Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion: The apple was poisoned?!

• Start Topic

That was the most convoluted non-answer I've ever seen. So, they have different motives? No shit! I didn't think they all wanted whatever it is Gothel wants, because I assume that is some stupid personal vendetta or something. And one will turn good? Just one? Ok, that is surprising since I assumed they'd all be misunderstood heroes who were wronged by children in their past. 

• Love 4

Any new scoop on the Coven of Eight on Once Upon a Time? — Jason
Just that it sounds like some of the Coven may not necessarily evil. “Some of them turn out to be not quite the personalities or the figureheads that they seem to be,” Andrew J. West tells me. “We’re going to see some people had different goals all along and those will be revealed down the line. There could be some characters that are way more complex than just evil or just good. We’ll see some characters who had intentions that you could label as evil that could start to change or see the light. Who will that be? Will that be Gothel? We don’t know yet.”

I am totally convinced that Wish EQ or split from Regina EQ joined the Coven of Eight. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

I am totally convinced that Wish EQ or split from Regina EQ joined the Coven of Eight

Why not both? And Original Recipe Evil Queen and Mayor Regina Evil Queen, there's four. We just need 4 more iterations of Regina and we're set. Or we could do four Regina's 2-3 Zelina's and round it out with a couple Gothels. 

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 3

"No wire hangers, EVER!!!!!" 

I know she's not a fairytale character, nor really a literary character (though there is a book about her so maybe that counts) but I'd LOVE to see Mommy Dearest on the show. Not the real Joan Crawford, but the cracked out drag queen version Faye Dunaway portrayed in the movie. She would give the Evil Queen a run for her drag queen money. 

Last scene of Season 7.  Seated at a long picnic table beside the food truck, lovingly sharing a meal of beignets are... Tremaine, Gothel, Jacinda, Drizella, Anastasia, Lucy, Nick, Tiana, Dr. Facilier, Naveen, Henry, Alice, Whook, Roni, Weaver, Zelena, Robin and 8 Witches of the Coven.  What's a Dark Curse between family?  This show is totally not crowded at all, only 20+ characters vying for screentime.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Camera One said:

Last scene of Season 7.  Seated at a long picnic table beside the food truck, lovingly sharing a meal of beignets are... Tremaine, Gothel, Jacinda, Drizella, Anastasia, Lucy, Nick, Tiana, Dr. Facilier, Naveen, Henry, Alice, Whook, Roni, Weaver, Zelena, Robin and 8 Witches of the Coven.  What's a Dark Curse between family?  This show is totally not crowded at all, only 20+ characters vying for screentime.

Yikes, A&E really just threw a bunch of characters there and it doesn't help that there doesn't seem to be much of an overarching storyline that connects all the characters, it's mostly LIs and/or underdeveloped villains.

Edited by Free
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Souris said:

Look who's directing an ep.

There seems something perhaps loaded about that....

Soooo... the reason JMo couldn’t direct in previous seasons “because of contract reasons” was because otherwise Lana would complain. And while renegotiating for the new season, she clearly had them add it to her contract. Okay. 

• Love 9

Given all the positive response on Twitter, I guess that episode's ratings will go through the roof, eh?

What a unique title.  That was the series finale of "Buffy".  Who's chosen this time?  Whoever is annointed as The Guardian?  

Lana directing means that she won't be in the episode much nor the episodes surrounding it due to the amount of work that goes into pre and post production. These people can act excited all they want, but the truth is that they want to see Lana onscreen, not behind the camera and Regina being sidelined for multiple episodes won't make them happy. On the other hand, if you don't really care for Regina, this is excellent news.

I 100% believe this is one of the main reasons Lana came back, cause she wanted to direct. Little does she realize probably that directing is great and all, but when it's on a show nobody is even watching....it's not really something you want to put on your credentials.

"I directed an episode that delivered a 0.3!" iIsn't really something to brag about

And by this point in the season OUAT will absolutely be suffering from DST and have drops in it's ratings. It's already the lowest rated show on the network and those ratings will get worse.

On the plus side though it means little to no Regina, on the negative side, it means...more Cinderella. 

Edited by cappoe
6 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

Lana directing means that she won't be in the episode much nor the episodes surrounding it due to the amount of work that goes into pre and post production.

I’m not so sure about that. People direct and act at the same time. Lana is probably the eponymous “chosen” one of the episode.

Why the sudden interest in directing, I wonder? Is Lana attempting to diversify her portfolio post-haste now that OUAT is on its last legs?

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 5
Just now, Rumsy4 said:

I’m not so sure about that. People direct and act at the same time. Lana is probably the eponymous “chosen” one of the episode.

Why the sudden interest in directing, I wonder? Is Lana attempting to diversify her portfolio post-haste now that OUAT is on its last legs?

She probably knows OUAT isn't getting another season.

7 hours ago, Camera One said:

Given all the positive response on Twitter, I guess that episode's ratings will go through the roof, eh?

Going from the past DST is when all shows suffer drops and this will be 7x17, so it's probably gonna be another series low. 

• Love 2

Didn’t Adam post on twitter (and then deleted his tweet) that they’d even offered JMo the chance to direct an episode this season? This was in defense to all the twitter complaints that they hadn’t offered JMo a good enough deal to stay.

The thing is, JMo already got into directing short projects long before A&E offered her that extra, and that wasn’t a good enough reason for her to stay behind. I have a feeling that they might have offered Lana the chance to direct just to spite JMo. Or maybe I’m reading too much into this, and Lana genuinely wanted to try her hand at this. 

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 6
55 minutes ago, cappoe said:

She probably knows OUAT isn't getting another season.

Going from the past DST is when all shows suffer drops and this will be 7x17, so it's probably gonna be another series low. 

True, OuaT has hit a new low every Spring based on its history and this time it's on Fridays.

• Love 1

Little does she realize probably that directing is great and all, but when it's on a show nobody is even watching....it's not really something you want to put on your credentials.

"I directed an episode that delivered a 0.3!" iIsn't really something to brag about

Everyone has to start somewhere.  I don't think that it's too surprising that an actor wants to try directing when they have the chance, since that has happened in the latter seasons of many shows. It's also a "safer" environment since they know the crew and if they have a good relationship with their colleagues, they would also make the experience easier.  Directing an episode on a prime time show on network TV would be something new to add to her resume.  People who hire aren't stupid.  If they are judging her ability to direct, they would look at her directing ability within the episode, not the ratings, which are caused by a multitude of different factors.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 8

I hate to say it but, as an aging actress it's smart for her to try her hand behind the scene's now. And like you said Camera One, she's in a safe environment working with a cast and crew she knows well. Hell, most actors on long standing shows try to direct at some point. It's kind of a natural progression. And directing a good episode of a crappy show is still directing a good episode, so it won't hurt her, so long as she does a good job with her ep.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

I would assume this was a condition of her staying on for S7. I'm sure she gets paid more for it and it goes on her resume. At least we now have confirmation that A&E and the network really don't give a crap about the quality of the show! Given how much work would have to go into pre-production, how exactly did Lana swing a lengthy international vacation over the New Year's holiday? Whatevs - glad JMo and Robert never lowered themselves to directing this train wreck.

I get the feeling that directing an episode of a television show is just being part of a well-oiled machine. Even Adam has directed an episode. I doubt there's much room for any of the directors to put in personal touches. TV shows typically have a director or two who do a bunch of episodes, but also several more who just direct one or two, and have no idea of the overall plot or characters. At least Lana is familiar with the Show. 

• Love 1

Synopsis for upcoming episode 'Chosen'...

Regina spends a day of deep reflection over all aspects of her life. Using flashbacks and clips to show all the highlights of her epic journey from childhood to villian to hero to the Chosen Saviour of HH. You will see every nuanced moment of her tragic life. Her trauma with everyone rejecting her lasagne, the stress of murdering all those innocents, the drama of her ingrown toenail and the pain of killing her rape victim of 28 years.  But there will be laughs, too, from her sizzling hilarious barbs that she throws at that blonde woman who used to be on our show, the one that saved our heroine from the Darkness, and we will definitely relive all of Regina's hysterical zingers thrown at the disabled and the people whose lives she destroyed;  so much fun.

If you think it can't get any better than watching the Chosen murder and torture her misunderstood way through the Enchanted Forest, and gaslight her child, then you are dead wrong. Even more dead wrong than that Percival who dared to seek retribution for the wanton destruction of his family and village! Because you also get a special feature on s6 with TWO Reginas. 

Your journey through Regina's past will be narrated by the lady herself. 

'Chosen'...directed by Lana Parilla. Starring Lana Parilla. 

Guest stars...well...who cares!

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, PixiePaws1 said:

Synopsis for upcoming episode 'Chosen'...

Regina spends a day of deep reflection over all aspects of her life. Using flashbacks and clips to show all the highlights of her epic journey from childhood to villian to hero to the Chosen Saviour of HH. You will see every nuanced moment of her tragic life. Her trauma with everyone rejecting her lasagne, the stress of murdering all those innocents, the drama of her ingrown toenail and the pain of killing her rape victim of 28 years.  But there will be laughs, too, from her sizzling hilarious barbs that she throws at that blonde woman who used to be on our show, the one that saved our heroine from the Darkness, and we will definitely relive all of Regina's hysterical zingers thrown at the disabled and the people whose lives she destroyed;  so much fun.

If you think it can't get any better than watching the Chosen murder and torture her misunderstood way through the Enchanted Forest, and gaslight her child, then you are dead wrong. Even more dead wrong than that Percival who dared to seek retribution for the wanton destruction of his family and village! Because you also get a special feature on s6 with TWO Reginas. 

Your journey through Regina's past will be narrated by the lady herself. 

'Chosen'...directed by Lana Parilla. Starring Lana Parilla. 

Guest stars...well...who cares!

So basically a Regina clip show that takes up an episode...

• Love 1

Episode description for "Chosen": As a young woman, back when she looked exactly the same as now, Gothel was originally chosen as The Guardian.  But she was too scared and didn't want the responsibility.  One day, while she was crying in her Garden, she heard a voice.  It was Evil Grandmother Willow, tempting her with a deal.  If she promised to take care of The Garden of Forking Paths of Evil, she would give Gothel Magical Shears, uh, no, a Magical Hand-Saw, to cut away her Guardian-ship.  Gothel agreed but once she used the saw to hack away her Guardian-ship, everything went wrong.  Her true love was mortally wounded, and because she wasn't Guardian, she wasn't able to save him, though one breath remained in his body.  She became determined to find the next Guardian through whatever means possible.  And I almost forgot, Gothel was Princess Aurora as a child.  There are so many similarities, like they were both blond and you know how Gothel gave Rogers a cake, well, remember Flora, Fauna and Merriweather also made a cake.  So many Easter Eggs to look forward to, everyone, and if you were really observant, there were A TON of clues in 7A.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2
On 1/17/2018 at 9:34 AM, Camera One said:

I don't think that it's too surprising that an actor wants to try directing when they have the chance

Actors directing episodes is pretty much standard operating procedure. Tom Welling and other cast members directed episodes of Smallville. Shannen Doherty directed some Charmed. Almost every show I've watched has that. 

Getting made a producer is another thing that's done after so many years.

2 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Shannen Doherty directed some Charmed.

Shannen Doherty directed her very last episode before she got fired from Charmed so she unknowingly directed her character's actual death. Just a fun fact for fun fact fans!

Edited by superloislane
  • Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:18 AM, Rumsy4 said:

Thinking this over, I don't think its that sudden.  I think its more of a progression in her desire to have input to the story than it is an interest in directing.

Lana always seemed like the one most invested in pushing specific character developments for Regina.  Then there was that weird series of interviews at the beginning of the season where she was pushing how tight the cast was and how she was the mother figure, that A&E pitched the reboot to her for approval, and that she had tons of input into the development of Roni's personality and wardrobe.  So I can see directing as the next logical step in a desire to be central to the creative process vs wanting to build a directing resume.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:40 PM, Rumsy4 said:

I get the feeling that directing an episode of a television show is just being part of a well-oiled machine. Even Adam has directed an episode. I doubt there's much room for any of the directors to put in personal touches. TV shows typically have a director or two who do a bunch of episodes, but also several more who just direct one or two, and have no idea of the overall plot or characters. At least Lana is familiar with the Show. 

That probably depends how badly someone not ready to direct wants to be a director.  Case in point.  Walking Dead and Greg Nicotero.  You could test me...  I can pick out every episode he directs because he loves to go to the cheesy gimmick shot that no self respecting director would ever employ and every desperate wannabe does.

19 hours ago, Camera One said:

By this point, Lana knows exactly what A&E want from an episode.  Villain actors, after you kill someone, we'll need a lingering sadface shot.

And if your child has just barley escaped death and is huddled in the corner only half recovered, you must never look in your child's direction or acknowledge their presence.

I will never forget.  And I still want to know if it was the writers, the director, or editor.  Morons, all of you.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Lana always seemed like the one most invested in pushing specific character developments for Regina.  Then there was that weird series of interviews at the beginning of the season where she was pushing how tight the cast was and how she was the mother figure, that A&E pitched the reboot to her for approval, and that she had tons of input into the development of Roni's personality and wardrobe.  So I can see directing as the next logical step in a desire to be central to the creative process vs wanting to build a directing resume.

That's a fantastic point. It seems clear in retrospect she also had this directing stint in mind when talking about all the creative input she had this Season.

It's interesting that Lana now gets to direct an episode (and must have put it into her contract) because Jen said in an interview around season 4 time that she would love to direct an episode but they wouldn't let her:

You directed a short film called Warning Labels. Would you now like to direct an episode of Once Upon A Time?

A: I would love to direct an episode [laughs] but I don’t think they’d let me. It’s usually something that’s contractual; it would need to be in my contract and it’s not, but who knows what the future holds? Maybe if they see the short film and they like it they’ll change their minds. But I definitely will be doing more directing, whether it’s on Once Upon A Time or not.

And then last year at a convention (when she had left the show) she mentioned how directing an episode is all about politics and who can do what and when and how she still wouldn't be allowed to do it and she switched her position saying she didn't want to direct a tv episode at all

It all strikes me as a bit...slimy as someone else said.

• Love 8

To be fair, I'm pretty sure they would have said yes to her directing, if she had agreed to stay for Season 7.  But I can understand why this would not be enough for Jennifer Morrison.  At the end of the day, she would still be a slave to the script.  If she had stayed on the show, I think she saw she would be playing same-old, same-old.  The actors playing her parents were gone, the actor playing her original son was gone.  She would be once again playing off/segregated to mostly Regina and Hook, which was her main MO for the last few seasons anyway.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Camera One said:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure they would have said yes to her directing, if she had agreed to stay for Season 7.

I think they could have let her direct an episode in Season 6 once she indicated she was leaving, if they really wanted to entice her.  Considering how ill-used she was, I don't think they cared that much.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Camera One said:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure they would have said yes to her directing, if she had agreed to stay for Season 7. 

But she did talk about not being able to direct due to politics around how they choose directors after she left the show, and that was after she had gone through contract negotiations. I took it to mean they didn't offer her that at all. I don't see a reason for her to lie here. Saying she was offered the opportunity to direct but she chose not to because she doesn't want to direct tv (which she says anyway at the convention) wouldn't look bad, which makes me think she wasn't offered it.

It's possible both Jen and Lana were offered the directing gig, but it's a limited director role. For Lana, who has zero experience and wouldn't know the difference anyway, it's a wonderful vanity project. For Jen, who has produced and directed multiple things including a full length film where she had full control, a limited offer didn't really appeal enough to sign on for another year playing the same boring role stuck alone in Vancouver. 

• Love 5

To be fair, even before this, Jen has been honest about wanting to move on and do different things. Directing an episode would’ve never been the make or break for her decision. It may have been one small factor but she was on this show for seven years and it was about to take a very dramatic narrative turn that she probably didn’t want to ride along for (and who could blame her). I don’t think this directing thing is a big deal in the greater scheme of this season and the show. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Camera One said:

LOL.  Here are some REAL spoilers to talk about.

Set spies have taken photos of a scene where Tilly sells beignets to Robin with Sabine in the Rollin' Bayou.  

This is just so exciting OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG.

Vacate the thread, @Camera One! I repeat - vacate the thread!!

It's weird to me that Robyn is also meant to be Kelly's daughter. Rebecca Mader doesn't look old enough to be the mother of a millenial.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, PixiePaws1 said:
1 hour ago, Camera One said:

This is just so exciting OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG.

Maybe I am over reaching but I am sensing the teensiest sliver of sarcasm...

Sarcasm?? Wonder Arrow 5 ever!!

Seriously though, while I thought those two were cute in their one scene together, I'm not yet squeezing over them. I think Alice's storyline should've been confined to Whook and whatever mysterious connection she has with Rumple. The only thing I am really interested in S7 is Whook and Alice, and that storyline is starting to be overshadowed by this Alice/Robyn romance plot. 

• Love 2

I wonder how they're going to balance the fantastical with the mundane in 7A, with half the characters in the know and the other half completely oblivious.  Mother Gothel is carrying out her Evil of all Evil plans with the Coven of Evils of all Evil, while Sabine and Tilly are out selling beignets.  

8 hours ago, Camera One said:

I wonder how they're going to balance the fantastical with the mundane in 7A, with half the characters in the know and the other half completely oblivious.  Mother Gothel is carrying out her Evil of all Evil plans with the Coven of Evils of all Evil, while Sabine and Tilly are out selling beignets.  

Probably have them stand around, do nothing and try to look menacing like the Dark Ones arc or some of them might be given insta redemptions like the Queens of Darkness arc so that gets them out of the way for the Final Battle rehash with Gothel this time around.

16 hours ago, Camera One said:

At some point they are just going to completely forget that some of the characters aren't in the know. I also expect those in the know to forget that they aren't oblivious.

On 1/19/2018 at 10:32 AM, Camera One said:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure they would have said yes to her directing, if she had agreed to stay for Season 7.  But I can understand why this would not be enough for Jennifer Morrison.  At the end of the day, she would still be a slave to the script. 

I think when the offer came, it was too little too late. JMo would've loved to direct in earlier seasons. Since she didn't get that opportunity, she went ahead and found opportunities to direct elsewhere. 

On 1/19/2018 at 2:19 PM, jhlipton said:

I think they could have let her direct an episode in Season 6 once she indicated she was leaving, if they really wanted to entice her.  Considering how ill-used she was, I don't think they cared that much.

Exactly. Directing one episode with very little creative control, and in a season where her character likely got even more sidelined by Regina and adult Henry, would not sound appealing. I get the feeling A&E had already started banking on Lana to carry the Show once their original five-year plan was completed. I'm sure they didn't really bother to sweeten the deal for JMo. And yet, it seems as if they're offended she decided to not renew her contract. Maybe they confused her with some up and coming actor who couldn't afford to turn them down. They undervalued her and Ginnifer Goodwin despite all their acting experience. Of the experienced actors in the Show, they only seemed to care about Robert Carlyle. 

Edited by Rumsy4
2 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

At some point they are just going to completely forget that some of the characters aren't in the know. I also expect those in the know to forget that they aren't oblivious.

They're going to, they've already shown to struggle to maintain consistency in a single episode let alone even more characters introduced in the back half of the season.