Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Dominoes

Actionmage

Oh my I spent 45 minutes of the episode not looking at the screen.  I'm with Sylvester..the thought of being in that cave in the dark with water coming in...scares the crap out of me.  Plus I was not very sympathetic to the kid for some reason.

I love Happy the best.

Walter is so stubborn.

Now Walter's sister is going to be a member of the team... ugh.

Oh my I spent 45 minutes of the episode not looking at the screen.  I'm with Sylvester..the thought of being in that cave in the dark with water coming in...scares the crap out of me.  Plus I was not very sympathetic to the kid for some reason.

I understand. The kid was kind of annoying and whiny. Of course, if he had been real that would be a different matter, and it's not his fault. But the way he was written and played in this episode made me want him to stop crying. 

Walter owes Sylvester an apology for snapping at him.

Most heartwarming moment for me was when Cabe got his present (a new pair of sunglasses). I like that he's portrayed as a hardass who nonetheless has no problem being caring and sensitive.

• Love 1

Walter owes Sylvester an apology for snapping at him.

"Walter owes ______ an apology for snapping at him/her" should be a macro, right?

I like Camille Guaty as Megan. I like that she cares enough for Sylvester that she feels she can give him a reality check. Sylvester and Walter live inside their heads a whole lot, so Megan telling Sylvester  he needed to think about someone else was needed. 

What I didn't need was Sylvester literally being strong for the boy.  I know, sometimes brute strength is needed, as well as Sly talking about how he's "big not strong." I just think it was a bit forced.

Almost any Happy/Toby scene is fun. While I appreciate Toby pointing out Happy's reluctance/ fear, unless he knows all the players and POVs, maybe back off a bit. Just because he's got letters after his name doesn't mean that Happy's dad is automatically hyped about seeing his daughter again. Personally, I am glad it was a wanted reunion. I am also glad at her introducing him to the group. Toby and his new old hat need to give the Quinns some space.

One thing about the blood oxygenating cave: was there not enough space to move the machine behind/deeper into the cave, as opposed to pulling it out as they did? If there could have been a pocket of space, then the machine might have still been able to "breathe" for Owen?  As Happy keeps proving, machines can be repaired, but if the machine could have still worked, just not monitored, wouldn't that still have been good? There could have been other medical things to worry about, since Walter was monitoring the numbers, correct?  I guess I am just tired of same-iness to solutions in my TV shows, at least lately.

I loved the team gift to Ralph; that was a wonderful tableau all around! The ugly sweater was art with the blinking lights. Cabe's shades and Toby's hat were nice gifts, as well as callbacks! The ornaments Paige bought were fun; she should have found a brain one from somewhere for Walter, though.  No doubt, there has to be one somewhere.

Toby: "Ew, my spleen."--favorite line

Because the show has had Walter hit it so hard, I would like a religious genius to make their way to L.A. and rock Walter's world. Just because you are soopar smahrt  doesn't preclude things like religion or the arts. 

• Love 2

...One thing about the blood oxygenating cave: was there not enough space to move the machine behind/deeper into the cave, as opposed to pulling it out as they did? If there could have been a pocket of space, then the machine might have still been able to "breathe" for Owen?...

The machine was okay; the tubes got pinched by the boulder so the blood couldn't flow to and from the oxygenating machine. Or did you mean the tubes wouldn't have gotten pinched if they had moved it closer? I'm not sure that's predictable--or at least they didn't get Sylvester to predict it. Heh.

I was bugged that they didn't use the passageway to the cave to pump out water. Am I missing some reason why they didn't do that? It seems a lot easier and less traumatic than the blood oxygenating, which depended upon the kid resisting the urge to breath or he would drown.

I've almost drowned a couple of times and been trapped in small spaces, but this episode didn't bother me because it was so obvious that the kid was going to be fine in the end. Plus I was writing holiday cards during the episode.

I was confused about something: The kid was at the beach with his mom, right? So why did Paige tell him she would talk to him until his parents arrived? Wasn't his mom at the beach all along?

That was the babysitter. I agree, though, that it was confusing; they didn't mention that she was the babysitter until after he was trapped. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Actionmage your right it should be a macro.

I know I should have hated tonights episode it was utter emotional manipulation. Except its was fun emotional manipulation, and it has enough character moments to still feel earned.

I even felt for Paige tonight talking a kid so close in age to Ralph through a nightmare is not easy. She made a real contribution tonight. I almost wish her story wasn' t so wrapped up in Walter so she could do more working with people and not just being the newb so much.

My personal favourite Gallo moment was when he welcomed Happy's dad. It was a nice touch that shows how much Cabe cares about the group as a whole even though he and Happy haven't intetacted much. That said, I wish they would tone down his mother hen moments with Walter a bit . Him yelling "Walter" is in danger of becoming its own Macro. Its not a bad character note, I can see Cabe being terrified of losing his only remaining "child". I just think he needs to recognize that Walter isnt a kid anymore and have a little faith in his judgement. Not to mention a pro like him should realize being over invested in Walter could end up causing problems. Although the episode where the higher ups try replacing Cabe with someone less involved is probably being written as we speak.

Something else I noticed is Walter watching Meagan(cuz thats how the Irish actually spell it show) and Sylvester's moment under the mistletoe. I can just see him being an overprotective jerk and calling it "logic" already.

I know just about ecmo to know what Walter did probably wouldn't work (for one most people don't have enough blood for fourty feet of tubing) but this is not a show for nitpicking that stuff so I'll forget it.

Edited by Emily Thrace
  • Love 2

Cabe absolutely terrified, shaking Walter and calling him "son" got to me, man. He was very clearly terrified of losing his "child" all over again. I loved this episode, and Camille Guaty can stay. I loved her in Gotta Kick it Up back in the day. I recognized her immediately. She's awesome.

So now Drew is conveniently out of the picture in the exact same way he left the first time. Bye Felicia.

Edited by Italian Ice
Or did you mean the tubes wouldn't have gotten pinched if they had moved it closer? I'm not sure that's predictable--or at least they didn't get Sylvester to predict it. Heh.

Yeah, that's what I meant. On TV and in movies, folks always seem to pull out and/ or away when stuff's hooked up to something/-one important to the story, instead of pushing back/ behind. That and this...

I was bugged that they didn't use the passageway to the cave to pump out water. Am I missing some reason why they didn't do that? It seems a lot easier and less traumatic than the blood oxygenating, which depended upon the kid resisting the urge to breath or he would drown.

, once I read your point, were my biggest crabby moments. So, I think overall, it was a good episode.

IA about the Cabe  being protective and scared. Robert Patrick has that way of conveying understandable, adult fear in a harsh bark. I would feel totally safe if he was on my side/ sent to protect me.

So now Drew is conveniently out of the picture in the exact same way he left the first time.

I don't think so yet. The episode was set on Christmas Eve, and the try-out was because some manager was supposed to see Drew before the manager's vacation. There will be plenty of angst and lies of omission due to Drew being a lying liar and Walter caught in the middle for a bit. Hopefully not for long, but I am more hoping for Walter to point-blank tell Paige about all the little less-than-cool Drew moments. Not that I want Walter to go tattle-tale, but to reiterate that he is more concerned about Ralph and for Paige to tell Drew to quit talking to him about Paige and Ralph without them present. My nastier side also hopes the entire garage is wired for sound and video and all the sketchy talks are available to Paige once Walter deems himself tired of Drew.

I really hated that whole bit with the TV reporter, especially the way she broadcast things that would never go out on a real TV report (like the name of the kid). 

It really didn't take long for this cast to gel. Their chemistry elevates the material. I actually think Cabe might be my favorite at this point.

• Love 8

Great Christmas episode. I loved Cabe and Walter, Cabe trying to convince Walter not to go in the cave again. Then Cabe going in after Walter. I love their relationship.

I think Walter snapping at Sylvester has been building for awhile now. I don't blame Walter, Sylvester's been making up excuses to not help or go with the rest of them because of his fear from at least the Bosnia episode or longer.  

• Love 5

I did like the idea that, instead of a typical "stop the crime/terrorist/threat to national security of the week" story, this was about Team Scorpion using their smarts and skills to help out a situation where there wasn't a bad guy, but someone's life was in peril.  I do hope they are willing to go this direction more, and don't just repeat the bad people stuff all the time.  Now, I wasn't surprised that the kid was saved, because I don't see this show going that dark yet, but the episode did keep my interest enough, that I was curious to see how they were going to pull this off (even if, as usual, it was so, so preposterous.)

At least Walt is getting a little bit better at interacting with normal folks, like the family and workers, even if he's countering it with being a dick to the rest of his team.  Not surprised he blew his stack with Sylvester.  He was way too harsh, but I did appreciate Megan being firm with Sly about getting his head back into the game, because I do think Sylvester is letting his fears get the better of him, and making him just a whiner at times.

The kid in danger did seem to give Paige the most she's done so far.  Out of the team, she would be the one best to handle the kid.  That said, part of me think that, without the crippling disease, Megan could almost be just as good as her; at least when it comes to handling the team members and their ticks.

The Toby/Happy stuff was fine for what it needed to be.  Interesting that they brought back Happy's dad as well.

Cabe's reaction to Walt putting himself in danger was pretty good.  Robert Patrick brings more dimensions to a character, that could easily be way more cliched and boring.

• Love 1

I felt bad for the biker who was accosted and had his motorcycle taken on Christmas Eve.

Naah, he'll get it back with interest (maybe $50 or so) plus, if he's not trying to lay low for past misdeeds, he probably has the option of appearing on TV as one of the heroes of the piece. I can imagine the annoying news reporter (who I think is a real reporter?) saying, "Mr. Broadbent, now known on Twitter as 'Santa Claus,' willingly gave up his Harley motorcycle in order to speed rescue equipment to the trapped boy."
  • Love 1

The minute the boy got trapped in the cave, I said to Mr Washables "oh no, it's a Christmas miracle."  (I'm sure the Bradys didn't say it first, but they may have said it loudest.)  Then we kept yellling "it's a Christmas miracle!" at the screen throughout the episode.  Sure enough, somebody finally said it.  Way to go with a formula, show.

• Love 4

Did I blink and miss an explanation as to how the kid survived 6+ minutes without oxygen? Also, since he fell unconscious, why didn't his primitive brain kick in & make him start using his lungs to breathe?

• Love 2

In the promo, with my bad eyes and worse TV, I thought the child in danger might be Ralph. Didn't want yet another "one of our own is in danger" so I was relieved that it was a different kid.

I thought the kid was Ralph too. Pretty deceiving, with Paige crying and Walter's "you're going to be with your parents for Christmas."

I did think it's funny that just last episode, Paige was admonishing someone to let Walter stew for just a minute, instead of just pushing him to work nonstop, and tonight we see Walter running to the water and screaming his lungs out in frustration. Hey, geniuses get emotional too!

Thanks for clarifying mom vs babysitter. I totally missed that.

RE why they didn't pump water out, I decided it was because the tide was too strong, so it would be like trying to pump the entire ocean-- no pump could keep up.

Toby said the ecmo super-oxygenated the kid's blood, which is why he lasted so long after the machine gave out, but I don't know that that's real science, vs the usual wanking this show provides.

• Love 4

I like Walter's sister (apparently so do the producers, as they keep trying to find ways of including her in each episode).  I especially liked how she finally told Sylvester to grow a pair and start behaving like an adult instead of a big baby.  Every episode, he seems to have some kind of crisis in confidence, and everyone rallies around him and makes excuses because he's so lovable.  At some point, that's got to stop, and I hope last night was it.  Otherwise, he should really find a new line of work.

Toby has turned out to be my favorite character on this show, which really surprises me, as I wrote him off as the smarmy loud-mouth at first.  I wouldn't mind a half-hour show following just his adventures; he's like a peppier version of Mr. Jane on "The Mentalist".

I knew the kid would be safe in the end, but using that machine to oxygenate his blood so he could breathe underwater was really cool (and scary to me!).  I've never heard of that before; maybe it's a real thing, maybe its not, but kudo's to the writers for coming up with this unique solution!

EDIT: I understand why the little boy couldn't be given scuba gear (the punctured lung), but why didn't Walter take an oxygen tank and mask for himself?  That way, he could have stayed with the kid and keep him from panicking.  Also, if Walter had had a white board and a grease pencil, they could have spent their time underwater doing math puzzles together to keep his mind off his predicament.  (20/20 hindsight!)

Edited by Gregg247
  • Love 1

Seems that Team Scorpion has taken the Tony Stark / Iron Man approach towards secret identities. Homeland did not restrict media access to the rescue site. "The smartest man in the world - not named Stephen Hawking - is leading the rescue efforts ....."

his was about Team Scorpion using their smarts and skills to help out a situation where there wasn't a bad guy, but someone's life was in peril.

That, and the fact that they didn't have to hack anything for this "mission". At least, not that I can remember. Every mission it felt like the team has to prove their genius statuses by hacking into something. 

• Love 2

That, and the fact that they didn't have to hack anything for this "mission". At least, not that I can remember. Every mission it felt like the team has to prove their genius statuses by hacking into something. 

After Team Scorpion eliminates all terrorists and organized crime elements, they will join up with Chicago Fire.

• Love 3

I like Walter's sister (apparently so do the producers, as they keep trying to find ways of including her in each episode).  I especially liked how she finally told Sylvester to grow a pair and start behaving like an adult instead of a big baby.  

Eh, phobias aren't something you just "walk off" and overcome through one pep talk, though. I would rather see Sylvester decide to get therapy for his phobias (possibly working with Toby since he feels comfortable with him?) than have the Magic Hot Chick give him a come-to-Jesus speech and a kiss on the cheek and "cure" him.

• Love 4

I am embarrassed to say that even though it was predictable and far-fetched... I cried when they got him out. I'm such a sap.

Yeah. Me too. Three f'in' Kleenexes worth.

...since he fell unconscious, why didn't his primitive brain kick in & make him start using his lungs to breathe?

Based on one of my near-drowning experiences (I love beaches) in which I had "the wind knocked out of me" by a wave and was laying on the bottom looking up peacefully at the sky through water, I would assume that the water pressure on the outside of his chest and the lack of oxygen in his lungs superseded the urge to take oxygen into his lungs--but that could be wrong.

Eh, phobias aren't something you just "walk off" and overcome through one pep talk, though. I would rather see Sylvester decide to get therapy for his phobias (possibly working with Toby since he feels comfortable with him?) than have the Magic Hot Chick give him a come-to-Jesus speech and a kiss on the cheek and "cure" him.

Yes, if Sylvester no longer has any phobias, that will be a retcon too far IMO. But if it was a one-off in the heat of the adrenaline fueled moment that gives him and Toby a reference point to shoot for, that would work. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
Yeah, that's what I meant. On TV and in movies, folks always seem to pull out and/ or away when stuff's hooked up to something/-one important to the story, instead of pushing back/ behind.

I don't think the issue there was "out" vs "in". I think the issue was "where it seems like rocks are about to fall" vs "where it seems like maybe they won't". The problem wasn't where they moved the machine, it was where the tubing still lay within the fall area. Or Walter was so focused on not having the machine crushed he totally forgot that, hey, the whole point is something's attached to it and still going down farther, and rocks falling in between may not have had a possible path where the tubes could be and not be crushed. So they might've been screwed either way. Or maybe if they'd had a few seconds more there would've been somewhere they could re-drape the tubing so it would've been in a pocket. But basically they needed to move both, but only suceeded in moving one.

This show held tension alright, but I felt like it did it in a really cheap way. My primitive brain made me stress from the plot, not good writing. A countdown is built in suspense, even if you know there's no way they'd let the kid drown on the show, still tension because it played out like almost live, and because it did seem so impossible.

The faux news broadcasters from six feet away from the scene realllllllly reallllllly annoyed me. "Oh look, we're on their wifi, therefore we'll give you a live feed". What the fuck, fake newslady, what the fuck.

• Love 5

...The faux news broadcasters from six feet away from the scene realllllllly reallllllly annoyed me. "Oh look, we're on their wifi, therefore we'll give you a live feed". What the fuck, fake newslady, what the fuck.

LOL! Exactly!

This show is both perfect for hate watching and release crying. What more could anyone want?

...The problem wasn't where they moved the machine, it was where the tubing still lay within the fall area....

Not only should Walter have been using oxygen tanks, but he should have been putting a supportive outer tubing around the flexible tubing. But, what can we expect a genius to do in only 42 minutes? Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

LOL! Exactly!

This show is both perfect for hate watching and release crying. What more could anyone want?

Not only should Walter have been using oxygen tanks, but he should have been putting a supportive outer tubing around the flexible tubing. But, what can we expect a genius to do in only 42 minutes?

He should have texted the hospital "40 ft tubing" instead of getting the voice garbled 14 ft

• Love 2

I like the actress who plays Megan and I like the character, but the whole I'm dying from MS and need to be in a full time nursing facility because I have crutches thing is really pissing me off. Hell, they didn't even have the explanation of MS right with their "it kills nerve endings" thing. Um. No. I have MS and while I don't have any permanent physical symptoms, save some numbness in my right hand, I have had some extremely severe MS flares in the past. I woke up once and thought I was blind (that's how it originally started), had a second flare affecting my eyes a couple years later, and the last 2 flares have been physical numbness, the first progressively getting worse until the only body parts I had feeling in was my left arm and my neck up. My neuro was amazed I could even walk given how hard he was stabbing my feet and I couldn't even feel it. He did laugh when my right arm, which was the hardest hit by the attack, completely fell off the desk I had rested it on and went crashing down since I wasn't paying attention to it and couldn't feel it. His med student took one look at my hand that had curled up like a lobster claw  and crossed fingers I couldn't control and asked me what caused it. Uh, the MS, dumbass. Did I go check into a nursing home? Nope. I did get a 3 day course of IV steroids in my living room and my very own IV pole to keep (that's happened twice). Yes, MS tends to be a progressive illness, but they write Megan like she's got a terminal illness and could die at any second. It's really insulting. Hell, even when I was first diagnosed 12 years ago when I was 26 and terrified, I knew I could end up in a wheel chair or paralyzed, but dead, not so much. 

• Love 6

Good lord this was crap.  Even for this show, this was crap.

The whole thing was eyerollworthy, but worst of all was probably the bits with the Reporter. I don't know if I feel sorry for the actress playing the Reporter for having such bad lines to read, or mad at her for delivering them so badly.

There were at least two reporters, maybe three.  Since they were each a different ethnicity, you would think I could tell them apart.  Instead I left the closed captioning on and hit mute.  They did re-direct the role of exposition fairy from a regular cast member.

My biggest gripe is the traffic.  Where is it?  A nice Christmas Eve would have a much more crowded beach and streets.  And how is it that they can drive anywhere in Los Angeles without getting on a freeway or at least a six lane boulevard?  

I like the show.  I like the actors.  I wish the scripts showed as much respect for the intelligence of the viewers as they do for the intelligence of the characters.

• Love 1

There were at least two reporters, maybe three.  Since they were each a different ethnicity, you would think I could tell them apart.  Instead I left the closed captioning on and hit mute.  They did re-direct the role of exposition fairy from a regular cast member.

My biggest gripe is the traffic.  Where is it?  A nice Christmas Eve would have a much more crowded beach and streets.  And how is it that they can drive anywhere in Los Angeles without getting on a freeway or at least a six lane boulevard?  

I like the show.  I like the actors.  I wish the scripts showed as much respect for the intelligence of the viewers as they do for the intelligence of the characters.

Besides the cash he's getting from it, I hope the real Walter O'Brian (who looks far more like Ari Stidham--aka Sylvester--than Elyes Gabel) is getting a good laugh out of this.

I loved this episode.  I need a good dose of emotional manipulation around this time of year to counteract creeping Grinchitis.

"since he fell unconscious, why didn't his primitive brain kick in & make him start using his lungs to breathe?"

No, unconscious people can stop breathing, thus the need for CPR. 

Hyperoxia over an extended period of time can cause serious problems. In this case it was just long enough to keep him alive without organ damage.

Everyone that watched 24 said the same thing ... Jack Bauer can control traffic in New York and even London (where they drive on the wrong side of the road)! 

ECMO?  Are you fucking kidding me?  That was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.  I've seen some stupid medical crap on TV before, but that should win an award for being sublimely and completely unrealistic.  Apparently this show doesn't employ any geniuses!

• Love 2

Really enjoying the outrageousness that is Scorpion. thank you for pointing that out about the reporter, I thought that was really messed up with displaying the video chat.

I was so amused with the Skype product placement. Really, Skype? In the cave underground?

• Love 1

Really enjoying the outrageousness that is Scorpion. thank you for pointing that out about the reporter, I thought that was really messed up with displaying the video chat.

I was so amused with the Skype product placement. Really, Skype? In the cave underground?

Homeland Security phones ALWAYS get 4 bars on [insert Wireless Carrier Name]

• Love 2

And they happened to have one of those water proof cell phones that oddly died when water reached the top... 

Move over Atlas! here comes Sylvester to put the weight of the world in his shoulders! Thanks to Megan to make him snap out of it.. at least she didn't say to him "the kid down there is dying so do I and you are afraid?"

Just in time for X-mas Paige's ex decided to go away to throw some pitches? in winter? near Christmas? yeah right!

I like the actress who plays Megan and I like the character, but the whole I'm dying from MS and need to be in a full time nursing facility because I have crutches thing is really pissing me off. Hell, they didn't even have the explanation of MS right with their "it kills nerve endings" thing. Um. No. I have MS and while I don't have any permanent physical symptoms, save some numbness in my right hand, I have had some extremely severe MS flares in the past. I woke up once and thought I was blind (that's how it originally started), had a second flare affecting my eyes a couple years later, and the last 2 flares have been physical numbness, the first progressively getting worse until the only body parts I had feeling in was my left arm and my neck up. My neuro was amazed I could even walk given how hard he was stabbing my feet and I couldn't even feel it. He did laugh when my right arm, which was the hardest hit by the attack, completely fell off the desk I had rested it on and went crashing down since I wasn't paying attention to it and couldn't feel it. His med student took one look at my hand that had curled up like a lobster claw and crossed fingers I couldn't control and asked me what caused it. Uh, the MS, dumbass. Did I go check into a nursing home? Nope. I did get a 3 day course of IV steroids in my living room and my very own IV pole to keep (that's happened twice). Yes, MS tends to be a progressive illness, but they write Megan like she's got a terminal illness and could die at any second. It's really insulting. Hell, even when I was first diagnosed 12 years ago when I was 26 and terrified, I knew I could end up in a wheel chair or paralyzed, but dead, not so much.

I think Megan actually has a rarer form of MS that is fatal. I'm pretty sure it was given a specific name a couple episodes ago. Although I totally get being annoyed at tv getting your illness wrong. I get people acting like I'm some kind of drama queen because they think asthma is a kids problem largely thanks to tv. Ironically Asthma is often more serious and deadly than tv gives it credit for.

Edited by Emily Thrace

...I need a good dose of emotional manipulation around this time of year to counteract creeping Grinchitis....

This episode is also prescribed, 3-Kleenex viewing for anyone who has been bullied in the manner of Tiny Tim by a boss or cop who is suffering from Grinchitis.
  • Love 2

I think Megan actually has a rarer form of MS that is fatal. I'm pretty sure it was given a specific name a couple episodes ago. Although I totally get being annoyed at tv getting your illness wrong. I get people acting like I'm some kind of drama queen because they think asthma is a kids problem largely thanks to tv. Ironically Asthma is often more serious and deadly than tv gives it credit for.

I like when shows get epilepsy wrong.

• Love 1

This was the first episode to actually capture me emotionally. Happy going back to the lab to make an alligator clip after growing up watching Emergency seemed far fetched and the only point that drew me out of the episode. I guess Walter being the only one to think a rescue was possible meant he was the only one to risk all. But the Sylvester playing Hercules and holding up the mountain was just... I don't have the words for it.

• Love 1

When I first saw Walter's sister, it drove me nuts because I just couldn't remember where I saw her before. Then it hit me---the old Las Vegas show with James Caan and Josh Duhamel. I think she was only on during the last season.

As for her MS, according to Web MD, it's not considered a fatal disease. There is a more rare form called Progressive/Relapsing, but it's not considered fatal like stage four cancer tends to be. I have a close friend who has this type of MS, and he's had it for more than 30 years. He progressed to having to be in a wheelchair quite quickly, but he's still very much alive. I just hope this show portrays the disease correctly and doesn't screw it up via

I like this show, mostly because it's not a silly "reality" show, but a scripted one. At the beginning, I really didn't think I'd like it, but it's growing on me.

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 1