Jen interjected. The same way when Will said no he wouldn't miss Popeye and then Popeye asked again and he said yes. I do believe for the most part they get a lot of what he is saying but, I pick up on things that they don't all of the time. I am around children with speech issues part time.
  • Love 1

I actually thought that Will was telling Bill to stop talking to mommy because he directed his statement to Bill not Jen but, of course Jen interjected. The same way when Will said no he wouldn't miss Popeye and then Popeye asked again and he said yes. I do believe for the most part they get a lot of what he is saying but, I pick up on things that they don't all of the time. I am around children with speech issues part time.

I just replayed that part.  Bill asks Jen "How's work?" Jen is telling Bill about the simulator work.  We hear Will say "CALM DOWN!"  Jen asks Will you want me to calm down?  Will is heard to say NOT....TALKING....DADDY although he had a fork or spoon in his mouth during that time so this must have been dubbed in.  Jen asks him "you don't want me to talk to Daddy?" and this time you can clearly see Will say NO!  Jen asks why not a couple of times and Will replies DON'T DON'T.....at that point she asks is it ok to talk to you and you hear Will say YEAH.  

By this point I think Will had had enough of Baba paying attention to anyone else.  You could see he was jealous when Zoey was on Bill's knee and started acting out banging the keyboard all to get attention so Chuck takes Zoey and up Bill gets only to have Will get rough with him so Bill tells him gentle with Baba but Will keeps hitting him and yelling food food food then Will starts pushing Bill and Bill says no pushing Baba around, Will immediately leans in for a hug and sucks his thumb.  Then asks to see Bill's boo boo and laughs and Bill tells him not to laugh so I think all of these things hurt Will's feelings.  He was likely feeling very neglected.  Yet Bill is going out of his way to tell us how much Will understands Bill's back hurts?  Then in comes Jen taking more of Baba's attentions away.

Will had had enough for one day and for Will to repeat a phrase like CALM DOWN tells me he has heard this a few times!!  

• Love 2

Then, these people wTo me, this show is giving parents of children who have disabilities some hope that their kids can become doctors and business owners and have the life we all want for our kids.

Regardless of the reasons behind doing the show, I am glad the Kleins are filming episodes. I find their lives intriguing and informative as I would never have had the guts to actually ask a little person how they function in day to day life. Thanks to the Kleins, I get to be a fly on the wall for the challenges they meet, and how little people manage to cope as children.

• Love 4

These folks are definitely not your typical couple, being little people included.  They have a nanny, family who have the time and money to assist them and travel with them, handlers, a PR firm, and cameras following them all around. I still enjoy watching. But the folks who could probably give a better sense of what it is really like to meet these challenges are the folks in the Little People of America organization who do not have TLC contracts or the Walking with Giants organization.

• Love 1

Regardless of the reasons behind doing the show, I am glad the Kleins are filming episodes. I find their lives intriguing and informative as I would never have had the guts to actually ask a little person how they function in day to day life. Thanks to the Kleins, I get to be a fly on the wall for the challenges they meet, and how little people manage to cope as children.

The Kleins have customized everything they are able to because they can afford to...nothing wrong with that if you have the money.  This is not even close to how little people function in day to day life.  Thank goodness for the other little family shows who are keeping it real.  The Kleins are far from that.   

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

The Kleins have customized everything they are able to because they can afford to...nothing wrong with that if you have the money.  This is not even close to how little people function in day to day life.  Thank goodness for the other little family shows who are keeping it real.  The Kleins are far from that.   

What the Kliens show is wherever you start in life and whatever your limitations you can become successful.  There is no indication that Bill and Jen come from money.  Both worked hard and overcame physical and societal adversity to become successful without TLC money.  That is a GREAT message. I think it's part of what makes the show so uplifting.  You don't hear Bill and Jen complaining about how difficult their journey was, they are totally positive people.  So little of that around now, everyone wants to focus on the negative because it's "real".  Positive is "real" too.

Edited by xldb2004
  • Love 7
Chalby, on 01 Feb 2015 - 10:38 PM, said:Chalby, on 01 Feb 2015 - 10:38 PM, said:Chalby, on 01 Feb 2015 - 10:38 PM, said:

I agree, I find it so interesting too.  It must be so challenging to be a little person.  I'm glad they they've let us into their lives, to show us how they do it.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 6