Type keyword(s) to search

What New Foods Have You Tried?: Like It? Hate It? Share Here!

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

I found a unique restaurant when I was on vacation with the grandchildren. We tried rabbit, wild boar sausage and venison steak. Then the eldest g’son had an elk burger. I love it when I can get them away from their normal diet and try new things. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I found a unique restaurant when I was on vacation with the grandchildren. We tried rabbit, wild boar sausage and venison steak. Then the eldest g’son had an elk burger. I love it when I can get them away from their normal diet and try new things. 

Was this in Williamsburg?  Which restaurant?  I love the places I eat when I go there, but I'm always looking for new ones, too. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Was this in Williamsburg?  Which restaurant?  I love the places I eat when I go there, but I'm always looking for new ones, too. 

Yes, it was there. It was called the Huntsman. Near the Great Wolf Lodge. It was a bit expensive for what you got, (daughter had a pasta/Alfredo/Chicken dish, but there was no bread at the table and a side salad was extra) but had some unique things to try. 

The better place we tried was Paul’s Deli across from the football arena/dorms of William and Mary. Great Greek food. 6D22F173-5EBB-4887-91F2-BC498ED618AE.thumb.jpeg.704a1414f37dc574a194bfa7002b399f.jpeg

Greek salad with spanakopita. 

1F2330C6-8DC1-4874-9E69-9808BF736B5C.thumb.jpeg.3425f688e7d1f0a87616a61c60b9df38.jpeg

Dolmathakias (stuffed grape leaves). 

Sincerely either of these two would have been enough for me; they had huge portions. 

I was at the Starbucks in my local Target this morning and ordered the “Pink Drink” (real name) because I didn’t feel like coffee or iced tea, but I was really thirsty and wanted something refreshing (and I was up at 6:30 pulling weeds so though I deserved a treat.). It was delicious! Fruity, vaguely coconutty, a little effervescent. I got a medium, and then made my husband get me a venti on the way out (I was too embarrassed to get another one myself). It’s combination of their Strawberry Acai Refreshers drink, with coconut milk and freeze dried strawberries. It’s a little sweet but not too sweet. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

It’s a little sweet but not too sweet. 

You can ask them to cut back on the sweetener. I did the 2nd time I ordered the Strawberries & Cream frappucino & it was so much better. Now I'm craving that delicious drink!

• LOL 1
(edited)

@MargeGunderson I’m posting this to you here because we are not supposed to comment on the Question of the Day thread. Cipriani pasta is on sale at Harris Teeter for $2 backs less than Fresh Market. I bought 4 boxes. 

Have you tried the Rao’s jarred pasta sauce? Not bad if you are using it for lasagna (or whatever) and don’t have homemade. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
To fix run on words without a space between them.
14 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

@MargeGunderson I’m postthis to you here because we are not supposed to comment on the Question of the Day thread. Cipriani pasta is on sale at Harris Teeter for $2 backs less than Fresh Market. I bought 4 boxes. 

Have you tried the Rao’s jarred pasta sauce? Not bad if you are using it for lasagna (or whatever) and don’t have homemade. 

Oh, I wish we had a Harris Teeter here! I'm in the Northeast, so no HT. It's odd that we have a Fresh Market in this area. I usually keep a couple of jars of Rao's around, it's the easily the best of the jarred sauces!

• Love 2
On 7/15/2019 at 5:40 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Speaking as someone raised on homemade sauce, Rao's is absolutely the best jarred sauce you can buy.  It's a little expensive for jarred sauce, but absolutely worth it if you don't feel like making your own.  

• Love 3
On 7/9/2019 at 9:09 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I blame @Jaded and @chessiegal for this! But my store had the Magnum ice cream tubs on sale, and I just tried the double chocolate. It is NOT crack. It's worse. But OMG!

Soooooooo good. I think I gained 10 lb just looking at it. But YUM!

On 7/11/2019 at 1:24 PM, janestclair said:

The Magnum pints with cherry ice cream are divine too.  

On 7/13/2019 at 1:27 AM, Gramto6 said:

I am weeping sad tears as my store doesn't  have the Magnum Tubs. 😢. But then I live in the boonies in MT....

I finally tried the one I had in my freezer a couple weeks ago after I got two more. I kind of wished I had tried that one before purchasing additional pints. I had coupons though and they were on sale so I feel a bit better having not paid full price for any of the ones that have made it into my freezer. The amount of hard chocolate kind of annoyed me with the one I've consumed so far because it felt like there was more of that then actual ice cream. I guess for me the chocolate crackle kind of overpowered the vanilla which to me wasn't very flavorful and kind of bland to be in such an expensive ice cream brand. Maybe the varieties with more then just the chocolate crackle and vanilla ice cream are better? 😕

(edited)
On 7/15/2019 at 3:40 PM, Mindthinkr said:

I love Rao's pasta sauce! I got my first jars from Amazon, but lately found it at Target for a better price. Although I just looked and Amazon has a bunch of different flavors I might have to try.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I love Rao's pasta sauce! I got my first jars from Amazon, but lately found it at Target for a better price. Although I just looked and Amazon has a bunch of different flavors I might have to try.

I found that my cheapest source is Walmart. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Has anyone tried a Torta Caprese?

I saw Giada make one and I'm kinda obsessed with it but I have a very fraught relationship with chocolate so I'm not sure I want to commit the time to one. 

If you've tried it please let me know what the texture is like!

13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

~shudder~ A friend was talking about how much she & a relative loved caramelized onion hummus (made and sold by Wegmans). It sounded good so I bought it. Egads...it was awful. OTT sweet mixed into hummus. What was I thinking? 

I didn't think that was awful, but I wouldn't buy it again. On the other hand, I could bathe in the Wegmans cilantro jalapeno hummus it's so good.  

On 8/14/2019 at 1:12 AM, GaT said:

I tried a Burger King Impossible burger tonight. I say tried because I tried to eat it but was so disgusted by it, I only managed 2 bites.

I have loved the Impossible burger when I've had it at bar/grill establishments.  I haven't had the BK one, but wondering if it's different in some way? I would imagine that cost-wise, it would have to be?

On 8/15/2019 at 7:01 AM, larapu2000 said:

I have loved the Impossible burger when I've had it at bar/grill establishments.  I haven't had the BK one, but wondering if it's different in some way? I would imagine that cost-wise, it would have to be?

It could be, but honestly, after the BK one, I don't see myself trying one anywhere again.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 1

Almond Breeze Yogurt. My grocery store offered it as a freebie om their loyalty card. It was okay - vanilla with almonds and some other crunchy bits to stir in. If I was lactose intolerant, I might be okay with it, but I've tasted other non-dairy yogurts that were better.

This is probably really unhelpful to anyone who doesn't live in the Sacramento area, but I just wanted to post about my love of The Nugget's Thai Sesame Salad Dressing. It's the first commercial salad dressing that I've liked in over six years I think. Soy Vay used to have a Chinese Chicken salad dressing that was very good, but as far as I can tell they discontinued it. I don't have a recipe for The Nugget's dressing, but if I ever find one, I'll make sure to post it here.

10 hours ago, piccadilly83 said:

This is probably really unhelpful to anyone who doesn't live in the Sacramento area, but I just wanted to post about my love of The Nugget's Thai Sesame Salad Dressing. It's the first commercial salad dressing that I've liked in over six years I think. Soy Vay used to have a Chinese Chicken salad dressing that was very good, but as far as I can tell they discontinued it. I don't have a recipe for The Nugget's dressing, but if I ever find one, I'll make sure to post it here.

Here you go: 

https://www.nuggetmarket.com/recipes/305/thai-peanut-dressing/

Oops it is peanut, not sesame, but that should be an easy substitute.

Edited by Gramto6
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

Here you go: 

Yes, that is peanut thai dressing. I actually don't think it's an easy substitute. The peanut thai dressing linked above has peanut butter in its base.  The Thai Sesame Dressing definitely does not have any peanut butter, nor any tahini, which is the only thing I can think of that would come close to peanut butter. You know what, when I get the chance, I'll go and check the ingredient list and then post it here.

• Love 1

My grocery store gave me an electronic coupon for a free Duncan Hines single serving cake - I got Chips A'Hoy flavor. Add water and microwave. It wasn't bad, and was even better when I put some Breyers vanilla ice cream on it. I was craving something sweet and had no cookies or candy in the house, so it hit the spot. Not sure what it costs but it might be worth an emergency supply of something sweet. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My grocery store gave me an electronic coupon for a free Duncan Hines single serving cake - I got Chips A'Hoy flavor. Add water and microwave. It wasn't bad, and was even better when I put some Breyers vanilla ice cream on it. I was craving something sweet and had no cookies or candy in the house, so it hit the spot. Not sure what it costs but it might be worth an emergency supply of something sweet. 

There are tips online that suggest ways to make the mug cakes taste better. One is to use milk instead of water as the required liquid. 

• Useful 2
6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Thanks for the reminder!  I "clipped" that coupon, then totally forgot about it.  I still have another week...I'll try to remember to go pick one up. 

I decided to try Ghirardelli's chocolate brownie mix that gets microwaved in a mug. If you really love chocolate, this is for you. It was too much for me, but with equal parts vanilla ice cream it was okay. My husband loved it.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I decided to try Ghirardelli's chocolate brownie mix that gets microwaved in a mug. If you really love chocolate, this is for you. It was too much for me, but with equal parts vanilla ice cream it was okay. My husband loved it.

I've tried those.  The flavor's great, but I found the texture to be more like a cake than a brownie.  I'm not complaining, mind you, I just have to remind myself to expect "cake".

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Just underbake them. That's what I do, and the end result is very fudgy and not cakey at all.

My husband did this today - 55 seconds instead of 65. He said it was much better. Thanks for the tip.

• Love 1
On 9/18/2019 at 6:34 PM, piccadilly83 said:
On 9/18/2019 at 4:37 PM, Gramto6 said:

Here you go: 

Yes, that is peanut thai dressing. I actually don't think it's an easy substitute. The peanut thai dressing linked above has peanut butter in its base.  The Thai Sesame Dressing definitely does not have any peanut butter, nor any tahini, which is the only thing I can think of that would come close to peanut butter. You know what, when I get the chance, I'll go and check the ingredient list and then post it here.

So I finally checked the ingredients for this dressing. If you can't read the label in the photo the ingredients are sesame oil, canola oil and olive oil, soy sauce, sugar, rice vinegar, tahini, cilantro, garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper.

The two recipes do appear to be similar. The only difference I can see are the tahini in place of the peanut butter, and the use of sesame oil. Hopefully the proportions of the ingredients are the same as well. 

Thank you, GRAMTO6.

IMG_2495.JPG

Edited by piccadilly83
  • Love 1

I normally get my sausage from a local butcher shop or sometimes Sprouts (they make it in-house there), but I recently bought some pre-packaged at the grocery store in order to buy everything in one place.  I got a package of Papa Cantella's hot Italian sausage, and a package of their turkey version. 

Wow - I am impressed with how similar to the real thing the turkey version tastes.  Both versions are high in sodium, but the turkey version has less than half the fat of the pork sausage yet still tastes almost as good.  And both have minimal ingredients, and all natural ingredients.  

44 minutes ago, Sweedish Fish said:

Oui yogurt.  Delicious.  I usually find yogurt to be to tart for my taste.  This one is smooth and very creamy.  Mango or Honey are my favorites.

image.png.40136ccba86a0620c68270bf5109265e.png

image.png

image.png

And their jars are so cute!  I even ordered the lids for them!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Sweedish Fish said:

Oui yogurt.  Delicious.  I usually find yogurt to be to tart for my taste

This was my cat's favorite yogurt.  You could tell it was tart to her because she'd eat a bite, scrunch up her nose and shake her head.  Then go back for more. 

And I don't care what scientists say about cats not being able to taste sweet.  She had a sweet tooth almost from the time she came out of the womb!

• LOL 1

43 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Well yes, but I was hoping for a first hand recommendation of lids that work, rather than leaving it up to chance on the internets.

I believe when I looked into it, turns out Yoplait sells them.

15 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I believe when I looked into it, turns out Yoplait sells them.

Yep you can literally buy them from the Oui website. If you don’t want to pay the premium they are basically small weck jars so anything made for those will work and be a lot cheaper.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Wait they have lids??!! I need to get those as I use the jars when I'm cooking or need small jars for lunches at work.

I ordered from Oui lids online - they were $3.99 for 4 lids, and the shipping price was small, via USPS.  They came quickly, too.

• Love 1